PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

cahernandez
01-22-2014, 10:17 AM
#rant

...but my wife and I have to laugh at the "Hand Covers Bruise" theme *every time.*

Does not compute.

Care to elaborate more? I think the Blu-ray documentary on TSN soundtrack has Reznor talking about this track, on how he wanted to convey the fragility (no pun intended) of Zuckerberg's character with the piano line and blend it in with the darker undertones of his persona, represented by the eerie synth line. I think it's brilliant, and one of the best opening sequences I've seen in film.

Regarding Beats...in general I'm not a fan of subscription/streaming services. I guess I'm part of the older generation. You mention that you've been exposed to such a wide variety of music, and yeah, I can see that, but personally I think I'd be overwhelmed by the vast amount of music in a system like that. I rather grow my CD collection organically, buying three or four CDs a month and spending plenty of time with each one. A streaming service, I think it treats music like a commodity, something disposable and I don't like that. But that's just me.

sheepdean
01-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Why do people always feel the need to be a smartass? Especially online?

As you obviously understood the intent of my post. But for arguments sake i'll explain it more clearly. Yes Trent and Atticus will both be involved with the score but lets be realistic here, Trent was the main focus while Atticus happens to be his main collaborator who he likes to work with on projects.
I mean obviously, it's not like he'd already done 3 scores prior to TSN. And he's a secondary role as a collaborator, not writer, that's why his name isn't on the album name.

Oh wait.

jnk6980
01-22-2014, 10:57 AM
I mean obviously, it's not like he'd already done 3 scores prior to TSN. And he's a secondary role as a collaborator, not writer, that's why his name isn't on the album name.

Oh wait.

What does Atticus Ross having done other film scores have to do with his involvement with TSN or TGWTDT? My statement was in reference to the fact that Fincher approached Trent about working on the film not Atticus and Trent brought him along (as a collaborator).

And in all honesty this is taking away from the intent of my original statement. As all I was doing was making a point to showcase my enthusiasm about the upcoming score and because of a simple oversight or lack of recognition given to Attcus's involvement (I actually did mention his name in my original comment but whatever). You decided to take offense and go on a some sort of tirade about the comment.

So with that said let me rephrase my original comment.

"Well with the announcement that Trent & Atticus will be scoring Gone Girl. I think it's safe to say that Trent AND ATTICUS have become Fincher's go to guys for the music in his movies."

Happy now?

sheepdean
01-22-2014, 11:11 AM
My point is that people forget about Atticus and the fact you managed to mention him and then instantly dropped him from the next bit. If it's a too-lazy-to-type thing, TRAR is even faster than Trent to type.

billpulsipher
01-22-2014, 11:27 AM
#rant

Or the Grammy's thing.... Jesus Christ, NIN played WOODSTOCK 94 for god's sake! The thing that got me into NIN was that it was injecting danger into the mainstream. If NIN was totally an underground band they never would have had the opportunities to blow our minds the way they did.

If you think him playing the Grammy's is about injecting danger into the mainstream, you couldn't be more wrong. maybe had he played the grammy's in 1995....This is more about conforming to the mainstream. TR has gotten into bed with everyone he has claimed to hate over the years( grammy's, late night talk shows, major labels) For years he bashed these people and said he is going to do it on his own, and yet now he's in bed with them.

BRoswell
01-22-2014, 11:36 AM
If you think him playing the Grammy's is about injecting danger into the mainstream, you couldn't be more wrong. maybe had he played the grammy's in 1995....This is more about conforming to the mainstream. TR has gotten into bed with everyone he has claimed to hate over the years( grammy's, late night talk shows, major labels) For years he bashed these people and said he is going to do it on his own, and yet now he's in bed with them.

Conforming to the mainstream? You do realize that Nine Inch Nails has been a mainstream band since the early years, right? There's no conforming being done here.

But since Trent is SUCH a sellout now, are you going to flush all your NIN CDs and DVDs down the drain? After all, you sure wouldn't want to be seen supporting that corporate sellout Trent Reznor, now would you?

billpulsipher
01-22-2014, 11:38 AM
TR created this monster by being the one to state for years how he hates these people....Dont bash them for years and then get in bed with them 2 decades into your career and not expect fallout

BRoswell
01-22-2014, 11:46 AM
TR created this monster by being the one to state for years how he hates these people....Dont bash them for years and then get in bed with them 2 decades into your career and not expect fallout

You mean fallout from people like you who apparently lived under the delusion that Nine Inch Nails WASN'T mainstream for a long time? Yeah, I think he'll get over that.

And when will you people learn that Trent says A LOT OF THINGS. He's a smart man, but he also tends to get ahead of himself. He's a human being, and as such, he has the ability to change his mind about things. I'm sure the Trent of 2007 would balk at the idea of signing to Columbia Records, but time also yields perspective, and maybe the Trent of 2014 realizes that the Trent of 2007, or 1999, or 1994, wasn't right about everything.

But hey, you can keep living in your delusion if you want to. I'm sure you've got an old tube TV in your delusion that replays every music video from Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral on a loop so you can constantly remind yourself of the good ol' days when Trent wasn't such a sellout.

billpulsipher
01-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Faith No More is as anti commercial as it gets, and they have played a bunch of late night talk shows and awards shows and it's fine. because the never went out of their way to say "we are never being a part of that shit"...TR for 2 decades has gone on about "fuck late night talk shows, fuck awards shows, fuck the grammy people, fuck major labels" and now he's in bed with them all. The one time NIN did play an awards show, they did it on their terms, playing an obscure song offf The Fragile in front of a bunch of confused assholes in the audience. If TR comes out and does 'Wish' and screams 'fistfuck' on national tv, then I will give him props. But to slink out onstage, do what the grammy people want you to do, then walk off stage is conforming. Everything he claimed he was against.

I wish someone who interviews him in the next month asks him these things, and he will probably give an answer along the lines of "I realize I am going against everything I used to say, but it's a different age for music, etc etc"

BRoswell
01-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Faith No More is as anti commercial as it gets, and they have played a bunch of late night talk shows and awards shows and it's fine. because the never went out of their way to say "we are never being a part of that shit"...TR for 2 decades has gone on about "fuck late night talk shows, fuck awards shows, fuck the grammy people, fuck major labels" and now he's in bed with them all.

So you've never changed your mind about anything in your life, correct? You've never said one thing, then years later said "Hmm, maybe I was wrong about that." or "Maybe I was right about some things, but wrong about others." You've never done that, right?

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-22-2014, 11:57 AM
I’d imagine that the balance of power with Columbia and Beats is more in his favor. Control has always been a big issue as far back as PHM (it’s in the damn song). If that means he’s becoming one of “those people,” then that’s something he’s gonna have to work out for himself. It’ll give him plenty of new self-doubts to write about. :p

Halo Infinity
01-22-2014, 12:27 PM
From the looks of it, perhaps it would've been better if Trent Reznor never made any promises, and just remained neutral and apathetic to those things. However, of course it's impossible to be that way if that's not his nature and if it's opposed to his actual opinions. It's also simply normal to be fallible while being subject to change our minds, so I'm obviously not holding that against him either. It's like how he changed his mind about file-sharing. That change was more to my preference though. As for Nine Inch Nails getting more exposure, I'm all for it, as he seemed to be way overdue for such kinds of appearances anyway. I'd imagine that Nine Inch Nails could've had much more appearances on TV and the radio back in 1995-2000 if he felt like it and actually enjoyed interviews.

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-22-2014, 12:35 PM
From the looks of it, perhaps it would've been better if Trent Reznor never made any promises, and just remained neutral and apathetic to those things. Of course it's impossible to be that way if that's not your nature and if it's opposed to your actual opinions.
It’s safe to say that’s never been his nature. And I’m not expecting it to change now that he’s “legit” or whatever you want to call it.

If nothing else, we can all agree that 1994 Trent and 2014 Trent would both tell bullpilsipher he’s an asshole.

Volband
01-22-2014, 02:03 PM
From the looks of it, perhaps it would've been better if Trent Reznor never made any promises, and just remained neutral and apathetic to those things. However, of course it's impossible to be that way if that's not his nature and if it's opposed to his actual opinions. It's also simply normal to be fallible while being subject to change our minds, so I'm obviously not holding that against him either. It's like how he changed his mind about file-sharing. That change was more to my preference though. As for Nine Inch Nails getting more exposure, I'm all for it, as he seemed to be way overdue for such kinds of appearances anyway. I'd imagine that Nine Inch Nails could've had much more appearances on TV and the radio back in 1995-2000 if he felt like it and actually enjoyed interviews.
I dunno, Trent being hot-headed and vocal about these things greatly helped me to grow to adore him. Being taught everywhere that you are better off if you are just shut your mouth - and I just couldn't live by this "order" -, then getting to know Trent, who does it anyway, even though he has more to lose was inspiring in a way. It's one of those things you don't demand from a person, but if it's there, you just want to make a fucking "BFF" tattoo for both of you. Oh well.

Anyway, I didn't came here for this! My random NIN thought is that I really, really, really, REALLY wish/hope/want Trent to have a babygirl, because it would be so cool to see what does "Trent Reznor female edition" is like. And then she and her brothers will form the Reznors, to make music to our children. God bless.

My other random nin thought is that I've been wondering what will TR's children think when they'll hear all those lyrics, well Trent implies he sucks and swallows. Daddy playing loud music is fine. Daddy swearing a lot is still fine. Daddy sucking cocks, swallowing things which are probably not meant to be swallowed, and taking things into him will require some psych sessions for sure.

On second thoughts, maybe he's better off not having a babygirl. Explaining these things to boys shouldn't be too easy, but MQ would grow 5-10 years older, when her daughter will stays out for nights, and coming home with the excuse "IF DADDY COULD BE A WHORE, WHY CAN'T I?". Nah, just kidding, she'd be a devoted christian. Then she'll find Heresy... Fuck, that family will have serious issues, I could keep on for hours with this, lol.

Collin
01-22-2014, 02:11 PM
I don't understand all this hate. Frankly, I'm excited that Trent's playing the Grammys- it's a great way to introduce the general public to his music. Who cares if Trent's becoming more promotional as of late? He's on a record label and that's what happens. It'd be pretty immature for someone to show up to the grammys and say "fuck you guys etc." Trent's more mature and he's moved on from that, after all, he's a father of two children now. Besides he made those kind of statements like 20 years ago. It's not affecting the actual quality of the music and it's not like he's being featured on a Kesha song or something. Everyone should just chill out.

billpulsipher
01-22-2014, 02:23 PM
He was making these statements as recently as 2007.....

BRoswell
01-22-2014, 02:47 PM

You never answered my question. ;)

thevoid99
01-22-2014, 03:57 PM
I know there's a lot of people bitching about Trent playing the Grammys. Honestly, is it really that bad? Besides, the worst thing Trent can do is play American Idol or the X-Factor.

Halo Infinity
01-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Whenever I read/see arguments about Nine Inch Nails selling out.

