PDA

View Full Version : Coronavirus - COVID-19

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15

theimage13
05-22-2020, 06:40 AM
I'm usually not one to watch viral videos, but for whatever reason I ended up checking out the recent one of a Costco employee telling a whiny covidiot that he wasn't welcome in the story without a mask. And that Costco employee is now my customer service hero.

Whiny little bitch boy, trying to sound tough: "yo man I'm sharing this with my 3,000 instagram followers"
Costco employee, in a very cheerful tone: "hi everyone! I work for Costco, and I'm asking this member to put on a mask because that's our policy. So either wear the mask or"
WLBB, interrupting employee while putting the camera back on himself: "and I'm not doing it because I woke up in a free country".

In other news, the CDC is now saying that while "it may be possible" to contract the virus from contaminated surfaces, it "does not spread easily" in that manner. Obviously not saying throw your hat in the air and celebrate. But hey...I'll take whatever remotely positive news I can get.

versusreality
05-22-2020, 08:32 AM
^ I truly wonder if the CDC is saying that because of pressure from Trump.

theimage13
05-22-2020, 08:40 AM

I kind of doubt it. Studies have shown that traces of the virus can live on varying types of surfaces for varying amounts of time, but a detectable virus does not necessarily mean a viable / infectious virus. And even if it is viable, you'd still have to manage to touch the exact point of contamination and then touch your face or something. So for a person practicing common hygienic practices, it seems far from likely that you'd actually contract the virus via this particular method of transmission. I think "may be possible" is a pretty appropriate way of phrasing it.

richardp
05-23-2020, 12:49 PM
Was thinking about this last night...

Y'all remember at the very end/very beginning of this year when the Flu was fucking up America real hard? For weeks there were reports about the flu being the deadliest strain in decades. And then.... Covid happened.

The first week of January, my girlfriend (and her sister) both became, literally, the sickest they've ever been from the flu. My girlfriend was out for a solid two weeks, and even almost had to go to the hospital. In hindsight, her symptoms were TO A TEE, Covid symptoms: loss of taste, smells, fever for over a week, intense muscle pains, delirium, inability to breath due to intense chest pains, I mean it was ALL there. To a TEE. And this was the first week of January in Kansas City.

What do you guys think the chances are that the extremely brutal Flu virus going around in the states before Covid, may have actually been Covid? If Trump knew about this shit in November, and was obviously ignoring all signs, I could easily see the Flu that fucked us up until Covid took over actually being Covid, and no one realized or put the pieces together.

I stayed with my partner the entire time during her bout of this in January, and was told several times by doctors and pharmacists that I would catch whatever she had too, and never did. So now I'm just itching for an antibody test. Did she have Covid and I was asymptomatic??

Demogorgon
05-23-2020, 12:59 PM
Was thinking about this last night...

Y'all remember at the very end/very beginning of this year when the Flu was fucking up America real hard? For weeks there were reports about the flu being the deadliest strain in decades. And then.... Covid happened.

The first week of January, my girlfriend (and her sister) both became, literally, the sickest they've ever been from the flu. My girlfriend was out for a solid two weeks, and even almost had to go to the hospital. In hindsight, her symptoms were TO A TEE, Covid symptoms: loss of taste, smells, fever for over a week, intense muscle pains, delirium, inability to breath due to intense chest pains, I mean it was ALL there. To a TEE. And this was the first week of January in Kansas City.

What do you guys think the chances are that the extremely brutal Flu virus going around in the states before Covid, may have actually been Covid? If Trump knew about this shit in November, and was obviously ignoring all signs, I could easily see the Flu that fucked us up until Covid took over actually being Covid, and no one realized or put the pieces together.

I stayed with my partner the entire time during her bout of this in January, and was told several times by doctors and pharmacists that I would catch whatever she had too, and never did. So now I'm just itching for an antibody test. Did she have Covid and I was asymptomatic??

This was happening in Ohio at least as far back as December, a lot of people i know mentioned how really miserable the "flu" this year was. My whole family was sick, and my 5 year old daughter had a cough that was so bad she could barely breath sometimes, couldn't sleep because it would wake her up at night. We had to do calming exercises, like the kind people do for coming out of an anxiety attack. I would have these coughing fits that just went on and on and on. The whole thing lasted two or three weeks. I'm convinced that we had it and that most of the state had it, and that what's blowing through right now is actually the second wave already.

allegro
05-23-2020, 01:43 PM
This was happening in Ohio at least as far back as December, a lot of people i know mentioned how really miserable the "flu" this year was. My whole family was sick, and my 5 year old daughter had a cough that was so bad she could barely breath sometimes, couldn't sleep because it would wake her up at night. We had to do calming exercises, like the kind people do for coming out of an anxiety attack. I would have these coughing fits that just went on and on and on. The whole thing lasted two or three weeks. I'm convinced that we had it and that most of the state had it, and that what's blowing through right now is actually the second wave already.
I was convinced I had it starting December 31, even asked the doctor about a test. None yet existed, here. I got a little better, but by February I got hammered with it AGAIN. And my doctor told me it wasn't a new illness, it was the same virus that just didn't go away. He wasn't surprised by any of this. He put me on a week of oral steroids for my inability to breathe, told me to use my inhaler, said if I didn’t get better I’d need x-rays. I now wish I would have gotten those x-rays. (My husband is overly cautious.) In February, doc said there still weren’t any tests available. My doctor complained that any tests that WERE out there were only available to people who could prove that they knew someone who had recently visited China. Research now saying that Covid does permanent damage to lungs. Wtf.

My doc said my biggest complication was my asthma, which is basically tied to my immune system. The round of steroids really DID make a difference for me. I’m now finally back to my old self and working out and stuff, not constantly tired. I worried that I'd never be back to "normal," again. I hadn’t been sick with anything in over eight years!

I have friends and relatives who are also convinced this shit was here as of last year. That’s an interesting thought about this already being the second wave.

Jinsai
05-23-2020, 01:51 PM

It is TRULY screwed up that we even have to consider this possibility, but we do. Because here we are, in this super disastrous scenario, with this navel gazing goofball handling everything, and all he cares about is that he "looks good," at the expense of anything.

versusreality
05-23-2020, 03:51 PM
my mother is going for a test tomorrow morning. she's been feeling sick the past few days...stomach issues, chills, a dry heaving cough occcasionally. no fever.

today, I've been feeling DRAINED. had a hadeache before/out of sorts. but it could be from the humidity (96% before) , it can have that effect on me sometimes along with rainy days (which it is today)

now that it's memorial day weekend, I've very curious to see if there will be spikes over the next two weeks.

Jinsai
05-23-2020, 04:33 PM
I've very curious to see if there will be spikes over the next two weeks.

Problem is without testing and tracing, we're not going to know, and this is a holiday weekend. I just went down to the store in my mask and gloves, and there were tons of people from out of town flooding the beaches. I guess they'll all infect each other, fly home, and nobody will know where anything's coming from or going to.

It's stupid for LA to be re-opening the beaches right now.

versusreality
05-23-2020, 06:23 PM
I hear you...I was watching live cams of the NJ beaches and boardwalks and it was sickening. no social distancing, no masks...the weather is supposed to be crappier tomorrow and cool on Monday so maybe that will deter folks. but people are stuck in their ways, stubborn, ignorant etc.

chuckrh
05-23-2020, 08:57 PM
I hear you...I was watching live cams of the NJ beaches and boardwalks and it was sickening. no social distancing, no masks...the weather is supposed to be crappier tomorrow and cool on Monday so maybe that will deter folks. but people are stuck in their ways, stubborn, ignorant etc.

could be anywhere in USA. sadly, stupid is the common factor in the whole country. all the talk about liberty without knowing the definition of the word. the real liberty has been eroding away well before the pandemic. we have grown fat & complacent like hogs on the way to the slaughterhouse.

Sarah K
05-23-2020, 10:24 PM
Supposedly tomorrow's front page.

Edit - It's legit (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/23/reader-center/coronavirus-new-york-times-front-page.html).

https://i.redd.it/0mzcndgh9l051.jpg

richardp
05-23-2020, 11:03 PM
I have friends and relatives who are also convinced this shit was here as of last year. That’s an interesting thought about this already being the second wave.

Dude honestly, the "flu" fucking DESTROYED Kansas City last December/January. I mean it was like Covid level news coverage for a bit. Schools were closing due to outbreaks. There were SO many people I know that got INCREDIBLY sick. And then once Covid started popping off "officially" across the country, Kansas City has been very low on the receiving end of cases. Part of me feels like that's already because it ravaged the shit out of this city already, and currently we are in the second wave as previously mentioned.

I don't know man. It feels so conspiratorial to think about it, but at the same time the pieces ALL fit and line up perfectly.

allegate
05-24-2020, 12:10 AM
Brazil.
https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2020/05/brazil-sao-paulo-01.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1200

And their leader is doing everything Trump does (https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/brazil-expands-unproven-drug-virus-toll-rises-70798145)
oh man.

richardp
05-24-2020, 02:00 AM
The only thing is, nobody was dying in huge numbers; which leads me to believe it was just a really nasty flu. This Covid-19 shit is hella contagious and it’s killed nearly 100,000 so far ... and that’s mostly while we were hiding in our houses and wearing masks. If we hadn’t been doing that, experts are saying the death toll would be in the millions, in the U.S. alone.

The thing is, I remember there actually being quite a few deaths from the flu in KC. There was a handful of kids who died and a bunch of old people. My girlfriend works at an early education center and they were going into panic mode well before covid due to the reports of the children dying in the area from it. It got REALLY bad here for a bit. Again, it really could have just been a bad flu, but man we sure did get hit extremely hard by SOMETHING.

dlb
05-25-2020, 02:43 AM
So today or at least where I live restaurants are free to open for dining inside in Germany, yet first cases are dropping in again of rising infections due to church service and restaurants opening up. Mere days after this is allowed again and numbers are peaking... I really wanted to be optimistic about this, but wow. Last week I was actually in the beer garden with a good friend, but it didn't feel all that good to be honest. Especially the precautions were annoying and we couldn't really enjoy it. Guess I'll avoid gastronomy for a while under these circumstances and try to support by having stuff to-go or buying some beers at the newsstand.

Even more concerning for me on a personal level was an interview I conducted with one of the bigger local concert agencies and it absolutely didn't sound good what they had to say. I actually thought smaller shows could go down again before Christmas, but that doesn't seem to be the case with little to no funding and apparently interest at all from the government. Hope some of the smaller clubs and venues will make it through all of this and won't get bought up by Live Nation and all those other corporate crooks. Even if shows would be possible I highly doubt that international bands would set foot on the European mainland anytime soon and vice versa. :(

And yeah, protesters and tin foil addicts are making it even more miserable than it already is. While I love how much positivity and kindness this situation is bringing up on all kinds of areas of living, the stupidity, bitterness and hatred rises just as much.

versusreality
05-25-2020, 05:52 AM
god fucking damnit people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFl_KQGyyC4

chuckrh
05-25-2020, 05:56 AM

Soylent Green is made out of people....

