View Full Version : Tool

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

armogi
02-22-2018, 03:25 PM
playing 10k days now, it's a damn fine record if you ask me, especially considering the crap that comes out in "mainstream metal" these days...

elevenism
02-22-2018, 03:36 PM
Wow. I guess I thought they played more off of Undertow than I thought back in the day, but looking back over these setlists, at four shows ranging from 96 to 01, they actually only played Crawl Away, Prison Sex and Sober.
Not only did they forget Undertow, they forgot it in a fucking hurry.

Also, as far as good bands who kept making good records, I feel like I'm required to mention that Rush kept making good records for 38 years. Their final album was fairly well reviewed (and fucking great)

gerbil
02-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Wow. I guess I thought they played more off of Undertow than I thought back in the day, but looking back over these setlists, at four shows ranging from 96 to 01, they actually only played Crawl Away, Prison Sex and Sober.

Dude, it’s an angry album full of a lot of screaming and catharsis. Plus they moved on to longer songs that left them less time to slot songs into the set. Not to mention all of those songs were written long before Undertow was ever even recorded. Bands move on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elevenism
02-22-2018, 03:42 PM
Dude, it’s an angry album full of a lot of screaming and catharsis. Plus they moved on to longer songs that left them less time to slot songs into the set. Not to mention all of those songs were written long before Undertow was ever even recorded. Bands move on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWord. I just thought I had seen more of it. Memory is strange.

pulse
02-22-2018, 04:58 PM
They used to perform Flood with regularity earlier in this decade. I recall hearing it on a few tours. One of my favs.

cahernandez
02-22-2018, 09:47 PM

Also, as far as good bands who kept making good records, I feel like I'm required to mention that Rush kept making good records for 38 years. Their final album was fairly well reviewed (and fucking great)

In one of the post 10,000 Days tours they did Intolerance, and I have a bootleg from 2002 (or 01?) where they do 4 Degrees.

virushopper
03-06-2018, 12:47 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf-DyGrnt74/?taken-by=adamjones_tv

the_tic_begins
03-06-2018, 12:58 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf-DyGrnt74/?taken-by=adamjones_tv

Is the video not working for me?
Cause its just half a second of what sounds like "heres"?.
Are Tool fans become that thirsty now there may be a actual album in the next 2 years or so.

Krazy
03-06-2018, 06:02 AM
Is the video not working for me?
Cause its just half a second of what sounds like "heres"?.
Are Tool fans become that thirsty now there may be a actual album in the next 2 years or so.

Its not so much the lame clip, it’s the fact that Adam Jones is confirming they’re in the studio recording (finally). Hence the “day 1” title post.

sonic_discord
03-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Its not so much the lame clip, it’s the fact that Adam Jones is confirming they’re in the studio recording (finally). Hence the “day 1” title post.

I think the fact that he added an emoticon of a CD further confirms this point. I thought he'd said they were recording in April not that long ago. Are things now progressing faster than they'd anticipated? For the first time in a decade, it feels safe to be getting excited about a new Tool album! I doubt they will, but it would be sweet if they busted out one of the new tunes at Northern Invasion in May.

Kodiak33
03-06-2018, 10:44 AM
Probably trying to record some stuff with Maynard there since he said they'd have him for about three weeks. And yeah he did change it from April to March for studio time...

armogi
03-06-2018, 05:39 PM
nobody said maynard was there... could just be music recording, vocals recording would take place later, when the music is done. don't they do it in the same order as the writing?

Kodiak33
03-06-2018, 06:04 PM
nobody said maynard was there... could just be music recording, vocals recording would take place later, when the music is done. don't they do it in the same order as the writing?

Hmm, I thought somewhere Adam commented that they'd have about three weeks with him...oh well.

cahernandez
03-08-2018, 08:22 AM
They are using Joe Barresi again as engineer/mixer! https://www.instagram.com/p/BgDIF0UnFRQ/?taken-by=adamjones_tv

virushopper
03-10-2018, 09:17 PM
https://www.toolband.com/news/451933/tool-recording-news

And off they go.

gerbil
03-10-2018, 09:24 PM
I’m not sure how to feel about all this. It just seems so sudden.

Krazy
03-10-2018, 09:38 PM
I’m not sure how to feel about all this. It just seems so sudden.

This is all happening way too quickly.

Krazy
03-10-2018, 09:40 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/167/129/tumblr_ljkahzoZ671qanb21o1_500.gif

sonic_discord
03-10-2018, 10:02 PM
https://www.toolband.com/news/451933/tool-recording-news

And off they go.

Holy shit, when did they update their website? I checked not too long ago and it was still the same shitty website they'd been using since 1997 or 1998.

gerbil
03-10-2018, 10:30 PM
Holy shit, when did they update their website? I checked not too long ago and it was still the same shitty website they'd been using since 1997 or 1998.

Just a few months ago, I think

Krazy
03-10-2018, 10:46 PM
I think it was about a year ago. Pretty sure the “new” website went up prior to ticket sales for last years US mini tour that took place in June or May or whenever that was.

SM Rollinger
03-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Bummer, i liked that old site.

chuckrh
03-11-2018, 08:49 AM
we should start a pool on what year the new record actually comes out. i'll take 2020.

Mr. Blaileen
03-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Good news, though I'm going to withhold excitement until they release a single or something.

My guess is 2019.

Krazy
03-11-2018, 10:28 AM
we should start a pool on what year the new record actually comes out. i'll take 2020.

http://fourtheye.net/f/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=61

Good news, though I'm going to withhold excitement until they release a single or something.

Anyone else hoping that there’s no new single or music prior to the album? I know it’s usually the way things work- promotion and all- but hearing the album in full will be better IMHO. Take new APC for instance- those singles have already clouded my judgement for something I haven’t even fully heard yet.

botley
03-11-2018, 10:56 AM
They're ahead of where I thought they'd be in my back-of-the-napkin recording and release timeline, so hopefully it is (as Danny said) still on track to come out this year. Either late November, or December 2018. Just over twelve years since the last one.

Here is a list of other artists who have taken more than ten years to follow up an album. It's a long list (https://rateyourmusic.com/list/lastnightadjsavedmylife/your-ears-have-waited-follow-ups-10-years-later/).

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-11-2018, 11:51 AM
Happening too fast, or not at all, I'll take the former and any news at this point! December or January 2019.

Krazy
03-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Here is a list of other artists who have taken more than ten years to follow up an album. It's a long list (https://rateyourmusic.com/list/lastnightadjsavedmylife/your-ears-have-waited-follow-ups-10-years-later/).

One of the things I noticed, and this is just judging from the bands/musicians I’ve heard on that list and quickly browsing, is most went into some type of hiatus. Whether it be turnover within the band or deaths or what not. Tool never did that.

gerbil
03-11-2018, 12:51 PM
One of the things I noticed, and this is just judging from the bands/musicians I’ve heard on that list and quickly browsing, is most went into some type of hiatus. Tool never did that.

Maybe not formally but the band takes a break between every album since Ænima. They’ve also dealt with legal trouble each time. I feel like they took a “break” while dealing with all the lawsuit shit.

Edit: I’d also compare Tool more to Crosby, Stills, and Nash (and/or Young) on that list because the bands were idle but their members were all fairly active.

Krazy
03-11-2018, 01:23 PM
Maybe not formally but the band takes a break between every album since Ænima. They’ve also dealt with legal trouble each time. I feel like they took a “break” while dealing with all the lawsuit shit.

Edit: I’d also compare Tool more to Crosby, Stills, and Nash (and/or Young) on that list because the bands were idle but their members were all fairly active.

Theyve had a mini tour every year though, outside of 2015 when they only had that Halloween date. Just saying they never really went into a confirmed hiding or hiatus.

sonic_discord
03-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Bummer, i liked that old site.

I liked that site too – back in the late '90s and early '00s. But it didn't age well. They were LONG overdue for a site redesign. Plus, it kind of adds to the new album hype! When nin.com gets a site makeover, we know it's time to get hyped about a new album!

Space Suicide
03-11-2018, 06:07 PM
Looks like it's for real this time.

gerbil
03-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Looks like it's for real this time.

This is not a drill.

I repeat, this is not a drill!

Kodiak33
03-11-2018, 08:10 PM
I guess I wasn't too wrong, Maynard is with them.

think i'm a fire engine
03-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Toolband has a link to a crowdfunding page for the Terence McKenna archives. Youtube suggested to me one of his lectures some time ago, and I've been pretty entranced ever since. I've devoured quite a bit of his work. His lectures and books touch on very familiar territory compared to Tool's music and Maynard's lyrics, in areas such as Jungian psychology, psychedelic exploration, mathematics, the history and future direction of the human race, and so on. A quick Google search as I'm typing this tells me I'm definitely not the first person to notice this similarity, but I hadn't ever seen anything officially connecting the band with him before. When I was in High School, I delved somewhat into the various intellectual areas that have informed the band's work, like Timothy Leary, Bill Hicks, Alex Grey, and such, but hadn't come across Terence McKenna.

