PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

eversonpoe
01-10-2017, 09:31 AM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb112/nzn_2007/KasseMilkyWayDream.jpg

is that what milky ways look like in germany? that's much more attractive than our weird brown & green labels

https://www.milkywaybar.com/Content/images/products/large/im_product_1.jpg

joplinpicasso
01-10-2017, 09:51 AM
I want to say again that I almost forgot how much I loved the artwork attached to Ghosts. For instance, here's the photograph for "11 Ghosts":

http://www.nin.wiki/images/b/bc/11_ghosts_II.jpg

eversonpoe
01-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Weird. I don't remember that one.

there are higher res and 16:9 formatted images on the blu-ray as companions to the music. i think some of them are different than the images attached to the songs in itunes.

baudolino
01-10-2017, 10:46 AM
is that what milky ways look like in germany? that's much more attractive than our weird brown & green labels

right, they are blue here in Germany

Dr Channard
01-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Just once, I’d love to see Trent randomly show up at an TNAW event, tear his shirt off and flex at the audience while The Great Destroyer blasts over the sound system, and then he proceeds to suplex the hell out of an unsuspecting Billy Corgan.

Khrz
01-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Just once, I’d love to see Trent randomly show up at an TNAW event, tear his shirt off and flex at the audience while The Great Destroyer blasts over the sound system, and then he proceeds to suplex the hell out of an unsuspecting Billy Corgan.

So, between you and tony.parente, is there an international "get-high-as-a-kite day" we should have been aware of?

Papagolash
01-10-2017, 01:35 PM

Would be more fitting if he were doing that to Dixie Carter, while the whole crowd chants "delete!"

SchwarzerAbt
01-10-2017, 01:55 PM

Wow, indeed. That is ugly. And it doesn't even look remotely like the milky way. For once I prefer the German version on this! :D

https://www.candyhouse.de/images/produkte/i40/40470-Milky-Way-Minis-Schokoriegel.jpg

ziltoid
01-10-2017, 02:17 PM
So, between you and @tony.parente (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2107) , is there an international "get-high-as-a-kite day" we should have been aware of?

I think he's mis-remembering events of Celebrity Deathmatch with his own drug induced dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryzJuL01BY

joplinpicasso
01-10-2017, 03:02 PM
I think he's mis-remembering events of Celebrity Deathmatch with his own drug induced dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryzJuL01BY

My normal fan brain thinks this is weird as hell. On another level, I love how younger TR is his hype man in the corner.

Jon
01-10-2017, 04:11 PM
there are higher res and 16:9 formatted images on the blu-ray as companions to the music. i think some of them are different than the images attached to the songs in itunes.

The photography varies between the embedded files, the PDF, and the Blu-ray. The photography on the Blu-ray is presented as a slideshow, so most (all?) of the 1920x1080 Blu-ray images circulating out there are screencaps rather than extracted image files.

Not sure why the Blu-ray versions aren't on ninwiki (http://www.nin.wiki/The_Photography_of_Ghosts_I%E2%80%93IV).

Ryan
01-11-2017, 02:12 AM
Anyone wish they stuck with "Quiet" instead of "Still"? I don't, but I'm just asking to make a reason to post this mock-up that some people might not have seen when that title was being considered.

http://www.nin.wiki/images/thumb/c/cd/Halo17_quiet.jpg/584px-Halo17_quiet.jpg

seasonsinthesky
01-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Anyone wish they stuck with "Quiet" instead of "Still"? I don't, but I'm just asking to make a reason to post this mock-up that some people might not have seen when that title was being considered.

I prefer Quiet actually, but that mockup art is godawful. Very thankful they changed it.

eversonpoe
01-11-2017, 10:20 AM
the first tattoo i ever wanted to get (back when i was 12 and first got into NIN) was some kind of NIN-related tattoo. but i could never decide on anything, and so, for the last 11 years that i've been getting tattoos, i haven't gotten one. well, i finally changed that yesterday, sort of as a belated 30th birthday present to myself.

http://68.media.tumblr.com/520d2beea6500dd910950e0b8e4a9e30/tumblr_ojl717awFF1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

"the great below" has always been one of my favorite songs, and i've always found the lyrics incredibly powerful. this line, especially, is very meaningful to me.

i spent 16 years of my life (8-24) being depressed. when i was trying to bring myself out of it, but i had an extremely difficult time. i've likened it to the depression being like a blanket full of holes; no, it doesn't keep you that warm, but you're used to it, and it's yours, so you don't want to let it go, even if it's also causing you pain.

i realized that, while that's a good metaphor, the idea of it being like drowning makes more sense. every time i would try to breach the surface of the water, the undertow would pull me back in, but there was something comforting about it. thus, "in arms of undertow" seemed like an apt way to describe it, so i finally have a (beautiful) NIN tattoo.

ultimatebdp
01-11-2017, 10:26 AM

http://www.nin.wiki/images/thumb/c/cd/Halo17_quiet.jpg/584px-Halo17_quiet.jpg

Cool artwork!! I've never seen that, but there's nothing quiet about the end of the amazing "acoustic" version of The Becoming!!

Henrie_Schnee
01-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Watching the beginning of the US president elects first press conference. And for some reason, hearing Mike Pence voice making that buzzword heavy introduction made me think about the announcer in BallgameOver.mp3...

scorpiusdiamond
01-11-2017, 01:03 PM
This is goooooood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0ojX1-API (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0ojX1-API)

Lerxto
01-11-2017, 08:24 PM
What if The Idea Of You was actually a WT outtake, so they just reused the Grohl drum take from that original song and re-built the music to make it fit to the NTAE style?

Ryan
01-11-2017, 08:35 PM
I prefer Quiet actually, but that mockup art is godawful. Very thankful they changed it.

Quiet is good, but then it would take away from the song title "Gone, Still" IMO. But that's just my crazy brain's opinion.

sick among the pure
01-12-2017, 02:16 AM
Watching the beginning of the US president elects first press conference. And for some reason, hearing Mike Pence voice making that buzzword heavy introduction made me think about the announcer in BallgameOver.mp3...

America is born again.

Kulerage
01-12-2017, 08:19 AM
I still want that non-instrumental of The March.

joplinpicasso
01-12-2017, 09:05 AM
i definitely think the best part of the new yahoo interview (https://www.yahoo.com/music/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-on-patriots-day-new-nine-inch-nails-ep-and-how-social-media-creates-a-toxic-environment-for-music-222940245.html) is this bit:

That's seriously the photo the editors went with?

ChipRock
01-12-2017, 09:20 AM
I just did a google search, and it turns out there are plenty of decent photos of Trent and Atticus together. LOL at NY Times getting the wrong 'other guy' too... Oh well, all press is good press...

Edit: Re: Vitenam score - it will include 'reworked bits from Nine Inch Nails songs and their scores for “The Social Network” and “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”' - this is going to drive people (ie me) nuts.

Harry Seaward
01-12-2017, 09:29 AM
i definitely think the best part of the new yahoo interview (https://www.yahoo.com/music/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-on-patriots-day-new-nine-inch-nails-ep-and-how-social-media-creates-a-toxic-environment-for-music-222940245.html) is this bit:

We’ve been f***ing around with 80 pieces of music, some of which may show up in some fashion here and there.

I wonder how much of that includes the 32 Patriot Day songs, the 6 NtAE songs, or the handful of new TFD1 songs.

Harry Seaward
01-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Also, this sounds super rad, depending on how integrated or obvious these sounds are in the music:

The filmmakers also provided field recordings from the period to inspire the compositions. “Mortars, helicopters, people talking — we would process those sounds and use them as rhythmic starting points,” Mr. Ross said.

eversonpoe
01-12-2017, 09:47 AM
I wonder how much of that includes the 32 Patriot Day songs, the 6 NtAE songs, or the handful of new TFD1 songs.

that's when they were specifically talking about NIN material, and new material, at that, so i think the only things it would include from your list are the NTAE songs.

Shadaloo
01-12-2017, 10:06 AM
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22746-the-fragile-2017-definitive-edition-the-fragile-deviations-1/

pitchfork redeeming themselves this time around with The Fragile

Here, new tracks “One Way to Get There,” “Taken,” and “+Appendage,”

Baaahahaaa

Still, I suppose Appendage really is is a bit of a deeper cut only the crazies like us remain aware of to this day. Good to see them try and clean up their dirty laundry, and the love for 10 Miles High is nice. :D

telee.kom
01-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Interview about The Vietnam War documentary.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/arts/music/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-ken-burns-vietnam.html?referer=

He also says NIN is priority in 2017 though

So which one is it? NIN is priority this year or no NIN releases this year?

xolotl
01-12-2017, 11:52 AM

Could be both, I suppose - he wants to focus on writing new NIN, but doesn't expect (or at least doesn't want to promise) that he'll have an actual full album ready for 2017. Sometimes albums take awhile to gestate!

Edit: I suppose, also, that focusing on NIN this year is going to include doing the Definitive Editions of YZ, Slip, and WT, and possibly other archival/revisit tasks that have been sitting on his plate for awhile. 'cmon Tension official video release! *stares wistfully into the middle distance*

Reaps
01-12-2017, 12:11 PM
The Fragile is still refered to as a '2xCD Disaster' in the With Teeth review on Pitchfork so your still allowed to shout at them if you like to do that.

Khrz
01-12-2017, 12:27 PM
Cunts, Still.

#newtracknames.

Deepvoid
01-12-2017, 12:28 PM

He never said a new album was coming out. He said two major releases.

I will get my hopes up again for Tension Blu-Ray.

WorzelG
01-12-2017, 12:35 PM
The Fragile is still refered to as a '2xCD Disaster' in the With Teeth review on Pitchfork so your still allowed to shout at them if you like to do that.

Despite the Fragile diss the way the With Teeth review is worded sounds more than the 6.5 score

WorzelG
01-12-2017, 01:31 PM
That was before the relative love fest that began around 2007, and excluded Ghosts. Reviews notwithstanding, the coverage during 2008 and 2009 was colossal in volume and generally super-positive.

Sounds like the positivity coincided with NIN going independent

botley
01-12-2017, 02:03 PM
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for a recap, but I'm feeling oddly nostalgic for ten years ago, so...

There was a marked up-tick in the positive way that online press covered NIN, coinciding with the reaction to Year Zero ARG activities and the online fan interaction it relied upon. But the rhetoric around Net Neutrality, Copyleft and so forth around that time also happened to align with TR's stance against Interscope price-gouging the Australian release of Year Zero in Spring '07. NIN wasn't truly independent until after the Year Zero remix album came out later that year, but whether that specific news had anything to do with it is hard to say. Ghosts, the NIN iPhone app, remix site, etc. all followed in pretty short order, each receiving amazingly positive coverage.

