PDA

View Full Version : Tool

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Ryan
11-28-2011, 06:25 AM
Not sure if we're going to have a Tool sub-forum again. Use this in the meantime, ja?

Leviathant
11-28-2011, 08:32 AM
(If the thread gets active enough to warrant the subforum, we'll reinstate it then)

Amaro
11-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Good idea.

I love Tool, but I would prefer a one-stop shop this time. Plus, I don't think new album anticipative excitement will match that of the 10,000 Days level to need an exclusive forum. (I could be wrong.)

||||||

Have you ever bowled to the sounds of Jimmy?

BenAkenobi
11-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Tool = love. All i can say at the moment. Will add collection photo later.

by the way, i have a question for Tool gurus (including but not limited to Ryan)
if you have the early promo CD with 3 live tracks (Undertow/Flood/Jerk off), i'd be very happy to hear them
i also read somewhere Flood (live) was a bonus track on japanese edition of Undertow, same recording?

i'm asking because i found out the recordings on Prison sex single differ from those on Tales from the dark side
[i had this question for a long time, i hope it doesn't really violate "no copyrighted music sharing" rule here :)]

Malechite
11-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Man it feels like its been 10,000 days since their last album. More TOOL nao, plz.

Leviathant
11-28-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't think new album anticipative excitement will match that of the 10,000 Days level to need an exclusive forum.

I started the Tool Hotline because of 10,000 days, and it gets next to no traffic. The Tool fan machine ain't what it used to be.

theruiner
11-28-2011, 06:29 PM
I can't believe it's been almost six years since the last album. As weird as it sounds, I'm actually glad it takes them so long. It builds the anticipation and makes each album more special.

That being said, I hated 10,000 Days so I hope the next one is better.

ManBurning
11-28-2011, 10:45 PM
10,000 days was down-right amazing! maybe not as down-right amazing as Lateralus, but it still was a fun record. I think I hated it the firts few listens, it definatly needs to grow on you. But that was the same with Lateralus, that was such a departure from AEnima that I was so shocked when I first heard it, and it definatly took a very long time to get into that style of playing for them. But I can honestly say the latter 2 albums are a million times better then the first 3 (Opiate, Undertow and AEnima). I know that's a pretty bold statement, but I just don't care for their older stuff like I used too.

Ryan
11-29-2011, 01:26 AM
I started the Tool Hotline because of 10,000 days, and it gets next to no traffic. The Tool fan machine ain't what it used to be.

Yeah, Lateralus was the pinnacle. I knew deep down it would never get better than that 2001 era.

iamanexit
11-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Yeah, Lateralus was the pinnacle. I knew deep down it would never get better than that 2001 era.

Unfortunately.

ManBurning
11-30-2011, 03:21 AM
I'm just lucky I caught a show on that tour in 2002, that was a damn good TOOL show!

theruiner
11-30-2011, 07:50 AM
Yeah, Lateralus was the pinnacle. I knew deep down it would never get better than that 2001 era.Yeah, honestly, I don't expect them to ever top Lateralus. I'd like to be wrong about that, but I doubt it will happen.

That being said, I'm not looking for them to top it. I'd be perfectly happy with a good album; I don't expect them to top themselves now. 10,000 Days was such a massive letdown that I think they can't go anywhere but up at this point.

Malechite
11-30-2011, 08:50 AM
I didn't know that many people thought 10,000 Days was a let down. I don't like it in it's entirety as much as the other albums, but I really love the first 5 songs, I usually listen to them and then switch to something else.

also <3 The Pot.

I'm just lucky I caught a show on that tour in 2002, that was a damn good TOOL show!

Yeah, me too! Gotta love silver naked people dangling from chains.

Wretchedest
11-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Does Tool even do anything anymore?

theruiner
11-30-2011, 07:16 PM
They did an extensive tour in 2009 and 2010, and they're (very, very) slowly working on a new album.

Harry Seaward
11-30-2011, 11:01 PM
This may be of interest to some of you.

http://soundcloud.com/revolvermagazine/the-fourth/s-9gUrz

Feersum Enjinn (Paul D'Amour's new band) Feat. Danny Carey. It's not too bad. Danny is always nice to hear.

october_midnight
12-01-2011, 12:54 AM
The rumor (I believe even from a newsletter) was that first May 2012 was actually going to be the release date for the new album. At this point with MJK still in Puscifer mode I highly doubt it.

Harry Seaward
12-01-2011, 01:01 AM
The rumor (I believe even from a newsletter) was that first May 2012 was actually going to be the release date for the new album. At this point with MJK still in Puscifer mode I highly doubt it.

That was the usual Blair sarcasm. It was a May 21/Rapture 'joke'.

Harry Seaward
12-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Speaking of which...

TOOL NEWSLETTER
NOVEMBER, 2011 E.V.

At a time when the headlines are dominated by frenzied Amish beard clippers, whooping cough and Occupy Wall Street (Forget that - how about Occupy the Playboy Mansion, all you 69 per centers!), rather than discuss the thawing permafrost, Sandusky, or baffling Gamma ray bursts, how about some exciting TOOL-RELATED NEWS... That's right - while most of you were still digesting your Thanksgiving bird, highly acclaimed recording engineer and producer (not to mention vintage candy aficionado!) 'Evil' Joe Barresi was seated at the mixing console in the band's home studio - the only evidence of the holiday being a bowl of pumpkin-pie cheesecake Kit Kats that was placed there by one of the girls from Tool's business management. Believe it! Hours after your cranberry sauce was still jiggling, members of the band had gathered at the loft to begin tracking. For the sessions, the place looked like a gear-junkie's wet-dream, and with the 'evil' one deftly punching in bars on the remote control, as the night wore on, song after song -in all their musical complexity - were being captured on tape (Yes, tape! For this record, a Studer A827 "Gold Edition" analog tape recorder had been trucked in.) By the time of my much-anticipated arrival on Tuesday, almost all of the tracks were finished, as were the holiday confections. With the loft now littered with empty Tommy's burger wrappers and spent cans of Red Bull, as guitar riffs processed through an antique Echoplex wailed over the KRKs, stories were being told about Danny recently making a daring escape in his orange Lambo from Mastros steakhouse in Beverly Hills (where a side of lobster mashed potatoes goes for $30.00) - the entire thing caught by TMZ's cameras... although the crowd cheers are probably still lying on the proverbial cutting room floor. And now, with you being down to your last leftover turkey sandwich, with but a few overdubs to add, you can bet that the boys will be back at it tonight...

But what about TOOL's new album, you ask? Are they still making progress with the writing and arranging sessions? Will they be working during the holidays as a Gamma ray-mutated pterosaur tramples on foreclosed gingerbread houses? Absolutely! (for the quintillionth time), only with a festive pear-cinnamon cider replacing the Volto! Red Bulls. Actually, I've even seen part of a video from the band's next record - albeit this occurred during a strange time-slip that I recently experienced while pushing a shopping cart down one of the aisles at my local Ralphs (a place where cracks in paratime somehow seem to happen regularly). While looking for *********, I saw some guy wearing a programmable display (UV) TOOL 'video' tee-shirt. Glancing at it, I could hear the haunting sonic structure of one of the new songs accompanied by the bizarre, vibrant, Adam Jones imagery (yes, on the soft, flexible 'screen' material - which, of course, was made from the best quality cloth-plants). Wait a quark-flipping minute! Had I pushed the screeching cart many years into the future? Entranced by the dude's shirt, I watched as purplish amoeba-like things with a tangle of feelers morphed into intensely-colorful creatures. These were frightening, writhing chimeras and other mind-boggling bio-oddities of a demented (er... creative) mind. Were these some kind of "Saucer Wisdom" inspired piezoplastic receivers transmitted from Adam's thought-forms, or had he simply recorded one of his favorite nightmares?

(Had one of the band members themselves appeared in the video, I would have checked to see if any hair was blowing in the wind - just one of several tell-tale signs of a recorded dream.) Either way, how amazing were the images! (Cooler than watching a night janitor at McDonalds on fully charged quantum dot batteries in the flicker of strobe lights).

As I continued to observe the bedizening mental cartoons - snippets of some intricately detailed hyper-animation - I noticed that the guy wearing the Tool shirt was NOW accompanied by band-member semblances (decoy band-member semblances, I wondered?) Recognizing me, the Danny 'semblance' raised a half-full polyglass of some glittering black eagletail. As I was about to acknowledge this wonderful example of encrypted electromagnetic vibrations, I quickly found myself back at the Ralphs of November, 2011 e.v. And guess what happened next? You guessed it. I've heard of MIB types attempting to eat their green Jell-o with a straw, or even sticking a fork into a glass of Dr. Pepper. Hell, I've even seen one of the black hat boojums pay for a Whopper at Burger King with a handful of gleaming silver dollars - not to mention the dude who ordered a "Coke and Olives" at my neighborhood pub. But what this MIB-type did was really a dead giveaway. How so? Well, while at the checkout counter, along with his groceries, 'he' PURCHASED (there on the spot) Ralphs gift cards for $20.00 each (PLUS activation fees), which he wanted to use to pay for everything. Noticing the puzzled look on the cashier's face, I quickly left my stuff on the counter and hurried out of the place... wanting desperately to get back to my enchanted green ball... I mean, to my apartment...

Finally, to address all those Tool tour rumors. A few days ago, I met with the band's management in order to discuss this very thing. Although I wasn't sure if there was any validity to the rumors, I nevertheless told their manager that a small winter tour might not be such a bad thing. However, given my age, I didn't think that I'd be able to attend too many shows as a guest (at least, I wouldn't be able to attend them with the same vigor that I used to). I certainly didn't want to travel on the tour bus, as the bunks hurt my back. Also, my excessive snoring might keep some of the early riser band members awake at night (particularly Danny and Justin). And then there's the issue of the bad weather - both here and in Europe. Some dates in Australia would be okay, but with the recent discovery of an albino trapdoor spider in the land DownUnder, I'd have to rule that out, too. Perhaps some shows in the southern states might be best. Maybe even Texas? How about just a show or two right here in Los Angeles? That would certainly make things easier for me. I might even be able to party like I used to in the good old touring days. Better yet, still, what about an electromagnetic radiation transmitted (as theorized by Rudy Rucker, among others) - reconstituted/manifested Tool concert (including personality wave guests with all-access laminates) anywhere on the entire planet? Now, that would be great!.. Especially with those programmable display tee-shirts available at the Merch booth...

HAPPY TRAILS

Photo by BMB
http://207.7.138.58/images/news/joe1

BMB

Bowen
12-01-2011, 02:03 AM
I have to admit, Tool is my favorite band. I haven't been on a forum since ToolArmy died 4 years ago. How many of you guys were ToolArmy members?

I also recommend downloading the Kalamazoo 98 Soundboard for those of you who haven't heard it. Its easily the best audio quality available of any of their live performances. You should be able to find it on any popular Torrent websites.

Btw, no one knows when the hell the new CD will be out. There has been speculation for years. We will hear it when its finished.

bobbie solo
12-03-2011, 02:56 AM
being a fan of Maynard is like being spit on regularly, especially as compared to being a Trent fan.

Emil Dorbell
12-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Yeah, honestly, I don't expect them to ever top Lateralus. I'd like to be wrong about that, but I doubt it will happen.

That being said, I'm not looking for them to top it. I'd be perfectly happy with a good album; I don't expect them to top themselves now. 10,000 Days was such a massive letdown that I think they can't go anywhere but up at this point.

10,000 Days is my second favorite Tool album after Aenima. Lateralus has the best individual tracks I guess but there's just so much pointless filler on there. 10,000 Days was all... music. :p

jhulud
12-03-2011, 12:45 PM
being a fan of Maynard is like being spit on regularly, especially as compared to being a Trent fan.

That is such a great way of putting it.

I hate the fact that they rarely, if at all, come down far enough south to Florida when on tour. MJK makes no bones about the fact that he hates Florida. At a Puscifer show in Atlanta he told me and a friend (we went b/c her family is up there and we did a last minute roadtrip) that Florida is a cesspool of death. He told that shit to us with a straight face like he meant it.

That made me feel oh so great. I mean, FL does suck...but c'mon...don't give us the shaft when you tour.

think i'm a fire engine
12-05-2011, 11:28 AM
I think Tool is the only band I know of whose fans get so personally offended and angry when the band doesn't do exactly what they want them to do, but if they're recording again that's awesome.

Wretchedest
12-05-2011, 11:41 AM
I think Tool is the only band I know of whose fans get so personally offended and angry when the band doesn't do exactly what they want them to do, but if they're recording again that's awesome.
Check out thecomatorium.com wheere you'll fnd many mars volta fans enraged over the fact that they haven't released an album since 2009. They even had no less than 10 solo releases last year.

Harry Seaward
12-05-2011, 02:39 PM

I don't think it's that, I think it's the fact that the band seems to actively mock and humiliate their fans for wanting to hear new music. (See: pretty much every Toolband Newsletter.)

everythingandnothing
12-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Check out thecomatorium.com wheere you'll fnd many mars volta fans enraged over the fact that they haven't released an album since 2009. They even had no less than 10 solo releases last year.

Not to get off topic but I'm not surprised to hear that. The Mars Volta have usually released an album approximately every year and a half since Deloused in '03 and it's been 2 and a half since Octahedron. The new album is well overdue

Wretchedest
12-05-2011, 08:45 PM
^^ Yes, and they've been performing the new material for like a year now.. Nobody really knows what's up with it. 2 and a half years since octahedron, but there were, like I said a TON of Omar solo releases last year. All of those were awesome.

Anyway, that's ages for Volta fans, but nothing in comparison to what the Tools have to deal with.

Dissonance
12-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Lateralus used to be my favorite album. But over last 6 yrs I've come back around on Ænima. I even like Undertow more too over Lateralus I think.

10,000 Days is good, had some strong songs; Vicarious, Jambi, Rosetta, title track, but fillers, too many spacious moments fillers. Like they tried too hard after Lateralus. Weird is how all leading up to the release, them and reviewers kept saying how heavy it was constantly. I was looking forward to more in your face aggressive style again, with those spacious moments.

Goldfoot
12-07-2011, 02:37 AM
I don't think it's that, I think it's the fact that the band seems to actively mock and humiliate their fans for wanting to hear new music. (See: pretty much every Toolband Newsletter.)

I wouldn't count the newsletters as the band mocking fans, but Blair, who is an asshole. Maynard can be an asshole as well, but I think he's coming around lately. Other than Maynard, I've only ever really read interviews or anything from Danny, aside from one interview with Adam about the guitar work on 10,000 Days. That being said, I only concern myself with real news so I stopped reading the newsletter shortly after I started.

Edit: I want to address the issue of "fillers."

10,000 Days is my second favorite Tool album after Aenima. Lateralus has the best individual tracks I guess but there's just so much pointless filler on there. 10,000 Days was all... music. :p

10,000 Days is good, had some strong songs; Vicarious, Jambi, Rosetta, title track, but fillers, too many spacious moments fillers. Like they tried too hard after Lateralus. Weird is how all leading up to the release, them and reviewers kept saying how heavy it was constantly. I was looking forward to more in your face aggressive style again, with those spacious moments.