And maybe I'm like super late getting on the bus on this topic, so I apologize if this seems painfully obvious to other people, but I highly recommend checking some of Terence's work out for those who are interested in that particular aspect of the band. For me, even more than their polyrhythms and extended song structures, the intellectual bent of the band is what sets them so far apart from other alternative metal bands from the 90s-00s.

staleincense
03-15-2018, 04:36 PM
https://twitter.com/bbpoltergiest/status/974390662081667072

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYW7IuJVAAAz9zR.jpg

"Working on the new album with Justin Chancellor"

Amaro
03-15-2018, 05:11 PM
Toolband has a link to a crowdfunding page for the Terence McKenna archives. Youtube suggested to me one of his lectures some time ago, and I've been pretty entranced ever since. I've devoured quite a bit of his work. His lectures and books touch on very familiar territory compared to Tool's music and Maynard's lyrics, in areas such as Jungian psychology, psychedelic exploration, mathematics, the history and future direction of the human race, and so on. A quick Google search as I'm typing this tells me I'm definitely not the first person to notice this similarity, but I hadn't ever seen anything officially connecting the band with him before. When I was in High School, I delved somewhat into the various intellectual areas that have informed the band's work, like Timothy Leary, Bill Hicks, Alex Grey, and such, but hadn't come across Terence McKenna.

And maybe I'm like super late getting on the bus on this topic, so I apologize if this seems painfully obvious to other people, but I highly recommend checking some of Terence's work out for those who are interested in that particular aspect of the band. For me, even more than their polyrhythms and extended song structures, the intellectual bent of the band is what sets them so far apart from other alternative metal bands from the 90s-00s.

I've certainly run across Terence Mckenna's name a lot over the years... Have you a recommendation on what from him to begin with?

Kulerage
03-15-2018, 07:32 PM
https://twitter.com/bbpoltergiest/status/974390662081667072

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYW7IuJVAAAz9zR.jpg

"Working on the new album with Justin Chancellor"
This will be interesting.

Dryalex12
03-15-2018, 10:23 PM
I still cant get over how Justin looked in 2001 to how he looks now.

It's like Jim Root in Slipknot...WALL OF BEARD

Krazy
03-15-2018, 10:53 PM

I definitley didn’t look the same 17 years ago either. :P

::wife takes razor blades away::

And that drum set is polar opposite of Danny’s that was put up a couple days ago. I can’t play either one so I’m not gonna judge.

imail724
03-16-2018, 09:48 AM

Reminds me of Liam Wilson of Dillinger Escape Plan. Went from John Fogerty to Billy Gibbons.

http://vegnews.com/web/uploads/asset/1331/file/Buzz.LiamWilson.LG.jpghttps://media.gettyimages.com/photos/liam-wilson-of-the-dillinger-escape-plan-performs-during-the-2013-picture-id170299522

Krazy
03-16-2018, 11:12 AM
Reminds me of Liam Wilson of Dillinger Escape Plan. Went from John Fogerty to Billy Gibbons.

Ever seepics of Robin Finck in Guns n Roses?...

If not, Google. Can’t tell it’s him with the beard and stuff. Looks like a hobo.

imail724
03-16-2018, 12:04 PM

If not, Google. Can’t tell it’s him with the beard and stuff. Looks like a hobo.
Yes, I remember that pic Trent posted when he first re-joined NIN back in 08? 07 maybe?

TheRealNs1
03-16-2018, 07:53 PM

in other words, like Robin Finck.

gerbil
03-17-2018, 06:01 PM
So, have we seen any indication that Maynard is with them at this point?

virushopper
03-22-2018, 12:43 AM
https://instagram.com/p/BgnNsU9Hr8G/

theSplinter04
03-22-2018, 09:40 AM
I haven't been keeping up with their progress in the last couple years for obvious reasons, so I just want to make sure: Since the release of 10k Days, have they ever entered a "major studio" like right now without anything coming out of it? I don't wanna get my hopes up too early

sonic_discord
03-22-2018, 09:54 AM
I haven't been keeping up with their progress in the last couple years for obvious reasons, so I just want to make sure: Since the release of 10k Days, have they ever entered a "major studio" like right now without anything coming out of it? I don't wanna get my hopes up too early

No. It's really, finally happening this time. New Tool is imminent.

think i'm a fire engine
03-23-2018, 10:08 PM
I've certainly run across Terence Mckenna's name a lot over the years... Have you a recommendation on what from him to begin with?

This is the first lecture I really remember digging into. There's some Alex Grey artwork in the images by whoever put the Youtube video together, but I don't think there is any real direct connection between the images and the lecture beyond the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzNueNguqyg

gerbil
03-23-2018, 10:10 PM
No. It's really, finally happening this time. New Tool is imminent.

Technically they were in the studio doing the “curveball” that we haven’t seen any of. Apparently a re-recorded, studio version of the extended Opiate they’ve been playing live.

october_midnight
04-02-2018, 07:48 PM
https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29573136_1703439163049879_7763931870726039768_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeFxrEQghZ1yDKPGz-fGLxQfjV2_PpxPqsl-16ZZHxhw4183bRU6thw4Ja28341YeO-nUmO8MWJ-w8QZy7TCdmz0C3DnESoHHQhC6VB4qaVq5w&oh=f9452c3759a35b11a4fc3df515d0e1e2&oe=5B2DA2BA

More here. (https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/04/tool-share-new-photos-video-from-inside-the-studio/)

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-02-2018, 08:05 PM
I gotta say, I think it's really cool of Maynard (and the band, of course) to be so transparent about the progress on this record now that it's time to put it together. It really is the best way for them to just cut through the crap to say, "Hey. This is finally happening. Take this journey with us." Much more refreshing than the more-common "6-18 months of silence followed by the announcement" approach.

TheRealNs1
04-02-2018, 08:36 PM
latest round of studio pics is amaaaaazing. Can't be any different than current day NIN though - entire banks of tape. Love it.

cahernandez
04-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Why would those blankets be on the kick drums while Danny is playing them?

october_midnight
04-02-2018, 10:00 PM

Unless I'm out to lunch, I thought it was always to reduce bleed from the other drums or cymbals into the kick mic.

gerbil
04-02-2018, 10:04 PM
I gotta say, I think it's really cool of Maynard (and the band, of course) to be so transparent about the progress on this record now that it's time to put it together. It really is the best way for them to just cut through the crap to say, "Hey. This is finally happening. Take this journey with us." Much more refreshing than the more-common "6-18 months of silence followed by the announcement" approach.

I love it but it’s so uncharacteristic. I have trouble processing it!

Although I remember the band talking about dropping some of the mystique and stepping out of the shadows around 10,000 Days for doing things like putting their photos in the booklet.

Has anyone seen Blair lately?

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-02-2018, 11:46 PM
I love it but it’s so uncharacteristic. I have trouble processing it!

Although I remember the band talking about dropping some of the mystique and stepping out of the shadows around 10,000 Days for doing things like putting their photos in the booklet.

Oh, it's for sure uncharacteristic! I feel like Maynard's also turned a new leaf in a LOT of ways as an artist in the past 10-15 years, and this approach is a good way to drop some of the mystique and keep the hungry fans happy without being in everyone's face with "NOW, THE ROCK N ROLL LEGEND OF A GENERATION, RETUUUURNS" and just completely botching the band's comeback. Keeping shit humble. I like it. Keeps my faith that they want to devote most of their efforts to making something that can speak for itself artistically, and something people will wanna listen to for another 10 years.

Take yer time, gents! We've waited long enough to get here, no sense in rushing now.

Amaro
04-03-2018, 12:08 AM
I’m crying happy tears on the inside.

seasonsinthesky
04-03-2018, 10:14 AM

Unless I'm out to lunch, I thought it was always to reduce bleed from the other drums or cymbals into the kick mic.

Yeah, it's called a kick tunnel. Also helps isolate the non-kick mics from the boomies of the kick, which one often filters out of the other mics anyway.

virushopper
04-09-2018, 12:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/vbuswtA.jpg

Conan The Barbarian
04-09-2018, 12:46 PM
That is really exciting. Only the north though?

virushopper
04-09-2018, 01:04 PM
That is really exciting. Only the north though?
My guess is since they are only doing two festival dates in May, Tool wants to tap that VIP package money while they can.

halo eighteen
04-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Yeah, they're just to space out the two festival shows in Wisconsin and Ohio while APC is out playing other shows too. Maybe they'll add more, but the new album should take priority. I wonder how transparent they will be at these events. $500 is a tough price though.

Kodiak33
04-09-2018, 02:32 PM
I really really want to goto this...

sonic_discord
04-09-2018, 05:03 PM
I'm sure it would be cool and really interesting, but $500?? Fuck that.

