Page 193 of 528 FirstFirst ... 93 143 183 191 192 193 194 195 203 243 293 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,790 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So I don't want to clutter up the nin-spotting thread ever since there was that whole big discussion about people commenting in it and not linking new things, etc., and so I'd rather just avoid causing any frustration at all for those with e-mail alerts and all that jazz, but that new post of Trent in studio again, along with the pics of instruments in the past month or two from him has me thinking again about how crazy of a work ethic he has. I think he's forgotten what taking a break is at this point; he seriously puts so many other artists to shame with his level of output at this point, and it's really amazing to think that ten years ago fans were saying the exact opposite.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    So I don't want to clutter up the nin-spotting thread ever since there was that whole big discussion about people commenting in it and not linking new things, etc., and so I'd rather just avoid causing any frustration at all for those with e-mail alerts and all that jazz, but that new post of Trent in studio again, along with the pics of instruments in the past month or two from him has me thinking again about how crazy of a work ethic he has.
    I've always found it to be inspiring, aside from his actual music.

Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I think he's forgotten what taking a break is at this point; he seriously puts so many other artists to shame with his level of output at this point, and it's really amazing to think that ten years ago fans were saying the exact opposite.
    It seems like his work ethic was always there, even during 1994-2005. It's pretty impressive considering his involvement with Portrait of an American Family, Smells Like Children, Antichrist Superstar, Natural Born Killers and Lost Highway. And then you have And All That Could Have Been (Live/Still) and his involvement with Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. It seemed to have sort of made up for those gaps in some ways when I look back at it now, as he still managed to get stuff out there.

However, during those exact moments, I could also see why it would've been also very hard to take in those gaps in between The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth in spite of all the work that went on in between them, which I still find to be impressive even during Trent's low points when he felt discouraged enough to even ponder about not wanting to make music for quite a while. I could've sworn that I've read an article/interview of him admitting to feeling that way back in late 2000 or mid 2001.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-21-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

I love facebook sometimes.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    After reading that somebody in the Manson forum collected old make-up encrusted face wipes from backstage at a Manson show (eewww), I don't think NIN has the monopoly on weird obsessive fans around here
    That person is a member of this board and that was kind of taken out of context. I commented to them about how the last time manson played the pageant in STL I caught a sweat towel and I still have packed away. They then stated they have a few makeup wipes from backstage that they've kept. I can see how it can be considered weird but it's not nearly and batshit as that statement comes off as.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Yeah, as weird as that may sound to me, who isn't a manson fan, there's a huge difference between "I collect old make-up swipes" and "I just grabbed that weird piece of memorabilia".

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^ok he swiped old used face wipes from the floor backstage rather than 'collected' but I'm sorry that stuff should go straight in the bin, it's absolutely foul. Reading my post again I said 'collected old face wipes from backstage at a Manson show' - that suggested it was a one off rather than that he collects them in a 'collector' way.
    Last edited by WorzelG; 11-24-2014 at 03:37 AM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    ^^^ok he swiped old used face wipes from the floor backstage rather than 'collected' but I'm sorry that stuff should go straight in the bin, it's absolutely foul. Reading my post again I said 'collected old face wipes from backstage at a Manson show' - that suggested it was a one off rather than that he collects them in a 'collector' way.
    I don't know, if someone by chance obtained a towel or something of 1999 era trent that had his cornstarch on it I don't think as many people would react as strongly here. It all depends I guess.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I don't know, if someone by chance obtained a towel or something of 1999 era trent that had his cornstarch on it I don't think as many people would react as strongly here. It all depends I guess.
    I don't think anyone except me really gives a shit, I was just commenting in response to the guy making out fans of NIN to be the most 'superfan' type when I think people on the manson forum are way more 'obsessive' personally. I do keep a check on the manson forum as its very entertaining, the thing is a lot of nin fans probably keep their thoughts to themself on this board because of the way people have been treated on past ETS, @Hazekiah is very open about fandom and therefore lends himself to more teasing! I've liked quite a few of his posts though, and his videos are great. The whole Transformers discussion was hilarious

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Yeah I wasn't really quoting your post, just opposing two perspectives. I understand where you're coming from, as I said I'm not a fan so that kind of memorabilia doesn't interest me in the least, and if a fan was to show me they have such thing I'd be completely uninterested. But from a fan perspective, and we're talking about a huge fan in this case, I understand why you'd want something so directly linked to the artist and his stage persona. It does sound nasty to me too, but that's not any worse than fans collecting used towels, and I sure there are fans like that absolutely everywhere. Hell, Madonna used to throw her panties in the crowd, when it comes to body sweat and weird shit to grab onto, I think a sweaty make-up swipe is almost vanilla in comparison...

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I was just reminiscing some of the good times I've had with my best friend that I've regularly spent time with from 2002-2011, and I thought that he would've loved to see All The Love In The World live. I was with him when we both listened to With Teeth for the first time ever, shortly after it was released, and All The Love In The World instantly became his first favorite song from With Teeth, and it still is. I still wished we could've seen it live, as it just flooded me with so many memories again. And considering the year we became friends, The Fragile and all of the other previous albums also bring a lot of memories I've had with him too. I knew him before 2002 though, but we weren't that close at those times, and I wasn't a fan of Nine Inch Nails before 2002, but it's as if he can't remember me not being a Nine Inch Nails at all.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-25-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't think anyone except me really gives a shit, I was just commenting in response to the guy making out fans of NIN to be the most 'superfan' type when I think people on the manson forum are way more 'obsessive' personally.
    Just to be clear, my point wasn't that NIN "superfans" (of which I am including myself) are the most obsessive. My point was that our perspective is distorted by the fact that we're big fans of NIN. The logo made me think of the NIN/Sin logo, too, but I'm aware that it might only seem like "copying" because I have looked at that logo so many times. (I mean, really, it's a logo from a 24-year-old not-very-popular single.) I definitely wasn't saying that being "obsessive" makes us weird - it's perfectly natural, which is why I linked to the TV tropes "fan myopia" page describing the tendency.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    I definitely wasn't saying that being "obsessive" makes us weird - it's perfectly natural
    Hey, maybe this means I can get "Certified Organic" tattooed on my forehead.