Undertow
Ænima
Lateralus
10,000 Days

Total Songs
7* or 10**
6* or 8**

Filler Tracks

Total Running Time
67:05
77:23
78:51
75:50

Without Filler Tracks
52:18
66:15
71:57¹
65:51

Average Song Length
~6.5 min
~7.36min
~10.28min
~10.98min

*The way I listen to these albums, I have combined songs that absolutely should not be split up, even though they are separate tracks on the albums.
** While I can see the argument for Parabol, Triad, or Intension being considered filler, I absolutely believe they are necessary companion pieces the songs that come before them.
¹ I even took the liberty of subtracting the empty 2 minutes at the end of Triad.

As you can see, Lateralus has the longest running time when you remove the filler. The band calls them segues and uses them as a transition between songs. In many cases, I have combined these with the songs themselves, but I recognize that they are not necessary in all of these cases. I do, however, find it necessary to keep some of these together and thus included them in the running times above. When looking at if from this point of view, the number of actual songs per album decreases but the average song length increases. Lateralus is still the longest, and unless you consider some of the actual songs themselves to be filler, I don't understand the argument that it has too much. It certainly doesn't have the whopping 11 minutes that Ænima has, and you said that it's your second favorite album, Emil. I'm not saying that running time should be indicative of your favorite, but you claim that is has more filler than 10,000 Days, which just isn't true. If you're going to call 10,000 Days all music, then you have to loosely interpret the word music if you wish to include Viginti Tres and Lost Keys. And if you're going to include those two, why can't you include Eon Blue Apocalypse? It is a beautiful little intro to The Patient and is definitely considered music.

The filler on 10,000 Days doesn't seem to be excessive either. Not when considering that Viginti Tres comes in at 5 minutes itself, making up for half the filler on the album (as I defined it). This shouldn't really be an issue since it comes at the end of the album and we are still left with over an hour of music. Sure, waiting 6 years for an hour of music can be seen as a bit of a let down, but if you consider that at least Maynard put out other material during this time it isn't so bad. Plus the band says they like to take a couple years off and do other things so they can grow individually before they come back together to make new music. Seems like a valid reason for the wait to me, and being a NIN fan I can't really say I'm not used to waiting 5+ years for a new album. As for 10,000 Days being heavy; I don't specifically recall that term being used to describe the whole album. I recall it being described as dense, and individual songs being called heavy, and there are some. Not heavy in a Death Metal sense, but as heavy as we could reasonably expect from Tool.

BenAkenobi
12-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Goldfoot, what's with 8 real songs on Undertow? Flood isn't filler if i understood it correctly

Goldfoot
12-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Goldfoot, what's with 8 real songs on Undertow? Flood isn't filler if i understood it correctly

Oops, I will go fix that.

Emil Dorbell
12-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Wow, Goldfoot, what a post! I think we have to define filler. I definitely wouldn't count something like Eon Blue Apocalypse or Parabol filler, those are actually some of my favorite parts of that album. I was referring to the minutes filled up with weird sounds. Mainly towards the end of it. I guess your point still stands though. I like all of the albums, and as I said earlier, I think Lateralus has the best individual tracks. For me personally, Aenima is a stronger album. I guess maybe I wouldn't put 10,000 Days ahead of Lateralus now that I had to give it some thought. They can share the silver medal.

Goldfoot
12-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Wow, Goldfoot, what a post! I think we have to define filler. I definitely wouldn't count something like Eon Blue Apocalypse or Parabol filler, those are actually some of my favorite parts of that album. I was referring to the minutes filled up with weird sounds. Mainly towards the end of it. I guess your point still stands though. I like all of the albums, and as I said earlier, I think Lateralus has the best individual tracks. For me personally, Aenima is a stronger album. I guess maybe I wouldn't put 10,000 Days ahead of Lateralus now that I had to give it some thought. They can share the silver medal.

I'm pretty passionate about Tool's music, hehe. Plus it gave me an excuse to try out the fancy new table function. :) I actually calculated the time for Lateralus counting Eon as filler, just in case. I mean, it's not necessary, but I love the way it transitions into The Patient. For me I guess there's fillers and then there's segues. Ænima has more filler than segues, while Lateralus has little to no filler (apart from Faaip), and 10,000 Days has tracks that double as filler and segues.

Ænima - The only two I'd count as segues on this one are Useful Idiot and Intermission. Maybe it's because of how much I've listened to the album, but I quite like how H. and Forty Six & 2 are joined by Useful Idiot. Intermission is just neat and when actually listened to, it is a nice set up for the melody of Jimmy. Message, Die Eier, Cesarro, and Ions are all basically worthless in terms of value to the album. Die Eier is neat in a novelty sort of way, but it's along the lines of what they typically put at the end of the album. I think it's out of place in the middle and it should probably be after Third Eye. I really like this album, but it doesn't seem to be as cohesive to me as Lateralus.

Lateralus - I'm particularly partial to this album because it helped me out of an extended period of depression. I won't go into that now, but the only thing I'd really call filler on here is Mantra. Well, Faaip is too, but I tend to think of their closing tracks in a different light than their typical filler or segue. I think this is a really great album because all of the songs deal with personal growth, in one way or another. In that way, it has more of a theme than the other albums. Well, maybe not Undertow, but I was never all that fond of Undertow. I mean, I like it, but I don't listen to it nearly as much as the following three.

10,000 Days - As with Lateralus, there's not much here I would really call filler. The first track that could be called that is Lipan, but I don't think that's very fair. I think it creates a good atmosphere to lead into Lost Keys. With the droning in the background of Lost Keys, I can see people calling this filler, but I think it is a good segue between Lipan and Rosetta. The Lipan Apache are desert dwelling natives, and the chant in Conjuring seems like something that would occur in a ceremony laced with psychadelics. Then Rosetta tells the tale of a drugged out UFO chaser encountering aliens. I think Lost Keys fits nicely in the middle, explaining what happened after Rosetta. Other than that, I can't see what else could be considered filler except Viginti, but I explained my feelings toward Tool's ending tracks.

Pemulis
12-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Ænima has some great songs but to me is pretty much ruined as an album thanks to all the filler.

I wouldn't consider anything on Lateralus filler save for the final track, which I deleted and do not listen to. It might as well not exist on the album for me.

I don't think 10,000 Days has a lot of filler, even if as far as I'm concerned Rosetta Stoned might as well be because of how much it sucks. I don't find silly music, or music about aliens enjoyable which is why I vehemently anathematize that song. 10,000 days has its moments but those moments do not compare to the highs of Lateralus or Ænima and the stuff dragging the album down is worse than even the most annoying filler on Ænima in my opinion.

Emil Dorbell
12-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Lateralus - I'm particularly partial to this album because it helped me out of an extended period of depression. I won't go into that now, but the only thing I'd really call filler on here is Mantra. Well, Faaip is too, but I tend to think of their closing tracks in a different light than their typical filler or segue. I think this is a really great album because all of the songs deal with personal growth, in one way or another. In that way, it has more of a theme than the other albums. Well, maybe not Undertow, but I was never all that fond of Undertow. I mean, I like it, but I don't listen to it nearly as much as the following three.

What's so damn impressive about the lyrical content on Lateralus is how I find myself going back to it and understanding more and more as the years go by and I learn more about psychology, philosophy, and life in general. I had a few months this spring of drifting off from reality, after taking in way too many new ideas, expanding on my understanding of this life (and beyond), space, etc. A major help in getting back to the surface was clinging to this: "Feed my will to feel this moment."

I'm sure as I get older, with more experiences behind me, I'll revisist these lyrics and once again see them in a whole new light.

There are few bands you can say that about.

I also had a revelation that the people I admire and like listening to, Joe Rogan, Tool, Hicks, all have something in common: Psychedelics! :P

Harry Seaward
12-07-2011, 05:29 PM
I also had a revelation that the people I admire and like listening to, Joe Rogan, Tool, Hicks, all have something in common: Psychedelics! :P

I'd love to hear one of the guys in the band go on Rogan's podcast and talk about 'life and the universe and stuff, man.'

seasonsinthesky
12-07-2011, 08:04 PM
the filler track lengths on Ænima add up almost exactly to the length of their "No Quarter" cover (which, admittedly, includes excess silence at the end), which was recorded during the sessions for that album (but then finished and released afterward, obviously; also obviously, this doesn't include the segues that were left off Ænima and used for Salival). NUGGETZ

[please don't go layer the segue tracks on top of "No Quarter" and then talk about how they make a secret song that works perfectly.]

10,000 Days - As with Lateralus, there's not much here I would really call filler. The first track that could be called that is Lipan, but I don't think that's very fair. I think it creates a good atmosphere to lead into Lost Keys. With the droning in the background of Lost Keys, I can see people calling this filler, but I think it is a good segue between Lipan and Rosetta. The Lipan Apache are desert dwelling natives, and the chant in Conjuring seems like something that would occur in a ceremony laced with psychadelics. Then Rosetta tells the tale of a drugged out UFO chaser encountering aliens. I think Lost Keys fits nicely in the middle, explaining what happened after Rosetta. Other than that, I can't see what else could be considered filler except Viginti, but I explained my feelings toward Tool's ending tracks.

"Lipan" is most certainly a 'filler' segue, à la those on Ænima (and very reminiscent of the extremely quiet transition between "Bottom" and "Crawl Away"). regardless of any "atmosphere" it creates, it is not necessitated by any other tracks. however, by this definition, "Lost Keys" cannot be filler, as it is a necessary and integral piece of "Rosetta Stoned" (it sets the scene).

i'm not nearly as solid in my opinion with "Intension" and "Right in Two." i look at them as separate songs, but Tool rarely make songs transition directly unless they are meant to be together...

slightly off this topic: anyone ever heard the perspective of "Rosetta" being about the tale of someone ODing? i heard it from a friend recently and i really don't think it adds up at all.

Harry Seaward
12-07-2011, 08:44 PM
slightly off this topic: anyone ever heard the perspective of "Rosetta" being about the tale of someone ODing? i heard it from a friend recently and i really don't think it adds up at all.

ODing as in the blue-green Jackie Chan and all that is a near-death experience?

I don't think you can OD on X, DMT, or donuts. I figured it was just a DMT trip.

Harry Seaward
12-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Tool Tour 2012.

Tool will be playing in Tucson, AZ (Jan 17) and Albuquerque, NM (Jan 18).

Tickets go on sale (Ticketbastard) on Friday, Dec 16.

Enjoy, you lucky fucks.

Emil Dorbell
12-08-2011, 03:55 PM
I'd love to hear one of the guys in the band go on Rogan's podcast and talk about 'life and the universe and stuff, man.'

I guess you're being a sarcastic douche but I would enjoy the hell out of an episode like that.

Harry Seaward
12-08-2011, 04:00 PM
I guess you're being a sarcastic douche but I would enjoy the hell out of an episode like that.

Kinda and kinda not. I enjoy the Joe Rogan podcast and watch basically every episode. I just felt kinda corny saying that lol. No doubt that, I would quite enjoy it. I just really doubt any of the Tool guys would really fit in an environment like that.Maybe if their faces were covered ha.

Goldfoot
12-08-2011, 08:17 PM
I don't find silly music, or music about aliens enjoyable

Thus suggests to me that you're fairly familiar with music about aliens, which makes me curious. The only other song that comes to mind for me is Weird Al's Slime Creatures From Outer Space but, as you said, you don't like silly music so I doubt you know that one. I know it's off topic, but what else are you referring to?

i'm not nearly as solid in my opinion with "Intension" and "Right in Two." i look at them as separate songs, but Tool rarely make songs transition directly unless they are meant to be together...

I see them as going together because Right In Two seems to illustrate how humans behave after becoming self-aware, albeit from the perspective of angels. In Intension, humans "move by will alone." This is very animalistic to me, and suggests that we don't have the ability to think at anywhere close to the level we do now. In Right In Two there's the line, "Father blessed them all with reason, and this is what they choose." Whether you believe God gave us the ability or not, the song is an outsider's perspective of the human race once we had that ability. To me the songs are like a before and after picture.

ODing as in the blue-green Jackie Chan and all that is a near-death experience?

I don't think you can OD on X, DMT, or donuts. I figured it was just a DMT trip.

Don't forget LSD (blotter), though it takes a lot to OD on that. You can OD on X (MDMA), but I'm not sure about DMT. Also, it's probably easier to do so when mixing all of those.

Enjoy, you lucky fucks.

If that's true, and you don't include a source so I don't believe it as of now, I have no doubt it's going to be basically the same set and show they've done the past...three(?) tours.

Harry Seaward
12-08-2011, 08:46 PM
If that's true, and you don't include a source so I don't believe it as of now, I have no doubt it's going to be basically the same set and show they've done the past...three(?) tours.

Whoops, sorry about that.

According to Ticketmaster, they no longer are playing those shows. The tickets were there all day, but now they're not appearing... Check Fourtheye to see that I didn't make this up.

Also, keep refreshing this. http://www.ticketmaster.com/Tool-tickets/artist/720703

Goldfoot
12-08-2011, 09:26 PM
According to Ticketmaster, they no longer are playing those shows. The tickets were there all day, but now they're not appearing... Check Fourtheye to see that I didn't make this up.

Also, keep refreshing this. http://www.ticketmaster.com/Tool-tickets/artist/720703

Oh, yeah I guess you did say that they were on Ticketmaster, but as they are not there now, that isn't reason enough to believe that it is true. IMDB constantly has wrong information about movies that are in development. I'm not saying Ticketmaster is full of user submitted content like IMDB, but IMDB is a pretty good source and, to my understanding, they are supposed to check their info before posting it. It seems to me Ticketmaster should have the same kind of standards.

Pemulis
12-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Thus suggests to me that you're fairly familiar with music about aliens, which makes me curious. The only other song that comes to mind for me is Weird Al's Slime Creatures From Outer Space but, as you said, you don't like silly music so I doubt you know that one. I know it's off topic, but what else are you referring to?

Well, since we're on a Nine Inch Nails board a good example would be Year Zero. All of the talk about "The Presence", while perhaps not quite the image of alien most people conjure up, it was close enough. I enjoyed a lot of the music on that album but the subject matter was a huge turn off.

Harry Seaward
12-09-2011, 01:49 AM
the subject matter was a huge turn off.

What exactly did you not enjoy about it?

Pemulis
12-09-2011, 09:07 AM
What exactly did you not enjoy about it?

Pretty much all of it, really. Very little of the story resonated with me.

Concepts albums are pretty hard to do right anyway and as I said I don't find aliens very good subject matter for music. Politics either for that matter. The former comes off as hokey, the latter preachy and I don't appreciate either quality.

Mister Squishy
12-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Though I have to say that it's been quite awhile since the days of my Tool obsession, I do revisit their records from time to time and they'll always be really important, formative records for me. I remember 10, 000 Days being my most anticipated record (it probably still is to this day, matched maybe only by With Teeth or the upcoming A.C. record, but that's for another thread), and like many others, being totally underwhelmed after the first listen. Ironically, it's the one that I find myself coming back to most often now. What I first took to be haphazard or muddled in terms of production I eventually came to love - it's so visceral and dense and unhinged in a way that Lateralus is not. Then there's that whole trance-y, monastic desert vibe (Wings, Intension) that pulls the record into some other place, some deep reservoir of history or memory. Or something.

Ok, fine. But then there's Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned. Aliens and acid trips? What the fuck is this? It just seems so disjointed, completely jarring the flow of the record. More than anything, it was MJK's lyrics that I couldn't wrap my head around. As Pemulis and others have said, it all just seems so arbitrary and SILLY. Humor has always been a part of it, sure, but to make this 20 minute (or whatever) meandering gag the centerpiece to an otherwise pretty cool record? Let's try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Warning: This is not an attempt to fit Rosetta Stoned into some all-encompassing theory of the unity of 10, 000 Days. It's a disparate record, for sure. But maybe there's a way to think about it so that it doesn't ruin the record, for those of you haters out there.