TheRealNs1
04-10-2018, 08:59 PM
I'm sure it would be cool and really interesting, but $500?? Fuck that.

seriously though, did anyone expect an event with extremely limited capacity to cost < $200?

gerbil
04-10-2018, 09:02 PM
seriously though, did anyone expect an event with extremely limited capacity to cost < $200?

I’m forced to share this assessment. They’re a fairly high profile band giving a workshop and private performance. That’s actually probably a deal.

sonic_discord
04-10-2018, 09:22 PM
I’m forced to share this assessment. They’re a fairly high profile band giving a workshop and private performance. That’s actually probably a deal.

I don't think there's going to be a "performance" in the usual sense of the word (live music), more like short demonstrations to get a point across in mid-discussion. Don't get me wrong, Tool is one of my favorite bands of all time and if I were wealthy, I wouldn't hesitate to buy myself a ticket, but I'm saving my money for shows that DO include a performance – like Northern Invasion.

gerbil
04-10-2018, 09:23 PM
I don't think there's going to be a "performance" in the usual sense of the word (live music), more like short demonstrations to get a point across in mid-discussion. Don't get me wrong, Tool is one of my favorite bands of all time and if I were wealthy, I wouldn't hesitate to buy myself a ticket, but I'm saving my money for shows that DO include a performance – like Northern Invasion.

Oh, definitely. I guess I shouldn’t have used performance there.

fillow
04-11-2018, 05:19 AM
Played a RockBand with friends last week and I chose to sing Vicarious. I fucking nailed it, in my opinion. Unfortunately, the other guys (on guitar, bass and drums) weren't too familiar with the song and the size 5/4 in general so it turned into a mess. Moral of the story: the more people play with you, the fewer favorite songs you can play.

Amaro
04-11-2018, 02:48 PM
I think $500 is a tad too steep.

Or maybe I’m just jealous I’m not rolling in funds, nor will I be back to Ohio in time.

Dryalex12
04-11-2018, 03:19 PM
Played a RockBand with friends last week and I chose to sing Vicarious. I fucking nailed it, in my opinion. Unfortunately, the other guys (on guitar, bass and drums) weren't too familiar with the song and the size 5/4 in general so it turned into a mess. Morale of the story: the more people play with you, the fewer favorite songs you can play.

Really? the 5/4 fucked them up? compared to Schism or Parabola, Vicarious is pretty much straight 5/4 for most of the song.....but to be fair I also know how to play Rosetta Stoned by heart soooo......

Krazy
04-11-2018, 07:00 PM
I nail the vocals to Vicarious every time I drink too. I’m particularly awesome at the final scream that Maynard can’t do live anymore.

Then I wake up and see the video and go “OOOF!!! Back to bed, that should never have happened, gotta quit drinking man.”

TheRealNs1
04-11-2018, 07:28 PM

You could make the argument that what they're doing is a far more intimate and rare "event", thus worth way more than the typical $100 concert ticket. I dunno, this seems more similar to a paid conference than a paid concert to me.

gerbil
04-11-2018, 07:29 PM
I nail the vocals to Vicarious every time I drink too. I’m particularly awesome at the final scream that Maynard can’t do live anymore.

Then I wake up and see the video and go “OOOF!!! Back to bed, that should never have happened, gotta quit drinking man.”

I can’t nail any of Maynard’s screams but vocally I can hit almost everything except 3 Libras.

barkhammer
04-11-2018, 09:51 PM
I can’t nail any of Maynard’s screams but vocally I can hit almost everything except 3 Libras.

And then you wake up and see the video and go "OOOFF!!"

EndlessLoveless
04-12-2018, 06:53 AM
Adam at this clinic, "well folks, pretty much what I do most of the time is i take this low E string and I turn the tuning knob down so it is a essentially a d string. That's called drop d tuning. It makes it so anything I play is really easy and I can just chug along muted or not, and hit really any note I want (plays jambi) and no matter what it will sound pretty cool. Wheres my $500?"

The only way this would be worth 500 is if they let you go up and sing with the band playing.

Conan The Barbarian
04-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Adam at this clinic, "well folks, pretty much what I do most of the time is i take this low E string and I turn the tuning knob down so it is a essentially a d string. That's called drop d tuning. It makes it so anything I play is really easy and I can just chug along muted or not, and hit really any note I want (plays jambi) and no matter what it will sound pretty cool. Wheres my $500?"

The only way this would be worth 500 is if they let you go up and sing with the band playing.

As a guitar player, I could sit and listen to Adam talk hours about his thought process when it comes to his music. And then listen to Carrey talk about drums.

TheRealNs1
04-12-2018, 01:16 PM
As a guitar player, I could sit and listen to Adam talk hours about his thought process when it comes to his music. And then listen to Carrey talk about drums.

He could probably spend a few weeks covering just tone.

EndlessLoveless
04-12-2018, 03:30 PM

To each their own. I agree about Danny. And I love Tool. I really do. But Adam's "process" is probably a lot simpler than you think. I mean, what do you think he is doing that's so groundbreaking? Tone-wise or songwriting wise?

Conan The Barbarian
04-12-2018, 03:41 PM
To each their own. I agree about Danny. And I love Tool. I really do. But Adam's "process" is probably a lot simpler than you think. I mean, what do you think he is doing that's so groundbreaking? Tone-wise or songwriting wise?

Its kinda like going to a car show. You go to see beautiful cars, learn about cars. Talk cars with other car enthusiasts.

Except, Replace all that shit with guitars, amps, and listening to good guitarist talk about his gear, his custom gear, his influences. How he approaches rhythm and melodies, etc.

Prettybrokenspiral
04-15-2018, 04:18 PM
rofl a Tool creation process clinic now? The jokes just keep writing themselves with this outfit..

Adam: I’d really like to show you the latest stop-motion music video I’ve got an idea for, but the record label won’t give us any more money because 12 years since our last album..

Danny: We usually only feel like playing the same 7 or 8 songs on tour for our fans, so here’s a drum solo I throw out to kill some time..

Justin: These days I just lend my talents to the guys in Death Grips, because even though they’re dysfunctional af, at least they release music on a somewhat regular basis..

Maynard: (via Twitter) My creative process with this band involves watching my grapes ripen, touring with APC, and releasing more albums in four years with Puscifer than Tool has in 25..

gerbil
04-15-2018, 04:28 PM
rofl a Tool creation process clinic now? The jokes just keep writing themselves with this outfit..

Adam: I’d really like to show you the latest stop-motion music video I’ve got an idea for, but the record label won’t give us any more money because 12 years since our last album..

Danny: We usually only feel like playing the same 7 or 8 songs on tour for our fans, so here’s a drum solo I throw out to kill some time..

Justin: These days I just lend my talents to the guys in Death Grips, because even though they’re dysfunctional af, at least they release music on a somewhat regular basis..

Maynard: (via Twitter) My creative process with this band involves watching my grapes ripen, touring with APC, and releasing more albums in four years with Puscifer than Tool has in 25..

Oh my god, come off it already.

EndlessLoveless
04-15-2018, 05:03 PM
Someone who goes needs to ask, how much of the prior meet and greet's money was blown by remaking a song from the early 90s and creating a video for said song that will never see the light of day. Like, just put it on the fucking website already. If it was worth re-doing in the first place, it must be insanely awesome. Let's finally see it.

gerbil
04-15-2018, 05:12 PM
Someone who goes needs to ask, how much of the prior meet and greet's money was blown by remaking a song from the early 90s and creating a video for said song that will never see the light of day. Like, just put it on the fucking website already. If it was worth re-doing in the first place, it must be insanely awesome. Let's finally see it.

If Tool’s contract disallows proceeds from online sales, they may be prohibited from releasing anything independently. Especially because it potentially generates ad revenue the label would insist it’s entitled to.

Maynard tweeted recently that the music will be made available at some point.

Krazy
04-15-2018, 08:08 PM
I don’t not see an issue with them doing it, it’s the absurd amount of money they’re askain’t for admission.

I hope its a poor turn out, for humanity’s sake.

cahernandez
04-16-2018, 09:07 AM
I don’t not see an issue with them doing it, it’s the absurd amount of money they’re askain’t for admission.

I hope its a poor turn out, for humanity’s sake.

I really really doubt that it'll be a poor turn out. It's supply and demand, a basic economics principle. Tool has proven in the past that there are people willing to pay absurds amount of money for their merchandise (see Opiate reissue). At $500 there the amount of people willing to pay for that experience will be less, but there will still be enough to sell out the event. I'm sure they have a good marketing team behind them. I'd like to attend one of those events, but I don't have enough money for something like that. But if they can sell it out at that price point, good for them.