Alexandros
05-25-2020, 06:03 AM
As of today dining and drinking places are also opening in Greece, specifically those that have outside seating for the time being. Lockdown has been gradually easing for the past three weeks; first people could go out without texting the special number that was set up for getting permission, then high schools were open, then retail shops and churches opened for the public, and now cafes/bars/restaurants. Elementary schools are set to open from the start of June and tourists will be accepted coming in by car in June and even by airplane from July I think, with only random sampling for Covid-19 if I understand correctly.

So far no rise in new cases is showing, but it's probably way too early to relax. From the moment lockdown started lifting, people started thronging in streets, squares and beaches, despite the government still advocating strict social distancing (not exactly leading by example sadly; some officials have not shown proper adherence to the rules they so vehemently push to the public). Churches are performing holy communion. Kids are playing together and hugging. Unless the virus has miraculously disappeared from the country, or the summer heat is really dampening its potency, (we've had some extremely, unseasonally hot couple of weeks in the first weeks of lockdown easing), I don't see how we can avoid a second wave. Even assuming that locally the virus has been contained, the tourist influx from abroad is a big, spiky question mark.

I'm really worried that, even if something is picked up early enough to avoid a huge outbreak, it will probably mean the return of lockdown measures, and I'm afraid many people won't be able to handle that. Current optimism will swiftly turn to despair, as this time it will really sink in that this is the new reality. I really hope we won't get there, but it's hard to see how we won't.

versusreality
05-25-2020, 06:45 AM
as I was telling my gf yesterday, even with things easing, I still feel like we're in the early stage for this.

re-opening has nothing to do with health. it is economically driven.

M1ke
05-25-2020, 08:40 AM
Where I am, the social distancing started in March, cases in February. So we're on month 3-4, depending on how you count it.

We're probably looking at 1-2 years of this, so yes, we're at the beginning of this.

allegro
05-25-2020, 10:25 AM
I can’t stop laughing at this, like .. with TEARS in my eyes at the comments!!!

Wtf

https://twitter.com/odu6721/status/1264728248707145730?s=21

ltrandazzo
05-25-2020, 01:24 PM

Same for me in Cincy in December. I had a hard cough, lost my voice for three days, had some fever flares here and there and kept hacking. I’ve tried not to overthink it, but knowing someone in the state had it as early as January 7th has had me wondering.

Jinsai
05-25-2020, 03:21 PM

How can anyone walk onto this sort of scene right now and not have their stomach instinctively lurch? Who the hell would actually WANT to be in that pool? Do people really not believe this is a real thing? THIS is the true danger of delegitimizing trusted news outlets, to the point where so many people don't know who to believe so they just listen to themselves and whomever confirms their bias. You fucking idiots; you're killing people to have a fun day in a pool. Fuck you.

Why is it so hard for people to give up their little goofy fun time? I get it, you wanna ride a pony, but people are dying so shut the fuck up..

Jinsai
05-25-2020, 03:55 PM
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265013797334507521

versusreality
05-25-2020, 06:29 PM
what a terrible human being

3knic
05-25-2020, 09:48 PM
Same for me in Cincy in December. I had a hard cough, lost my voice for three days, had some fever flares here and there and kept hacking. I’ve tried not to overthink it, but knowing someone in the state had it as early as January 7th has had me wondering.Me and half my family had the same thing in December in the Cleveland area. Hacking, dry cough that was persistent for several days. Headache, body aches, etc. Almost lost my voice for a few days. I'd be super curious to take an antibody test

chuckrh
05-25-2020, 10:33 PM
no social distancing on WWE Raw tonight. shocking! i suspect the four horsemen of the apocalypse will be riding out of Orlando.

Jinsai
05-25-2020, 10:42 PM
no social distancing on WWE Raw tonight. shocking! i suspect the four horsemen of the apocalypse will be riding out of Orlando.Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, but it seems they are having the stadium empty of audiences? At least THAT is a relief...

allegate
05-25-2020, 10:56 PM
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265013797334507521

I liked the response from WWDTM's Peter Sagal:

https://twitter.com/petersagal/status/1265032963277889541

WorzelG
05-26-2020, 12:01 AM
FFS ‘great reviews’ he thinks his Presidency is a TV show

richardp
05-26-2020, 02:04 AM
How can anyone walk onto this sort of scene right now and not have their stomach instinctively lurch? Who the hell would actually WANT to be in that pool? Do people really not believe this is a real thing? THIS is the true danger of delegitimizing trusted news outlets, to the point where so many people don't know who to believe so they just listen to themselves and whomever confirms their bias. You fucking idiots; you're killing people to have a fun day in a pool. Fuck you.

Why is it so hard for people to give up their little goofy fun time? I get it, you wanna ride a pony, but people are dying so shut the fuck up..

My neighbors across the street are four early twenties white college girls, and when me and my partner were reading on the porch today we saw them come back from the lake or something with a fat ass cooler and a bunch of beach shit and then like three cars of friends pulled up and all piled into the house.

Literally first words out of my girlfriends mouth was "bet they just got back from the Ozarks".

chuckrh
05-26-2020, 02:49 AM
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, but it seems they are having the stadium empty of audiences? At least THAT is a relief...

They are performing in the WWE training center. Until now, there has been no one ring side. Last night, there were a bunch of wrestlers outside the ring who were definitely not 6 feet apart or wearing masks as an audience.

theimage13
05-26-2020, 06:01 AM
I liked the response from WWDTM's Peter Sagal:

https://twitter.com/petersagal/status/1265032963277889541

Peter Sagal is a criminally underrated person.

Has anyone on Twitter made the joke "tweet from the president, sometimes referred to as the US Virus"?

chuckrh
05-26-2020, 04:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=xBfi7UXbTiY&feature=emb_lo go

allegro
05-26-2020, 05:34 PM
Jesus they really tickle your brain with that Covid test

https://twitter.com/chrissyteigen/status/1265372567667269632?s=21

allegate
05-27-2020, 10:27 AM
I love that she also followed it up with the why it was happening.

https://twitter.com/CoolsomeXD/status/1265341934077435905

little levity

allegro
05-27-2020, 04:43 PM
Jesus Christ (XRay)

https://twitter.com/slickvicuno2/status/1265725793981722624?s=21

theimage13
05-27-2020, 04:51 PM
I'm grateful that the formatting of thise has left the covid xray hidden. I take this shit plenty seriously; my stupid anxiety does NOT need to see that. Sadly, I think there are a lot of people who really do need to see it to maybe have some sort of idea of what the hell is going on.

Jinsai
05-27-2020, 04:55 PM
I'm watching CNN, and I hate to say it, but it's almost like they're celebrating that we've crossed over 100,000 dead. They've been updating the counter more regularly, and then as soon as it went over, Wolf Blitzer dramatically says it happened. And now that's what they're talking about, as if the number means something special.

I just got done with arguing with someone on facebook about how he thought Trump was being "censored" on social media. I'm going to my zen place. fuck this fuck this.

allegro
05-27-2020, 06:45 PM
https://twitter.com/nabela/status/1265679200368963585?s=21

theimage13
05-28-2020, 05:55 AM
https://twitter.com/nabela/status/1265679200368963585?s=21

Covidiots: "see, masks and social distancing don't matter. Stop being sheep and just live! I NEED A HAIRCUT!"

Magnetic
05-28-2020, 09:04 AM
This is worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtWDbf71Ors

allegate
05-29-2020, 11:22 AM
what the actual fuck is wrong with 2020.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1266335781775380480

versusreality
05-29-2020, 01:11 PM
animal testing should have ceased a long time ago but that's another topic for another day

theimage13
05-29-2020, 04:29 PM
what the actual fuck is wrong with 2020.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1266335781775380480

But yeah, when I get pissed off and tell people that videos of people interacting too closely with wildlife aren't fucking cute and that it's horrible for the animals, I'm the wet blanket.

This is what you get, you fucking braindead imbeciles.

onthewall2983
05-29-2020, 10:15 PM
What potential effect will the protests have on this?

botley
05-29-2020, 10:22 PM
What potential effect will the protests have on this?
Outdoor gatherings are not necessarily that bad, if people take precautions, but I can tell you that cops arresting and jamming protestors together cheek-by-jowel in custody without masks on can't possibly help matters. The incarcerated population is already among the most vulnerable to unchecked spread of the virus.

richardp
05-30-2020, 02:16 PM
Part of me feels like the GOP wants this to happen, so that all the protestors will go out in the streets and infect each other, hoping that they'll all die or whatever so they can't vote in November.

allegate
06-01-2020, 10:47 AM
Coronavirus May Be a Blood Vessel Disease, Which Explains Everything (https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2)

Fascinating article.

Months into the pandemic, there is now a growing body of evidence to support the theory that the novel coronavirus can infect blood vessels, which could explain not only the high prevalence of blood clots, strokes, and heart attacks, but also provide an answer for the diverse set of head-to-toe symptoms that have emerged.

zero
06-02-2020, 05:38 PM
I'm watching CNN, and I hate to say it, but it's almost like they're celebrating that we've crossed over 100,000 dead. They've been updating the counter more regularly, and then as soon as it went over, Wolf Blitzer dramatically says it happened. And now that's what they're talking about, as if the number means something special.

I think the daily updates with statistics, such as the number infected or dead, are not wise. It reminds me very much of the nightly news broadcasts during the Vietnam War, when the number of killed in action for each side was reported every fucking night. And it stayed on screen in a little box. As if the war was some type of baseball game or soccer match, with live updates.

News organizations should obviously report facts, and keep the public informed. However, excessive focus on statistics is not helpful.

WorzelG
06-03-2020, 02:36 PM
Coronavirus May Be a Blood Vessel Disease, Which Explains Everything (https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2)

Fascinating article.
Thanks for this article, my mother in law thinks she had the virus earlier this year (like other members of our family, including me) and she had a mini stroke a month or so ago during full Lockdown. She fully recovered and is on blood thinners but it certainly makes me think

allegate
06-03-2020, 04:05 PM
Man, blood thinners suck. I was on them for a year and some change for a clot and the number of headaches I had from it was insane. I'm glad to hear she's recovered.

versusreality
06-03-2020, 04:08 PM
NBA announced today that they will be returning in July with players living in a bubble in Florida.

Also announced today: over 1,300 new cases of the virus in Florida, their highest daily number since mid April.

theimage13
06-03-2020, 04:12 PM
I hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way - but I'm pretty worried about what these protests are going to do to the number of cases. Masks or not...hours of people yelling in close proximity is going to be bad.

allegate
06-03-2020, 04:23 PM
well, never minding the thought of catching the covid after a nasty attack of the not-tear gas.