Anyone remember the early pre-release press for 10, 000 Days, when the band described it as their blues record, a reflection of the disillusionment that surrounds post-911 America, personal loss, a kind of epitaph or mourning for dead ideals? Think of the kinds of things they'd talk about in interviews before, often in earnest, things like subversive politics, the occult, collective unconscious, etc. If Lateralus represents at least the possibility of transcendence and enlightenment, then I think 10, 000 Days, and RS most radically, turns these ideals right on their heads. The world in 10, 000 Days is (for the most part) more violent, but also more blunt, more cynical and brutal. It's got a sadness, too, beneath it all.

And then there's the Rosetta Stoned suite, smack in the middle of the whole thing. In place of the old, sweeping intensities and ideas and conflicts, we have stream-of-consciousness schizo-babble, brand names, bodily functions, celebrities. This is a guy who believes he's been offered a profound insight, a privileged position from which he can access the answer to our collective woes. He's so close. But he can't remember what he saw, can't say for sure whether it was even real. The message is lost, or at least, it can't be captured in any coherent or communicable way. He's alone. The pieces don't fit, you could say, and maybe they never did. Could there be anything more at odds with the lofty aspirations of Lateralus than those last lines of RS, repeatedly bludgeoning us with this record's new message? "Don't know. Won't know." It's self-parody, for sure, or maybe self-criticism, a long, level re-evaluation of the kinds of grand sentiments that belonged to more expansive, optimistic times. In this sense it's a serious song, too, and pretty brilliant, at least conceptually.

It's not hard to see why some fans are turned off. In a real, obvious way, the song can be read as a caricature of the band's fan, eagerly deciphering the latest metaphors and clues, fitting this or that piece into some larger messianic web of meanings. While in reality, he's just fucked up, dreaming, shitting his (figurative?) pants, losing himself in symbols and signs.

Lots of words spent on a Tool song. And maybe not even a great Tool song, comparatively. Certainly unique in their body of work. But I think there's more that we can say about it than, "they ran out of ideas and wrote about drugs and UFOs". Not that anyone said that, it just seems to be a general sentiment.

And howdy! Long time lurker, first time poster. Glad to see this place up and running again. And Pemulis, I'm glad to see another DFW nut on board.

Harry Seaward
12-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I agree with pretty much everything Mister Squishy said about Rosetta Stoned. I think it's easily the best song from 10,000 Days and definitely one of Tool's best. To take it at face value and write it off as a silly song about aliens seems to be a huge mistake. Sure, the lyrical content might not be as complex or 'serious' (for lack of a better word) as the rest of Tool's catalog, but I don't think it's simply a song about hallucinogens and aliens. Like any work of art, it's meant to be taken as a metaphor. Tool's other music is usually a complex metaphor for something more simple. I think Rosetta Stoned is unique in the fact that it's a simple metaphor (not simple meaning it's easy to decipher, but simple meaning the way in which the metaphor is articulated isn't as complex as Tool's other lyrical content) for something more serious.

Or maybe we're just over-thinking it and it's really about one of the guys doing DMT and a recollection of his trip. Either way, it's a fucking rocking song. Lyrics aside, the musicianship on that song is beautiful.

somewhatdamaged
12-09-2011, 06:31 PM
The was some talk about fillers before in this thread...

It's funny because I when I bought Lateralus and 10,000 Days, I couldn't stand the extra lead-in tracks, after two or three listens I burnt my own CD (like I used to all of the time) with those extras subtracted. And to me, man, It was so much better for me. I consider Lateralus and 10,000 both really strong albums, but then again, I am only listening to the songs not the lead-in tracks or fillers. I almost forgot some of the songs you mentioned until someone listed them (Lost Keys, Mantra, Faaip, etc...)

exilajei
12-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Though I have to say that it's been quite awhile since the days of my Tool obsession, I do revisit their records from time to time and they'll always be really important, formative records for me. I remember 10, 000 Days being my most anticipated record (it probably still is to this day, matched maybe only by With Teeth or the upcoming A.C. record, but that's for another thread), and like many others, being totally underwhelmed after the first listen. Ironically, it's the one that I find myself coming back to most often now. What I first took to be haphazard or muddled in terms of production I eventually came to love - it's so visceral and dense and unhinged in a way that Lateralus is not. Then there's that whole trance-y, monastic desert vibe (Wings, Intension) that pulls the record into some other place, some deep reservoir of history or memory. Or something.

This is pretty much how I feel as well. A few months after 10,000 Days came out I sort of just stopped listening to Tool completely, which lasted right up until last week, where for whatever reason I found myself starting to really get back into their stuff. As it stands right now, I'd probably say 10,000 Days is my favourite, with Lateralus still being their overall best.

As for Rosetta Stoned sticking out in the tracklist of 10,000 Days, I think that rings true with songs off of pretty much every album these guys have ever done... but I find Ticks & Leeches a lot more jarring and out of place on Lateralus than I do Rosetta Stoned.

Mister Squishy
12-11-2011, 05:19 PM
I couldn't agree more about Ticks & Leeches. I recently picked up Lateralus on vinyl but haven't listened to it yet because my turntable bit the dust. Gotta get that shit fixed. The tracklist is slightly different, so I'm interested to see how the balance shifts with Ticks & Leeches being a little earlier. I can imagine it being pretty cool, with DC's crazy triplet part at the end of Schism breaking into the chaos that is Ticks & Leeches. What a beast.

seasonsinthesky
12-11-2011, 08:42 PM
^ methinks you've been misinformed about the tracklist changes — the only change is "Disposition" being put after "Parabola." in fact, "Ticks" opens side C, so you won't be hearing it following "Schism" unless you lift the needle before "Parabol" starts!

Wretchedest
12-11-2011, 08:53 PM
WTF, Rosetta Stoned is an awesome song... and I love the lead in. It's a song about getting lost on acid with pretty good musicianship, why ask it to be something different? Seems par for the course for a band that's gone psychadelic rock.

|mando|
12-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Tool Tour 2012.

Tool will be playing in Tucson, AZ (Jan 17) and Albuquerque, NM (Jan 18).

Tickets go on sale (Ticketbastard) on Friday, Dec 16.

Enjoy, you lucky fucks.

Going to the ABQ show (if ticket buying proves successful at least)! :) At last, someone is actually playing here instead of skipping over NM.

Local radio promoted the 'announcement' a lot, and tickets will go on sale on livenation they said, pretty sure. Will be checking both sites though.

EDIT: Livenation and Ticketmaster are merged now? Jesus.

blackholesun
12-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Live Nation and Ticketmaster have been merged for quite some time.

My interested in Tool has waned over the years. I'm interested to hear what a new album would sound like at the very least. I loved 10,000 Days when it came out but I was also 17. It's not that great of an album but I do like Rosetta Stoned. Seeing Tool live was okay but their "fans" made it less than bearable.

Harry Seaward
12-11-2011, 10:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WojgpZZnYg4

My love for this band may be irrational, but isn't that the point of art?

Harry Seaward
12-12-2011, 08:24 AM
So, current confirmed dates:

Tucson, AZ (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/19004785E3B2458F?artistid=720703&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60) (Jan 17, Tucson Arena)

Albuequerque, NM (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1E0047857D0F3E50?artistid=720703&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60) (Jan 18, Tingley Coliseum)

Toledo, OH (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/08004789892343F4?artistid=720703&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60) (Jan 24, Huntington Center)

Duluth, GA (Feb 8, Gwinnett Arena) (Confirmed by local radio station)

Strange choice of destinations if you ask me. Going from New Mexico to Ohio in 6 days. It seems like there just has to be some shows in between those two. Maynard must be feeling younger. He just finished the Puscifer tour the other night, now Tool, and then Puscifer is touring again starting February 23rd. Not to mention the APC tour that finished up a few months ago. It's a good time for Maynard fans I guess. Also, once again, enjoy the shows you lucky bastards.

Harry Seaward
12-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Also, Dallas, TX (Jan 20, Verizon Theater) (Confirmed by local radio station)

Goldfoot
12-12-2011, 11:18 AM
My love for this band may be irrational, but isn't that the point of art?

Are you suggesting that this video is a reason you shouldn't like the band?

Harry Seaward
12-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Are you suggesting that this video is a reason you shouldn't like the band?

No, just saying I really, really love Tool. Maybe too much.

october_midnight
12-12-2011, 11:52 AM
TDN has people talking about Coachella, though someone saying they have sources saying that no dates will be later than Feb. 18th, and Atlanta on Feb 8th at Gwinnett Arena.

Goldfoot
12-12-2011, 12:17 PM
No, just saying I really, really love Tool. Maybe too much.

I do too, brother. I use Last.fm, though at times I don't have the plugin installed. So there's some gaps in my listening habits here and there that could last up to 6 months or more. Having said that, I've been signed up there since March 2005 and have 8588 plays of Tool as of now. That's not counting stuff I listen to in my car or at any time before March of 2005, so I'd say I love them quite a lot as well.

As for Rosetta Stoned, when I initially saw the tracklist for the album, I thought it was fake like Systema Encéphale. I didn't see a reason why they would split up Wings For Marie into two parts and the name Rosetta Stoned seemed insulting to me. Once I heard it was the real list, I was disappointed in the name of the song, but after I heard it I changed my perception because it actually works. I've always had an interest in extra-terrestrial life, and if you listen to Faaip De Oiaad, you can Tool has even approached the idea on at least one album before. I like the story that Rosetta tells and I think the music is great. Lateralus is probably going to always by my favorite from the,, but 10,000 Days is a really solid album and I probably hold it second (tied with Ænima).

Harry Seaward
12-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Reno, NV (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/17004788AA4159BE?artistid=720703&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60) (Jan 14, Reno Events Center)

Now, I just need to get this out...

OH MY GOD HOLY SHIT NO ONE EVER COMES TO RENO AHHH FUCK WHAT MERRY GODDAMN CHRISTMAS TO ME

jessamineny
12-12-2011, 02:31 PM
From my Twitter feed:
Any Tool fans out there? Today's @wootwine is from Maynard's own winery- it's $55 for 4 bottles (but you can still hum 46 and 2).
http://wine.woot.com

Harry Seaward
12-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Most updated list. Shows are getting added like crazy.

RENO, NV (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/17004788AA4159BE?artistid=720703&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60) (Jan 14, Reno Events Center)
Tucson, AZ (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/19004785E3B2458F?artistid=720703&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60) (Jan 17, Tucson Arena)
Albuquerque, NM (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1E0047857D0F3E50?artistid=720703&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60) (Jan 18, Tingley Coliseum)
Dallas, TX (https://tickets.axs.com/eventShopperV2.html?wr=f138e128-ee71-4688-a868-8bb646b744d3&lang=en&skin=verizon&preFill=1) (Jan 20, Verizon Theater) (Ticketmaster will not be handling this show. You need to buy tickets from the site linked, according to the venue's Facebook page.)
Toledo, OH (http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/08004789892343F4?artistid=720703&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60) (Jan 24, Huntington Center)
Camden, NJ (http://www.wmmr.com/music/concerts/Details.aspx?ConcertID=154641) (Jan 29, Susquehanna Bank Center)
Duluth, GA (Feb 8, Gwinnett Arena) (Confirmed by local radio station)

demgoth
12-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Great news! I will hopefully make it to the Camden, NJ show.. and I hope they announce another one closer to NYC which would be ideal. Saw them live most recently in July of last year in Las Vegas which was amazing, after having not seen them since the Lateralus era when I was just 14 years old, hard to believe (October 2001 at Madison Square Garden and August 2002 at Continental Airlines Arena a.k.a. Izod Center)

Harry Seaward
12-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Vegas added.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7141/6503157295_ff83bd193c_b.jpg

Got the map from Fourtheye.

fillow
12-13-2011, 02:28 AM
Unless they're playing REALLY different setlist this time (filled with long forgotten stuff like Sweat, Prison Sex, jimmy, The Grudge, etc.), I can't see how can they even motivate themselves to go on the road again with no new music. Do they need money so bad?

RJK
12-13-2011, 09:46 AM
I would think that they are doing this tour to fund the finishing of their new record. If it's just the 10,000 days setlist again I'll pass.

demgoth
12-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Uncasville, CT (Mohegan Sun Arena) January 31st according to Ticketbastard. on sale Saturday at 10am EST

also Camden is now listed on there too

edit: looks like it's a bit pricey too $64-84 for CT and $74-90 for Camden

ScreamingSlave
12-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Boston 1/28/12 TD North Garden

october_midnight
12-13-2011, 03:14 PM
1/14 Reno, NV – Reno Events Center
1/17 Tucson, AZ – Tucson Arena
1/18 Albuquerque, NM – Tingley Coliseum
1/20 Grand Prairie, TX – Verizon Theatre
1/24 Toledo, OH – Huntington Center
1/25 – Toronto, ON – ACC
1/26 – London, ON – JLC
1/29 Camden, NJ – Susquehanna Bank Center
2/08 Duluth, GA – Gwinnett Arena

Piko
12-13-2011, 03:44 PM
I would think that they are doing this tour to fund the finishing of their new record. If it's just the 10,000 days setlist again I'll pass.

They switched it up a little on that last tour. Third Eye, intolerance, etc.

theimage13
12-13-2011, 06:05 PM
$74 for Camden = what, $90 with fees?

Nope. Won't even consider that price.

Harry Seaward
12-13-2011, 11:13 PM
$74 for Camden = what, $90 with fees?

Nope. Won't even consider that price.

Is that a lot? Hm, maybe I've been jaded towards concert ticket prices from seeing too many Maynard-fronted bands live.

theruiner
12-13-2011, 11:18 PM
It seems a bit more expensive than the average price for a concert these days, but not by much. Most big bands seem to be charging around 60 to 70 bucks for the best tickets.

botley
12-14-2011, 03:53 PM
You pay less fees if you buy in person. Ticketmaster markups are ridiculous online.

exilajei
12-14-2011, 10:34 PM
I'll probably try and get some GA tickets for the Toronto show. I just really hope that the setlist will be quite a bit different this time around.

More from Undertow would be nice.

joplinpicasso
12-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Not for that price. Not when I'd have to drive from Staten Island to Camden (I did it for the NIN|JA tour, but that's it). Nope. Maybe next time, Maynard!

aggroculture
12-14-2011, 11:00 PM
I won't bother seeing a Tool show until they have a new album. Touring the same album for nearly six years is pretty lame. How many times can you hear Wings for Marie? Bah.

Harry Seaward
12-14-2011, 11:08 PM
How many times can you hear Wings for Marie? Bah.

Once sure would be pretty fucking rad.

theruiner
12-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Once sure would be pretty fucking rad.Meh. Then again, other than the lyrics (which might be the best Maynard has ever written...which is saying something) that song does pretty much nothing for me. So when I saw it live, it was pretty boring. Except for the light show- holy SHIT that was a rad light show. They had the laser lights going over our heads and kind of spread out flat, so it kind of looked like there was this neon green sky above our heads and then they had what looked like clouds passing through them, which were black. It was neat.

think i'm a fire engine
12-15-2011, 01:34 PM
The real meaning of the title 10,000 days is that's how long you're gonna have to listen to this album before we put out a new one.