Vertigo
01-12-2017, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I think Trent's heavy online interaction at the time generated a larger, intensely involved community that spilled a long way beyond the usual fansites, creating a groundswell of interest and goodwill that crept into the wider media conversation. I wonder if the Social Network OST might not have won the Oscar if it was released today.

(Don't get me wrong, it's the most deserving winner of recent years IMO, but the subsequent scores haven't even been nominated.)

joplinpicasso
01-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Maybe there is some credence to the drums in "TIOY" having already been recorded many years ago. Grohl hasn't said anything about lately working with TR, correct? But, I'm convinced the lyrics and song itself are newly composed for many reasons.

Khrz
01-12-2017, 02:55 PM
I actually have been wondering if most of the elements from NTAE hadn't been lifted or cannibalised from old TF and WT sessions. I think Reznor and Ross have reused assets that never quite found a place, put them in a blender and gave us what it spit out.
I even wonder if the whole thing isn't just a huge crazy collage, which IMO would be brilliant.

implanted_microchip
01-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I think Trent's heavy online interaction at the time generated a larger, intensely involved community that spilled a long way beyond the usual fansites, creating a groundswell of interest and goodwill that crept into the wider media conversation. I wonder if the Social Network OST might not have won the Oscar if it was released today.

(Don't get me wrong, it's the most deserving winner of recent years IMO, but the subsequent scores haven't even been nominated.)

To be fair, at the time TSN really ushered in this idea that the classic orchestral score was no longer necessary for a "serious" movie and you could abscond a ton of scoring traditions. It was fresh, it was urgent, it was unheard of in that kind of a movie and it was new. It was a really unique, charged moment that symbolized a general industry shift, and since then we've been hearing it get used as an influence at best and straight-up stolen at worst in movie and television scores the world over. None of the subsequent scores have really had as large an impact or been seen as such a game-changer like TSN was.

(That said I still think Gone Girl deserved at least a nomination and it's a crime that entire movie didn't get more attention)

BRoswell
01-12-2017, 03:05 PM
I actually have been wondering if most of the elements from NTAE hadn't been lifted or cannibalised from old TF and WT sessions. I think Reznor and Ross have reused assets that never quite found a place, put them in a blender and gave us what it spit out.
I even wonder if the whole thing isn't just a huge crazy collage, which IMO would be brilliant.

Trent mentioned in his most recent interview that it came about because Trent and Atticus started using some guitars and effects they hadn't used in a while, so I'm guessing it's not so much old tracks that have been repurposed, but older equipment that Trent and Atticus used and approached in a new, yet familiar way.

seasonsinthesky
01-12-2017, 03:09 PM
Trent mentioned in his most recent interview that it came about because Trent and Atticus started using some guitars and effects they hadn't used in a while, so I'm guessing it's not so much old tracks that have been repurposed, but older equipment that Trent and Atticus used and approached in a new, yet familiar way.

The official phrasing is that they realized they didn't have to keep avoiding old styles to make good new stuff. They could write a song in the style of TDS (presumably "She's Gone Away") or WT (presumably "The Idea of You") without retreading anything. This led to using synths and stuff they haven't used in a while, as you say, but the instruments themselves were not the catalyst.

It also appears to bear some of the fruit from TR's "write a song in the style of another band" approach over the last year, which is probably why BB(FOF) sounds so much like Boris.

fillow
01-12-2017, 03:19 PM
I wonder if anything TR says in these interviews regarding new album/tour is in fact 'not the actual events'.

sick among the pure
01-12-2017, 04:03 PM
I wonder if anything TR says in these interviews regarding new album/tour is in fact 'not the actual events'.

Probably less "not the actual events" of what's going on, and more "trying to be proactive in not announcing specifics until everything is set and ready".
Like, with the touring question. He doesn't say "No NIN will not be touring this year" he very specifically says "nothing is planned right now". Which I feel like is pretty much what he says every time he is in the process of planning a tour, but not everything is set yet to announce it. Because honestly, when has Trent ever but the time and energy and headache into a live show (especially one as big, logistically, as a festival show) and only had ONE show? He basically gave his typical non-answer of "I don't want to tell you anything yet, so just chill out for right now."

Hell, considering Kraw alluded to new merch "#soon", things ARE in forward motion. There would be no reason to put out NTAE shirts and such a month or more after the EP dropped. But to have them ready for the merch stand at shows? That makes sense.

The new album replies are likely because he felt a bit of a last minute crunch toward the end in getting NTAE out to us (I have no doubt that it was finished, production-wise, but just that the actual distribution may have been a little rushed, which is what led to the e-mail problems, etc). He may have finally learned his lesson about giving definite answers when it comes to releases, we all know how he likes to mention something he's working on, while he's working on it, and then either it gets scrapped, or turns into something else, or gets put on hold, or just takes longer than he expected. If this is the case, I can't say that I blame him.

Of course, I'm probably just talking out of my ass. NIN fans are known to speculate, pick at every little perceived detail, and come up with theories all the time. And on the flip side, Trent likes to fuck with us, be secretive, and do things we never would have guessed or expected. It's pretty much impossible to guess what happens next with NIN. But that's not a bad thing.

Your Name Here
01-12-2017, 05:23 PM
I'm curious, when they release the "With Teeth" DE if it will include the tracks "Home" and "Non-Entity".

BRoswell
01-12-2017, 06:51 PM
I'm curious, when they release the "With Teeth" DE if it will include the tracks "Home" and "Non-Entity".

Home is a good possibility since it was on the vinyl.

scorpiusdiamond
01-12-2017, 07:51 PM
The only thing I prefer about Robin over Aaron being in NIN is Reptile because Robin’s vocals are mind blowingly good, whereas Aaron just monotoned the whole thing.
But that’s the only thing, because otherwise Aaron kicks serious Robin ass.

TheRealNs1
01-12-2017, 08:03 PM
The only thing I prefer about Robin over Aaron being in NIN is Reptile because Robin’s vocals are mind blowingly good, whereas Aaron just monotoned the whole thing.
But that’s the only thing, because otherwise Aaron kicks serious Robin ass.

What, you didn't like Finck's moves on Come Back Haunted? I love when hard rock guitarists dance on stage because they have no guitar riffs to play and nowhere to hide. If only '99 Finck couuld see this. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilQhPeSBAI8

scorpiusdiamond
01-12-2017, 08:16 PM
What, you didn't like Finck's moves on Come Back Haunted? I love when hard rock guitarists dance on stage because they have no guitar riffs to play and nowhere to hide. If only '99 Finck couuld see this. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilQhPeSBAI8

I think Aaron would've just done this...

https://media.giphy.com/media/wfe8S88msQsWA/giphy.gif

And can you imagine him wailing all over Came Back Haunted? It fits perfectly with his style

virushopper
01-13-2017, 12:36 PM
With all this talk about festival appearances, I'm hoping Trent and co. will perform at FYF this year.

simonn
01-13-2017, 04:21 PM
I love the fact that I look at 'users currently online' and 'the man whose name shall not spoken' is listed, and you can even see what thread he's looking at right now. I know I've probably broken some sort of code, and my wife'll say 'he's a human being just like you' but, fuck it, 'he' is amongst us as I type. I like that shit!

Archive_Reports
01-13-2017, 04:26 PM
I love the fact that I look at 'users currently online' and 'the man whose name shall not spoken' is listed, and you can even see what thread he's looking at right now. I know I've probably broken some sort of code, and my wife'll say 'he's a human being just like you' but, fuck it, 'he' is amongst us as I type. I like that shit!

https://media.makeameme.org/created/settle-down-beavis-935eud.jpg

InvitingmeAway
01-13-2017, 05:19 PM
If you go into any public bathrooms, make sure to check for any usb flash drives

sheepdean
01-13-2017, 05:35 PM
If you go into any public bathrooms, make sure to check for any usb flash drives
Man, don't put random USBs into your computer. Like, I know that was cool in the ARG but do you know how easy it is to get a virus that way

Khrz
01-13-2017, 06:13 PM
Man, don't put random USBs into your computer. Like, I know that was cool in the ARG but do you know how easy it is to get a virus that way

Especially public bathrooms USB sticks, who knows whose ports they've been plugging ?

wizfan
01-13-2017, 06:27 PM
Especially public bathrooms USB sticks, who knows whose ports they've been plugging ?

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/img/070222_flashdrive.jpg

TheRealNs1
01-13-2017, 06:48 PM
NIN fans will never cease to amaze me.

Khrz
01-13-2017, 06:51 PM
NIN fans will never cease to amaze me.

We're witty and creative.

neorev
01-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Someone an NIN fan/not talented enough to come up with their own set design????
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=orGFHNQQoRI

TheRealNs1
01-13-2017, 07:55 PM

I didn't know NIN started selling audio/visual templates for live shows.

There's being inspired, and then there's that

Corona Radiata
01-13-2017, 08:00 PM
Adrian Below needs to come back. (Keep Robin too of course)

seasonsinthesky
01-13-2017, 08:31 PM

Indeed, so he can play backwards guitar on perennial classic, "The Great Belew."

nooneimportant
01-13-2017, 08:35 PM

I wouldn't even call that being inspired man, that's just a straight up rip.

neorev
01-13-2017, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't even call that being inspired man, that's just a straight up rip.

Pretty f'ed up. I see NIN Hotline posted it and it got a reaction from Rob Sheridan. Go after this f--ker!

thirty_three
01-13-2017, 09:12 PM

Wow, only thing missing is his name/logo flashing down at the end of the... oh: https://www.instagram.com/p/BINX47RBffK/

InvitingmeAway
01-13-2017, 09:25 PM
It's a dangerous game to play

SchwarzerAbt
01-14-2017, 02:45 AM
The soundtrack CD releases are kind of mysterious, imho. I just ordered Before the Flood on amazon as the price went down from 48 € to 34 €. Which is still a lot but kind of justifiable for a 2 disc package. Still not much details (like track listing, cover art or even the full list of artists) in the description. It also says "ready for delivery in 1 - 2 months and of course no auto-rip. So the waiting continues. But I am eager to see if it will really arrive here some day.

But that means that there is still hope for a Patriots Day CD. So I will wait some time before buying that in digital form too. Hmm...