My lips may promise but my heart is a whore. ~Nine Inch Nails - Last

Now... if it said... "My lips never promised, and my heart was never a whore..." :p (Yes, I'm not being completely serious here. That joke just came to mind. And yes, I'm still aware at how much I can suck at joking, and just wanted to get that out of my system for now.) ;)

As for another thought, my interest in Nine Inch Nails is also a highly emotional and sentimental interest from what I've noticed. I know it's nothing new or unusual at ETS, but it's part of why I'm able to listen to Nine Inch Nails over and over again as his albums have really struck a chord with me. It's hard to explain, but I can at least say that it's because it helped a lot whenever I've felt really bad, and why I always end up going back to NIN even if I were to actually not listen to any NIN for a while.

Frozen Beach
01-22-2014, 04:46 PM
While I think it's lame he's performing at the grammys, this statement isn't helping your argument. 2007 wasn't as recent as you think. Also, it doesn't necessarily take people years to change their mind.

Halo Infinity
01-22-2014, 04:46 PM
I know there's a lot of people bitching about Trent playing the Grammys. Honestly, is it really that bad? Besides, the worst thing Trent can do is play American Idol or the X-Factor.
I just had/wanted to, and any reason to also give this video on YouTube more views. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhorm-qEh18

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Would eight years be a more acceptable cooling off period? Ten?

If he’d said it last week you’d be, what? Slightly more pissed/cynical/cranky?

Leviathant
01-22-2014, 05:47 PM

The fallout you're bringing is SEVERE dude. I don't know how he's going to deal with these devastating blows you're reigning down.

I'll put in the word - Trent, you need career advice, because you're obviously blowing it right now. I know just the guy you need to talk to.

orestes
01-22-2014, 05:56 PM
It's threads like these that I wish teitan still posted on this forum.

r_z
01-22-2014, 07:38 PM
When I got into NIN I admired the guy for his integrity and sincerity. In every interview I read, he spoke highly about music as an artform and defended it against sell-out-bands, even at the cost of sounding self indulgent and -important. It was a corner he liked to paint himself in (he still does). It's clear that a lot of that's always been a way to sell a certain narrative/image to fans or media and Trent's always been VERY good at that. However, in recent years he made some decisions, that made me question the above picture. Trying to sell us yet another streaming service as this entirely new thing of the future is one of those decisions. Using his band as a brand to lure fans into buying this app is another. As is returning to the scene performing the exact same songs that allegedly made him feel like he was putting on an act every night just 4 years before. Or putting his music/voice in totally cringeworthy/stupid commercials. I may sound naive here and I'm clearly fitting into the crowd screwdriver ranted at so elaborately in his above post, but that's just how I feel. I still love most of the music, I just became skeptical about the man behind it.

skullboy0
01-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Trying to sell us yet another streaming service as this entirely new thing of the future is one of those decisions. Using his band as a brand to lure fans into buying this app is another.

It's a 4 song REMIX EP. There was a 4 song live EP that was out on Spotify, the only difference is Trent has a financial interest in Beats. If he wanted to "use his band as a brand to lure fans into buying this app" he would've made Hesitation Marks Beats-exclusive.

As is returning to the scene performing the exact same songs that allegedly made him feel like he was putting on an act every night just 4 years before

Hmm, you must've missed the Tension shows where almost half the setlist was new material.

r_z
01-22-2014, 09:07 PM
Hmm, you must've missed the Tension shows where almost half the setlist was new material.

No, I did not. But tell me, what that's got to do with the argument I was making. I'm not complaining about there being shows and tours. I'm "complaining" about him selling "narratives" however he sees fit. And while that's totally up to him, it sours the picture I once had of him.

skullboy0
01-22-2014, 09:36 PM
No, I did not. But tell me, what that's got to do with the argument I was making. I'm not complaining about there being shows and tours. I'm "complaining" about him selling "narratives" however he sees fit. And while that's totally up to him, it sours the picture I once had of him.

He's not going to never play Head Like a Hole again, especially on an arena tour where he's playing venues in the 10,000 seat range.

For the Staples Center show (picked because it's a late tour show that is going to see video release), he played damn near the whole new album he only left out The Eater of Dreams, Everything (neither of which I'd EVER expect to see played since Trent has soured on the latter, the former not really being a "play live" song) & I Would For You (which had been played at earlier shows).

So it wasn't all "the exact same songs that allegedly made him feel like he was putting on an act every night".

When you're playing those kind of venues, there is a certain obligation to "play the hits", & Trent still managed to play every song but two from the new album at some point during the tour.

Halo Infinity
01-22-2014, 11:32 PM
For quite a while, I've always thought that Something I Can Never Have and The Only Time would've been perfect for singles and music videos. It just occurred to me as I was listening to Pretty Hate Machine again.

Oh, and thanks to Closure...

Something I Can Never Have - Whoever threw that, fuck you! All right?

The Only Time - What did you throw up here? What did you throw? Can I offer you a towel in exchange? Thanks man!

Those words are not going away no matter how many times I listen to those songs.

nooneimportant
01-22-2014, 11:55 PM
It's threads like these that I wish teitan still posted on this forum.

If Trent saw what Billpulsipher was posting about him, he would most definitely rip him a new asshole and it would be really entertaining.

I remember some guy on the NIN.com Forums said Trent ripped off "Me, I'm Not" from KMFDM and Trent just tore into the guy.

simonn
01-23-2014, 02:22 AM
My point is that people forget about Atticus and the fact you managed to mention him and then instantly dropped him from the next bit. If it's a too-lazy-to-type thing, TRAR is even faster than Trent to type.

T&A ftw...

r_z
01-23-2014, 04:01 AM
When you're playing those kind of venues, there is a certain obligation to "play the hits".

I don't think that's true and strongly disagree. No artist should have an obligation to anyone.

And while you're right about that show, it doesn't change anything in my argument, still.

icecream
01-23-2014, 12:25 PM
If Trent saw what Billpulsipher was posting about him, he would most definitely rip him a new asshole and it would be really entertaining.

I remember some guy on the NIN.com Forums said Trent ripped off "Me, I'm Not" from KMFDM and Trent just tore into the guy.
What if bill was Trent *head explodes*

m15a
01-23-2014, 12:27 PM
No artist should have an obligation to anyone.

if trent (or robin or whoever) isn't feeling up to it one night and only plays only one song at the concert you attend, you'd be fine with it and not want a refund? or are you just saying that all artists should be rich enough to have no financial concerns? just curious how strong this belief is . . .

r_z
01-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Yeah, let's not get nitpicky, won't we?

Volband
01-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Wait, when I diss Hurt, I always get the "but not EVERYONE has seen it!" reaction. I don't get how this works. The Collector was trent's fav. tack from WT, yet he rarely played it, so don't tell me that the MOTP-Wish-THTF-HLAH-Hurt "super 5" is not something he feels obligatory to do. Either he thinks he has to play them all at every single show, or they are indeed his very favourite music tracks ever done, and he even listens to this 5 songs all day, every day on repeat.

This was the first tour, where he finally managed to NOT play Closer, which says something, if you consider he had a tour before, where he specifically said "no Closer this time".

Every song has a replacement from the NIN catalog, some even more, than the others (I'm looking at you, Hurt, I fucking looking at you!). So I ask you, why does he keep the super 5 around, if he doesn't feel like he have to? Especially in NA, it's disgusting how many venues you guys had the opportunity to attend to, but even there he's not willing to give 1 or god forbid 2 of the 5 songs a rest for a day. Would you Riot if once in a while you'd get Last/HIS instead of Wish, or Ruiner/YKWYA instead of HLAH, or Getting Smaller/NYD instead of MOTP, or Starfuckers/MVH instead of THTF, or all the beautiful tracks Trent made, only to not (or very very very [...] very rarely) play them live instead of Hurt? I didn't get Terrible Lie back in '09, and I'm still sad (and it was their second concert in my country, not like the 1000th one), but I got some other cool and rare songs instead, so I survived.

sheepdean
01-23-2014, 03:51 PM
99% of people at any show are only seeing one show of that tour. Probably 80% of those have never seen NIN before or not for the past 5 years. If he wants to play only the old staples, most people are happy with that. ETS fans are mostly the 1% crazies, stop complaining about him playing songs that you've heard before because you're borderline stalker.

fillow
01-23-2014, 03:59 PM
In fact, there were shows since 2007 that lacked each of MOTP-Wish-THTF-HLAH-Hurt "super 5" (not at the same time, though) and it wasn't because of show being cut short or someone throwing a lighter.

Halo Infinity
01-23-2014, 05:14 PM

I didn't doubt what you said, but I wanted to Google it, and I came across this. I thought it was at the regular NIN.com forums, but it was on The Spiral, which is what I've never been a part of. I also would've love to see other fans' reactions in that thread at the time. :)

http://www.ninwiki.com/Me,_I%27m_Not#Trent_Reznor_on_sounding_like_KMFDM

Volband
01-23-2014, 06:42 PM
99% of people at any show are only seeing one show of that tour. Probably 80% of those have never seen NIN before or not for the past 5 years. If he wants to play only the old staples, most people are happy with that. ETS fans are mostly the 1% crazies, stop complaining about him playing songs that you've heard before because you're borderline stalker.
Okay, then we are back to how he is not free from obligations, proven by a non-nitpicky example.

sheepdean
01-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Maybe he just enjoys playing certain songs (we know he does Hurt, for example), and also knows that the crowd reacts well to them. How bored would a crowd be during AATCHB considering there's many NIN fans who don't even know Still exists

Volband
01-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Maybe he just enjoys playing certain songs (we know he does Hurt, for example), and also knows that the crowd reacts well to them. How bored would a crowd be during AATCHB considering there's many NIN fans who don't even know Still exists
Maybe, but if it was played in every three shows, the word would get around, and people could sing along. And there's also LITS, RWIB, Zero-Sum, TGB, Non-Entity, LEAVING HOPE (okay, I can see why he isn't playing that as a closer, or at all). But hey, ITT could close the shows during LITS, so I think songs like Home, Sunspots, BYIT, TDTWWWA could make the cut there, hell, even The Fragile would fit, but that's just my wet dream.

Also, not closing with Hurt doesn't necessary mean not playing Hurt at all. Trent said he doesn't want to be his own tribute band, and that he wants to make every tour special, and this time there'll be less focus on the visuals, which should result in a less tighter setlist. It's understandable that Trent won't create 100 unique visuals just so that he can play a whole different setlist every night - and he also got the backup singers, so he had to chose songs they can fit into -, but for the next leg, I'll have my hopes up.

One thing I'm worried about is that it seems songs that has been incorporated into other live performances (TOT, HIS, Z-S, Sunspots, Closer, and I'm probably missing some) have not been played live since as a stand-alone song. This theory will probably break, because I can't imagine him not busting Closer out at least once in a while, but it's somewhat different, because it's fucking Closer, of course he wil play it. Howewer, Trent's thought process with the other songs could've been "Weelll they have certain elements that are really cool, but I either find them boring as a whole, can't fit them into the setlist, can't rework them to fit the setlist, or just can't sing them - fuck you Sunspots -, so I'll rather integrate it in my other songs, to make the best of both worlds!", which is really smart, but makes me a sad panda. I'm spoiled, I know.

nooneimportant
01-23-2014, 08:55 PM
It's pretty obvious why he played Closer in 2009. They were in Asia and the Phillipines got it's first NIN show ever along with a few other places.