Jinsai
04-16-2018, 11:09 AM
I dunno, if Tool was one of my favorite bands and this was a long and intimate session with an extensive Q&A, I would think it might be worth it.
I'm not a big enough fan though, but hey... yes, it's a lot of money, but I've spent that much money worse.

halo eighteen
04-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Maybe I'm just being naive but I don't think the intention is to sell out any of these venues, some of which are upwards of 2,000 people. A big selling point of these events is getting to mingle with the guys and have a Q+A session. That would be next to impossible with that many people, no? They probably have this limited to a very small amount of tickets.

*edit - that being said, all the events I just checked are still selling tickets... I was on the fence with whether I wanted to cough up the money for this, but if they're actually trying to fill these venues then screw that lol

Kodiak33
04-16-2018, 03:18 PM
The one in Indy had something like 400 seats, so it's not the entire venue.

elevenism
04-23-2018, 02:56 AM
Ok so: I've been thinking about the tool show in Dallas in 98? 99? It was at the fair park music complex. Melvins were opening and it was their first time back at that venue (if not the city) since getting all the shit thrown at them with NIN. they had also been booed opening for Helmet I think. So they played like one song and got booed and walked off stage pissed off. I don't know what it was about Dallas and the Melvins but it was pretty damn funny.

Anyway, they then turned on some type of recording of someone reciting or reading like a text on theistic Satanism or something. People were cheering at first but it seemed like they left it on for at least half an hour, like as long as the Melvins set was supposed to be.
It was pretty fucking interesting: at first people were cheering, but then they started getting uncomfortable and everyone wound up chanting "fuck this shit! Fuck this shit!"

And then Maynard came out dresses as a minister. This made me figure the satanic thing was played at all the shows, but I'm not sure about that and I would also guess that they didn't do it for that LONG at the other shows? It also wouldn't surprise me if this was only done in dallas, like, ha, to get back at us

It made for an interesting social experiment, like, "so you're into evil and such. are you REALLY into it?"

I wonder if anyone remembers much about this tour, and especially if any of you guys were also at that same show.

theimage13
04-23-2018, 07:21 AM
^^ wasn't at that tour at all; just wanted to say thanks for posting something about Tool that was actually interesting. Feel like it's been a good few pages since that's happened ;)

elevenism
04-26-2018, 01:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdREH1BqGDk

i would imagine that most of us have seen this, but i was talking to thelastdisciple earlier and he hadn't seen it.

this was Maynard's band before he started Tool and the song is like a prototype of Sober.

But if you haven't seen it, i feel like i must warn you that you may never see Maynard the same way again ;)

sonic_discord
04-26-2018, 09:59 AM
i would imagine that most of us have seen this, but i was talking to @thelastdisciple (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=199) earlier and he hadn't seen it.

this was Maynard's band before he started Tool and the song is like a prototype of Sober.

But if you haven't seen it, i feel like i must warn you that you may never see Maynard the same way again http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/images/smilies/wink.png

Yep. C.A.D. = Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty. The album was called Fingernails and the Sober prototype was called Burn About Out.

virushopper
04-26-2018, 04:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hT7UQ60qCU

Is this the studio version of "Descending"?

FB link from the band's page: https://www.facebook.com/ToolMusic/videos/1728192380574557/

elevenism
04-26-2018, 11:19 PM
Yep. C.A.D. = Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty. The album was called Fingernails and the Sober prototype was called Burn About Out.what I can't figure out, for the life of me, is how the man's voice changed so damn much in just a few years, like between CAD and Opiate.

Conan The Barbarian
04-27-2018, 09:36 AM

FB link from the band's page: https://www.facebook.com/ToolMusic/videos/1728192380574557/

Some speculate its an awesome rip directly from the soundboard.

armogi
04-27-2018, 10:03 AM
wherever its from, it sounds pretty damn polished and good, the advertising/marketing for this thing is a bit cheesy but this clean version of descending made up for it.

fillow
04-27-2018, 11:39 AM
Didn't listen to a clip yet (on the phone) but I vaguely remember a video on yt where some guy reconstructed Descending with his own playing (so basically a one man cover)

upd: didn't realize the video above is from official page...

TheRealNs1
04-27-2018, 12:18 PM
nothing I haven't heard before but still, sounds amazing and can't wait.

Kodiak33
04-27-2018, 01:22 PM
Definitely soundboard, and definitely the same show that follow was talking about. I think that video was from the visual maker.

elevenism
04-28-2018, 05:33 AM
Whether it winds up on the album or not, Descending give a me high hopes for the new album. It's got that tribal, mystical, almost like "musically representing the nature of consciousness" type of sound that they discovered on Aenima and sort of perfected on Lateralus. After 25 years of being a pretty big fan, I can definitely say that particular aspect of the band is their true genius. I really don't want them to try anything that different or progress, except for possibly sounding "more like themselves" during that time period, if that makes any sense.
The new visuals are also exciting.

scotty79
04-28-2018, 04:03 PM

reminds me of triad for some reason, no doubt gonna be on the new album, there’s no way they’d play this at some shows and put it on an advert for the tool clinic without it being available

Krazy
04-29-2018, 07:21 PM
Just realized with the APC tour going basically through this calendar year, puts the final nail in Tool’s 2018 coffin.

gerbil
04-30-2018, 05:49 PM
Just realized with the APC tour going basically through this calendar year, puts the final nail in Tool’s 2018 coffin.

Could ramp up and release Q4 followed by a tour in Q1.

sonic_discord
04-30-2018, 06:19 PM
They don't have any dates scheduled for August, September, and most of October. Plus, they only need Maynard for recording vocals. I'd say it's still possible, but at the same time, I wouldn't hold my breath. Q4 of this year or Q1 or 2019.

virushopper
04-30-2018, 06:33 PM
They don't have any dates scheduled for August, September, and most of October. Plus, they only need Maynard for recording vocals. I'd say it's still possible, but at the same time, I wouldn't hold my breath. Q4 of this year or Q1 or 2019.
That's during harvest season. I do wonder if Maynard works musically during that time.

armogi
04-30-2018, 11:24 PM
Maybe, just maybe the vocals are done now...

Kodiak33
05-01-2018, 06:54 AM
If he's already got the lyrics and everything written down, I wouldn't think it would take too long to track vocals down.

halo eighteen
05-01-2018, 07:06 AM
They're probably going to want to tour in some capacity surrounding the album's release, so if APC have obligations the rest of the year I really can't see it coming out until early/mid-2019 now, whether all the parts are already recorded or not.

Jord
05-01-2018, 03:47 PM
I wonder what they got done in March when they had Maynard. The APC interviews that are from the last couple of weeks seem to insinuate that Maynard is still waiting for Tool, but I wonder in what capacity?

Piko
05-01-2018, 04:03 PM
Sounds like everything is written and he's waiting for them to finish recording so he can.

gerbil
05-02-2018, 12:30 AM
Wouldn’t surprise me if Maynard recorded in AZ and had Matt Mitchell engineer like he just did with APC.

snaapz
05-03-2018, 07:56 AM
Will Tool accept the facts and reality that "CDs" are a lame media for the majority of their fanbase... Releasing their new album only on CD/Vinyl would be like 'Def Leppard' releasing their new album only on cassette/vinyl.

From what I've read, Tool chooses to stay away from streaming because they "don't want their songs played out of order and all mixed up"; which I never understood because CD players are capable of skipping songs, additionally digital downloads mean I can shuffle discography.

So no matter what format, I can play in what ever order I want. There may be some monetary reasons for staying away from steaming... but APC and Puscifer are on Spotify...

Anyways, I sure hope they get onto Spotify... I simply don't play CDs, Vinyl, or MP3s anymore...

halo eighteen
05-03-2018, 08:05 AM
Tool's presence (or lack thereof) on digital and streaming services is 100% everything to do with their antiquated recording contract. Maybe they'll be able to renegotiate or at the very least, get the new album out in the world the way everyone else is, but yeah. The whole thing is out of their control, as far as I know.

pulse
05-03-2018, 06:57 PM
Imagining them just making a Bandcamp account and selling it with all the artwork included and in a high resolution format.

Leviathant
05-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Releasing their new album only on CD/Vinyl would be like 'Def Leppard' releasing their new album only on cassette/vinyl.

Not coincidentally, a few years ago, Def Leppard started re-recording their major albums in the studio in order to be able to release them digitally, because - you guessed it - terrible record label contracts.

october_midnight
05-04-2018, 10:55 AM
Drum tracking complete.

https://scontent.fcxh3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31949135_1736222609771534_8844910475192827904_o.jp g?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeHQVjwI9GLa4y3UcULEfFsDASKn_KlvQJ9A 3vsgBsr7cbKPMCcqEdnGjMISgVqcYs0feKasjpvryAxs58gtsB 0xVbt-qH7w2oIVA9ts4i1L3w&oh=ebdfad80e4620403900be5d2fc31d5fe&oe=5B5F26C9

gerbil
05-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Not coincidentally, a few years ago, Def Leppard started re-recording their major albums in the studio in order to be able to release them digitally, because - you guessed it - terrible record label contracts.