To make up for the wait I also ordered Scary Monsters, Recoiled and the Sin single. So I will have something new to listen to in the meantime. :)

mauro995
01-14-2017, 05:01 AM
I would not mind if Trent brings young blood to the live band, especially for guitar, I love Robin but at the same time I have the feeling that I would enjoy something new. The idea that the guitarist might be a girl, as was discussed in another thread of this forum, would seem interesting and would also allow us to hear live the second voice of She's Gone Away in the chorus, or the spoken verses in french from La Mer, or even The Great Collapse.

r_z
01-14-2017, 05:24 AM
The Internet is giving voice to everybody thinking that someone gives a s*** what they have to say and they have the right. I think, in general, that has created a toxic environment for artists and led to some very safe music. I see a lot of people making formulaic, made to please, vegan restaurant patron-type s***.
TR reviewing the new The XX album?

wizfan
01-14-2017, 06:23 AM
I would not mind if Trent brings young blood to the live band, especially for guitar, I love Robin but at the same time I have the feeling that I would enjoy something new.

I want Aaron back. His ability to create melodic chaos, and not just sonic chaos, is what a live rendition of NTAE sorely needs.

witte
01-14-2017, 06:43 AM
Home is a good possibility since it was on the vinyl.
it's on the UK cd release

sweeterthan
01-14-2017, 06:56 AM
I want Aaron back. His ability to create melodic chaos, and not just sonic chaos, is what a live rendition of NTAE sorely needs.

Agree the new stuff is perfect for his style but I doubt he'll be back with nin ever.

Lew
01-14-2017, 08:47 AM
Indeed, so he can play backwards guitar on perennial classic, "The Great Belew."

qotd.
lololololol...
thanks!

witte
01-14-2017, 08:56 AM
TR reviewing the new The XX album?
I hope

Ryan
01-14-2017, 09:56 PM

I vote you as the new meathead.

Ryan
01-15-2017, 01:13 AM
lol, it probably is.

wizfan
01-15-2017, 03:24 AM
lol, it probably is.

Yeah, it is. (http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp070222.htm) But it's always been my dream to become the new Meathead. I even tried to make cartoons like him ten years ago. Have you ever seen my unfinished Flash animation version of The Broken Movie? (https://www.facebook.com/wizfrikiman/videos/10208670787462744/?permPage=1)

sweeterthan
01-15-2017, 06:52 AM
Still, I'll second almost any nomination, as long as it gets us a new Meathead.

There will never be another. RIP meathead.

Hyperpower
01-15-2017, 11:43 AM
Yeah, it is. (http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp070222.htm) But it's always been my dream to become the new Meathead. I even tried to make cartoons like him ten years ago. Have you ever seen my unfinished Flash animation version of The Broken Movie? (https://www.facebook.com/wizfrikiman/videos/10208670787462744/?permPage=1)

i logged in just to like hit like on this post lol omg... too funny :)

mfte
01-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Agree the new stuff is perfect for his style but I doubt he'll be back with nin ever.

Especially after that article that had him dealing with possible mental issues and living in his truck.

Kulerage
01-15-2017, 04:30 PM
Love the Year Zero Trailer refernce

wizfan
01-15-2017, 06:33 PM
Love the Year Zero Trailer refernce

Thanks, I had made it back in 2007, when YZ was still fresh. :D

xolotl
01-15-2017, 09:20 PM
I was pleased over the weekend while playing Codenames (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/178900/codenames) that I was able to give the clue "Trent 3" to match the words Band, Nail, and Slip that were out on the board. (And that the person I was hoping would get it did so!)

Yeah, I know, I lead a pretty rockstar kind of life.

ManBurning
01-16-2017, 02:45 AM

Come back? He never even made it passed rehearsals.

There will never be another. RIP meathead.

He really needs to come out of retirement. He's been missing some good opportunity's over the last few years.

sweeterthan
01-16-2017, 07:00 AM
This pic brings all the fan girl feels https://instagram.com/p/BPTdrDVj4dW/ [emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wizfan
01-17-2017, 10:45 AM
The lyric "The flies come roaring out and will surround the entire world" on Burning Bright (Field On Fire) makes me wish there was a Blu-ray of The Downward Spiral in 11.1 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, so I could hear the flies on the title track literally above my head.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
01-17-2017, 12:15 PM
http://www.alternativenation.net/trent-reznor-rips-pitchfork-bad-nine-inch-nails-review/

anybody have a link to the IG post where TR calls pitchfork cunts?

WorzelG
01-17-2017, 12:26 PM
http://www.alternativenation.net/trent-reznor-rips-pitchfork-bad-nine-inch-nails-review/

anybody have a link to the IG post where TR calls pitchfork cunts?

It seems to have been removed

HWB
01-17-2017, 12:33 PM
https://i.imgur.com/69DyOVN.png

Screen cap (not by me) for the curious ones. It has been removed recently, the instagram photo which Trent commented that is, I kind of saw it coming that it would be removed though.

Not sure if I should be sharing this, perhaps there is a reason why it was removed.

Kulerage
01-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Ah HA! now that i can get behind.
Some of us actually liked Hesitation Marks :(

Kulerage
01-17-2017, 01:54 PM
https://i.imgur.com/69DyOVN.png

Screen cap (not by me) for the curious ones. It has been removed recently, the instagram photo which Trent commented that is, I kind of saw it coming that it would be removed though.

Not sure if I should be sharing this, perhaps there is a reason why it was removed.
I only NOW see what kraw said about the scores. That's gold

elevenism
01-17-2017, 03:07 PM
Some of us actually liked Hesitation Marks :(

i fucking LOVE hesitation marks, don't get me wrong. I LOVE HM and TS and YZ.
But i would also love a return to form.

I would also love trent with cellos and harpsichords and shit.

I am a fanboy.

Kyle
01-17-2017, 03:11 PM
i fucking LOVE hesitation marks, don't get me wrong. I LOVE HM and TS and YZ.
But i would also love a return to form.

I would also love trent with cellos and harpsichords and shit.

I am a fanboy.

I want him to make an album using only sounds generated by Mario Paint.

elevenism
01-17-2017, 03:34 PM
i want YOU to make such an album.

Come with it.

Kyle
01-17-2017, 03:55 PM
I am not currently in possession of an SNES

Kulerage
01-17-2017, 04:06 PM
http://img14.deviantart.net/f5c9/i/2005/074/4/2/nine_inch_nails_tendo_by_tearatone.jpg

elevenism
01-17-2017, 05:32 PM
when i was in middle school, people called me Nintendo boy for wearing NIN shirts. This was before TDS came out.

Kyle
01-17-2017, 08:10 PM
https://www.mariowiki.com/Reznor

Oop.Yarrz
01-17-2017, 09:49 PM
I am not currently in possession of an SNES

mario paint is free to play online right here

http://emulator.online/snes/mario-paint/

sick among the pure
01-17-2017, 09:59 PM
Re: Mario Paint NIN album
If you guys haven't checked out Pretty 8 Machine (https://inversephase.bandcamp.com/album/pretty-eight-machine-se), I highly suggest it.

Shadaloo
01-19-2017, 01:45 PM
How did I not know the WT AND Tension rehearsals were even a thing until like these last two weeks? Did I make some shitbrained decision to not spoil HM for myself and ignore it 3 years ago or something? Or is this what happens when I get stuck in a rut of being unable to leave the Musical Revolution forums?

What was I ON?

Anyway enjoying now

butter_hole
01-19-2017, 06:12 PM
I wonder if those USB discoveries back in 2007 were actually plants by the NIN camp just to ensure the ARG got off the ground running. Was the person who discovered it a nobody, or a big time member here or anything? Does anyone remember?

eversonpoe
01-19-2017, 06:22 PM
I wonder if those USB discoveries back in 2007 were actually plants by the NIN camp just to ensure the ARG got off the ground running. Was the person who discovered it a nobody, or a big time member here or anything? Does anyone remember?
slave2thewage didn't you find one of them?

slave2thewage
01-19-2017, 06:32 PM
@slave2thewage (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=89) didn't you find one of them?

The In This Twilight one at Manchester, yes. Loads of ETS regulars from the old days got the ones at Brixton at well with the Survivalism videos.

sick among the pure
01-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I remember there was a "group photo" of a bunch of people's hands holding the USB sticks and one of the AIR/OSR flyers from on the rail of the show. I was SO MAD that all the cool stuff was going on overseas and I was not financially stable enough to go over and experience it.
The very first one may have been a plant, to get fans to look for and grab them, I don't remember who found the very first one and posted online (I think it was My Violent Heart?) what was on it, but I know a lot of "legit" ETS members found them.

Kamelion
01-20-2017, 03:18 AM
Ran across this in my NIN files again today - thought I'd share :).

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/Kamelion69/nottruefan_zpsii6wigdm.jpg

ChipRock
01-20-2017, 05:29 AM
Maybe more about life than Nine Inch Nails specifically, but I've just pulled out my Survivalism CD single to play, and I realise that it's nearly ten years old but looks absolutely brand new.
So... a) time goes by really very quickly once you hit 30 b) I guess by 2007 CDs were basically over (my With Teeth era CDs are looking pretty good, but you can see they've at least been used).

Disassociative
01-20-2017, 06:42 AM
Maybe more about life than Nine Inch Nails specifically, but I've just pulled out my Survivalism CD single to play, and I realise that it's nearly ten years old but looks absolutely brand new.
So... a) time goes by really very quickly once you hit 30 b) I guess by 2007 CDs were basically over (my With Teeth era CDs are looking pretty good, but you can see they've at least been used).

All the ones I purchased brand new are still in pretty good condition - almost like new. Except my Year Zero CD is sort of stuck between black and white now :c it still whitens in my DVD drive or stereo but it never truly fades back to black.

Kulerage
01-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Was listening to "Vessel" when I saw Trump said the oath.

r_k_f
01-20-2017, 01:06 PM
Was listening to "Vessel" when I saw Trump said the oath.
When I heard the prospect of the Year Zero tv show was squashed, I had no idea it was because it was going to play out in real life...

sick among the pure
01-20-2017, 01:28 PM

After having to re-purchase The Fragile from over-use (both for CD wear and package wear), I decided to rip all my NIN cds and keep them on display rather than open them all the time and switch out CDs. I still often have times where I will sit there and listen and look over the packaging, I love the artwork used not only as cover images, but inside, the cd itself, the cd backing, the back, the booklet, everything about it. That's the one thing that, while I understand the idea of not putting out cds anymore because that's not how a lot of people listen to music anymore (see above, where I ripped all the songs off my cds, lol), I will miss having that experience with NTAE and I'm assuming future releases.
I am a huge art nerd, and see the package as an extension of the music (almost like the second half of the finished release). I have a bigger collection of artwork surrounding the releases (promo posters, shirts, etc) than the halos themselves. Hell, I technically don't have a complete collection of one of every halo, but I have enough wearable art to go more than a month without having to wash a single shirt. My walls have been covered in framed album flats and promotional posters for almost 15 years now.