Goldfoot
12-15-2011, 01:41 PM
The real meaning of the title 10,000 days is that's how long you're gonna have to listen to this album before we put out a new one.

Yeah, where do they get off waiting 6+ years to release a new album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_teeth)??

Dissonance
12-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Still doesn't make it any less excessive.

BenAkenobi
12-16-2011, 07:40 AM
my tool collection
http://i39.tinypic.com/20h98i9.jpg

willing to trade "album primer" promo cd for "parabola" and/or "schism" cds

demgoth
12-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm surprised at how fast Camden tickets are going, but I guess money is no object to hardcore Tool fans. I decided to hold off on this because according to Ticketmaster there is a date at Izod Center on February 1st. Tickets on sale tomorrow at 11. Hope I made the right decision and get some good tickets tomorrow.

The Doctor
12-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Is that a lot? Hm, maybe I've been jaded towards concert ticket prices from seeing too many Maynard-fronted bands live.

Not the same. Here's a comparison:

Dallas, TX next year for Tool, for 1 Ticket in the back section with fees and everything, $107

Austin, TX Puscifer date next February for 2 tickets center orchestra pit with fees and all, $92 (for TWO)

Big difference. And until there's a new album from Tool, I'm far more excited about Puscifer. It'll be a way more fun and involved show.

Space Suicide
12-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Puscifer and A Perfect Circle > Tool

As far as my tastes go, but I do love Tool and they are one of my favorite bands.

october_midnight
12-16-2011, 05:15 PM
TOOL WINTER TOUR DATES

Now that they are official, here are some TOOL WINTER TOUR DATES:

Jan 14 - Reno, NV @ Reno Event Center - ON SALE NOW (DEC 16)
Jan 15 - Las Vegas, NV @ Mandalay Bay Center
Jan 17 - Tucson, AZ @ Convention Center Arena - ON SALE NOW
Jan 18 - Albuquerque, NM @ Tingley Coliseum - ON SALE NOW
Jan 20 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Theatre - ON SALE NOW
Jan 21 - TBA
Jan 24 - Toledo, OH @ Huntington Center - ON SALE NOW
Jan 25 - Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre - ON SALE NOW
Jan 26 - London, ON @ John LaBatt Centre - ON SALE NOW
Jan 28 - Boston, MA @ TD Bank North Center - ON SALE NOW
Jan 29 - Camden, NJ @ Susquehanna Bank Center
Jan 31 - Uncasville, CT @ Mohegan Sun Casino Arena
Feb 1 - East Rutherford, NJ @ Izod Center
Feb 3 - TBA
Feb 4 - Charlotte, NC @ Bojangles Coliseum
Feb 6 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ Bank Atlantic Center
Feb 7 - Orlando, FL @ UCF Arena
Feb 8 - Atlanta, GA @ Gwinnett Center Arena - ON SALE NOW

Space Suicide
12-16-2011, 06:08 PM
They always hit up Charlotte, shame I've not seen them ever. Maybe I should invest to go this time!

botley
12-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Got a floor ticket for Toronto at reasonable price (apparently it's "reserved seating" though? Bizarre).

millionmilesaway
12-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Boston show! yeah

theimage13
12-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Got a floor ticket for Toronto at reasonable price (apparently it's "reserved seating" though? Bizarre).

Last time I saw 'em - back in 01 or 02 - it was reserved seating at an arena. Folding chairs put out on the floor. So pay attention to whatever your ticket says - it's probably accurate.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Haven't seen them in out 5 years so this is exciting. Going to the NJ, East Rutherford! Tickets bought!

bobbie solo
12-17-2011, 05:41 PM
meh....im not giving this shithead any more of my $ for now. I'm not going to spend close to $100 sight unseen after the BS he pulled with the APC tour this summer ( was suspicious about that too and luckily didnt buy tix). I want to see a setlist and see how long theyre on stage, then ill try and get a ticket somehow if it looks good. reeks of yet another moneygrab. and put out the new album already.

yes, i'm bitter. i've said it before: it's really hard to get behind anything Maynard does nowadays, esp. as compared to Trent and how much better he treats his fans.

aggroculture
12-17-2011, 07:07 PM
I just find it hard to see how Maynard can convincingly transition from one band (and state of mind) to the next. His creativity seems to be focused on Puscifer right now: this is obvious from the live shows. At the APC show I saw this summer he couldn't have sounded less interested. So I do worry about why Tool are suddenly touring right now. It's not like they need to drum up interest in a new album or anything: their audience is there, patiently waiting. So it's got to be money. OK, they need money like anyone else. But I'd rather they tour behind a new album, or at least do something a little different (a one-album a night tour or somesuch).

Harry Seaward
12-17-2011, 07:41 PM
meh....im not giving this shithead any more of my $ for now. I'm not going to spend close to $100 sight unseen after the BS he pulled with the APC tour this summer. I want to see a setlist and see how long theyre on stage, then ill try and get a ticket somehow if it looks good. reeks of yet another moneygrab. and put out the new album already.

yes, i'm bitter. i've said it before: it's really hard to get behind anything Maynard does nowadays, esp. as compared to Trent and how much better he treats his fans.

Maybe you should boycott Puscifer and APC then. Tool is Adam's band, and always has been.

aggroculture
12-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Adam is an arrogant prick with a big mouth. Tool is a collective, always has been. That's the beauty of it.

Harry Seaward
12-17-2011, 08:18 PM
From the Dec Newsletter:

Fair enough… but, consider this: During a month of touring, ALL FOUR BAND MEMBERS WILL BE TOGETHER, with lots of down time and great big stages containing their equipment, as well as state-of-the-art sound systems (The geniuses!). Not to mention crack security personnel. During the sound checks, once they’ve dialed in the mix for a couple of the songs on the set list for that evening, there should be a sufficient amount of time left to work on NEW MUSIC (that is - music for the next record). So, it’s a win-win situation – at least that’s how I see it…

So maybe that's the reason for the tour? They need to get their juices flowing?

bobbie solo
12-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Maybe you should boycott Puscifer and APC then. Tool is Adam's band, and always has been.

im not trying to start a fight, but youre not seriously gonna tell me that you think anything but Maynard is the reason there's been no new material and extremely sporadic touring since the 10,000 Days touring cycle ended, are you? Maynard's wine & Puscifer have held everything up for years now...APC is just the newest setback.

DF118
12-17-2011, 08:27 PM
im not trying to start a fight, but youre not seriously gonna tell me that you think anything but Maynard is the reason there's been no new material and extremely sporadic touring since the 10,000 Days touring cycle ended, are you? Maynard's wine & Puscifer have held everything up for years now...APC is just the newest setback.

I'm pretty certain it's because the members of Tool all absolutely hate each other.

Harry Seaward
12-17-2011, 08:33 PM

I'm not sure what makes you think that... Ever entertain the idea that Maynard is just bored of waiting for the other guys and wants to, I dunno, maybe create something with every breath?

I'm pretty certain it's because the members of Tool all absolutely hate each other.

I dunno if I'd be inclined to disagree with that either.

seasonsinthesky
12-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Adam is an arrogant prick with a big mouth.
lol. okay then.

botley
12-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Dudes in this thread: I don't remember paying extra to attend the whine-tasting. Enjoy the music or else get out.

theruiner
12-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Can't you see the wait for this new album is TEARING US APART?!

DF118
12-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Can't you see the wait for this new album is TEARING US APART?!

It's all part of the Tool Puzzle.

theruiner
12-17-2011, 11:16 PM
It's all part of the Tool Puzzle.I'm still convinced that piece of shit is a decoy album, and the real album, 10,001 Days, is going to come out in 2012 (just in time for the prophesied* ascension) and it will be glorious.

*=And by prophesied, I mean by the only prophet that matters: Maynard James Keenan in his song "Forty Six & 2." All hail.

DF118
12-17-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm still convinced that piece of shit is a decoy album, and the real album, 10,001 Days, is going to come out in 2012 (just in time for the prophesied* ascension) and it will be glorious.

*=And by prophesied, I mean by the only prophet that matters: Maynard James Keenan in his song "Forty Six & 2." All hail.

See, people might scoff at that and think it's a joke, but see if you play Vicarious, Wings For Marie Part 1 and the beginning of Viginti Tres at the same time? You hear something that sounds uncannily like the theme tune for Gilligan's Island.

theruiner
12-17-2011, 11:32 PM
It's Green Acres, you son of a bitch!

demgoth
12-17-2011, 11:45 PM
I hate buying tickets to anything nowadays because of the bullshit that happens. Like today for instance, I was on Ticketmaster exactly at 11:00 EST when tickets went on sale for the Feb. 1st Izod Center show. I am planning on going with a friend, so I searched for two tickets, best available, immediately at 11. The seating chart for this show was for the "theater" set up of Izod Center which basically puts the stage in the middle of the floor and cuts the arena in half with curtains to make it a more intimate feel. Keeping that in mind, I searched for two, best available, and came up with two in Section 206 in one of the last rows. I felt like I wanted something a little better so I gave them up and searched again for two. Got the sorry nothing is available message. Searched at least 5 more times for a pair of best availables and nothing. Getting mad now. Then I said fuck well I guess I'll try for a single and go by myself and apologize to my friend about my failure to get 2. I searched and got a ticket in Section 128 Row 14. Sounds good, looks good (with the "theater" setup advertised this would be a pretty good seat), I bought it ($84 after all fees). So I couldn't just leave it at that, like I usually always do in situations like this I started searching again for pairs. Then all of a sudden pairs are coming up again, this is about 30-40 minutes after the onsale time. Good pairs. WTF? So I got a pair that came up in Section 101 row 15, so I bought them figuring that they are pretty good seats, keeping in mind the advertised "theater" setup and now at least my friend can come. Now I have an extra, whatever, not the end of the world and it's not that far from the pair I bought so maybe I can find someone to come with or sell it. Then for shits and giggles I keep searching. Now there are really good pairs coming up, on floor sections, way better then what I got before. I hate when this shit happens. Then a while later there are pairs coming up in sections that are grayed out and supposed to be sectioned off for the "theater" setup. Then I realize that the seating chart no longer shows Theater and it just has the drop down menu and says Select A Seating Chart. Looking around it seems that they decided to just sell more tickets and make more money by making it a traditional "End Stage" setup after all. And now after buying 3 tickets in what were supposed to be pretty good sections, now there are way better seats popping up all over the place and my pretty good seats are now all the way across the whole floor on the other side of the arena. FFFFUUUUUUUUUU .
[/end Ticketmaster rant/first world problems of the day] oh well at least I'll be in the building and the visuals will probably be kick-ass even from across the arena. I just think it's messed up that they did that, but then again it's all about the money.

smokey_mcpot
12-18-2011, 09:50 AM
a tool winter tour? jesus... maynard has become a machine. i wonder where the TBA show will be..?

houston...? :)

think i'm a fire engine
12-18-2011, 03:29 PM

I'm actually convinced that it's not Maynard that treats his fans like shit, but that it's Maynard fans that treat him like shit.

With Tool, people are pissed when they don't have variety and a lot of the old songs get neglected. With APC, people bitch at the idea of playing all of their songs on different nights so no song gets left out. For new material, they bitch when a band of his doesn't put something out, but anytime he does put something out they bitch that they don't like it. They bitch when one of his bands has downtime, and they bitch when they go on tour. They bitch when he makes money, and they bitch when he doesn't. They bitch when his music sounds too much like it did back in the day, and they bitch when it sounds too different. His fans bitch when his other fans act like total douchebags, and they bitch when Maynard acts like his fans are total douchebags. They bitch when his stage presence is boring, and they bitch when he tries to liven up his act.

That's how I see it.

october_midnight
12-18-2011, 03:39 PM
That's pretty much it in my opinion as well. I always say that I love Tool, but I'm fuckin' embarrassed to be a Tool fan. Not because of the band, but because never have I seen such moaning from one group's fanbase, holy shit.

Goldfoot
12-18-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm actually convinced that it's not Maynard that treats his fans like shit, but that it's Maynard fans that treat him like shit.

I've always seen his behavior as a reaction to the way their fans act. They don't make the music they do because they are gods, and I'm sure it's simultaneously embarrassing and discouraging to them when their fans act as if the band are gods. I've never been personally embarrassed to be a Tool fan because I don't act in the way that a lot do. That would be like saying I'm embarrassed to be a beer drinker because most people who drink beer act like fools. I appreciate it for what I enjoy about it, and I just know that the band has to recognize that there are intelligent, "normal" fans that do not act in an absurd way about everything they ever do.

theruiner
12-18-2011, 04:56 PM
MAYNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTT TT

...I'm sorry. What were you guys talking about?

MAD
12-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Damn, I see you all here but (again) damn! I have never seen Tool live.

They never played in my country and the closest they got was in 2007 in Hungary. And (for the third time) damn, I was only 17, one year short from traveling alone to another country. I would have. So stop bitching. :)

Goldfoot
12-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Damn, I see you all here but (again) damn! I have never seen Tool live.

They never played in my country and the closest they got was in 2007 in Hungary. And (for the third time) damn, I was only 17, one year short from traveling alone to another country. I would have. So stop bitching. :)

Oh hey, you're as old as my younger sister. I've yet to get her into Tool, but I've gotten her away from her pop dominated taste in music. I didn't mean to come off as bitching (if I did). I'm fucking grateful I've been able to see them the three times that I have. Each were in a completely different type of venue and each were amazing in their on way. The problem is that for the last two ventures on the road (and probably this coming one) they have barely changed anything up to make it worth paying the high ticket prices to go to see them. I mean, I would love to see Tool live all the time, but at nearly $70 a show, I just can't justify it unless it's going to be something fresh. Granted, for you it's different, and I'm sorry you haven't been able to catch them live, but you at least see where we are coming from, right?

MAD
12-18-2011, 05:39 PM
but you at least see where we are coming from, right?
Of course I do. And I'm sorry buddy, that wasn't targeted at you :) It was a general thing, I've seen people QQing about the same setlist all over the internet. It makes sense for me not to go see the same band if they have the same show and the same setlist all the time. I just don't go and leave the others see fill up the venue.

aggroculture
12-18-2011, 06:04 PM
So Tool fans are whiners. Have the people whining about this fact ever listened to a Tool record? Their music is practically one long lament.

Goldfoot
12-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Of course I do. And I'm sorry buddy, that wasn't targeted at you :) It was a general thing, I've seen people QQing about the same setlist all over the internet. It makes sense for me not to go see the same band if they have the same show and the same setlist all the time. I just don't go and leave the others see fill up the venue.

No worries, I didn't think I had done it, but I felt like replying with my perspective on the situation.

So Tool fans are whiners. Have the people whining about this fact ever listened to a Tool record? Their music is practically one long lament.

I would say that the best music made is about personal experience. We all go through some sort of pain, and music is a way of expressing, and at times overcoming, such pain. This is a fucking NIN forum, so to think we aren't aware of music as a lamentation is laughable. That doesn't mean that we can not be discontent with the attitude of most of the fans. Having said that, no matter what the subject matter is of the music, does that give the fans any reason to act in such a selfish was as they do? Does it make it right that people say they are embarrassed to admit that they like a certain band because of the way OTHER PEOPLE react to said band? Should they just take it in stride because of the message the band may (or very well may not be) trying to convey?

seasonsinthesky
12-18-2011, 09:40 PM
^ don't feed the trolls ;)

Goldfoot
12-18-2011, 09:44 PM
^ don't feed the trolls ;)

You know, I thought about that but aggro has been around for a while and I figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt instead of writing them off as a troll. Maybe it was undeserved. I don't know.

