PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones - Spoilers

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Canuckle
04-14-2014, 10:48 AM
I really enjoyed last night's episode. Although it was 'spoiled' for me through some random comments section.

That being said, I am getting a bit weary on the entire story arc (I have not read the books). I understand it's the nature of the books and the show to have 10+ parallel storylines going on at once, but I'm starting to grow tired of trying to get excited for each significant event that happens in what feels like a vacuum with no true significance to the overall problem in GoT. Much like how Lost eventually 'lost' its way in regards to the mystery of the island.

The first two seasons had a couple climatic moments where it was the culmination of a handful of storylines, in the past two seasons (so far) there have been some great moments, but they feel confined to the individual characters that are involved. I'm really hoping that last night's episode starts a chain of events that focuses the show into a less of a disparate pace of storytelling.

I doubt it, but one can hope. (i.e., it would be nice to feel some form of finality during this years season finale and not immediately wonder what's going to happen in season 5)

Mr. Blaileen
04-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Having read the books and knowing what's going to happen, there are definitely things that will be wrapped up by the end of the season. Knowing the author/showrunners, we're always going to be wondering what's next, though.

They've squeezed a lot of huge events now into the last four episodes, so I think it will take a little bit for them to show the fallout from these events, and what it means for the rest of these characters.

Last night's episode was definitely a game changer, though. Director Alex Gray (who is also doing episodes 3, 8, and 10 this season) had this to say on the rest of the season:

"Two is completely intertwined with the rest of the season. Ned Stark's death was not and end, it was a beginning. It's when the show began. All the deaths are like that, and Joffrey's death is no different. Joffrey's death affects the show through to its climax."

orestes
04-14-2014, 04:25 PM
My one minor gripe about the episode is the omission of a huge but subtle revelation during the pre-wedding breakfast, involving Joffrey.

Baphomette
04-14-2014, 06:07 PM
His familiarity with Valyrian steel?

orestes
04-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Yes.

I don't know why it was left out.

howdidislipinto
04-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Yes.

I don't know why it was left out.

Can I ask what the implications of his familiarity were?

Also, hello thread! I think this is the first time I've ventured here. Love the show, and don't really intend on reading the books -- not out of disinterest, probably more that I don't really have faith that the book series will ever be finished so I figure I should just enjoy the show as it happens. By the end of the most recent HBO renewal the books and show should be all caught up, right?

orestes
04-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Book spoiler: it has to do with Bran, so figure it out.

slave2thewage
04-14-2014, 07:43 PM
I think they might have that revelation in a later episode.

It's sad that Jack Gleeson is giving up acting. It was fun seeing act circles around pretty much everyone at the wedding.

howdidislipinto
04-14-2014, 07:49 PM
Iiiinteresting. Would that fit with what was shown in S1? (Basically (book spoiler), did Baratheon actually say on the show that it'd be a mercy if Bran died like he did in the book?) I've been watching the show as it airs, saving the big rewatch for a bluray box set down the road, so I'm sure I've missed plenty of little intricacies.

Baphomette
04-14-2014, 08:00 PM
No, he didn't say that in S1. Maybe that's why the other thing was left out.

Baphomette
04-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Gonna rewatch the Sam and Gilly scenes tonight and save my Ambien.

BORING.

orestes
04-20-2014, 11:17 PM
Yeah, the change to Mole Town. . . I dunno.

slave2thewage
04-20-2014, 11:39 PM
That fucking sept scene...

orestes
04-20-2014, 11:41 PM
They managed to make that scene awkwarder than in the book.

In other news: get it Ellaria.

thelastdisciple
04-20-2014, 11:53 PM
If anyone needed a fantastic season 1 recap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RI9iqa1kbM

littlemonkey613
04-20-2014, 11:57 PM
If I recall correctly, in the books, Jamie approaches Cersei once more... in the chapel in front of a certain dead person... but Jamie doesn't go that far there.

In the books its supposed to be implied that Jaime forces himself on Cersei and its still the most pleasurable sex she can have. Its sort of supposed to be this sad subtle reality. He does force himself onto her in that scene, but she ends up getting turned on (much like how Dany enjoys sex most with Khal Drogo even though rape is a part of the fabric of their relationship.) It's a much more subtle and interesting sexual dynamic. Ive noticed in the show they simplify the most interesting Lannister sex/power dynamics. For instance I would argue what they did to Tyrion and Shae is the grossest bastardization of any storyline in the show. Newsflash - making a character an idiot doesn't give them more agency. Making them star crossed lovers and making her in love with him is the stupidest shit ever...

I think they simplified the scene to make it easier to digest and navigate? I dont really get it. There's supposed to be different levels of how things work for sex and Cersei there was Robert (whom she was like a slave to sexually, being raped periodically and hurt physically) then the people she sleeps with to gain power (everyone but Jaime) then there's Jaime, the only person she can enjoy sexually but its still a far cry from consensual all the time, despite her warming up to it. In her POV in the 4th book she does mention that Jaime wouldn't take "no" for an answer a lot of the time and you think she is describing Robert but at the end of the description you find out its Jaime and your like "o fuck i didnt realize that"

Space Suicide
04-21-2014, 01:41 AM
What have I done to myself?

I just bought the season 1 blu-ray set.

Late to the party.

Baphomette
04-21-2014, 03:00 AM
Upon rewatch, noticed first mention of The Golden Company. :)

orestes
04-21-2014, 06:24 AM
By the Onion Knight, right?

ambergris
04-21-2014, 08:27 AM
In the books its supposed to be implied that Jaime forces himself on Cersei and its still the most pleasurable sex she can have. Its sort of supposed to be this sad subtle reality. He does force himself onto her in that scene, but she ends up getting turned on (much like how Dany enjoys sex most with Khal Drogo even though rape is a part of the fabric of their relationship.) It's a much more subtle and interesting sexual dynamic. Ive noticed in the show they simplify the most interesting Lannister sex/power dynamics. For instance I would argue what they did to Tyrion and Shae is the grossest bastardization of any storyline in the show. Newsflash - making a character an idiot doesn't give them more agency. Making them star crossed lovers and making her in love with him is the stupidest shit ever...

I think they simplified the scene to make it easier to digest and navigate? I dont really get it. There's supposed to be different levels of how things work for sex and Cersei there was Robert (whom she was like a slave to sexually, being raped periodically and hurt physically) then the people she sleeps with to gain power (everyone but Jaime) then there's Jaime, the only person she can enjoy sexually but its still a far cry from consensual all the time, despite her warming up to it. In her POV in the 4th book she does mention that Jaime wouldn't take "no" for an answer a lot of the time and you think she is describing Robert but at the end of the description you find out its Jaime and your like "o fuck i didnt realize that"

I'm not sure that there is that much difference between book and tv version. After all, they have to translate it to the screen somehow. Those "First she resists, then she gives in" scenes always make me uncomfortable. The first time I noticed those in "Blade Runner" when Deckard slams the door when Rachel wants to leave. Is it rape or not? Maybe the woman still doesn't want it but she stops refusing, simply because of the difference of physical strength... I guess that's what happens here and it's just a small matter of degree.
I actually like the changes they made to Shae, but they do make the next development of her character more difficult to accomplish.
I assume they already put in some stuff from the 4th and 5th book into this season? I think they are rather skilled at that, but this episode felt a bit scattered.

littlemonkey613
04-21-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm not sure that there is that much difference between book and tv version. After all, they have to translate it to the screen somehow. Those "First she resists, then she gives in" scenes always make me uncomfortable. The first time I noticed those in "Blade Runner" when Deckard slams the door when Rachel wants to leave. Is it rape or not? Maybe the woman still doesn't want it but she stops refusing, simply because of the difference of physical strength... I guess that's what happens here and it's just a small matter of degree.
I actually like the changes they made to Shae, but they do make the next development of her character more difficult to accomplish.
I assume they already put in some stuff from the 4th and 5th book into this season? I think they are rather skilled at that, but this episode felt a bit scattered.

They took out where she like "“Hurry,” she was whispering now, “quickly, quickly, now, do it now, do me now. Jaime Jaime Jaime.” Her hands helped guide him. “Yes,” Cersei said as he thrust, “my brother, sweet brother, yes, like that, yes, I have you, you’re home now, you’re home now, you’re home.” LOLOL

Also they took out every line of him coming back and her being like "you're my other half, I was lost without you, I was so worried you would die , you make me whole" yada yada yada. Instead they made everything all like

Cersei: "Fuck you for not having a hand and being captured jaime ur so selfish!"
Jaime: babe what
Cersei: *is normal and in character and wants tyrion dead
Jaime: YOU HATEFUL WOMAN *hurts cersei physically.

really out of character shit. Destroys their two character arcs in relation to eachother. Shame shame...

Prettybrokenspiral
04-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Can't get my head around all the internet King Joffrey hate. He was one of my favorite characters on the show. Along with the guy who cut off Theon's dick.

howdidislipinto
04-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Those "First she resists, then she gives in" scenes always make me uncomfortable.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I haven't read the book version, but if it was along those lines, I'd rather have the show depict what it REALLY is, rather than have everyone continue to blur lines and debate what's what regarding an issue that really doesn't have any grey areas.

Piko
04-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Can't get my head around all the internet King Joffrey hate. He was one of my favorite characters on the show. Along with the guy who cut off Theon's dick.

Joffery was pure evil. He was a good character when it came to a despicable character that you're meant to hate. When he died, I was shocked. I expected more. Not complaining. But to have a character so evil like Joffery die from just poison just feels so unfulfilling, heh.