You need to chill out and just enjoy the music.

m15a
01-23-2014, 11:34 PM
Okay, then we are back to how he is not free from obligations, proven by a non-nitpicky example.

i don't want to speak for everyone, but i have strong feeling that most on here aren't disagreeing with you on that point. being that to say NIN is, or ever was, free of obligations is absurd.

whether obligations are a hinderance to creativity is a much broader question. (not saying it's one worth debating here.)

Halo Infinity
01-24-2014, 02:09 PM
It seems like I find 1,000,000 and Echoplex to be the most relatable songs to me from The Slip. It's also great that I love those songs live. Which is cool to me, as The Slip is actually the least listened to of my Nine Inch Nails collection, but still listened to more than Ghosts I-IV. :D

-Edit-

Oh okay, and Head Down as well, since I've felt out of place for about as long as I can remember. :p

icecream
01-24-2014, 06:39 PM
It seems like I find 1,000,000 and Echoplex to be the most relatable songs to me from The Slip. It's also great that I love those songs live. Which is cool to me, as The Slip is actually the least listened to of my Nine Inch Nails collection, but still listened to more than Ghosts I-IV. :D

-Edit-

Oh okay, and Head Down as well, since I've felt out of place for about as long as I can remember. :p
Agreed about The Slip songs live. Though, it would be cool to see Lights in the Sky show up for a tour or so.

sick among the pure
01-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Agreed about The Slip songs live. Though, it would be cool to see Lights in the Sky show up for a tour or so.

They played it at one of the nights for Wave Goodbye in Chicago. All I can remember is I would hear people talking louder than Trent was singing, and people were trying to clap along, which never goes well, and they got off beat quickly. It was sad, because that song really is beautiful, but the audience kinda ruined it.

icecream
01-24-2014, 11:31 PM
They played it at one of the nights for Wave Goodbye in Chicago. All I can remember is I would hear people talking louder than Trent was singing, and people were trying to clap along, which never goes well, and they got off beat quickly. It was sad, because that song really is beautiful, but the audience kinda ruined it.
I hate people who think it's time to talk during the slow/quiet songs. They must have payed a small fortune for the club show tickets and all they did was ruin a moment for fans who wanted to take in NIN's last shows, (so we thought). Here's hoping it works it way back into the setlist so you can experience it properly one day!

ryanmcfly
01-25-2014, 12:24 AM
I loved seeing Lights of the Sky in Austin that year.

Halo Infinity
01-25-2014, 12:26 AM
I hate people who think it's time to talk during the slow/quiet songs. They must have payed a small fortune for the club show tickets and all they did was ruin a moment for fans who wanted to take in NIN's last shows, (so we thought). Here's hoping it works it way back into the setlist so you can experience it properly one day!
And they not only talk, some of them even yell. I was guessing that I should've been thankful that the seats where I was sitting, and some stranger was sitting at as very far away from the stage at the second NIN show I've attended in Wantagh, NY in Nikon at the Jones Beach Theater in 2009. He kept screaming, "Johnny Cash!!!" repetitiously at the top of his lungs when NIN was performing Hurt, while possibly yelling other jokes suggesting that Johnny Cash wrote Hurt. I could only imagine how Trent would've reacted if he was yelling that while standing directly in front of the stage at the closest row. Another friend who I was with at the time also heard some people complaining about the slow/quiet songs as they wanted him to "just get on with it so they can hear the heavier/louder/faster stuff already".

icecream
01-25-2014, 04:17 AM
And they not only talk, some of them even yell. I was guessing that I should've been thankful that the seats where I was sitting, and some stranger was sitting at as very far away from the stage at the second NIN show I've attended in Wantagh, NY in Nikon at the Jones Beach Theater in 2009. He kept screaming, "Johnny Cash!!!" repetitiously at the top of his lungs when NIN was performing Hurt, while possibly yelling other jokes suggesting that Johnny Cash wrote Hurt. I could only imagine how Trent would've reacted if he was yelling that while standing directly in front of the stage at the closest row. Another friend who I was with at the time also heard some people complaining about the slow/quiet songs as they wanted him to "just get on with it so they can hear the heavier/louder/faster stuff already".
Ugggggh, drives me crazy! I had a group behind me at the Tension show I was at who argued over the last beer during the Frail and then spilled it over my friend and me. I would have thought during the club shows NIN plays all the audience would be filled with fans who would respect the band enough to not talk during any part of the set, yet alone the quieter songs.

nooneimportant
01-25-2014, 05:56 AM
Ugggggh, drives me crazy! I had a group behind me at the Tension show I was at who argued over the last beer during the Frail and then spilled it over my friend and me. I would have thought during the club shows NIN plays all the audience would be filled with fans who would respect the band enough to not talk during any part of the set, yet alone the quieter songs.

The final Wave Goodbye shows were filled with some hardcore fans. If you watch the The Downward Spiral Live videos, the venue is practically filled with ETSers. :p

Trains
01-25-2014, 07:24 AM

I had this exact experience at the Knebworth festival in 2009. It felt like nobody in the crowd wanted to watch the band. I remember Trent bringing out a lot of quieter songs during that set (LITS, Gone, Still and SICNH), and it just seemed to fall flat on everyone around me. I was near the barrier in front of Justin, and he just looked really uncomfortable throughout the whole thing. There were dudes shouting things like 'it's not working Trent' all throughout the set. Totally killed the atmosphere for me and the few fans I could spot in the crowd (who all seemed pretty crestfallen by the experience). Which sucked considering that at the time I was under the impression this would be the last time I'd ever see the band.

Halo Infinity
01-25-2014, 01:13 PM
It really makes it seems like those types of fans aren't really into The Fragile and And All That Could Have Been (Still). Then again, aren't there a lot of fans that still have no idea about Still? (Oh... the NIN puns never really seem to stop... do they?) :p

And Still is criminally underrated. I know this isn't anything new, but I really like seeing Still as the bridge between The Fragile and With Teeth in the same way that Broken in the bridge between Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral. I still think it sucks that Still wasn't sold in stores back then, especially as a separate disc. Yes, I remember that deluxe edition of AATCHB. I wish it wasn't limited either. (However, with the way CD stores/stocks have been vanishing in real life, it seems to make no difference now, and I'm at least thankful that it can still be ordered online.)

WorzelG
01-25-2014, 04:21 PM
Today, my toddler, who loves getting all the CDs out from our CD rack and throwing them on the floor, managed to get the Fixed cd out of the case and stand on it, breaking it into 3 pieces, irony that it was fixed and not broken

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-25-2014, 04:58 PM
That’s what happens when you let the kids out of their cages. You’d think people would learn…

(Not a parent.)

Volband
01-25-2014, 06:42 PM
Today, my toddler, who loves getting all the CDs out from our CD rack and throwing them on the floor, managed to get the Fixed cd out of the case and stand on it, breaking it into 3 pieces, irony that it was fixed and not broken
He(/she) might've heard you play it. That would explain a lot. Loop La Mer for him/her and you won't have any problems.

(Not a parent.)

SarahConnor
01-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Anyone posting in this thread ever written a setlist?

FernandoDante
01-25-2014, 09:03 PM
About the Rolling Stone interview with Trent where he mentions new music:

I think it's just the Gone Girl OST. Though the interview was published after the announcement, I'm guessing it was actually recorded before. I don't see Trent touring, writing a major OST, AND a NIN album at the same time.

sick among the pure
01-25-2014, 09:31 PM
The final Wave Goodbye shows were filled with some hardcore fans. If you watch the The Downward Spiral Live videos, the venue is practically filled with ETSers. :p

Which is why a lot of people on here realize they know who I am if I mention being the guy with the mohawk in 90's NIN black and cornstarch at the Chicago shows.
I need to make a new ETS laminate before the next US tour.

Halo Infinity
01-26-2014, 12:40 AM
I'm liking this mostly for the irony, because I love Fixed. This also caused me to imagine Broken being stepped on to skip in a way to sort of sounds like Fixed. I'm not a parent either, but if I ever had a child, I just knew I'd find myself keeping anything that had discs in drawers or boxes in areas the child couldn't get to. (It's also funny how all the non-parents have thought of these precautions.)

Yes... I'm also not a parent. Oh wait, I already said that. :p

Halo Infinity
01-26-2014, 02:27 AM
I'm also not alone here, and regular addictions aside... even when I really wanted/could've/had to take a break from ETS, just one little appearance, or a few little appearances here and there give me a reason to almost post incessantly, as if NIN sort of put something out. It's crazy, but thank goodness I'm not alone on this when it comes to ETS and NIN.com. (However, I haven't been posting there that much as of late. I still lurk NIN.com occasionally though, and sometimes post.) And well, what a way for Nine Inch Nails to start 2014.

And oh sweet! March 8th is on a Saturday this year. :D Oh crap... but August 13th is on Wednesday. Oh well. ;)

Highly Psychological
01-26-2014, 01:06 PM
So Trent has a new manager and team behind him, they are doing a fucking amazing job, the upcoming NIN UK tour is being advertised EVERYWHERE.

I keep seeing the NIN logo on every UK website i visit, including the Daily Mail which is very close to being the biggest English speaking paper online after the New York times. Even small websites have the NIN London date advertised.
The dates are being advertised all over the London underground, and outside shops its crazy i tell you!!

Shame the team were not around last summer for the Hesitation Marks promotion, it got to number 2 in the charts here on its own, if these guys had been behind NIN then the album would definitely have gone to number 1.

icecream
01-26-2014, 01:36 PM
So Trent has a new manager and team behind him, they are doing a fucking amazing job, the upcoming NIN UK tour is being advertised EVERYWHERE.

I keep seeing the NIN logo on every UK website i visit, including the Daily Mail which is very close to being the biggest English speaking paper online after the New York times. Even small websites have the NIN London date advertised.
The dates are being advertised all over the London underground, and outside shops its crazy i tell you!!

Shame the team were not around last summer for the Hesitation Marks promotion, it got to number 2 in the charts here on its own, if these guys had been behind NIN then the album would definitely have gone to number 1.
The promotion for Tension was pretty weak where I live. At a bar after the show the guy next to me was a fan but didn't even know they were coming until it was too late to get time off work. Good to hear about the promotion being so strong there.

ManOfAtom
01-26-2014, 04:32 PM

doesnt account for for the tube ads (and HM had tube ads too), but the web ads are probably served to you based on your browsing history.

Halo Infinity
01-26-2014, 04:46 PM
This is more like a random NIN thought combined with a random ETS thought. (This also even looks like a borderline Luv List post.) The top 3 ETS members I'd love to see on Jeopardy! if it had nothing but questions on Nine Inch Nails would be the following. I'd really enjoy the hell of out it.

