Page 6 of 110 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: A Perfect Circle

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Ah, cool! I'll wait it out. Yeah, if I can get a good seat, I'll be there. And I'm waiting on a friend to confirm if he wants to go or not. Black Keys are playing that same weekend too. Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by jaimie View Post
    Did you buy already? If I were you I would wait, I am sure you'll be able to find somebody unloading decent seats as it gets closer. There were still orchestra seats as of today...

Either way glad you're coming, should be a fun weekend!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    What's this all aboot??
    After 13 years, I've decided to leave @aperfectcircle with no plans of returning. Apologies to those inquiring about the upcoming shows. -- Josh Freese (@joshfreese)

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    What's this all aboot??
    After 13 years, I've decided to leave @aperfectcircle with no plans of returning. Apologies to those inquiring about the upcoming shows. -- Josh Freese (@joshfreese)
    Welcome to 2011.....this is old news

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Welcome to 2011.....this is old news
    Any source on this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Any source on this?
    I think it was pretty much assumed when he didn't come with them on the 2011 tourdates.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by think i'm a fire engine View Post
    I think it was pretty much assumed when he didn't come with them on the 2011 tourdates.
    He did have a valid reason and he gave an explanation on his website about the issue, even saying that he will still be the drummer for APC. It was a bit odd decision to go on a tour at that time, they didn't seem to give Freese much choice there.

It's a real bummer though, I really hoped Freese would stay around and they'd do another release of some sort. I wonder what led to this decision?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I bet he left due to his kids. Like he said before, he was touring too much and didn't want to miss out on the little things.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Oh great, just two members from the only APC band lineup I liked are left.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    band is a joke now. has been for a while. maybe thats why he just cut & run. money grab of the highest order. as usual, fuck you Maynard.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Any source on this?
    That was copy and pasted directly from dude's twitter account.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Been listening to Mer de Noms a lot as of late....what a great album. I remember the first time I heard them (first show of Fragility 2.0 tour) and thinking "holy crap this is good who is this???". Been hooked ever since, and this album has held up really well.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    band is a joke now. has been for a while. maybe thats why he just cut & run. money grab of the highest order. as usual, fuck you Maynard.
    Sorry they hurt your wittle feewings.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
    Been listening to Mer de Noms a lot as of late....what a great album. I remember the first time I heard them (first show of Fragility 2.0 tour) and thinking "holy crap this is good who is this???". Been hooked ever since, and this album has held up really well.
    the drum mix on that album is stunning, though the guitars are a bit dullish compared to Thirteenth Step. you get to the end of "Breña" and it's like the cymbals wash across the mix like water. truly beautiful engineering work there, besides Freese playing well as always.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Sadly I agree with this. They are so half-heartedly resurrecting a horse dead almost a decade, with nothing to show for it. For me APC was a special thing, of a specific time and place: it made real sense in Maynard's artistic trajectory at the time for him to go off and explore this other side. APC had this real power: he'd been unable to express all these things in Tool, and here they were with astonishing force and clarity and vision. Now he's very busy with Puscifer and the wine thing, and preparing to come back with Tool: I just don't see how APC fits in with all that. For them to do a little bit of APC on the weekends seems such a devaluation, and a revisitation of the past. And no, I don't care how much I get to sound like the interlocutor in Hooker With A Penis.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 10-03-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    the drum mix on that album is stunning, though the guitars are a bit dullish compared to Thirteenth Step. you get to the end of "Breña" and it's like the cymbals wash across the mix like water. truly beautiful engineering work there, besides Freese playing well as always.
    I agree. I always wished we would have gotten more Judith than Magdalena on the record. Even though I love the living shit out of Mags, I always yearned for more songs akin to Judith.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't APC Billy's band and didn't he do most of the writing?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't APC Billy's band and didn't he do most of the writing?
    He did. But him and Maynard wrote a lot collaboratively.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Mdn>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>13s

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    AWTA but both are amazing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The most recent APC tours were really great for someone like me who was younger when the band was in its prime during their first two album runs. I can easily see how long time fans are disappointed, I mean seriously we never even got the By and Down single, is it that hard to put out something like a set of 4 new songs, something for the fans that have waited a decade.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Billy and Maynard always were APC.

I don't get how people are still scandalized by member changes. Paz and Troy weren't even in the band enough yet to play on all/most of the MDN songs. Even Josh wasn't the only drummer on that album. TS was a new band with a dash of the old. eMotive was a total clusterfuck of a lineup, and the touring band has changed numerous times.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Billy and Maynard always were APC.