Piko
04-21-2014, 09:35 PM
I was hoping for a fate worse than the red wedding. Considering reading the books, but i'm weary of doing it. Kind of like going into the seasons blind. But, I get a strong feeling that Tywin had something to do with the poisoning. Maybe he offered his "assurances", again...

orestes
04-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Ummmm, no.

hobochic
04-22-2014, 01:47 AM
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I haven't read the book version, but if it was along those lines, I'd rather have the show depict what it REALLY is, rather than have everyone continue to blur lines and debate what's what regarding an issue that really doesn't have any grey areas.

How didn't the show depict what it really was? In my opinion they managed to portray a rape, and blatantly so. Anything more obvious and in your face would have just been out of character - considering who we're dealing with and their history. This was probably one of my biggest WTF scenes so far in the show.

Baphomette
04-22-2014, 01:50 AM
This was probably one of my biggest WTF scenes so far in the show.Incest, infanticide, cannibalism, appendage chopping, gelding, pet killing, deaths by burning and beheadings were NOTHING compared to this.

thelastdisciple
04-22-2014, 02:01 AM
Incest, infanticide, cannibalism, appendage chopping, gelding, pet killing, deaths by burning and beheadings were NOTHING compared to this.
Yep, the people offended by that scene... i really have to wonder why none of these other gruesome acts bothered them.

So much hypocrisy.

There are tons of tragedies depicted in this show, things that are unacceptable in the real world.. any person of mature and sound mind can grasp that yet people seem to pick their favorites as far as what to get offended by.

I get the purism with the books vs. the show and triggers with personal experiences in life but jesus FUCKING christ.

hobochic
04-22-2014, 02:01 AM
Incest, infanticide, cannibalism, appendage chopping, gelding, pet killing, deaths by burning and beheadings were NOTHING compared to this.

Perhaps I haven't been exposed enough to incestuous siblings raping each other next to their inbred son's corpse. ;)

howdidislipinto
04-22-2014, 05:39 AM
How didn't the show depict what it really was? In my opinion they managed to portray a rape, and blatantly so. Anything more obvious and in your face would have just been out of character - considering who we're dealing with and their history. This was probably one of my biggest WTF scenes so far in the show.

Sorry, I was saying the show DID depict it as what it was, and I was glad it did so. As opposed to scenes in books and movies where a female is coerced/forced but then the lines blur when she's shown to "enjoy" it. Some people are using the books to say, "It wasn't rape, it was just slightly icky!" (Not in this specific case, but others.) I'd rather see rape be depicted as what it is, like it was in this episode, than another disturbing "debatable" scene where people have room to deny/delude themselves on what really happened.

hobochic
04-22-2014, 05:46 AM
Sorry, I was saying the show DID depict it as what it was, and I was glad it did so. As opposed to scenes in books and movies where a female is coerced/forced but then the lines blur when she's shown to "enjoy" it. Some people are using the books to say, "It wasn't rape, it was just slightly icky!" (Not in this specific case, but others.) I'd rather see rape be depicted as what it is, like it was in this episode, than another disturbing "debatable" scene where people have room to deny/delude themselves on what really happened.

Gotcha, I read your post from the other angle. ;)

littlemonkey613
04-22-2014, 09:04 PM

I would rather there actually be a debate about how pressuring someone even if they "consent later" is 100% wrong b/c that is something that happens all the time also and we need to deal with it as a society. There are really important distinctions between the sexual dynamics between Cersei and the people in her life. For instance, what Jaime did to her on the show was what Robert did to her their entire marriage. Jaime would never do to Cersei what he did in the scene (though he is not above pressuring her until he turns her on and she gets aggressive). The distinction is not one of morally in terms of our view of Jaime, but how the situation effects Cersei and her relationship with Jaime compared to other men in her life.

Also youll be sad to find that there is a debate happening about whether it was rape on the show anyways. O___O mind blowing right?

Anyways its not so much that I am being a book purist in terms of plot and action as wanting the nature of the main characters to be preserved at least. I would rather have them just took the scene out and inserted one completely different that was in character. Jaime's actions and lines were the most out of character lazy shit shit ever and its less interesting. They aren't just changing things they are making them simpler and dumber for an HBO audience, and they have a horrible habit of consistently dumbing down female characterizations and gender politics more than anything. I should have known when they made Cersei all like "fuck uu jaimeee for losing a hand and being tortured omg u suck" "babe what" in their reunion scene.

The scene didnt depict what actuallyhappened, it just depicted something that more audience members would call rape, while still igniting the debate you want it to avoid. Im not saying the difference between the book and show scene is that in the book scene Jaime's actions are justifiable. Im saying the differences have a great bearing on the characterizations. I have no problem calling book Jaime a rapist by my standards (I know a lot of book fans disagree but fuck people who condone sexual pressure). Im just really sad about what they are doing with characterization b/c its just not as good.

But LOL actually maybe I am jumping the gun and that scene wont even change the arcs that much since Alex Graves and the actor that plays Jaime don't even think they made a rape scene -_______________-

ophelia_
04-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Personally I didn't even think of that as a rape scene until everyone on the interwebs got their knickers in a knot about it after.

Can't help but feel that it would have been much more aggressive/violent if it was intended to come across as rape.

orestes
04-22-2014, 10:24 PM
The fact that people aren't calling Jaimie's actions on the show as rape is troubling and speaks loudly of a greater misunderstanding of sexual assault and violence in society. How much more aggressive did Jaimie's actions need to be? Did he need to physically assault Cersei before dragging and pinning her down to the floor so viewers could easily call out his actions as rape?

Like I said earlier, the scene was awkward enough in the books, what with them having sex next to Joffrey's corpse, but I'm just baffled as to why they altered it from the book. All this character building over the past season has gone to shit for both characters. I mean, Jaimie lost a fucking hand because he was trying to defend Brienne's honor, not to mention being witness to Aerys II Targaryen's numerous rapes of Rhaella as a Kingsguard. Are we supposed to sympathize with Cersei now--what a lazy trope the writers used--or does the fact that Cersei is a spiteful bitch negate such feelings? I have a feeling that this will be just glossed over next week, with no side effects for either character.

sidenote: can we stop with the Suffering Olympics? Yes, there's lot of bad stuff that happens in this world, often for no justifiable reason, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't take offense or start quantifying which acts are more horrendous than others.

Conan The Barbarian
04-22-2014, 11:05 PM
I feel like this page took a tumblr turn.

theimage13
04-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Personally I didn't even think of that as a rape scene until everyone on the interwebs got their knickers in a knot about it after.

Can't help but feel that it would have been much more aggressive/violent if it was intended to come across as rape.

Yes, because clearly non-consensual sex is only actually rape if there's a gun involved....

He physically forced her and used his strength to overcome her...if that's not the definition of violence (and, tossing sex into the mix, rape), then what is?

playwithfire
04-23-2014, 06:08 PM
She said no.

Fixer808
04-23-2014, 06:47 PM
What a bastard... (http://undergroundmgzn.com/2014/04/15/man-ruins-game-thrones-series-novels-full-spoilers/?utm_content=bufferfde0e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer)
http://undergroundmgzn.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/martin-dance.jpg

howdidislipinto
04-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Like I said earlier, the scene was awkward enough in the books, what with them having sex next to Joffrey's corpse, but I'm just baffled as to why they altered it from the book. All this character building over the past season has gone to shit for both characters. I mean, Jaimie lost a fucking hand because he was trying to defend Brienne's honor, not to mention being witness to Aerys II Targaryen's numerous rapes of Rhaella as a Kingsguard. Are we supposed to sympathize with Cersei now--what a lazy trope the writers used--or does the fact that Cersei is a spiteful bitch negate such feelings? I have a feeling that this will be just glossed over next week, with no side effects for either character.

I agree with your other points, I just want to say that I think this is exactly why the scene works. Rapists aren't cartoon villains. They're normal people. I don't think it goes against the character they've established for Jaime to do this. I think it's scarily spot-on and very close to real life. Jaime could've been a saint till now and a saint from now on and I still don't think the scene would have been out of character.

As for Cersei, honestly, I don't think they did it to make her sympathetic... or at least I hope fucking not, because ugh.

Space Suicide
04-26-2014, 01:07 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/35691173.jpg

LOL. Love it.

slave2thewage
04-27-2014, 09:02 PM
WTF did I just watch?

I screeched when Tommen said "Ser Pounce"? Maybe we'll get a beet ban.

orestes
04-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Holy shit, that ending! I think we might have seen glimpses of Winds of Winter tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhAxXzhKnaU

slave2thewage
04-27-2014, 10:01 PM
People are running around calling Margaery a "rapist" now. Fucking SJWs.

orestes
04-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Just picking up a lesson or two from Lady Olenna. Me thinks Tommen got his first case of blue balls tonight.

Meereen: I'm glad they fleshed out the conquest because there was a big jump in time in the books that left much unexplained.

slave2thewage
04-27-2014, 10:14 PM
You think they'd have known better than to have a reprise of THAT scene in Meereen.

orestes
04-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Reply under spoiler tag- which scene?

slave2thewage
04-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Dany as White Savior

Baphomette
04-27-2014, 11:32 PM
I can't... My brain... WHAT

Did anyone else think Fortress of Solitude?

slave2thewage
04-28-2014, 01:06 AM
I was thinking more Minas Morgul in the frozen wastes.

