PDA

View Full Version : Coronavirus - COVID-19

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

cdm
04-03-2020, 06:31 PM

He is such a disgusting piece of shit. Absolutely morally bankrupt.

allegro
04-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Shortages not caused by hoarding. (https://marker.medium.com/amp/p/c812e1358fe0)

40% of toilet paper use is commercial. When you close down commerce and shift everything to residential, residential demand goes to nearly 100%; except, commercial TP isn’t intended for residential use, nor is the commercial TP industry geared up for the residential market. Ditto for commercial produce, etc.

It appears that some commercials industries are now selling directly to residential. Interesting stuff.

Magnetic
04-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Parsons FINALLY issued a Stay At Home for Missouri. But they just said on our local news that Missouri is expected to peak in LATE MAY. Ughhhhhhhhh fucking hell.

Yah, but it looks like you won't have an ICU bed shortage. See here: https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

cdm
04-03-2020, 06:50 PM
Parsons FINALLY issued a Stay At Home for Missouri. But they just said on our local news that Missouri is expected to peak in LATE MAY. Ughhhhhhhhh fucking hell.

It seems counter intuitive but states able to draw out the crisis over a longer period of time will be better equipped to save as many lives as possible.

Edit: this is a bit of an oversimplification as you'd also be relying on serious curve flattening (and therefore serious public buy-in) to be an optimal situation.

richardp
04-03-2020, 06:53 PM
Yah, but it looks like you won't have an ICU bed shortage. See here: https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

That's not necessarily true. Missouri is, I would almost go so far to say, one of the most underprepared state in the entire country in terms of medical equipment. One of my good friends is an IC Nurse at one of the biggest hospitals here in Missouri and is also a top rep for their local union. She's currently going HARD trying to get the proper medical equipment because of how little the area has to spare. They are all having to share PPE and scramble for equipment from other sources. And this is with KC having an insanely smaller amount of cases than St Louis. The hospitals in KC are already feeling the struggle, and it hasn't even really hit here yet. But this is just from years and years and years and Republican leadership in the state that has forever put health and education at the absolute bottom of the list of things to worry about in good ol' red blooded conservative avangelical Missoura.

ltrandazzo
04-03-2020, 06:56 PM
That's not necessarily true. Missouri is, I would almost go so far to say, one of the most underprepared state in the entire country in terms of medical equipment. One of my good friends is an IC Nurse at one of the biggest hospitals here in Missouri and is also a top rep for their local union. She's currently going HARD trying to get the proper medical equipment because of how little the area has to spare. They are all having to share PPE and scramble for equipment from other sources. And this is with KC having an insanely smaller amount of cases than St Louis. The hospitals in KC are already feeling the struggle, and it hasn't even really hit here yet. But this is just from years and years and years and Republican leadership in the state that has forever put health and education at the absolute bottom of the list of things to worry about in good ol' red blooded conservative avangelical Missoura.

I second this. I'm from STL and one of our friends who works at Cardinal Glennon says they are fucked if this thing blows up and the feeling in STL is that it will. Rural North & South MO are gonna crowd KC and STL because they've been bumkining it up and not paying attention to this shit.

Magnetic
04-03-2020, 06:56 PM
You are absolutely right...I was speaking from ignorance by looking at projected data with no real grasp on how things are in the present state.

bobbie solo
04-03-2020, 10:15 PM

He is such a disgusting piece of shit. Absolutely morally bankrupt.

i would love more than to spit in his miserable fucking face & kick him down a flight of stairs.

Magnetic
04-03-2020, 10:22 PM
I get physically ill anytime I listen to him speak. I just want to rage stomp on his face.

richardp
04-03-2020, 10:34 PM
I second this. I'm from STL and one of our friends who works at Cardinal Glennon says they are fucked if this thing blows up and the feeling in STL is that it will. Rural North & South MO are gonna crowd KC and STL because they've been bumkining it up and not paying attention to this shit.

I keep thinking just how much worse this could have been for Kansas City if the Chiefs had won the Super Bowl just a couple weeks later. We had 1,000,000 people jampacked into the downtown area for that parade. It would have been fucking game over here I bet.

Erneuert
04-04-2020, 02:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVXLaHu1T84 (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uVXLaHu1T84)

allegro
04-04-2020, 11:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVXLaHu1T84 (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uVXLaHu1T84)

Other than the Tulsi comments, on which I have insufficient evidence to comment, plus some other stuff re masks that has changed in various area, this was somewhat overly alarming yet, when you connect some of the dots, a lot of it makes sense. Especially the Passover analogy.

Like: Trump canceled pandemic early warning program designed to find threats exactly like COVID-19 (https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4/3/1933917/-Trump-canceled-pandemic-early-warning-program-designed-to-find-threats-exactly-like-COVID-19).

Like Gov. Pritzker and Mayor Lightfoot ripping into Jared Kushner on TV yesterday re Kushner’s assertion that all medical supplies are property of the Federal government:

https://twitter.com/chicagotribune/status/1246419264019607553?s=20

allegate
04-04-2020, 02:53 PM
“I don’t know if Jared Kushner knows this, but it’s called the United States of America."

for how much longer though?

bryan_NIN65
04-04-2020, 03:05 PM
i would love more than to spit in his miserable fucking face & kick him down a flight of stairs.

That video was great, at least he was honest,lol. I can't believe how many people on this board hate and threaten trump, WOW.

chuckrh
04-04-2020, 03:22 PM
That video was great, at least he was honest,lol. I can't believe how many people on this board hate and threaten trump, WOW.

your true NIN fans tend to be a pretty intelligent bunch for the most part. just saying....

theimage13
04-04-2020, 05:53 PM
That video was great, at least he was honest,lol.

April Fool's Day was three days ago.

richardp
04-04-2020, 06:27 PM

Y'all, this is the same guy who said a few days ago that we should open back up the economy, because getting back to work is more important than stopping the spread of a global pandemic.

https://i.imgflip.com/3vezat.jpg

Erneuert
04-04-2020, 07:36 PM

Comments like these are why extraterrestrial life have driven past our planet and said “...nah” and moved on to more intellectually advanced galaxies.

ziltoid
04-04-2020, 07:41 PM
Bill Gates knows about viruses:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-dCPcIAI9z/?igshid=tomtf28kvar9

2015 Ted Talk:
https://youtu.be/6Af6b_wyiwI

To add to that fascinating Ted Talk video.
The USA and the world should have heeded his warning just like Al Gore and global warming but here we are...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyFT8qXcOrM

bryan_NIN65
04-04-2020, 09:17 PM
Comments like these are why extraterrestrial life have driven past our planet and said “...nah” and moved on to more intellectually advanced galaxies.

But you like a band that sings big man with a gun and closer? Wow what the fuck people, this really was my fav board till now. We all are different and have different beliefs, but your ok with trent saying he wants to fuck you like an animal and want to CUM ON YOUR FACE but that little(model) joke from Trump sets you off? Nice double standard hypocrite. Whether anybody like Trump or not that was a funny joke, everyone sins and is bad a little or make bad calls sometimes but you only judge the ones you don't like?

And my comment about a joke would send off the aliens but they are cool with spitting and kicking the President. Yeah ok.

Magnetic
04-04-2020, 09:39 PM
But you like a band that sings big man with a gun and closer? Wow what the fuck people, this really was my fav board till now. We all are different and have different beliefs, but your ok with trent saying he wants to fuck you like an animal and want to CUM ON YOUR FACE but that little(model) joke from Trump sets you off? Nice double standard hypocrite. Whether anybody like Trump or not that was a funny joke, everyone sins and is bad a little or make bad calls sometimes but you only judge the ones you don't like?

I dunno man, I think there's some honesty in someone saying they want to fuck you and cum on your face. Then there's another level of someone saying they know everything when they're so fucking ignorant they don't understand that they need to consult and heed the advice of professionals. And then lie to the country repeatedly to the detriment and collapse of society only to satisfy their demented need of egotism.

There's two ways of being fucked. I think I know which one I prefer.

And last I checked, Trent Reznor is not running for office.

Erneuert
04-04-2020, 09:46 PM

And my comment about a joke would send off the aliens but they are cool with spitting and kicking the President. Yeah ok.

Nothing wrong with saying grabbing women by their pussies either.

bryan_NIN65
04-04-2020, 09:49 PM
He addimited he only had experience with "other models" and just cause some is in political office dosent mean they are not human. We know Bill loved blow jobs, ect. This was about somebody being offended by the sexual comment of Trump and I just didn't understand how they could be offended about someone's experience with models.

bryan_NIN65
04-04-2020, 09:50 PM
Nothing wrong with saying grabbing women by their pussies either.

That is locker room type talk that EVRY GUY I KNOW has committed at some time. Remember the President is human too. So no guy here has perverted talks with friends at any point?

BRoswell
04-04-2020, 09:55 PM

It's a liiiiitle bit different when you've been accused of sexual harassment and assault by dozens of women (including your ex-wife). It's also a liiiitle bit different when you're in the midst of a crisis and thousands of people are dead or dying. Nobody wants jokes from this motherfucker. They want leadership, and they ain't getting it.

Also, if you can't see how the lyrics from Closer and Big Man With A Gun are meant to be seen in a negative, self-destructive way, then you're not much of a fan in my opinion.

bryan_NIN65
04-04-2020, 10:08 PM
Yes I see the negative and pray for all politicians to work together. I comment about the economy a few days ago is only because I don't think 30 days is gonna be longer enough to see the cases go down. But then what? 60days 90days? I really don't know, but I do think about the economy and quality and freedoms of life greatly too. Maybe we can just keep printing money to stay home buy I fear for the small business the most here along with human life, there is no right or wrong here right now in my oppion. But it's just a thought. I feel that we really need to close even essential stuff for the stay at home to work and have nation guard drop off care packs. With the current stay at home orders people just still go to stores and spread it or they have to still go work and spread it. I feel it's all or nothing. If it gonna work then really lock shut down cause now people will just use shopping as an excuse to go out.

Sarah K
04-04-2020, 10:08 PM
It's almost like the standards are different for someone playing a character in a song and the person holding arguably the most powerful position on the entire planet.

BRoswell
04-04-2020, 10:12 PM
It's almost like the standards are different for someone playing a character in a song and the person holding arguably the most powerful position on the entire planet.

Who da thunk it?

bryan_NIN65
04-04-2020, 10:13 PM

People in power can have a sense of humor too. Laughter is the best medicine if ya don't take Every thing to personal.

BRoswell
04-04-2020, 10:16 PM
Laughter is the best medicine if ya don't take Every thing to personal.

Tell that to the people in the body bags.

bryan_NIN65
04-04-2020, 10:18 PM
Tell that to the people in the body bags.
That was about the situation not the actual victims man. Sometimes a little smile to break the hell on earth can be ok. Life sucks right now but try to make the best ya can.

Magnetic
04-04-2020, 10:37 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/12FfNKPlSR5k2c/giphy.gif

allegate
04-04-2020, 11:08 PM
That is locker room type talk that EVRY GUY I KNOW has committed at some time. Remember the President is human too. So no guy here has perverted talks with friends at any point?
what? I call Donnie every weekend to talk about models!

Sarah K
04-04-2020, 11:25 PM
This is one neighborhood away from me, a block away from where I get groceries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT9SXzfB6_Y&feature=emb_title
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT9SXzfB6_Y&feature=emb_title

The city brought in 45 of these trucks to serve as morgue space, and FEMA is sending 85 more.

Maybe it hasn't hit your community yet and for that you should be endlessly thankful.

For many of us, this isn't an abstract - it's our new reality for the foreseeable future.

Bodies being stored in trailers on the street.

Parents who can't be with their children in the hospital.

Hundreds of 911 calls at a time going unanswered.

Our friends, families, students, and communities dying.

I'll be sure to tell everyone here we should jUsT sMiLe.

richardp
04-05-2020, 12:03 AM
People in power can have a sense of humor too. Laughter is the best medicine if ya don't take Every thing to personal.

Do you REALLY fucking think that telling a joke about fucking supermodels was appropriate during a fucking PANDEMIC CRISIS BRIEFING? Jesus Christ, dude, you'll be laughing when you're desperately needing to go on a fuckin' vent but there isn't one because your boy Trump will probably be making more jokes about fucking supermodels instead of making sure the country is taken care of.

Pull your fucking head out of your ass or move onto another board. None of us here have time for this type of garbage.