Harry Seaward
12-18-2011, 10:17 PM
It makes sense for me not to go see the same band if they have the same show and the same setlist all the time. I just don't go and leave the others see fill up the venue.

THIS.

I've seen Tool once. All this whining about the same setlist over and over gets old. I'd pay $300 to see Tool play the same setlist I saw last time. I love Tool, I love the music. If you're sooo annoyed at the setlist, let people like me, who would sell their left nut to see Tool, go instead.

theruiner
12-18-2011, 10:29 PM
^^Good for you. You don't mind paying a bunch of money to see them do the exact same show, some of us do. Personally, I think it's bullshit. But hey, if you're ok with it, then by all means, go. But that doesn't mean the rest of us can't be pissed off that one of our favorite bands is still touring basically the same setlist they were doing five years ago. Some of us would really like to see them again, but not if it's the exact same thing.

lady weetly
12-18-2011, 11:04 PM
^^Good for you. You don't mind paying a bunch of money to see them do the exact same show, some of us do. Personally, I think it's bullshit. But hey, if you're ok with it, then by all means, go. But that doesn't mean the rest of us can't be pissed off that one of our favorite bands is still touring basically the same setlist they were doing five years ago. Some of us would really like to see them again, but not if it's the exact same thing.
They put on a great show and I love this band, but honestly I'm not traveling for this tour to see the same show I did in 2009. I'm just going to hold off and go to other shows for the time being. I'd love a new setlist/songs, but I can wait somewhat patiently.

bobbie solo
12-19-2011, 03:32 AM

With Tool, people are pissed when they don't have variety and a lot of the old songs get neglected. With APC, people bitch at the idea of playing all of their songs on different nights so no song gets left out. For new material, they bitch when a band of his doesn't put something out, but anytime he does put something out they bitch that they don't like it. They bitch when one of his bands has downtime, and they bitch when they go on tour. They bitch when he makes money, and they bitch when he doesn't. They bitch when his music sounds too much like it did back in the day, and they bitch when it sounds too different. His fans bitch when his other fans act like total douchebags, and they bitch when Maynard acts like his fans are total douchebags. They bitch when his stage presence is boring, and they bitch when he tries to liven up his act.

That's how I see it.

to me, that's a copout argument that let's you defend any possible action by Maynard and the band. you gloss over the legit complaints people like me have, and include nonsensical complaints that i've never made or seen written by others.

who exactly is bitching when Maynard tries to liven up his act? And outside of the goofy sideshow that is Puscifer, where exactly do u see him livening anything up? he gets worse and worse on stage with Tool & APC every go-round, more and more in the background and taking more verses and parts off for whatever reason.

"With Tool, people are pissed when they don't have variety and a lot of the old songs get neglected." yeah, how is this not a valid complaint? The Australian tour setlist was awesome but extremely short. it would be cool to play a similar set on this tour, but for the money they have the nerve to charge, it should be much much longer. a $90 arena show warrants a 2 hour performance MINIMUM to me...and based on how most arena shows go, other acts agree. that shit band Avenged Sevenfold is doing arena shows right now, and playing an hour or some shit, and people are pissed.

"With APC, people bitch at the idea of playing all of their songs on different nights so no song gets left out." who said this? I think most people thought it was a cool idea, but who can be blamed for not wanting to get stuck with the goofy Emotive night? only complaints about that tour was people wishing it was longer/hit more cities.

"For new material, they bitch when a band of his doesn't put something out, but anytime he does put something out they bitch that they don't like it. They bitch when one of his bands has downtime, and they bitch when they go on tour." this makes no sense. people arent allowed to have opinions about an artists' material? and the only bitching about downtime/touring with APC & Puscifer is that most people love Tool more than anything, and it's all taking away from putting out new music from the band we love the most. it's been 5 years, u can't understand why people are antsy to hear new Tool? And to me, you can't compare it to the wait in between The Fragile & With Teeth, bc Trent was dealing with some fucked up personal issues that he had to get over and disappeared almost completely in that time. can't say the same with Tool.

"They bitch when he makes money, and they bitch when he doesn't." who is bitching when Maynard doesnt make $? again, that makes no sense. in terms of the first part, the APC ticket prices were a total ripoff considering the amount of show you ended up getting in a small venue. Total ripoff to fans that had been waiting for years to see them again. Add in the bait & switch moves with Freese and "oh, were touring Emotive 7 years later haha", and it left a bad taste in alot of people's mouths. you can't see where people are coming from?

"They bitch when his music sounds too much like it did back in the day, and they bitch when it sounds too different." the first part makes no sense. who exactly wouldnt be psyched if new APC or Tool sounded like Mer De Noms or Undertow? If you mean Puscifer, i dunno bc i dislike that project strongly.

psycho rant over.

BenAkenobi
12-19-2011, 04:06 AM
isn't it probable that it's the venues who drive ticket prices high? i mean, they could think "oh this is TOOL they'll sell out no matter what we charge" and the band might be getting way less cash than fans probably think. i'm certain that if they played in my country this would be the case, tickets would definitely be $100 minimum. promoters love to rip off people, sometimes they openly say they take pride in it. and it happened that artist knew about it, got pissed off and never played here again.
about this band i can only complain about them hesitating to do a proper concert DVD. maybe they'll finally film this upcoming tour?

Harry Seaward
12-19-2011, 04:27 AM
maybe they'll finally film this upcoming tour?

TOOL films every show they play in HD. The December newsletter actually hinted at a Live DVD, but it's probably a longshot.

AgentofChaos
12-19-2011, 05:39 AM
Just some general comments directed at nobody in particular; I could care less that there is a new tour with no album. They haven't poked their heads in my neck of the woods since summer '09. That's almost 2 and half years and I live in a major city not some shithole. They could play the exact same set list they did then and I probably wouldn't even really notice (and I've seen the 10,000 Days tour on 3 seperate occasions). Sure, I'll be hoping for some gems like The Grudge or Third Eye that made appearances on the small tour in 2010, but it won't ruin my night not to get them or cause me to feel ripped off. Same goes for hearing some possible experimentation on a new song or two, would be awesome - but not a requirement to enjoy myself. I'm so starved to hear Lateralus live again that I bought two nights on this tour (Toronto & London), fully expect the same set list both nights and am fully ok with that since it might be quite a while before I get to see them again. Anything else is an absolute bonus. At the end of the day, you either like hearing their songs live or you don't in my opinion. For one or two nights a year of your life, how much could the repetition bother you? I don't really get it. They are still the songs you love and A LOT goes into the timing and precision to make those select songs sound as excellent as they do. The cost of the ticket is relevant to the fact that they tour with extremely expensive equipment, and that money that goes in to their light and visual show as well. You aren't going to see a band in an arena show for less than 60-70 dollars these days. If they wanted to rip their fans off they would charge 200-500 dollars like U2 and other mainstream acts charge.

I respect how Maynard and Adam and co. choose to present the band, and if you don't know by now that they are not a "jam band" then I don't what to tell you. You aren't going to see sporadic behavior on stage, you aren't going to see dynamic setlist changes, you aren't going to see Maynard being all lovey dovey with the fans because shit, he is not exactly a people person. None of this is secret information. Nor is the fact that Tool is not his number 1 priority. Everyone knows his passion right now is wine and Puscifer. Luckily for me, I dig them both. If you don't, well Maynard doesn't owe anything to Tool fans to make something that isn't exactly where his heart lies right now a top creative priority. Maybe you need to come to terms with the fact you aren't as big of a fan of the artist as you thought you were. That's ok (he can do without you, too.) I actually think it's cool he would do a Tool tour like this (to get the guys together and feel things out on the road in the early stages of the album), when clearly the fall and spring Puscifer dates are more than keeping him busy. If you really think he's that greedy and starved for cash that he is dire need of his diluted share of a 15 date tour where most of the money goes to ticketmaster, venues, concert promoters, and equipment costs, and that money is his reason for this, then clearly you haven't been paying much attention. He doesn't need the money and he doesn't exactly live a high luxury lifestyle that he needs a constant influx of cash to maintain.

Tool has always been about precision performance so at least when he does play shows with the band, the songs they do play are spot on. Make your comments about his waining voice if you must, but that is not exactly something within his control. Their last north american tour date was July 2010 (save one Hawaiin date I believe). It wasn't from a few months ago that you are seeing the same show now. The way I see it you have two choices, get over your expectations and go and enjoy hearing the tunes you supposedly love being played by masterful musicians, or realize that you aren't really much of a fan to begin with since you can't expect a band to operate solely by specific rules that YOU lay out for them. I have my negative comments like most, but everything else is just bullshit once you get to the venue, feel the rush in the air and then hear that opening riff. All I know is when Tool is in my town for a night, there is no where else I'd rather be. It's completely ok not to feel that way, but it's absolutely not Maynard or Adam's or even fucking Blair's job to make you feel that way. You either feel it or you don't. And if you don't, well I highly doubt slightly lower ticket prices or better setlists are going to change all that much for you. It's natural to be constructively critical, to suggest or hope or dream that one day the band might do one of the many things you would love to see them do, but it starts becoming unhealthy when it drastically effects your ability to enjoy going to a show. As this has been the standard for almost 10 years now, I'd say if that applies to you it's just about time to calmly and peacefully give Tool a break and move on to other things, no? What the fuck are you honestly waiting for, Maynard to find Jesus?

As far as the DVD goes, I think we will likely see some kind of documentation only once the band hangs it up for good. Maynard has always been about preserving the sanctity of the live act, and on top of that, I think the band knows they don't sound even close to as good on film as they do in person so there really isn't a need for one until the end of days when it will serve more for historical purposes than anything else.

aggroculture
12-19-2011, 08:17 AM
You know, I thought about that but aggro has been around for a while and I figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt instead of writing them off as a troll. Maybe it was undeserved. I don't know.

Haha, I must be an old troll ;) Been shoveling cash into this band since 1993, so I reserve a right to an opinion about them. Telling people to just kick back and enjoy whatever they send our way = the trolling. Nobody's harmed by bitching about a band, if you don't want to read it, read a book instead. TBH I am very excited about their next album: I loved 10000 Days. Just don't care to see them live again at this point in time with nothing new to offer, or to pay $100 to act as their album soundcheck audience.

think i'm a fire engine
12-19-2011, 03:44 PM
to me, that's a copout argument that let's you defend any possible action by Maynard and the band. you gloss over the legit complaints people like me have, and include nonsensical complaints that i've never made or seen written by others.

who exactly is bitching when Maynard tries to liven up his act? And outside of the goofy sideshow that is Puscifer, where exactly do u see him livening anything up? he gets worse and worse on stage with Tool & APC every go-round, more and more in the background and taking more verses and parts off for whatever reason.

"With Tool, people are pissed when they don't have variety and a lot of the old songs get neglected." yeah, how is this not a valid complaint? The Australian tour setlist was awesome but extremely short. it would be cool to play a similar set on this tour, but for the money they have the nerve to charge, it should be much much longer. a $90 arena show warrants a 2 hour performance MINIMUM to me...and based on how most arena shows go, other acts agree. that shit band Avenged Sevenfold is doing arena shows right now, and playing an hour or some shit, and people are pissed.

"With APC, people bitch at the idea of playing all of their songs on different nights so no song gets left out." who said this? I think most people thought it was a cool idea, but who can be blamed for not wanting to get stuck with the goofy Emotive night? only complaints about that tour was people wishing it was longer/hit more cities.

"For new material, they bitch when a band of his doesn't put something out, but anytime he does put something out they bitch that they don't like it. They bitch when one of his bands has downtime, and they bitch when they go on tour." this makes no sense. people arent allowed to have opinions about an artists' material? and the only bitching about downtime/touring with APC & Puscifer is that most people love Tool more than anything, and it's all taking away from putting out new music from the band we love the most. it's been 5 years, u can't understand why people are antsy to hear new Tool? And to me, you can't compare it to the wait in between The Fragile & With Teeth, bc Trent was dealing with some fucked up personal issues that he had to get over and disappeared almost completely in that time. can't say the same with Tool.

"They bitch when he makes money, and they bitch when he doesn't." who is bitching when Maynard doesnt make $? again, that makes no sense. in terms of the first part, the APC ticket prices were a total ripoff considering the amount of show you ended up getting in a small venue. Total ripoff to fans that had been waiting for years to see them again. Add in the bait & switch moves with Freese and "oh, were touring Emotive 7 years later haha", and it left a bad taste in alot of people's mouths. you can't see where people are coming from?

"They bitch when his music sounds too much like it did back in the day, and they bitch when it sounds too different." the first part makes no sense. who exactly wouldnt be psyched if new APC or Tool sounded like Mer De Noms or Undertow? If you mean Puscifer, i dunno bc i dislike that project strongly.

psycho rant over.

I'm not saying that there aren't gripes I have about his projects, but I think people are so personally invested in it sometimes that there is now absolutely nothing that could be done that wouldn't twist everyone's panties. I think people need to back off a bit and just realize that he puts on a show just like everyone else. There are other bands that I would tweak their setlist, but I don't see the massive indignation with them like I do with Maynard. The goofy sideshow is Maynard's way of livening things up, and those shows don't make any money but people bitch about paying for those too. The goofy Emotive show was them hitting their entire catalogue, and that's bitched about. You wanna hear the entire catalogue, as long as it's not the songs you don't like? As for the wait, it comes out when it comes out. Fans expect you to be near your death with a drug addiction before you're allowed to take time to yourself? Trent did the same thing with HTDA. All bands take time off, and it's not like you're not prepared. You know this happens cuz it happens every time between records. I heard people bitch about them not touring again after putting out Emotive, then bitched when they did. Far less people bitched about Freese leaving NIN. And I wouldn't be psyched to hear another record that sounded like their first records. 10-15 years later that sound just doesn't do it for me anymore, and there's enough people ripping off those records that I don't think they need to go back and redo them themselves . Puscifer is Maynard's attempt to get away from people's expectations that go along with his other two bands, but people bitch about that too. As far as the money verses the product, I can't comment much on that since I've never seen them live except on Youtube. You know what you'd get for what it costs. I've weighed it out and never gone. As for bitching about the material, I don't know. You're bitching now that there isn't any new material, and I guarantee when it finally comes out there'll be bitching about it.

Either way, there's really no way to untwist everyone's panties.

theruiner
12-19-2011, 03:47 PM
So, in other words, we pretty much have to love everything that Maynard puts out, and be grateful for anything he does, even if we don't like it and/or feel like he's ripping off his fans, and otherwise we're a bunch of ungrateful cunts? Just be a bunch of mindless sheep, then?

botley
12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
So, in other words, we pretty much have to love everything that Maynard puts out, and be grateful for anything he does, even if we don't like it and/or feel like he's ripping off his fans, and otherwise we're a bunch of ungrateful cunts? Just be a bunch of mindless sheep, then?
Of fucking course not — it's just bizarre that ignorant tossed-off comments like "it's all about the money", personal insults like "greedy shithead" referring to Keenan and "arrogant prick" referring to Jones pass muster for the discourse around this music.

Seriously, fuck off if you don't have anything more to offer than that. And at least hold off on 2012 setlist bitching until 2012 actually arrives.