Edit: HBO Viewer's Guide has thrown light on the ending - NIGHT'S KING, AAAAGH.

littlemonkey613
04-28-2014, 02:29 AM
God I love littlefinger

thelastdisciple
04-28-2014, 03:48 AM
Finally some White Walker scenes, so cool....bring it!

ambergris
04-28-2014, 06:59 AM
I've pretty much convinced myself that last week's episode was the worst GoT episode so far. That sort-of rape scene, that Gilly-to-Moletown scene, those last 5 minutes of Daenerys that might as well have been left out... Yesterday's episode was almost there to undo the damage that had been done, no mention of the rape by Cersei (Maybe we should assume that their sex always was this way), Sam now thinking about bringing Gilly back, and Daenerys at the beginning of the episode, and not as some kind of obligatory-showdown-at-the-end-of-the-episode. I assume there are lots of book 4/5 stories already underway? The Margaery/Tommen scene was REALLY good I thought, the final scene as well. By the way, the whole assassination of Joffrey plan, that must have been forged when Littlefinger negotiated the Tyrell/Lannister alliance before the Battle at the Blackwater Bay? Did they divide the kingdom between Tyrell-South and Littlefinger-North? I mean, Margaery wants to be "THE queen" and Littlefinger wants "everything". Everything about this episode made so much sense.

Canuckle
04-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Still too many story-lines going on at once to make these episodes feel cohesive... the directors are doing the best they can at trying to keep it all in but they may have been faced with an impossible task.

Getting one scene a week really degrades some of the urgency or emotion in these story arcs.

All in all, this week made up for what felt like a very filler previous episode. Also, I'm on board the confusion train with the Jamie/Cersi relationship.

Space Suicide
04-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Blu-Ray Season 3 LE Lannister slipcase bitch!

http://i.imgur.com/2zeTMLs.jpg

orestes
04-28-2014, 05:33 PM
So I wonder if Craster knew he was creating new recruits for the Great Other with each male birth? *hypothetical question*

Also, fuck you, Karl!

littlemonkey613
04-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Also, I'm on board the confusion train with the Jamie/Cersi relationship.

They really fucked it up. I have no idea what they are going for.

Conan The Barbarian
04-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Ill tell you what, I am kinda glad that the walkers dont eat the children.

orestes
04-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Episode titles for the remainder of the season:

4.5- First of His Name
4.6- The Laws of Gods and Men
4.7- Mockingbird
4.8- The Mountain and the Viper
4.9- The Watchers on the Wall
4.10- The Children

gorast
04-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Given the end of last episode, I'm very scared about that last title.

orestes
04-29-2014, 10:35 PM
I'm hoping it alludes to the children of the forest

Dr.Z
05-01-2014, 05:23 AM
I'm hoping it alludes to the children of the forest

Definitely, as one actress was announced to be cast as a child of the forest. So it's safe to say that Bran & co. will reach the cave in the last episode. But it will certainly also allude to other things, like a certain scene between Tyrion and Tywin. And probably something with the dragons as well.

slave2thewage
05-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Loved that there was so much of the true queen in this episode - Sansa, not flop Dany.

The Craster's Keep scenes were really well done imo. Bran's choice created a few man-tears.

orestes
05-04-2014, 09:08 PM
BRANDOR!

Oh, Lysa, you're so crazy!

littlemonkey613
05-04-2014, 11:11 PM
This episode was on point.

Maul
05-07-2014, 03:40 AM
Someone gives meaning to Jojen's vision? I mean the flaming hand.

theimage13
05-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Loved that there was so much of the true queen in this episode - Sansa, not flop Dany.

The Craster's Keep scenes were really well done imo. Bran's choice created a few man-tears.

I thought the beginning of the CK scene would have been more suspenseful if there had been an "N" and "SC" warning at the beginning of the episode. But knowing that there wasn't going to be any nudity or "strong sexual content", it seemed right from the get-go that no one was actually in danger of getting raped or anything like that.

slave2thewage
05-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Did the pacing feel off to anyone else tonight?

I liked the Dreadfort scenes and the last segment, but it seemed a bit forgettable tonight.

orestes
05-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Man, was that bath scene between Reek and Ramsay creepy or what?

I did a double-take when they showed Braavos during the opening credits! Mark Gatiss!

My favorite scenes were the small council, Oberyn and Varys and the last segment. My lion of Lannister!

koz-ivan
05-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Did the pacing feel off to anyone else tonight?

I liked the Dreadfort scenes and the last segment, but it seemed a bit forgettable tonight.

there was a decent amount of good stuff tonight:

1. dragons
2. dreadfort
3. stanis / davos & the iron bank.
4. varus.
5. the small council, in particular the behavior of the 2 new guys...
6. lannister family bonding.
7. the trial.

littlemonkey613
05-11-2014, 11:43 PM
Another great ep.

what do you think their angle is for shae?

Millionaire
05-12-2014, 06:28 AM
Whats the story with the broken sword on the Iron Bank's statue? Is that spoiler territory?

theimage13
05-12-2014, 07:17 AM
Man, was that bath scene between Reek and Ramsay creepy or what?

I did a double-take when they showed Braavos during the opening credits! Mark Gatiss!

My favorite scenes were the small council, Oberyn and Varys and the last segment. My lion of Lannister!

I haven't been watching regularly and I'm not a Tumblr fanboy, so despite really enjoying both Doctor Who and Sherlock, I had NO idea that Gatiss was in this. As soon as they showed him, I was just staring at someone across the room and thinking "am I going crazy, or is that Mark Gatiss?" Thankfully she'd be trying to figure out why he looked familiar, so that was an easy suspicion to confirm.

To address the pacing criticisms for this (and other) episodes: they all feel way off, if you're comparing them to the books. Tyrion's trial alone took about as much time to read as a full episode, if not longer (it's been a while since I've read that, so I don't remember for sure). In general, compressing so much novel into so little time is not easy, so the pacing will always be different. The trial, for example, did feel like it was much faster paced (and by extension, less tense and less important). But I still enjoyed the episode.

Slightly off topic: before the episode, they showed a preview for a movie and I swear it said 5/25 (a Sunday) at 9/8C. Did I miss something about it being on a different HBO channel, or will GoT not be aired that weekend? Or did I just completely misread the date?

ambergris
05-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Especially the Daenerys and Stannis storylines suffered from splicing one book into two seasons. The Daenerys storyline was really tiring when she only appeared during the last five minutes of the episode just to show us how awesome she is. I am very glad that things are getting more interesting now. And well, Stannis already realized a season ago that the true war is in the north...and does nothing. I had always assumed that "the most natural course" would be for the Bank of Braavos to support Daenerys (because they said that the bank always supports the enemies of their debtors) so that she could afford a navy, but ok...
The trial scene was obviously awesome. I loved the Shae twist.

theimage13
05-12-2014, 08:37 AM
I loved the Shae twist.

That part of the book was terrible. Not terrible as in "that was poorly written," but I just wanted to beat the ever loving shit out of her. I hated her nearly as much as Joffrey during the trial in the book. That episode's retelling was like a children's book compared to how it was written out, which I'm almost thankful for.

orestes
05-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Whats the story with the broken sword on the Iron Bank's statue? Is that spoiler territory?

No, it isn't.

gorast
05-12-2014, 10:54 AM
theimage13 : GoT isn't on that weekend, that's the "break" week.

Great episode, though a lot of the episode felt less important in the wake of the trial. Always happy to see more Stannis, though.

littlemonkey613
05-12-2014, 11:45 AM
That part of the book was terrible. Not terrible as in "that was poorly written," but I just wanted to beat the ever loving shit out of her.

Damn really? I thought she didn't owe him anything and he was a delusional fuck. I think book Tyrion is really fucked up when it comes to her actually.

Anyways I can't get over how amazing Dinklage's performance was. I've rewatched like 3 times.
Also loved the Dany scene, which was nice since hers usually annoy me. Nice to see her get checked. Also am I the only one who suspects Emilia Clarke can't act? Weirdly I think she was well cast b/c I find the character to be really wonky and I think her lack of talent brings out that side of the character. LOL but I don't think its on purpose so I kind of chuckle at that.

Loved how casually they dropped the bomb about Jorah being a spy

Preview for next week looks great as well. This might end up being my favorite season (tied with the first) when all is done.

orestes
05-12-2014, 12:34 PM
It was established in season one that Jorah was spying for Robert.

littlemonkey613
05-12-2014, 02:32 PM
It was established in season one that Jorah was spying for Robert.

Dang my bad.

skullboy0
05-12-2014, 06:24 PM
@theimage13 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=809) : GoT isn't on that weekend, that's the "break" week.

I think it's weird they have no problem airing an episode on Easter Sunday, but "oh noes, we can't run a new episode on Memorial Day weekend".

Zipfinator
05-12-2014, 06:31 PM
I think it's weird they have no problem airing an episode on Easter Sunday, but "oh noes, we can't run a new episode on Memorial Day weekend".

That's not why they're not airing it. They're airing a movie at that time instead I think. They did the same thing last year when that Liberace movie came out.

orestes
05-12-2014, 08:12 PM
I haven't been watching regularly and I'm not a Tumblr fanboy, so despite really enjoying both Doctor Who and Sherlock, I had NO idea that Gatiss was in this. As soon as they showed him, I was just staring at someone across the room and thinking "am I going crazy, or is that Mark Gatiss?" Thankfully she'd be trying to figure out why he looked familiar, so that was an easy suspicion to confirm.

You need to acquaint yourself with The League of Gentlemen, stat!

rhet
05-16-2014, 01:28 AM
Spoiler if you haven't seen the latest ep

http://youtu.be/jvHK6blDJaQ

slave2thewage
05-16-2014, 06:46 AM
You need to acquaint yourself with The League of Gentlemen, stat!

I was really hoping that Tycho was going to start yelling "THIS IS A LOCAL BANK FOR LOCAL PEOPLE" during that scene. ;)

orestes
05-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Yes! So glad they included the conversation between Oberyn and Tyrion about his first visit to Casterly Rock.

Also, nice arse, Daario.

Mr. Blaileen
05-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Great episode. This season has been great. Can't wait for the next episode.

I really wish each season was more like 13 episodes. It's hard to accept there's only 3 more left!