Everclear also redid theirs and threw on some covers. There were two copies of Autolux’s debut for quite awhile after they got out of their contract. If you bought one, it went to the label. The other went directly to the band.

botley
05-05-2018, 07:25 AM
The drum tracking being (nearly) done is a good sign. They have about six weeks to finish the other instruments before Maynard gets home from APC's tour to do his vocal recording and complete the final mix.

Still hopeful for a pre-Xmas release.

WorzelG
05-05-2018, 08:32 AM
The idea of a recording contract where the band gets no money from digital sales seems such an unconscionable contract i would find it hard to believe any judge not ruling in their favour, have they much time left on this contract? (I remember nin having a seven album contract)

cahernandez
05-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Drum tracking complete.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but why would there be two drum kits in a recording session?

seasonsinthesky
05-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Excuse me for my ignorance, but why would there be two drum kits in a recording session?

I doubt Danny used the other one, which is probably owned by the studio and was just left in the place it normally occupies. I don't see any mics on it, anyway.

Kodiak33
05-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Touring drumset? That's the loft isn't it?

elevenism
05-05-2018, 01:18 PM
Wouldn’t surprise me if Maynard recorded in AZ and had Matt Mitchell engineer like he just did with APC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkman I hope not.
Sending files back and forth is great, but nothing can beat organic chemistry (even with instrumentals that are finished.)
Like I would prefer Maynard to TALK to the rest of the guys in person about what everyone has in mind instead of emailing each other.

"Time to put the silicon obsession down" indeed, Keenan.

Krazy
05-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Seriously. Is this how bands do everything now? No wonder so much music sucks these days (lol).

<—— old man yelling at cloud, fist shaking towards the sky.

Harry Seaward
05-05-2018, 01:53 PM
Here's a David Byrne interview where he explains why long-distance digital collaboration might not be as counterproductive as some might think. Start at 3:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMVuDI__3SY

gerbil
05-05-2018, 04:10 PM
man I hope not.
Sending files back and forth is great, but nothing can beat organic chemistry (even with instrumentals that are finished.)
Like I would prefer Maynard to TALK to the rest of the guys in person about what everyone has in mind instead of emailing each other.

Yeah but that’s like saying no music is pure unless it’s performed completely live acapella. Since technology taints all forms of art.

Technology can inform or distract. There’s a difference between the nonstop thrill ride of modern media and the deliberate, inspiring, informative consumption and creation of music and art.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
05-05-2018, 04:54 PM
man I hope not.

Thats how Mike Patton records all his vocals. He has his own home studio and records his vocals on top of the finished music and sends it to the band. Its how he did the last Faith No More record and Dead Cross and last few Tomahawk albums, etc. I think the last time he was actually in a studio with a band recording must have been at least 15 years ago

EndlessLoveless
05-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Thats how Mike Patton records all his vocals. He has his own home studio and records his vocals on top of the finished music and sends it to the band. Its how he did the last Faith No More record and Dead Cross and last few Tomahawk albums, etc. I think the last time he was actually in a studio with a band recording must have been at least 15 years ago

And I have loved most of those albums, but there is something to be said for doing it together, having that instant communication with the rest of the band which can spark new ideas and paths...which is somewhat lost when traditional rock bands (guitar, drums, bass, vocals) aren't with each other during the creation or recording phase. Something is lost when the vocals/lyrics are literally phoned in, in my opinion. I dont like that tool hasn't written songs together in a long time.

denuir
05-05-2018, 09:34 PM
I’m doubtful we’d be getting a new Tool album if not for this way of working.

elevenism
05-06-2018, 12:03 AM
yeah, i definitely appreciate what you guys are saying.

but everyone being there together, i think, can enhance the music. it can create an organic collective consciousness situation that can't really be achieved in any other way. that's definitely been my personal experience making music.

they damn sure don't have to all be together for ALL of it; don't get me wrong.

But even in that David Byrne interview where he was singing the praises of remote collaboration, he said that he and St Vincent got together for the actual recording.

Let me ask you this: would you guys actually PREFER that maynard never sees the band during the genesis and recording of these new songs? is that what you're saying? if so, i'm certainly not saying that "i'm right and you're wrong." i'm genuinely interested as to why.

BrokenSpiral
05-06-2018, 05:28 AM
If the singer has no actual input in the song writing, this method makes complete sense. If he’s not bringing ideas, melodies, etc, it’d probably be pretty pointless to sit around in the studio and watch people track guitars all day.

Also, it’s kind of a young mans game in a way. Getting into the studio together, grinding out an album in a short time. That just doesn’t make sense for tool. It’s not a quick process (obviously).

If Maynard was bringing something to the table, yeah ideally that would be done WITH the guys rather than long distance. But according to Maynard, that’s just not how they operate. He leaves the music totally to them and they leave the vocals totally to him. So I don’t see it as all that important to be in the same room.

EndlessLoveless
05-06-2018, 12:17 PM
I’m doubtful we’d be getting a new Tool album if not for this way of working.

Absolutely, no question about that. But I think we would have a better final product if they hashed it out like they used to and were way more collaborative. Lately it feels very, "tool, featuring mjk" to me.

Or maybe not, now that I think of it. Might end up with too many dick jokes and a horrible album cover.

Demogorgon
05-06-2018, 02:15 PM
Absolutely, no question about that. But I think we would have a better final product if they hashed it out like they used to and were way more collaborative. Lately it feels very, "tool, featuring mjk" to me.

Or maybe not, now that I think of it. Might end up with too many dick jokes and a horrible album cover.

now that you mention it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P7Isp_QCQ0

theimage13
05-06-2018, 04:13 PM
Addressing multiple posts in one reply:

I couldn't care less how they do it. They're the artists, and they'll do what works best for them. That's their decision. As the audience, it's up to us to decide whether we like the finished product or not - not to dictate how the artist makes it. We aren't commissioning them to write something for us, even though it is our past patronage that has given them the financial means to continue spending non-insiginficant sums on making music. And I'm willing to bet that a lot of people - not everyone, mind you, but a good number - would rather see a new album come out as soon as possible with no regard to how it's recorded vs waiting a few more years for everyone to sit down and record it together in LA or wherever.

Comparing remote recording to instruments tainting the "purity" of a live performance is ridiculous. You're comparing the physical location of people and the spontenaity and chemistry that exists between them, not whether they're holding a damn guitar or not. There are pros and cons to remote work - a pro being that it does force people to be extremely deliberate and thoughtful with their choices, but a con being that sometimes great things happen on acccident when a full band is in one room. I don't think one is inherently worse than the other. They're just different.

And finally: I don't think for a second that there will be a new Tool album released in 2018, and as much as I like the band, I'm fine with that.

Piko
05-06-2018, 04:28 PM
Maynard dismissed the idea of it being a band thing on why they don't have digital formats a little while back. It's on the Puscifer Twitter. More of a label issue.

I don't really but cds anymore. But, Tool would probably be the only time I would tbh. The packaging is usually special and worth getting. 10,000 Days wasn't like any other release. Have yet to see anything like Aenima either.

Harry Seaward
05-06-2018, 05:18 PM
The 10,000 Days and Aenima packaging, while cool, seem pretty dated to me. I think the Lateralus one holds up well in its minimalism, not a bunch of shiny moving bits and holograms and stuff.

Hard pass on Alex Grey for this album though.

aggroculture
05-06-2018, 05:32 PM
to me the 10,000 Days CD looks and feels like a clunky piece of shit
it doesn't fit anywhere with the other CDs, I haven't looked inside the glasses for like 10 years
it feels cheap and tacky and not made right, like it's the wrong shape or it came out wrong
I like the painting, but having been to COSM, I'd already seen it before, so when I saw that was to be the artwork I was disappointed

after the genius and simplicity of all previous Tool album packagings to me the 10,000 Days one is a dud

Harry Seaward
05-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Have any big name artists released an album on a USB drive in hi-def format? That would be way cooler than CD or vinyl. Don't cut it into tracks and just have one huge FLAC file if you don't want people skipping around.

Jon
05-06-2018, 06:24 PM
Have any big name artists released an album on a USB drive in hi-def format? That would be way cooler than CD or vinyl. Don't cut it into tracks and just have one huge FLAC file if you don't want people skipping around.

Please no on the one large file thing. I love live music; I cannot stand being forced to make custom .cue files.

The Beatles, Queen, and Bob Dylan have all had music released on USB drives. There's probably plenty of other examples, but those are cornerstone examples.

Harry Seaward
05-06-2018, 09:11 PM
Please no on the one large file thing. I love live music; I cannot stand being forced to make custom .cue files.