I am not ashamed of how many "likes" i've given to the "favorite NIN art" topic, and can't actually bring myself to post my favorite in it.

When I heard the prospect of the Year Zero tv show was squashed, I had no idea it was because it was going to play out in real life...

ARG?

(I am wearing my "used to stand for something" shirt today and tomorrow, and making plans for getting my AIR flag tattoo touched up, the fill isn't as solid as I'd like)

Kulerage
01-20-2017, 02:23 PM
There is nothing I don't love about Mariqueen retweeting this:
http://i.imgur.com/fnMtbF8.png

implanted_microchip
01-20-2017, 03:37 PM
The duo of Ruiner -> Burn on the Performance 2007 Tour is among the best transitions in NIN live history

BenAkenobi
01-20-2017, 04:12 PM
It surely won't lead us anywhere constructive, but Branches/Bones, Hyperpower! and The Wake-up (HTDA) are all 1'42'' long.

Ouch, nevermind....

BRoswell
01-20-2017, 04:17 PM
It surely won't lead us anywhere constructive, but Branches/Bones, Hyperpower! and The Wake-up (HTDA) are all 1'42'' long.

Branches/Bones is 1:46.

Bachy
01-20-2017, 10:04 PM
I was just listening to Happiness in Slavery. God, does that song seem extremely relevant for the current state of affairs in the US. Hopefully TR feels the same and decides to bring it out of retirement for the live show(s).

Kulerage
01-20-2017, 11:18 PM
I was just listening to Happiness in Slavery. God, does that song seem extremely relevant for the current state of affairs in the US. Hopefully TR feels the same and decides to bring it out of retirement for the live show(s).
He's bound to do the screams some other way, which actually intrigues me. I now second your opinion.

nooneimportant
01-21-2017, 01:18 AM
He's bound to do the screams some other way, which actually intrigues me. I now second your opinion.

He would probably have the "slave screams" part on playback. The way he says it in the studio cut is so mint that it'd be hard to reproduce that exact intensity at this point in his life. However, he made "We're in This Together" sound pretty good live despite it being at a lower pitch, infact I think I like that song better when it's done live.

mauro995
01-21-2017, 05:36 AM
Maybe adding the Happiness In Slavery breakdown into the Great Destroyer one again might be an excellent choice for NIN live in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atWREh2X-WQ

Kulerage
01-21-2017, 12:14 PM
He would probably have the "slave screams" part on playback. The way he says it in the studio cut is so mint that it'd be hard to reproduce that exact intensity at this point in his life. However, he made "We're in This Together" sound pretty good live despite it being at a lower pitch, infact I think I like that song better when it's done live.
I'm talking about the SLLAVVEERRIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!'s.

Bachy
01-21-2017, 06:43 PM
i'm talking about the sllavveerriiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!'s.

SLAAAAAAAAYYYYYVERRRREEEEEEEOOOOOHHH!!!!!!!

(Happiness)

Halo Infinity
01-21-2017, 11:25 PM
Being a Filipino that knows several Tagalog words, I have noticed for quite some time that the way the words "suck it" from Big Man With A Gun sound very similar to "sakit" which means hurt in English.

So in a way, I can hear Trent saying "make you hurt" on two songs on The Downward Spiral instead of just one.

I'm talking about the SLLAVVEERRIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!'s.

SLAAAAAAAAYYYYYVERRRREEEEEEEOOOOOHHH!!!!!!!

(Happiness)
Thank you for reminding me as it also occurred to me that I was also reminded of the way that part of "slavery" sounded when I listened to the "2:02-17" mark of No, You Don't. I sometimes forget about it because it usually reminds me of Marilyn Manson's Angel With The Scabbed Wings.

That also then reminded me of the "2:36-3:00" mark of Meet Your Master, as it also reminded me of the "2:31-3:07" mark of The Big Come Down. They'd both probably sound very nice mashed up together.

I've also loved the way slavery sounded that way. I know that I'm just dreaming for now, but I'd still love to see Happiness In Slavery live.

*My bad if I also mentioned any of this before as I have so many random NIN thoughts questions, that I sometimes still tend to forget about even having them from time to time.

Bachy
01-22-2017, 12:54 AM
I know that I'm just dreaming for now, but I'd still love to see Happiness In Slavery live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv05EmuDjsY

Halo Infinity
01-22-2017, 01:00 AM
Bachy - I meant in real life, but that will obviously still do for now. :p

I also had that very performance in mind as well. The chills I get from that are also very similar to the chills I got from Mr Self Destruct in this video, which is yet another song that I never caught in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0uhPbZdxZo

Bachy
01-22-2017, 01:16 AM
@Bachy (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3010) - I meant in real life, but that will obviously still do for now. :p

I concur. Just being a smartass. I too would love to see HIS live in person as well as Closer with Danny Lohner on stage only if TR does his ejaculatiing water bottle shenanigans at the closing of the song ala AATCHB.

Ryan
01-22-2017, 06:58 AM
So, Trent said this about the EDIETS video:

"Regarding EDIETS, there will be no video released. I made a mistake. The good news is that mistake has acted as a catalyst for me to rethink a number of decisions regarding the direction and position of the band I've made and will be making in the future. The enemies from outside and within have been identified and I am back on track."

Then I just read this:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/23/mockingjay-s-mastermind-francis-lawrence-on-the-book-vs-movie-isis-parallels-and-more.html

The only music video of Lawrence’s that’s ever been shelved, he says, was one he shot for the Nine Inch Nails song “Every Day is Exactly the Same,” because “Trent [Reznor] wasn’t happy with how he looked in the video.”

...how bad could he have looked? I mean, according to the leaked info, he was just shirtless in some cryogenic chamber. Maybe his nipples looked too hard or something?

http://www.nin.wiki/images/a/ac/Ninnewvideo2ry.jpg

Fred
01-22-2017, 07:14 AM

I know, right? Seemed like a good excuse to bust out my old AIR dog tags.

http://i.imgur.com/ceYU5Rn.png

Ryan
01-23-2017, 02:10 AM
I've always loved how Trent sings "thought he had it all before they called his bluff / found out that his skin just wasn't thick enough / wanted to go back to how it was before / thought he lost everything then he lost a whole lot more".

I thought it was impressive on its own, but I appreciate it even more now since it was pointed out that it follows the same lyrical pattern as No, You Don't: "teeth in the necks of everyone you know / you can keep on sucking til the blood won't flow / when it starts to hurt it only helps it grow / taking all you need but not this time / no, you don't"

Shadaloo
01-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Help me
I broke apart my paycheck
Help me
I'm looking through stuff to sell
Help me
This new old format works for me
Help me choose a new fucking shelf
I'm buying records like an animal

wizfan
01-24-2017, 02:18 PM
I listened to the TRAR Beats interview with Zane Lowe and, wow, TR sounds so strong and confident. I've listened to so many interviews of his (I was watching some of the Interview Essentials earlier) but he has never sounded this wise and thoughtful before. I downloaded it from RITC; I don't know if it was edited down, but he barely did any "ummmm"'s or stray far from the topic. He still describes himself as an "insecure" person, but a lot of his insecurity seems to be gone now.

Meanwhile, poor Atticus said, like, five words.

Warped_Savant
01-24-2017, 10:17 PM
I had it as "Physical (You're So)" for a while, but then I realized NIN never had the brackets, and that works fine for me – I'm anal about notating cover songs in the titles, so now it's all "Physical (Adam Ant cover)" throughout.
Track list for Broken on nin.com:
TRACKLIST +

PINION
WISH
LAST
HELP ME I AM IN HELL
HAPPINESS IN SLAVERY
GAVE UP

PHYSICAL (YOU’RE SO)
SUCK

captainbeyond
01-25-2017, 01:45 AM
I've always loved how Trent sings "thought he had it all before they called his bluff / found out that his skin just wasn't thick enough / wanted to go back to how it was before / thought he lost everything then he lost a whole lot more".

I thought it was impressive on its own, but I appreciate it even more now since it was pointed out that it follows the same lyrical pattern as No, You Don't: "teeth in the necks of everyone you know / you can keep on sucking til the blood won't flow / when it starts to hurt it only helps it grow / taking all you need but not this time / no, you don't"

Dude! I noticed this a few years ago when I was not active on this forum. I love that TR did this so much. I'm glad to see someone pointing it out.

Ryan
01-25-2017, 02:17 AM
TRACKLIST +

PINION
WISH
LAST
HELP ME I AM IN HELL
HAPPINESS IN SLAVERY
GAVE UP

PHYSICAL (YOU’RE SO)
SUCK

They also have Fist Fuck written as FIRST FUCK on the Fixed page.

SchwarzerAbt
01-25-2017, 05:26 AM

Which is a mash-up of Last and Like a Virgin ;)

wizfan
01-25-2017, 06:22 AM
Where Is Everybody? (Version) is actually pretty good. Danny and Telefon Tel Aviv made the song more interesting, especially the faster chorus.

I listened to the vinyl rip of TFA and I have to say I prefer its track listing. 10 Miles High switches places with Where is Everybody, the latter flowing better into the Clouser mix of Starfuckers (though I just realized they still kept the overhang fuckup with the final second of TMH in the beginning of SF).

Ryan
01-25-2017, 07:01 AM
Where Is Everybody? (Version) is actually pretty good. Danny and Telefon Tel Aviv made the song more interesting, especially the faster chorus.

I listened to the vinyl rip of TFA and I have to say I prefer its track listing. 10 Miles High switches places with Where is Everybody, the latter flowing better into the Clouser mix of Starfuckers (though I just realized they still kept the overhang fuckup with the final second of TMH in the beginning of SF).

Jeeze, I didn't notice the order was different until now. I wonder why they did that?

wizfan
01-25-2017, 07:35 AM
Jeeze, I didn't notice the order was different until now. I wonder why they did that?

It probably has to do with the restrictions of the vinyl. TMH is slightly longer that WIE, so I guess they had to move it to side 2a, and thus Metal could have more breathing room in side 2b.

Warped_Savant
01-25-2017, 10:56 PM
Dammit!

*changes his files so that it's called "First Fuck"*

captainbeyond
01-25-2017, 11:22 PM
So how about the 2009 tour sans Alessandro when Trent handled mostly all of the synth, piano, and keyboard parts? As much as I also loved the Tension big band version of live NIN, I would rather see the scaled down NIN just so I can see Trent handling synth parts. That shit makes me so excited when I watch those videos. Especially that intro to "1,000,000" and "Burn." The energy that he puts into it is so pure. The man himself playing his own compositions. I know they also had to resort to using a lot of backing tracks on that tour to make it work but I wish Trent would keep doing this live when NIN finally returns. Also, that synth noise solo on "Head Down." That was one of my favorite moments of the Lights in the Sky tour in 2008.