Baphomette
05-19-2014, 12:03 AM
Dear Hound -
Beware of people who offer to wash and sew a wound to prevent festering.
Me nem nesa.
- Khal Drogo

Landshark
05-19-2014, 12:32 AM
Did not see that ending coming. Wow.

This 2 week wait is going to suck.

Jinsai
05-19-2014, 12:33 AM
Also am I the only one who suspects Emilia Clarke can't act?

Every now and again she manages to say her lines in a way that doesn't completely rip me out of the show... but for the most part, yeah, she's terrible. Maybe I need to go back and watch the first season again, because I don't remember her performance really bothering me then. Now, everything she says seems so forced and heavy handed, and her facial expressions (she seems to have about three) are so over the top.

littlemonkey613
05-19-2014, 02:49 AM
Every now and again she manages to say her lines in a way that doesn't completely rip me out of the show... but for the most part, yeah, she's terrible. Maybe I need to go back and watch the first season again, because I don't remember her performance really bothering me then. Now, everything she says seems so forced and heavy handed, and her facial expressions (she seems to have about three) are so over the top.

I think her blank stares and inability to express herself naturally lent itself more to the wide-eyed innocence of her character in the beginning. As she is becoming more and more powerful it is getting more and more cringeworthy and hilarious....

I think it would work better if they upped the girl playing at queen aspect of her circumstances to make up for her performance issues and that way it would seem intentional, but the show runners taking her character so seriously it really sticks out like a sore thumb in a show full of great and really competent actors.

theimage13
05-19-2014, 05:48 AM
I think her blank stares and inability to express herself naturally lent itself more to the wide-eyed innocence of her character in the beginning. As she is becoming more and more powerful it is getting more and more cringeworthy and hilarious....

Perhaps I'm just naive, but I've always taken those looks to be intentional. Just because one has power, doesn't make them powerful. Having the title of "queen" doesn't magically mean you actually have the first clue what you're doing. And keep in mind, despite how she looks in the show, isn't she just a teenager? Trying leading tens of thousands of people and witnessing horrific violence on a regular basis and tell me you're not going to look a bit wide-eyed.

ambergris
05-19-2014, 07:19 AM
Emilia Clarke really needs good material. I thought her acting got better as she got more screen time during this season. She's not an actress who can steal each single short scene she's in (like Jerome Flynn AKA Bronn).
Beautiful episode btw. Some of those shots were fantastic, especially in the Eyrie. For a second, Lysa looked so much like Catelyn... and the scene in the snow, wonderful. The only thing I missed during this season so far was the chapter on Littlefinger's arrival at the Fingers. I was really looking forward to see him surrounded by sheep and goats...

orestes
05-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Perhaps I'm just naive, but I've always taken those looks to be intentional. Just because one has power, doesn't make them powerful. Having the title of "queen" doesn't magically mean you actually have the first clue what you're doing. And keep in mind, despite how she looks in the show, isn't she just a teenager? Trying leading tens of thousands of people and witnessing horrific violence on a regular basis and tell me you're not going to look a bit wide-eyed.

Not only is Dany a teenage girl but she has the added pressure if being a female leader, so she can't show any weakness at all. (Her decision making in Meereen is debatable and another issue altogether.)

Millionaire
05-20-2014, 11:49 AM
The Mountain has been recast so many times that I didn't quite know who he was when he showed up. The latest guy certainly looks like he could do damage on the battlefield, though.

Mr. Blaileen
05-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Yeah, at 6'9" and 419 pounds, this new guy is a certified beast. Even his name is badass: Hafthor Bjornsson.

Apparently, he drew interest from the Indianapolis Colts last year:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000352172/article/colts-once-flirted-with-signing-game-of-thrones-giant

Baphomette
05-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Yeah, at 6'9" and 419 pounds, this new guy is a certified beast. Even his name is badass: Hafthor Bjornsson.

I take it he's Icelandic?

orestes
05-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Yep, Christo did a profile on him last year.

orestes
06-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Excuse me while I sob uncontrollably over my sweet Dornish prince.

Jinsai
06-01-2014, 09:20 PM
holy shit... even though I knew what was coming, that was intense.

That may have been the most violent thing I've ever seen on tv, and I've seen some fucked up stuff.

orestes
06-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Yeah, that may have been worse than described in the book. My heart was in my throat the entire time.

Also, holy shit flayed man!

seasonsinthesky
06-01-2014, 09:35 PM
god dammit Oberyn.

Radiovoyr
06-01-2014, 10:27 PM
I really fucking liked that guy too.

Baphomette
06-01-2014, 10:55 PM
My eyes... My eyes...

I tried not to get attached to Pascal but goddammit... *sobs*

http://media.tumblr.com/7ff59bc374c57facab82fc4d9521ed23/tumblr_inline_n6j3hzZElG1roa007.gif

Magtig
06-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Gah! I can't get that out of my head!

It probably didn't help that I watched it on repeat.

gorast
06-02-2014, 01:08 AM
That was easily the worst thing I've ever seen. I can't get his scream out of my head.

Was it worth it, Oberyn? Was it fucking worth it?

ibanez33
06-02-2014, 02:42 AM
Oh my fucking god that was brutal. I really wanted to see more of him, too, he was so awesome :(

thelastdisciple
06-02-2014, 03:31 AM
Well i guess that's that then?

*goes to walk alone in the night to contemplate life*

sweeterthan
06-02-2014, 03:40 AM
They won't really kill Tyrion, will they? I thought the same thing about Ned Stark.

littlemonkey613
06-02-2014, 04:13 AM
Sansa killin' it.

Like DAMN Sophie Turner can act.

ambergris
06-02-2014, 06:18 AM
That goes to show what a brilliant book A Storm of Swords was. It introduces such a character like Oberyn, builds him up and then kills him. A bit of a waste, yet so powerful. About Sansa... wow, and I thought Arya is going down a dark road...

Millionaire
06-02-2014, 07:40 AM
I call that the 'Blade Runner' kill, that head thing.

Goddamnit, couldn't you yell at the Mountain about confessing from, like, five more feet away?

orestes
06-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Hubris will get you every time.

Rabbit
06-02-2014, 06:16 PM
This episode got me. I'm spent

seasonsinthesky
06-02-2014, 08:08 PM
Sansa killin' it.

Like DAMN Sophie Turner can act.

definitely, she's been absolutely killer all season.

but man is it hard to watch her in the first season. she was basically Joffrey before Joffrey got super annoying, and i'm glad her arc is so much more interesting, coloured in so many subtle shades. it was important to show how awful she was as a child, i know, i just don't want to watch it again. her character is about nuance now — that's killer.

orestes
06-02-2014, 10:54 PM
They won't really kill Tyrion, will they? I thought the same thing about Ned Stark.

"Where do whores go?"

Reaction videos are starting to crop up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vob2_MSpXQc

Alexandros
06-03-2014, 06:14 AM
Wow, that duel ending...just wow. I had a strong reaction reading this passage in the book as well but they managed to up the ante. And it's not just the violence in it, I think it's more about how effectively they portrayed Oberyn's anger and the final injustice of the whole thing. Though it's interesting to point out that my wife, who has not read the books, was more disturbed and downcast about what this means for Tyrion, while I was more disturbed about Oberyn.

Kodiak33
06-03-2014, 07:04 AM
Goddamn that was a brilliantly scripted episode. That build up to the end was fucking incredible, I've never had my heart drop so many times with any other show.

kdrcraig
06-03-2014, 07:31 AM
I agree that was even more brutal than it was in the books. I knew it was coming and still wished it wouldn't, Oberyn was such a bad ass. I didn't have HBO for a while so I binged watched the first 7 episodes of this season last week to get caught up, first time since the first season I've done that and forgot how much waiting a week for the next episode sucks. This season has been awesome though.

Millionaire
06-03-2014, 07:46 AM
I didn't have HBO for a while so I binged watched the first 7 episodes of this season last week to get caught up, first time since the first season I've done that and forgot how much waiting a week for the next episode sucks..
I got into the show late and watched the first two seasons in a couple days. This show is like a roller coaster when you experience it for the first time without waiting for new episodes. I'd imagine this season might've been more crazy viewing it as a marathon. I was thinking that one of these seasons I should wait for it to be over and view it all at once, but I don't have the patience to wait that long.

Vertigo
06-03-2014, 10:51 AM
This does feel like the best season since the first, so much has been happening. But the story's capacity for cruelty is endless, and the end of this episode was ripped straight from my nightmares. I still feel sick from it.

Millionaire
06-04-2014, 03:33 AM
I agree, this show and book has a nasty streak which, to me, isn't that far off from what people do in real life to each other. I think Tyrion's speech about the the cousin smashing beetles was about that, the capacity for cruelty. It does seem like one of the main themes of the show, why we as humans hurt and destroy when given any sort of power.

kdrcraig
06-04-2014, 06:54 AM
I think Tyrion's speech about the the cousin smashing beetles was about that, the capacity for cruelty. It does seem like one of the main themes of the show, why we as humans hurt and destroy when given any sort of power.

That speech was way too long. I just kept thinking there's under 10 minutes left and we still have to have this Mountain/Viper battle, get on with it!

Vertigo
06-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Disagree. That might be the most important monologue in Game of Thrones.

@Millionaire (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2070) , agreed, but I think it's more specific to the mindset of certain people, one which others will never understand or empathise with. The Starks had power within their realm (and beyond towards Ned's end), Varys has some power, Tyrion might be an underdog within his family but the Lannister name still makes him one of the half-dozen most powerful people on the continent. None of them were wantonly cruel.
Certain cultures bring that sort of behaviour out at its worst, though. Renaissance Italy and feudal Scotland are particularly strong examples, which happen to be Game of Thrones' primary influence.

R-Dot-Yung
06-04-2014, 08:48 AM
This might have been the best episode in the entire series so far. It really was superb from beginning to end, not a dull moment.