Jinsai
06-03-2020, 04:45 PM
I hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way - but I'm pretty worried about what these protests are going to do to the number of cases. Masks or not...hours of people yelling in close proximity is going to be bad.

It's the elephant in the room, and I'd assume pretty soon it's going to look bad.

theimage13
06-03-2020, 04:52 PM
after a nasty attack of the not-tear gas.

oh lordy, what fresh stupidity have I apparently managed to miss reading about?

allegate
06-03-2020, 05:59 PM
there are many on twitter saying that tear gas wasn't used to clear the crowd for the photo opp.

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1268172484907536390

theimage13
06-04-2020, 06:31 AM
Sweden hoped that taking a looser approach to distancing and lockdowns would help achieve herd immunity. It didn't. Now, in light of their numbers being much worse than their neighbors', the country's response chief is admitting there's room for improvement.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/03/868567924/swedens-coronavirus-response-chief-acknowledges-potential-for-improvement

ickyvicky
06-04-2020, 11:55 AM
Medical Examiner's Autopsy Reveals George Floyd tested positive for coronavirus

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/04/869278494/medical-examiners-autopsy-reveals-george-floyd-had-positive-test-for-coronavirus

Demogorgon
06-04-2020, 12:40 PM
Medical Examiner's Autopsy Reveals George Floyd tested positive for coronavirus

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/04/869278494/medical-examiners-autopsy-reveals-george-floyd-had-positive-test-for-coronavirus

I'd be surprised if it didn't, honestly. A lot more people have likely had it than anyone realizes. Not that it changes anything, really, unless the defense tries to delay the trial or what have you because of virus concerns. Not the best plan really; they'd probably start burning courthouses down at that point.

WorzelG
06-05-2020, 01:18 PM
I think the Lockdown is partially responsible for these protests being the way they are, people are restless, pissed off, like a powder keg. This situation happens so often, but the one in Lockdown kicks it all off, inevitable

bobbie solo
06-06-2020, 01:53 AM
I think the Lockdown is partially responsible for these protests being the way they are, people are restless, pissed off, like a powder keg. This situation happens so often, but the one in Lockdown kicks it all off, inevitable

hey, whatever works. Look at how working class people in countries like France react when the boot continues to come down on them from their gov't. They're in the streets full of piss & vinegar at a moments notice. We should have all surrounded the White House with literally millions of people the day he enacted that disgusting, racist, travel ban. We have become much too complacent of a society. Myself included. I'll take this level of engagement, rage and protest however it was sparked.

versusreality
06-06-2020, 06:06 AM
las vegas is open and there is 0 social distancing and basically no one in masks. ughhhh

theimage13
06-06-2020, 06:14 AM
las vegas is open and there is 0 social distancing and basically no one in masks. ughhhh

Best part is that this isn't going to fuck over just Las Vegas, 'cuz there's no way in hell that it's only people who live there who are involved in this. About to have lots of people heading back to airports and home cities and further needlessly spreading this shit.

And here I thought I couldn't hate Las Vegas any more than I already did.

versusreality
06-06-2020, 01:51 PM
Arizona, today, has the most hospitalizations & ICU beds in use for COVID patients of any day yet In last 48 hours: 2771 newly-reported COVID cases in Arizona & 46 new deaths reported.

chuckrh
06-06-2020, 02:27 PM
Arizona, today, has the most hospitalizations & ICU beds in use for COVID patients of any day yet In last 48 hours: 2771 newly-reported COVID cases in Arizona & 46 new deaths reported.

They are really enjoying their liberty now.

ickyvicky
06-08-2020, 02:09 PM

"11 New PA Coronavirus Cases Traced to Jersey Shore Gatherings"

https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/somerset/news/11-new-pa-coronavirus-cases-traced-to-jersey-shore-gatherings/789022/

versusreality
06-08-2020, 03:30 PM
it's only going to get worse. the shore has been a complete madhouse in terms of how many people are showing up...and that's even without rides and arcades open

theimage13
06-08-2020, 03:41 PM
I'm afraid of where things are going to go in my city. We were doing a really good job of lowering numbers across the board - fewer hospitalizations, fewer ICU visits, fewer deaths, fewer cases overall.

But we had plenty of Memorial Day parties, we're reopening non-essential things now, and restaurants are gearing back up with absolutely no enforcement of imposed social distancing rules. And we've had several protests that numbered in the hundreds or thousands (not saying I'm against them; just recognizing the unfortunate potential for them to contribute to the spread of this).

I'm very much in the "it's about to get worse" camp. I'd love to end up being wrong though.

theimage13
06-09-2020, 02:00 PM
And this is why I've basically just stopped reading any pandemic news and have stuck with my general plan of just being smart about things.

Monday: WHO says asymptomatic transmission of the virus "is very rare".
Monday night into Tuesday: News reports worldwide cover the uplifting news. Lots of skepticism on social media though.
Tuesday: WHO reads a bunch of criticism regarding their comment, re-examines it, and declares that the aforementioned info is not their official position, walking it back to a more vague "there's just so much we don't know" comment.

allegate
06-12-2020, 10:39 AM
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1271448839162146820

Some good news finally.

theimage13
06-12-2020, 11:22 AM
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1271448839162146820

Some good news finally.

This won't be good news until I can find a mask that A: doesn't trigger my anxiety (restricted breathing sends me into an automatic fight or flight response and I have a panic attack), and B: doesn't fog up my goddamn glasses so much that I can't see what I'm doing.

Good news in general. Selfishly...doesn't really help me out much :/

versusreality
06-12-2020, 11:27 AM
and yet, people all over the place say masks are a waste. it's disgusting that they think that.

allegate
06-12-2020, 11:29 AM
I totally get that. I saw a video on how to keep your glasses from fogging up (just put a folded up square of tissue paper on the bridge of your nose!) but it does not work at all for me.

I was recently issued a CPAP with a nose/mouth mask so I totally get the panic from having something like that on. It's weird that just a cloth mask doesn't do it to me though.

allegro
06-12-2020, 12:43 PM
This won't be good news until I can find a mask that A: doesn't trigger my anxiety (restricted breathing sends me into an automatic fight or flight response and I have a panic attack), and B: doesn't fog up my goddamn glasses so much that I can't see what I'm doing.

Good news in general. Selfishly...doesn't really help me out much :/

Fwiw, I’ve found that the masks made from jersey spandex material works GREAT for not fogging up my glasses. Etsy sells them, I’ve bought lots of this particular one:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/786070526/same-day-shippingface-mask-black-face

I also HATE wearing a mask, and this is the only type of mask, so far, that is so comfy that it’s not like torture. It’s like lingerie on my face. Even my husband likes it. My MOM loves them.

theimage13
06-12-2020, 12:59 PM
Fwiw, I’ve found that the masks made from jersey spandex material works GREAT for not fogging up my glasses. Etsy sells them, I’ve bought lots of this particular one:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/786070526/same-day-shippingface-mask-black-face

I also HATE wearing a mask, and this is the only type of mask, so far, that is so comfy that it’s not like torture. It’s like lingerie on my face. Even my husband likes it. My MOM loves them.

Ooooh, I'll check those out! I've made friends with a lot of wardrobe people over the years; maybe I'll check with them to see if they've got the raw materials since I could just make one. But for the price...heck, I may just help support someone else.

zero
06-12-2020, 03:06 PM

All cloth or surgi masks fog up my glasses because there is just no way to get them to seal around my giant nose, even if there is a bendy thing inside. So I use a piece of first aid tape and tape the mask to my nose and cheeks. Works like a dream but stings when you remove the tape.

allegro
06-12-2020, 06:38 PM
Ooooh, I'll check those out! I've made friends with a lot of wardrobe people over the years; maybe I'll check with them to see if they've got the raw materials since I could just make one. But for the price...heck, I may just help support someone else.
Oh and also, I read some articles about washing eyeglasses with dish soap (then rinsing them and drying them with a soft eyeglass cloth); there’s something about the soap that creates a film that makes the lenses anti-fog. It works!!

But the masks I linked above have the built-in wire around the nose that you bend securely around your nose that also helps. This material and the mask is light enough weight that it doesn’t trigger my asthma or anxiety. Hope it works well for you. Took about a week to arrive, they ship out of L.A.

allegro
06-15-2020, 03:30 PM

I changed my mind. My favorite masks are the disposable masks. Love those THE MOST. I keep returning to those. They are the most comfy, least sweaty, most breathable. IMHO.

versusreality
06-15-2020, 04:26 PM
my gf has given me what are called infinity wraps which she uses for her hair, they make great face masks. light, breathable.

cases continue to rise in 22 states.

allegate
06-15-2020, 05:33 PM
this motherfucker is still on the tests=bad bullshit.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1272532925460905984

versusreality
06-15-2020, 05:56 PM
"makes us look bad"

must be talking about himself.

Archive_Reports
06-16-2020, 07:40 AM
Dexamethasone is first life-saving coronavirus drug (https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281)

Jinsai
06-17-2020, 02:24 PM
countdown till this goes viral...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tkR9oDUhms&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2_zAYkTnNFK5lJ0HTKQgT7A61vT9pDFZwqc25U2 HV9psiAfdUegRGbhbM

paul_is_dead
06-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Idiots.

ManBurning
06-17-2020, 03:51 PM
Idiots.

You want to talk about idiots?

40 yr old health care worker and 15 of her friends test positive after a night out at the bar in Florida... SMH. He's a health care worker FFS. And she's 40! It's not like she's one of those 20 yr olds running around. She should know better

https://globalnews.ca/news/7075366/florida-friends-coronavirus-bar/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalNews&fbclid=IwAR2BAHItFgA96MmJMQM3h1U35gcdyUCanj9Y7z3Tj 4C3c2wbAK6ulXAbKFw

allegate
06-17-2020, 08:46 PM
https://i.imgur.com/r3tjWvZ.gif

theimage13
06-18-2020, 06:14 AM
You want to talk about idiots?

40 yr old health care worker and 15 of her friends test positive after a night out at the bar in Florida... SMH. He's a health care worker FFS. And she's 40! It's not like she's one of those 20 yr olds running around. She should know better

https://globalnews.ca/news/7075366/florida-friends-coronavirus-bar/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalNews&fbclid=IwAR2BAHItFgA96MmJMQM3h1U35gcdyUCanj9Y7z3Tj 4C3c2wbAK6ulXAbKFw

From her FB page (now private):
Welp, Florida opened back up & my ass should’ve stayed tf home this past weekend cause I just tested positive for the damn COVID #IKnowBetter #MyFault #WearYourMasksPeople

theimage13
06-18-2020, 08:37 AM
countdown till this goes viral...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tkR9oDUhms&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2_zAYkTnNFK5lJ0HTKQgT7A61vT9pDFZwqc25U2 HV9psiAfdUegRGbhbM

...or gets removed from Youtube...

allegate
06-18-2020, 10:54 AM
https://twitter.com/troy_do/status/1272758089129897990

allegate
06-18-2020, 11:37 PM
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1273763757592735746

good job completely side-stepping the political firestorm!

allegro
06-18-2020, 11:56 PM

I’ll be canceling my membership, now.