Goldfoot
12-19-2011, 07:06 PM
As far as the DVD goes, I think we will likely see some kind of documentation only once the band hangs it up for good. Maynard has always been about preserving the sanctity of the live act, and on top of that, I think the band knows they don't sound even close to as good on film as they do in person so there really isn't a need for one until the end of days when it will serve more for historical purposes than anything else.

They've been talking about a live DVD for a couple albums now and nothing has come of it. Until they can find a unique and fitting way to present it, it isn't going to happen. Now with the rise of Bluray, I'd say it's way more of an option, but it's still a while off. As for the rest of what you're saying, it's not as simple as sucking it up and going to see them because they barely come around or not. I would love to see them every time they come around, but I can't afford to pay $80 to do so right now, especially when the closest show is an hour and a half away. I'd be going alone, so I'd have to pay for all of the gas. That would be around $20 I figure, putting the night at somewhere around $100. If I had that much to blow, you bet I'd be there, but I don't, so I won't.

Haha, I must be an old troll ;) Been shoveling cash into this band since 1993, so I reserve a right to an opinion about them. Telling people to just kick back and enjoy whatever they send our way = the trolling. Nobody's harmed by bitching about a band, if you don't want to read it, read a book instead. TBH I am very excited about their next album: I loved 10000 Days. Just don't care to see them live again at this point in time with nothing new to offer, or to pay $100 to act as their album soundcheck audience.

I know what you mean, I was just responding to the tone of your post and the last part of it. You made it sound like their music is just a bunch of whining itself and that expecting anything else from the fans is asinine.

theruiner
12-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Of fucking course not — it's just bizarre that ignorant tossed-off comments like "it's all about the money", personal insults like "greedy shithead" referring to Keenan and "arrogant prick" referring to Jones pass muster for the discourse around this music.I've seen a hell of a lot more discourse than just that.

Seriously, fuck off if you don't have anything more to offer than that. And at least hold off on 2012 setlist bitching until 2012 actually arrives.I'm pretty sure it was more about the principle of the thing, at least for me. Obviously, we don't know what the 2012 set list is, but people were basically discussing the idea of them playing the same set list over and over again, which they've more or less done.

Goldfoot
12-19-2011, 08:48 PM
I've seen a hell of a lot more discourse than just that.

I'm pretty sure it was more about the principle of the thing, at least for me. Obviously, we don't know what the 2012 set list is, but people were basically discussing the idea of them playing the same set list over and over again, which they've more or less done.

Exactly. On both counts. Also add to that the fact that the APC shows are about an hour long and contained mostly songs off EMOTIVE. It's perfectly understandable for people to be a little miffed after paying so much money, just to have short sets of songs that are either the same ones they've been playing, or ones that aren't even theirs. If I want to see a cover band, I go to a bar.

Space Suicide
12-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Unless the new album drops in time for this (yeah right) then I wager we'll probably see the same setlist with maybe an extra song throw in/swapped or two.

Harry Seaward
12-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Unless the new album drops in time for this (yeah right) then I wager we'll probably see the same setlist with maybe an extra song throw in/swapped or two.

You're probably right. Inside sources reveal that we should expect some 'setlist surprises' though. I'm sure it'll be generally the same, but 'surprises' are always nice.

Danny just revealed that Yob and Intronaut will be the openers, for the eastern and western dates respectively.

He also said they're still working on the setlist, but they may whip out Third Eye.

BenAkenobi
12-19-2011, 10:59 PM
on post-2006 tours they didn't play Parabola, did they?

Goldfoot
12-19-2011, 11:32 PM
on post-2006 tours they didn't play Parabola, did they?

I don't think they've really played it since 2002.

AgentofChaos
12-20-2011, 01:23 AM
^ Yeah Goldfoot is correct they haven't as far as I'm aware.

I've seen them on three seperate tour legs since 2006 and each time there was slight variation but Parabola never made an appearance. Not including the mini 2010 tour where Third Eye, The Grudge, Intolerance, & The Patient were dusted off, these were the staples that were interchanged from 2006-2010:

Jambi
Stink Fist

46 & 2

Schism

Lost Keys

Rosetta Stoned

Intension

Right in Two

Wings for Marie

10,000 Days

Flood

Aenema

Lateralus

Vicarious

The Pot

Basically all of 10,000 Days minus Lipan and Viginti and a few classics. Popular opinion somehow seems to think Pushit will be on the new set lists. Wonder if they would do the Salival version again?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGbel0NZpXo

Amongst any of the ones mentioned above from '10 mini tour and '11 Australian dates, my personal hope is that Opiate shows up, I'd actually I'd take anything from that EP as this year is the 20th anniversay of the record but I'm not holding my breath. I could see Swamp Song or Crawl Away happening. DRT would be fucking epic, as would any of Prison Sex, Eulogy, H, Hooker with a Penis, or of course, Ticks and Leeches. If we're lucky we might get ONE of those.

Rdm
12-20-2011, 03:07 AM
I saw tool a bunch of times in 2007 and 2008 and both years I felt like they were the worst shows I been to that year. I always give them the benefit of the doubt every time they go on tour and every fucking time I'm let down. Horrible live band, IMO, that I won't get behind ever again. Maynard voice has been lost in the mix since 2007, even with APC.

bobbie solo
12-20-2011, 03:32 AM
Yob opening up is very, very cool. good choice.

Harry Seaward
12-20-2011, 03:34 AM
I saw tool a bunch of times in 2007 and 2008 and both years I felt like they were the worst shows I been to that year. I always give them the benefit of the doubt every time they go on tour and every fucking time I'm let down. Horrible live band, IMO, that I won't get behind ever again. Maynard voice has been lost in the mix since 2007, even with APC.

They were amazing in 2010 and Maynard's voice was fantastic for the Puscifer, Tool, and APC shows I saw in 2009, 2010, and 2011 respectively.

Rdm
12-21-2011, 04:19 PM
I politely disagree. I wish I felt different about it, but I don't I think he is terrible live now.

blackholesun
12-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Maynard's voice wasn't very good when I saw APC earlier this year. The band didn't sound good either. It was like watching a shitty APC cover band play APC songs (half of which were fucking covers anyway). I got a pretty cheap ticket for $25 but I'm glad I didn't pay $80 something like some of my friends did and one of my friends even bought a $60 sweatshirt! I have better quality sweatshirts I got from Target for $10 for working out...

I feel bad for the bands that open for Tool. They actually pick pretty good bands to open but Tool fans just boo or don't even listen.

Anyways, Tool pretty much makes the decision for me of whether I'm gonna see them or not - Same setlist? Check. Insane ticket prices? Check. Meh.

seasonsinthesky
12-21-2011, 07:45 PM
^ agreed about the openers issue. YOB is going to destroy. remember when Meshuggah opened for them on the Lateralus tour? whine whine whine! Tool fans can be some of the most closed-minded douchebags ever.

bobbie solo
12-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Meshuggah was so fucking good when i saw them open for Tool in LI. everyone around me except for a hew headbanging metalheads were so bummed. idiots. YOB will destroy like you said.

Conan The Barbarian
12-27-2011, 09:40 AM
My friend is saying that on Feb.6 Tool will be down in my area of Ft. Lauderdale, but ticketmaster is only showing Orlando on the 8th. Can anyone confirm this or am I having to take a trip to Orlando?

fortysixand2
12-27-2011, 11:48 AM
My friend is saying that on Feb.6 Tool will be down in my area of Ft. Lauderdale, but ticketmaster is only showing Orlando on the 8th. Can anyone confirm this or am I having to take a trip to Orlando?
Yes they will be in Ft Lauderdale on Feb 6th
http://www.bankatlanticcenter.com/events/event.asp?event_id=715

Harry Seaward
01-01-2012, 12:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urQL1DGC0Zc

This is pretty cool.

aggroculture
01-01-2012, 02:58 PM
It takes a lot of meditation to hold that still for 14 minutes, 33 seconds.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-01-2012, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Isis open for Tool again like back in 06' at Nassau. So good.

Ryan
01-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I wish Isis would come out of retirement. They didn't need to do that, Wavering Radiant was amazing.

Harry Seaward
01-04-2012, 05:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGkTszdJT2I

JessicaSarahS
01-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Anyone have a ticket for the Reno show this saturday? All sold out on TM, and my weekend just cleared up.

Harry Seaward
01-12-2012, 07:28 PM
I suggest looking around Fourtheye and ToolNavy, if you haven't already.

Someone was selling 2 awesome floor seats yesterday, but they're gone already.

theruiner
01-13-2012, 12:53 AM
So...there was a puzzle after all?! (http://www.cracked.com/article_18896_10-mind-blowing-easter-eggs-hidden-in-famous-albums/25_tools-epic-do-it-yourself-song.html)

Check out the article and then hear it for yourself here. (http://tinyurl.com/8a7d8uo)

I have to say, it's an interesting theory, but after hearing it I'm still not completely convinced (though it is possible).

scottness
01-13-2012, 01:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urQL1DGC0Zc

This is pretty cool.

Watching (more like listening) to this video gave me two thoughts:

-I'll likely not go out of my way to see Tool live in concert again,

-I really, really miss having a bomb car stereo with ribcage-rattling subs. I miss it dearly.

Harry Seaward
01-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Watching (more like listening) to this video gave me two thoughts:

-I'll likely not go out of my way to see Tool live in concert again,

How did that video bring you to this conclusion?

Harry Seaward
01-13-2012, 01:19 AM
So...there was a puzzle after all?! (http://www.cracked.com/article_18896_10-mind-blowing-easter-eggs-hidden-in-famous-albums/25_tools-epic-do-it-yourself-song.html)

Check out the article and then hear it for yourself here. (http://tinyurl.com/8a7d8uo)

I have to say, it's an interesting theory, but after hearing it I'm still not completely convinced (though it is possible).

Like I've said before:

It sounds rad, sure. but it's nothing more than fans over-thinking and over-analyzing the music.

BenAkenobi
01-13-2012, 03:42 AM
wait, wasn't the puzzle in finding 10000 differences between stereo pictures? combined songs don't sound fascinating to me

scottness
01-13-2012, 08:48 AM
@Harry Seaward: I guess it would be more accurate to say that I won't go out of my way to see them in concert in general, independent of watching the video. I like their music. I've seen them a couple of times live and they do not tickle me.

bobbie solo
01-15-2012, 04:52 AM
Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Ticks & Leeches
Pushit (album version)
Schism
Intension
Forty-Six & 2
Lateralus
The Pot
Aenema

that was tonight's setlist from the Reno show, first one of the tour. Obviously Hooker, Ticks & Pushit are really cool additions, but otherwise it's the same old, same old. Still refuse to dumb Schism, Aenema, Lateralus and 46 & 2. screw the casual fans, those songs need a rest in some way, shape or form. maybe dont dump all 4, but certainly Schism, right? I dont know...I still stick by my opinion that these shows aren't worth the obscene amounts they're charging based on seeing that setlist. 11 songs, four of which have been played to death? I dont think Hooker, Pushit & Ticks is enough of a wow factor for me. Unless my contact comes through with a free ticket, I'm gonna pass. YOB opening my show at the Meadowlands is very intriguing though.

here's the poster for the Reno show:

http://twitpic.com/87g1ku

i like that...it's different for them.

theruiner
01-15-2012, 05:14 AM
So..."Hooker With a Penis" (ok, but nothing to get excited about), "Ticks and Leeches" (bleh), "Jambi" is still on there (snore) and "The Pot" (awful song). Alright. I don't feel too bad about missing this tour any more.

Edit: For the record, though, I actually think they did change it up enough. Tool only play ten or eleven songs a night, and you have to figure that some songs are staples and are going to be on every set list, just like any other band. I think it sticks out a bit more because they play such few songs. But to me, changing out three or four songs in a ten or eleven song set list is more than enough. I just happen not to like the songs they chose to bring in this time around, so I'm not too bummed I'm missing this particular tour. Hopefully the next time they come around it'll be on the heels of a new album and we'll get something a bit different.

AgentofChaos
01-15-2012, 05:56 AM
I thought that setlist was bad ass. Hooker and Ticks were serious surprises. Can't wait to hear Maynard belt those out. All indications were his voice was sounding great and that he looked refreshed and enjoyed. Playing with Puscifer seems like its doing the trick.

Intension wasn't exactly common either, and Pushit was supposedly epic.

The real surprise will be when if learn that the setlists won't be the same every night. If the tour is 18 dates, and they play some of these new additions only 5-7 times, how would you feel then? I mean it will probably be close to the same most nights, but I expect there are still some nuggets that will be dropped along the way.

I get the feeling that some people have just moved on from the band and the complaints aren't so much about the setlist as they are about the falling out from a band they once loved? I think Tool could play Lateralus in full and some people still wouldn't be happy.

bobbie solo
01-15-2012, 06:17 AM
doing a few diff. songs on only select nights would be cool.

Lateralus in full would be fun for alot of fans, but not me. I'm in the seeming minority of big Tool fans who absolutely hates the Reflection/Disposition/Triad thing....way too boring for me. Plus, the they'd still be playing Schism haha.

coolguy
01-15-2012, 06:33 AM
I don't understand how anyone could possibly get excited over this band anymore.

fillow
01-15-2012, 10:47 AM
I do. And if they come anywhere within 500km from me I'll sell my kindey and go. Though considering where I live, that won't happen sooner than the tour for the new album and I will still have to cross a border or two.

ManBurning
01-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Ticks and Leaches eh? Wow, that's a shocker! I didn't think Maynard had it in him anymore to scream like that. Thought that was the original reason why they barely ever played that song live back in the day, as it erally did a number on his throat... we'll see how long that stays in the set before he loses his voice.
But, that song alone is worth the price of admission!

fillow
01-15-2012, 02:05 PM
I won't be surprised if he sings Ticks through vocoder, like Rosetta

edit: spoiler'd

Harry Seaward
01-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Wow. That show was fucking awesome.

Yes, he used the megaphone for Hooker and Ticks. And yes, it sounded unbearably good. He was spot on for every single note I heard. Opening with Hooker and you guys are fucking complaining? Get out of the thread then, you ungrateful pricks.

The lyrics changed were hilarious, some have been mentioned already. I especially loved 'sold my soul to fuck your mother' and 'dope Slipknot tee'. He threw a Schleyer in as well, but I can't remember which song. There were a few minor screw ups, but nothing near messing up the show. All the guys seemed to be in a great mood. Maynard was pretty talkative, as was already mentioned. As someone who hates the city of Reno, I appreciated the 'Welcome to Hell.'

But that is just the beginning...

As the show was over and they were taking their bows, I ran up to the closest I could get to the stage. Keep in mind, I was fairly close already, Section 102, directly next to the stage. Well I ran up as soon as Danny was tossing out drumsticks and belt out a nice "FUCK YEAH!" and lo and behold, motherfucker tosses a drumstick directly into my hand. (I may be exaggerating, I doubt he tossed it to me on purpose, but you bet your ass I caught that shit.) Awesome. Awesome, awesome. People all around were telling me how rad that was. I proceeded to put it in my coat and hide it all night.

Well the crowd filed out and I made a beeline to the tour buses. Me and some other guy were there for a while, when we saw a door on the side of the venue swing open. We decided to just nonchalantly walk in. We walked past the catering tables where some people were chilling and eating food, and stopped by some guys drinking beer. Then we were politely escorted out by Justin's friend/manager/agent/something... Drats.