Also, this season is the best the show has been since season 1. Not because of what's been happening plot wise, but in the actual writing of the show. I found the last two seasons to be getting progressively "simpler", cutting back or simplyifing conversations and character development in favor of random tits and ass for no reason other than to keep facilitating that the reason people watch the show is for "Sex and Violence" which is absurdly silly.

This seasons been superb, super amped about it.

Millionaire
06-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Vertigo, I agree with you. I didn't mean everybody with power was cruel, just some.

sweeterthan
06-04-2014, 01:22 PM
"Where do whores go?"

Reaction videos are starting to crop up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vob2_MSpXQc

That was awesome. I can't decide if this is better. The spelling errors and name calling are tasteless but the level of disappointment is hilarious.
http://m.tickld.com/x/guy-goes-crazy-after-the-last-game-of-thrones-episode-this-is-the-best-status-

littlemonkey613
06-04-2014, 02:19 PM
This does feel like the best season since the first

Exactly how I feel. 2 and 3 were good but I thought 1 was easily the strongest but this season is awesome.

barkhammer
06-04-2014, 05:47 PM
That was awesome. I can't decide if this is better. The spelling errors and name calling are tasteless but the level of disappointment is hilarious.
http://m.tickld.com/x/guy-goes-crazy-after-the-last-game-of-thrones-episode-this-is-the-best-status-

I'm shocked they managed to correctly spell "Antarctica".

gorast
06-04-2014, 06:03 PM
That post was hysterical right up until he shit on Stannis. Stannis is the fucking shit. I do like how specific his "swag rating" was, though.

imail724
06-05-2014, 12:24 PM
"to add salt on a womb". Lost it.

Deadpool
06-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Does anyone else feel that the Game of Thrones TV show is maybe overly heavy on what feels like anti-catharsis? There's a lot to be said for how well written, acted, and plotted it all is -- it's utterly compelling obviously -- but at this point it's really desensitizing. I'm not even sure how crushed I am by the result of last episode's duel since there have been so many comparable moments of defeat. It's rather nihilistic, no? The GoT universe most definitely feels random and absurd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY-q4OLSQ2s&t=3m59s).

Nyx
06-06-2014, 06:38 AM
...kind of like real world, no?
That's kind of why I like it, it's unpredictable, it shits on Hollywood conventions and it won't let you relax. That's very rare in TV.

ambergris
06-06-2014, 08:33 AM
Yesterday, I watched Lord of the Rings - Return of the King on TV. It almost felt like a movie for children. Compared to GoT, it's so harmless....

Also, Game of Thrones now more successful than Sopranos:
https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones/status/474693422700593152

pigpen
06-06-2014, 08:27 PM
So, just never ever expect anything good or uplifting to happen.
Bran gets lost in the woods and dies of starvation, hodor kills himself..The shame a lonliness was too much
Jon Snow gets eaten by that cannibal guy
Arya gets raped and murdered by the hound
Sansa gets thrown through the moon door by that little kid
Dany makes an attempt for the iron throne but is crushed by the convergence of Stannis, The Wildlings, The White Walkers, and the Dornish..
They all kill each completely and the last shot is the iron throne melting in the flames of Kings Landing.

Sallos
06-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Yesterday, I watched Lord of the Rings - Return of the King on TV. It almost felt like a movie for children. Compared to GoT, it's so harmless....

Also, Game of Thrones now more successful than Sopranos:
https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones/status/474693422700593152

Im not a big fan of LotR, even though i liked the movies, but when compared to Game of Thrones...i mean, for instance the villains, i can sympathize with the Lannister's cause, or understand where they're coming from, while in LotR it's really hard to care about an 8 feet tall armored guy who can't let go of his ring, else he would die. And his big army of bad ugly orcs, it all comes out as pretty childish really.

gorast
06-08-2014, 01:26 PM
They're products of completely different times, and they're not even really in the same genre. Why are they being compared?

liquidcalm
06-08-2014, 01:29 PM
both have swords, furs and dragons!

marodi
06-08-2014, 02:42 PM
both have swords, furs and dragons!

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/32789/sean_bean_32789.jpg

somethingelse
06-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Well. That's the last time I visit this thread.

Sallos
06-08-2014, 05:02 PM
They're products of completely different times, and they're not even really in the same genre. Why are they being compared?

They're different approaches to the fantasy genre,hence the comparison, imo.

Vertigo
06-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Im not a big fan of LotR, even though i liked the movies, but when compared to Game of Thrones...i mean, for instance the villains, i can sympathize with the Lannister's cause, or understand where they're coming from, while in LotR it's really hard to care about an 8 feet tall armored guy who can't let go of his ring, else he would die. And his big army of bad ugly orcs, it all comes out as pretty childish really.

In real life, it was hard to care about a bunch of ultra-conservative racist warmongering imperialists who wanted to create an Aryan 'utopia'.
Lord of the Rings isn't a story you take at face value, pretty much everything you're reading has some metaphorical value. It immerses you in the horrors of war and the crushing weight of responsibility, the consuming nature of ambition, and the systematic eradication of bucolic rural existence.

Game of Thrones may be set in a universe strongly inspired by the Europe of Machiavelli's time, and has a fair bit to say about human nature, but ultimately it's 'just' a gripping yarn.

Sallos
06-08-2014, 05:50 PM
In real life, it was hard to care about a bunch of ultra-conservative racist warmongering imperialists who wanted to create an Aryan 'utopia'.
Lord of the Rings isn't a story you take at face value, pretty much everything you're reading has some metaphorical value. It immerses you in the horrors of war and the crushing weight of responsibility, the consuming nature of ambition, and the systematic eradication of bucolic rural existence.

Game of Thrones may be set in a universe strongly inspired by the Europe of Machiavelli's time, and has a fair bit to say about human nature, but ultimately it's 'just' a gripping yarn.

Again, imo,LotR being insipred by the WWII nazi's Germany doesn't really make a good excuse for uninteresting villain characters.

And now that i think about it, there really aren't that much interesting characters in LotR, neither heroes or villains.

renholder
06-08-2014, 07:19 PM
LotR is a fairytale. It's a totally different genre.

slave2thewage
06-08-2014, 08:59 PM
That.

Was.

FANTASTIC.

orestes
06-08-2014, 09:24 PM
"We should've stayed in that cave." :(

slave2thewage
06-08-2014, 09:46 PM
All those non-book deaths shocked me.

theimage13
06-08-2014, 10:14 PM
This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but....

Meh.

sweeterthan
06-09-2014, 12:18 PM
This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but....

Meh.

I felt the same. Some of the battle sequences reminded me of Disney rides. I really wish there was less focus on Sam & Gilly. I just don't care that much about them.

ambergris
06-09-2014, 12:21 PM
I also was a little underwhelmed. Sure, there were good moments and all that, some great camera shots, but I thought they would pack more into this episode. Maybe my expectations were too high or the book simply did it better, I don't know. I think the Battle of Blackwater was an unusually long episode back in Season 2, this one was relatively short. There's so much stuff left for episode 10, I really wonder how they will pack everything in there.

Canuckle
06-09-2014, 04:27 PM
I will echo the previous sentiments of feeling a little underwhelmed for a GoT 'Episode 9'.

I'm not sure if it's because most feel apathetic towards both the Sam and Jon Snow story-lines, or that almost every other pertinent plot point in the show seems much more interesting (except maybe the slow-roll of Bran).

Definitely setting up for a furious finish in Episode 10. Fully expecting to not see Jon for another year.

pigpen
06-09-2014, 04:58 PM
I actually thought this episode was better than the last, and pretty exciting/fun when compared to the long-winded build up and wholly disappointing end to the duel between Oberyn and The Mountain.
Maybe it's because I feel like Jon Snow is one of the more interesting characters in the show.. And the Sam/Gilly stuff was fine, mainly because I find the actress playing Gilly weirdly hot. ;)

Vertigo
06-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Meh.

I'm choosing to interpret this "meh" as an acronym for Magnificently Extraordinary Hexcellence, because that's a view I can get on board with (along with pigpen's sentiments on Gilly's hillbilly hotness).

Sallos
06-09-2014, 06:37 PM
I liked it, first decent "large" scale battle on the show, even though it had its flaws. And those giants kicked ass.

koz-ivan
06-10-2014, 12:29 AM
I also was a little underwhelmed. Sure, there were good moments and all that, some great camera shots, but I thought they would pack more into this episode. Maybe my expectations were too high or the book simply did it better, I don't know. I think the Battle of Blackwater was an unusually long episode back in Season 2, this one was relatively short. There's so much stuff left for episode 10, I really wonder how they will pack everything in there.

I kinda agree, scenes at the wall were mostly pretty good, and we did get to see a Stark direwolf in brief action for the first time in what seems like forever.

Jon starts to get some "hey I'm a badass too" time, so that was cool.

But the battle mostly felt empty, while blackwater ended with a dramatic flourish cementing the lannister's position, crushing Stanis and the attack on Tirion, this episode starts with the night's watch in jeopardy, and at the end of the episode the wildings still have almost all of their strength, and the night's watch is still holding out. - there was no real conclusion point there.

meanwhile, no updates on whatever is happening in King's Landing, or the Aerie for that matter.

Millionaire
06-10-2014, 05:59 AM
I thought it was a good episode, but the pacing didn't feel that urgent for a very urgent situation. They could've tightened up the editing, maybe make up the extra time with a scene that adds more character reactions to the aftermath, like maybe Jon Snow could bury Ygritte or show whats going on with the head guy who got stabbed. After it was over it felt like "well, alright, thats done".

kdrcraig
06-10-2014, 06:49 AM
All those non-book deaths shocked me.