Leviathant
sheepdean
meathead - Well... he's clearly not a member now... but still. That would be rather interesting.

I also thought of Rob Sheridan too, but wondered just how unfair that would obviously be. :p However, even just a NIN trivia contest between Leviathant and sheepdean alone would be an awesome sight to behold.

@Leviathant (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1) @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350) - I certainly hope that the both of you find this very flattering, as I really am very much impressed. :)

sheepdean
01-26-2014, 04:49 PM
I'd personally say a couple of other stalkers ETS folk would do a bit better than me, though I'd clean the board on HTDA :P

TheBang
01-27-2014, 04:45 PM
doesnt account for for the tube ads (and HM had tube ads too), but the web ads are probably served to you based on your browsing history.
Exactly, it's called remarketing.

https://www.google.com/ads/innovations/remarketing.html
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453998?hl=en

tony_crisp
01-27-2014, 08:41 PM
I'm the same age that Trent was in between Further Down the Spiral the The Perfect Drug.

r_z
01-28-2014, 01:01 AM
I'd personally say a couple of other stalkers ETS folk would do a bit better than me, though I'd clean the board on HTDA :P

Yo, aren't you following anything NIN does like sheep, Dean?

Oh my god.

PhoenixML
01-28-2014, 09:42 AM
So, it's probably a given, but, Seed 09 might/could be "NINQOTSA" or " NINQOTSA 2014 EP"?

tony.parente
01-28-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm the same age that Trent was in between Further Down the Spiral the The Perfect Drug.

I'm the same age that Trent was when he recorded broken.
o.0

sheepdean
01-28-2014, 10:44 AM
I'm the same age Trent was when he was my age

Also, next year NIN will be 26, and so I expect a Broken reissue twenty-six years on my way to hell

Halo Infinity
01-28-2014, 04:14 PM
I've always imagined and fantasized a Broken reissue having two discs.

CD: Broken & Fixed as both of them clock under 80 minutes long when combined at 73 minutes and 32 seconds long. It would also just have 14 tracks, which is around the amount of tracks a regular album would have. It's just that the second half of it would be the remix album instead.

DVD: The Broken movie with any type of commentary that would and could be actually feasible.

But of course, all of that is just a mere fantasy.

sheepdean
01-28-2014, 04:41 PM
I've always imagined and fantasized a Broken reissue having two discs.

CD: Broken & Fixed as both of them clock under 80 minutes long when combined at 73 minutes and 32 seconds long. It would also just have 14 tracks, which is around the amount of tracks a regular album would have. It's just that the second half of it would be the remix album instead.

DVD: The Broken movie with any type of commentary that would and could be actually feasible.

But of course, all of that is just a mere fantasy.I'd say Three discs, just because I don't think Fixed should be attached. However, that movie needs an official release, not only because TPB is blocked in the UK and not everyone even knows how to torrent.

Pipe dream.

ItsJustDave
01-28-2014, 05:05 PM
If they reissue broken, they should include the following (for completions sake):
VIP Slavery remixes
Last (Butch Vig mix)
Early live versions of the broken tracks
If legal issues stand in the way of of the video being released, a pro printed blank DVD-r would be a nice addition

Charmingly Miserable
01-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Played Ruiner in the car this morning on the way to work. It was refreshing.

Halo Infinity
01-29-2014, 04:06 AM
Charmingly Miserable - Oh yes, Ruiner has also given me that feeling as well. I hope you also like the demo version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX63nXJJhwg

And as nemesiswontdie said in the video upload, NINjoy! :)

icklekitty
01-29-2014, 06:23 AM
If they reissue broken, they should include the following (for completions sake):
VIP Slavery remixes
Last (Butch Vig mix)
Early live versions of the broken tracks
If legal issues stand in the way of of the video being released, a pro printed blank DVD-r would be a nice addition

And the deluxe edition comes with a free toilet.

eayost
01-29-2014, 06:36 AM
About the Rolling Stone interview with Trent where he mentions new music:

I think it's just the Gone Girl OST. Though the interview was published after the announcement, I'm guessing it was actually recorded before. I don't see Trent touring, writing a major OST, AND a NIN album at the same time.

This "Greatest Hits" thing is still supposed to happen at some point too. If he was originally including 2 new tracks, maybe he's contractually obligated to do so (or he just wants something new there to add value). Maybe there will be some new music in this form. I'd actually like to hear a couple songs that don't need to be part of something bigger like an entire album.

Halo Infinity
01-29-2014, 04:55 PM
These are two habits I've actually gotten from watching and listening to Nine Inch Nails. For the first habit, look at the way Trent Reznor lifts his arm when he starts to perform Piggy in Closure in the first few seconds. I've actually used that to greet people when waving, but just a little bit quicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GUo_3ZfsVo

As for the second habit, I've gotten it from And All That Could Have Been (Live). Listen to the sound he makes around the 2:37-2:38 mark on Gave Up. I sometimes have a tendency to make that sound whenever I hear something disturbing, awkward, and unsettling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-4-x_nvxI

I've been doing it so many times, that I sometimes don't even think about it at all. :p

Ryan
01-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Time is tick tick ticking away, Trent -

http://www.ninwiki.com/images/3/3c/Questions10.gif

Halo Infinity
01-29-2014, 07:53 PM
This is yet again another fantasy, but I really hope that Nine Inch Nails has a tour date in Manhattan the next time he returns to perform in New York City. It really is still a much better commute from my location in Queens, as I live around 30 to 40 minutes away from the subway.

Ryan
01-31-2014, 12:17 AM
tracks will fade in the snow
you won't find me here

The way that part is sung and the lyrics themselves are so heart wrenching.

Halo Infinity
01-31-2014, 07:47 AM
This might also count as a controversial NIN opinion, but the version of The Becoming on And All That Could Have Been (Still) got me more into The Becoming. I used to keep skipping it to listen to I Do No Want This after listening to Ruiner.

ethan829
01-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Which NIN song do people thing has the best drums? For me, it has to be Into The Void. For such a restrained drum pattern, it carries so much energy & I can't help but wish I knew how to play drums and had an electric kit whenever it comes on.

There's something awesome about the opening drums of The Collector.

Vertigo
01-31-2014, 04:38 PM
Which NIN song do people thing has the best drums? For me, it has to be Into The Void. For such a restrained drum pattern, it carries so much energy & I can't help but wish I knew how to play drums and had an electric kit whenever it comes on.

You Know What You Are. Generally I'm not sure Dave Grohl was the best choice for With Teeth, but I can't imagine anyone performing that particular track any better.

Runners-up... Big Man With A Gun, March Of The Pigs, Perfect Drug. Happiness In Slavery's breakdown percussion is rather badass too, but I'm not sure how much of that could be classified as drumming...

Halo Infinity
01-31-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm the same age Trent was when he was my age

Also, next year NIN will be 26, and so I expect a Broken reissue twenty-six years on my way to hell
I suppose I'll also continue this trend. :p

As of now, I'm the same age Trent Reznor was when he released The Downward Spiral.

nooneimportant
01-31-2014, 05:37 PM

The entire With Teeth album has monstrous drums.

darksiren82
01-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Played Ruiner in the car this morning on the way to work. It was refreshing.
Had a similar moment on the way to the gym yesterday with "Please"...haven't heard the song in at least 5 years, but sang every word loudly and off-key like I loved it.

InvitingmeAway
01-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Had a mix of With Teeth and The Fragile playing on my ipod. It fits in an interesting way.

Halo Infinity
01-31-2014, 09:15 PM
I just thought of posting the following URLs in hopes for more up votes for Urban Dictionary's first definitions for Nine Inch Nails, Trent Reznor, and Echoing The Sound. I couldn't seem to find one on The NIN Hotline though.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nine inch nails&defid=652816

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trent Reznor&defid=1159286

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Echoing The Sound&defid=639435

hobochic
02-02-2014, 01:59 PM
In a galaxy far, far away...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qUnaSPRw8DQ/UXphTpIL7cI/AAAAAAAAMIo/MiW5lgI1QQA/s1600/gl1.jpg

http://thisrecording.com/storage/unddddday.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=129804496 0422

staleincense
02-02-2014, 02:06 PM
I suppose I'll also continue this trend. :p

As of now, I'm the same age Trent Reznor was when he released The Downward Spiral.
I'm the same age Trent was when he founded Option 30

lol

Halo Infinity
02-02-2014, 08:15 PM
As far as the post-The Fragile albums go for me as of right now, I think I've been listening to With Teeth and Hesitation Marks the most.

Ryan
02-02-2014, 08:58 PM
http://thisrecording.com/storage/unddddday.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=129804496 0422

I adore that shot. Wish there was video footage to go with it and see how it all played out.

Halo Infinity
02-02-2014, 09:54 PM
I'm definitely going to be on the lookout to see if there will be far more members and guests online at ETS on March 8, 2014, May 30, 2014, and August 13, 2014. I also can't believe I didn't say that ASAP on New Year's Day. Oh well, better late than never I suppose, as this post was made in February of 2014.

Vertigo
02-03-2014, 02:35 AM
[ http://thisrecording.com/storage/unddddday.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=129804496 0422 ]
I adore that shot. Wish there was video footage to go with it and see how it all played out.

It's my very favourite NIN photo, full stop. Conveys such palpable atmosphere, emotion and texture. I'd love to know how the shot was achieved, in terms of camera, film etc.

WorzelG
02-03-2014, 03:40 AM
I'm definitely going to be on the lookout to see if there will be far more members and guests online at ETS on March 8, 2014, May 30, 2014, and August 13, 2014. I also can't believe I didn't say that ASAP on New Year's Day. Oh well, better late than never I suppose, as this post was made in February of 2014.
What's the significance of the August date?

[73]
02-03-2014, 04:24 AM
What's the significance of the August date?
"Copy of A" was released August 13, 2013.

BenAkenobi
02-03-2014, 05:44 AM
13 August 1994 = nin at Woodstock, but who cares, really

Halo Infinity
02-03-2014, 06:44 AM
I just put that there for fun, and I tend to think about important dates like that after 5 or 10 years passes by. (Or multiples of 5 or 10 years, considering how both of those dates will turn 20 this year.) I think I'm going listen to the entire The Downward Spiral, and watch the entire Woodstock 1994 performance on those dates, while being sure to blast them.

cashpiles (closed)
02-03-2014, 07:02 AM
What follows is from the soul:

Throughout the history of mankind, there have always arisen great masters of various arts and disciplines. It can be said that Trent Reznor, the intellect behind Nine Inch Nails, belongs among these beacons of light. But who should continue the legacy, once these great masters enter the abyss, where all things must eventually return? What if a protégé was chosen? Socrates had Plato. Plato had Aristotle. Dr. Dre has Eminem. What of Trent Reznor? It is debatable as to whether or not his powers have reached their apex. Some say his light will never illuminate Mother Earth as it once did. In any case, he is not immortal (as far as we know). Would it not be wise of Trent Reznor, and beneficial to all, if he began training a disciple: a chosen one, with extraordinary gifts and blessed by nature, who could continue the Nine Inch Nails legacy: one who could take on the Nine Inch Nails mantle, and carry it forward into the next generation. Imagine, a Nine Inch Nails record, created entirely by Trent Reznor's protégé. It would be incredible.

r_z
02-03-2014, 07:41 AM
I really like your sense of humor.