We decided to hang around at the tour buses anyway. Eventually three other people showed up, one of which was a Fourtheye lurker (what's up bro!) and we shat the shit for a while. Then two other dudes came across the street from their hotel to chill, too. And I say chill, because it wasn't warm in that motherfucker.

Eventually, someone recognizes Adam Jones lurking in the shadows by one of the buses, so we scream out, "Yo Adam!" and he proceeded to ignore us and enter the bus with his friends. A few minutes later, he got off and when back in the venue. Damn. So we're still being patient and waiting it out, when I see a guy with a shaved head and a big beard talking to a chick. Justin. "Hey, Justin! Thanks man!" He waves and returns to the venue. Fuck.

THEN, a bit later, Justin returns to the bitter, cold air of Reno. We yell out his name some more, and...he decides to walk over. Fuck yeah. He was hanging out with that same dude who escorted out of the catering area a bit earlier. Justin is wasted and nice as shit. Super personable. He took pictures with everyone who asked, signed shit, shook hands, and chatted a bit. Second time meeting Justin and he was just as cool. (By the way, the dude who said he'd send me an email with the pics didn't sent it yet. =/)

A few minutes later, we see Adam return with Korrin and a TOOL's big, black bodyguard. He kisses her as she returns to the bus, and... Adam fucking Jones walks over to talk with us fans. He seemed understandably reserved, but had no problem shaking hands and signing tickets. He was much nicer than I imagined him to be. The bodyguard wouldn't let you near him if you were smoking though lol.

As people were getting things signed by, I glance over by the tour buses to see the one and only Danny Carrey waltzing on over to us. No way this is happening. He whipped out his purple Sharpie and also had no problem signing things and shaking hands. He seemed a bit more reserved than I was expecting, but it was still super rad for him to talk to us. After a few minutes, they departed and we all stood around with the same 'holy shit, no way did that just happen' expressions on our faces.

I got all of their signatures on my ticket page, because I was too shocked to think about whipping out my poster or my drumstick. Either way, unbelievable night. That's my story, sorry for the dramatization.

Space Suicide
01-15-2012, 06:58 PM
And Maynard was no where to be found. Asshole.

botley
01-15-2012, 07:43 PM
I peeked at the setlist (to those who bothered: thanks for the spoiler tags) and I'm pretty stoked for the Toronto show now. Not going to look at any video/photos until after I've seen for myself...

theruiner
01-16-2012, 12:02 AM
^^Crap! I forgot all about the spoiler tags. Sorry, man. *goes back to edit previous post*

The real surprise will be when if learn that the setlists won't be the same every night. If the tour is 18 dates, and they play some of these new additions only 5-7 times, how would you feel then? I mean it will probably be close to the same most nights, but I expect there are still some nuggets that will be dropped along the way.I wouldn't feel differently at all. I don't care if they play the same set list every night, as most people only see them once during a tour. It would bother me if they came back to the same exact cities in two years and did the exact same show.

Yes, he used the megaphone for Hooker and Ticks. And yes, it sounded unbearably good. He was spot on for every single note I heard. Opening with Hooker and you guys are fucking complaining? Get out of the thread then, you ungrateful pricks.Right away, sir! Sorry for disturbing you with a different opinion!

botley
01-16-2012, 12:54 AM
Having a different opinion is fine, it's just having a shitty attitude about it that's not cool (EDIT: lookin' at you, bobbie solo).

botley
01-16-2012, 04:26 AM
I've noticed this too. It is certainly not a function of the fine work you've done on the Hotline over the years.

My theory is that we've become too jaded as an online music culture for bands like Tool. When everything in the world is a file on a computer it is just too hard to get into a long contemplative track or (God forbid) a whole album.

Not saying that this in and of itself is good or bad. It is just a shame because so many of us were introduced to new concepts and ways of looking at the world through this band.

bobbie solo
01-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Having a different opinion is fine, it's just having a shitty attitude about it that's not cool (EDIT: lookin' at you, bobbie solo).

right, cuz Maynard's attitude about Tool has just been so positive over the past 7 or so years, how could i NOT be more excited about them as a band....RIGHT???

:rolleyes:

Harry Seaward
01-17-2012, 01:21 AM
right, cuz Maynard's attitude about Tool has just been so positive over the past 7 or so years, how could i NOT be more excited about them as a band....RIGHT???

:rolleyes:

What does Maynard have to do with anything? You know he's just a singer, right? Literally the least important aspect of the band.

Rdm
01-17-2012, 02:56 AM
Are you being sarcastic?

Harry Seaward
01-17-2012, 03:19 AM
Are you being sarcastic?

Me? Yes, I consider Maynard the least important aspect of the band. Not like that even matters, because he was very into the Reno show. So even if he fucking hates Tool, he's not showing it on stage, and that's all that matters.

botley
01-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Maynard's contribution is what makes the band palatable to a mass audience and therefore a viable independent entity. Vitally important. He also attempts to repel the slobbering sycophants with sarcasm, without as much success.

Ryan
01-17-2012, 04:05 PM
I've noticed this too. It is certainly not a function of the fine work you've done on the Hotline over the years.

My theory is that we've become too jaded as an online music culture for bands like Tool. When everything in the world is a file on a computer it is just too hard to get into a long contemplative track or (God forbid) a whole album.

Not saying that this in and of itself is good or bad. It is just a shame because so many of us were introduced to new concepts and ways of looking at the world through this band.

The part that upsets me the most is that in the leadup to the follow-up to Lateralus, I distinctly recall saying to a friend at the time "how on earth are they going to make something better than Lateralus?" and I had a feeling things would go downhill. Circa 2001-2003/2004 things were still kind of "special" in the music world. There were surprises to be had and so on. It's only been in approximately the last five or six years that everything has become jaded, as you mentioned. There's this sudden lack of mystery. Now on YouTube you can see footage of a gig literally right after it's over, or while it's happening in high quality. You see candid sides of Maynard on his property in Arizona. And the crumbling point, at least directly in terms of Maynard's downfall, was immediately apparent: the release of The Outsider "video". Everything went downhill and lacking in quality after that.

I think you all get the general gist of what I'm saying. There was a definite altering point somewhere there. I feel as though everything essentially post 2004 or 2005 saw a real decline in our appreciation for music and we just got to see too much. Or more than we want to know or should know about artists. I think that's the problem with Tool now. When we didn't have access to twitter or being essentially able to see inside Maynard's ass hole via the web, when it was all more of a distant, mysterious type thing and we didn't know what to expect... those were the days.

Harry Seaward
01-17-2012, 10:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2xcxo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/t7zub.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/w0CQv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2sDT0.jpg

theruiner
01-18-2012, 01:29 AM
***SPOILER for this tour*** Proof that he's human. (http://tinyurl.com/7qyl2n4)

I'm not knocking him, I just think that's pretty funny.

That all being said, the music sounds GREAT, but his singing is awful. I know he can't sing as high any more, I get that, but damn. It doesn't sound right at all in a lower octave.

Kodiak33
01-18-2012, 06:56 AM
I noticed watching some of the Reno videos that Maynard missed alot of the lines and the timing. Music sounds awesome though.

theruiner
01-18-2012, 09:59 AM
The music does, indeed, sound great, and Carey continues to blow me away. How that dude can still drum like that at 50 (I think he's 50...right?) is beyond me.

Harry Seaward
01-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Here is an album with all the tour posters so far. I'll add more as the tour continues. Even though it seems the huge majority of people in this thread are anti-Tool...

http://imgur.com/a/lc4XM

denuir
01-18-2012, 11:37 PM
I like the part where they misspelled Albuquerque.

I'm quite looking forward to any new music from them, though. I actually really appreciated 10,000 Days.

MAD
01-19-2012, 03:17 AM
http://i.imgur.com/w0CQv.jpg
I would sell my kidney and name my firstborn after you for that stick.

bobbie solo
01-19-2012, 03:17 AM
I like the part where they misspelled Albuquerque.

people misspell that all the time, but b/c of that fact, you'd think SOMEONE would have thought to double/triple check it before going to the printers. rush job, but kinda funny.

bobbie solo
01-19-2012, 03:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/t7zub.jpg

and this is why "print your own" tickets are ridiculous to me, if youre trying to do the whole keepsake thing. that looks goofy. not your fault, but thats why i never do it.

Harry Seaward
01-19-2012, 03:26 AM
I would sell my kidney and name my firstborn after you for that stick.

Dude, you couldn't believe how happy I was when I caught that thing. Perks of being somewhat tall. I also elbowed the other guy trying for it in the head on the way down. I don't think I've ever jumped that high.

and this is why "print your own" tickets are ridiculous to me, if youre trying to do the whole keepsake thing. that looks goofy. not your fault, but thats why i never do it.

I agree, but a friend bought the ticket for me and there wasn't enough time to get hard tickets mailed to him, and then mailed to me.

theruiner
01-19-2012, 03:37 AM
I'm quite looking forward to any new music from them, though.That would be nice. I get the funny feeling it won't be out until early next year. I hope I'm wrong, though. It's kind of hard to believe we're coming up on six years since the last album. It doesn't seem like that long.

fillow
01-19-2012, 03:44 AM
http://www.fourtheye.net/ has been updated

Harry Seaward
01-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Dallas tour posters added, with artwork done by Adam Jones.

http://imgur.com/a/lc4XM

Volk
01-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Anyone have a spare ticket for the Philly show? I'd rather not go thru Stubhub.

Wretchedest
01-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Hey I figure you guys hadn't seen this yet because it comes from my local paper.... in the opinion column

Last night I worked a Tool concert. For those not familiar with them, Tool is a heavy metal band of spoiled brats. They held a meeting with us (I am an Usher) prior to the event and threatened to have us all fired if we did not keep everyone in their seats and if they saw anyone taking pictures or videotaping the show. Oh-and their organ player does not like to be watch or looked at, so we were not allowed in to prep our areas, or even to clock in because he was doing his sound check. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like being a rock star is an interesting career choice for someone who doesn't like to be looked at....

We lost complete control of the concert the minute the music started. The fans were up on the stairs and dancing in the aisles and even trying to stand in their seats. EVERYONE was taking photos and videos with their cell phones. there was a lot of drinking going on (big surprise), and I had a group (as in more than one) throwing up all over the seats and people in front of them. I was elbowed in the face, pushed down the stairs and even spit on by folks who didn't want to go back to their seats.....

It goes on without anything else notable.

Of course, while she should have known what to expect, it was a dick move for Tool to threaten to get the Ushers fired, and it sounds like the audience at a Tool show completely sucks to deal with...

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Of course, while she should have known what to expect, it was a dick move for Tool to threaten to get the Ushers fired, and it sounds like the audience at a Tool show completely sucks to deal with...

Sounds like that guy is a drama queen.

And Tool is a big show that draws a lot of attendance. I think they have to right to do things their way.

Regarding the audience, I talked with a few of the venue guys at the show I went to, and they said that the crowd was unbelievably chill for such a big rock concert. Sounds like your city is just filled with apes.

Wretchedest
01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Sounds like that guy is a drama queen.

And Tool is a big show that draws a lot of attendance. I think they have to right to do things their way.

Regarding the audience, I talked with a few of the venue guys at the show I went to, and they said that the crowd was unbelievably chill for such a big rock concert. Sounds like your city is just filled with apes.

It was a middle aged woman, and I figure the show was probably in Oakland or something, Tool definately did not come to Monterey, unless I missed something big.

As for the right to do things their way... sure, but do they really have to threaten to get them fired? that's such an asshole way of going about things. It's not like they're the fucking olympic pantheon. They're five millionaires making music, they don't have to put down the little guy that's just trying to help...

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 02:22 PM
As for the right to do things their way... sure, but do they really have to threaten to get them fired? that's such an asshole way of going about things. It's not like they're the fucking olympic pantheon. They're five millionaires making music, they don't have to put down the little guy that's just trying to help...

Probably just scare tactics to get them to take it seriously. They're artists, if that's what it takes for them to put on a kick-ass show, then so be it. It's for the crowd more than anything.

P.S. Tool only has four members.

P.P.S She called Maynard the 'organ player', that's hilarious.

Wretchedest
01-20-2012, 02:26 PM
P.S. Tool only has four members.

P.P.S She called Maynard the 'organ player', that's hilarious.

Ha! That makes sense. I love tool and all, but I don't follow they're absolute every move. When she mentioned the Organ player I thought, "I don't remember them having an organ player, but okay." and so I said five, because I thought the organ player was, in fact, the fifth member. I imagined him being an extra reclusive guy that I had just never heard of.

Oh, dear.

theruiner
01-20-2012, 03:41 PM
She added, "And the organ player was having some sort of seizure the whole concert! He was flopping around and acting weird. It was crazy."

By the way, threatening to have the ushers fired (if that is indeed what happened) makes them all blatant assholes. Period. No other way around it. I don't care if they want to make it a "kick-ass show," they're completely in the wrong. It's called being an out of touch millionaire rock star who thinks the world owes them everything. Fuck entitlement.

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 03:53 PM
She added, "And the organ player was having some sort of seizure the whole concert! He was flopping around and acting weird. It was crazy."

By the way, threatening to have the ushers fired (if that is indeed what happened) makes them all blatant assholes. Period. No other way around it. I don't care if they want to make it a "kick-ass show," they're completely in the wrong. It's called being an out of touch millionaire rock star who thinks the world owes them everything. Fuck entitlement.

I'm pretty sure Tool has held that same opinion long before they were millionaires. It's just that now that they're big, they have the authority to command that.

Entitlement? What exactly are they gaining out of doing that, besides a reasonable work space? Who would want to go see Tool if they were just pissed off at the crowd the whole time for being annoying assholes?

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Also, from now on, I will refer to Maynard as Tool's organ player. It works on so many levels.

theruiner
01-20-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm pretty sure Tool has held that same opinion long before they were millionaires. It's just that now that they're big, they have the authority to command that.
Oh, so they were assholes before they were millionaires. But now they have the power (or at least the appearance of it) to fire people who are making ten bucks an hour and they're throwing their weight around to make sure those ten dollar an hour ushers know that they could have them fired. Yeah, nothing wrong with that.

Entitlement? What exactly are they gaining out of doing that, besides a reasonable work space? Who would want to go see Tool if they were just pissed off at the crowd the whole time for being annoying assholes?They feel they're entitled to have the crowd be just how they want it, and if not, then they feel that they can threaten to take people's jobs over it. Maybe, and this is a crazy thought, but maybe they can act like professionals who have been playing music for twenty years, and realize that there are 18,000 people in front of them and no amount of security in the world is going to stop everyone from filming with their camera phones. Because it's the year 2012 and everyone has a camera on their phone and instead of threatening the people they perceive to be far, far below them, they should accept the world we live in now and stop pretending it's 1992 and just focus on putting on a good show. They could have, nicely (I know that's probably a crazy concept for them) had a quick meeting and said, hey everyone, please just try to help us out with the camera phone thing as best you can. When you're nice to people, you'd be surprised how willing they are to help you out, not out of fear but because they actually want to help you. Instead of, you know, abusing your perceived "power" and trying to scare a bunch of people making a fraction of your income because you're a big rock star and you can do that. How you can defend a bunch of rich rock stars acting like assholes to the "regular" people just trying to make an honest living is beyond me.

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Honestly, I'd say a 20+ year old band has more experience dealing with venue jockeys than you do.