Erneuert
04-05-2020, 12:39 AM
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/he-only-went-outside-a-couple-of-times-mp-s-father-in-law-dies-from-covid-19-20200405-p54h5f.html

'He only went outside a couple of times': MP's father-in-law dies from COVID-19
Ged Kearney said her father-in-law had done his best to isolate but became sick suddenly, was admitted to hospital and died seven days later.

chuckrh
04-05-2020, 05:20 AM
I post a lot on the Cure (band) Community forum. 1 of my friends there (ninja) is a neurosurgery nurse from Denmark. Ninja just went through pandemic training in case she is needed in that capacity. She wanted to share some material about using mask & gloves so here it is:

PLEASE!!! If you decide to wear gloves, please be careful!!!
You will still contaminate with gloves on, but of course your hands will be (almost) virus free!
Be very carefull when taking the gloves (and if you use masks) off. The risk for getting virus on your hands is extremely high during the process of taking it off, if you don’t know how to do it correct!!!

I’m only using gloves at the hospital, but outside the hospital, I’m not using anything but water, soap and occationally hand sanitizer - if I don’t have access to soap and water!

BUT IF YOU WEAR MASKS AND GLOVES, THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY TO TAKE IT OFF:

First gloves off, then hand sanitize for 10 sec.
Then the mask the following way:
First the upper band. Tie it up as far away from the face as possible and the the same with the lower band.
Hand sanitize again for 10-20 sec.

Every time you use handsanitizer, make sure to use plenty, so your hands are generously covered and pretty wet.
Rub hands until they are totally dry! Don’t let them air dry, but rub!

An ordinary surgical mask will probably not protect enough agains aerosoles, then you need a ffp2 or 3 mask, and you can max use that 3-5 hrs a day, or else they can cause serious lung damages!

COVID 19 is mostly drop born, and will not be in the air for more than a few secs. Then it will fall to the ground, so think that everything from the ground and aprox 20 cm up is “unclean”

In Denmark, at least the part of denmark I’m living in, we have really good statistics alteady.
I went to pandemic training last week, and that was so amazing!
I’m now a group 4, so that means that I’m a part of the last group to participate.
I don’t hope it will be realistic, because we have plenty at my uaual ward, and only one respirator, because the rest are at the pandemic wards.

I hope people will behave during easter, so Denmark can come back to normal again.

theimage13
04-05-2020, 06:10 AM

Try laughing while you're on a ventilator because your lungs are destroyed. Let me know how that goes.

M1ke
04-05-2020, 06:14 AM
That was about the situation not the actual victims man. Sometimes a little smile to break the hell on earth can be ok. Life sucks right now but try to make the best ya can.

When one of your parents dies, I'm going to come to the funeral and tell jokes about fucking your mom.

versusreality
04-05-2020, 06:16 AM
Amazing. One of my 6th grade special ed students lost their grandmother from the virus. A co-worker lost their father. Another, their mother. And yet another their father in law.

But some people think it's ok that the president is making inappropriate comments at this time.
"Well, it's ok to laugh"
I agree. But I don't need the president to provide that entertainment. Plenty of outlets to get laughs. The president is not one.
His "leadership" , however, is laughable.

theimage13
04-05-2020, 06:45 AM
When one of your parents dies, I'm going to come to the funeral and tell jokes about fucking your mom.

And why shouldn't you? It's just locker room talk that EVERY MAN HAS SAID AT SOME POINT after all. Totally appropriate - necessary, even, in these dark times.

chuckrh
04-05-2020, 07:22 AM
Amazing. One of my 6th grade special ed students lost their grandmother from the virus. A co-worker lost their father. Another, their mother. And yet another their father in law.

But some people think it's ok that the president is making inappropriate comments at this time.
"Well, it's ok to laugh"
I agree. But I don't need the president to provide that entertainment. Plenty of outlets to get laughs. The president is not one.
His "leadership" , however, is laughable.

It's the rancid corporate mentality. Before I left my job last summer I was in a meeting where a senior manager said that a major problem (still ongoing) that caused hundreds of deaths was "a speed bump". I found that whole mentality to be poisonous & it was a small factor in me deciding it was time to leave, with health being the major one. In many segments of the capitalist society the corporation has surpassed people as the main priority. It was surreal to watch lower level management worship upper management like they were rock stars or something. These were the same uppers who have seemingly done their best to put the company in the ground. I did not see the logic of having the people who caused the problem be put in charge of fixing it. All in service of the stock price. It's just wrong in my view & is a major factor in the dysfunction with the response to the current world crisis. Just my opinion but that is coming a former ghost in the machine.

theimage13
04-05-2020, 08:51 AM
If your church leader doesn’t voluntarily shut down in-person services, I feel pretty comfy suggesting that he/she/they are impaired, monstrous, amoral, or some combination of the three.

I feel there's another option: cornered / desperate.

For some people, their faith is literally the ONLY thing they know how to turn to for coping. Think about it - whenever some little kid gets murdered or accidentally shot in the head by their clueless gun nut parent or something like that - there are always those who think "God has his reason". They have NO idea how to process bad news without turning to their faith. They would be utterly lost, possibly to the point of being manic or suicidal, without it. This is, to me, one of the biggest dangers of basing your entire life around faith. It's one thing to believe in something; it's another entirely to sculpt your whole world around it.

I mean, replace "church" with "money". What would YOU do if someone came along and said "we're taking all of your money, effective immediately" - but wait, there is still this place around the corner where you could get more of it. That's the level of need that some people have for their faith - and not just their faith, but their ability to connect to it as closely as they've ever learned - i.e., in a church.

All that said, I do firmly believe that all churches need to be shuttered until the virus' spread has slowed. For those who would struggle without them, I can only hope that they are able to adjust their practices and continue to find comfort in their faith while safely at home.

sweeterthan
04-05-2020, 09:03 AM
What is happening in this thread?
- Reznor singing about fucking or assault isn’t the same as an elected official bragging about assaulting women.
-this is drift. We have a thread for sex assault
https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4727-Sexual-Asshatery-in-the-News

BRoswell
04-05-2020, 09:13 AM
Considering how many churches are doing virtual services now, it seems like its more about ego and thumbing their nose at the government than about worshiping their god.

bryan_NIN65
04-05-2020, 09:52 AM

Death is part of life and it will go on. It's very possible my mom is dying of cancer and your more than welcome to come lighten the mood.

bryan_NIN65
04-05-2020, 09:54 AM
Try laughing while you're on a ventilator because your lungs are destroyed. Let me know how that goes.

I've had clolapsed lung, brain surgery, a shunt, you name it man. When it's my time, it's my time.

All you guys are fucked in the head sporting all your hate. It is ok to smile and feel good and enjoy life.

Sarah K
04-05-2020, 10:01 AM
https://media.tenor.com/images/13f030ad2ff9f14debfcbe19ff5d1656/tenor.gif

bryan_NIN65
04-05-2020, 10:01 AM
And why shouldn't you? It's just locker room talk that EVERY MAN HAS SAID AT SOME POINT after all. Totally appropriate - necessary, even, in these dark times.
She would cool with, humor can help you process hard to handle situations. I've got pleantly of joke about my mom.

sweeterthan
04-05-2020, 10:06 AM
She would cool with, humor can help you process hard to handle situations. I've got pleantly of joke about my mom.

It sounds like you are dealing with a lot. We have threads for personal topics in the speak your mind forum.

Please try to stick to the topic of COVID-19 while posting in this thread.

theimage13
04-05-2020, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I don't believe that's a valid argument. That's not how faith works.

Not to you it's not. To others, it is. I've gone on island vacations with people who would literally leave the island, go ashore, and find the nearest church on Sunday because they HAD to be at a house of worship. Even when they're living the good life and had everything you could possibly ask for, they HAD to get to a church. Couldn't take a single Sunday off and just enjoy a beautiful lake, time with family, and spend a few minutes of private worship somewhere on the island. I can't imagine how much that need to attend mass would be intensified in times of crisis if that's how they operate in times of plenty.

And church leaders are people too - they're just as likely (if not more so) to be completely tied to the church as their parishioners. There's no magical difference between the two. They can be just as desperately in need of their building to remain open as those who come to hear them speak.

Again, I'm not defending them and I'm not for a second suggesting that churches SHOULD remain open, because they shouldn't. But just because we're able to see the physical location of worship as optional, that doesn't mean everyone else sees it the same way.

BRoswell
04-05-2020, 10:12 AM
U.S. 'wasted' months before preparing for virus pandemic (https://apnews.com/090600c299a8cf07f5b44d92534856bc)

katara
04-05-2020, 10:53 AM
Is tooting a symptom of the rona?
What is this, a Junji Ito body horror story come to life? Next thing we know, sharks will be walking on land on mechanical legs tearing shit up.

chuckrh
04-05-2020, 11:23 AM
in another sign of the apocalypse, grocery stores in Seattle have banned reusable shopping bags & in some cases have started to use plastic shopping bags. oh the humanity!!!!!

allegro
04-05-2020, 11:35 AM
If your church leader doesn’t voluntarily shut down in-person services, I feel pretty comfy suggesting that he/she/they are impaired, monstrous, amoral, or some combination of the three.
Every fairly “religious” person I know is attending virtual “church” right now, and saying they love it. My Catholic relatives are watching Mass on TV on Sunday mornings (which the Pope has recommended for months), which have been on TV for nearly 50 years (Mass for Shut-Ins). The Pope will be conducting Palm Sunday and Easter Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica without an audience, but each will be televised.

So, yeah, the only ones left still demanding their flock appear in person surely have greed as their motive.

WorzelG
04-05-2020, 11:43 AM
in another sign of the apocalypse, grocery stores in Seattle have banned reusable shopping bags & in some cases have started to use plastic shopping bags. oh the humanity!!!!!
I don’t get this though, as long as you use your own reusable bag and no one else touches it I don’t see the problem ?

allegro
04-05-2020, 11:49 AM
I don’t get this though, as long as you use your own reusable bag and no one else touches it I don’t see the problem ?
The baggers would then have to touch your cloth bag. And the virus can live on cloth for 24-48 hours.

Stores aren’t even processing returns right now. At all.

Goodwill and Salvation Army locations totally closed down and are not accepting donations.

Starbucks isn’t allowing you to use your re-usable cup.

Everything is single-use.

M1ke
04-05-2020, 12:02 PM
The grocery stores in my area have stopped bagging groceries for people. They've also erected plastic barriers between the cashiers and the customers. Everybody understands it right now.

They're still allowing the reusable bags where I am, but you have to bag it yourself.

richardp
04-05-2020, 12:39 PM

Man, KC banned reusable bags like 2 weeks ago. I've seen so many people here happily voluntarily bagging their own groceries too. Sometimes that midwest hospitality works out really well.

versusreality
04-05-2020, 12:59 PM
very interesting discussion about baggers. there haven't been any of those type of jobs around here in years. makes me wonder too after this...what jobs will be eliminated? the sad thing is there are companies right now plotting about this.

WorzelG
04-05-2020, 01:23 PM
The baggers would then have to touch your cloth bag. And the virus can live on cloth for 24-48 hours.

Stores aren’t even processing returns right now. At all.

Goodwill and Salvation Army locations totally closed down and are not accepting donations.

Starbucks isn’t allowing you to use your re-usable cup.

Everything is single-use.
clearly a difference between countries then. Although staff ask if you want them to help with bagging, people generally do it themselves. I have never had anyone bag my groceries for me. Actually now I come to think of it, no one is offering to do bagging right now, makes sense

sweeterthan
04-05-2020, 01:25 PM
Are you all wearing masks when you go to the store now? I knew my husband was going to the store today so I made him one to wear.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200405/2add931c3ff4f5e86ae961d73e7baa04.jpg

Here’s the tutorial I used:

http://blog.japanesecreations.com/how-to-sew-a-simple-fabric-face-mask

marodi
04-05-2020, 01:33 PM
Are you all wearing masks when you go to the store now? I knew my husband was going to the store today so I made him one to wear.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200405/2add931c3ff4f5e86ae961d73e7baa04.jpg

Here’s the tutorial I used:

http://blog.japanesecreations.com/how-to-sew-a-simple-fabric-face-mask

Your husband is Bucky Barnes aka the Winter Soldier? ��

New empty section at my local store: dry cat food. I did not see that one coming.

allegro
04-05-2020, 01:40 PM
very interesting discussion about baggers. there haven't been any of those type of jobs around here in years. makes me wonder too after this...what jobs will be eliminated? the sad thing is there are companies right now plotting about this.