GulDukat
06-19-2020, 08:22 AM
This just makes me sad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYeXCHjCU80&fbclid=IwAR1GkxaEDZcoZyi-XeMsGZ6zm_pze2xIXMgFGqfNNvOddqDUKH5wEIelKhU

Jinsai
06-19-2020, 09:31 AM
...or gets removed from Youtube...

Good thing I captured it... Should i just re-up?

theimage13
06-19-2020, 09:46 AM
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1273763757592735746

I wish I could get executive pay for astonishingly bad ideas.

"Gentlemen, how do we stay out of the political turmoil?"

"Uhhh...defy all science-based guidance from countless government agencies around the world and put our customers' health at increased risk?"

"THAT'S THE BITCH!"

(for reference, last line pulled from this really stupid post (https://i.redd.it/wydwh10v17y11.jpg) that always makes me laugh for some reason)

richardp
06-19-2020, 01:37 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/19/media/amc-theatres-masks/index.html

That took long.

theimage13
06-19-2020, 01:45 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/19/media/amc-theatres-masks/index.html

That took long.

My tepid applause for doing the right thing is being drowned out by the laughter over how badly they screwed up such an easy call in the first place.

sick among the pure
06-19-2020, 02:56 PM
Good thing I captured it... Should i just re-up?

I'm gonna say yes, but mostly just because I didn't get to see it.

allegate
06-19-2020, 10:48 PM
I wonder how true this is.

https://i.imgur.com/IKGGzyH.jpg

allegro
06-19-2020, 11:04 PM
^ wtf.

Sarah_Munn
06-19-2020, 11:47 PM
@allegate (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1739) It's true.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/17/student-nurses-irate-after-nhs-frontline-contracts-cut-short

Jinsai
06-21-2020, 01:04 PM
so now Trump's team is saying his whole "so I said slow the testing down!" thing was a joke... I don't get the joke, and really, is this an appropriate thing for him to be joking about?

allegate
06-21-2020, 01:54 PM
it's what they say every time. Trump is apparently the world's best (worst?) comedian.

theimage13
06-22-2020, 06:07 AM
Far and away my favorite jokes from Trump are the ones he tells at the White House Press Correspondents Dinner.

Sarah K
06-22-2020, 02:10 PM
The NYC Department of Health updated their COVID-19 Safer Sex guidelines (https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-sex-guidance.pdf).

NO:
- Kissing
- Rimming

MAYBE:
- Group sex in well-ventilated spaces

YES:
- Consent
- Wearing a mask (even if it isn't your kink)
- Online sex work
- Masturbation
- GLORY HOLES

Jinsai
06-22-2020, 02:12 PM
you'd think they'd also add in the fact that certain positions would be safer than others, and actually, missionary position would probably be the most unsafe.

WorzelG
06-22-2020, 03:30 PM
Where’s the logic in Trump holding a rally for his base without masks or social distancing? Does he want to kill his base off?

allegate
06-22-2020, 03:45 PM
speaking of Team Trump:

https://twitter.com/learyreports/status/1275152310331637760

Magnetic
06-22-2020, 10:10 PM
YES:
- Consent
- Wearing a mask (even if it isn't your kink)
- Online sex work
- Masturbation
- GLORY HOLES

Gotta love it. Suddenly doggie style and reverse cowgirl are in. (and they are always great, let's face it)

bobbie solo
06-23-2020, 02:31 AM
if you want to put on your tinfoil hat, you could go with D - he wants to encourage more outbreaks to increase the CV cases around the country to the point where it will interfere with proper execution of the election in November, and he will pull some massively illegal move with that as it gets closer, miring it in the courts.

botley
06-23-2020, 02:44 AM
Where’s the logic in Trump holding a rally for his base without masks or social distancing? Does he want to kill his base off?

He literally told them to drink bleach and they did it.

allegro
06-24-2020, 12:56 AM
https://twitter.com/georebekah/status/1275539345257218053?s=21
https://twitter.com/georebekah/status/1275539636803244032?s=21

versusreality
06-24-2020, 05:48 AM
absouletely criminal, horrible.

it will only bite them in the ass.

no coincidence they want their summer season to bring in money, especially with the NBA going there next month.

Archive_Reports
06-24-2020, 08:13 AM
absouletely criminal, horrible.

no coincidence they want their summer season to bring in money, especially with the NBA going there next month.

As much as I selfishly want sports to come back, I don't think it's going to happen. Given the rising number of cases in Florida and the fact that at least one player has openly said he won't come back, there's no way NBA doesn't raise concerns with how the state is managing the crisis and either find a replacement location or cancel.

ickyvicky
06-24-2020, 01:45 PM
Ny, NJ & CT require travelers from states with high rates to quarantine for 14 days.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/new-york-coronavirus-travel-restriction/index.html

allegro
06-24-2020, 06:35 PM
https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1275912010555932672?s=20

marodi
06-24-2020, 07:50 PM
There's nothing I like more than people who believe they speak in the name of God, as if they had some sort of telepathic link to him and they just know what he wants or thinks. The über vanity of it is astonishing.

That woman's middle name should be "futur covid-19 patient" by the way.

BRoswell
06-24-2020, 08:49 PM

Speaking of which...have these motherfuckers not seen Jaws?

Magnetic
06-24-2020, 08:50 PM
https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1275912010555932672?s=20

https://i.imgur.com/49pdIGC.gif
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fimgur.com%2Fgallery%2FVWk9v&psig=AOvVaw2YUH3Tg1EeIWvX0Mi30bsA&ust=1593136020937000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNiK2aXsm-oCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAm
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fimgur.com%2Fgallery%2FVWk9v&psig=AOvVaw2YUH3Tg1EeIWvX0Mi30bsA&ust=1593136020937000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNiK2aXsm-oCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAm
Unfortunately it's no longer cute when the ignorant get uppity. I really just want her to catch Coronavirus and have massive complications from it.

allegate
06-25-2020, 09:46 AM
Speaking of which...have these motherfuckers not seen Jaws?
who knew Jaws was a documentary about the way government views we the people?

r_z
06-25-2020, 10:22 AM
Amity means friendship!!

Jinsai
06-25-2020, 10:33 AM
Yeah, but then they checked, and made sure that in the sequel, Jaws 2, the Mayor is still Mayor and nothing bad happened to him for his malfeasance. Lesson learned.

allegro
06-25-2020, 09:35 PM
https://twitter.com/mcfaul/status/1275596616963985409?s=21

Jinsai
06-25-2020, 10:37 PM
https://twitter.com/mcfaul/status/1275596616963985409?s=21

And Trump sees this and his immediate response is "see! Clearly we need to stop the testing!"

allegate
06-26-2020, 04:18 AM
https://i.imgur.com/KGkBFCR.jpg

versusreality
06-26-2020, 05:43 AM
this is endless.

having lived in the worst part of it in NJ, right outside of NYC, we felt Florida was laughing at us, going to the beaches a couple months ago, outdoor at bars etc. a couple months later, now look at Florida.

..but now NJ is opening up. I see way less masks. MASSIVE outdoor gatherings. people at the beaches. we're doing what Florida was doing a couple months ago. we'll be right back where we were by September. justtttt in time for school to start.

NJ is supposed to come out with their school reopening plans today. as a teacher...I just don't feel comfortable with that thought.

allegro
06-26-2020, 06:37 AM
Yeah I have a bad feeling about all of this.

My husband and I have eaten at outdoor restaurants “patio” type setups, with tables very distanced and everybody masked except for people who were seated. But we won’t be making it a regular practice, and we will NOT be going to an indoor restaurant once the re-open to minimum capacity here soon. Nope.

We are sticking with the quarantine.

versusreality
06-26-2020, 07:04 AM
my parents were telling me they tried eating out doors recently and that it overall was not a pleasant experience. my mom started freaking out, thinking the plates, forks, glasses could have the virus on it.

needless to say, they won't be eating out again until this is over.

my gf doesn't want to eat out for the same reason. I'm ok with that.

Magnetic
06-26-2020, 07:40 AM
Hell, I haven't even ordered delivery of food. All the grocery shopping is either contactless pickup or delivery. I haven't left the house much since mid-March.
As far as I can tell, this pattern will be continuing indefinitely. It really sucks, but I'm not taking chances.

versusreality
06-26-2020, 11:01 AM
9,000 new cases in Florida today. holy shit.

allegate
06-26-2020, 06:47 PM
so we're playing Uno now with these cards?

https://i.imgur.com/VgFk7HI.jpg

zero
06-26-2020, 07:23 PM
My husband and I have eaten at outdoor restaurants “patio” type setups, with tables very distanced and everybody masked except for people who were seated. But we won’t be making it a regular practice, and we will NOT be going to an indoor restaurant once the re-open to minimum capacity here soon. Nope.

I really miss eating out, it's one of the few social things I do fairly often with my wife. But we just don't feel comfortable with indoor dining just yet. The world has changed. Every single journey away from home involves the decision making process which consists of: Is this activity which will expose me/us to the virus important/valuable enough to offset the (perhaps small) risk?

Both my wife and myself are reasonably good cooks, and the bathroom scale certainly indicates we are consuming more than enough nutrition! It's the social aspect of eating out that we miss. For now, we will abstain.

Jinsai
06-26-2020, 08:01 PM
this is endless.

having lived in the worst part of it in NJ, right outside of NYC, we felt Florida was laughing at us, going to the beaches a couple months ago, outdoor at bars etc. a couple months later, now look at Florida.

..but now NJ is opening up. I see way less masks. MASSIVE outdoor gatherings. people at the beaches. we're doing what Florida was doing a couple months ago. we'll be right back where we were by September. justtttt in time for school to start.

NJ is supposed to come out with their school reopening plans today. as a teacher...I just don't feel comfortable with that thought.

Yeah... you could almost say it's because we have scrambled messaging from leadership as to how we should actually address this emergency in a serious manner.

versusreality
06-26-2020, 08:47 PM
so the new rules of school in Sept in NJ...I do NOT feel comfortable at all as a teacher, and I'm young and healthy. after speaking to some of my co-workers, some who are older, they are REALLY not happy. honestly, I'm not happy either. long story short:
-Staff must wear masks
-Students have to be 6 ft apart in class (LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE. I work in the inner city and there are easily between 30-35 kids in a class with barely an inch to move now)
-Student mask is "encouraged" but not mandatory (WTF. students can get it and spread it to each other/to other adults!! )
-Students should "try" to practice social distancing on busses (again, we are so over crowded that students have (illegally) had to stand in school buses already)
-students are allowed to eat in a cafeteria together (MAJOR WTF...social distance in class but eat together at lunch!!?? )
- it's "possible" some districts will have alternate days for students, alternating between in person and remote learning (good luck with that)

I think it's just a major, major mistake. schools are part of the reason why things got so bad here in NJ in the first place.