BenAkenobi
01-26-2017, 12:02 AM
TRACKLIST +

PINION
WISH
LAST
HELP ME I AM IN HELL
HAPPINESS IN SLAVERY
GAVE UP

PHYSICAL (YOU’RE SO)
SUCK

However, it's just "Physical" on the store page for Broken reissue ;) and "Suck" is listed as the first song on bonus 7-inch. Maybe that's the major point.

Tommy_Macbeth
01-26-2017, 12:17 AM
What songs do you guys like to listen to when you're bummed out or trying to get motivated/stay strong inside? I love listening to Sunspots, Down In It, and The Way Out Is Through when I want to feel better.

sick among the pure
01-26-2017, 01:42 AM
What songs do you guys like to listen to when you're bummed out or trying to get motivated/stay strong inside? I love listening to Sunspots, Down In It, and The Way Out Is Through when I want to feel better.

Sometimes it depends on the reason (internal struggle, a specific person, humanity, government, etc) and the balance of sad vs angry in the bummed out. Will edit some examples for each when I'm not half awake.

r_k_f
01-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Just curious, but was this the only time this was done? I was happy enough to witness the standard version live, I think this would be face melting...

Also, what songs has he incorporated parts of into others live?
We have Happiness in Slavery in The Great Destroyer
I think Alessandro used the Sunspots Synth line in Echoplex if I remember correctly??
Closer lyrics and melody in All Time Low.

There's got to be more but my brain isn't fully firing yet...

Maybe adding the Happiness In Slavery breakdown into the Great Destroyer one again might be an excellent choice for NIN live in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atWREh2X-WQ

r_k_f
01-26-2017, 07:46 AM

I haven't listened to Fixed in sooooo long... forgot how good it is.

fillow
01-26-2017, 08:23 AM
Just curious, but was this the only time this was done? I was happy enough to witness the standard version live, I think this would be face melting...

Also, what songs has he incorporated parts of into others live?
We have Happiness in Slavery in The Great Destroyer
I think Alessandro used the Sunspots Synth line in Echoplex if I remember correctly??

There's got to be more but my brain isn't fully firing yet...

+
Closer/The Only Time (every performance of Closer since 2005)
Sanctified 2013/14 version with Sunspots vacuum cleaner solo
The Greater Good/Corona Radiata hybrid (LITS over Latin America dates)

some other obvious mashups if you want to count them:
MOTP + All the Pigs... outro
In this Twilight + Zero-Sum outro
La Mer (short) + Into the Void medley 2006/07
Now I'm Nothing + Terrible Lie

bonus: Reptile + Haunted When the Minutes Drag (2006 in-studio performance with Peter Murphy)

r_k_f
01-26-2017, 08:46 AM
"Sanctified 2013/14 version with Sunspots vacuum cleaner solo"

that's where it was, not Echoplex.. It's all coming back to me now that I have some coffee...

eversonpoe
01-26-2017, 09:44 AM

that's where it was, not Echoplex.. It's all coming back to me now that I have some coffee...

that version of sanctified also includes elements from "discipline", namely the "ooh ooh ooh ooh ooooooh"s

Volband
01-26-2017, 11:25 AM
EDIETS is strangely calming. Gives me a stoic feeling.

bobbie solo
01-26-2017, 12:15 PM
What songs do you guys like to listen to when you're bummed out or trying to get motivated/stay strong inside?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP06kxW_M3I

seasonsinthesky
01-26-2017, 12:15 PM
Reptile + Haunted When the Minutes Drag (2006 in-studio performance with Peter Murphy)

With a beat loop reused for "The Good Soldier"!

neorev
01-26-2017, 04:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb3xcNxA-GY

First the lyrics get to me, then when the music changes at 1:35 in to those sad pads. If I'm not reflecting back on my life, this song certainly makes me. But I still love it.

neorev
01-26-2017, 04:41 PM
And here's another "when I'm depressed" tracks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8miMg3xBN2s

neorev
01-26-2017, 04:43 PM
And the last "when I'm depressed" track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DJ3-BVMjOs

TheBang
01-26-2017, 05:45 PM
It was only done on the 2007 tour, but TGD didn't premiere until they re-did the tour production for the last leg of the tour and added the middle triptych of Me I'm Not/TGD/Eraser.
Even then, HiS wasn't immediately used in the breakdown. That didn't happen until sometime after Prague, so, in total, it was done less than 20 times.

theimage13
01-26-2017, 05:56 PM

Wait whaaaaaaaaaaat?

seasonsinthesky
01-27-2017, 01:42 PM
People, read his followup post. He mistook the song. It's in "Sanctified."

TheBang
01-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Wait whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Tommy_Macbeth
01-27-2017, 05:15 PM
Speaking of sanctified and sunspots, I was bored one day and I tried combining the vocals of sanctified and the instruments of sunspots, and I have to say it comes out pretty badass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc0HnAw7byU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPgeh0YCkGk
If you start the sunspots instrumental when the sanctified vocals video is at 1:47, then it sounds pretty cool imo

blassster
01-27-2017, 06:27 PM
One of the coolest pictures of TR, spin Jan 00

https://app.box.com/representation/file_version_137204305577/image_2048/1.png?shared_name=4jkylkooz96rw5zhwsy27vz6du82a0c0

seasonsinthesky
01-28-2017, 08:15 AM
Speaking of sanctified and sunspots, I was bored one day and I tried combining the vocals of sanctified and the instruments of sunspots, and I have to say it comes out pretty badass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc0HnAw7byU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPgeh0YCkGk
If you start the sunspots instrumental when the sanctified vocals video is at 1:47, then it sounds pretty cool imo

Except they're at different tempos, so it really doesn't work at all. ;)

Ribbitman
01-28-2017, 12:27 PM
I have always wondered, is that a gatling gun in Somewhat Damaged?

Tommy_Macbeth
01-28-2017, 07:10 PM
I Do Not Want This could be the best song on TDS. There's something so uncomfortably genuine and honest about it that makes it, to me, so appealing and great. The lyrics + tone of the song are addicting.

bobbie solo
01-28-2017, 11:00 PM
best songs on TDS to me have always been I Do Not Want This, The Becoming, Ruiner & Heresy. I felt like the full display of Trent's diverse production/layered sound power at this time was on display best in those songs. Not like there's a bad song on the record though. Flawless & awe inspiring.

sick among the pure
01-28-2017, 11:38 PM
best songs on TDS to me have always been I Do Not Want This, The Becoming, Ruiner & Heresy. I felt like the full display of Trent's diverse production/layered sound power at this time was on display best in those songs. Not like there's a bad song on the record though. Flawless & awe inspiring.

Agreed. Whether live or album version, those are actually my favorites from TDS. The "top 5 songs from The Fragile" thread made me realize I can make a top 3 or top 5 for any album EXCEPT The Fragile. I might be able to do a top 5 for each side, but not for the entire thing.

Disassociative
01-28-2017, 11:46 PM
I've got more of an appreciation for The Downward Spiral now than I used to. Listening to the remaster made me revisit it for the first time in a while - typically if I was in a NIN mood i'd listen to The Fragile or Broken or live recordings - and holy shit it blew me away more this time than the first time I listened to it.

Tommy_Macbeth
01-29-2017, 12:37 AM
I've got more of an appreciation for The Downward Spiral now than I used to. Listening to the remaster made me revisit it for the first time in a while - typically if I was in a NIN mood i'd listen to The Fragile or Broken or live recordings - and holy shit it blew me away more this time than the first time I listened to it.

WORD, except for like every album/ep haha

R-Dot-Yung
01-29-2017, 07:52 PM
Just found out my girlfriend got me The Fragile Deviations and TDS the definitive edition for my birthday. Super fucking pumped. She's not a NIN fan at all but she finally agreed that I can take her to a NIN show (Panorama). FUCK YEAHHHHH.

bwary
01-29-2017, 09:25 PM
aint this (http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2015/04/chrome-now-making-harder-use-google-earth-plugin.html) a downer for one of my favorite parts of the nin.com archive :-(

anyone know how to install an old version of chrome (i.e. 45 or there abouts) or FireFox from 2014/15?

please read http://portraitofdecay.blogspot.com/

Jon
01-30-2017, 08:01 AM
anyone know how to install an old version of chrome (i.e. 45 or there abouts) or FireFox from 2014/15?

No clue if this will help you bro, but here's a repository for Chromium (http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/index.html?path=Win/).

butter_hole
01-30-2017, 06:19 PM
Here's something that may interest, may be old news to some...

Finally found a shot of the Sharon Tate door actually installed in Nothing Studios (though it had shut by the time this photo was taken):

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/trent_reznor_studio_nothing_studio_tate_labianca_m urder_pig_door.jpg

Here's the door back in its old house in LA (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/66/32/7f/66327f8c27cd3143f1269ebd1d4c1627.jpg) in 1969.

There's always been the story that he took the door and re-purposed it but to be honest I'd never actually seen any proof that he did. Not that I didn't believe the story, but it's nice to see that at last.

Anyway it looks like it's gone forever either way: compare the building from 2011 (https://www.google.com.au/maps/@29.9206975,-90.1029044,3a,75y,189.22h,89.42t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s0J1k2fsZSIj7zOgnGN-mvQ!2e0!5s20110301T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?h l=en)to now (https://www.google.com.au/maps/@29.9207177,-90.1029048,3a,75y,189.22h,89.42t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sTk2WISxwSp2YtbfXEfSaNQ!2e0!5s2 0160401T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en)... seems as if they've gutted the place.

I hope they knew what they were throwing out...

blassster
01-30-2017, 08:56 PM
There's always been the story that he took the door and re-purposed it but to be honest I'd never actually seen any proof that he did. Not that I didn't believe the story, but it's nice to see that at last.

Anyway it looks like it's gone forever either way: [...] seems as if they've gutted the place.

Little did this interviewer know :)
https://youtu.be/nK2iXrg74qU

Also, random video of the room inside the corner of the building
https://youtu.be/qD0pUg3Yoes

butter_hole
01-30-2017, 09:20 PM
Little did this interviewer know :)
https://youtu.be/nK2iXrg74qU

I watched this exact video last night and only just realised he was standing in front of it. I'm a goose.

sweeterthan
01-30-2017, 10:03 PM
That interview is so good. Good questions and a honest lonely guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_T_B_W_
01-30-2017, 10:54 PM
I've always thought it would be pretty cool if Trent streamed/recorded future live shows in 360 degree view right in the middle of the stage.