I was surprised by that as well.

I thought this episode was good in its own right but I heard a lot of comparisons being made to Battle of the Blackwater before this episode aired and it did not live up to that. At least Ghost showed up for a second even if it was only to rip one dude's throat out and never appear again. Really wondering if they're going to finish this up in episode 10 or wait until season 5, leaning towards the latter I guess.

skip niklas
06-10-2014, 12:53 PM
It makes sense that the battle should be prolonged to the next episode as in the books the battle raged for a good portion. There would be a Jon chapter, then we'd get a couple others, then go back to the Wall and the battle is still raging, and then to Kings Landing, and then back to the Wall, etc. I really liked this episode, to me it was better than the BotBW though I wish we could have seen Grenn take down that giant in the tunnel.

blackholesun
06-13-2014, 01:31 AM
Just caught up on the show. Like any show, it's much better to watch in abundance rather than wait a week between episodes and a year between seasons. I think this season has been the strongest since season 1.

AgentofChaos
06-13-2014, 06:04 AM
I loved the battle. Thought it was extremely well done, and tons of fun. Really made me not as annoyed with Jon Snow, and glad that Tarley was not as useless as he has been. For one of the less appealing storylines, it was a perfect way to get me back engaged with the goings on in the north, and speculate on how it could ultimately connect with everything else. Part of me was really hoping that when Jon was holding Ygritte, that she was going to shiv him though. That would have been awesome. Just when you were starting to like Jon, bam. Romeo + Juliet double death.

Mr. Blaileen
06-15-2014, 09:07 PM
That was amazing.

slave2thewage
06-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Mixed bag for me:

Pros:
The added Brienne scene was amazing.
Cersei was everything.
The undead battle was great, albeit slightly cheesy.

Cons:
No Lady Stoneheart.
No Tysha revelations.
The scenes with Tyrion in the Tower of the Hand didn't translate as well as the books.

orestes
06-15-2014, 09:27 PM
So much crying during this episode. The goat herder's daughter! Viserion and Rhaegal! Ygritte!

Holy shit, that melee between Brienne and the Hound. (Also, hey Iceland!)

@slave2thewage (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=89) I'm just upset Tyrion didn't shoot Tywin in the groin. The one scene that I didn't like was the one between Jaime and Cersei. :( Why couldn't that have been the scene between the two of them in the Sept? Also, wtf Cersei?!!!!!!

slave2thewage
06-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Oh god, the dragons </3

orestes
06-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Daenerys' face at the end was mine. :(

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Daenerys' face at the end was mine. :(

That was so hard to watch... :(

I started reading the first book today. I'm only 15 pages in, but I plan on being caught up by the time the next season rolls around.

richardp
06-16-2014, 01:13 AM
The fight between The Hound and Brianne WAS FUCKING EPIC.

thelastdisciple
06-16-2014, 01:39 AM
Damn it must be a chore to balance all these different character branches of the story when assembling the episodes but wow definitely a wicked episode, how awesome was that scene with Brienne and the Hound?! and what about the undead skeletons attacking Bran and company? ahhhhh and and Tyrion vs. Tywin! also fucking Stannis shows up out of nowhere catching the Wildlings with their pants down what a jam packed finale. Loved every minute of it!

slave2thewage
06-16-2014, 04:03 AM
That shot of Melly through the flames was hilarious.

ambergris
06-16-2014, 06:38 AM
Fantastic episode. The change to the Hound storyline was great. He deserved it. I had already suspected that they'd fuse those two storylines because, well, there's only so much time.... So they still aren't finished with book 3.... the epilogue is missing... well, saves an actor's fee... Is Qyburn going to turn the Mountain into a sort-of zombie? I think he'll survive but I expect horrendous things. Should I read books 4 and 5? At the moment, I am leaning towards no. First I need to do my first great re-watch/re-read. And I can sort of guess what happens because people say that not much is happening in those books anyway, so I guess half of it is people getting used to their new location (and stonecold killing).
I liked that Cersei revealed it all... makes sense from a storytelling point of view. The season began with Tywin's moment of triumph, it could only go down from there. Alex Graves, director of this episode AND of the infamous rape episode, fucked it up back then. This was better.
Oh yeah, Bran is going to fly... I guess everyone knows what that is going to mean.
By the way, in my opinion, the most internally illogical thing of this whole story (apart from dragons and magic, etc... which make sense in this fantasy context) is that Jojen and Meera Reed, heirs to the swamplands, leave their home to look for some young paraplegic stranger to guide him into zombie-north and nobody cares that they've gone missing. It only makes sense if their father knew about it as well...maybe the swamp people are related to the children... Their fight by the way....awesome, reminded me of Skyrim...seriously, it was great.

koz-ivan
06-16-2014, 06:39 AM
Mixed bag for me:

Pros:
The added Brienne scene was amazing.
Cersei was everything.
The undead battle was great, albeit slightly cheesy.

Cons:
No Lady Stoneheart.
No Tysha revelations.
The scenes with Tyrion in the Tower of the Hand didn't translate as well as the books.

Cersei was good in all the scenes except the one with Tywin, that one just felt flat all around, especially considering they had established what Tywin knew about them a few weeks ago.

Danny was really on this week.

Stannis was Stannis.

of the spoiler stuff, agree strongly with points 1&3, which imho really soured my opinion of the show / season, those could have been high points to go out on, and instead... meh.

ambergris
06-16-2014, 06:51 AM
Oh yeah, one last thought... they should have made episode 9 as long as this one, with Stannis in there. Oh, and now I remember that his offer to Jon Snow also didn't make it into this episode. And there already was maybe one development too much in episode 10. Interesting choices to delay certain stuff from book 3, but already going beyond it with other things... This season could have used an eleventh episode.
Does the end of the supply of Craster's children now mean that the countdown to winter has started? When the last one underwent his/her transformation I thought that these sacrifices might have delayed winter which is why this summer has been so long. I think Gilly's child is going to become important.

Millionaire
06-16-2014, 08:29 AM
FTheir fight by the way....awesome, reminded me of Skyrim...seriously, it was great.
So did I. Also got a bit of a Zelda vibe from the tree child stuff afterwards.

Really great episode to close the season, and like others have said this, to me, is the best season since the first one. That Tarth vs. the Hound scene was great; this Alex Graves guy should do that Highlander remake they keep threatening to make, with the nice melding of brutal fighting+lush hilly scenery he did.

I see now that Cersei said "I don't care" what they were thinking when they did the rape scene a few episodes back. It was still a badly done scene, but I kind of see what the intention was now.

Conan The Barbarian
06-16-2014, 09:45 AM
Edit: nevermind

orestes
06-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Oh yeah, one last thought... they should have made episode 9 as long as this one, with Stannis in there. Oh, and now I remember that his offer to Jon Snow also didn't make it into this episode. And there already was maybe one development too much in episode 10. Interesting choices to delay certain stuff from book 3, but already going beyond it with other things... This season could have used an eleventh episode.
Does the end of the supply of Craster's children now mean that the countdown to winter has started? When the last one underwent his/her transformation I thought that these sacrifices might have delayed winter which is why this summer has been so long. I think Gilly's child is going to become important.

IIRC, Stannis didn't make the offer until after Jon is Lord Commander and Stannis is pretty much using Castle Black as his headquarters.

I've been thinking about it more and Cersei's threat to Tywin in order to protect Tommen was just stupid. Did she really think the people of King's Landing would protect their king once they realize the rumors of her and Jamie's relationship was true? Oh Cersei.

Should I read books 4 and 5? At the moment, I am leaning towards no. First I need to do my first great re-watch/re-read. And I can sort of guess what happens because people say that not much is happening in those books anyway, so I guess half of it is people getting used to their new location (and stonecold killing).

Two words: Sand Snakes. I wouldn't say "not much" happens in these books but the focus is more on political and court intrigue. I read books four and five separately but I would suggest you combine both books into one-there are sites that give a chronological chapter list to follow-because things tend to go at a slower pace in Essos.

slave2thewage
06-16-2014, 10:18 AM
A random musing (show and book spoilers contained within): Drogon not being chained implies that we will see Dany's escape from Meereen/"reunion" with the Dothraki, no? If so, ughhhhhh.

orestes
06-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Does anyone have info on the music played over the end credits because that was fantastic.

Trains
06-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Brilliant finale, very happy to have finally seen the Tyrion/Tywin death scene on screen at last. One question to those reading the novels, when does the Horn of Winter show up? I'm foggy on the details, though I seem to remember it being quite an important plot point in Storm of Swords. Do you think the writers will save it for the next season, or that they simply won't include it in the show?

orestes
06-16-2014, 02:38 PM
It was supposedly in Mance Rayder's tent Jon went to parley with him, which was later burned by Melisandre.

littlemonkey613
06-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Great ep. Great season. Cersei will forever and always be my life. <3

I understand people's complaints about the lack of Tysha stuff, but ya'll that aspect of Tyrion's character has been dead for seasons. As soon as they made Shae love him, that entire arc went out the window. Show Tyrion being so different is actually my biggest complaint about the show, but I came to terms with it I guess.. I have just been happy that the trial scenes, and the scenes this episode were more or less how I imagined them.

This ep was a great example to me of how great changes can be made to serve the show characters. That Brienne stuff was amazing.

Also I can almost forgive them for the awful Cersei/Jaime shit they pulled earlier this season b/c THAT was the sex scene I have been waiting for.

Dany shit was on point as well.

ambergris
06-17-2014, 04:53 AM
@ Orestes about books 4 and 5:

What you said actually makes me more convinced that I should read them after next season. Not that I don't like political intrigue and written epics, but I trust the TV series to filter the essence out of both books to make another kick-ass season. After that, I'll definitely read the books for the details.