Magnetic
06-26-2020, 08:58 PM
I want whatever they're smoking. The delusion is strong there. I'm sorry...I can't imagine that work environment.

chuckrh
06-27-2020, 03:26 AM
First person I knew directly to die from COVID-19. My high school band teacher. Made the paper because the county commissioner was a year behind me in the band. Mr Weaver was pretty old but still not a good way to go. RIP.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... lications/ (https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/obituaries/donn-weaver-a-longtime-seattle-music-teacher-dies-of-covid-19-complications/)

versusreality
06-27-2020, 05:11 AM
sorry to hear that chuckrh

allegro
06-27-2020, 10:24 AM
https://twitter.com/rexchapman/status/1276889535331348481?s=21

Jinsai
06-27-2020, 12:19 PM
I understand the vital social element to school, but in this scenario, there should at least be an option to remote learn from home via zoom conference or whatever. A friend of mine is a teacher and he was teaching the rest of this year's courses via remote lessons, and he actually said that for the most part it was a smooth enough roll out and manageable experience that you get used to.

versusreality
06-27-2020, 12:31 PM
I wish we did remote learning too. we did it from March until June. the results were not so good. we had some students who did no work since they were physically last in school in March (they were ok too, there were multiple wellness checks) . what's worse is that we were basically mandated to make sure all our kids pass regardless. thing with remote learning in the fall is that, things will be back open, these parents will be at work, so then what? at least in March everything was shut down and the parents were home.

there really is no good answer. I WANT it to be remote learning for a multitude of reasons. even if the results were mixed at best from March-June, I'd still take that over RISKING THE HEALTH OF EVERYONE

Jinsai
06-27-2020, 01:47 PM
everyone's mileage may vary; I'm sure it varies wildly depending on class size, age... there's a ton of potential factors, not to mention that it's a new approach to try to teach kids via video conference. I remember when I was in college, and for the first time in my life I had to use an online portal extension for the classwork, and it completely screwed me up, and I'm not really a luddite or a technically un-savvy person. And that was really just an email thing.

If we keep pushing for working solutions we'll figure it out. If we just pretend that the threat isn't real and it'll "fade and just go away" or whatever, we're in for a rough time... and I know I seem to keep coming back to this point, but Trump is politicizing our collective response to this in the worst way. Maybe it'll really depend on who wins the election.

allegate
06-27-2020, 02:57 PM
https://i.imgur.com/zcMH4n9.png

allegro
06-28-2020, 10:53 AM
I wish we did remote learning too. we did it from March until June. the results were not so good. we had some students who did no work since they were physically last in school in March (they were ok too, there were multiple wellness checks) . what's worse is that we were basically mandated to make sure all our kids pass regardless. thing with remote learning in the fall is that, things will be back open, these parents will be at work, so then what? at least in March everything was shut down and the parents were home.

there really is no good answer. I WANT it to be remote learning for a multitude of reasons. even if the results were mixed at best from March-June, I'd still take that over RISKING THE HEALTH OF EVERYONE
My neighbor is a teacher. We are in an upper-income school system, but we have a group of low-income kids. She says many of them don’t have the internet, let alone a computer. She says the kids who DO really struggle with virtual learning; they don’t stay engaged, their attention spans wander, they have a harder time grasping things. Even attempts to use props with younger students (like puppets and animation) doesn’t work. She’s a special ed teacher, she says that’s even worse.

When I was in college in 2004-2007, we used Blackboard and online science sites a lot, and I excelled in that environment; and of course - in law and academia - I was online doing research literally all day long. But, I think you have to have a certain personality for that. I think because kids like video games or smartphones, it’s assumed they’ll excel in virtual learning environments. That’s turning out to be a false equivalence.

Jinsai
06-29-2020, 08:49 AM
allegro I don’t know; it might be too early to tell, but with special education yeah, I could see remote learning being a huge roadblock in a ton of potential ways

allegro
06-29-2020, 09:02 AM
allegro I don’t know; it might be too early to tell, but with special education yeah, I could see remote learning being a huge roadblock in a ton of potential ways

There are roadblocks in low-income and minority neighborhoods. Proven. We assume they have the internet. We assume they have computers. That’s not always the case.

Parents are filling the jobs of teachers in home-schooling. If parents have to go back to work, nobody knows who is going to teach these kids. You can’t have all-day virtual learning. As I said, my neighbor was speaking from the perspective of the problem the district is having with virtual classrooms - not just her as a special ed teacher.

Part-time, staggered schedules is probably going to be the way they have to go.

versusreality
06-29-2020, 09:06 AM
there's really no easy answer to it.

Jinsai
06-29-2020, 09:23 AM
No I guess not... I mean I could suggest that programs fund the feasibility of the concept, but who am I kidding

allegate
06-29-2020, 09:39 AM
https://i.redd.it/jdd7obkalx351.jpg

ickyvicky
06-29-2020, 11:29 AM
Wow. Broadway to remain closed for the rest of the year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/theater/when-broadway-reopening-coronavirus.html

versusreality
06-29-2020, 11:36 AM
smart move.

allegro
06-29-2020, 12:04 PM
there's really no easy answer to it.

It appears that most parents don't want to send their kids back to school, anyway (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/opinion/coronavirus-schools-reopen.html?auth=login-email&login=email).

My school district is HEAVILY funded (I posted a response to allegate's post in the Police thread), but that's not a real "fix" to this Covid issue, anyway.

versusreality
06-29-2020, 12:35 PM
we were already facing layoffs and major budget issues before the crisis. some teachers had to spend hundreds of their own money for supplies. I really don't want there to be a second wave because I can't even think about how much more grim it can get in our district.

allegro
06-29-2020, 12:52 PM
we were already facing layoffs and major budget issues before the crisis. some teachers had to spend hundreds of their own money for supplies. I really don't want there to be a second wave because I can't even think about how much more grim it can get in our district.

What City are you in?

Jinsai
06-29-2020, 01:28 PM
I am really getting depleted reading posts from people who think that this is all a hoax. This ranges from Info-Wars style conspiracy to MAGA-hat stuff, but I'm REALLY tired of reading some craaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy-sounding fantasy bullshit from actual real people. I'm not "friends" with these people, but people I'm friends with apparently are... and I don't get it. I literally just dropped out of a "debate" after someone REALLY implied that Bill Gates is behind all this and wants to put microchips in us.

I've met this person. You'd never suspect that they are that far OUT THERE.

versusreality
06-29-2020, 01:41 PM
What City are you in?
Jersey City

Sarah_Munn
06-29-2020, 02:13 PM
Jinsai, In my experience people become radicalised, get drawn into extremes about almost anything. Fear plays into it too I suppose. At the moment it feels like it's all sides and battle lines. I think some people feel pushed to pin their flag somewhere.
Was the microchip idea to do with the covid test? I had a picture show up on my timeline from a friend of friend about the covid test in fact being the insertion of a microchip at the back of the throat.

Jinsai
06-29-2020, 02:43 PM
@Jinsai (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=272), In my experience people become radicalised, get drawn into extremes about almost anything. Fear plays into it too I suppose. At the moment it feels like it's all sides and battle lines. I think some people feel pushed to pin their flag somewhere.
Was the microchip idea to do with the covid test? I had a picture show up on my timeline from a friend of friend about the covid test in fact being the insertion of a microchip at the back of the throat.

See, I'm not even sure what functioning method she believed Bill Gates had in mind. She was so paranoid that she wouldn't go into details about all these NWO plans, because she couldn't trust that I wasn't a "snitch for big pharma" and that the only reason I asked is because I intended to report her and get her banned for spreading misinformation... or at least, that's kind of how I eventually unpacked what she was trying to say... I think. It was a trip.

I'd laugh it off, but I'm seeing wayyyyyyyy too much of this bullshit, and I don't know how much of it might be bot misinfo campaigns, or real people actually buying into this stuff... but I can promise, this person I talked to today is a real person that I've met in real life.

allegro
06-29-2020, 02:44 PM
Jersey City

This is the budget from 2019. (https://jerseycitynj.gov/UserFiles/Servers/Server_6189660/File/City%20Hall/Finance/Budgets/CY%202019%20-%20UFB.pdf)

Holy moly, the police personnel budget omg.

But the tax levy for the school district is 24.18%. You can't tax residents to death, but you can lower costs and benefits and increase salaries. There definitely are areas that don't benefit residents or students.

We have this same issue in the City of Chicago.

My property taxes in Lake County are MUCH higher than property taxes in Cook County, or in Chicago. But, residents in poor areas of Cook County pay a proportionally larger property tax rate because property taxes are a regressive tax. In exchange for that, they get shittier schools and shittier city services and shittier policing and shittier healthcare and they're lucky if they have one grocery store.

Sarah_Munn
06-29-2020, 03:05 PM
See, I'm not even sure what functioning method she believed Bill Gates had in mind. She was so paranoid that she wouldn't go into details about all these NWO plans, because she couldn't trust that I wasn't a "snitch for big pharma" and that the only reason I asked is because I intended to report her and get her banned for spreading misinformation... or at least, that's kind of how I eventually unpacked what she was trying to say... I think. It was a trip.

I'd laugh it off, but I'm seeing wayyyyyyyy too much of this bullshit, and I don't know how much of it might be bot misinfo campaigns, or real people actually buying into this stuff... but I can promise, this person I talked to today is a real person that I've met in real life.

Wow.

Can't help but think they are high! @Jinsai (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=272)...snitch for big pharma! I have a relative who can be equally bonkers. It's scary because it seems the question of if we survive spins on all this bullshit.

I have seen a lot of stuff posted by people I believed were tolerant and sensible but it turns out they are not. Some big surprises too.

allegate
06-29-2020, 05:24 PM
https://twitter.com/JamesRenner/status/1277728771487956992

versusreality
06-29-2020, 06:12 PM
This is the budget from 2019. (https://jerseycitynj.gov/UserFiles/Servers/Server_6189660/File/City%20Hall/Finance/Budgets/CY%202019%20-%20UFB.pdf)

But the tax levy for the school district is 24.18%. You can't tax residents to death, but you can lower costs and benefits and increase salaries. There definitely are areas that don't benefit residents or students.