I don't get how people are still scandalized by member changes. Paz and Troy weren't even in the band enough yet to play on all/most of the MDN songs. Even Josh wasn't the only drummer on that album. TS was a new band with a dash of the old. eMotive was a total clusterfuck of a lineup, and the touring band has changed numerous times.
    It's not so much 'member changes' as 'Josh leaving'. Josh wasn't just some session drummer for APC, he was their drummer. Behind the frontmen (Billy and Maynard), Josh was absolutely the most important member.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's not so much 'member changes' as 'Josh leaving'. Josh wasn't just some session drummer for APC, he was their drummer. Behind the frontmen (Billy and Maynard), Josh was absolutely the most important member.
    Absolutely! Josh is known for being a phenomenal session drummer, I remember Josh saying that he has done drum tracks for Avril Lavigne and he didn't even know which tracks they would end upon. With APC, I'm sure he was behind the creative process for many songs, it wasn't just another session for him, APC is one of the few bands he has been with from the very beginning.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    re: clusterfuck of a lineup on eMotive
    I recall that eMotive lineup is also pretty solid. Most of the songs were done by MJK+Billy+Josh+Renholder. Plus a few guest appearances (Paz, Charlie) here and there. The only song that doesn't fit is People are People, which features James Iha and Twiggy instead of Lohner. My guess is the song was recorded when 13Step tour was still ongoing or right after that.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    To me the main problem with eMOTIVe is Billy's vile singing. If you have MJK in your band - you don't take over on vocals. You let the best rock singer of his generation* do his job.
    I think BH redeemed himself a little with Ashes Divide: his vocals are OK on that record. But up against MJK here they sound terrible.
    Also, that they were passing this off as an album up there with the other two: I'd rather they presented it as an extended EP.
    I actually really like that Imagine cover - and Let's Have A War is good too, nice and spooky. But People are People and Freedom of Choice are sonic sewage, and too much of the album is unpleasant and flat.

*Mike Patton would be the other contender for this title.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 10-17-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    To me the main problem with eMOTIVe is Billy's vile singing. If you have MJK in your band - you don't take over on vocals. You let the best rock singer of his generation* do his job.
    I think BH redeemed himself a little with Ashes Divide: his vocals are OK on that record. But up against MJK here they sound terrible.
    Also, that they were passing this off as an album up there with the other two: I'd rather they presented it as an extended EP.
    I actually really like that Imagine cover - and Let's Have A War is good too, nice and spooky. But People are People and Freedom of Choice are sonic sewage, and too much of the album is unpleasant and flat.

*Mike Patton would be the other contender for this title.
    I couldn't agree more....they both bring the album to a complete stop and I skip over them with even listen

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurish View Post
    Absolutely! Josh is known for being a phenomenal session drummer, I remember Josh saying that he has done drum tracks for Avril Lavigne and he didn't even know which tracks they would end upon. With APC, I'm sure he was behind the creative process for many songs, it wasn't just another session for him, APC is one of the few bands he has been with from the very beginning.
    LOL at slight sarcasm.

The Vandals and A Perfect Circle have been his core bands.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurish View Post
    APC is one of the few bands he has been with from the very beginning.
    But he wasn't there at the very beginning. Tim Alexander was.

Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I recall that eMotive lineup is also pretty solid. Most of the songs were done by MJK+Billy+Josh+Renholder.
    But they hardly did it as a regular four-piece. I apparently can't find my emotive liner notes which listed the contributions for each song, but the wikipedia list has two people doing drums, three doing bass, six doing keys or piano of some kind, three on guitar, three on vocals, four doing programming, one sax, and one on strings. And this on an album where the opener was just maynard/billy, the closer was just maynard, and one in the middle was a remix.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The only songs that Josh wrote in APC were Crimes and Gravity.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    But he wasn't there at the very beginning. Tim Alexander was.
    Well sure, Tim was there in the very beginning but was soon replaced with Josh, I doubt many know Tim's involvement with the band. As far as I know, "The Hollow" is the only song that features Tim on the drums. I'd still consider this one of Josh's main bands.

Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    The only songs that Josh wrote in APC were Crimes and Gravity.
    Even though it says so in the song credits, it's not like they gave him a complete music sheet with every ghost note and fill exactly pointed out to him. A time signature, tempo and a rough idea is mostly what is given. It's still Josh's style there. Use any other drummer and it would sound different.