Tommy_Macbeth
02-01-2017, 12:36 AM
Just finished listening to With Teeth (been listening to a lot of songs off it recently and decided to just listen to the album in its entirety, haven't done that for a while). What a freaking awesome album actually, in certain ways it hits home more/is more powerful than TDS or TF in how...down to earth, related (for me, mind you) it comes out. Not quite on the same level as those two albums, but still a great one.

ChipRock
02-01-2017, 10:37 AM
freaking awesome

Yeah, With Teeth is the only NIN album that I've really changed my mind about. I remember enjoying the singles at the time, but when it came to listening to it in full... well, it really didn't click. It felt bland and conventional (I'm talking in comparison to other NIN here) and yeah, just a bit flat really. I don't think it was too long before it stopped getting regular plays. I think it was the release of the NINJA Tour Sampler, with those new WT tracks, that made me rethink things, and since then I've become very fond of it.

Further random comment... I'm really surprised that we haven't heard more since Not The Actual Events. With the live date I thought it was the start of something more, but maybe it really will be a weird (but cool) blip in NIN history.
(and part of me hopes that now I've said this Trent will pop up all like 'Surprise!' on Twitter in 5 mins time)

EndlessLoveless
02-01-2017, 09:51 PM
I don't know why, it's not my favorite song, but more than any other nine inch nails beat I have 'the good soldier' on a loop in my head all day once a week. So catchy.

captainbeyond
02-02-2017, 03:20 PM
Here's the door back in its old house in LA (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/66/32/7f/66327f8c27cd3143f1269ebd1d4c1627.jpg) in 1969.

Anyway it looks like it's gone forever either way: compare the building from 2011 (https://www.google.com.au/maps/@29.9206975,-90.1029044,3a,75y,189.22h,89.42t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s0J1k2fsZSIj7zOgnGN-mvQ!2e0!5s20110301T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?h l=en)to now (https://www.google.com.au/maps/@29.9207177,-90.1029048,3a,75y,189.22h,89.42t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sTk2WISxwSp2YtbfXEfSaNQ!2e0!5s2 0160401T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en)... seems as if they've gutted the place.

I took some pics in front of it back in October.

EndlessLoveless
02-03-2017, 11:03 AM
How fucking awesome is the live version of only on BYIT, when he goes "Your FUCKING world that is". Love the conviction in his voice on that line. Can't remember if it's the normal or summer version.

Tommy_Macbeth
02-04-2017, 07:25 PM
I like to construct random NIN playlists with a concept/idea/feeling to them and today I was making a more motivational/recovery type playlist. With Teeth, The Fragile, and Hesitation Marks made up the vast majority of the playlist. 1. I'm surprised The Fragile in reality is very inspiring to me given that it's also the darkest album imo. 2. I've said this before, but HM/WT aren't concept albums but still tell little stories, and the stories that stick out and resonate with me are definitely the ones relating to rising and falling.

implanted_microchip
02-04-2017, 07:51 PM
The Deviations version of The Mark Has Been Made is way better in every possible way than the main version on The Fragile.

Maybe this should be in Controversial Opinions instead?

Halo Infinity
02-04-2017, 09:34 PM
I see what you mean. One of the things that I've always liked about NIN was how some of his records sometimes take me back to exactly how I felt when I listened to them the first time. Which was blown away and as good as it got. The Downward Spiral is definitely one of them.

But more than the first time? If only I could experience that, in spite of how much I've always loved The Downward Spiral. Talk about uber-awesome re-visited. :D

Just finished listening to With Teeth (been listening to a lot of songs off it recently and decided to just listen to the album in its entirety, haven't done that for a while). What a freaking awesome album actually, in certain ways it hits home more/is more powerful than TDS or TF in how...down to earth, related (for me, mind you) it comes out. Not quite on the same level as those two albums, but still a great one.
I can actually relate to With Teeth much more than I did when it first came out. All The Love In The World, The Collector, Every Day Is Exactly The Same, Getting Smaller, Sunspots, The Line Begins to Blur and Right Where It Belongs have been hitting me so much harder this time around. As for sentimental reasons, that's probably the case of it being the first actual NIN album that I had to wait for since becoming a fan in 2002.

seasonsinthesky
02-04-2017, 09:49 PM
The Deviations version of The Mark Has Been Made is way better in every possible way than the main version on The Fragile.

Maybe this should be in Controversial Opinions instead?

Definitely controversial. I've seen nothing but "why did he ruin the song?!" (i.e. the opposite of you) since it came out. I have to agree with this latter opinion – it's much lesser than the final version, and both are absolute weaksauce compared to the AATCHB arrangement.

I do kinda wish he'd buried the talkbox in the final mix, though. It's a cool layer.

Disassociative
02-04-2017, 11:14 PM
I see what you mean. One of the things that I've always liked about NIN was how some of his records sometimes take me back to exactly how I felt when I listened to them the first time. Which was blown away and as good as it got. The Downward Spiral is definitely one of them.

But more than the first time? If only I could experience that, in spite of how much I've always loved The Downward Spiral. Talk about uber-awesome re-visited. :D

Part of the reason it blew me away even more was because I was like 15 or 16 when I first listened to The Downward Spiral when I got into NIN in about 2010 (Can thank Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock for that - had Wish as one of the songs it I thought it kicked ass and made me curious to check out more by NIN haha) and thought 'this is pretty cool' but some of the songs didn't really grab me as much as they do now, mostly because at that point I had mostly listened to more pop-y or alternative stuff, nothing as heavy as NIN can get. Over the past year or so I've slowly been getting into back into NIN as for a while I started listening to stuff like The Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead and I know how some of you feel about him but Marilyn Manson too and for a long time that stuff clicked with me so well and partly because of that and partially because of growing up I guess I got more of an appreciation of the detail and emotions and power that can come through music. I listened to The Fragile for the first time in full for a while and songs that I never really cared about before like The Way Out Is Through, Where is Everybody and The Big Come Down and The Fragile resonant with me so much more than ever before to the point where I think The Way Out is Through is probably in my top 5 of favorite songs ever. That build up to the loud part crashing down on you is beautiful. So when Trent announced the whole DE reissue thing I downloaded the files as soon as I could, i was most hyped for The Fragile and The Fragile Deviations 1 but issues with those twos downloads made me have to wait. Gave Broken a listen, just as good as I remembered - Gave Up which I neglected a bit before is now one I enjoy shitloads and when I sat down to listen to The Downward Spiral I was blown away on so many levels. I'm not going to lie, before then the only songs from The Downward Spiral that were memorable to me and I would listen to often were Mr. Self Destruct, Heresy, March of the Pigs, Reptile and Hurt but holy fucking shit the Ruiner>The Becoming>I Do Not Want This chain is 15 minutes of perfection. Sure I had listened to those songs on and off before and I feel stupid for not getting into them as much before but like I said I don't think the younger me appreciated them as much or most of NINs discography as a whole.

Tommy_Macbeth
02-05-2017, 03:39 PM
So I was biking outside today (like biking when there's supposed to not be a lot of people) and I was listening to my playlist that I made that was supposed to be more uplifting and personal and the last six songs were: Hurt/Everything/Burning Bright/Various Methods of Escape/Right Where It Belongs/We're In This Together. I was surprised at how different all the songs were, but still so...related and personal to me. Do you guys feel like there are particular NIN albums that speak to you much more than others? I feel like every album hits me in a different way, but are mostly just as strong.

implanted_microchip
02-05-2017, 03:50 PM
Do you guys feel like there are particular NIN albums that speak to you much more than others? I feel like every album hits me in a different way, but are mostly just as strong.

It entirely depends on where I am at any given point in my life at the time. Pretty Hate Machine doesn't speak to me at all currently and hasn't for a while -- I've just not given a shit about anything romantic for a good long while now, so I couldn't care less about that type of anguish or angst. I'm not exactly angry with myself over anything, so Broken isn't the most potent thing to me at the moment, either. I am, however, politically horrified, numbed by routine and exhausted inside as a human bein while feeling doubtful of my general sense of self and identity, so things like Year Zero, With Teeth and The Slip are clicking pretty heavily these days. I find that there's enough diversity in the types of inner turmoil that NIN has explored album to album that there's almost always something for whatever it is I'm dealing with at the time.

SM Rollinger
02-06-2017, 06:26 PM
So I was biking outside today (like biking when there's supposed to not be a lot of people) and I was listening to my playlist that I made that was supposed to be more uplifting and personal and the last six songs were: Hurt/Everything/Burning Bright/Various Methods of Escape/Right Where It Belongs/We're In This Together. I was surprised at how different all the songs were, but still so...related and personal to me. Do you guys feel like there are particular NIN albums that speak to you much more than others? I feel like every album hits me in a different way, but are mostly just as strong.
WITT does to me, yes.

Another song that strikes a chord inside me is Leaving Hope, its such a dark song atmospherically. It touches that same place that A Warm Place and Ghosts 28 do, in a way that cant be described with lyrics, and im glad its an instrumental.

edit: Hand Covers Bruise, add that to the list

sick among the pure
02-07-2017, 01:17 AM
Do you guys feel like there are particular NIN albums that speak to you much more than others?

I've always joked about trent putting out the right album at the right time for me because it feels like the general theme and feeling in each album has coincided very well with what's going on in my life/mind the year that it came out (/the year I first heard it for the older stuff I didn't hear upon release).

serotoninXxX
02-07-2017, 01:55 AM
Trent really fucked up not playing Zero Sum on the Tension tour.

Tommy_Macbeth
02-07-2017, 05:39 AM
Trent really fucked up not playing Zero Sum on the Tension tour.

How much In This Twilight was played?

Shadaloo
02-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Do you guys feel like there are particular NIN albums that speak to you much more than others?

There are aspects of PHM that connect with me much less now than in my younger years, for certain, but still some parts reach me. I'll always have some measure of yearning and anger, I suppose.

Broken, TDS, The Fragile and parts of Hesitation Marks have a timeless kind of connection to me. Not in the sense that I feel like I'm losing my grip on myself or have a desire to throw anything away, more in the sense that when I listen to them, I can indulge that part of myself that still hates everything, and channel that into a warning of sorts. At the end of any given listen, I come out feeling strong, and never lose sight of what's important to me. "All I've undergone, I will keep on". You know?

These days, Year Zero is quite simply frightening to me, as I find myself wishing god himself would reach his fucking arm through, etc.