My property taxes in Lake County are MUCH higher than property taxes in Cook County, or in Chicago. But, residents in poor areas of Cook County pay a proportionally larger property tax rate because property taxes are a regressive tax. In exchange for that, they get shittier schools and shittier city services and shittier policing and shittier healthcare and they're lucky if they have one grocery store.

it's a mess, isn't it?

Jinsai
06-30-2020, 11:18 AM
Fauci today warned that if we don't change course and address this differently, we could reach a point where we see 100,000 infections a day in the US.

versusreality
06-30-2020, 11:31 AM
yep, i wouldn't be surprised. just wait till mid-late july after the 4th of july get togethers. and then again in sept when schools open. then again a month later when flu season ramps up.

here in NJ it feels like it's been forever since we shut down in mid march, but it's only been 3 and a half months. and this is just the beginning, because people can't get it together.

perfect example:
https://www.nj.com/hudson/2020/06/popular-jersey-city-restaurant-and-lounge-cited-for-having-hundreds-inside-without-masks-official-says.html

^btw, indoor dining still isn't allowed in NJ

Jinsai
06-30-2020, 04:38 PM
nobody's mentioned that the EU has prohibited travel from the US? This is huge, if not on a level that will be economically substantial, but the political optics of it all are really intense.

allegate
06-30-2020, 06:22 PM
what was the phrase he used? oh right: shithole countries.

ManBurning
07-04-2020, 04:26 AM
Have you guys heard about this?

U.S. students throw coronavirus parties to see who gets sick first — and the ‘winner’ gets money
https://globalnews.ca/news/7132752/alabama-students-covid-19-parties/

versusreality
07-04-2020, 04:46 AM
Donald Trump Jr's girlfriend tests positive

botley
07-04-2020, 08:34 AM
Have you guys heard about this?

U.S. students throw coronavirus parties to see who gets sick first — and the ‘winner’ gets money
https://globalnews.ca/news/7132752/alabama-students-covid-19-parties/
Yes.

It's fake news. (https://www.wired.com/story/covid-parties-are-not-a-thing/)

ManBurning
07-04-2020, 12:42 PM
Yes.

It's fake news. (https://www.wired.com/story/covid-parties-are-not-a-thing/)

OK. co-worker shared it with me last night, I almost didn't believe it. Sounded too out of this world. Then I googled it and tons of major news outlets were reporting on it. Good to know it's nonsense.

bobbie solo
07-05-2020, 01:46 AM
Donald Trump Jr's girlfriend tests positive

https://media1.tenor.com/images/ceb6e984602a3f3125591f76710f2fd7/tenor.gif

binaryhermit
07-05-2020, 05:45 PM

That's about 25% of the total levy, or about $1500 per residential taxpayer.

Unless the average residential taxpayer's assessed value is about $6000, in which case the taxpayers have bigger issues than property taxes.

allegro
07-05-2020, 05:49 PM
That's about 25% of the total levy, or about $1500 per residential taxpayer.

Unless the average residential taxpayer's assessed value is about $6000, in which case the taxpayers have bigger issues than property taxes.

Well, yes, 24% is a very low percentage. I pay 67%. And my annual property tax is $9k, and that’s on the cheaper range in HP in Lake County because I have a small house. So I pay $6000 per year to the school district, and I don’t even have any kids.

versusreality
07-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Lance Bottoms tests positve.

allegro
07-06-2020, 08:14 PM
Well, that's fucking awful to hear. She seems to be feeling well, at least?

https://twitter.com/keishabottoms/status/1280256462674104321?s=21

allegro
07-06-2020, 08:34 PM
https://twitter.com/miafarrow/status/1280250885986271232?s=21

versusreality
07-07-2020, 11:26 AM
The president of Brazil, who has dismissed the seriousness of the virus, has tested positive.

binaryhermit
07-07-2020, 12:31 PM
I bet Jair Bolsonaro did Nazi that coming.

Sarah_Munn
07-08-2020, 07:27 AM
"The World Health Organization has acknowledged there is emerging evidence that the coronavirus can be spread by tiny particles suspended in the air. The airborne transmission could not be ruled out in crowded, closed or poorly ventilated settings, an official said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53329946 (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53329946)

allegate
07-08-2020, 08:22 PM
I don't think that Bolsonaro has COVID. The fact that he's actively pushing the HCQ thing as 'it's going to cure me' makes me really doubt it. How good will it be for him if he magically gets better with that instead of waiting for a vaccine?

it's a smaller tin foil hat, not quite full-sized.

Magnetic
07-08-2020, 08:51 PM
Jesus Fucking Christ.
https://www.mysuncoast.com/2020/07/08/federal-agencies-hazmat-crews-respond-bradenton-church-selling-covid-miracle-solution/

My question is, who the fuck sold them 8,300 lbs of sodium chlorite. To a church. WTF?

chuckrh
07-08-2020, 10:37 PM
Jesus Fucking Christ.
https://www.mysuncoast.com/2020/07/08/federal-agencies-hazmat-crews-respond-bradenton-church-selling-covid-miracle-solution/

My question is, who the fuck sold them 8,300 lbs of sodium chlorite. To a church. WTF?

sad to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqdErI9uss

Jinsai
07-09-2020, 03:23 AM
Anyone want to tell me what set of stats Trump was referencing when he tweeted "Death Rate from Coronavirus is down tenfold!" earlier this evening?

Sure... you see, there's like 15 cases, and pretty soon, it'll be down to none. It's like a miracle; it'll juuuuuuuust poof go away.

He's doing what he always does: lying about stuff that he thinks makes him look bad, even if the lie is actually damaging to say. This is probably the first time in his shitty life that actually just bullshitting around is directly going to result in people dying, but hey... the fuck does he care

allegate
07-09-2020, 01:39 PM
There's going to be a protest against wearing masks at the building I work at 4:00 today. They sent us a link to the Facebook post and said we have to be out of here by Noon. They authorized admin leave for those who cannot work from home but expect the rest of us to work from home. No biggie, just that I walked today and don't feel like taking my laptop on a 45-minute walk!

allegro
07-09-2020, 01:52 PM
There's going to be a protest against wearing masks at the building I work at 4:00 today. They sent us a link to the Facebook post and said we have to be out of here by Noon. They authorized admin leave for those who cannot work from home but expect the rest of us to work from home. No biggie, just that I walked today and don't feel like taking my laptop on a 45-minute walk!

What the fuck.

WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!

Seriously, I am this woman all day every day:

https://twitter.com/doxie53/status/1280701715407417344?s=20

versusreality
07-09-2020, 02:29 PM

wtf? a protest against wearing masks? fuck those people.

allegate
07-09-2020, 03:34 PM
At least it's a small group? "There are 20 individuals stating on social media they plan to attend and 105 indicating that they are interested in attending". That's from the Facebook post they linked to.

Given how these Facebook gatherings usually go I actually expect it to be closer to 10 people show, not counting the people they drag along because they're the ride.

hellospaceboy
07-10-2020, 08:06 AM
I don't know if we've talked about this here:
https://medcitynews.com/2020/07/spanish-study-suggests-herd-immunity-against-covid-19-may-not-be-possible/

This is really bad news, not just for herd-immunity, but also for the prospect of having an effective vaccine. In short, only patients with severe reactions to the virus retained significant levels of antibodies, and those who went through Covid19 with little-to-no symptoms didn't. This really sucks.

versusreality
07-10-2020, 08:09 AM
can't say I'm surprised. the world is forever changed. anyone thinking we're going back to normal is unfortunately holding on to a false hope. it does suck.

allegate
07-10-2020, 10:15 AM
if that comes to pass then there was really no way to slow the virus's march, right? It was going to be a barn-burner regardless?

Magnetic
07-10-2020, 09:51 PM
I don't know if we've talked about this here:
https://medcitynews.com/2020/07/spanish-study-suggests-herd-immunity-against-covid-19-may-not-be-possible/

This is really bad news, not just for herd-immunity, but also for the prospect of having an effective vaccine. In short, only patients with severe reactions to the virus retained significant levels of antibodies, and those who went through Covid19 with little-to-no symptoms didn't. This really sucks.

Yes and no.
It appears that people who don't have significant reactions to the virus ("Type A")may have inherent "native" immunological adaptions that allow them to fight off the virus. This means their basic, non-specialized immunity fights it off ok.
For those that don't have that magic non-specialized immunity ("Type B"), they rely on there "adapted" immunity, which means their body has to produce antibodies to cope, so those show up in the assay given for the study.

The question remains if is Type A's are contagious to to Type B's, and whether or not they can become repeatedly infectious over time. It won't change anything for the Type A community (potentially), but it becomes threatening to the Type B community repeatedly over time.
Regardless, it has the potential that a vaccine, which follows Type B lineage, might still be advantageous. The caveat here is depending on how rapidly the virus mutates or adapts. Jury is out there.

allegro
07-11-2020, 12:05 AM
I have O+ blood type, so now I guess that might be some kind of superpower?

Then there’s THIS:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/health/coronavirus-neanderthals.html

Magnetic
07-11-2020, 12:16 AM
No idea, as I don't have that subscription.
FWIW, I'm A+, so I'm probably fucked. :P

chuckrh
07-11-2020, 06:14 AM
It looks like Seattle is headed back to shelter in place. Rates of infected & deaths are trending up. A popular restaurant at the beach near where I live had 7 employees who tested positive. The health department closed them down whilst citing that proper safeguards had not been put in place. Unfortunately, the closing probably came too late. The beach area was a madhouse over the holiday weekend a week ago. Also an area about the same distance away (1-2 miles) from home has an infected rate of 20%. It's an area outside the city limits that is in the unincorporated county. Lots of immigrants & more poverty than the city side. Too damn close to home by far!

versusreality
07-11-2020, 06:32 AM
it's never good news to hear that a place that was doing well is going backwards.

on that note, I'm expecting that to happen here in the NJ/NYC area within the next couple weeks. some people are acting like it's totally gone over here when it's not.

allegro
07-11-2020, 01:33 PM
No idea, as I don't have that subscription.

It's from this (https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.03.186296v1).

https://medium.com/@johnhawks/neanderthals-and-covid-19-beyond-the-hype-c258dc8bc2c9

Erneuert
07-11-2020, 10:32 PM
What the actual fuck?

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-patient-in-their-30s-who-thought-it-was-a-hoax-dies-in-the-us-c-1160523

ManBurning
07-12-2020, 04:35 AM
What the actual fuck?

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-patient-in-their-30s-who-thought-it-was-a-hoax-dies-in-the-us-c-1160523

I think it's fake.
I posted a similar post a few pages back about people hosting COVID parties, and it was shot down as fake news. That article reeks of very poor journalism.
Based on all the sad stories I have read about people catching COVID and dying, they usually always tell you a little bit about the patient and their life before they died., At least the gender and the age. This one does not do either of those.