We not only have baggers in our area, the baggers ask if you want help taking the stuff TO YOUR CAR. And lots of customers take them up on that. This was sparked by competition that did that. It’s not just about competitive prices around here, it’s also about service. The customers tip, too.

Our baggers are still around in the supermarkets, that hasn’t changed. They are also the ones outside collecting the carts. Lots of them eventually move up to cashier positions.

allegro
04-05-2020, 01:45 PM
It’s become totally “normal” in the last few weeks in the Chicago area. You look more unusual if you’re NOT wearing a mask.

It kinda reminds me of helmets with skiing and snowboarding. At first, it was like most balked at it. Then I hit my head, and had a slight concussion so I got one and found they’re actually WARMER as well as safer. Then Natasha Richardson died. Then all Vail resort employees were REQUIRED to wear helmets. Now, you look around and people kinda look HORRIFIED at people who aren’t wearing helmets, like OH MY GOD!!

Jinsai
04-05-2020, 01:47 PM
as the numbers are marching up, I'm really starting to feel the need to get some masks. I've got the gloves under control, but I can't find masks anywhere.

sweeterthan
04-05-2020, 01:50 PM
as the numbers are marching up, I'm really starting to feel the need to get some masks. I've got the gloves under control, but I can't find masks anywhere.

I looked for masked on amazon and it was saying late April to May for shipping. I hand sewed two masks in about 2 and a half hours.

allegro
04-05-2020, 01:51 PM
sweeterthan, I can sew and have a nice sewing machine, but I cannot find any form of elastic to save my life! There’s now a friggin’ elastic shortage! Ugh.

Jinsai - if you have a bandana or a kerchief, you can fold it lengthwise so that it will fit comfortably over your nose and mouth (fold it, then again to double it) and then locate two hair bands. Fasten each hair band around the bandana about 1/3 way on each side. Put the bandana around your nose and mouth, and tuck each end in back through the hair bands.

sweeterthan
04-05-2020, 01:52 PM
sweeterthan, I can sew and have a nice sewing machine, but I cannot find any form of elastic to save my life! There’s now a friggin’ elastic shortage! Ugh.

I’m using hosiery for the elastic part. I was surprised that I even have any because I never wear hose but I had some knee high ones in the back of my sock drawer that work great.

allegro
04-05-2020, 02:00 PM
That’s not fair; I know how this works. Hey, retailers: Start demanding your distributor carry paper bags with handles.
Our Jewel supermarkets (Safeway) paper bags all have handles. Even our cheap Whole Foods paper bags have handles.

If we didn’t have baggers, those people would be out of work. Besides collecting carts or taking groceries to cars, it’s their only job. I think they might be able to take time off, but there is no other job for them. This is it. It’s a union job, too, with upward mobility.

I’m using hosiery for the elastic part. I was surprised that I even have any because I never wear hose but I had some knee high ones in the back of my sock drawer that work great.
OH MY GOD, THAT’S A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!! You can SEW them???

Jinsai see this: https://abc7chicago.com/how-to-make-mask-face-masks-n95/6071155

ziltoid
04-05-2020, 02:02 PM
The two times I’ve been to the grocer since the fourteenth, I’ve told my cashier that my reusable bags were laundered just before I headed out and both times the cashier got visibly emotional while saying thanks, which kinda makes me think that most people are rather obviously not doing them this courtesy. Why they haven’t put handles on the paper bags they’re still allowed to stock is beyond me; I know handleless paper can be hard for a lot of people to manage. Though I totally support the decision to ban plastic bags, right now, single use is probably a good thing, and the handleless paper bags are probably not an option for mass transit users, walkers, the infirm, and so forth.

Sorry, all life in the ocean.

Hey, retailers: Put some fucking handles on your paper bags. Pretty please.

EDIT: That’s not fair; I know how this works. Hey, retailers: Start demanding your distributor carry paper bags with handles.

Couldn't you just place the items that are in the paper bag or the full paper bag into your own reusable bag with handles?

Also I have yet to try it but I might start using curb side pickup for groceries from now on since many places I've been in NC the people don't really respect the 6 feet rule. As an observation I've noticed that mostly it is, and I hate to use this word, the yuppies that don't give a shit about staying 6 feet apart. The elderly and the young and store employees adhere to the 6 feet rule.

sweeterthan
04-05-2020, 02:14 PM
Our Jewel supermarkets (Safeway) paper bags all have handles. Even our cheap Whole Foods paper bags have handles.

If we didn’t have baggers, those people would be out of work. Besides collecting carts or taking groceries to cars, it’s their only job. I think they might be able to take time off, but there is no other job for them. This is it. It’s a union job, too, with upward mobility.

OH MY GOD, THAT’S A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!! You can SEW them???

Jinsai see this: https://abc7chicago.com/how-to-make-mask-face-masks-n95/6071155

No sew. I cut off an inch and then cut the loop and knot it after I put it through the side of the mask. You can see the knot in the pic of my husband.

He wore it at the store. He went to two places and said it was hot towards the end but kept it on. I’m impressed he did it. I feel like the cdc recommending it is enough for us to do it during this time. We’re staying home but covering our faces when we are out. We’re doing all that we can to stop the spread.

Washing the mask today so it’s ready for its next use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarah K
04-05-2020, 02:15 PM
@allegro (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=76), what about using hair ties for the elastic/ear part? I've seen that done somewhere, I just can't remember where now. The hair ties served as the ear loops.

Edit - Never mind. I read the rest of that post. Lol.

allegro
04-05-2020, 02:17 PM
Also I have yet to try it but I might start using curb side pickup for groceries from now on
I wanted to do that but they're behind by like over a week, ugh.

We DO use it for PetSmart, though. It's great. Highly recommended.

We use it for Binny's Beverage Depot. Not really curbside, but you order on the app then you go inside to their "express pickup desk" by the door and your order is ready (they send you a notice) and it's in a box and you pay, so you don't go "shopping" with people. Then we get home and ditch the box in the garage and I disinfect the bottles.

allegro
04-05-2020, 02:18 PM
@allegro (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=76), what about using hair ties for the elastic/ear part? I've seen that done somewhere, I just can't remember where now. The hair ties served as the ear loops.
I tried using them as ear loops but couldn't get it to work, either my hair ties have to be WAY bigger or my ears have to be WAYYY smaller LOL. So, I modified it to be able to just be able to wrap the back of the bandana through itself and that works great.

Edit: wait, I just saw THIS ONE! Not hair bands, RUBBER bands! Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx1yqvJgf4&feature=youtu.be

sweeterthan, I analyzed pic, see what you did, GREAT IDEA! BRILLIANT!!! (p.s. your husband is so cute!)

allegro
04-05-2020, 02:34 PM
This is Chicago area?

The Whole Foods and Trader Joes in the city where I used to live had handled bags. But Wegmans—the non-trash place in the place I live now (and all over New York)—still has the same paper bags they had in 1988. Or at least the ones in the garbage burg in which I live now does. There are cart-wranglers and people who tote out groceries. A lot of them are developmentally challenged; the rest are "first job" kind of young.

I don't think I've ever been to a store that has a separate bagger who isn't the cashier. In fact, my first frame of reference for that notion is Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption, so I'm assuming that's a hard "no, never have I ever." And I definitely don't think our grocery clerks have been allowed to unionize? A friend worked in Wegmans—whose lobbies are all covered in Forbes "Top 100 Places to Work" covers & awards—for twelve years and was never allowed to even exceed 32.5 hours a week for fear she'd qualify for insurance coverage. I know Tops, a different grocer in the place I used to live, fired anyone who even used the word "union."

It is fucking bizarre how regional grocery practices are. When I lived in Ohio, carts were called "buggies" and the cashier thought I was insane when I just stood staring at the groceries she'd piled behind her. I had no idea that it was common practice there to bag your own.

Yes, Chicago area. We have cashiers AND baggers. And they never trade jobs. It's like they have union job descriptions that prevent them from doing each other's jobs.

Sometimes they are short on baggers and we have to help bag our own groceries while the cashier is scanning stuff. But, that's the extent of it. The big stores here have been union forever. The cashiers wear union pins. The big union (UFCW) stores are Safeway (Jewel) and Kroger (Mariano's). Also, I believe Sunset Foods is part of the UFCW.

Wegmans is usually Teamsters (IBT).

Jon
04-05-2020, 02:37 PM
Yes, Chicago area. We have cashiers AND baggers. And they never trade jobs. It's like they have union job descriptions that prevent them from doing each other's jobs.

Sometimes they are short on baggers and we have to help bag our own groceries while the cashier is scanning stuff. But, that's the extent of it. The big stores here have been union forever. The cashiers wear union pins.

Do you have Hy-Vee up there?

allegro
04-05-2020, 02:43 PM
Do you have Hy-Vee up there?

Only WAY far away like in Peoria and Peru; closest is in Sycamore, nowhere near Chicago.

allegro
04-05-2020, 02:45 PM
Damn. Go, Chicago!

What's funny is even at the COSTCO, here, the cashiers put your stuff into your cart. There's no BAGS, but they put your stuff into your cart for you.

I guess we don't know how spoiled we are.

BY UNIONS.

Some of the cashiers at my Jewel are wearing pins showing they've been working for Jewel for more than 25 years. We know many of them like family. Even the baggers.

Safeway and Giant employees were damned close to going on strike in some areas. (http://inthesetimes.com/working/entry/22318/grocery_strike_safeway_giant_stop_shop_UFCW)

zaps30
04-05-2020, 03:00 PM
I actually prefer to bag my own groceries. I know where everything goes (at home) and organize it accordingly. Sometimes they get annoyed when I say I'll bag it.

It's really inconsistent here. Some stores won't let you bring in reusable bags and some will. Today, I left them in the car because of the constant changing and inconsistency. I put my items back in the cart and bagged it at my car with my reusable bags.

The whole early hours thing for seniors / immuno-compromised is inconsistent, too. Some have hours every day, some only certain days, etc. I like to go early to avoid people and am usually in / out quickly. I can't do that at some places now. It puts me at a higher risk lol (not really funny I guess).

Quick story: Trader Joe's here changed the way they were doing early hours last week. They were only letting in the senior / immuno crowd from 9 to 10 AM (weren't doing it that way the week before). A man who appeared to maybe 70 or so (no physical disabilities that were obvious) had a younger person with him (30s if I had to guess). They let the older gentlemen in. The younger guy tries to follow him in, gets stopped, says I'm with him, and they say go ahead. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of special hours? When 10 rolls around and I'm finally able to get in, I felt like saying...so, if I come with my dad next week, you'll let me in early? But, I figured it was better to keep my mouth shut. Oh, and I saw those guys leaving the parking lot while I was still waiting, and the old guy was driving the 30 something guy around.

somewhat_
04-05-2020, 03:29 PM
Apologies if I’ve missed someone posting this already, but people on Etsy are selling masks: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=face%20mask%20

chuckrh
04-05-2020, 03:44 PM
This morning Whole Foods had a security person at the elevator/entrance to ensure that only seniors were getting in during the first hour. I'm not wild about Whole Foods especially since Jeff (Damian) Bezos bought them but they have the best fresh squeezed orange juice around. I can't drink due to interactions with some meds I have to take so I drink good oj instead.

SchwarzerAbt
04-05-2020, 03:52 PM
Wow, I never knew that it is common to not bag your own stuff at the supermarket in some places. That sounds really strange to me. Never seen it in Germany and was only asked maybe once or twice in other european countries. Normally I put my shopping goods straight into my backpack or a reusable bag / foldable box if it is more.

No need to use a disposable bag at all most of the time, except when I occasionally buy more than I planned beforehand. And definitely wouldn't want anyone to handle my backpack for me!

That said, there's usually a lot of space for your goods to accumulate after they were scanned and you don't need to be within close proximity to the cashier. Plus, most shops here were very quick to install plexiglas shields in front of the cashiers to protect their employees from infection.

allegro
04-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Plus, most shops here were very quick to install plexiglas shields in front of the cashiers to protect their employees from infection.

Supermarkets did that here, too, but left the baggers open and unprotected. Ugh. For about a week, the baggers were all wearing masks and gloves. Then, suddenly, they weren't. I think because suddenly ALL THE CUSTOMERS started wearing masks and gloves.

At Target, there's a whole crew that does nothing except disinfect the carts and the credit card pin-pads and scanners at the self-checks.