Unrelated: "Memorabilia" doesn't get enough love.

sick among the pure
02-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Watching the Webster Hall Wave Goodbye TDS show on YouTube: cry every time.
Like, god damn, what an amazing show that was and how much I would give to go back and be able to attend it. My "if you could go back in time for 24 hours" answer was always to go to a Dissonance tour show, but that show would be right up there next to it IMO.

And then I remember that Chicago got a fucking Broken cock tease, but no full album either night. And then LA gets a TDS night too. And I cry more.

Papagolash
02-08-2017, 12:44 PM
A friend posted this on my Facebook today, I completely forgot that this existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySGtniX4QrU

kel
02-08-2017, 12:57 PM
dafuq was that?

does anyone else remember a rumor floating around in like 1996 that tr was gonna play the lead in the crow 2?

imail724
02-08-2017, 02:33 PM
A friend posted this on my Facebook today, I completely forgot that this existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySGtniX4QrU

https://frinkiac.com/img/S04E22/411026.jpg

Kyle
02-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Every band has that 1 album that is the arty, "cool" album that the casual fan doesn't get into, so when fans namedrop it as their favorite album, it shows their hardcore cred. Usually these albums gain credibility as the years go by. Mr. Bungle "Disco Volante", The Cure "Pornography", Bowie's "Low", Depeche Mode "Songs of Faith & Devotion" etc...for NIN, that album is 'The Fragile'...

I know this is an old post but....
there are casual Mr Bungle fans?

Prettybrokenspiral
02-10-2017, 03:58 PM
for NIN, that album is 'The Fragile'

I think the artsy, cool, underappreciated album in the NIN canon belongs to Year Zero

Plenty of fans, whether casual or hardcore, know The Fragile and cite it as a masterpiece. But how many casual NIN fans even know about or remember YZ a decade later? Even today amongst the fanbase, it's more revered for its ARG rollout and Trent's roasting of Interscope at the time than it is for the actual musicality or subtext it offers. That album is FAR ahead of its time; there's simply nothing else like it, in the NIN catalogue or anyone else's, for that matter.

And 10 years later, it's more relevant now to the state of affairs than it was in 2007. Yet, it rarely gets held up in the same high regard as the first four albums routinely do. Recently, some hack journalist at Pitchfork even denigrated it as "uncomfortably ambitious in parts"

Save for perhaps TDS, Year Zero is easily his most focused album, conceptually. It's almost a sequel to TDS in structure and form, except it deals with the collapse of society and the world at large, as opposed to just one individual's psyche. It's the album for the absolute NIN purist..

mauro995
02-11-2017, 01:24 PM
I wanted to mix Hesitation Marks with Not The Actual Events and I ended with a playlist with a similar sequence to The Downward Spiral tracklist. After one listen I think that this thing works very well for me, the lyrics of the songs fit very good, almost like it was just one conceptual album.

1-Branches/Bones
2-Find My Way
3-Copy Of A
4-The Idea Of You
5-All Time Low
6-Dear World,
7-Came Back Haunted
8-Burning Bright (Field On Fire)
9-The Eater Of Dreams
10-She's Gone Away
11-In Two
12-While I'm Still Here
13-Black Noise

bobbie solo
02-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Cool idea. I notice you removed most of the garbage HM material out of there too. Can't have a HM playlist w/o VMoE though, it's the first or second best song on the record (along with Copy of A).

wizfan
02-13-2017, 10:03 AM
The time when nin.com was using a tumblr feed already feels like a distant memory. Like a nightmare long forgotten.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
02-13-2017, 10:06 AM
after watching the Grammy people sabotage Metallica last night with James' mic cutting out, at least Trent isnt the only "heavy" musician they have fucked over in the past couple years

fillow
02-13-2017, 11:03 AM
The time when nin.com was using a tumblr feed already feels like a distant memory. Like a nightmare long forgotten.
I didn't really have a problem with nin.com being a tumblr feed when they actually posted news and pictures. But when they didn't have a single update for a year after Cargo... yeah.

seasonsinthesky
02-13-2017, 11:23 AM
I didn't really have a problem with nin.com being a tumblr feed when they actually posted news and pictures. But when they didn't have a single update for a year after Cargo... yeah.

I have the feeling it was a Sheridan-led project, so when RS started phasing out, so did the Tumblr.

simonn
02-13-2017, 12:38 PM
I know this is an old post but....
there are casual Mr Bungle fans?

Well I'd defo count myself as one - I like the bits and pieces I've heard over the years, but I'm sitting here trying to think of song titles and the only things that spring to mind are Squeeze Me Macaroni and Ars Moriendi...

Halo Infinity
02-13-2017, 05:13 PM
I think one of the largest main reasons as to why I keep following Nine Inch Nails would still be based on how much I am able to relate to his music as far as it being the ultimate soundtrack to my personal life and personality altogether. No matter which release so far, there will be entire albums or at least several songs that will always tug on my heartstrings.

As an example, 1,000,000 also evokes very similar emotions and memories to me that Gave Up and The Big Come Down did where I can relate to each and every single word of each song while also helping me cope and deal with the not so pleasing and comforting aspects of life to put it lightly. Every single album so far has given me an introspective journey while helping me take and put things into perspective, aside from the overall satisfaction as far as being entertained and being wowed, thus giving me even more reasons for NIN to have such a grip/hold on me.

I'm also aware that Trent Reznor obviously isn't the only musician capable of doing this, but I am always impressed and inspired as to how he was able to productively, constructively, legally and healthily translate negative thoughts and emotions into creativity, art and just good fun altogether while overcoming his obstacles and adversaries. It's also one of the largest main reasons as to why I've looked up to him so much since becoming a fan in 2002. Well, that and also putting up one hell of a show too.

bobbie solo
02-13-2017, 11:50 PM
Wow. You and I have greatly different opinions on what are and are not the high points of Hesitation Marks. I'm pretty sure "Came Back Haunted" is the worst song on the record. "Satellite" might not be terribly interesting, but it's better than that. And I wasn't aware anyone had a problem with "I Would for You." Weird.

I was trying to be a little diplomatic. I agree that CBH is garbage. Formulaic NIN with no bite.

bwary
02-14-2017, 03:28 AM
Yes! Yes! Yes! (and thank you! Leviathant) I can't count how many times through the years the nin hotline (not twitter) has been an invaluable (re)source!
http://i.imgur.com/SWf7fKD.jpg

sweeterthan
02-14-2017, 06:57 AM
Yes! Yes! Yes! (and thank you! Leviathant) I can't count how many times through the years the nin hotline (not twitter) has been an invaluable (re)source!
http://i.imgur.com/SWf7fKD.jpg

Well, this is a funny way to find out the site is being worked on. Hallelujah.

pinata89
02-14-2017, 07:57 AM
.....And I wasn't aware anyone had a problem with "I Would for You." Weird.

I literally listen to "I Would For You" for the majestic ending. At high volumes, it's so easy to immerse yourself in the beauty of those intertwining chords and drown in that outro coda....and then into "In Two" (no pun intended). Love those two, one after the other...and then, of course, the final two tracks.

Other than that sequence, Hesitation Marks really hasn't sunk in like other NIN releases have.

Leviathant
02-14-2017, 04:40 PM
Well, this is a funny way to find out the site is being worked on. Hallelujah.

It's been a busy... I don't even know the measurement of time.

There's still a lot of shuffling that needs to happen before I start making too much noise :)

sweeterthan
02-14-2017, 04:53 PM
It's been a busy... I don't even know the measurement of time.

The last time we talked about it was April.

Halo Infinity
02-14-2017, 05:30 PM
It occurred to me yet again that while Ghosts I-IV is a nice album to chill/zone out to, it's also great to listen to when in a hurry/rush. It calms me down and has sometimes helped me defeat the odds in becoming punctual with in the 11th hour/last minute.

Upon also reading the Vinyl Mission Statement at NIN.com, it also compelled me to listen to The Downward Spiral for the first time in quite a while on my vinyl player. It literally is the first vinyl record I ever owned and it reminds me why I also enjoy vinyl. Part of my fascination is also knowing that I'm also listening to music in a way that occurred long before I was even born. I'll certainly hope to look forward to finally get The Fragile: Deviations 1 on it some day. It's not just the sound, but it really is the experience of having to move the needle as well as looking through the size of the cases and sleeves, while perusing them and admiring the artwork in a way that can't be absorbed with CD cases and booklets.

While I can also clean, organize and just relax with CDs playing music in the background, doing it only vinyl is also fun in its own right. Kind of like how I enjoy the tape hiss of cassettes, I also enjoy the crackle of vinyl with the feel of added nostalgia it brings. I definitely still see the appeal in spite of how much harder vinyl is to actually obtain.

Tommy_Macbeth
02-14-2017, 05:47 PM
What would have been the reaction if Not The Actual Events came out in 2005 in place of With Teeth?

Tommy_Macbeth
02-14-2017, 07:52 PM
Not good, I'll bet. Not good at all.

Hmmm,what if halfway through Hesitation Marks,the entirety of NTAE played? Just imagine, you're listening to the album for the first time and you finish Everything and you're very confused then Branches and Bones starts playing :)

clarktrent
02-15-2017, 01:11 AM
Since Atticus is an official member now, aren't all of the TR & AR soundtracks technically Nine Inch Nails now?

Ryan
02-15-2017, 04:28 AM
Since Atticus is an official member now, aren't all of the TR & AR soundtracks technically Nine Inch Nails now?

You just broke the universe and blew my mind.

Halo Infinity
02-15-2017, 06:07 AM
What would have been the reaction if Not The Actual Events came out in 2005 in place of With Teeth?
I'd rather perish the thought as I love With Teeth far too much. (Granted, I will admit that I'm sort of kind of doing the same thing with this post.)

However, what you said somehow reminds me of this other random NIN thought I had, as I noticed how 1989-1994 and 1999-2005 had a similar pattern as far as releases went. And not that it's really supposed to make any sense either, but it really was just to fit in the LP, EP, LP/LP, EP, LP, Double LP/Double LP, EP, LP pattern as far as post-Fragile works go. It just got stuck in my mind since I usually keep listening from PHM to WT the most even up until now. These are just a few examples, as you can pretty much do that with any release anyway.

1 - With Teeth
2 - Not The Actual Events
3 - Year Zero
4 - Ghosts I-IV

Or.

1. Ghosts I-IV
2. Not The Actual Events
3. With Teeth

Or.