The Beatles, Queen, and Bob Dylan have all had music released on USB drives. There's probably plenty of other examples, but those are cornerstone examples.

Eh, I'd make up tracks first thing as well. I just meant that it seems like an easy concession if artists aren't a big fan of folks listening to their album piecemeal (which I totally understand.)

center27j
05-11-2018, 10:18 AM
is anyone attending the clinic in minn tonight? im debating the chicago date but $500 for a really unknown event has me skeptical. id love some details before i decide to drop that kinda dough.

october_midnight
05-14-2018, 10:24 AM
CoS article about the first clinic. (https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/05/tool-answer-questions-about-new-album-at-music-clinic-event/)

Reddit thread from an attendee. (https://www.reddit.com/r/ToolBand/comments/8j4gpj/music_clinic_qa_megathread/)

Tool confirmed that every song on the album is over 10 minutes in length. The drum portion of the album is fully tracked. Chancellor plans to track the bass parts following Tool’s upcoming festival appearances, to be followed by Jones. Maynard James Keenan’s vocals will be tracked last. They also played fans a new segue featuring Carey “on a modular synth going along with some politically charged vocal sample in the beginning.” The segue, which was in the vein of Tool’s “Merkaba”, will appear on the album, according to Jones.

implanted_microchip
05-14-2018, 12:07 PM
I'm probably in the minority but every song being 10 minutes or more is not appealing to me at all. My biggest complaint with 10,000 Days is that a lot of the material feels like it could benefit heavily from being trimmed down. The synth stuff is interesting though, I've been worried it would be more of the same sound as before and that might broaden the scope a bit.

buckaroo
05-14-2018, 01:07 PM
I'm probably in the minority but every song being 10 minutes or more is not appealing to me at all. My biggest complaint with 10,000 Days is that a lot of the material feels like it could benefit heavily from being trimmed down. The synth stuff is interesting though, I've been worried it would be more of the same sound as before and that might broaden the scope a bit.

I like tool a lot. However, I find their longer songs, including songs split between tracks (e.g. Parabol and Parabola) to be a little boring. Only my opinion. Even the not-so-long songs I really enjoy like Jambi or Lateralus could benefit from some trimming. Some band can really do the long song thing well (Opeth, Dream Theater, Rush) and some are just better off keeping it short (Tool, Iron Maiden).

sonic_discord
05-14-2018, 02:19 PM

I'm thinking it's likely that a few will be split into two more digestible halves, much like Parabol/Parabola, Lost Keys/Rosetta Stone, etc...

Jinsai
05-14-2018, 02:47 PM
I dunno, having long songs is dandy as long as they're good. They're a proggy band, it's about time they went full-on Crimson.

Jord
05-14-2018, 03:20 PM
Bring it on. I don't see them bringing any more records out after this one with how long it's taken, so I welcome an overblown magnum opus if they've got it in them.

Amaro
05-14-2018, 04:44 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180514/cd1e912d2a88d131cd048a20cc2caebe.jpg

heavenly_bearded
05-14-2018, 04:49 PM
I was at Northern Invasion last night. Front row and center. Maynard wore riot gear and said he'd take it off when Danny Justin and Adam finally finish their portions of the tracks so he could keep working.

sonic_discord
05-14-2018, 05:07 PM
I was at Northern Invasion last night. Front row and center. Maynard wore riot gear and said he'd take it off when Danny Justin and Adam finally finish their portions of the tracks so he could keep working.

I was there too! Though not front & center, about half way between the stage and the mixing board on the right side. Awesome show! I had to miss them last year when they came to St. Paul, so seeing that it was almost the same setlist (with the notable exception of Third Eye, which is always a favorite of mine), made me feel a little better about missing the show last summer. I was pleasantly surprised to hear them play Sweat!

gerbil
05-14-2018, 05:16 PM
I was there too! Though not front & center, about half way between the stage and the mixing board on the right side. Awesome show! I had to miss them last year when they came to St. Paul, so seeing that it was almost the same setlist (with the notable exception of Third Eye, which is always a favorite of mine), made me feel a little better about missing the show last summer. I was pleasantly surprised to hear them play Sweat!

Them playing their older material again over the last tour fits with my theory that the re-recorded extended version of Opiate isn’t the only track they intended to re-record and release. Or that they might have actually tracked.

Prove me wrong, boys.

Krazy
05-14-2018, 05:57 PM
One can get “cheap” tickets to these clinics on StubHub looks like. Just gotta wait the day of, Chicago is at $250 right now plus whatever percentage they tack on. Crowds for these are probably smaller than they expected.

Im also not looking forward to to an album full of 10+ minute songs. Third Eye is fucking great, but like others said many of their songs can be trimmed. My favorite version of Parabola live was when there was no Parabol intro. Didn’t kill the vibe of the crowd.

And FFS I really hope we didn’t wait all this time for a “politically charged” album. They’re better than that (I hope).

gerbil
05-14-2018, 05:58 PM
One can get “cheap” tickets to these clinics on StubHub looks like. Just gotta wait the day of, Chicago is at $250 right now plus whatever percentage they tack on. Crowds for these are probably smaller than they expected.

Im also not looking forward to to an album full of 10+ minute songs. Third Eye is fucking great, but like others said many of their songs can be trimmed. My favorite version of Parabola live was when there was no Parabol intro. Didn’t kill the vibe of the crowd.

And FFS I really hope we didn’t wait all this time for a “politically charged” album. They’re better than that (I hope).

I hate to spoil this for you but Tool has always been politically and socially charged.

gerbil
05-14-2018, 05:59 PM
The only reason I wouldn’t like 10+ minute long songs nowadays is because my drive to work is only 10 minutes now and I can barely squeeze in Jambi as it is.

Krazy
05-14-2018, 06:01 PM
I hate to spoil this for you but Tool has always been politically and socially charged.

im specifically talking about some anti-Trump thing. And sorry, but Tool isn’t exactly Rage Against The Machine, nor do they have an eMotive type of album.

gerbil
05-14-2018, 06:08 PM
im specifically talking about some anti-Trump thing. And sorry, but Tool isn’t exactly Rage Against The Machine, nor do they have an eMotive type of album.

I wouldn’t really want Maynard shouting “fuck Trump!” But I wouldn’t mind a Year Zero-style album that’s hugely political but not necessarily partisan.

Even with Eat The Elephant and eMOTIVe, APC was careful about keeping the music about commentary society at large and political movements generally.

I mean, yeah, Trent put up pictures of John McCain’s face superimposed on George W. Bush’s at live shows, Maynard told people to get out and vote Bush out of office at APC shows in 2004, and Puscifer had Trump as Godzilla in a video. But art is always a reflection of the time it was created.

Some of our greatest music, artwork, and literature is a reflection on politics and society at large without necessarily loudly shouting “fuck Ronald Reagan in the face.”

Krazy
05-14-2018, 06:19 PM
I wouldn’t really want Maynard shouting “fuck Trump!” But I wouldn’t mind a Year Zero-style album that’s hugely political but not necessarily partisan.

Even with Eat The Elephant and eMOTIVe, APC was careful about keeping the music about commentary society at large and political movements generally.

I mean, yeah, Trent put up pictures of John McCain’s face superimposed on George W. Bush’s at live shows, Maynard told people to get out and vote Bush out of office at APC shows in 2004, and Puscifer had Trump as Godzilla in a video. But art is always a reflection of the time it was created.

Some of our greatest music, artwork, and literature is a reflection on politics and society at large without necessarily loudly shouting “fuck Ronald Reagan in the face.”

OK, so they’ve never really had a politically charged album (or many songs really)- and here’s hoping they don’t hop on that bandwagon. Maynard also, in shows last year, said to not worry about Trump so much and look at ones self- world has bigger problems than just the recent POTUS (or some dumb shit along those lines).

Jeezus tap dancing Kriste dude.

Krazy
05-14-2018, 06:36 PM
Back on track here...

if theres any fans fans in the Colombus area, keep an eye on StubHub. They have 44 tickets and the clinic isn’t sold out. Could get a great experience for cheap.

Frozen Beach
05-14-2018, 09:55 PM
Considering how long the wait has been, let there be long tracks. I also wouldn't mind if it was a double album, especially considering that my gut tells me that this will be the last Tool album since it took so long to make.

think i'm a fire engine
05-16-2018, 10:54 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. Tool's music never really had to say "fuck this or that politician in particular," but if one understands the much larger intellectual context that informed Tool's music, especially songs like Opiate, Eulogy, Aenema, Third Eye, or even The Pot then I don't see how one could miss the ardently subversive and socially charged themes of Tool's music. I hate the term "politics" for this type of discussion because it conjures up notions of the modern political media charade comparing what Barack Obama said in the debate verses what John McCain said, and then how well it was received by talking heads on Fox News, CNN, or how well it scored in a Gallup poll, or if it had enough one liners to get shares on social media . . . . or whoever or whatever example of this kind of crap you want to focus on.