There was pink tape on the floor at the Jewel supermarkets designating the appropriate distance, but lots of shoppers didn't seem to "get" it.

Now, there are signs on the floor telling you to stand on those signs for safe distance.

My husband and I had to do shopping for us plus for two elderly people at 6 a.m. the other day, so we each had one cart and divided and conquered. We met up at the cashier section, and there was ONE cashier and a line of about 10 people.

I was, like, GREAT, this isn't working to keep us very separated.

Suddenly, a manager type came out, directed a bunch of cashiers to various staggered aisles, and directed customers in line to those stations ... bam bam bam, very quick and efficient, I was impressed.

I believe that we have baggers due to the sheer number of shoppers. If we left it up to customers to bag, we'd be there for way longer. The efficiency and speed of having store-trained baggers is in the interest of getting as many people through that store as possible, with no big lines.

The Jewel by my house is 70,000 square feet. That's 1.60 acres. It has 10 cashier lines and 6 self-check lines. Our cashiers can make $25/hour, and they get full pensions. The baggers work as "assistants" to the cashiers.

There is SO MUCH competition, here, that the focus has shifted to customer service and kissing customers' asses and entertaining them.

The Mariano's stores (Krogers) have wine bars, sushi bars, oyster bars, gelato bars, candy stores, and the one by my Mom has a band or a piano player every Friday night. The baggers at Mariano's wear TIES.

zaps30
04-05-2020, 04:24 PM
As a person who's been in food service, I can tell you that I always want to punch people when they try to pack their own food. I have a job. I do it well. Let me do my fucking job.

Which doesn't quite make sense, sure. Except it does. And, fine, yes, also doesn't.

I get it. I worked at a supermarket for 3 years during undergrad. I was a cashier/bagger for 1 year and then worked in the meat dept for the last 2 years. It bothered me when people said they wanted to bag it, too lol. But now I'm on the other side and get it. I'm the customer, it's food I'm buying, and I know where everything goes. This is only when it's a big shopping trip. It all goes in one bag for small trips usually anyway. The big grocery stores only have a couple people bagging usually. Most of the time there isn't anyone and I do it anyway.

allegro
04-05-2020, 04:34 PM
I wonder if these people will have jobs after this blows over. I imagine that already this short (speaking objectively), month-long debacle has seriously warped people's opinion of what counts as clean in a retail or restaurant space. Just like I have to assume the salt and pepper sitting idly on a restaurant table won't fly with everyone like it used to, I'll bet a lot of people are going to have long-term different expectations when buying foodstuffs. Maybe all the suddenly unemployed cashiers will start working as self-check sterilizers.

I think the cashiers will still be cashiers. I think the sanitizing at the self-checks are being done by the people who were already employed to watch the self-check section; they're the people who were there to help when something went wrong or you couldn't figure something out or a machine ran out of tape. Now, they're there to be sure you are ONLY getting one package of toilet paper, and they're spraying the scanner with disinfectant.

The people spraying the carts are usually the people doing stuff like stocking or helping customers, but now there isn't as much stock or as many customers, so they're giving them other things to do. Target is now limiting the number of customers allowed in the store.

They should have been disinfecting things all along. I'm not quite Monk-level germaphobe but ... ugh.

I think they put the cashier shields in the wrong PLACE at the Jewel stores. Bad design. I think the union had a lot to do with those being installed, here.

SchwarzerAbt
04-05-2020, 04:44 PM
I was actually really surprised by the speed with which they built those shields. It can't have been cheap. And the first thing I wondered was how the risk management rundown went: was it the cost of paying for them vs. the potential lost business from running short-staffed or cost vs. potential creative lawsuits? But perhaps I've become too jaded in my old age.

And the possibility of having to close down if a significant part your team has to go to quarantine because one of the workers is infected. At the least it's bad for your business if it gets known around town that the virus is "inside" your shop. So of course it's not only for the pure love of your employees... ;)

allegro
04-05-2020, 04:48 PM
"inside" your shop.

"Shop" being a quaint term. Here, we have mega-super-huge-stores where one infected person could infect the whole workplace rather quickly but I'm not even sure this megacorporation gives one single fuck about that. Again, I think the union members stepped in and said "we demand protection or we aren't coming to work."

I put myself through undergrad and grad school working at one mid-level restaurant. I was the front of house manager, controlled the inventory, held tastings and taught classes on tequila, and did whatever the hell else was needed—from laying tile to digging up hornets nests—and never made $25 an hour or got a 401K, much less a pension. The people just over the border from me in Pennsylvania still tend bar for $2.83 an hour plus tips (and, lest it need saying, no pension). Even considering cost of living differences, it is insane to think that we all live in the same country as these cashiers.=
It's largely due to the lack of labor unions, but also due to the tip aspects. Which I think just sucks. Sure, if you work at a really high-end restaurant where the average check is $500 you can make a killing but most people aren't doing that. And, when something like THIS happens, how the fuck are you going to claim tips in unemployment? We need to get rid of that tips bullshit and just PAY people a decent wage.

It's important to note that the cashiers who earn that upper range and get a pension are cashiers by career and have worked at it for 20+ years. It's not like they walked in the door and a few years later, they're making $20/hour. They do shift work and work holidays and do it for decades. These are blue collar workers. It’s also important to note that $20/hour in the Chicago area is barely a living wage. And then some new conglomerate comes in and fucks with their pension.

SchwarzerAbt
04-05-2020, 04:51 PM
Target is now limiting the number of customers allowed in the store.

In my city it's a local order that there's only one customer for 20 square meters of store size allowed. To enforce this all shops have now employed security workers who otherwise would have been at clubs/concerts/sports in Hamburg but are now free to stand in front of the supermarket and do this.

versusreality
04-05-2020, 05:22 PM
a week, week and a half ago, you'd see a handful of people wearing masks around here. now, you'd look out of place if you're NOT wearing one. a handful of people aren't wearing them.

Erneuert
04-05-2020, 05:37 PM
People for the most part aren’t even acting concerned down here. Yesterday I’m out driving with blue gloves on and I see families and people out in groups not giving a shit.

zero
04-05-2020, 05:49 PM
People for the most part aren’t even acting concerned down here. Yesterday I’m out driving with blue gloves on and I see families and people out in groups not giving a shit.

If the families already live together it would not really matter if they were out and about together as a group. But perhaps you meant something different. I prefer the purple nitrile gloves myself.

laststepdown
04-05-2020, 06:09 PM
3 months later, my governor just released statewide bullshit till the 24th. We're well past the curve, with a minimum number of cases in our state. Can't even go to a park now.

Now I really see how easy it was for Hitler to get away with whatever.

versusreality
04-05-2020, 06:11 PM
past the curve? or has it even hit yet? if it hasn't, it will.

chuckrh
04-05-2020, 06:18 PM
Boeing announced that the production lines in Seattle are now closed indefinitely. They were supposed to reopen on Wednesday. The bad part is the workers will have to use their PTO (SCAM!) in order to get paid.

halo eighteen
04-05-2020, 06:30 PM
3 months later, my governor just released statewide bullshit till the 24th. We're well past the curve, with a minimum number of cases in our state. Can't even go to a park now.

You're seriously naïve if you think anywhere in the US is past the curve at this point. If anything, you're a good two or three weeks behind the hardest hit places in the country. But sure, go ahead and compare gov't procedures to keep you safe to that of Hitler. You don't need to be going to a park right now.

marodi
04-05-2020, 06:42 PM
Boeing announced that the production lines in Seattle are now closed indefinitely. They were supposed to reopen on Wednesday. The bad part is the workers will have to use their PTO (SCAM!) in order to get paid.

Boeing was hit very hard with the 737 Max grounding and now this. I wonder if they are strong enough to survive it all.

allegro
04-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Boeing was hit very hard with the 737 Max grounding and now this. I wonder if they are strong enough to survive it all.

I think they’re blaming this on Covid-19 and it’s the 737 Max all along.

zero
04-05-2020, 08:44 PM
3 months later, my governor just released statewide bullshit till the 24th. We're well past the curve, with a minimum number of cases in our state. Can't even go to a park now. Now I really see how easy it was for Hitler to get away with whatever.

I understand your frustration. And the frightening similarity of this social upheaval with fascism. But perhaps I can appeal to your patriotism. Would you do whatever it takes to protect your family, and your community, and you country? Now is the time to step up and be brave. Denial is for the weak. Taking decisive action is now mandatory for all with the ability to lead. You have the ability to be a leader. Please join the effort to manage this pandemic. Thank you.

M1ke
04-05-2020, 09:08 PM
A good point someone earlier made about companies already thinking about what they can cut to profit from this when we were talking about baggers. My girlfriend and I were talking about and wondering about what changes would become permanent as a result of covid-19, and lets me honest, it'll be the changes that benefit the people with the most power.

Here in Ontario, we have a conservative government that was already pushing for mandatory online classes before this happened. Right now, the province is accepting it because it's better than the alternative, but I'd imagine that they'll push to try and make that permanent.

The baggers were pretty much gone where I was anyways. If the cashier at the next line wasn't busy, sometimes they'd walk over to help you, but usually you were on your own for bagging. Anywhere that wasn't already the case it's probably on the way.

Most stores are doing curb-side pickup right now as well (order online, pull into the parking lot and call, then they'll put it in your trunk). Packing stores more tightly and treating them like warehouses probably reduces their footprint and reduces theft. That's probably a direction that most already struggling retail stores will move towards.

I do grocery delivery for Instacart on the side, and that's gotten about a billion times busier, that's probably here to stay.

Some governments are tracking citizens movements for quarantine enforcement via cell phones. Not all of them are, but the ones that are will probably keep that around.

The things that are going to stick as far changes after this are the ones that will benefit the already powerful. Not the average person.

chuckrh
04-05-2020, 09:50 PM

There have been other disasters too. The 787 was a black hole of money & same with air force tanker.

allegate
04-05-2020, 10:20 PM

they may as well. some fuckers are blaming the virus on 5G cell towers and are burning them down (https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/4/21207927/5g-towers-burning-uk-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory-link).

Also, wtf at this: Woody Harrelson among stars sharing COVID-19 conspiracy theories tied to 5G (https://nypost.com/2020/04/05/woody-harrelson-sharing-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory-tied-to-5g/)

bobbie solo
04-05-2020, 10:55 PM
I really don't know,

yeah you don't, so shut up.

chuckrh
04-05-2020, 11:21 PM
they may as well. some fuckers are blaming the virus on 5G cell towers and are burning them down (https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/4/21207927/5g-towers-burning-uk-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory-link).

Also, wtf at this: Woody Harrelson among stars sharing COVID-19 conspiracy theories tied to 5G (https://nypost.com/2020/04/05/woody-harrelson-sharing-coronavirus-conspiracy-theory-tied-to-5g/)

Woody was a poster child for just say no.

bryan_NIN65
04-06-2020, 12:20 AM
yeah you don't, so shut up.

Back with more hate, where is the rest if the quote to go with that short likely taken out of context snipit.

I was talking about long term shutdowns to help and what the economy might do and you spit more hate at me. I was saying we might need a 90 day shutdown.

Never seen anything like this bring out the hate in people here, love ya guys and have fun spreading more hate. Remember all this hate started cause of a joke about a super model, but hey what ever makes ya feel better. Love ya guys.

ManBurning
04-06-2020, 01:28 AM

https://scontent.fyvr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/90544954_10157633437364300_283648621004455936_n.jp g?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=1480c5&_nc_oc=AQl0zNkOkAxq6V5HJmHNYdKZbguhZu69AqO7PJ3e_MO kGwenIgFtYGCSHShvuWGmVhU&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=80e63d81b44686575361f16ada35bac7&oe=5EA24DEB

botley
04-06-2020, 02:45 AM
https://i.imgur.com/hwlPNWo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

josephine
04-06-2020, 04:06 AM
People are stupid, much stricter norms are needed :( (http://thecannabisradar.com)

allegro
04-06-2020, 04:28 AM
There was a Trump lady on Facebook the other day insisting that the Naval medical ships are really just storing nuclear waste from submarines.

katara
04-06-2020, 04:32 AM
Ah, Godwin's Law. Old buddy, old pal. Always late to the party, never failing to show up.

allegro
04-06-2020, 04:47 AM
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/pathogen_resistance.png

theimage13
04-06-2020, 06:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFbYtVkFDcE

zaps30
04-06-2020, 07:18 AM
Lots of pasta? So, we're all gonna get fat(ter)? That's the real conspiracy! Makes us fatter than ever so we can't fight off an invading country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E96CfPLkPU
(Porkins starts at 1 minute)

fillow
04-06-2020, 08:24 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/NolanBatmanMemes/comments/fqusf3/boris_johnsons_conference_meeting_looks_oddly/
^^
The top comment thread here is a goldmine.

theimage13
04-06-2020, 08:40 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/NolanBatmanMemes/comments/fqusf3/boris_johnsons_conference_meeting_looks_oddly/
^^
The top comment thread here is a goldmine.