Volband
02-03-2014, 12:30 PM
The entire With Teeth album has monstrous drums.
This. My favourite in that regard is The Collector. I just want to destroy everything when it starts.

eversonpoe
02-03-2014, 04:15 PM
This. My favourite in that regard is The Collector. I just want to destroy everything when it starts.

that's how i feel during the entirety of the line begins to blur. oh man...

Halo Infinity
02-03-2014, 04:27 PM
The drumming and the bass really were among my most favorite things about With Teeth. I also loved the bass and drumming in All The Love In The World. I think this is also another reasons as to why I also prefer The Collector, With Teeth, Only, and The Line Begins to Blur live. Home is another song with my favorite drumming as well.

eversonpoe
02-04-2014, 08:20 AM
i would kill for a release of "Still" on vinyl. i can understand why the main part of "and all that could have been" didn't receive a vinyl release, but why didn't Still? it would be so perfect. a single 12" record with the first five tracks on side A and the last four on side B. or a double 10". for how much trent loves vinyl, i'm really surprised this never happened.

theimage13
02-04-2014, 09:29 AM
In a galaxy far, far away...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qUnaSPRw8DQ/UXphTpIL7cI/AAAAAAAAMIo/MiW5lgI1QQA/s1600/gl1.jpg

I don't get it. What am I missing?

Inkë
02-04-2014, 09:48 AM
I like to listen to quiet albums, and when it softly ends, smash The Line Begins To Blur. No... I love it.

hobochic
02-04-2014, 01:58 PM
I don't get it. What am I missing?

Not your fault, I was toying with the idea of the Lucas & Reznor Chronicles. I originally intended to continue the post with:

"...to a galaxy not so long ago":

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/jar-.jpeg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5a/Capitalg.jpg/220px-Capitalg.jpg

Present Day:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-i_LLO62UL7M/UJCiasFn-gI/AAAAAAAARqI/nocGSoF-Al0/s400/George%2BLucas_Disney_Star%2BWars%2BEpisode%2BVII. png

http://31.media.tumblr.com/5dfe65390fdfb74a7acd8c297882a895/tumblr_mz9py1lTYl1rxhqjzo1_500.jpg

seasonsinthesky
02-05-2014, 09:04 AM
i would kill for a release of "Still" on vinyl. i can understand why the main part of "and all that could have been" didn't receive a vinyl release, but why didn't Still? it would be so perfect. a single 12" record with the first five tracks on side A and the last four on side B. or a double 10". for how much trent loves vinyl, i'm really surprised this never happened.

completely agreed. either there's something weird about the Halo 17 release setup that prevents it or (more likely) TR is waiting to do it later for some reason, like the anniversary release of TF.

r_z
02-05-2014, 09:49 AM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/5dfe65390fdfb74a7acd8c297882a895/tumblr_mz9py1lTYl1rxhqjzo1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/e1461dcbde1bbfe609819253d101c3f5/tumblr_mzvwxn5rfz1qg3rm7o1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d234952344f56bfb4958828719a39766/tumblr_mzvwteDh1s1qg3rm7o1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/2014f72f8ca731de53dc6354847d0265/tumblr_mzvwnkqnAZ1qg3rm7o1_400.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/a2f2ce2305849ad16cb8ab12ff28dddf/tumblr_mtr42jE8i91qg3rm7o1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/64e7677a2ea8abb52e374b2a8fa820a1/tumblr_mqyahdldD11qg3rm7o1_500.jpg

fillow
02-05-2014, 11:17 AM
http://i60.tinypic.com/2j1wzf8.jpg

botley
02-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Go easy on the pot brownies, guys.

dvdglss
02-05-2014, 01:25 PM

Never saw this shot before! that'f a fucking great picture.

Halo Infinity
02-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Aside from knowing that the enemy Reznor in Super Mario World was really named after Trent Reznor, I also like how befitting that mini-boss battle is, since it's above a pit of lava, while the Reznors breath fire, considering how there is an actual Reznor heating company. (Which also does air conditioning.) It also cheers me up because Super Mario World is also still among one of my most favorite video games of all time, and in return, it also gets me to think of Pretty Hate Machine and Broken. (And well, yes, this is a random NIN thought after all.)

-Edit-

And knowing that the Reznors were really named after Trent Reznor made me even much more happier knowing that this actually exists. Yeah, sure, I've heard it before, but knowing that really sealed it for me really good. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVrSJyS6XR4

kel
02-05-2014, 11:11 PM
happy girls eating salad! i saw that on ellen.

on topic (and speaking of), i think a performance on her show would not only be appropriate, but well received at this point. i thought this when i saw her amazing beats commercials. i wouldn't be surprised if she was a fan.

sick among the pure
02-06-2014, 12:09 AM
happy girls eating salad! i saw that on ellen.

on topic (and speaking of), i think a performance on her show would not only be appropriate, but well received at this point. i thought this when i saw her amazing beats commercials. i wouldn't be surprised if she was a fan.

I know of 2 times Ellen has mentioned NIN. Once, in one of her stand up specials (I have 2 on dvd, can't remember which it was) she made a joke about organizing her music collection by category. The Cranberries were with Meatloaf, The Doors and The Carpenters were with Nine Inch Nails. etc. Another time, she was interviewing some little girl who sings, and she asked her (jokingly) if she listens to or else likes to sing (can't remember) Nine Inch Nails.
I am sure Ellen is a fan, to some extent.

kel
02-06-2014, 12:16 AM
ha. i see what she did there.

she's had some interesting acts from weird corners here and there on her show. i know her taste in music is vast and that she cares about who they book on a personal level. i bet her and trent would have crazy good chemistry.

Fangster_
02-06-2014, 11:31 AM

That specific shade of the dark bags underneath Jeordie's eyes suggest this was indeed taken at The Last Supper of Performance 2007.

Also, random ETS comment and pet peeve: @Kris (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=244), don't you know life is too short not to abbreviate on a fan forum? Pigs know their PHMs n' BYITs. I can feel your fingers cramping up every time you type out And All That Could Have Been (Still). Wow that was actually exhausting.

On topic: IMO TR is GOAT

Halo Infinity
02-06-2014, 12:16 PM
For quite a while, I've always had a feeling somebody would notice, but not say anything. I've actually abbreviated some titles from time to time though. I have said PHM, TDS, and TF before, but it happened so scarcely. And yes, TR AKA NIN is awesome. How are those acronyms? ;)

Fangster_
02-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Fair enough. Not that it really bugs me all that much.

Just noticed how I myself had written Jeordies eye's. Ugh, now how terrible is that?

skullboy0
02-06-2014, 02:29 PM
The first few times I saw "While I'm Still Here" abbreviated as WISH, I got it confused with "Wish".

Guess is as good a place as any to say that when/if Trent does another NIN album, all the song titles when abbreviated should spell out other NIN songs, CLOSER, LAST, etc

gorast
02-06-2014, 03:51 PM
the first few times i saw "while i'm still here" abbreviated as wish, i got it confused with "wish".

Guess is as good a place as any to say that when/if trent does another nin album, all the song titles when abbreviated should spell out other nin songs, closer, last, etc
HELPMEIAMINHELL

this post isn't in all caps no sir

Halo Infinity
02-06-2014, 06:24 PM
I still have yet to hear Pilgrimage being covered by the use of a kazoo, or multiple kazoos. Any other instrumental by NIN would be just fine by me too. I've always imagined that it would sound hilarious, and I've always gotten that idea from this particular article from The Meathead Perspective.

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp991006.htm

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-07-2014, 12:37 AM
I still have yet to hear Pilgrimage being covered by the use of a kazoo, or multiple kazoos.
That might actually get me to listen to P again.

…What? I acronymed it, didn’t I?

eversonpoe
02-07-2014, 08:17 AM
why do so many people dislike pilgrimage? i love it! should this go in the controversial opinions thread? maybe!

seasonsinthesky
02-07-2014, 01:25 PM
why do so many people dislike pilgrimage? i love it! should this go in the controversial opinions thread? maybe!

took me years to get into that track. i would actually skip it even though the first disc is basically perfect. obviously it must be well liked by TR, considering it was the ending of the album until they got Ezrin involved.

SarahConnor
02-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Somewhat related: you gotta play Super Mario Land 2 as soon as you can, it is one of the greatest games ever. I'm stuck on level three right now.

Halo Infinity
02-07-2014, 04:24 PM
I still love that game, and would still highly recommend it to anybody that has played and liked/loved Super Mario Bros. 3 and/or Super Mario World. As for a random NIN thought, count me in for the love of Pilgrimage, as it really is one of the best songs from the Left disc of The Fragile. I'm also a bit surprised that Pilgrimage wasn't used for 300 now that I've thought about it again. This isn't to say that Just Like You Imagined wasn't a good choice either. I'm just saying.

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Of all the tracks on Left, it’s the only one that makes me say “meh.” Maybe I just don’t get why it’s there.

OTOH, it took me a long time to warm up to some of the songs on Right. Kazoos might do the trick. :p

As for a random NIN thought, count me in for the love of Pilgrimage, as it really is one of the best songs from the Left disc of The Fragile. I'm also a bit surprised that Pilgrimage wasn't used for 300 now that I've thought about it again. This isn't to say that Just Like You Imagined wasn't a good choice either. I'm just saying.
JLYI on the other hand is one of my three favorite Fragile tracks (and the only one of them I haven’t seen live in person).

Halo Infinity
02-08-2014, 09:33 AM
This thread is further reminding me just how much I end up thinking about Nine Inch Nails. It just seems so effortless for me to post in this thread. Dare I say though, if a new album really does come out this year, it really will be the second time NIN had an album 1 year apart from the previous one. And well, at least I've also lived to have been able to see and say that NIN released 2 albums in the same year.

As for With Teeth again, while it has thankfully grown on me more and more, I suppose I also have a soft spot for it as it really was the first NIN album I've waited for since becoming a fan in late 2002. I still remember just how psyched I got when I heard and saw the trailer that had a few seconds of Beside You In Time in it for the very first time. For a moment there, I thought that BYIT was going to be the Eraser of With Teeth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPvAXYRyhLM

sick among the pure
02-08-2014, 08:59 PM
I miss having a slow build up with a slow website change and little teasers like that. One of the things that got me the most psyched up for WT and YZ were watching the website slowly change, every few days an update with some cryptic message and a new distorted image that would eventually turn into a piece of album art of a short clip of some out of context sound from a song. I'm not bashing the more instant gratification way we've gotten things more recently than YZ, though.

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-09-2014, 02:29 AM
All of it is a slow build. HM, Tension, ACL, the Grammys — Trent is setting us up for the bluegrass sequel to YZ. ;)

I totally deserve to get facepalmed by sheepdean for that one.

BenAkenobi
02-09-2014, 02:41 AM
ACL
what's ACL?