Jinsai
06-17-2014, 05:43 AM
Also I can almost forgive them for the awful Cersei/Jaime shit they pulled earlier this season b/c THAT was the sex scene I have been waiting for.

I don't know... I thought it was pretty disgusting and uncomfortable. Every scene with them getting it on with each other is generally screwed up... maybe that's part of the reason I didn't think the whole controversial "rape" scene was all that shocking. It was just another fucked up moment with the Lannister twins.

kdrcraig
06-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Was that skeleton battle in the books? I do not remember it at all if it was.

That was an awesome finale, might watch it again tonight. This whole season was amazing. I can't wait to see Arya in Bravos, one of my favorite parts of the books.

Zipfinator
06-17-2014, 12:46 PM
The skeleton battle was in the books, but I don't think Jojen died unless I'm just blanking on that.

slave2thewage
06-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Does anyone have info on the music played over the end credits because that was fantastic.
Soundtrack for this season is out July 1st, so we'll probably have it then.

The skeleton battle was in the books, but I don't think Jojen died unless I'm just blanking on that.
IIRC, it was wights in the books. But you're right about Jojen, he doesn't die in that battle.

littlemonkey613
06-18-2014, 01:35 AM
It was just another fucked up moment with the Lannister twins.

Can't argue with that.

kdrcraig
06-18-2014, 11:55 AM
IIRC, it was wights in the books.

I really don't get why they would change that. I didn't remember anything about that part from the books, but 2 different people I've talked to who haven't read the books didn't really get why the skeletons were even there. They didn't know if they were guarding the tree or if they were bad guys trying to prevent anyone from getting to the tree. I think making them skeletons instead of wights both looked really dumb and was pretty confusing.

littlemonkey613
06-18-2014, 10:16 PM
II think making them skeletons instead of wights both looked really dumb and was pretty confusing.

I agree. Especially since the in canon magic couldn't even be less defined anyways.

Landshark
06-19-2014, 09:26 PM
http://funnyordie.com/m/90dc
Brilliant.

Nyx
06-20-2014, 04:34 AM
Had no idea that the GOT themed South Park episode contained a huge season 4 spoiler...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjzC2DRgEo4

Edit: around 0:41 mark

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-20-2014, 08:42 AM
I noticed that when I re-watched it the other night after the finale!

...They TOTALLY spoiled the wiener song from the books!

Dr.Z
06-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Possible Season 5 spoiler, even for book readers:

Seems like Jaqen H'ghar is returning for Season 5. Check winteriscoming.net/2014/06/23/familiar-face-returning-game-thrones-season-5/

october_midnight
06-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark) has a new interview with EW where she apparently spoils a big event regarding a certain...character (obvious spoilers for those who don't know or want to)...

You couldn’t have missed the online furor over the lack of Lady Stoneheart in the Thrones finale. Were you surprised by that attention?
I actually haven’t seen any of that. I don’t look that stuff up. I avoid it like the plague. I was totally unaware.
There was a lot of online conversation. I heard third-hand that you were basically told that it’s not likely to ever happen. Is that accurate?
Yeah, the character’s dead. She’s dead.
Do you have a preference at all—do you think Catelyn’s arc should end where it ended, or would you be into the resurrection idea?
You respect the writers’ decision. I knew the arc, and that was it. They can’t stick to the books 100 percent. It’s impossible—they only have 10 hours per season. They have got to keep it dramatic and exciting, and extraneous stuff along the way gets lost in order to maintain the quality of brilliant show.

This had better be something she is saying on purpose to throw people off....because if not, eff that noise.

skip niklas
06-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark) has a new interview with EW where she apparently spoils a big event regarding a certain...character (obvious spoilers for those who don't know or want to)...

You couldn’t have missed the online furor over the lack of Lady Stoneheart in the Thrones finale. Were you surprised by that attention?
I actually haven’t seen any of that. I don’t look that stuff up. I avoid it like the plague. I was totally unaware.
There was a lot of online conversation. I heard third-hand that you were basically told that it’s not likely to ever happen. Is that accurate?
Yeah, the character’s dead. She’s dead.
Do you have a preference at all—do you think Catelyn’s arc should end where it ended, or would you be into the resurrection idea?
You respect the writers’ decision. I knew the arc, and that was it. They can’t stick to the books 100 percent. It’s impossible—they only have 10 hours per season. They have got to keep it dramatic and exciting, and extraneous stuff along the way gets lost in order to maintain the quality of brilliant show.

This had better be something she is saying on purpose to throw people off....because if not, eff that noise.

I don't know if it's that big of a deal, honestly. All we know of LS so far is that she is hanging Frey's in the Riverlands. Maybe she has no real part to play in the grand scheme of things outside of being a vengeful zombie. Besides, with Jon Snow's resurrection coming up they could have decided to cut Stoneheart because they don't want to overplay the whole back from the dead gimmick.

kdrcraig
06-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Yeah I don't really care if that happens in the show or not

skullboy0
07-09-2014, 12:29 PM
"George R.R. Martin says fuck you to fans who say he’ll die before completing the series"

http://www.avclub.com/article/george-rr-martin-says-fuck-you-fans-who-say-hell-d-206690

http://i.imgur.com/34RtY8Z.gif

slave2thewage
07-25-2014, 05:07 PM
MARTELLS ERRYWHERE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH2ri8RhSnw

orestes
07-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Yeah, totally okay with aging up Tystane.

slave2thewage
07-25-2014, 05:39 PM
They've cut Quentyn and Arianne, since Trystane is now "the heir to Dorne". This feels weird.

orestes
07-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Noooooooooooooooo.

thelastdisciple
07-25-2014, 05:59 PM
Very excited to see Alexander Siddig and Jonathan Pryce on the show.

Baphomette
07-26-2014, 01:59 AM
They cut Arianne????

orestes
07-26-2014, 10:52 AM
I'm hoping that haven't announced her yet but it doesn't look promising.

Quentyn I can live without.

slave2thewage
07-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Quentyn is a flop and his only point in the story is to release the dragons so I assume this will be done by someone else (speculation) - perhaps this Yezzan that is appearing?

orestes
07-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Well, the Martells had bigger plans for him but that got flambéed. :p

Space Suicide
08-28-2014, 11:45 PM
https://40.media.tumblr.com/2ead92506934ab2d69ff78d317d932d2/tumblr_n2h7bgaL7W1skjsleo1_1280.jpg

SUMMER IS COMING.

-

In seriousness for FEBRUARY 17th, 2015:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/GameOfThrones_S4_BLU_e.jpg

Looks hot.

ambergris
09-04-2014, 05:20 AM
Bran Stark is not going to be in Season 5:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/03/bran-stark-game-of-thrones-season-5/

I guess not totally surprising, though I expected some flashbacks and visions preparing us for realizing that, uuhh, Bran is one of the three (maybe).

Millionaire
09-04-2014, 08:25 AM
I was wondering how they were going to handle that. Benching him for a season is a good move, I think. It'll free up more time to give the new storylines a bit more breathing room, and the Bran story will feel fresh when he comes back.

Isaac Hempstead-Wright should start lifting and come back ripped, just to make shit weird.

slave2thewage
09-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Isaac Hempstead-Wright confirmed in an interview that he starts filming on Season 5 soon.

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/09/04/isaac-hempstead-wright-confirms-appearance-season-5-game-thrones/

Baphomette
09-05-2014, 01:06 AM
Isaac Hempstead-Wright confirmed in an interview that he starts filming on Season 5 soon.
Crossing my fingers that they get the kid a new wig. His hair last season still gives me nightmares.

Croatia and That Scene With Cersei (http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/09/game-of-thrones-season-5-nude-scene-church-controversy)
No mention on whether shaving is involved. (I'm guessing it's not gonna happen.)

slave2thewage
09-05-2014, 06:44 AM
Well, the word on the street is that they're using a body double for those scenes.

Space Suicide
09-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Crossing my fingers that they get the kid a new wig. His hair last season still gives me nightmares.

Croatia and That Scene With Cersei (http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/09/game-of-thrones-season-5-nude-scene-church-controversy)
No mention on whether shaving is involved. (I'm guessing it's not gonna happen.)

http://i.imgur.com/yKKLbkf.png

Baphomette
10-08-2014, 02:06 AM
New photos! (http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/10/06/new-game-of-thrones-set-photos-tease-cersei-s-fate-2321012?lt_source=external,manual) VERY SPOILERY!

slave2thewage
11-23-2014, 05:46 PM
April 5th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_a_XCEOTjY

ambergris
12-16-2014, 02:24 PM
A 'hidden' teaser has been released:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/16/game-of-thrones-season-5-teaser_n_6333240.html

I had already suspected that this next season is going to feature a lot of 'flashbacks' and 'visions' because they have to prepare the viewers for what's coming, you know, three heads and all that, and possibly, you know, X+Y=Z.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Hodor's playing a DJ set downtown on April 9th. SO I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING APRIL 9TH.

littlemonkey613
12-17-2014, 01:28 AM
wtf are they gonna do with Cersei season 6 if they are getting to this shit so fast? I thought they'd at least have a season of her "ruling" the kingdom and slowly descending into more madness before that drama even starts....there is so much character exploration for her in Book 4. They will probably take out my fave Cersei chapter when she enacts her rape fantasy on her bed maiden lady u.u...people don't understand why she truly hated Robert so much. Grr *prays to old gods and the new

slave2thewage
12-17-2014, 02:23 AM
Praying that we get dialogue involving "Myrish swamp" and "fat pink mast".

Charmingly Miserable
01-01-2015, 06:40 PM
So I had a friend convince me to watch GOT but I do not own a tv. Where is a legit place to stream it?

orestes
01-01-2015, 06:50 PM
HBO Go or Amazon Instant Watch.