All right, for those of us who don't know anything about pop culture - what's the joke?

allegate
04-06-2020, 09:56 AM
https://scontent.fyvr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/90544954_10157633437364300_283648621004455936_n.jp g?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=1480c5&_nc_oc=AQl0zNkOkAxq6V5HJmHNYdKZbguhZu69AqO7PJ3e_MO kGwenIgFtYGCSHShvuWGmVhU&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=80e63d81b44686575361f16ada35bac7&oe=5EA24DEB

I legit need a jump to conclusions walk-through on this one. what is the end game of that nonsense?

Jinsai
04-06-2020, 09:59 AM

Yeah, this is a lot like Hitler and stuff. GTFO

All right, for those of us who don't know anything about pop culture - what's the joke?

It looks like a scene from The Dark Knight.

mfte
04-06-2020, 11:22 AM
I legit need a jump to conclusions walk-through on this one. what is the end game of that nonsense?

One world currency, one world gov't, mark of the beast, coming of the anti-Christ, etc, etc....

M1ke
04-06-2020, 11:25 AM

I'm still thinking this might just be a government hoax to get us all inside for a while so that they can change the batteries in the birds.

Archive_Reports
04-06-2020, 11:25 AM
One world currency, one world gov't, mark of the beast, coming of the anti-Christ, etc, etc....

But the good news is we'll finally be rid of that pesky convid.

theimage13
04-06-2020, 11:45 AM
I'm still thinking this might just be a government hoax to get us all inside for a while so that they can change the batteries in the birds.

https://meme.xyz/uploads/posts/t/l-53041-dont-let-the-government-fool-you-with-this-quarantine-they-only-want-you-to-stay-home-so-they-can-change-the-batteries-in-the-birds.jpg

theimage13
04-06-2020, 11:48 AM

My first guess is troll.

Second guess is a paranoid disorder (I mean a legitimate, diagnosable, severe disorder).

Third guess is product of the New Mexico public school system.

versusreality
04-06-2020, 11:55 AM
sobering (and unsurprising) news...Coronavirus deaths are being under reported in America:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/podcasts/daily-202-big-idea/coronavirus-deaths-are-being-underreported-in-america/

Jinsai
04-06-2020, 11:55 AM
My first guess is troll.

Second guess is a paranoid disorder (I mean a legitimate, diagnosable, severe disorder).

Third guess is product of the New Mexico public school system.

A former friend of mine seemed like a normal enough person until I friended him on Facebook... and suddenly on his feed, everyone is a crisis actor, everything is an inside job, trust no one, ISIS are actually US actors, nothing is real, Alex Jones is a psyop to trick us into thinking conspiracy theories are far fetched.... It was legitimately disturbing.

allegate
04-06-2020, 12:01 PM
A former friend of mine seemed like a normal enough person until I friended him on Facebook... and suddenly on his feed, everyone is a crisis actor, everything is an inside job, trust no one, ISIS are actually US actors, nothing is real, Alex Jones is a psyop to trick us into thinking conspiracy theories are far fetched.... It was legitimately disturbing.
https://media1.tenor.com/images/58dc58ff1181627c317697db1adfc432/tenor.gif?itemid=7618950

laststepdown
04-06-2020, 12:08 PM
GTFO

What's with your negativity towards others? This is a forum, not your Facebook wall.

until I friended him on Facebook... It was legitimately disturbing.

Oh wait

You're a facebook active, right.

Magnetic
04-06-2020, 12:21 PM
He recovered from the coronavirus and now his plasma donation could save the lives of othershttps://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/us/plasma-donor-coronavirus/index.html

versusreality
04-06-2020, 12:29 PM
sad...

new york may have to bury victims in public parks
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/06/new-york-city-weighs-temporary-burials-as-coronavirus-deaths-overwhelm-mortuary-system.html

allegro
04-06-2020, 12:37 PM
sad...

new york may have to bury victims in public parks
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/06/new-york-city-weighs-temporary-burials-as-coronavirus-deaths-overwhelm-mortuary-system.html

This is a really bad idea. Disinterment isn't as easy or seamless as he thinks.

allegro
04-06-2020, 12:41 PM

I dunno, I had to Google it. https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-conspiracy-5g-masts-fire-2020-4#according-to-uk-fact-checking-website-full-fact-a-version-of-the-theory-appeared-on-facebook-by-late-january-1

Meanwhile, Trump and his administration are telling people to trust them and go eat a drug that's meant for Lupus and Malaria, since the administration just bought up a huge stockpile (https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-conspiracy-5g-masts-fire-2020-4), even though the Trump expert physicians are saying the science has yet to determine that said drug is a good idea. And now people with Lupus are having a hard time getting their drug.

See also:

Microwaves cause cancer
Midgets have night vision
Cats suck the breath out of babies at night
The change of weather gives you a cold
Sitting too close to the TV makes you go blind

Archive_Reports
04-06-2020, 01:22 PM
I dunno, I had to Google it. https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-conspiracy-5g-masts-fire-2020-4#according-to-uk-fact-checking-website-full-fact-a-version-of-the-theory-appeared-on-facebook-by-late-january-1

Meanwhile, Trump and his administration are telling people to trust them and go eat a drug that's meant for Lupus and Malaria, since the administration just bought up a huge stockpile (https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-conspiracy-5g-masts-fire-2020-4), even though the Trump expert physicians are saying the science has yet to determine that said drug is a good idea. And now people with Lupus are having a hard time getting their drug.

See also:

Microwaves cause cancer
Cats suck the breath out of babies at night
The change of weather gives you a cold
Sitting too close to the TV makes you go blind

Audibly laughed startling my co-worker, who is a no longer sleeping cat.

theimage13
04-06-2020, 01:24 PM

Better make sure that cat doesn't go sucking the breath out of any babies at night. I hear that's a thing.

allegro
04-06-2020, 01:38 PM

You think I'm kidding? (https://www.google.com/search?q=midgets+night+vision&oq=midgets+night+vision&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61.3930j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

paul_is_dead
04-06-2020, 02:16 PM
Boris Johnson is now in intensive care.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/1247240606243586053

Jinsai
04-06-2020, 02:18 PM
What's with your negativity towards others? This is a forum, not your Facebook wall.

Oh wait

You're a facebook active, right.

Look, you're not a very smart person. Stop talking. Comparing public health measures to gestapo tactics isn't helpful. Just shut the fuck up. Thanks.

Archive_Reports
04-06-2020, 02:20 PM
You think I'm kidding? (https://www.google.com/search?q=midgets+night+vision&oq=midgets+night+vision&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61.3930j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

Sadly I did not.

Jon
04-06-2020, 02:28 PM
Sadly I did not.

Dungeons & Dragons is serious business. Everyone knows dwarves and gnomes are born with darkvision.

elevenism
04-06-2020, 04:38 PM
Dungeons & Dragons is serious business. Everyone knows dwarves and gnomes are born with darkvision.absolutely.

Furthermore, everyone knows that cats are in league with the devil, as declared by Pope Gregory IX.

elevenism
04-06-2020, 04:47 PM
sobering (and unsurprising) news...Coronavirus deaths are being under reported in America:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/podcasts/daily-202-big-idea/coronavirus-deaths-are-being-underreported-in-america/sorry for double post.

Cases are being underreported, too, and in my area, no less. My Dr and his nurse were discussing the 3 positive tests out of the 6 performed, at the tiny hospital/clinic in Boise City, OK, where I went on last week to get my suboxone and labwork.
But the news is still reporting no cases in that county.

There are AT LEAST 3. I'm assuming they're trying to keep people from panicking?

versusreality
04-06-2020, 05:08 PM
^ yes, and I'm also thinking they don't want the stock market to crash.

elevenism
04-06-2020, 05:23 PM
Holy god. Trump just said that the reason we APPEAR to have so many cases in the U.S. is that our testing program has been so great, and that other highly affected countries would have more cases than us, if they had done as good of a job as HE did , in terms of testing, or something to that effect.

I just...I just can't.

This is coming from a man who was calling the whole thing a hoax, while SK was testing 15,000 people a day. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong here.

Magnetic
04-06-2020, 05:27 PM
https://gph.is/g/4zVkBvj

Insanity has driven me to only communicate in gifs.

marodi
04-06-2020, 05:41 PM
Masturbation makes you go blind

Fixed that for you. And don't forget that bubble gum is full of spider eggs.

Elderly people in palliative care afraid of dying alone is breaking my heart.

botley
04-06-2020, 06:23 PM
So in news that's backed by experimental data, masks do nothing (https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2764367/effectiveness-surgical-cotton-masks-blocking-sars-cov-2-controlled-comparison) (unless they're N95) to stop transmission.

sweeterthan
04-06-2020, 06:56 PM
I was just reading that too. I see what they’re saying that the particles are small enough to travel thru non n95 masks. But there are a bunch of studies that say something is better than nothing. It’s believed that the countries that slowed the spread had populations wearing masks but they were also doing social distancing and school closings.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/609283/

ETA a few weeks ago they were saying masks don’t work. The cdc only this weekend said wearing one could be preventative.

Jinsai
04-06-2020, 07:26 PM
I was standing there at the market noticing that I could still clearly smell things while wearing my "mask" covering thing... I don't believe it protects from anything except from me directly touching my face and infecting myself. Trying more and more to limit the need to leave the house and go to the store until the apex is over.

allegro
04-06-2020, 07:42 PM
So in news that's backed by experimental data, masks do nothing (https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2764367/effectiveness-surgical-cotton-masks-blocking-sars-cov-2-controlled-comparison) (unless they're N95) to stop transmission.

That's coughing. I believe the homemade masks are to prevent transmitting it via exhaling (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2). It's an added layer, in addition to distance and all of the other measures. You're supposed to be quarantining if you have symptoms (particularly coughing and sneezing). A lot of the studies regarding masks involve coughing into surgical mask or cotton masks that pushes the viral load so high that it deems the mask dangerous.

Even if you have an N95, healthcare providers can't wear it for more than a set number of hours, because they are bad for lungs AND their efficacy is reduced against the prevention of Covid-19 (viral load). The N95s are really good at not letting the viral load get too high because of the composition of the material.

If I had a HazMat suit, I'd be wearing it.

I was standing there at the market noticing that I could still clearly smell things while wearing my "mask"
I have (very used) N95s and you can smell things. I've sanded stuff with them, and waxed my boat. Still smelled the boat wax. It may also be because I don't have a tight enough seal. Being fitted properly with an N95 is just as important if not more important. When sanding or waxing, not so much.

My Mom lives in an elevator building and people are being pretty cool about respecting distances. Nobody is sharing an elevator. We each wait and stand really far away from each other and take turns with only one person in the elevator at a time. We send the elevator back down the lobby when we're done. Everybody is friendly. I kind of expected people to be short-tempered or maybe some assholes, but so far people have been really nice to each other.

laststepdown
04-06-2020, 08:09 PM
I remember my first time figuring out how a respirator worked.

botley
04-06-2020, 08:48 PM
I was just reading that too. I see what they’re saying that the particles are small enough to travel thru non n95 masks. But there are a bunch of studies that say something is better than nothing. It’s believed that the countries that slowed the spread had populations wearing masks but they were also doing social distancing and school closings.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/609283/

ETA a few weeks ago they were saying masks don’t work. The cdc only this weekend said wearing one could be preventative.

Could be, but no evidence backs that up yet with this particular virus. Distancing and hand washing is proven to work.

allegro
04-06-2020, 09:12 PM
Could be, but no evidence backs that up yet with this particular virus. Distancing and hand washing is proven to work.

Aren't they saying that there are studies (see above) showing that all three work together? Distancing, hand-washing plus masks? With the caveat that if you're symptomatic, you should just stay the fuck at home and quarantine? Because sneezing can travel 27 FEET (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/30/coronavirus-social-distancing-mit-researcher-lydia-bourouiba-27-feet/5091526002/).

chuckrh
04-06-2020, 09:38 PM
Aren't they saying that there are studies (see above) showing that all three work together? Distancing, hand-washing plus masks? With the caveat that if you're symptomatic, you should just stay the fuck at home and quarantine? Because sneezing can travel 27 FEET (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/30/coronavirus-social-distancing-mit-researcher-lydia-bourouiba-27-feet/5091526002/).