But if you're at all familiar with Karl Marx, or Timothy Leary, or Bill Hicks, or throughout threads in Carl Jung's work, or more directly with the influences that psychedelic drug taking has on cultural values, I don't see how one can really escape the conclusion that Tool's music has some pretty profound political implications that go way way way beyond deciding whether to vote Republican or Democrat.

implanted_microchip
05-16-2018, 11:06 AM
I’ve always enjoyed that MJK’s lyrics apply broadly and never become about specific names or time periods for the most part, it’s a big reason why I think their work still resonates lyrically. Being informed by the world around you in your art and making art explicitly about the world around you are different things to me.

Maximilian
05-16-2018, 11:37 AM
Maynard called out the fellas in front of a crowd, haha

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tool-singer-begs-bandmates-to-finish-recording-their-parts-for-new-album/

sonic_discord
05-16-2018, 11:56 AM
Maynard called out the fellas in front of a crowd, haha

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tool-singer-begs-bandmates-to-finish-recording-their-parts-for-new-album/

I was there. He just asked them to finish their part so he could finish his and "take this fucking riot gear off."

october_midnight
05-16-2018, 01:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=227&amp;v=BQ6IZrcNfwM

The show print at the very start of the video is unbelievably hot.

sonic_discord
05-16-2018, 02:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=227&amp;v=BQ6IZrcNfwM

The show print at the very start of the video is unbelievably hot.

I got a copy of that poster (#100/680), but I got the unsigned $30 one. I couldn't bring myself to throw down $175 for a signed one no matter how badly I wanted it.

theimage13
05-17-2018, 07:43 AM
Back on track here...

if theres any fans fans in the Colombus area, keep an eye on StubHub. They have 44 tickets and the clinic isn’t sold out. Could get a great experience for cheap.

They were all still $619 yesterday, and today there are "0 tickets available".

Krazy
05-17-2018, 11:11 AM
They were all still $619 yesterday, and today there are "0 tickets available".

Haha!! Yeah, I saw last night that there were like 4 left. Maybe they sold them on CL for slightly under face, or someone there is doing some shady shit and has the ability to be refunded. No way they sold them for that money if tickets are still available.

theimage13
05-17-2018, 11:15 AM
Haha!! Yeah, I saw last night that there were like 4 left. Maybe they sold them on CL for slightly under face, or someone there is doing some shady shit and has the ability to be refunded. No way they sold them for that money if tickets are still available.

Yeah, I was surprised to see that. I'm sure there was shadiness involved one way or another, because you're right, there's no way in hell that 40+ tickets suddenly sold for hundreds over face value to an event that wasn't even sold out.

Kodiak33
05-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Indy had a couple of tickets that were $250 the day of...I should've done it.

botley
05-25-2018, 10:19 PM
Spotted Danny & Justin hanging out with Tim Motzer (experimental guitarist in the Fripp mode) and Julie Slick (bassist from Echotest, Adrian Belew Power Trio/Crimson ProjeKct) in this selfie on Facebook (https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156364079756798&id=543231797&set=a.10150345090961798.393968.543231797). Can I get Justin to spin at my parties while we wait for Adam to get his parts done?

think i'm a fire engine
05-29-2018, 04:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVoWPLCxjv4

This video claims that there will be a Terence McKenna sample for an interlude with Danny doing a drum solo over it. I can't quite tell what source it's getting that idea from though. Or how true it might be. Anyone else have anything more on that?

Harry Seaward
05-29-2018, 04:25 PM
Terence McKenna

ugh.

botley
05-30-2018, 01:51 PM
ugh.
Okay, I'll bite. What's your beef?

Krazy
05-30-2018, 03:52 PM
Okay, I'll bite. What's your beef?

I'm gonna play "Guess Harry Seaward's beef!?"... (I know, that doesn't sound right lol)

Too similar and/or sick of the Tim O'Leary stuff and Bill Hicks and "expanding ones' mind" a la Third Eye?

I could be totally off though...

EndlessLoveless
05-31-2018, 02:25 PM
I'd rather it not be an actual track. I like the live third eye sample. But the last track on lateralus does not get much play from me, unless listening to the album in full. Give me an earworm instead. It was cool with aenima but fuck, if that news is real then they are becoming way predictable. By the time descending and the segue songs are over we will be left with like, 4 new songs. Does anyone ever seek out vigniti trees?? My guess is not. I like noise but VT is not compelling to me in the least.

I just picked up opiate on vinyl. Sweat is one of their best songs. It's almost like apc's judith pt.1 to me, the way he sings the verses.

virushopper
06-12-2018, 02:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&amp;v=sqAiTxlz9gU

ManBurning
06-12-2018, 04:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&amp;v=sqAiTxlz9gU

I came to post this. Someone always beats me! lol.

gerbil
06-12-2018, 04:15 PM
Does he actually say “Tool”?

ManBurning
06-12-2018, 04:19 PM
Does he actually say “Tool”?

Nah, he just says "A lot of work has been done, I'm going to go on record and say new music next year" but... c'mon, we all know he's talking about TOOL.
There's going to be a new TOOL album dropping in 2019 whether you guys like it or not.

october_midnight
06-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Remember, this could mean like, December 2019.

fillow
06-12-2018, 04:52 PM
LOL, I can pretty much guarantee a new Puscifer album or EP in spring '19.

TheRealNs1
06-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Tapeworm lives.

ManBurning
06-12-2018, 05:13 PM
Remember, this could mean like, December 2019.

Kinda like when Trent said "new music next year" in 2015 and then all of 2016 came and went until like the last 2 weeks and people were getting agitated and then he delivered... at the end of the year, haha.

A bunch of bands played "guess when the new TOOL album" will be released in 2019 the other day.
I wonder who guessed right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzkGT-jz6JU

thevoid99
06-12-2018, 05:31 PM
I think it will be a new Puscifer album.

sonic_discord
06-12-2018, 05:39 PM

I think he knows better, but that would be kinda funny. He's well aware that most people (wrongly) think Puscifer (and APC, to a lesser extent) is to blame for the delay on the new Tool album.

ManBurning
06-12-2018, 06:00 PM
I think we'll get both. Unless there will be a surprise Puscifer record that comes out this fall, but that might be asking for too much considering his tour schedule this year with APC. He did make a tweet earlier this year that new Puscifer was in the works. I'm guessing we'll get both. 1 will drop in Q2 and the other will drop in Q4. That's my prediction.

theimage13
06-12-2018, 06:03 PM

I'd prefer it to be a new Puscifer album. It's HIS band, vs Tool, which he just kinda writes words / sings for. I've come to find I enjoy his creative output more than Adam's. I'm sure that's a blasphemous thing to say in this thread, but so be it.

NotoriousTIMP
06-27-2018, 11:06 AM
Maynard James Keenan accused of raping 17 y/o during the Fragility Tour (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/tools_maynard_james_keenan_accused_of_raping_a_17-year-old_girl_in_2000.html)

Ugh...this really bums me out if this turns out to be true.

ltrandazzo
06-27-2018, 11:12 AM
Maynard James Keenan accused of raping 17 y/o during the Fragility Tour (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/tools_maynard_james_keenan_accused_of_raping_a_17-year-old_girl_in_2000.html)

Ugh...this really bums me out if this turns out to be true.

Over here please - http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4727-Sexual-Asshatery-in-the-News

Wade123
07-17-2018, 10:30 PM
Anyone catch/record Adam’s live Instagram today? Could have sworn I heard Maynard in the background talking about recording. It’s gone now though...

sinspots
07-20-2018, 12:04 AM
So, this year I discovered Puscifer, after many years of not caring for Tool (though I never spent much time listening to them). Tool would always pop up in Pandora, etc. on NIN radio -- would irritate me as I never saw it as anything similar to NIN at all. Anyhow, so now I am obsessed with a song (thanks Amazon Prime NIN radio? I guess their algorithm is quite a bit better than Pandora of years ago), and I'm moving into other songs (they are very unique and interesting and I really am enjoying what Carina Round adds), and watching interviews with MJK (he's quite interesting). I listen to a lot of music but most pretty casually. I have very few bands/artists that I follow intensely--NIN being the top with nothing else close. Anyways, the last time I got sucked into a song this much was SICNH back in 2007, and now here I am first (or fourth or maybe tenth) in line at multiple GA concerts, travelling around the country, multiple setlists on my wall, spending way too much on merch, etc. (I guess I tend to get just a tiny bit obsessive...). I don't have time or money to get into another band like that. So, I think I need to just stop listening to Puscifer/MJK? Though it seems he certainly doesn't have the stage presence that I desire, so maybe it's fine.

sonic_discord
07-20-2018, 02:53 AM
Anyhow, so now I am obsessed with a song (thanks Amazon Prime NIN radio? I guess their algorithm is quite a bit better than Pandora of years ago), and I'm moving into other songs (they are very unique and interesting and I really am enjoying what Carina Round adds), and watching interviews with MJK (he's quite interesting).