Pillfred
01-01-2015, 07:42 PM
Try the library. Really. I go to get free internets mainly but they also have a pretty decent DVD catalog. I got the first two seasons that way. I would think the one in your area would have something similar.

Mr. Blaileen
01-04-2015, 03:52 AM
A new year means we're only a few months from new 'Thrones'! With 'Better Call Saul' coming out in February, this winter/spring is going to be great for TV. Can't wait.

slave2thewage
01-04-2015, 06:17 AM
They're being a lot slower with promo for this season. WHERE IS THE TRAILER?!

Vertigo
01-04-2015, 07:51 AM
When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves, then we shall have our trailer.

Space Suicide
01-08-2015, 08:13 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10933815_10152674407817734_9122298322160119238_n.j pg?oh=81b11e382c8a3c7e58214aae854cb48d&oe=552101E4&__gda__=1433251337_84f3a1bcba0d4ecdf056e1b2960abc1 6

slave2thewage
01-08-2015, 08:27 PM
Also, there's a season 5 trailer showing with the IMAX shows of the last two episodes from season 4 that's happening from the 23rd to the 30th(?). Slightly annoying.

Radiovoyr
01-09-2015, 12:58 AM
Also, there's a season 5 trailer showing with the IAMX shows of the last two episodes from season 4 that's happening from the 23rd to the 30th(?). Slightly annoying.

Yeah, I also thought that was kind of an annoying stunt. I'm sure it will be online shortly after, but still - I think it is lame.

orestes
01-09-2015, 09:35 AM
So Coldhands isn't who we think it is. https://twitter.com/werthead/status/553574651885289472

orestes
01-20-2015, 07:30 PM
Local IMAX got picked up for the screening next week. Might go see it, depending on when HBO drops the trailer. ;)

pulse
01-20-2015, 07:35 PM
Let the hype begin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPiWD0yIWOY

Baphomette
01-30-2015, 12:12 AM
ZOMG!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6XBzwQpbbU#t=14

orestes
02-01-2015, 10:30 PM
This looked so good on IMAX.

pwing47
02-01-2015, 11:11 PM
Saw this in IMAX last night. I forgot how good the battle scene was, especially that long sweeping shot of Castle Black during the combat, and a lot of the small details that went unnoticed on the first viewing really came out on the big screen.

A big part of was also probably the fact that was in a theater environment, where talking and distractions are moreso kept to a minimum, allowing for a more immersive experience. Anyway, I wish every episode could be viewed like this!

Baphomette
02-03-2015, 05:03 AM
The fact that HBO used TV on the Radio makes the trailer even more fappier.

Space Suicide
02-12-2015, 02:09 PM
So ETS'ers...

I'm buying season 4 blu-ray right now.

Which Version should I get?

House of Martell Sigil (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/game-of-thrones-the-complete-fourth-season-martell-only--best-buy-blu-ray-digital-copy-with-bonus-disc-online-only/1213025.p?id=3311911&skuId=1213025)? Or House of Tyrell sigil (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/game-of-thrones-the-complete-fourth-season-tyrell-only--best-buy-blu-ray-digital-copy-with-bonus-disc-online-only/1213043.p?id=3311884&skuId=1213043)?

Space Suicide
02-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Martell won

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/18/33bf0f5ff1ac580662201da2e42079bf.jpg

RJK
02-18-2015, 07:03 PM
I got Martell as well. Should be waiting for me when I get home tomorrow.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Man, all I can say about this show is... WOW! For a few years, everyone has been telling me to watch this show and that I would love it and start to binge watch as soon as I started it. Man, they were right! I watched all 4 seasons in a month and it worked out perfectly since I have a month and half off of work. Season 4 seems to be my favorite out of the bunch next to 1. Character development, action, drama, comedy... What doesn't this show have?

Who is everyone's favorite characters?? Jon Snow and Tyrion seem to be my favs as of now.

pulse
02-28-2015, 11:36 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-4T7M7W4AAoZR4.jpg:large

Space Suicide
02-28-2015, 12:14 PM
Man, all I can say about this show is... WOW! For a few years, everyone has been telling me to watch this show and that I would love it and start to binge watch as soon as I started it. Man, they were right! I watched all 4 seasons in a month and it worked out perfectly since I have a month and half off of work. Season 4 seems to be my favorite out of the bunch next to 1. Character development, action, drama, comedy... What doesn't this show have?

Who is everyone's favorite characters?? Jon Snow and Tyrion seem to be my favs as of now.

All about Daenerys Targaryen. :3

Edo
03-01-2015, 03:47 AM
Jaime Lannister and T̶h̶e̶o̶n̶ Reek :)

neorev
03-01-2015, 01:11 PM
Tyrion, Bronn, & Podrick had some great moments together :D

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Shit, how did I forget about Bronn?? He's so badass. I hope he doesn't continue to sell out like he did last season.

orestes
03-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Episode titles have been announced for the first four episodes:
"The Wars to Come"
"The House of Black and White"
"The High Sparrow"
"The Sons of the Harpy"

pulse
03-09-2015, 10:29 PM
March 09, 2015
HBO Confirms Streaming Service in April
The rumors have been out there… and are now confirmed with HBO’s press release announcing it’s HBO Now service to launch in April (just in time for Game of Thrones season 5—coincidence? Don’t think so!)
Here’s the full details:

Check out and share the HBO NOW promo video at: http://youtu.be/tQEhY_MJk9M (http://www.westeros.org/GoT/?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FtQEhY_MJk9M)
HBO TO LAUNCH STANDALONE PREMIUM STREAMING SERVICE IN APRIL

APPLE TO OFFER HBO SUBSCRIPTION FOR FIRST TIME THROUGH HBO NOW

SAN FRANCISCO, March 9, 2015 – Home Box Office announced today the name of its standalone premium streaming service – HBO NOW – and that the service will launch this April, bringing the highly anticipated new product to audiences in time for the fifth season of Game of Thrones. HBO and Apple also announced that for the first time an HBO subscription will be made available directly to Apple customers through HBO NOW. HBO NOW provides instant access to HBO’s acclaimed programming. Watch every episode of every season of the best series programming, more of the biggest and latest Hollywood hit movies, original HBO Films, groundbreaking documentaries, sports and comedy and music specials. To subscribe to the streaming service HBO NOW, consumers only need the internet. Apple will give viewers the ability to enjoy HBO programming via HBO NOW. Upon launch, customers can subscribe using the HBO NOW app on their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, or directly on Apple TV for instant access. Users can purchase HBO NOW directly in-app for $14.99 a month. Upon registering, subscribers will also be able to watch at HBONOW.com. HBO will offer a 30 day introductory free trial period to new HBO NOW customers who sign up through Apple in April. HBO continues to be in discussions with its existing network of distributors and new digital partners to offer HBO NOW. At launch, HBO NOW will be available on iOS devices and on PCs. “HBO NOW is the next phase of innovation at HBO,” said Richard Plepler, chairman and CEO, HBO. “With this new partnership, a natural evolution for the network, we have access to millions of Apple customers who are used to getting their favorite apps immediately. Now, they can do the same with an HBO subscription.”

“HBO NOW offers a new generation of HBO fans many of the best TV programs in the world without a cable or satellite subscription,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. “Now, with the same simplicity as buying an app, customers can subscribe to HBO NOW and instantly start viewing their favorite HBO programs as they air – this is huge.” Similar to HBO GO, HBO NOW will offer more than 2,000 titles online. This includes current critically acclaimed series like Game of Thrones®, True Detective®, Silicon Valley®, Girls®, Veep® and The Leftovers®, as well as classics like The Sopranos®, Sex and the City®, True Blood®, The Wire® and Deadwood®. Highly-anticipated upcoming original programs like Westworld, the drama series starring Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris and Evan Rachel Wood; The Brink, the dark comedy series starring Jack Black and Tim Robbins; the new season of the Emmy®-winning True Detective with Vince Vaughn, Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams; and HBO Films’ Bessie, starring Queen Latifah, will become available on HBO NOW as they air on HBO.

In addition, HBO NOW will showcase Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, named “best of 2014” on many critics’ lists; VICE, the Emmy®-winning, cutting-edge news magazine series hosted by Shane Smith; HBO Sports documentaries, series and World Championship Boxing events; and groundbreaking documentary programming like Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst and the Oscar®-winning Citizenfour.

Home Box Office, Inc. is the premium television programming subsidiary of Time Warner Inc. and the world’s most successful pay TV service, providing the two television services – HBO® and Cinemax® – to approximately 127 million subscribers worldwide. The services offer the popular subscription video-on-demand products HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand®, as well as HBO NOW, HBO GO® and MAX GO®, HD feeds and multiplex channels. Internationally, HBO branded television networks, along with the subscription video-on-demand products HBO On Demand and HBO GO, bring HBO services to over 60 countries. HBO and Cinemax programming is sold into over 150 countries worldwide.

Jon
03-11-2015, 10:30 AM
Snagged the last copy from the local Wal-Mart

http://i57.tinypic.com/263igph.jpg

Edo
03-12-2015, 12:00 PM
New trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Bo89m2f6g

One month left to wait. Excited yet!!???

baudolino
03-23-2015, 05:23 AM
The French-German TV station Arte aired a new episode of their show "Through the night with..." starring Sibel Kekilli and George R.R. Martin.

You can rewatch it for another 7 days on Arte +7. They speak english (more or less).

http://www.arte.tv/guide/de/051875-008/durch-die-nacht-mit

henryeatscereal
03-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Not sure if posted before but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjvEdXDYgY4

The replay button is raped...

implanted_microchip
03-23-2015, 02:06 PM
henryeatscereal I think they did one of those for Breaking Bad as well. The Jon Snow training montage was also pretty amazing if you've not seen it.