But I suppose you have a bit of a point. It is an asshole move. But I'm fine with that, they can be assholes to whoever they want as long as they come out on stage and melt my face. I don't think it's much of a surprise that Tool are pricks.

theruiner
01-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Honestly, I'd say a 20+ year old band has more experience dealing with venue jockeys than you do."Venue jockeys." How nice. Yeah, they have 20 plus years of experience being douchebags. Good for them.

But I suppose you have a bit of a point. It is an asshole move. But I'm fine with that, they can be assholes to whoever they want as long as they come out on stage and melt my face. I don't think it's much of a surprise that Tool are pricks.That would work if: A. they actually put on a good show (as opposed to a mediocre one) and B. being a rock star was more important than being a decent human being. Which it's not.

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 04:07 PM
That would work if: A. they actually put on a good show (as opposed to a mediocre one)

Have your opinions about Tool, sure. But a mediocre show? I'm pretty sure they have a reputation as one of the best live bands for a reason.

B. being a rock star was more important than being a decent human being. Which it's not.

And that's fine with me. I don't care all that much about them, I care about their music. Like I said, be an asshole to whoever you want. Just keep writing music.

theruiner
01-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I never said I was going to stop listening to their music. But that doesn't change the fact that they're assholes. And you're saying, "I'm cool with them being assholes as long as they rock" instead of "I still enjoy their music, but that's no excuse for acting the way they do." That's all I'm saying. You don't get a pass because you put on a good show.

As far as the reputation goes, I don't know about that. I've heard some people say they're great, I've heard others say they weren't that great. From personal experience, I've seen them twice and was pretty underwhelmed. I'm sure I'll end up seeing them again, because at the end of the day they're still my second favorite band, and even a show that isn't quite great is better than not seeing them at all.

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 04:15 PM
What more do you expect out of their live shows?

theruiner
01-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Honestly, I couldn't tell you what the missing element was. With the exception of Maynard, they're all at the top of their game. They don't have much energy, but then that doesn't bother me much. They do have good visuals (even if it seems to be the same damn thing every tour). So I can't really put my finger on what it is, but I can just tell you that it left me underwhelmed both times. *shrug* I'm not saying it was bad, just that I wouldn't put it in the category of "great."

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Fair enough. I'm admittedly a giant fanboy. Maybe it's because I only discovered them a few years ago. Either way, I love that I've been able to see them live twice, and the most recent show has surpassed every other show I've seen, by a long shot. That's NIN, Manson, Puscifer, and APC.

october_midnight
01-20-2012, 04:52 PM
I love Tool, but isn't this kind of like going in to the GnR thread and attempting to tell Dr. Pepper that they're garbage.

Harry, I've been listening to TOOL for 17 fuckin' years. I'm at the age now that if I hear of ANYONE being a prick to ANYONE....they're a prick. And it DOES have an effect on my feeling of their music. I've seen them live 8 times now and the shows now don't even pale in comparison to the older ones. It's not even in the same ballpark. Their shows now are borderline yawnfests.

botley
01-20-2012, 04:52 PM
How about this: you weren't there at the meeting in question, so you don't know what really happened (though apparently neither did this cunt, by the sound of things; "organ player" el oh el) and you're fishing for something else to complain about because you felt disappointed by the show they put on that you paid to see. I've worked part-time as a security guard/usher at Toronto venues for almost ten years. I have seen just about everything the live music industry has to offer from that side of the business, from Yo-Yo Ma to Gwar. If you're not in control of the crowd, or at least making an effort to enforce the rules that the promoter/artist puts in place, you are NOT DOING YOUR JOB. In which case, yes, you should be fired (ie. sent home until the next time a venue/temp company calls you for a shift). And good luck getting another shift if the next thing you do is turn around and write a bitchy letter-to-the-editor about it.

Wretchedest
01-20-2012, 04:59 PM
I love Tool, but isn't this kind of like going in to the GnR thread and attempting to tell Dr. Pepper that they're garbage.

I don't think so.... I actually really like Tool. I'm not their biggest fan, but I think their music is great. I saw that article in a paper that doesn't get any distribution outside of one small street in Monterey County (I think I'm the only one from Monterey on the board...), I thought you guys would find the article kind of amusing, and maybe even insightful...

I DO think they're a bunch of douchebags though, I've thought that before I read this article...

Also I've worked the video end of gigs before. If I was working for a band like Tool, like I have many great bands, I would be pretty excited. Very eager to work with them, but when they are harsh like that it really kills your spirit. I've been lucky to have the big guys be very nice and appreciative of my work, and it gave me more respect for them and it made me want to be better at my job.

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Harry, I've been listening to TOOL for 17 fuckin' years. I'm at the age now that if I hear of ANYONE being a prick to ANYONE....they're a prick. And it DOES have an effect on my feeling of their music. I've seen them live 8 times now and the shows now don't even pale in comparison to the older ones. It's not even in the same ballpark. Their shows now are borderline yawnfests.

I already conceded that they were pricks. If being a prick changes your view of the music, that's your prerogative. Personally, I don't care.

And you've been going to TOOL shows since I was 3 years old. Maybe the new shows are 'yawnfests', but the show last Saturday was one of the best nights of my life. If that is a 'yawnfest', I'd love to be able to see them in 1995. But that's kinda impossible now, eh?

theruiner
01-20-2012, 05:03 PM
How about this: you weren't there at the meeting in question, so you don't know what really happened (though apparently neither did this cunt, by the sound of things; "organ player" el oh el) and you're fishing for something else to complain about because you felt disappointed by the show they put on that you paid to see.How about this: don't make assumptions about my motivations, especially because you are completely and utterly wrong about them.

Secondly, if you'd actually READ what I wrote, you would have seen that I said "if that IS what happened." I never said for sure. But we used that situation, basically hypothetically, to talk about whether or not that type of behavior is ok.

I've worked part-time as a security guard/usher at Toronto venues for almost ten years. I have seen just about everything the live music industry has to offer from that side of the business, from Yo-Yo Ma to Gwar. If you're not in control of the crowd, or at least making an effort to enforce the rules that the promoter/artist puts in place, you are NOT DOING YOUR JOB. In which case, yes, you should be fired (ie. sent home until the next time a venue/temp company calls you for a shift).I think there's something to be said for controlling the crowd, but I also think we're in a very different time than we were 20 years ago. You can't control everybody with a cell phone camera and to me a band coming in and threatening to fire people does sound like them trying to scare people with the power they have. Still sounds to me like they were being pricks (if that is what happened.)

aggroculture
01-20-2012, 05:04 PM
If you work with Tool they will make problems for you, it's how they roll. I've interviewed them twice for magazine articles, and there was a bunch of agonizing wrangling and demands on their part beforehand. The best strategy is to recognize that this is how they work and try to make the best of things. They like to operate a tight ship, and have a hands-on approach: this control-freakery is merely the flipside of their success. Tool has not made the great art they have by delegating decisions to underlings and going with the flow, but by doing things their way. So yes, it's annoying, fascistic at times even, but we probably wouldn't have Tool as they are without the douchery.

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 05:08 PM
If you work with Tool they will make problems for you, it's how they roll. I've interviewed them twice for magazine articles, and there was a bunch of agonizing wrangling and demands on their part beforehand. The best strategy is to recognize that this is how they work and try to make the best of things. They like to operate a tight ship, and have a hands-on approach: this control-freakery is merely the flipside of their success. Tool has not made the great art they have by delegating decisions to underlings and going with the flow, but by doing things their way. So yes, it's annoying, fascistic at times even, but we probably wouldn't have Tool as they are without the douchery.

Where can a guy check these interviews out?

botley
01-20-2012, 05:12 PM
How about this: don't make assumptions about my motivations, especially because you are completely and utterly wrong about them.
Cool your jets, hombre, I didn't assume anything. It was an equally hypothetical statement. There's just a little bit too much overreaction and bandwagon-hopping going on in here.

I think there's something to be said for controlling the crowd, but I also think we're in a very different time than we were 20 years ago. You can't control everybody with a cell phone camera and to me a band coming in and threatening to fire people does sound them trying to scare people with the power they have. Still sounds to me like they were being pricks (if that is what happened.)
Let me tell you a story. It's a true story. It actually happened. I worked as a security guard at the 2006 Tool show in the outdoor Molson Amphitheatre. Throughout the opening band, I was stuck on patrol stationed practically in the parking lot. Totally bummed. I love Tool and would have killed to be stationed inside the venue itself.

Now, the tradeoff with being stationed inside the venue is that (depending on how much the band/promoter are sticklers for protocol) you're not supposed to watch the show because it looks bad for the security guards to be watching the stage instead of the crowd, whom they're being paid to watch. You're not being paid to watch the show.

SOOO, it turns out that Tool are sticklers. Assholes, I have no idea, because I never met them (furthermore it'd be fucking ridiculous for a band of Tool's stature to meet the ushers/security staff at each show let alone personally threaten them). How do I know they're sticklers? Because RIGHT BEFORE they went onstage my supervisor moved me up into the venue. Into the gap between the stage and pit. Right in front of Adam Jones. And my supervisor told me, "if you look up at the stage, if you turn around at all, you're going home."

So I stared at the crowd (and the laser show going on over my head). Better than not getting to hear the show at all.

aggroculture
01-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Where can a guy check these interviews out?

PM. [justifiable paranoia]

JessicaSarahS
01-20-2012, 06:56 PM
I don't understand the strict no camera policies that they have. What is a shitty cellphone picture (or a relatively decent one? :p (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessicasarahs/4792124023/in/set-72157622737627038/)) going to do? Tool shows aren't exactly delicately intricate where any movement will detract from the stage show. It's not the ballet! If there are any subtle complexities, it typically exists in the music instrumentation itself, and a camera will not interfere with that. I wish they'd loosen up their grip on that aspect.

However, I do appreciate that they try to keep the douchebaggery of the audience under control and let people watch without being in fear of bodily harm or not being able to see the show. As a short person, the sitting is appreciated. The last show I went to was the Sacramento show. They let us stand up in the stands/stadium seating, but the floor seating had to sit. Made sense to me.

Frozen Beach
01-20-2012, 09:01 PM
I thought everyone knew that Tool are a group of assholes? Good musicians, but yes, the members can be quite the dicks. One of my friend's friends tried to get Adam's autograph after a show one time, and Adam told him to fuck off. So yeah, they've got problems, but as long as they aren't going around causing insane problems with people, I don't see the big deal.

Also, I'm willing the bet money that the whole "You'll be fired" thing was just a scare tactic to get security to do their best.

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Tonight in Dallas, they switched out Ticks for Sober, and The Pot for Parabol/Parabola.

Lucky fucks.

theruiner
01-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Holy crap! Now THAT I would like to see.

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Entire setlist for Dallas, Jan 20:

Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
Schism (Extended Intro)
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Parabol/Parabola
Aenema

Sounds like a rad time.

theruiner
01-20-2012, 11:42 PM
That setlist is almost perfect. That's just insane.

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 11:43 PM
I wonder what the second night of Dallas has in store.

theruiner
01-20-2012, 11:47 PM
If they play "The Grudge,"* I'm going to kill myself.

*=I know that looks weird, but I figure, if you don't want the setlist spoiled, you probably don't want to know what they haven't played, either, so it'll be a complete surprise. Thus the spoiler tags.

JessicaSarahS
01-20-2012, 11:57 PM

Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
Schism (Extended Intro)
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Parabol/Parabola
Aenema

Sounds like a rad time.

:( So jealous.

theruiner
01-21-2012, 01:21 AM
In contrast to Tool allegedly being dicks, here's a nice video of the guys throwing oranges at fans (they were autographed).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCZqrC34fh8&feature=player_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCZqrC34fh8)

Harry Seaward
01-21-2012, 01:30 AM
Go back a few pages and you'll see my recap of the encounter I had with TOOL on Saturday. Danny, Justin, and Adam were all super cool to us fans. Shook hands, chatted for a bit, and signed posters. Justin took pictures with whoever asked. They're not always that bad.

JessicaSarahS
01-21-2012, 03:29 AM
Go back a few pages and you'll see my recap of the encounter I had with TOOL on Saturday. Danny, Justin, and Adam were all super cool to us fans. Shook hands, chatted for a bit, and signed posters. Justin took pictures with whoever asked. They're not always that bad.

Yeah, Danny, Justin and Adam are usually pretty cool meeting people after shows lately. That was a nice recap, btw! Thanks for sharing. :)

RJK
01-21-2012, 08:33 AM

Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
Schism (Extended Intro)
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Parabol/Parabola
Aenema

Sounds like a rad time.

I wonder if this is a one off setlist change because they are playing Dallas twice or if they gave up on those two songs.

gerbil
01-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Jesus you all need to chill the fuck out.

Kid Charlemagne
01-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Jesus you all need to chill the fuck out.

Awesome first post, bro!

Cool setlist for Dallas last night, almost makes me wish I had taken the time off to go to the shows this weekend. I really wonder how they'll be able to top it again.

Harry Seaward
01-21-2012, 08:54 PM
If they play "The Grudge,"* I'm going to kill myself.

From Fourtheye:

"I heard from a friend in Dallas who knows one of the sound guys (not Junior) that they may very well play The Grudge tonight early on."

I'll shit all over myself, even from half way across the country.

Space Suicide
01-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Are you all that blown away by set changes?

theruiner
01-21-2012, 09:50 PM
^^Yes!

From Fourtheye:

"I heard from a friend in Dallas who knows one of the sound guys (not Junior) that they may very well play The Grudge tonight early on."

I'll shit all over myself, even from half way across the country.
Part of me is bummed out I won't be able to see it, but then I'm also kind of excited. This means that they finally are mixing up the set in a big way, so maybe on the next tour we might actually get "The Grudge" or "Parabol/Parabola". This could mean great things for the tours to come.

Edit: According to setlist.fm, so far it's the standard set they were playing earlier in the tour, with "Ticks and Leeches."

Harry Seaward
01-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Are you all that blown away by set changes?

It wouldn't be a big deal, but after touring for 5-6 years with basically the same set, this is a very, very pleasant surprise.

BenAkenobi
01-22-2012, 01:17 AM
yeah, even though i'm not seeing them play Sober and Parabola myself i'm genuinely glad for those in America. and yeah, i'd be crying if they played a certain song off Lateralus (the one between highly anticipated song and the song many seem to be tired of), even if their organ player is not very capable to produce the sounds like he could back in the day. :)

Harry Seaward
01-22-2012, 02:04 AM
i'd be crying if they played a certain song off Lateralus (the one between highly anticipated song and the song many seem to be tired of),

Are you talking about The Patient?

their organ player

LMAO.

aggroculture
01-22-2012, 04:38 AM
I don't care what they play. With no new material, these are still songs any Tool fan has listened to hundreds if not thousands of times. Sorry.

Harry Seaward
01-22-2012, 04:56 AM
Well I guess that explains why you're not going to their shows.

Thanks for your input, it was very constructive, and certainly wasn't pointless whining.

aggroculture
01-22-2012, 05:05 AM
I've been supporting this band since 1993, have seen them 5 or 6 times since 2006, am totally excited for their next album, but just don't care to see them on this tour or until they have new songs to play or a new album to pimp. Someone asked if we're so obsessed with the setlist, and I said no. Keep your hair on.

theruiner
01-22-2012, 06:11 PM
ha ha ha ha ha!!! (http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/08/4166150/tool-lets-it-happen-saturday-in.html)