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-09-2014, 02:51 AM
(Austin City Limits.)

BenAkenobi
02-09-2014, 02:58 AM
What is (Austin City Limits.) then?

--edit--
okay, figured it out with google's help. it's one particular show of same tour, don't know why it matters this much to be mentioned alongside said tour, but whateva
--end of edit--

scorpiusdiamond
02-09-2014, 10:42 AM
So I just threw this together for the hell of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkMquNU2H1M

sick among the pure
02-09-2014, 01:57 PM
So I just threw this together for the hell of it
I like that you cut out Josh's kids screaming in slow motion in the bathtub. I wouldn't be a fair comparison, Ilan just can't compete with that.

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-09-2014, 04:47 PM
okay, figured it out with google's help. it's one particular show of same tour, don't know why it matters this much to be mentioned alongside said tour, but whateva

Appearing on a PBS TV show was one of several “He’s doing what?” moments. There’s a whole thread devoted to it.

sheepdean
02-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Trent should open every show with the beginning notes of TPD, and then never play it, just to fuck with people.

And maybe close with the end of Purest Feeling

fillow
02-10-2014, 09:10 AM
On this date 7 years ago NIN started Performance 2007 and Last was played for the 1st time.
On this date 8 years ago NIN started With Teeth winter arena tour and Pilgrimage intro was played for the 1st time.

jmtd
02-11-2014, 08:44 AM
As of right now, NIN is top of my all-time artists on last.fm (http://www.last.fm/user/jmtd), with 666 plays. (not on purpose)

For a moment there, I thought that BYIT was going to be the Eraser of With Teeth.

It is, isn't it?

Halo Infinity
02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
In some ways, yes, but I also like it in a The Day The World Went Away way.

Charmingly Miserable
02-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Super random NIN thought: I bet Trent and Chuck Norris would make one bad ass crime fighting duo.

butter_hole
02-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Super random NIN thought: I bet Trent and Chuck Norris would make one bad ass crime fighting duo.
pretty sure a 73 year old actor and a 48 year old musician with no formal police training would be a terrible crime fighting duo

Charmingly Miserable
02-11-2014, 09:14 PM
pretty sure a 73 year old actor and a 48 year old musician with no formal police training would be a terrible crime fighting duo
Work with my fantasy here, ok? lol

Halo Infinity
02-11-2014, 11:49 PM
I certainly hope that Somewhat Damaged ends up on the Tension DVD.

bgalbraith
02-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Something I Can Never Halve - Trent struggling with Xeno's paradoxes.

Ryan
02-12-2014, 09:37 PM
"the fabric starts to tear
and i don't really care"

Love that part of TLBTB.

imail724
02-12-2014, 11:04 PM
"the fabric starts to tear
it's far beyond repair
and i don't really care"

Love that part of TLBTB.
you skipped a line

Ryan
02-12-2014, 11:06 PM
Oh I did too. Yeah those three lines are great.

nooneimportant
02-12-2014, 11:41 PM
MUSIC MAKES YOU LOSE CONTROL.... CONTROL, CONTROL, CONTROL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYhMgb9rVAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AcGtmJoJOI

Papagolash
02-13-2014, 12:51 AM
I love the sigh in the 2nd vid.

jmtd
02-13-2014, 01:38 AM
OK yup that Grammy rehearsal footage is much better than the final performance.

Edit: I wondered why nobody had circulated an audio transcode yet until I loaded in into Audacity and saw that it was multi-channel... so a smidgin more work than a straight transcode. Still, might do it.

wizfan
02-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Deftones' White Pony EPK looks like a tamer Broken movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZ0-RhqmQ4

cashpiles (closed)
02-13-2014, 09:49 AM
By the way, I love Broken.. I think it's my favorite NIN album... So much rock and aggression... And a feeling that it's out of control and dangerous...

Halo Infinity
02-13-2014, 12:30 PM
I love the sigh in the 2nd vid.
As it's about Ghosts I-IV, it seems to go well with Ghosts II - 13, as it reminded me of that song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzwXWxV3cAk

eversonpoe
02-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Deftones' White Pony EPK looks like a tamer Broken movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZ0-RhqmQ4

i was literally JUST thinking about this EPK on tuesday! they included it on the enhanced CD portion of the later versions of white pony (the ones with "back in school" as the first track).

Charmingly Miserable
02-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Love this

http://youtu.be/6PGP-bggFTE

That other guy
02-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Honestly first time seeing (pretty sure) that Rubin's 21st birthday , that was awesome....

jmtd
02-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Love the spiral tees

m15a
02-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Not sure if this has been posted on here before. Stumbled upon it looking at something totally unrelated to NIN*: "Nine Inch Niles – The Seattleward Spiral" by Josh Millard (http://music.joshmillard.com/2010/06/04/nine-inch-niles-the-seattleward-spiral/#more-1521).

It's a kind of joke computer music thing where software is used to try to approximate TDS automatically using samples from the show Frasier (I'm guessing using some sort of spectral matching synthesis although I didn't look into it). It's really rough and hard to hear the connection to the songs, but I think that makes it sort of funnier when you do. I thought "March of the Prigs" worked pretty well since the rhythm is so distinct . . . Yeah, a bunch of awful song title puns, too. ;)

(* Was looking into a web comic called Larp Trek (http://larptrek.com/larptrek/1/), which I think is hilarious but you need a very particular sense of humor and set of interests.)

Halo Infinity
02-14-2014, 10:53 PM
This seemed far too general to be put into the Random NIN Questions thread, but anyway here it goes. I'm also aware that I've brought this topic up before, but I haven't actually gotten around to asking this question surprisingly.

Did any of you ever meet a lot of Nine Inch Nails fans, or even met a Nine Inch Nails fan that has never ever been aware of The NIN Hotline and/or Echoing the Sound?

Almost everybody I knew that liked NIN didn't know about those sites until I mentioned those sites to them.

sick among the pure
02-15-2014, 03:05 AM
This seemed far too general to be put into the Random NIN Questions thread, but anyway here it goes. I'm also aware that I've brought this topic up before, but I haven't actually gotten around to asking this question surprisingly.

Did any of you ever meet a lot of Nine Inch Nails fans, or even met a Nine Inch Nails fan that has never ever been aware of The NIN Hotline and/or Echoing the Sound?

Almost everybody I knew that liked NIN didn't know about those sites until I mentioned those sites to them.

A lot of people, even at shows, don't know about ETS or the Hotline. It seems so weird to me.

Volband
02-15-2014, 06:26 AM
I only met two people who at least knew about NIN itself. Yes, I said two. I don't even bother anymore, if someone asks about what music I like, I just say I listen to almost everything.

Halo Infinity
02-15-2014, 03:50 PM
I was listening to Mad World by Tears for Fears... I could imagine Trent doing a cover of that. Its exactly what he should do. DO IT! DO IT NOW!

Another random thought....

Everytime Piggy from AATCHB plays on my iPhone I always need to change it to album play, I just love the flow into The Frail and then into The Wretched.
I also liked how Gave Up starts just right after The Wretched. It's like, "Oh, I just lost faith in God and humanity... and well, fuck me too!" I also like how it just picks up the pace prior to slowing down again for The Great Below.

Halo Infinity
02-15-2014, 03:54 PM
And speaking of AATCHB (Live), this is still one of my most favorite moments on the DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX3tZeimQUA

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-15-2014, 05:56 PM
The people next to me at Tension were plugged in enough to know the setlists for the tour (and even mentioned Ninwiki at one point), but I didn’t ask.

butter_hole
02-16-2014, 02:51 PM
Not sure if this has been posted on here before. Stumbled upon it looking at something totally unrelated to NIN*: "Nine Inch Niles – The Seattleward Spiral" by Josh Millard (http://music.joshmillard.com/2010/06/04/nine-inch-niles-the-seattleward-spiral/#more-1521).

It's a kind of joke computer music thing where software is used to try to approximate TDS automatically using samples from the show Frasier (I'm guessing using some sort of spectral matching synthesis although I didn't look into it). It's really rough and hard to hear the connection to the songs, but I think that makes it sort of funnier when you do. I thought "March of the Prigs" worked pretty well since the rhythm is so distinct . . . Yeah, a bunch of awful song title puns, too. ;)

(* Was looking into a web comic called Larp Trek (http://larptrek.com/larptrek/1/), which I think is hilarious but you need a very particular sense of humor and set of interests.)
What in the name of Christ

Halo Infinity
02-16-2014, 03:29 PM
I couldn't help but notice that there really are a lot more Nine Inch Nails albums that came out late in the year, which means that a lot of them came out in autumn and winter. (Depending on where you live of course.) As far as the physical releases go, only The Downward Spiral, With Teeth, Year Zero, and Ghosts I-IV made it before June.

This came to mind because I noticed that when there's any suggestion for a new NIN album to come out in the summer, it's very likely to be released in September or any time near August as opposed to June or early to mid July. By the time the physical release of The Slip came out, it was already almost August.

nooneimportant
02-16-2014, 11:38 PM
"Down In It" is my favorite NIN song ever. I'm starting to think "I Do Not Want This" is a close second, especially the Wave Goodbye version.

Also I was messing around in Garageband a few months ago and I found a very similar synth bass sound that is used in "Happiness In Slavery" and "Heresy."

Volband
02-17-2014, 12:42 PM
I certainly hope that Somewhat Damaged ends up on the Tension DVD.
It was played in Los Angeles, and I'm pretty sure it was a staple for every single show, so there's like a 610% chance SD will be on the dvd.

sheepdean
02-17-2014, 01:04 PM
It was played in Los Angeles, and I'm pretty sure it was a staple for every single show, so there's like a 610% chance SD will be on the dvd.
You forget: this is Trent. He'll name an international tour after LITS and then not play it.

Volband
02-17-2014, 01:09 PM
You forget: this is Trent. He'll name an international tour after LITS and then not play it.
But the main featured performance on the upcoming Tension dvd will be the show in Staples Center, so everything that's been played there will make the bulk of the dvd.

fillow
02-17-2014, 02:20 PM
EDIETS and Suck were missing from Beside You In Time, despite being played at both filmed shows as well as at the majority of 2006 spring tour. You never know what to expect, they may have a technical fuckup or running time limit.
I'm not implying anything, just saying it's possible. Hopefully not.

Volband
02-17-2014, 04:17 PM
EDIETS and Suck were missing from Beside You In Time, despite being played at both filmed shows as well as at the majority of 2006 spring tour. You never know what to expect, they may have a technical fuckup or running time limit.
I'm not implying anything, just saying it's possible. Hopefully not.
Didn'T know that. Well, we know Hurt is already there, so who gives a shit about the rest anyway?

theimage13
02-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Didn'T know that. Well, we know Hurt is already there, so who gives a shit about the rest anyway?

Everyone who's sick of Hurt? I'll be turning the TV off after Black Noise.

