Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Rereleases December 2016 (Broken, TDS, TF)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    It's just the CD master for PHM 2010.

Picked up the Fragile reissue as a Christmas gift to myself. TDS with next month's paychecks and I'll be all set until Trent drops the next three on us.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Since I know there was some question of which Lost Highway pressing this was, figured I'd post mine that just came in today. Music On Vinyl's black pressing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afors View Post
    Firebrand download issues aside (don't get me started!), I've just had the time to listen to Broken DE MP3 download today on my Yamaha amp and my retro Tannoy DC 2000 speakers, and it's absolutely f'n awesome! Exceptional job on the remaster and it has me looking forward to the other DEs.
    Awesome. Is this something I'd notice on a normal stereo or iPhone with headphones or do I need a better system to really notice any differences?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp1124 View Post
    Awesome. Is this something I'd notice on a normal stereo or iPhone with headphones or do I need a better system to really notice any differences?
    Oh no, you'll absolutely notice it for Broken. It's blasted so much louder that it matches all the other loud NIN albums now. You can put any song in a playlist with any remastered NIN album (or any recent one) and they'll all be blasted equally!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post

Since I know there was some question of which Lost Highway pressing this was, figured I'd post mine that just came in today. Music On Vinyl's black pressing.
    Thanks!

Now I'm torn. There's a local shop in town that has that same MOV pressing, and I'd love to buy it! But w/ the nin.com order, you get the bonus of the digital release as well...shit, decisions.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Can I get some folks to check their files? Probably @Jon anyway

This is the transition from The Frail to The Wretched, zoomed in wayfar:

See where the red cursor is? A few wee frames of 0 bytes.

I can't hear it skip when the files playback, though, even together like this. Still, the transitions are broken. Is this a sector boundary issue?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    A few wee frames of 0 bytes.

I can't hear it skip when the files playback, though, even together like this. Still, the transitions are broken. Is this a sector boundary issue?

You've completely triggered my OCD. Has anyone done a check on "actual" bit depth for any of these remasters? They sound wonderful, so I just left it at the spec's to get an idea of upsampling.

Actually, based on how much you're zoomed in, my guess is that "blank space" is where they fixed a sector boundary issue. Tiny little padding at the end.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Bit late but thanks to everyone who answered my question about converting the files!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Regarding "definitive editions of all the major NIN releases on vinyl," why are Fixed, the TDS remix albums and Still not considered major NIN releases. Closer to God was my introduction to NIN. What happened to our boy Trent. Does he consider his actual children to be more "major NIN releases" than some of those now. Tell us Trenty. If FDTS never came out on vinyl because he got owned by Aphex Twin, now is the time to man up. And The Perfect Drug Versions, too, even though he doesn't like that song, let alone six versions of it.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Just a random thought about this... I think it's absolutely AWESOME that Trent went out and worked on his back catalog and is releasing everything again on vinyl. Vinyl has made a huge comeback (I'll just be hipster and say I've been collecting records since I was 5) and I know many fans have wanted to get their hands on 'The Fragile' vinyl. Now everyone selling on discogs is losing their $hit over the price of their original! Even though I have all of the albums, I'll be picking up the DEs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Oh no, you'll absolutely notice it for Broken. It's blasted so much louder that it matches all the other loud NIN albums now. You can put any song in a playlist with any remastered NIN album (or any recent one) and they'll all be blasted equally!
    Thanks! Now I just gotta wait till they're available without the vinyl.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Regarding "definitive editions of all the major NIN releases on vinyl," why are Fixed, the TDS remix albums and Still not considered major NIN releases. Closer to God was my introduction to NIN. What happened to our boy Trent. Does he consider his actual children to be more "major NIN releases" than some of those now. Tell us Trenty. If FDTS never came out on vinyl because he got owned by Aphex Twin, now is the time to man up. And The Perfect Drug Versions, too, even though he doesn't like that song, let alone six versions of it.
    After years of bitching about it not being available and complaints that it was hundreds of dollars used, we now have a reissue of The Fragile for a completely reasonable price that's been remastered fully, along with Broken, a record that had a very limited release on vinyl in the first place, and a proper version of TDS on vinyl that likely won't have all the segues and intros clipped awkwardly across sides, and here we are already bitching about not getting what we want just yet, even though half the catalog that's been announced for reissue isn't even available for order yet, implying that, maybe, we'll get even more stuff available in the future.