A complicating factor now is where I live, allergy season has kicked into overdrive. My sinuses are freaked out from the tree pollen. So I cough once in awhile. I have no fever though. I have been checked by a doctor & had the test. No virus. I do a wear a mask when out which isn't often.

allegro
04-06-2020, 09:51 PM
I hear ya, Chuck. My allergies are in high gear!

(My nose itches incessantly.)

versusreality
04-06-2020, 10:14 PM
A sign from a liquor store in Detriot lol!
https://twitter.com/DetroitCSC/status/1247348852581113856/photo/1

Magnetic
04-06-2020, 10:17 PM
When I lived in the UK, I only took certirizine...when I moved back to the US, that crap wasn't working. My doctor suggested Levocetirizine, which is a modification - worked like a charm. I'd never heard of levocetirizine in the Uk. I had suffered through Allegra for a month before asking my doctor.
Or as referenced in the first 48s here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrHOLidj3iA

allegro
04-06-2020, 10:28 PM
A sign from a liquor store in Detriot lol!
https://twitter.com/DetroitCSC/status/1247348852581113856/photo/1

In Detroit they’re called “party stores.” lol my hometown ain’t playing

allegate
04-06-2020, 10:31 PM
A complicating factor now is where I live, allergy season has kicked into overdrive. My sinuses are freaked out from the tree pollen. So I cough once in awhile. I have no fever though. I have been checked by a doctor & had the test. No virus. I do a wear a mask when out which isn't often.

exactly this! we're in prime don't-touch-your-face time right now and my eyes itch so bad. SO bad. I itch them in the shower - soap abounds, right? - and I soak my face in ice cold water.

double feature there for the mammalian reflex thing, yeah.

bobbie solo
04-07-2020, 02:33 AM
Boris Johnson is now in intensive care.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/1247240606243586053

See? There are some positives to this whole thing. Bright side people!

chuckrh
04-07-2020, 03:36 AM
Geez. On the one hand, I can’t help but have the same gut reaction. Dude’s an imbecile at best. At best. On the other, if (when) someone said this about Obama, had it been him in office at the time, or if (when) someone starts citing the racial disparity of COVID deaths in America as a bright side, I’d be pretty fucking furious and disgusted.

I may just be getting old and soft, but I think I may come down on the side of suggesting humanity try its best to keep it classy at the moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNjs3gRqGL8

chuckrh
04-07-2020, 05:33 AM
God help us, this is all we need. Trump being advised by Vince McMahon.

http://sportspressnw.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Donald-Trump-Vince-McMahon-590x387.png

allegro
04-07-2020, 05:41 AM
When I lived in the UK, I only took certirizine...when I moved back to the US, that crap wasn't working. My doctor suggested Levocetirizine, which is a modification - worked like a charm.
I had to Google it. Xyzal? I’ve never seen it anywhere. When Allegra stopped working as well, they bumped me to the bigger Kahuna: Xyrtec. Then they start adding Rx nose sprays. Yuck. I’m now back down to Allegra plus nose sprays.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. (Actually, mine are 365 but this season is the worst.)

They’re publishing “How to tell the difference between Covid-19 and allergies” all over the place.

Magnetic
04-07-2020, 06:34 AM
I had to Google it. Xyzal? I’ve never seen it anywhere. When Allegra stopped working as well, they bumped me to the bigger Kahuna: Xyrtec. Then they start adding Rx nose sprays. Yuck. I’m now back down to Allegra plus nose sprays.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. (Actually, mine are 365 but this season is the worst.)

They’re publishing “How to tell the difference between Covid-19 and allergies” all over the place.

Xyrtec = cetirizine.
If that isn't working, I would suggest Xyzal (levocetirizine) over Allegra. Xyzal is chemically identical to Xyrtex, but just the mirror image of it.
It's on the shelf, but hasn't been widely advertised at all. It has been a game changer for me.

allegro
04-07-2020, 08:29 AM
Xyrtec = cetirizine.
If that isn't working, I would suggest Xyzal (levocetirizine) over Allegra. Xyzal is chemically identical to Xyrtex, but just the mirror image of it.
It's on the shelf, but hasn't been widely advertised at all. It has been a game changer for me.
Did Zyrtec, for years. There has been some evidence of drugs that make you tired (Benedryl, Zyrtec) making post-nasal drip worse. I had a sore throat pretty much all the time, then tonsillitis, from p-n drip. I got tonsillitis just as the stay-at-home order started, and I didn’t want to start the whole doctor-trips thing, PLUS I have asthma, so I started back up on the Allegra (being cooped up with dust mites and cat dander is not helping), plus I got religious with my Flonase (TWICE / day per Rx). I have Rx Azelastine (worst tasting stuff ever) and if it’s REALLY bad I have Rx Ipratroprium Bromide (also tastes terrible).

The tonsil inflammation went away within 4 days of being back on the Allegra and serious Flonase. It also stopped my sleeping all day, which is a hallmark sign of my allergies hitting a high point. While I was in college in the winter, I’d go out to my car and sleep in my damned car. A cop woke me up, once, because a neighbor thought I was dead. My doc said it’s just a hallmark symptom of my allergies.

halo eighteen
04-07-2020, 08:34 AM
Xyrtec = cetirizine.

Yeah, xyzal in conjunction with allergy shots has finally gotten my body to stop from feeling like it's trying to escape itself. Might not be the cheapest thing out there, but Rite-Aid here usually has some kind of a discount on the 80-count box.

allegro
04-07-2020, 09:37 AM
Yeah, xyzal in conjunction with allergy shots has finally gotten my body to stop from feeling like it's trying to escape itself. Might not be the cheapest thing out there, but Rite-Aid here usually has some kind of a discount on the 80-count box.

I was getting generic cetirizine on Amazon for really cheap. I can’t get generic fexofenadine (Allegra) for nearly as cheap, which is surprising. Generic Flonase is still so expensive, some stores are locking it up. I looked up levocetirizine at Walgreens and wow, yeah, that’s pretty expensive, too.

Chris Cuomo is really sick with Covid-19 right now and his wife says that his first days were “allergy like symptoms” so it’s no wonder so many news reports are going out on how and when to know the difference.

tony.parente
04-07-2020, 09:49 AM
God help us, this is all we need. Trump being advised by Vince McMahon.

http://sportspressnw.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Donald-Trump-Vince-McMahon-590x387.png
Maybe this whole covid-19 is actually a work?

allegate
04-07-2020, 10:17 AM
Geez. On the one hand, I can’t help but have the same gut reaction. Dude’s an imbecile at best. At best. On the other, if (when) someone said this about Obama, had it been him in office at the time, or if (when) someone starts citing the racial disparity of COVID deaths in America as a bright side, I’d be pretty fucking furious and disgusted.

I may just be getting old and soft, but I think I may come down on the side of suggesting humanity try its best to keep it classy at the moment?
much like when Scalia finally let go his (extremely twisted) mortal coil, I do not have joy in my heart at this but hope instead*. I hope that the care he receives will be well-received and he'll come out on the other side with a better appreciation of what it's like to worry about something for once.

*McConnell fucked that hope six ways from Sunday so I will not have these same feelings if he has an issue with C-19. I have limits to my hope, I am human after all. ;)

thelastdisciple
04-07-2020, 01:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX8wzs86ino

So this is what Canadian Tire's been up to. Disgusting!

marodi
04-07-2020, 01:11 PM
^^^
Let's shame these mofo until they donate everything to health care workers!

Erneuert
04-07-2020, 04:09 PM
This reminded me of that Treehouse of Horror Simpsons episode where Moe chases one of the green aliens with a board with a nail in it. What’s wrong with people.

https://news.sky.com/story/man-attacks-police-and-dog-after-being-asked-if-journey-essential-during-coronavirus-lockdown-11969823

A man attacked three police officers and a police dog after being asked if his journey was essential during the coronavirus lockdown - in what has been called a "truly horrifying" incident.
Nelson Nelson, 29, struck the canine several times with a plank of wood with nails in it during the "violent rampage" on Saturday.

allegate
04-07-2020, 05:33 PM
his name is Nelson...Nelson?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtBdmR5CIAAYKH3.jpg

Erneuert
04-07-2020, 09:10 PM
his name is Nelson...Nelson?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtBdmR5CIAAYKH3.jpg

I know, right? Plus the Nelson Muntz connection.

Meanwhile, this video scared the living shit out of me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVp2U2p4lmE (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OVp2U2p4lmE)

Magnetic
04-07-2020, 09:23 PM
I want Trump's head on a pike.

bobbie solo
04-07-2020, 09:56 PM

Take a number bub.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0d/88/78/0d8878153f42311f1e5a017fbbb16c73.jpg

bobbie solo
04-07-2020, 09:58 PM

I hear you & of course you're right. But I'm tired of our side maintaining our humanity & keeping it classy. How's that been working out for us?

Erneuert
04-08-2020, 05:48 AM

Why? Because he has a financial stake (https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/4/7/21211872/trump-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-covid19-drugs-sanofi-owns) in hydroxychloroquine and makes comments such as “what have you got to lose”? Well, your heart could stop by taking it, for one. You have your life to lose.

theimage13
04-08-2020, 06:24 AM
Why? Because he has a financial stake (https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/4/7/21211872/trump-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-covid19-drugs-sanofi-owns) in hydroxychloroquine

Did you even read that article, or just the headline? It's literally pointing out that it's almost certainly not the reason he's promoting the drug, as it would be a woefully inefficient way to make any money whatsoever.

Look, I hate the orange man as much as the next guy. But the financial stake article is about him having somewhere between $100-1,500 in it as part of a larger fund (talks about other possible exposure is speculation). I've got a bigger fucking stake than that in several companies, and I am by no measurable statistic "wealthy".

All this said, I still think it's fucking stupid that he keeps pushing it publicly, because it's doing notable harm to people who actually need the drug right now. If he has good reason to suspect it might be useful, have research and testing fast-tracked, but do it quietly and then release information as it becomes relevant.

Erneuert
04-08-2020, 06:51 AM
Did you even read that article, or just the headline? It's literally pointing out that it's almost certainly not the reason he's promoting the drug, as it would be a woefully inefficient way to make any money whatsoever.

When I took a crap this morning the first article I read was about his stake in it. Fast forward a few hours later after cooking dinner and I was looking for the same article, but came across this one instead. Yes, I did read that the financial aspect of it was trivial, but he’s still an asshole for encouraging the intake of something that could potentially kill you so off-the-cuff like that.

sweeterthan
04-08-2020, 06:56 AM
Maybe he doesn’t have a personal financial stake in the drug but I’m willing to bet someone who has access to him does. Why else would he promote it so much? He benefits because some rich person or people he knows will benefit.

theimage13
04-08-2020, 07:11 AM
Maybe he doesn’t have a a personal financial stake in the drug but I’m willing to bet someone who has access to him does. Why else would he promote it so much? He benefits because some rich person or people he knows will benefit.

As the article laid out: desperation. He's drowning, and he needs SOMETHING to sell to people, because that's all he knows how to do: bluster and blow and sell shit. Not ruling out the possibility that some buddy may have a higher stake in it, but it's completely on brand for him to just desperately pitch out something useless for no other reason than to cover his ass and try to stay afloat. Right now, I'd be willing to bet he's way more concerned about re-election (i.e. pitching whatever good news he possibly can) than helping out literally anybody who isn't himself by manipulating markets. So my theory is that this whole thing is entirely self-serving and not motivated at all by others. It's full blown CYA.

Erneuert
04-08-2020, 07:19 AM
When it comes to politics I usually don’t throw an ounce of an opinion in, but this outbreak has hit not only a nerve with me, but really piqued my interest (as devastating as it is) on a level of genuine curiosity. I think it comes down to (being 31 now and looking back at my college years, double-majoring in English & Philosophy and rolling my eyes) the fact that I really would have loved to have studied, in earnest, biology or microbiology. As bad as it all is I can’t help but feel slightly fascinated by it.

What’s that George Carlin quote from years ago? “If you read the daily paper - even poorly - you know something is fucked up”. That’s how I feel every time I see Trump talking for more than a minute. My mind immediately asks me: “how is this person not in a mental institution, let alone in a position of virtual ultimate power?”