BRoswell
02-17-2014, 09:24 PM
I'd love to hear a compilation of every live version of March Of The Pigs where Trent says something unique before they head into the ending (i.e. stuff like "...and all of you miserable, muddy fuckheads are all right" from Woodstock '94).

nooneimportant
02-17-2014, 09:35 PM
I'd love to hear a compilation of every live version of March Of The Pigs where Trent says something unique before they head into the ending (i.e. stuff like "...and all of you miserable, muddy fuckheads are all right" from Woodstock '94).

The best one is "...and all of you can suck my dick!"

Another good one is during one version of Down In It where he goes "All the world's weight is on my back, and I just don't give a fuck!"

sweeterthan
02-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Year zero is back, bitches.

ryanmcfly
02-18-2014, 01:50 AM
Hopefully Year Zero tracks make their way around the US dates as well. I want Meet Your Master and God Given.

Halo Infinity
02-18-2014, 03:09 AM
The Great Destroyer is where it's at for me. :D Some of my other favorite songs from Year Zero would be Hyperpower!, My Violent Heart, Vessel, The Warning, and Zero-Sum.

theimage13
02-18-2014, 07:40 AM
I think a lot of people are going to hate this. But I, for one, was happy to realize that this has actually been performed live and filmed for a release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqdAxikAv0o

sweeterthan
02-18-2014, 08:21 AM
I would take any year zero songs, really. The warning and in this twilight (loved it when he closed shows with ITT) were are my faves. I hope he takes a stab at capital g.

Halo Infinity
02-18-2014, 08:45 AM
Come to think of it, more songs from Year Zero in general would be nice, just like The Fragile.

Volband
02-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Inb4 MVH debuts. Inb4 Trent mixes all kinds of shit into TGD.

Also, more Fragile? Holy. Shit. Starfuckers-The Fragile-No, You Don't-JLYI plssssssssssssssss.

Oh no, no, we can't do it. We can't start it again. We have to stop here! We'll get our hopes up, we'll even start to believe in the coming of Jesus (TPF), then in the end Trent just switches two songs from the basic Tension setlist, and that's it. Yeah, probably this is the proper translation:
1. More fragile stuff (The Frail/The Wretched returns)
2. More yz stuff (Me, I'm Not and The Warning returns. Maybe Vessel)
3. Huge opportunities with a 4-piece band (Only returns as a staple; Closer too; No more dancing Trent)

skullboy0
02-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Only returns as a staple

Was going to say "when WASN'T Only a staple", but then I looked it up (http://nintourhistory.com/song.php?songid=75) & realized it wasn't played at most of the Tension shows, & wasn't played AT ALL on the NINJA/Wave Goodbye tour.

tony_crisp
02-18-2014, 04:37 PM
I think a lot of people are going to hate this. But I, for one, was happy to realize that this has actually been performed live and filmed for a release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqdAxikAv0o

I was expected a Burn parody but this is basically Terrible Lie. Love Weird Al. Slightly disappointed.

pinata89
02-18-2014, 08:51 PM
Wonder what "Just Do It" sounds/sounded like....(apologies if this is the wrong thread for this thought)

Or "The Beauty of the Drug," for that matter.

sheepdean
02-19-2014, 01:44 AM
Wonder what "Just Do It" sounds/sounded like....(apologies if this is the wrong thread for this thought)

Or "The Beauty of the Drug," for that matter.
I feel we've probably heard the music in another place by now (Ghosts or The Slip at the very lest), though I'd also love to hear the orig

tony_crisp
02-19-2014, 02:05 AM
I feel we've probably heard the music in another place by now (Ghosts or The Slip at the very lest), though I'd also love to hear the orig

I've always suspected that Ghosts used a lot of leftover sound banks or files from previous eras, even though it was stated that the album was recorded from scratch during a 10 week session. Just speculation.

copy_of_b
02-19-2014, 02:43 AM
I've always suspected that Ghosts used a lot of leftover sound banks or files from previous eras, even though it was stated that the album was recorded from scratch during a 10 week session. Just speculation. Doubt it. Ghosts never felt anything like a leftover to me. Though of course that's only what I think and thus as good a guess as any. In the end, it doesn't matter, Ghosts is good stuff. :)

sheepdean
02-19-2014, 03:00 AM
Doubt it. Ghosts never felt anything like a leftover to me. Though of course that's only what I think and thus as good a guess as any. In the end, it doesn't matter, Ghosts is good stuff. :)
Ghosts is FAR from leftovers, but no matter how good those musicians are, 38 100% original tracks produced in that time frame is kinda insane, and I doubt anyone would hold it against them if a couple of noises were used.

fillow
02-19-2014, 03:16 AM
By that logic, all (most) of the Fragile leftovers were also reused, and this ain't true according to the latest interview.

Volband
02-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Ghosts is FAR from leftovers, but no matter how good those musicians are, 38 100% original tracks produced in that time frame is kinda insane, and I doubt anyone would hold it against them if a couple of noises were used.
I wouldn't call the Ghost tracks original, there's many resemblance and similarity among each other-

eversonpoe
02-19-2014, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't call the Ghost tracks original, there's many resemblance and similarity among each other-

i disagree strongly with this statement.

there's a relatively consistent MOOD that connects all the songs, but i don't hear much similarity musically between them.

BRoswell
02-19-2014, 06:17 PM

Yeah, it's almost like they were made by the same musician.

Ripe(withdecay)
02-19-2014, 06:56 PM
I personally would like to see Trent make a Nine Inch Nails album with Robin, Ilan, and Alessandro.

pinata89
02-20-2014, 12:13 AM
I personally would like to see Trent make a Nine Inch Nails album with Robin, Ilan, and Alessandro.

There's a certain element to songwriting that takes a bit of work. I, myself, have been involved in songwriting, and realize there is a certain type of chemistry necessary to find what you're looking for...and sometimes, the search for the chemistry is immense. I love Robin, Ilan, and Allesandro, and I think they all bring a lot to the table, musically. But sometimes, in your mind, you have already decided what you want and how you want it to sound...leaving you, as the performer, as the only person to execute the task.

This is why I (and likely, many of you) trust and respect TR so much....because, sometimes, there is just something there that only YOU can relay to your audience....and TR does that better than anyone, in my opinion.

sheepdean
02-20-2014, 01:45 AM
I mean, The Slip was that but -Ilan +Josh

fillow
02-20-2014, 03:15 AM
Ally didn't play on The Slip (per his own words, despite being listed in the credits). And the amount of Robin/Josh contributions is debatable since there were no song-specific credits at all.

sheepdean
02-20-2014, 03:54 AM
Ally didn't play on The Slip (per his own words, despite being listed in the credits). And the amount of Robin/Josh contributions is debatable since there were no song-specific credits at all.
Ally performed as the hand on the cover :P
And yeah I forgot he'd said that - though I doubt TR would've credited the others if they'd done NOTHING, even if it was just session musician stuff.

katara
02-20-2014, 03:56 AM
I kind of agree in certain cases. For instance...

At 1:15, 28 Ghosts IV has a single string plucked on the beat reminiscent of Hurt at 1:10 (this is debatable).
31 Ghosts IV's riff is virtually identical to Head Like A Hole's bass line.

I can't think of any others. 31 Ghosts IV is the only one which is immediately recognisable.

ghostaustin
02-20-2014, 08:20 AM
so, I heard the "red horse vector" phrase for the first time yesterday when I was listening to YZ (on a single monitor with both the left and right channels running through it) and it creeped me the fuck out! I'd always heard about the phrase, but never actually heard it for myself before.

Charmingly Miserable
02-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Speaking of Russell Mills (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2863-NIN-Spotting-2014?p=168103#post168103), check this out from his website:

Mills has enjoyed a special relationship with Nine Inch Nails since first contacted by Trent Reznor and NIN’s then designer Gary Talpas in 1994. That first conference call exchange led to Mills producing a raft of mixed media works towards uses on the The Downward Spiral album, which was released to great acclaim in 1994. This was quickly followed by commissions for the first single from the album, The March of The Pigs, also released in 1994. A cover for the remix album Further Down The Spiral was then commissioned and created against a tight deadline in 1995. Work for the packaging of Closure, a double video of live footage, followed in 1997: the videos also included works made for The Downward Spiral.
A hiatus of 15 years passed before Trent reestablished contact in late December 2012 to check whether Mills might be willing and able to undertake another body of work for a project that, at the time, was still merely tentative and that might not actually materialise: this became the Hesitation Marks album, released in 2013. Characteristically Mills became totally immersed in the commission, producing over 30 new works for possible use. Working in close collaboration with NIN designer Rob Sheridan, Hesitation Marks was released in multiple versions, each using different artworks made by Mills and several singles were also released each utilising new artworks.
Following on from Hesitation Marks Reznor invited Mills to create a limited edition multiple that would act as a focus for all the works made for the album. Working with Jeff Anderson of Artist-In-Residence, Mills has been developing this work since July/August 2013. The multiple, which is to be called Cargo In The Blood (The Reverse Is Also True) will include a 320 page 5 colour hardback book, and will be available in early to mid 2015.
Does the last part indicated a NIN/Russell Mills art project???? If so, schwing!

Leviathant
02-20-2014, 10:30 PM
320 pages... for 30 works? I've been a fan of Russell Mills' work for Nine Inch Nails, but that seems excessive.

tony_crisp
02-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Found myself accidentally doing 85mph during Big Man With A Gun while listening to TDS during a road trip today.

Ryan
02-20-2014, 10:38 PM
so, I heard the "red horse vector" phrase for the first time yesterday when I was listening to YZ (on a single monitor with both the left and right channels running through it) and it creeped me the fuck out! I'd always heard about the phrase, but never actually heard it for myself before.

What is this?

tony_crisp
02-20-2014, 11:56 PM
http://www.ninwiki.com/Red_Horse_Vector

Charmingly Miserable
02-21-2014, 12:20 AM
320 pages... for 30 works? I've been a fan of Russell Mills' work for Nine Inch Nails, but that seems excessive.
I'm a huge fan of Russell too but I don't know how 320 pages of the NIN logo can be possible. Ha ha.... Yes, Russell Mills has done a lot more than the NIN logo but I just don't know about 320 pages.

BenAkenobi
02-21-2014, 12:46 AM
I'm a huge fan of Russell too but I don't know how 320 pages of the NIN logo can be possible. Ha ha.... Yes, Russell Mills has done a lot more than the NIN logo but I just don't know about 320 pages.