On a happier note, I'm finally giving this TDS remaster a listen and, wow -- I know a lot of people dislike the loudness of it, but I think this thing is great. The WAV files for it have me hearing every single breath this man takes in between vocals, the drums sound incredible, it feels far more in my face than before overall without getting muddy to my ears. I don't know if this'll become my main way to hear the thing, but it just might become a regular in my rotation. I've still not gotten my Broken download link, but after really digging TF and TDS's remasters, I'm very, very excited for whenever they get around to emailing me about it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    remember how involved in antichrist superstar trent & the NIN crew were?
    remember when trent made an instagram post about antichrist superstar's 20th anniversary?
    remember how trent remastered the majority of the NIN back-catalog for new vinyl pressings?
    anyone think it's possible there's a PROPER new vinyl pressing of ACSS that might be coming some time soon? i know it might be a long shot, but it would be pretty wonderful.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    remember how involved in antichrist superstar trent & the NIN crew were?
    remember when trent made an instagram post about antichrist superstar's 20th anniversary?
    remember how trent remastered the majority of the NIN back-catalog for new vinyl pressings?
    anyone think it's possible there's a PROPER new vinyl pressing of ACSS that might be coming some time soon? i know it might be a long shot, but it would be pretty wonderful.
    Manson said that the Masters for the first three albums were lost. Of course that was awhile ago and Manson said it so things could have changed or it could have just not been true.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'd like to see Further Down The Spiral along with the rest of the TDS era remixes and b-sides released on their own together. An expanded Even Further Down The Spiral. Turn it into something more than just remixes. A deluxe edition with tracks like Burn, Dead Souls, Memorabilia, March Of The Fuckheads and any other unreleased TDS material. Or call it TDS: Deviations. Same thing for Fixed and for Things Falling Apart though I think Broken and Fixed should have been a joint release thing.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-27-2016 at 09:00 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Has anyone done a check on "actual" bit depth for any of these remasters?
    Yeah, they are demonstrably 24bit in iZotope's bitscope and Audition's amplitude stats, plus if you blow up and zoom in you can see the super low noise floor.

Then again, they would be regardless, even if the sources were 16bit – as TR said, it was remastered with outboard gear and recorded back in, obviously at 24bit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    After years of bitching about it not being available and complaints that it was hundreds of dollars used, we now have a reissue of The Fragile for a completely reasonable price that's been remastered fully, along with Broken, a record that had a very limited release on vinyl in the first place, and a proper version of TDS on vinyl that likely won't have all the segues and intros clipped awkwardly across sides, and here we are already bitching about not getting what we want just yet, even though half the catalog that's been announced for reissue isn't even available for order yet, implying that, maybe, we'll get even more stuff available in the future.
    I'm arguing they're all major even though arguably none of the remix releases are. I want to give the man more of my money. I made a terrible joke about his kids being NIN releases. What is the problem.

Edit: None of the ones are listed as major/main releases on the store's discography, so we aren't gonna see them or there would be a statement about a reissue of all early releases as opposed to "major" ones. May complaining continue.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 12-27-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    Manson said that the Masters for the first three albums were lost. Of course that was awhile ago and Manson said it so things could have changed or it could have just not been true.
    "Manson said it"

Which is exactly why I don't believe it, lol. How do you lose three sets of master tapes to three immensely popular albums that sold millions? That's not even close to probable..

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    "Manson said it"

Which is exactly why I don't believe it, lol. How do you lose three sets of master tapes to three immensely popular albums that sold millions? That's not even close to probable..
    How? John A. Malm, Jr.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    How? John A. Malm, Jr.
    Also that van crash when moving from NOLA to LA. I've always wondered what they lost from that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Or call it TDS: Deviations.
    Well, it's not like Deviations 2 is going to be even more Fragile-stuff. It's very likely that the next Deviations release is a similar exploration of The Downward Spiral and music from that era. We'll just have to wait and see.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perterje View Post
    Well, it's not like Deviations 2 is going to be even more Fragile-stuff. It's very likely that the next Deviations release is a similar exploration of The Downward Spiral and music from that era. We'll just have to wait and see.
    I think we will get another Deviations for The Fragile. Trent obviously has more leftover material. I doubt The Fragile boxset only consisted of the stuff we got so far. I think it's called The Fragile: Deviations 1 because there will be a 2. If another album has its own Deviation release, it won't be called Album: Deviations 2 unless there's more than 1 Deviation for that album.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    How? John A. Malm, Jr.
    lol

So by that estimation, if what Manson says is true about the masters being lost in the early 2000s, that would make the 1998-1999 Simply Vinyl pressings of Portrait/SLC/Antichrist the only viable LP options, as well as the official 1998 pressing of Mechanical Animals

*whistles*

Each goes for about $200 a pop on the collector's market. That's quite an investment..