It's very vague. I think an article like this is used to try and keep people from going about carelessly acting like nothing is wrong. It's trying to go abouts getting the point of "stay inside. Social distance. Wear a mask" in a very poor manner.

BRoswell
07-12-2020, 08:39 AM
I think it's fake.

The video is real at least.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/07/11/texas-patient-30-dies-after-attending-covid-party-doctor-says/5422175002/

Jinsai
07-12-2020, 09:00 AM
nah, pretty sure that "COVID Party" thing is real; there's tons of sites running with it.

This "wearing a mask violates mah freedoms! I think I shall protest" is 100% Donald Trump's fault.

botley
07-12-2020, 09:46 AM
nah, pretty sure that "COVID Party" thing is real; there's tons of sites running with it.
Are they *independently verifying* it, though, or just repeating hearsay from individuals claiming to have heard of one/saw a person who claims to have attended one?

This "wearing a mask violates mah freedoms! I think I shall protest" is 100% Donald Trump's fault.
It's partly 45, but also the rest of the GOP and a global right-wing/libertarian movement that they've embraced (which is also rearing its ugly head up here, sadly). The "face coverings = Islamofascism" narrative was deeply engrained even before he became President.

Magnetic
07-12-2020, 11:26 AM
Christ on a bike.
15,300 new cases in Florida. In one day.

"If Florida were a country, it would rank fourth in the world for the most new cases a day behind the United States, Brazil and India."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-florida/florida-reports-over-15000-covid-19-cases-in-single-day-record-idUSKCN24D0I5

chuckrh
07-12-2020, 11:33 AM
Christ on a bike.

"If Florida were a country, it would rank fourth in the world for the most new cases a day behind the United States, Brazil and India."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-florida/florida-reports-over-15000-covid-19-cases-in-single-day-record-idUSKCN24D0I5

& the Disney impact hasn't even kicked in yet.

ManBurning
07-12-2020, 03:35 PM
Christ on a bike.

So basically, we're all doomed. Great.
Already knew that, but, Great.

Jinsai
07-12-2020, 08:51 PM
Acquaintance online is claiming she had it but knocked it out in 4 hours with zinc. I must not respond... I must just walk along and say nothing

Magnetic
07-12-2020, 09:08 PM
I love it when people do that. 95% of people don't even understand that you have to balance excess zinc intake with copper.
Go for it honey!

thelastdisciple
07-12-2020, 10:58 PM
Those of you who wear glasses and are wearing masks. Can you speak to how effective any of these tips and tricks are for defogging?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/04/16/how-to-stop-face-masks-from-fogging-up-your-glasses/#5fce23f02e6a

Sarah_Munn
07-13-2020, 04:01 AM
thelastdisciple Putting a square of folded kitchen towel across the bridge of my nose under the mask helped. I read yesterday using dish detergents to create a hydrophobic film would damage your lenses. A nurse recommended using surgical tape to seal across the top of the mask, haven't tried that yet.

allegro
07-13-2020, 04:06 AM
thelastdisciple Putting a square of folded kitchen towel across the bridge of my nose under the mask helped. I read yesterday using dish detergents to create a hydrophobic film would damage your lenses. A nurse recommended using surgical tape to seal across the top of the mask, haven't tried that yet.
The soapy water doesn’t work. But I’ll try the tissue.

All of my masks bend around the nose; doesn’t prevent fogging for me, at all.

Sarah_Munn
07-13-2020, 04:15 AM
allegro I have found the same, I think separate ties top and bottom of the mask may help because you can tie the top tightly and then mould across the bridge. It's a small problem compared to getting the virus but it's really annoying. Before the tissue I have been nearly blinded by fogging, especially at night.

hellospaceboy
07-13-2020, 02:25 PM
Those of you who wear glasses and are wearing masks. Can you speak to how effective any of these tips and tricks are for defogging?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/04/16/how-to-stop-face-masks-from-fogging-up-your-glasses/#5fce23f02e6a

I found that if my glasses are resting on top of my mask they don't fog up that much...

marodi
07-13-2020, 02:33 PM
In Quebec, wearing a mask while inside public places will be mandatory starting this Saturday. This glasses fogging thing is driving me so bonkers that I'm desperate enough to try taping the mask on top of my nose using double side tape.

Without my glasses everything is blurry and I can't read at all.

Jinsai
07-13-2020, 03:32 PM
so, the White House was conducting opposition research on how to undermine their own infectious disease expert because he refused to kiss the ring and say everything is fine and going great.

That would be a pretty unbelievable thing to actually consider under any other presidency.

versusreality
07-13-2020, 03:38 PM
LA county is not reopening schools in the fall. San Diego too.

smart choices

ManBurning
07-13-2020, 03:46 PM
In Quebec, wearing a mask while inside public places will be mandatory starting this Saturday. .

I wish BC would follow suit. Too many people not taking it seriously here anymore. See photos and videos all over Instagram of people partying and hugging it out and no physical distancing at restaurants, packed patios etc.
Our cases are on the rise again. Maybe 1 in 15 people still wear a mask at the store. I haven't rode transit since March, but when I see the busses go by, maybe 1 or 2 people max are wearing a mask on the whole bus.

It's gonna hit hard in the fall. I'll be doing a big shop for stuff to ensure I don't have to leave the house this winter at all. Shit is really gonna hit the fan in the fall/winter.

versusreality
07-13-2020, 04:15 PM
I went to Central Park yesterday, and drove around NYC for a bit afterwards. I am SO PROUD of how many people were wearing masks throughout the city and park. It was a rare sight to see someone NOT wearing one! Moreso there than the 15 mins away where I'm from in NJ (and there's even wayyyy less mask wearing in south Jersey) .

As a teacher, I want to say this too, because it's frustrating. I hear a lot of "oh the teachers want the kids back in the classroom"
I don't. I don't have faith in the local district or state or federal guidance for this to go well.
Education is important. The economy is important. But health, and life itself, is of the utmost importance.

Echoplex99
07-14-2020, 10:16 AM
I'm sure this has been mentioned before in the threads, but I apparantly am too stupid to work the search feature on the message board - but with COVID, idiots running the US, UK, and Russia, record high temperatures in the US today, stronger hurricanes and tornados, worsening wild fires, and the US on the verge of civil war, I feel like Trent's Year Zero concept may not be that far off. I especially keep going back to The Warning. At this point, I feel like whomever is the higher being, needs to come down and give humans a warning because we are all idiots collectively, and honestly, I don't think we deserve to live on this planet. We are a virus, and we are killing off our host.

Also, Agent Smith's revelation to Neo in the first Matrix about humans are not a mammal, and instead are a virus, because they keep multiplying and multiplying, using up all the resources and then spreading to another location.

The world is on fire, and collectively the human race doesn't care.

allegate
07-14-2020, 05:22 PM
https://twitter.com/Redpainter1/status/1283140329579962369

2020 has changed my "empathy for everyone" setting to "empathy for some, laughter for others".

And I know that's harsh but I can't stand these people and how they see fit to live their lives, always lying and then lying about the lies.

d1stinct
07-14-2020, 06:31 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned before in the threads, but I apparantly am too stupid to work the search feature on the message board - but with COVID, idiots running the US, UK, and Russia, record high temperatures in the US today, stronger hurricanes and tornados, worsening wild fires, and the US on the verge of civil war, I feel like Trent's Year Zero concept may not be that far off. I especially keep going back to The Warning. At this point, I feel like whomever is the higher being, needs to come down and give humans a warning because we are all idiots collectively, and honestly, I don't think we deserve to live on this planet. We are a virus, and we are killing off our host.

Also, Agent Smith's revelation to Neo in the first Matrix about humans are not a mammal, and instead are a virus, because they keep multiplying and multiplying, using up all the resources and then spreading to another location.

The world is on fire, and collectively the human race doesn't care.

It's unfortunate, isn't it? "God Break Down the Door" also harks back at me at least once a week. I sometimes wonder if I'm on the brink nihilism because of the actions of my fellow humans, past and present - which doesn't exclude my own actions that I regret, like for instance, my lack of recycling trash.

Jinsai
07-15-2020, 01:37 PM
the Orange County board of Education is encouraging kids to go back to school, to NOT maintain any attempts at social distancing, and that "masks are not recommended" because the science doesn't back it up, and "may even be harmful."

Jon
07-16-2020, 11:42 AM
the Orange County board of Education is encouraging kids to go back to school, to NOT maintain any attempts at social distancing, and that "masks are not recommended" because the science doesn't back it up, and "may even be harmful."

Something blocking droplets is better than nothing in this case. That's just common sense; if you need to wait a year for 3 science publications to tell you it's a good idea before you start thinking about wearing a mask, you weren't paying attention from the beginning.

Re: harmful: that original story about masks being harmful because of increased oxygen and CO2 levels was specifically for N95 masks. Also, it was increased oxygen and CO2 levels, nothing to indicate harm unless you have a cardiopulmonary co-morbidity (and your chance to contract just about anything is increased with heart and lung problems). Masks are fucking uncomfortable, and people are great at making excuses.

Meanwhile, in Illinois and Missouri, parents are being asked to sign poorly-worded coronavirus death waivers for kids wanting to participate in after-school activities.

versusreality
07-16-2020, 01:18 PM
numbers are disappearing since the White House took over for corona data. what a shocker.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/us-coronavirus-data-has-already-disappeared-after-trump-administration-shifted-control-from-cdc-to-hhs.html

Sarah_Munn
07-16-2020, 01:38 PM
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1283831998973452294?s=20

allegate
07-16-2020, 03:03 PM
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1283839047299825664

wow.

Jinsai
07-16-2020, 05:07 PM
Kayleigh, on supporting Trump's urging to just send all the kids back to school: "The science should not stand in the way of this."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/jul/16/coronavirus-us-covid-donald-trump-anthony-fauci-joe-biden-live-updates

versusreality
07-16-2020, 07:56 PM
my co-teacher's son, after watching the news...a legit quote:
"Dad, they are trying to kill you guys"

mfte
07-17-2020, 12:59 PM
Kayleigh, on supporting Trump's urging to just send all the kids back to school: "The science should not stand in the way of this."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/jul/16/coronavirus-us-covid-donald-trump-anthony-fauci-joe-biden-live-updates

Just "follow the science" what's the problem?

M1ke
07-17-2020, 01:31 PM
https://i.redd.it/88m4bzcxnfb51.png

versusreality
07-17-2020, 01:37 PM
cases rising in kids around the country with some summer schools and camps open.
but it's ok to send the kids in September.
fuck this
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-16/childhood-covid-19-infections-mount-with-schools-eyeing-openings

zero
07-17-2020, 07:45 PM

For a cheap mask (cloth mask, anything with ear loops, etc.) the only thing which works for me to prevent eyeglass fogging is to tape the top of the mask to my face with about 4 inches of first aid tape. That silly pinchey wire thing is woefully inadequate for my huge bony nose!

