Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Man I have so many jumbled thoughts after the last 72 hours.

1. I don't want to watch good old uncle Joe get bullied by Trump on the debate stage. It would be an absolute disaster. I reflexively cringe thinking about watching these two incoherent men try to out alpha each other in a debate.

2. I'm a Sanders supporter all the way. Done the canvassing and the whole bit both elections now, and been pretty far left most of my adult life and very politically active with groups like the JBGC/Redneck Revolt and the IWW. Something that worries me about the current influx of new Sanders supporters is that I don't think anybody has really prepared them for what left-leaning political activism looks like in the long haul. It looks like a LOT of losses. Those are just the straight facts. I see all these 18-24 year olds who are really excited by Bernie and watching lefty youtube channels for the first time and showing up to protests: it's a good thing. I'm glad they are here. But I also saw a lot of them fall into serious despair this morning when they realized that Bernie didn't sweep last night. It's very easy for youthful exuberance to take a quick turn into total disenfranchisement and their activism grinds to a halt. My hope for them is that they keep knocking on doors well into next week, and if Bernie still can't pull it off: take a day to be sad and angry, but then fix your face and get back to work. Put pressure on Biden's team and the DNC to earn your November vote and force them to the left as much as you can. Advocate for a progressive VP. Campaign for local election options and so on. If you really believe in some of the ideas that Bernie may have brought to your attention, then you should know that the work doesn't stop if he doesn't get the nomination.

There are a lot of politicians, corporations and organizations who are counting on you to give up if Bernie doesn't get the nomination. They want you to feel hopeless and stop trying. Don't give them the satisfaction.

3. I'm not gonna dunk on Liz and her supporters for not dropping out. I wish she would have dropped out on Monday or whatever, but it might not have had the effect people hoped for anyway and the snake emoji shit make Berners look unhinged. All that time spent shitposting can be better used having a conversation with somebody about Bernie's ideas. Liz supporters are human beings, if you want to fight for the rights of Liz supporters then a great place to start is by acknowledging their humanity and dignity and quit being a dick on twitter.

4. It gives me a little bit of joy to know that a woman who lives in a tax bracket that is often afraid of progressive candidates would not only vote for Bernie, but would in fact be open about it. I remember back when people online accused Trent and Mariqueen's work for Eric De La Cruz as being somehow crooked or just for show. All of those motherfuckers are pretty quiet ten+ years later when Mariqueen is STILL trying to help people get healthcare, huh? Good for her.
    Last edited by eachpassingphase; 03-04-2020 at 11:07 AM.