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    @NYRexall They're going to reissue those, as long as there is a market for them. It's practically inevitable at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    Also that van crash when moving from NOLA to LA. I've always wondered what they lost from that.
    Modular synths, that's what they said at the time anyway. I don't think master tapes would go from NOLA to Los Angeles in a cargo van but who knows.
    Last edited by botley; 12-27-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I think we will get another Deviations for The Fragile. Trent obviously has more leftover material. I doubt The Fragile boxset only consisted of the stuff we got so far. I think it's called The Fragile: Deviations 1 because there will be a 2. If another album has its own Deviation release, it won't be called Album: Deviations 2 unless there's more than 1 Deviation for that album.
    When I first heard of the album, I too thought it would be the first in a series of smaller releases accompanying The Fragile, but not when I saw the scope of the record (154 minutes, 4 vinyl records). I'm now 99% sure that this is the only Deviations record we'll get for The Fragile. This record contains tracks spanning the entire tracklist of the original release, in pretty much the same order, and with alternate versions and other outtakes. It's simply one 154 minute long journey through that particular album, slightly deviated, but following the same general path. I can't imagine what on earth "The Fragile: Deviations 2" would contain.

I'm imagining the next releases to be "The Downward Spiral: Deviations 2", "With Teeth: Deviations 3", and so on.

Also looking through the booklet, the words "Fragile" and "Deviations 1" aren't connected in any way. They are as separate as the Halo 30-tag on the last page.

But I could be wrong, and if so I'll be the first to come here and rejoice because The Fragile is my favorite album, and if Trent does have more unreleased goodies from that era, I'd love to hear it!

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    @NYRexall They're going to reissue those, as long as there is a market for them. It's practically inevitable at this point.
    Right. My point being, if the master tapes were lost forever sometime in the early-00's, then the pressings before they were lost would be the only ones that stand a chance of having been pressed using the original masters? Anything in today's pressing climate would likely just be "digital on vinyl"..

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    If there's enough to do it, I would love to see a Deviations-style release that pieces together whatever Trent has of Bleedthrough.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Do we know that anything extra at all exists from the Spiral era? There's "A Violet Fluid," yes. And "Closer to God," if you want to count it as a whole other song. "Burn" was confessedly not a B-Side; "At the Heart of It All" and the original portion of "The Beauty of Being Numb" are Aphex Twin songs; and all I can think of outside of that is "Dead Souls," "Memorabilia," and the lost tape of "Sex Dwarf."

Although there was that one '94 Rolling Stone mention of the song "The Beauty of the Drug," which had just the one lyric: "Just do it/nobody cares at all." I can't remember for sure, but I think he said that he never put that to tape. Though if he did—if anyone's taking notes down or keeping track—in exchange for release of that, I would allow Trent to sever the other little toe from the foot he didn't already butcher in my proposed trade for a studio take of "Now I'm Nothing."

Anyways, point here is that I don't see enough for a Deviations-style project there. A lovely companion record of odds and ends, sure. But please, anyone, prove me wrong. If you find a quote where Trent admits to having leftover Spiral materials that never saw the light of day, you not only get to enjoy correcting someone who was wrong on the internet, you also get the wee endorphin boost that comes from knowing that I will be leaving this conversation happier than when I started it.

We do know of at least three songs that didn't make the cut of With Teeth that most people saw—"Home," "Non-Entity," and "Not So Pretty Now." There are potentially two more found on the lyric sheet, "Message to No One" and "The Life You Didn't Lead" (for which I've run out of expendable body parts to offer up, but I would hope the two digits would be gesture enough for Mr. Reznor). And, if I'm remembering correctly, we know the album was the result of another entire album sort of falling apart (Bleedthrough); I think the comments around the time of its release went more in the direction of "a bunch of things didn't work and were cast aside," not "everything was repurposed."

I would assume With Teeth is next. And, despite it being rather low on my relative scoresheet for Nine Inch Nails LPs, I'd actually be incredibly eager to see a Deviations-style peek at its innards and potentials. I think something like that could make me love it a whole lot more. And to be clear, I do already like it quite a lot; I just find it lacking in places compared to the rest of Trent's oeuvre.
    My guess is the Deviations series will all be instrumentals. Trent has already shared instrumental versions of all the albums, except for PHM, Broken & The Slip. I'd image there are pieces of music from each area floating around in Trent's vault.

I do know that The Beauty of the Drug and Just Do It are two separate songs. No idea if they were recorded or if the former is related to The Perfect Drug or The Beauty of Being Numb, I guess we'll find out eventually. I doubt he'll incorporate the B-sides, since those appeared on official Halos already (unless they are alternate versions).

I'm hopefully for those With Teeth tracks as well.

On a side note, is it known that a studio revision of Sex Dwarf is out there? I remember a rehearsal video in the studio, but don't remember it being mentioned that it was properly recorded.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    EDIT: Also, no, there's no definite confirmation of "Sex Dwarf" in the studio. There was more speculation about that existing, if I recall correctly, than there was about the "super gay disco version" of KISS' "Love Gun" cover ever transpiring.
    There's footage of them recording parts of Sex Dwarf in the studio on the Closure DVD bonus material. One would assume they at least put together a rough mix of it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    "Manson said it"

If I'm not mistaken, Manson said parts of them are missing/destroyed/damaged, not the entirety of those albums. But not having parts is certainly enough to make reissuing them near impossible.