That makes me weird.

OK, so it wasn't a NIN thought. But it was random as hell.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Whoa, November is almost over, and I still didn't really comment on my 12th year as a Nine Inch Nails fan coming to a close. It sure did, as I became a fan in the middle of November of 2002. ETS was either a few days old, or a few days prior to opening up when I became a fan. I at least caught on with The NIN Hotline back then though, because I was reading The Meathead Perspective on a regular basis. I didn't really check out and join ETS until 2004, for those of you that didn't know. And well, as if I also needed any more excuses and reasons to listen to Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile again. I also still remember the exact order that I got into those albums as well.

1. The Downward Spiral
    2. The Fragile
    3. Broken
    4. Pretty Hate Machine

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    edit .....
    Last edited by kel; 09-17-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    what in the fuck is going on in the sin vid? some genital piercings, a dildo and a couple dudes smoking pot, trent in a gyroscope ...

as a gay kid growing up in the early 90's, i thought it was awesome, but i just watched it for the first time in ages and it's so weird and random.

i don't understand the intent.
    Early 90s + vague concept of sinful sex = BDSM and cockslapping with strapons

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I had a fucken messed up dream about Trent. He went on some instagram tirade re-posting gossipy bits of news, responding to each one with a denial, just generally being pissed. and finished it all off with a video of him and his kids walking in costumes, like trick or treating? but he was topless? very odd. dont drink and dream, people.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    what in the fuck is going on in the sin vid? some genital piercings, a dildo and a couple dudes smoking pot, trent in a gyroscope ...

as a gay kid growing up in the early 90's, i thought it was awesome, but i just watched it for the first time in ages and it's so weird and random.

Provoke TVT Records?

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)

i always thought it might refer to a possible interpretation of the lyrics...
    you know...take in...the extent of my sin...

like, you know, get a load of my nine inch dildo.

edit: in your asshole.

seriously.

i really think that might be what sin is about....not the dildo, specifically, but you know, men fucking.
    along with the your kiss/your fist dichotomy, which might suggest a possibly more painful and violent method.
    of fucking, i mean.

oh hell, @sheepdean already summed it up better.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-28-2014 at 04:16 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Logging a question for the next time we get to 'ask Trent a question' (before he blows it off again)....bearing in mind he was with Bono on the release date of their latest album, did they discuss NIN's (frankly awesome) cover of Zoo Station, and if so what did Bono have to say....?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Not really a NIN thought, but:

That PHHHHHHHOTO app Mariqueen uses is just the lamest shit ever. "Here's 3 frames, repeated for no particular reason!"

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Logging a question for the next time we get to 'ask Trent a question' (before he blows it off again)....bearing in mind he was with Bono on the release date of their latest album, did they discuss NIN's (frankly awesome) cover of Zoo Station, and if so what did Bono have to say....?
    I doubt that's the first time they talked about it, as they've known each other from long before that. Trent is a U2 fan, and worked with them before. Here's TR's remix of "Vertigo" with a little bit of "I Will Follow" thrown in, from back in '04 or so.

Here they are together at a 2005 Grammys party after that song won, like, twenty-seven awards:

(Contrast TR's classy lemon water-in-a-wine-glass with Bono's can of Guinness)
    Last edited by botley; 11-28-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I didn't know that pic was from '05- always thought it was from TF era, assumed alcohol was in the glass.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I didn't know that pic was from '05- always thought it was from TF era, assumed alcohol was in the glass.
    Hahah, the servers at those parties likely don't even bother bringing water glasses to the venue; probably nobody expected a teetotaller to show up

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Someone working on the album mentioned to the BBC that, upon hearing the Zoo Station cover for the first time, Bono said "shit, this is better than the original".

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post

That PHHHHHHHOTO app Mariqueen uses is just the lamest shit ever. "Here's 3 frames, repeated for no particular reason!"
    You think that's badly designed, you should see the music app her husband made

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I doubt that's the first time they talked about it, as they've known each other from long before that. Trent is a U2 fan, and worked with them before. Here's TR's remix of "Vertigo" with a little bit of "I Will Follow" thrown in, from back in '04 or so.

Here they are together at a 2005 Grammys party after that song won, like, twenty-seven awards:

(Contrast TR's classy lemon water-in-a-wine-glass with Bono's can of Guinness)
    Been a while since I listened to that - I should head over to controversial opinions - prefer the original to the TR remix!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Here's TR's remix of "Vertigo" with a little bit of "I Will Follow" thrown in, from back in '04 or so.
    I was underwhelmed by the Zoo Station cover, but this remix is way better than the original (which like most of the album was pretty boring).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post

I've never minded seeing a photo of Mariqueen

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    I've never minded seeing a photo of Mariqueen
    I don't mind photos either, but PHHHHOTO takes photos and loops them in a really lame way.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    It seems like she has fun with it. The one of her kissing trent in a coffin is adorable.