NIN Logo wasn't done by Mills, it's by Gary Talpas of Föhn Design

Charmingly Miserable
02-21-2014, 12:48 AM
NIN Logo wasn't done by Mills, it's by Gary Talpas of Föhn Design

I know that. I was just referencing what Mills did with the logo ;)

Halo Infinity
02-21-2014, 01:21 AM
I just also thought of posting this Nine Inch Nails group from Facebook here. If you're on Facebook and are interested to join another place to discuss NIN, then here's the URL to go to. It overall seems to be a very nice place to also generally discuss NIN while sharing pictures and videos related to NIN without leaving Facebook. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2209586182/

eversonpoe
02-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Speaking of Russell Mills (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2863-NIN-Spotting-2014?p=168103#post168103), check this out from his website:

Mills has enjoyed a special relationship with Nine Inch Nails since first contacted by Trent Reznor and NIN’s then designer Gary Talpas in 1994. That first conference call exchange led to Mills producing a raft of mixed media works towards uses on the The Downward Spiral album, which was released to great acclaim in 1994. This was quickly followed by commissions for the first single from the album, The March of The Pigs, also released in 1994. A cover for the remix album Further Down The Spiral was then commissioned and created against a tight deadline in 1995. Work for the packaging of Closure, a double video of live footage, followed in 1997: the videos also included works made for The Downward Spiral.
A hiatus of 15 years passed before Trent reestablished contact in late December 2012 to check whether Mills might be willing and able to undertake another body of work for a project that, at the time, was still merely tentative and that might not actually materialise: this became the Hesitation Marks album, released in 2013. Characteristically Mills became totally immersed in the commission, producing over 30 new works for possible use. Working in close collaboration with NIN designer Rob Sheridan, Hesitation Marks was released in multiple versions, each using different artworks made by Mills and several singles were also released each utilising new artworks.
Following on from Hesitation Marks Reznor invited Mills to create a limited edition multiple that would act as a focus for all the works made for the album. Working with Jeff Anderson of Artist-In-Residence, Mills has been developing this work since July/August 2013. The multiple, which is to be called Cargo In The Blood (The Reverse Is Also True) will include a 320 page 5 colour hardback book, and will be available in early to mid 2015.

Does the last part indicated a NIN/Russell Mills art project???? If so, schwing!

guess you guys haven't listened to the most recent episode of Underneath It All (http://underneathitall.org/) yet. we were actually the first to break that piece of news (before he put it up on his site). ;)

Inkë
02-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Does Trent really say "kind of hard" in the album version of 1,000,000 ? I hear "Get apart", or something like that.

eversonpoe
02-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Does Trent really say "kind of hard" in the album version of 1,000,000 ? I hear "Get apart", or something like that.

pretty sure its:

kind of hard
hard to see
when you crawl
on your hands and your knees

sheepdean
02-21-2014, 12:07 PM
To be pedantic, I think he says "kinda hard"

Leviathant
02-21-2014, 12:54 PM
guess you guys haven't listened to the most recent episode of Underneath It All (http://underneathitall.org/) yet. we were actually the first to break that piece of news (before he put it up on his site). ;)

Guess you forgot about how I tweeted about your interview from the NIN Hotline twitter account after I'd listened through it. ;)

eversonpoe
02-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Guess you forgot about how I tweeted about your interview from the NIN Hotline twitter account after I'd listened through it. ;)

hahaha you're right, i did forget! sorry. thanks again for that, seriously.

also, we're recording episode 8 monday night!

MrSlfDstruct
02-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Trent always talks about trying to do something different when he approaches a new record. And while he's always had a few people that he's been pretty constant with (Flood, Alan Moulder), it seems that most of the criticism for his work beginning to sound the same (thus spawning the parody) has really stemmed from his continual collaboration with Atticus.

Granted, I don't think one can listen to With Teeth and then think it sounds like The Slip, or that Hesitation Marks sounds like Year Zero, but there IS something that's very similar between all of them. They're not quite as big of a departure as say Pretty Hate Machine to Broken, or any of his past works up to With Teeth. If you let somebody listen to each album in succession up to With Teeth, I think a lot of people would have a hard time saying that they were all from the same artist.

I guess all that to say, he always says he likes to step outside of a comfort zone when approaching something new, yet it seems like he's gotten VERY comfortable in his partnership with Atticus, and as much as I still love every release he puts out, I'd like to see him approach a new NIN record without Atticus.

Ryan
02-24-2014, 03:57 AM
I'm sitting here watching Korn encore or play first prior to Rob Zombie and I remember why I only show complete devotion to Trent at shows: dignity and respect.

AlanMorlock
02-24-2014, 09:36 PM

As Mills described on the Underneath it All podcast, the book isn't all art. He has written about each piece, of which there are about 20 or so. The bulk will likely be his thoughts on the art.

sheepdean
02-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Asking Alexandria's cover of Closer is so pointless. It's not even bad, it's just an exact same version as the original. I don't know whether to be annoyed or unsurprised.

brokenfragility
02-25-2014, 03:20 PM
I guess all that to say, he always says he likes to step outside of a comfort zone when approaching something new, yet it seems like he's gotten VERY comfortable in his partnership with Atticus, and as much as I still love every release he puts out, I'd like to see him approach a new NIN record without Atticus.

I never got why Atticus is so focused on in posts like these, his role in the NIN studio is just mixing, which is probably the most boring and uncreative role you could have. It is the producer's job (which would be Alan Moulder) to challenge the artist to try different things, and different sounds. Even though Alan Moulder (with all the other non NIN things he has done) is one of my favorite producers of all time, I do think TR and AM are a little too comfortable with each other to continue to challenge, and push forward. I don't think it's become a problem or anything yet, but I think if there's ever another new NIN album, Trent should bring on an entirely new production team.

WorzelG
02-25-2014, 03:36 PM
^^^But this scenario has already happened - on the Interview with himself, with TR about HM on the itunes edition, he specifically mentions feeling too comfortable in their little team and getting a new producer in for a while doesn't he? But they found the songs were better the way they had originally done them

I remember thinking, since he can't fire himself from NIN, did he effectively have poor Atticus and Alan Moulder on tenterhooks for a firing?

klyrish
02-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Asking Alexandria's cover of Closer is so pointless. It's not even bad, it's just an exact same version as the original. I don't know whether to be annoyed or unsurprised.I just listened to it and don't like it at all. You're right: it's just a straight-up cover with a stupid breakdown in the middle and instead of continuing the amazing build-up that it became, they killed it and then cut the ending guitar riff completely. How fucking stupid.I'd love to hear Architects, The Devil Wears Prada or even Bring Me The Horizon do a cover of the 2005+ live version of the song.

sheepdean
02-25-2014, 05:31 PM
I just listened to it and don't like it at all. You're right: it's just a straight-up cover with a stupid breakdown in the middle and instead of continuing the amazing build-up that it became, they killed it and then cut the ending guitar riff completely. How fucking stupid.I'd love to hear Architects, The Devil Wears Prada or even Bring Me The Horizon do a cover of the 2005+ live version of the song.
Aside from Richard Cheese, I really don't see the point of covering it - not in a protective way, but because everyone covers it in the same way. Fuck with the song, change the beat, the melody, do something interesting, don't just do karaoke.

But that probably doesn't sell.

klyrish
02-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Aside from Richard Cheese, I really don't see the point of covering it - not in a protective way, but because everyone covers it in the same way. Fuck with the song, change the beat, the melody, do something interesting, don't just do karaoke.But that probably doesn't sell.Couldn't agree more. The breakdown was really the only unique thing done with the song, apart from butchering the timing of the lyrics. I know they incorporate electronics into their music, but I dunno...maybe make a METAL cover of the song with no electronics at all? Like how The Word Alive absolutely destroyed Kanye's "Mercy" on Pop Goes Punk vol. 5. Holy shit, I cannot get enough of that song. And it shares a few common things (singing style in the chorus) but for the most part, it's a totally different song with a unique feel and approach.Or even Upon This Dawning's cover of "Call Me Maybe" on the same compilation. Shares a lot of similarities with the original but is actually somewhat unique (and has a killer breakdown).

Vertigo
02-25-2014, 06:55 PM
I never got why Atticus is so focused on in posts like these, his role in the NIN studio is just mixing, which is probably the most boring and uncreative role you could have. It is the producer's job (which would be Alan Moulder) ..

Erm, it's the other way round, though Moulder's typically credited for more than 'just' mixing.

sheepdean
02-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Are these japanese shows the first time NIN has had a band member open for them?

baudolino
02-26-2014, 12:50 PM
eagerly waiting for the day when Trent's kids are conquering ETS

acidpolly
02-26-2014, 01:29 PM
http://thedissolve.com/news/1588-fincher-sorkin-jobs/ Fincher and Sorkin are in talks about Jobs biopic. I smell another soundtrack potential here :)

tony.parente
02-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Asking Alexandria's cover of Closer is so pointless. It's not even bad, it's just an exact same version as the original. I don't know whether to be annoyed or unsurprised.

It's a lot better than I thought it would be. I like the vocal delivery, and the "through the forests" part was a surprise addition. Still garbage but it's better than In This Moments abortion of a cover.

utterben
02-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Found myself accidentally doing 85mph during Big Man With A Gun while listening to TDS during a road trip today.
That's my "going out" music. It's such a fun song.

staleincense
02-26-2014, 04:44 PM
eagerly waiting for the day when Trent's kids are conquering ETS
I'm sure they'll feel right at home.

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Eh, they’ll probably roll their eyes and move on to whatever replaces Facebook.

Khrz
02-27-2014, 02:39 AM
Why the hell would anyone be even remotely part of a forum entirely dedicated to your dad ?

WorzelG
02-27-2014, 03:04 AM
^^^
Unless they wanted to gather evidence to ruthlessly mock their dad

sick among the pure
02-27-2014, 03:14 AM
"Hey dad I found this funny picture of you"

No, no I don't think that would ever end well.

fillow
02-27-2014, 03:22 AM
Hey dad, you still have that r_d r__e?

howdidislipinto
02-27-2014, 05:28 AM
Shuffle in my car led to the discovery today that Gave Up fades really well into All The Pigs All Lined Up. Try it!

icklekitty
02-27-2014, 06:23 AM

This is basically why I don't drive. The crescendo in JLYI is very dangerous indeed.

staleincense
02-27-2014, 10:59 AM
"Hey dad I found this funny picture of you"

No, no I don't think that would ever end well.
http://i.imgur.com/Hm26HoV.jpg
here kids have fun with this

m15a
02-27-2014, 12:50 PM
That's my "going out" music. It's such a fun song.

...!?!?!?!

Halo Infinity
02-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Come to think of it, more songs from Year Zero in general would be nice, just like The Fragile.
To expand a bit more on this post, I just generally like the idea of it, and it doesn't have to be that way on the Tension DVD for me. It doesn't even have to happen at all, as I could accept how and why that wouldn't be. It's mostly just wishful thinking, as I've also loved the way most of the songs The Fragile and Year Zero turned out live. And well, it's also due to the fact that I've barely heard that much songs from either album on the previous 3 Nine Inch Nails shows I've attended.

As for the new album, if it's really going to come out this year, I'm going to still go with my guess on it coming out some time in September, or at least any month after June at this rate.

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Shuffle in my car led to the discovery today that Gave Up fades really well into All The Pigs All Lined Up. Try it!
I can tell you that Heresy into RWIB does not work. Aiyeesh. :(

Tumnayar
02-27-2014, 06:24 PM
In Two has now become my favorite track on HM, originally it was VMoE. The song is so damn good, and it's one of the few on the record that give me that sort of TDS vibe.

Ryan
02-27-2014, 06:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Hm26HoV.jpg
here kids have fun with this

Rob's face, my god.