1. Hesitation Marks
2. Not The Actual Events
3. Year Zero
4. Ghosts I-IV

sweeterthan
02-15-2017, 06:26 AM

Reznor went out of his way (caps lock, y'all) to tell us the before the flood track with his vocals was not new nine inch nails.

eversonpoe
02-15-2017, 08:52 AM

no. artist intentions are important, and TR+AR have made sure to distinguish between their score work and other projects. NIN is a very defined thing, no matter who is involved. atticus has been part of the project for at least 12 years, he's just finally being considered an official member of the band (as opposed to a behind the scenes collaborator). he was also part of HTDA, which is decidedly not NIN or score work, so the logic doesn't follow to consider their scores NIN. also, it's not a retroactive thing.

sorry, i'm taking this way too seriously.

Disassociative
02-15-2017, 09:03 AM
sorry, i'm taking this way too seriously.

You are right though, i figure if Trent intended that soundtrack work to be NIN he would have labelled it as that at the time but he wanted to distinguish it as a separate body of work and like sweeterthan said Trent was very emphatic about A Minute to Breathe not been NIN.

Sarah K
02-15-2017, 10:25 AM
I never get tired of watching MOTP from Tension.

Pino is so good.

Trent: Alright, so on March of the Pigs, Ilan will complete multiple 12 yard dashes to play drums and keyboard.
Alessandro: There are like, 112 people on stage. Perhaps one of us could do the keyboard part instead?
Trent: ILAN WILL DO IT

Disassociative
02-15-2017, 10:38 AM

Pino is so good.

Trent: Alright, so on March of the Pigs, Ilan will complete multiple 12 yard dashes to play drums and keyboard.
Alessandro: There are like, 112 people on stage. Perhaps one of us could do the keyboard part instead?
Trent: ILAN WILL DO ITHaving a dedicated bass player on stage really made a lot of the songs feel a lot more full. And I always found it a bit odd Ilan did those keyboard parts... until I watched the actual footage I just assumed it was Alessandro doing it.

fillow
02-15-2017, 11:36 AM

Pino is so good.

Trent: ILAN WILL DO IT
You know, this is exactly why don't like this version (and Wave Goodbye version too), because that last snare/crash hit right before 'now doesn't it make you feel better' lyric is essential! and Ilan obviously skips it as he's at the keyboard already.

wizfan
02-15-2017, 10:47 PM
Listening to "Please" in reverse is a very revealing experience. At first, I thought that only the acoustic guitar at the very end was reversed, but there are actually quite a lot of reversed guitars and synths in there., particularly in the verses. And the "sweeping" synth at the intro... holy shit, it sounds so... plain when reversed. I usually hate reversed audio, I always found it a cheap and lazy effect, but I have to admit "Please" fooled me in that regard. Wow.

botley
02-15-2017, 11:05 PM
You know, this is exactly why don't like this version (and Wave Goodbye version too), because that last snare/crash hit right before 'now doesn't it make you feel better' lyric is essential! and Ilan obviously skips it as he's at the keyboard already.
It wasn't there from 1994-1996...

Disassociative
02-16-2017, 10:03 AM
I finally bothered to get the Closer To God EP (the one with all 9 tracks, not the shitty 4 song version on Apple Music) and the March Of The Pigs EP. These remixes are pretty good, and turns out after years and years of thinking Heresy (Version) and Heresy (Blind) were the same thing I regret not correcting that mistake earlier. I am really digging Heresy (Blind) right now.

I had as much content as possible from The Fragile era but didn't really delve into the TDS stuff apart from Further Down The Spiral (with an edition I made that combines both tracklistings) and the selection of bonus tracks on the 10th Anniversary edition of TDS but figured I finally should bother. I'm glad I did.

Kulerage
02-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Listening to "Please" in reverse is a very revealing experience. At first, I thought that only the acoustic guitar at the very end was reversed, but there are actually quite a lot of reversed guitars and synths in there., particularly in the verses. And the "sweeping" synth at the intro... holy shit, it sounds so... plain when reversed. I usually hate reversed audio, I always found it a cheap and lazy effect, but I have to admit "Please" fooled me in that regard. Wow.
The second guitar solo in Where Is Everybody? is also reversed.

HWB
02-17-2017, 09:31 AM
I feel like that maybe The Slip would have gotten more respect as an album if it wasn't released for free, I feel like when stuff are given away for free people naturally will consider it as a product that has less substance. I feel like more attention would be given to the album rather than to the release method which kind of hurt it, at least in my opinion. It makes it feel less special for people, if that makes sense? I don't know.

Maybe this should go on controversial NIN opinions reading it again..

wizfan
02-17-2017, 09:39 AM
I feel like that maybe The Slip would have gotten more respect as an album if it wasn't released for free, I feel like when stuff are given away for free people naturally will consider it as a product that has less substance. I feel like more attention would be given to the album rather than to the release method which kind of hurt it, at least in my opinion. It makes it feel less special for people, if that makes sense? I don't know.

Maybe this should go on controversial NIN opinions reading it again..

I don't know. I see what you mean, but don't forget that The Slip was quickly produced in a couple of weeks, so not giving it away could have caused more negative comments.

xolotl
02-17-2017, 09:42 AM
I feel like more attention would be given to the album rather than to the release method which kind of hurt it, at least in my opinion.

I remember being annoyed at the time that pretty much every TR interview about The Slip was nearly 100% about its distribution method and practically nothing about the album itself. Definitely a shame, since it remains one of my favorites.

HWB
02-17-2017, 09:43 AM
I don't know. I see what you mean, but don't forget that The Slip was quickly produced in a couple of weeks, so not giving it away could have caused more negative comments.

I personally couldn't tell that before I read up upon it, I still don't really hear an album that was made quickly, and I am not sure if a full fledged album should go for free just due to its development time, I would understand if it was unfinished and just full of demos or something, but it is a finished product.

HWB
02-17-2017, 09:46 AM
I remember being annoyed at the time that pretty much every TR interview about The Slip was nearly 100% about its distribution method and practically nothing about the album itself. Definitely a shame, since it remains one of my favorites.
Yeah, reviews going
"The asking price is right!"

Like fuck off. I can see why Trent didn't do this and won't do this for any future albums, there isn't quite much of a point anyway. Right now The Slip is seen as a "that free album" yet I feel that is really sad, just since it was made quickly doesn't mean there was no effort, hell, it could be the opposite.

wizfan
02-17-2017, 05:09 PM
This reminds me of Just Like You Imagined so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwOj0MkyTHM

Ryan
02-17-2017, 06:11 PM
Did TR ever say what the title of Just Like You Imagined was about in an interview? He did about The Way Out Is Through (check ninwiki), but I've always wanted to know why he named it that.

Ribbitman
02-17-2017, 09:33 PM
has Trent ever named his top 5/10 favorite NIN songs?

nooneimportant
02-17-2017, 09:35 PM

That's a good point. I'm interested in knowing what he thinks is his best.

eversonpoe
02-18-2017, 04:22 PM
That's a good point. I'm interested in knowing what he thinks is his best.

DEEP
Deep
deep
deep
deep

implanted_microchip
02-18-2017, 11:50 PM
La Mer is my favorite song Trent will ever write

fakdoo
02-19-2017, 01:57 AM

I remember reading interviews in which he called Terrible Lie, Gave Up, Hurt, and The Collector his favorites off of their respective albums. He also said during a show years back that La Mer means a lot to him because he wrote it during one of the most awful times of his life.

Volband
02-19-2017, 03:04 AM
He also said it changes a lot, when he said he was currently enjoying The Fragile the most.

bobbie solo
02-20-2017, 12:43 AM
...The Collector...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs_CZdRXEAAzrcx.jpg

Over All The Love In The World, Love Is Not Enough, Where The Line..., Right Where It Belongs or Beside You In Time? Madness.

nooneimportant
02-20-2017, 01:49 AM
La Mer is my favorite song Trent will ever write

La Mer is easily in my Top 10. The performance on AATCHB blew me away when I first saw it on YouTube. I had no idea NIN was capable of material like that because I was still new to NIN.

Ribbitman
02-20-2017, 02:20 AM
Was It Worth It… fuck me

Shadaloo
02-20-2017, 02:30 PM
The March is a great song for when you're sitting in the dark all paranoid.

Shadaloo
02-20-2017, 04:05 PM
DON'T LOOK AT M- I mean yes. Yes I really was. Bad night. :p

acrid avid jam shred
02-20-2017, 11:46 PM
http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/key394a.shtml

Such an awesome article from 1994! I love reading about Trent's creative process when it comes to crafting songs in the studio, and all the gear he's made use of throughout the years. It's so intriguing, and super inspiring!

ultimatebdp
02-21-2017, 10:52 AM
I must say, after listening to NTAE over the last few months, there's just some special about guitar-oriented NIN songs!! Even when they switched the live version of 1,000,000 from guitars to synths, it didn't have the same bite.

Considering TR is always trying to get synths to act/sound imperfect and manipulate their sound, I don't understand why he sometimes gets away from the guitar. I guess because he's a better pianist than guitarist, but it still seems like it would be easier for him to mess with sounds from a guitar than to fill a studio with synths and wires to attempt the same effect.

EndlessLoveless
02-21-2017, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure why but those tamer fragile songs (La mer, the great below...) haven't held up for me. Back then they were mind blowing. It was new and very different than most previous work. Those two tracks specifically were my favorites at the time. Maybe I've listened to them too much or im burnt out on quiet nin, maybe they are from a place in time they don't fit for me anymore or maybe I just want to rock. Maybe I'm weird but unless I'm listening to the fragile as a whole I rarely seek out those songs individually anymore.

Halo Infinity
02-21-2017, 06:19 PM
This probably might be far better posted in Random NIN Thoughts, as to avoid derailing the Not The Actual Events thread.

I love & appreciate the foreign posters whose English isn't perfect but are trying their darndest. It's endearing. (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4296-Not-The-Actual-Events?p=343121#post343121)
I couldn't find this part of Closure isolated, so I'll have to put this in context for a moment. Anyway, what you said actually reminded me of this part of Closure. It's at the 38 second mark to the 46 second mark of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxBkNbtuzwc

HWB
02-22-2017, 04:29 AM
The "tear it all down" chant from 10 Miles High is very creepy to me, not just due to the obvious reasons, but another one which is a weird thing upon my part, during this chant there is another deeper voice (probably Trent's voice modified) saying the same thing, yet this deeper voice sounds almost exactly like today's Trent, it's a surreal feeling.

Kulerage
02-22-2017, 09:50 AM
The "tear it all down" chant from 10 Miles High is very creepy to me, not just due to the obvious reasons, but another one which is a weird thing upon my part, during this chant there is another deeper voice (probably Trent's voice modified) saying the same thing, yet this deeper voice sounds almost exactly like today's Trent, it's a surreal feeling.
Trent took a bold new direction for that song and hired his future self for the recording.