For professional grade respirators like what I wear for working with cement dust or asbestos, finding a brand which correctly forms a perfect seal to my face is paramount. But I am not supposed to wear these masks in public, even though I have several in my tool kit!

Interesting note: The N95 mask we have all heard about is rated to filter out 95% of particles .3 microns or larger. In other words, it will let though 5% of particles (including the virus) .3 microns or larger. Is it completely safe to breath air which still has 5% of the virus particles present? NO. But it's 95% better than nothing which is a very serious advantage.

The mask I usually wear when dealing with asbestos is rated P100. This mask will stop 99.9% of particles .3 microns or larger. Which is really darn good. But it still lets through a very small amount. The protection is not absolute. And it's critically dependent upon how well the mask fits to my face. The smallest air leakage renders the mask ineffective for it's intended purpose.

chuckrh
07-18-2020, 06:00 AM
insomniamaniac tonight. chemo side effects. anyway, surfing on the net & found a whole bunch of NIN & related face masks. full disclosure: pretty sure these aren't sanctioned but some of them are pretty cool.

https://fineartamerica.com/shop/face+masks/nine+inch+nails

allegate
07-20-2020, 10:15 AM
https://twitter.com/stltoday/status/1285199041417158663

Putting on a tiny tin hat for a second: As brazen as they are, there must be conversations nationally about what November is being shaped to look like. Right? I mean they have to know something is coming for them to just put it all out there like this. Or do they just know that the majority of Republican voters don't care what they say as long as they support guns and abolishing abortion?

M1ke
07-20-2020, 10:40 AM
Putting on a tiny tin hat for a second: As brazen as they are, there must be conversations nationally about what November is being shaped to look like. Right? I mean they have to know something is coming for them to just put it all out there like this. Or do they just know that the majority of Republican voters don't care what they say as long as they support guns and abolishing abortion?

They're all following Trumps lead now, and that is to discredit things that don't fit with what they want.

That strategy works when sexism is on your side and you're discrediting a female presidential candidate. That strategy might work when you're trying to discredit all democrats.

But that strategy probably won't work with a virus. I mean, I could be wrong, I didn't think it'd work with a lot of the things it worked with, but we'll have to see in November.

versusreality
07-20-2020, 12:55 PM
brace yourselves
the daily press briefings look like they may be returning tomorrow:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/20/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-briefings/index.html

chuckrh
07-20-2020, 01:22 PM
brace yourselves
the daily press briefings look like they may be returning tomorrow:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/20/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-briefings/index.html

God help us all....

Archive_Reports
07-20-2020, 01:24 PM
https://twitter.com/stltoday/status/1285199041417158663

You would really think so but it seems like the newest strategy is to just double-down lest you look like a "coward" or something.

allegro
07-20-2020, 03:40 PM
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1284912638577655808?s=20

allegate
07-20-2020, 05:13 PM
https://twitter.com/JohnFugelsang/status/1285330504233910272

allegate
07-20-2020, 05:56 PM
I'll be honest, I had to rack my brain for the first half of this tweet.

https://twitter.com/JRehling/status/1284988947760705536

DF118
07-22-2020, 12:23 PM
I went to Central Park yesterday, and drove around NYC for a bit afterwards. I am SO PROUD of how many people were wearing masks throughout the city and park. It was a rare sight to see someone NOT wearing one! Moreso there than the 15 mins away where I'm from in NJ (and there's even wayyyy less mask wearing in south Jersey) .

I live in Manhattan and walk in Central Park frequently- I like to do a lap around the loop every couple of days or so. The heat these past couple of weeks has made it tough for a lot of people to comply throughout, but most are trying, and the masks promptly go on when people pass each other.

That said, the stall attendant asshat who sold me a bottle of water and started pawing at the cap with his grubby fingers before trying to pass it to me- he got a pretty serious dressing down this morning.

Jinsai
07-22-2020, 02:25 PM
people are wearing masks around here, and I generally don't get out of my car for long anyway. I haven't been going to any real public areas... there's a decent spot to walk around here that's pretty vacant.

What really pisses me off is when I'm running in to the store or something, and everyone's wearing masks (because they'll be asked to leave otherwise), and they walk up to the counter and slip the mask off during their transaction. I really think a lot of these people wouldn't be wearing a mask at all if they weren't required to.

Which gets to the point: WE NEED a national mask mandate NOW. If Trump had handled the mask situation right from the start by, y'know, not mocking a reporter for wearing one and insinuating that his refusal to remove it was due to "political correctness." Yeah, and we wonder how this got political... SO now his limp "masks, I think, yeah, you should probably wear em" is too little too late. You already seeded the idea that it was tough and anti-PC to NOT wear a mask, now you have to actually make up for your fuck-up and mandate it, and anything less than that will just be a point alongside all the other ways this administration has completely screwed the handling of this. At the VERY LEAST the president should be stressing this in no uncertain terms, and ALWAYS wear a mask in front of cameras so that he sends the right message AND I don't have to look at half of his fucking face.

Erneuert
07-23-2020, 12:57 AM
Not related to this virus, but such nasty stuff happens from animal/human (food) interaction. Look at this recent headline. Makes me squirm (no pun intended): https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/mans-liver-packed-with-worms-after-eating-seafood-c-1186710

versusreality
07-23-2020, 05:44 AM
^ glad I gave up eating animal products a few years ago.

an infectious disease doctor I highly respect, who uses mostly peer-reviewed non funded scientific journals as sources, did this and if true, we're going to be in trouble. COVID 19 might just be a dress rehearsal for the next pandemic, which could be even crazier. i recall Fauci once saying in an interview that he expects another pandemic in the not too distant future too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QwcCTbKFM8&t=0s

allegro
07-23-2020, 05:58 AM
Not related to this virus, but such nasty stuff happens from animal/human (food) interaction.
He ate UNCOOKED FLOUNDER RIGHT OUT OF A LAKE.

Even sushi is flash-frozen to kill parasites.

I am not advocating the consumption of animal products, but you can contract parasites via the consumption of vegetables, too. Gotta wash your veggies.

Erneuert
07-23-2020, 06:04 AM
He ate UNCOOKED FLOUNDER RIGHT OUT OF A LAKE.

Even sushi is flash-frozen to kill parasites.

I am not advocating the consumption of animal products, but you can contract parasites via the consumption of vegetables, too. Gotta wash your veggies.

Pretty sure I vomited a few weeks ago from some lettuce that I accidentally didn’t wash properly. My sink wasn’t very fond of me for the rest of the day.

somewhat_
07-24-2020, 07:43 PM
I had a discussion with someone the other day at work about something I haven’t yet seen brought up somewhere else. If the reports are true that many people can suffer long term damage as far as to lungs, blood clots, etc. (maybe even currently asymptomatic people) and the antibodies only protect you for a few months, then what is likely to happen to that person when/if they catch it again? All of a sudden a lot more people will have pre-existing health problems from the virus they’ve already previously obtained that they’ve now obtained a second time. Maybe I’m missing something and I’m way off base (I’m not a scientist), but could this turn into an even bigger shit show?

allegro
07-24-2020, 08:02 PM
I had a discussion with someone the other day at work about something I haven’t yet seen brought up somewhere else. If the reports are true that many people can suffer long term damage as far as to lungs, blood clots, etc. (maybe even currently asymptomatic people) and the antibodies only protect you for a few months, then what is likely to happen to that person when/if they catch it again? All of a sudden a lot more people will have pre-existing health problems from the virus they’ve already previously obtained that they’ve now obtained a second time. Maybe I’m missing something and I’m way off base (I’m not a scientist), but could this turn into an even bigger shit show?

Well, yeah, that's a BIG potential problem; there are pre-existings that make these people REALLY vulnerable.

And this is yet another reason why we need to get rid of Trump and keep healthcare coverage!

versusreality
07-24-2020, 08:30 PM
but send the kids to school!!!

more teachers are speaking out. more districts are closing. I really hope my district closes because as it stands right now, september is going to be a shit show of the highest degree. and I don't feel safe, even as a young and healthy person.

Magnetic
07-24-2020, 11:24 PM

It's complicated. My limited understanding (I'm not a medical dr/ I have cellular/ molecular training) follows this way of thinking:

There are people who have innate immunity to this. This could be why a large percentage of the population are asymptomatic AND they don't develop antibodies. This is why most/ but not all children *seem* to be ok with this virus. Innate immunity is simply inherited from mostly genetics/ maternal immunity. In this scenario - no antibodies are produced (at least not to significant amounts) because the body doesn't need them to fight off the infection.

However, there is a subset of the population who appear healthy and viable - but they have a severe reaction. This shows up in younger adults AND children.

Either they have unknown underlying preconditions or
They lack all components of whatever innate immunity others have.

People who have severe reactions to the virus tend to develop significant antibodies - if they survive. This follows the classic Adaptive Immunity response:

Your body is presented with a pathogen --> Various cells encounter it, and produce antibodies to it.
In theory - if the body develops antibodies, it should be immune unless it mutates.

Yes, the virus has mutated....but not in virulence that we've observed so far. The mutation makes it more infectious (European/ American strains) but not more virulent

We don't know how long those antibodies will last, but serum transplants tend to help those in ICU when administered with sufficient time to save them.

3. There may be people with innate immunity, but pre-existing conditions complicate the response. This makes them more dependent upon adaptive immunity, but their system is already "broken" in a way. The elderly tend to fall into this category, as well as people with high levels of inflammation: diabetes, hypertension, etc.

4. Additionally.... there are many avenues of approach for this virus. While it primarily affects the respiratory system, it's more alarming with regard to it's vascular virulence: renal failure, stroke, blot clots, etc. These issues seem to arise in seemingly "healthy" people - which in my mind means, it's slipping past the innate immune response and causing problems completely different from the "traditional" respiratory illness. This may point to underlying causes we're unaware of.

5. The long term damage is a legit thing. This crap basically scars lungs and damages kidneys.

[*=1]Even more reason to get rid of that Angry Cheeto who sits in office.

[*=1]So, is there a chance your innate immunity fights it off, and they you get to go for round two? Perhaps.
[*=1]Should we dash all hope a vaccine will help? No.
[*=1]Should we take this as a fucking lesson, and prepare for the next pandemic? Abso-fucking-lutely.
[*=1]Should we all wear masks and social distance? Fuck yes.

I've known quite a few people who have gone through this. It isn't easy, but most of them report resting and doing breathing exercises daily. They describe it as "fighting" with their lungs, but if they don't, they fear pneumonia. And in Florida right now, ICUs are overwhelmed.

I've been hiding since March, because I don't feel lucky with my genetic lottery, and I'm scared as fuck at this stuff.
What pisses me off the most, is the angry cheeto trying to knee-cap the ACA right now. It's fucking disgusting.