No real point to this post, but just throwing a bit of my background character out there. Hope everyone is staying safe.

sweeterthan
04-08-2020, 07:24 AM
As the article laid out: desperation. He's drowning, and he needs SOMETHING to sell to people, because that's all he knows how to do: bluster and blow and sell shit. Not ruling out the possibility that some buddy may have a higher stake in it, but it's completely on brand for him to just desperately pitch out something useless for no other reason than to cover his ass and try to stay afloat.

True. It is working with his base. I saw a Facebook “friend” posting about how the “dems” don’t want anyone to get the drug because they hate trump and people or something.

cdm
04-08-2020, 08:52 AM
Maybe he doesn’t have a personal financial stake in the drug but I’m willing to bet someone who has access to him does. Why else would he promote it so much? He benefits because some rich person or people he knows will benefit.

There's definitely something fucked up about it. I think one part of it is purely disinformation. "It's not that bad, Dems are liars, the sky isn't falling, I know what I'm doing, take this drug, it's a miracle!." Muddy the waters.

On the other hand, money to his family / campaign isn't always a straight line.

allegate
04-08-2020, 08:54 AM

I don't know which Closer Look it is but I read someone else who had watched it quote this: "Seth Meyers has a good point. The drug has more than six syllables and Trump nails it every time so he has a personal interest in making sure it's correct when he says it."

cdm
04-08-2020, 09:50 AM
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-04-07/hospitals-washington-seize-coronavirus-supplies

I'm just going to leave this here without commentary because...I just can't fucking deal with this shit anymore.

sweeterthan
04-08-2020, 10:08 AM
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-04-07/hospitals-washington-seize-coronavirus-supplies

I'm just going to leave this here without commentary because...I just can't fucking deal with this shit anymore.

Why why why? I don’t understand why they’d do this. It’s weird and fucked up.

Archive_Reports
04-08-2020, 10:11 AM
I'm sure those supplies will surface in red or swing states shortly.

theimage13
04-08-2020, 11:07 AM
Dr. Fauci says the coronavirus is "shining a bright light" on "unacceptable" health disparities for African Americans (https://www.businessinsider.com/fauci-covid-19-shows-unacceptable-disparities-for-african-americans-2020-4?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=sf-bi-main&fbclid=IwAR0AKgF7u5IYIjJM7PNikbMMFypeCVQDM8dwKylOb G79yax4x98cWzG73kg)

bryan_NIN65
04-08-2020, 02:08 PM
but he’s still an asshole for encouraging the intake of something that could potentially kill you so off-the-cuff like that.

I have taken this medicine for a swollen lymnoid, my wife has taken it for cyst. It is prescribed for many infection as is very effective.

Sarah K
04-08-2020, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I once took a Klonopin which helped with my anxiety, so now I view it as a universal treatment for everything.

bryan_NIN65
04-08-2020, 02:35 PM
Always just have to be rude,damn guys. Tons of medicine has mutiple uses. Sarah, sounds like you could use another dose of your anxiety meds. I'll wait for the next comeback or you could just stop haveing a smartass remark.

cdm
04-08-2020, 02:39 PM
Always just have to be rude,damn guys. Tons of medicine has mutiple uses. Sarah, sounds like you could use another dose of your anxiety meds.

Yes, some do...after years of trials and verification and without a conman filling the airwaves with disinformation. The last part is uncalled for and you should be fucking ashamed of it.

bryan_NIN65
04-08-2020, 02:41 PM
Last part was a joke duh, she was being a smartass, cause she don't like me or what I said.

Jinsai
04-08-2020, 02:45 PM

Look, I hate the orange man as much as the next guy. But the financial stake article is about him having somewhere between $100-1,500 in it as part of a larger fund (talks about other possible exposure is speculation). I've got a bigger fucking stake than that in several companies, and I am by no measurable statistic "wealthy".

All this said, I still think it's fucking stupid that he keeps pushing it publicly, because it's doing notable harm to people who actually need the drug right now. If he has good reason to suspect it might be useful, have research and testing fast-tracked, but do it quietly and then release information as it becomes relevant.

I think the claims are more related to the connections point, where the guy who runs the company paid to get into Trump's inner circle, and that's just kinda how it seems like Trump works.

Who knows though. It seems like a red herring to me, and we have bigger problems.

Sarah K
04-08-2020, 03:12 PM
Always just have to be rude,damn guys. Tons of medicine has mutiple uses. Sarah, sounds like you could use another dose of your anxiety meds. I'll wait for the next comeback or you could just stop haveing a smartass remark.

An alternate option is you could fuck off and/or stop being a huge piece of shit. But I'm betting that is unlikely to happen.

Leviathant
04-08-2020, 03:44 PM
Last part was a joke duh, she was being a smartass, cause she don't like me or what I said.

Jokes are supposed to be funny.

You know what would be real funny? Banning you from ETS forever. Fuck around some more and find out.

That's a real warning. I will delete your account and every last one of your 256 posts.

zero
04-08-2020, 06:47 PM
I will delete your account and every last one of your 256 posts.

I hope you decide to avoid that. This place is already so damn tribal it's extremely disturbing. While I agree that trollish crap can be quite annoying, difference of opinion (and the associated strong emotions) should be tolerated in an open forum.

cdm
04-08-2020, 06:59 PM
...difference of opinion (and the associated strong emotions) should be tolerated in an open forum.

That wasn’t a difference of opinion nor was it trolling.

Edit: it wasn’t fucking tribal, either.

zero
04-09-2020, 03:07 AM
Forecast for Covid-19 peak hospital resource usage in USA is April 11. Website linked below will also show projections for other countries and individual states.

COVID-19 Projections (https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america)

versusreality
04-09-2020, 06:22 AM
I woke up today thinking...

the "positive signs" are BS. i think they're just saying that to bring a sense of calmness, to help the stock market, and to make it feel like things will be turning back to normal soon. doesn't help that I'm essentially in the epicenter of it in NJ.

hope I'm wrong.

theimage13
04-09-2020, 06:37 AM

the "positive signs" are BS. i think they're just saying that to bring a sense of calmness, to help the stock market, and to make it feel like things will be turning back to normal soon. doesn't help that I'm essentially in the epicenter of it in NJ.

hope I'm wrong.

That's where my head is at right now. Our county is at 600+ cases and rising with over 50 deaths - not staggering numbers on their own, necessarily, but given the incubation time, the ability to be an asymptomatic carrier, and the complications of living with someone who would be very likely to require intensive care if infected...you'll forgive me if I'm not sold on the notion of skipping off for takeout or heading to the store just to get some beer even though my grocery supply is fine. That might just be me though.

Erneuert
04-09-2020, 08:39 AM
Fuck,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l-pSTXihcY (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-l-pSTXihcY)

versusreality
04-09-2020, 09:06 AM
^ one of my co-workers knew him personally

theimage13
04-09-2020, 09:36 AM
Fuck

There are plenty more instances of that. This isn't a new development that the virus is getting worse or anything. But it is one of the reasons I get so pissed off whenever young people are like "lulz whatever it can't get me". (That and the whole "think about others, you selfish twat" aspect.)

Erneuert
04-09-2020, 10:24 AM
^ one of my co-workers knew him personally

Very sorry to hear that.

Sarah K
04-09-2020, 10:33 AM
Pence is blocking (https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/media/pence-office-tv-bookings-coronavirus/index.html) top health officials from appearing on CNN unless they start airing the daily briefings in full.

Vice President Mike Pence's office has declined to allow the nation's top health officials to appear on CNN in recent days and discuss the coronavirus pandemic killing thousands of Americans, in an attempt to pressure the network into carrying the White House's lengthy daily briefings in full.

Pence's office, which is responsible for booking the officials on networks during the pandemic, said it will only allow experts such as Dr. Deborah Birx or Dr. Anthony Fauci to appear on CNN if the network televises the portion of the White House briefings that includes the vice president and other coronavirus task force members.

ickyvicky
04-09-2020, 10:55 AM
I know it's been going on for a long time now, but this feud between CNN and Fox News has to fucking stop.

versusreality
04-09-2020, 11:15 AM
maybe some positive news. I take it with a giant grain of salt:
https://www.npr.org/2020/04/09/830664814/fauci-says-u-s-coronavirus-deaths-may-be-more-like-60-000-antibody-tests-on-way

ekrekel
04-09-2020, 11:59 AM
Pence is blocking (https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/media/pence-office-tv-bookings-coronavirus/index.html) top health officials from appearing on CNN unless they start airing the daily briefings in full.

Pence's office, which is responsible for booking the officials on networks during the pandemic, said it will only allow experts such as Dr. Deborah Birx or Dr. Anthony Fauci to appear on CNN if the network televises the portion of the White House briefings that includes the vice president and other coronavirus task force members.
I'm good with this. No trump, no pillow guy, etc. as close to the facts as this administration is going to get.

NPR's attempt at projecting state by state peaks.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/07/825479416/new-yorks-coronavirus-deaths-may-level-off-soon-when-might-your-state-s-peak

theimage13
04-09-2020, 01:15 PM
I'm good with this. No trump, no pillow guy, etc. as close to the facts as this administration is going to get.

NPR's attempt at projecting state by state peaks.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/07/825479416/new-yorks-coronavirus-deaths-may-level-off-soon-when-might-your-state-s-peak

I'm not good with this. I'm good with the part about CNN not airing that press briefing bullshit, but I'm not okay with the United States government censoring its employees and holding their critically necessary and informed opinions hostage in exchange for propaganda time. That's beyond fucked up in my book.

Jinsai
04-09-2020, 01:27 PM
I'm not good with this. I'm good with the part about CNN not airing that press briefing bullshit, but I'm not okay with the United States government censoring its employees and holding their critically necessary and informed opinions hostage in exchange for propaganda time. That's beyond fucked up in my book.

Pretty much exactly what I was about to say. I think it's disturbing.

Shadaloo
04-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Nine cases of Covid-19 in my mom's seniors' residence, now including one on her floor. I've warned her to wear a mask at all times and not to leave her room.

I am trying to keep calm, but I'm very, very nervous.

theimage13
04-09-2020, 01:53 PM
Nine cases of Covid-19 in my mom's seniors' residence, now including one on her floor. I've warned her to wear a mask at all times and not to leave her room.

I know it's not soothing, but...I would be nervous too. Thinking happy thoughts for both of you.

bobbie solo
04-09-2020, 02:55 PM

Can you take her out of there and let her stay with you? If you take the proper precautions, she might be better off.

Shadaloo
04-09-2020, 03:23 PM
Can you take her out of there and let her stay with you? If you take the proper precautions, she might be better off.

I've offered to bring her to her brothers' , but she's adamant that she doesn't want to leave her things behind as they told me they might put someone in her room while she's away. She's very nervous and hypertensive like that. She won't budge unless I void the entire place.

ManBurning
04-09-2020, 03:32 PM

hope I'm wrong.

I've suffered from incredible depression for like 20 years, but I went to bed feeling optimistic with some of the news and modeling I was reading. Thought "Yeah, all this does look like it'll be over by June/July. I can do this" and I actually felt good about this for the first time in months. Today, I woke up to new articles from Canada saying this will be going on til spring 2021 and we will peak in July or October at the latest and we will need to hide inside at least for a year and our PM won't reopen concerts, sports and dining until there is a vaccine.

Fuck this rollercoaster shit. I'm sick of reading the back and forth optimistic and pessimistic posts from the media. So depressing...

Starting to feel like the only way out is to catch the damn virus, and I know it'll be fatal for me because my lungs are fucked, so I wouldn't even make it so that's another depressing thought. *sigh*

However... with that said....

That's where my head is at right now. Our county is at 600+ cases and rising with over 50 deaths - not staggering numbers on their own, necessarily, but given the incubation time, the ability to be an asymptomatic carrier, and the complications of living with someone who would be very likely to require intensive care if infected...you'll forgive me if I'm not sold on the notion of skipping off for takeout or heading to the store just to get some beer even though my grocery supply is fine. That might just be me though.

As much as I want to get back to "normal" I feel like it's going to take myself time to even want to work up the courage to do certain things. Like, going on an airplane and going on a vacation somewhere? Gonna be years before I can work up the courage to do that. Right now, would just be nice to be able to freely go out and about on transit and to go eat and stuff. I haven't rode public transit in about 3 weeks. I walk everywhere now. Walked for 45 mins each way yesterday and lugged a week's worth of food home. I'm not gonna chance it on the bus, no way. That's one of the most infected areas these days. I rely on transit too, I don't have a car or a license, so to me... it's essential to get around, but I don't trust a bus now, so I'm kind of stuck within a 45 min walking radius of my place... and there isn't a whole heck of a lot around my place so it's getting pretty boring around here.

So for me, getting "back to normal" would just be nice to be able to start taking the bus again and going outside and enjoying stuff, going to a store without having to wait in a 30 min line to get in and put on a mask and gloves every time you go in. Having to disinfect my mail... I just want all that nonsense to be over.

To quote Tom Petty: "The waiting is the hardest part"
If I could go into a cryogenic sleep for the next 2 years and wake up when this is all over, I totally would.

theimage13
04-09-2020, 03:54 PM
As much as I want to get back to "normal" I feel like it's going to take myself time to even want to work up the courage to do certain things. Like, going on an airplane and going on a vacation somewhere? Gonna be years before I can work up the courage to do that. Right now, would just be nice to be able to freely go out and about on transit and to go eat and stuff. I haven't rode public transit in about 3 weeks. I walk everywhere now. Walked for 45 mins each way yesterday and lugged a week's worth of food home. I'm not gonna chance it on the bus, no way. That's one of the most infected areas these days. I rely on transit too, I don't have a car or a license, so to me... it's essential to get around, but I don't trust a bus now, so I'm kind of stuck within a 45 min walking radius of my place... and there isn't a whole heck of a lot around my place so it's getting pretty boring around here.

So for me, getting "back to normal" would just be nice to be able to start taking the bus again and going outside and enjoying stuff, going to a store without having to wait in a 30 min line to get in and put on a mask and gloves every time you go in. Having to disinfect my mail... I just want all that nonsense to be over.

I feel ya. I don't have as much of a choice. As soon as the tour starts back up I'll be spending 5-15 hours in the air each week, with dozens more in security lines, gates, taxiing, etc. Just gonna have to be as careful as I can and hope for the best.

allegro
04-09-2020, 05:12 PM
I saw this and started crying

https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1248295603580416000?s=20

Feedingamerica.org/feedthelove

zero
04-09-2020, 06:20 PM
Feedingamerica.org/feedthelove (http://Feedingamerica.org/feedthelove)

Feeding America has a perfect 4 out of 4 rating at charitynavigator.org and they really seem to be doing what they can to help. Donated $250.

allegro
04-09-2020, 06:57 PM
Feeding America has a perfect 4 out of 4 rating at charitynavigator.org and they really seem to be doing what they can to help. Donated $250.

OH my God, bless you!

Magnetic
04-09-2020, 09:59 PM
I donated.

allegro
04-09-2020, 10:10 PM
I donated.

Yay, thank you!!!

Sarah K
04-10-2020, 10:40 AM
Dang. From the 4th - 9th, 4,279 people died in NY. Up to 7,844 in total.

theimage13
04-10-2020, 10:49 AM
Dang. From the 4th - 9th, 4,279 people died in NY. Up to 7,844 in total.

As of today, New York State has had more confirmed cases than any other country. That's mind-boggling.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52239261

Sarah K
04-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Oof. Those mass grave pics.

zero
04-10-2020, 12:49 PM
There have been over one hundred thousand deaths from Covid-19, so far.
Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases (https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6)

ickyvicky
04-10-2020, 01:28 PM
Can Fauci be President? ;)

richardp
04-10-2020, 04:06 PM
Oof. Those mass grave pics.

Fuckin' surreal. Seeing that shit has me feeling extremely grateful that our casualty rate here is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller. We have only just had our 99th confirmed death in the state of MO, with KS hovering around 60 I believe. Granted, our hospitals are still STRUGGLING heavily, but I mean, when I see what's happening in NY, I cannot help but feel like, at least so, we have dodged a bullet in the midwest. I mean, we had 1,000,000 people crammed into the downtown area for the Chiefs parade just a week or two before everything shut down. It could have easily been so much worse here. Now if all these fucking Christians would just stay the fuck home this weekend...

Sarah K
04-10-2020, 04:08 PM
Bruh.

Why can't antibiotics keep up with this genius virus???????????????????????????????????????????

1248701493898891265 (https://twitter.com/KeejayOV2/status/1248701493898891265)

There's a photo in this (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/nyregion/coronavirus-deaths-hart-island-burial.html)article that gives some perspective on how huge that mass grave is. It's too big to embed here (saved with "superJumbo" in the URL, lol).

Jinsai
04-10-2020, 05:22 PM
Bruh.

Why can't antibiotics keep up with this genius virus???????????????????????????????????????????

1248701493898891265 (https://twitter.com/KeejayOV2/status/1248701493898891265)

There's a photo in this (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/nyregion/coronavirus-deaths-hart-island-burial.html)article that gives some perspective on how huge that mass grave is. It's too big to embed here (saved with "superJumbo" in the URL, lol).

Goddamn it, he is THE stupidest motherfucker...

zero
04-10-2020, 05:51 PM
Well this is very sad and alarming news, but not surprising if you think about it. Bulk food buyers such as restaurants and school systems have dramatically reduced purchasing due to pandemic mitigation closures. Since people still need to eat, retail food purchasing is dramatically higher.

The supply chain was never designed to adapt this quickly, so there are very serious consequences such as shortages at retail outlets, and alarming amounts of food being disposed of simply because the supply chain can not adapt fast enough to move the product to consumers. One article which discusses some aspects of this unfortunate tragedy is: Food goes to waste amid coronavirus crisis (https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/05/food-waste-coronavirus-pandemic-164557)

Sarah K
04-10-2020, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I have a lot of family in agriculture, and they're all stressed. Last year everything was pushed back later than normal due to flooding.

I have a cousin who manages a feedlot with ~40,000 head of cattle. They didn't breed until July, so they're about to have ~a lot of calves~ and not any space, as slaughter has slowed down a lot.

Then, right around now is when the side who farms crops would be planting soybeans so they could get corn in before the end of May, which is the cutoff to get corn crops insured. They're all hesitant to plant. Like I said, last year was a rough year for all of them. Lots of flooding, so crops were late, and then fucked. Now they're scared to plant again and not be able to sell it. Almost all of their corn crop is for ethanol, and there is a huge surplus of fuel right now. So.

versusreality
04-10-2020, 08:29 PM
Maybe give the food to the needy? It's a far fetched idea but...there's going to be a lot of hungry mouths after this. Hell, there's already a bunch of hungry mouths.

Sarah K
04-10-2020, 09:32 PM
Corn grown for ethanol is not edible, and soybeans go to livestock feed.

versusreality
04-10-2020, 10:39 PM
bummer

Magnetic
04-10-2020, 10:47 PM
Corn grown for ethanol is not edible, and soybeans go to livestock feed.
I have family who farm for the same stuff. Most years, there's no profit and they're just staying alive. I worry about them this year. Huge corporations are just lying in wait to buy them out when they can't get out of the red.

Sarah K
04-10-2020, 11:01 PM
Hah. Yep. I actually typed and then deleted something similar. They can't absorb two shit years in a row. Small farms are rare now, and I'm sure that would be the end of I don't even know how many generations of farmers.

theimage13
04-11-2020, 07:12 AM
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0052/7764/6959/products/KISS-1STRESPONDERS_800x.png?v=1586391430

This is real, and it goes to keep people like me from being unemployed AND broke (just unemployed instead).

https://shopkissonline.com/products/stay-at-home-t-shirt

Substance242
04-11-2020, 09:17 AM
If you can watch this, I can only recommend two BBC documentaries:

Coronavirus special (2020), summary of everything we know so far:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000h3nm

Secret Universe: The Hidden Life of the Cell (2012 already), I can't remember ever watching a documentary with mouth open almost the whole time, it's like The Matrix movie and Limbo/Inside games but it's real, happening right now inside of you, how on Earth could this ever develop... factual with amazing graphics, like... serious wow. :-O I can see now it also has page on IMDB and everywhere but I didn't know before.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nln7d
"Documentary exploring the inner world of the human cellular structure via the narrative of a viral infection from within the world of a single cell."

Randomly chosen screenshot I just made:

https://imgup.cz/images/2020/04/11/mpv-shot0005.jpg

Magnetic
04-11-2020, 09:58 AM
Can't watch those in the US. I can't be bothered to set up my VPN on my new laptop.
I did see the Hidden Life of a Cell. It's really well done.

For those in the US, I LOVED these when they came out. This one in particular has a good ambient soundtrack to it. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hk9jct2ozY

For a longer version with voiceover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpHaxzroYxg

versusreality
04-11-2020, 10:31 AM
the fucker better not try to reopen the economy May 1st.

ickyvicky
04-11-2020, 11:33 AM

That's definitely the number 1 thing I am worried about. I'll stay home as long as it takes, but I do not want to go back to "normal life" and then have to re-do all of this again. It also makes me more worried that there's a better chance of catching COVID if we do end up going back.

ManBurning
04-11-2020, 12:12 PM

Least your fucker doesn't want to wait til summer 2021, or later to "reopen shit"
I ain't hiding in my house for 18 months. Fuck that noise.

I agree that May 1st is way too soon though. But I think July 1st is a feasible estimate.

I think once other countries start getting "back to normal" in July/August/September, Canada will have no choice but to follow suit.

marodi
04-11-2020, 01:22 PM
Least your fucker doesn't want to wait til summer 2021, or later to "reopen shit"

I agree that May 1st is way too soon though. But I think July 1st is a feasible estimate.

I think once other countries start getting "back to normal" in July/August/September, Canada will have no choice but to follow suit.

Unless there's a second wave in the fall, which is a very likely probability. The second wave of the 1918 influenza pandemic was the deadliest one too.

I'm not a Trudeau fan whatsoever but he was absolutely right about one thing: the only
way we will finally be safe from covid-19 is when a vaccine is developed. And that takes time.

Here in Quebec, every single public event scheduled before August 31 (entertainment and sport) have been cancelled.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/S8phztgeygGJi/source.gif

ltrandazzo
04-11-2020, 01:54 PM
That fucker didn't shut anything down to begin with so it's unclear how he thinks he'd be able to reopen the economy.

WorzelG
04-11-2020, 02:02 PM

Summer 2021? If that happens in the UK kill me now!

Magnetic
04-11-2020, 02:44 PM
Universal Studios has closed in Florida and California until the end of May.

Realistically, it makes sense to keep everything closed until maybe mid June. Most high-resource need/ deaths are forecasted to last until the beginning of June. https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

ManBurning
04-11-2020, 02:59 PM
I'm not a Trudeau fan whatsoever but he was absolutely right about one thing: the only
way we will finally be safe from covid-19 is when a vaccine is developed. And that takes time.

Problem is... some virus' don't ever end up getting a vaccine. SARS has been waiting 17 yrs for a vaccine.

Word on the street is, people aren't even developing proper antibody's to this virus anyway. That's why people keep getting reinfected after they have been told they have recovered.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3078840/coronavirus-low-antibody-levels-raise-questions-about

Who's to say they're going to magically have one ready in a year? If they don't, are the going to pause life itself for 5 years? No they won't. Musicians make money touring, nobody buys music. That'll be the death of the music industry as we know it alone.

I saw a video with a scientist that said the world fucked up with this "social distancing" and it's only prolonging the virus and it could go on for years at this rate.

EDIT: Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGC5sGdz4kg

Magnetic
04-11-2020, 03:03 PM
Actually, they did have a SARS vaccine in progress, but funding was dropped when SARS was contained. If they had kept at it, we might not be in this situation.

theimage13
04-11-2020, 03:12 PM
I understand the concept of herd immunity - the problem is getting there. People - not an insignificant number - will die if we just go "expose yourselves, we need to build immunity!" Yes, in an ideal world we'd all have antibodies. But how many people are you willing to voluntarily sacrifice in order to get there? Does Hallmark make a "thanks for taking one for the team" card that you can give to someone as they die on a ventilator?

Early vaccine work is already promising. But if months and years go by and the virus is outsmarting those efforts, then I think it's time we start thinking about just adapting to the notion that we may have to face this head on and accept that there will be losses. I think it's way too early to be thinking that way though.

WorzelG
04-11-2020, 03:39 PM
So if more people start dying in the global economic depression caused by strict lockdown measures for several YEARS than they do of the pandemic, can you allow maybe measures can be eased slightly?