Out of curiosity, what's the song that hooked you? What are the other songs you like? When "Rev 22:20" came out, I was pretty obsessed with that song. I liked The Undertaker a lot, but "V" is for Vagina initially confused me and I wasn't sure I liked it at first – except for "Momma Sed," which immediately and easily stood out to me as best song of the album. I consider "C" Is for (Please Insert Sophomoric Genitalia Reference Here) and Money Shot to be their best material. Overall, I think they're pretty underrated, especially among Tool fans who only view the band as an obstacle that's blocking or delaying the next Tool album.

Jaimie
07-21-2018, 12:05 PM
So, this year I discovered Puscifer, after many years of not caring for Tool (though I never spent much time listening to them). Tool would always pop up in Pandora, etc. on NIN radio -- would irritate me as I never saw it as anything similar to NIN at all. Anyhow, so now I am obsessed with a song (thanks Amazon Prime NIN radio? I guess their algorithm is quite a bit better than Pandora of years ago), and I'm moving into other songs (they are very unique and interesting and I really am enjoying what Carina Round adds), and watching interviews with MJK (he's quite interesting). I listen to a lot of music but most pretty casually. I have very few bands/artists that I follow intensely--NIN being the top with nothing else close. Anyways, the last time I got sucked into a song this much was SICNH back in 2007, and now here I am first (or fourth or maybe tenth) in line at multiple GA concerts, travelling around the country, multiple setlists on my wall, spending way too much on merch, etc. (I guess I tend to get just a tiny bit obsessive...). I don't have time or money to get into another band like that. So, I think I need to just stop listening to Puscifer/MJK? Though it seems he certainly doesn't have the stage presence that I desire, so maybe it's fine.

Check out Carina's solo material if you haven't. If you're enjoying her contributions to Puscifer there's a good chance you will enjoy her solo material as well.

gerbil
07-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Check out Carina's solo material if you haven't. If you're enjoying her contributions to Puscifer there's a good chance you will enjoy her solo material as well.

I would add that it’s wise to sample it all because her work is incredibly varied.

sinspots
07-22-2018, 02:08 AM
Out of curiosity, what's the song that hooked you? What are the other songs you like?

The song that hooked me was the Humbling River. Next I listened to the Remedy like an insane amount of times (I tend to focus on a song over and over until I feel I know it so intimately.... Does my spouse ever hate that...). Now I'm into Momma Said, Horizons, and Indigo Children (totally hypnotic and strange and so addicting).

When I first got into the Humbling River, I was thinking it was so weird because I wouldn't have imagined MJK was religious. So I googled just that. I was led to Rev 22:20, and I thought how bizarre that they are so polar opposites... So I had to learn more. This week I've been focusing on Money Shot. Next, I think I'm going to "C" Is for (Please Insert Sophomoric Genitalia Reference Here). I tend to focus on a small group of songs for a while before the next.

I really want that limited edition hoodie (the cold shoulder one) on the website but damn I feel too old for that. :(

Edit: Falling asleep with Remedy still on repeat. My favorite part has changed a few times. Now it's when he starts into "You speak like someone...."

sinspots
07-22-2018, 02:27 AM

On my to-do list, thank you!

Harry Seaward
07-22-2018, 03:20 AM
The song that hooked me was the Humbling River. Next I listened to the Remedy like an insane amount of times (I tend to focus on a song over and over until I feel I know it so intimately.... Does my spouse ever hate that...). Now I'm into Momma Said, Horizons, and Indigo Children (totally hypnotic and strange and so addicting).

Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ZEHlx5itU

When I first got into the Humbling River, I was thinking it was so weird because I wouldn't have imagined MJK was religious. So I googled just that. I was led to Rev 22:20, and I thought how bizarre that they are so polar opposites... So I had to learn more. This week I've been focusing on Money Shot. Next, I think I'm going to "C" Is for (Please Insert Sophomoric Genitalia Reference Here). I tend to focus on a small group of songs for a while before the next.

'Religious' is a... weird way to interpret a song from an EP with a title referencing another vagina and has Jesus making a poop joke on the cover. I feel like you might be putting something into that song that isn't there.

Anywho, here are some more cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPaBW5Vy_T0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPHSmVAJ7lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Re0cXJkb0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNxgABTpzKg

theimage13
07-22-2018, 03:24 AM

Welcome to Puscifer - they have their own thread, you know ;)

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/53-Puscifer?highlight=puscifer

As someone who could technically be considered a Tool "OG", I actually kind of prefer Puscifer these days. Comparing recent touring setlists and overall productions, I'd actually go see Puscifer over Tool these days (and yes, I've seen them both already). Which version of Momma Sed did you get hooked on? I liked the album version when it came out, but the live version on the EP is just in a whole other league.

elevenism
07-22-2018, 06:31 AM
Welcome to Puscifer - they have their own t
As someone who could technically be considered a Tool "OG"

Short story long,
Wow. So you're...OGT. And that means you're special. :p

Dumb jokes aside, i, too, have been a fan since damn near the beginning: I received the Opiate cassette for my 13th birthday in spring of 93.
Getting that cassette was kind of a fluke you know? It came from a nerdy friend who was utterly fanatical about keeping up with underground rock acts: specifically punk acts. I didn't usually pay much attention to the tapes he gave me (which he usually copied himself) because punk rock has just never been my thing.
This one, however, I gave a chance, because a.)my friend didn't copy it; rather, he paid money for it, b.)he kept saying it wasn't traditional punk and c.) He would NOT shut up about it!
And sweet serendipity, I was hooked. 26 years later I'm still a huge fan, and aside from initially being taken aback by the stylistic changes between Undertow and Aenima (which I didn't give a proper chance for some months,) I've dove into and loved every Tool release.

Then Mer de Noms came out and I had THAT shit on repeat for months, quite literally. I like/liked APC MORE than tool I think.

And then there was Puscifer. (I'm reaching the actual, real POINT of this mania fueled nonsense.)
Somehow I managed to sort of "miss" Puscifer . They were releasing music and all the name meant to ME was that it was a reference to a bit on Mr Show. And by the time I had access to the music, there was enough Puscifer stuff to overwhelm me a little: the thing seemed almost like a movement I wasn't part of.

So, @theimage13 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=809)

Here, finally, are my questions: where should i start with Puscifer? With what mindset should I approach it? How does it compare with Tool and A Perfect Circus? How would you describe the tone of it? Generally, would someone who utterly adores Tool and APC enjoy Puscifer?

Edit: I'm sorry for clogging the thread with talk of a band that isn't tool, but I wanted opinions on said tool RELATED band from TOOL fans as opposed to Puscifer faithful. I hope that's ok, at least for a few posts.)

theimage13
07-22-2018, 10:17 AM
I'll skip the whole history of my getting into them and just share what tracks I'd suggest starting with as kind of a primer for Tool / APC fans.

Momma Sed (album version first, though I prefer the EP version)
Rev 22:20 (there is something seriously haunting about this song to me)
The Mission
Potions
Humbling River (probably the "best" of these five)

That's a primer for pre-2010 Puscifer. Once you're getting into those, I would honestly just listen to Conditions of My Parole straight through (though if I had to pick favorites from that one: Green Valley, Man Overboard, Toma, The Rapture, Conditions, and Tumbleweed). Then you've got two original tracks - Breathe and Dear Brother - from the Donkey Punch EP. Both solid and underrated, in my opinion.

Which brings us to now(ish) with Money Shot. Virtually the only song I'm not a huge fan of is the title track. I'll admit that some songs were more "growers" than "showers" on first listen, but that changed pretty fast for me. To me, songs that might stick out for you: Money Shot, The Arsonist, and The Remedy. Personal favorites though are Agostina, Grand Canyon (though not the first time around), Smoke and Mirrors, and Autumn (the last two of which they closed the show with the first time I saw them, and I left the theater with chills).

As far as a mindset goes: don't try that approach. Each album tends to be written with a certain theme in mind, and he changes the tour production drastically to match. If you try to get into a mindset, it may clash with the music and make you dislike it without giving it a fair shot. I wish, wish, wish that I could have seen the Conditions tour - thankfully, the What Is... recording exists. HIGHLY recommended viewing. Then Money Shot came out, and the whole thing was lucha libre themed - not my style per se, but the music was just so fucking good live (they played literally the entire new album, among other songs). To me, it seemed as though Maynard was much more interested in performing then than he did with Tool, and for good reason - it's HIS band; he's the creative director. In Tool, he's basically the singer in Adam's band.

So yeah, I'd forgo any specific mindset and just try out the tracks I mentioned, or maybe even get a copy of What Is... and watch it.

gerbil
07-22-2018, 10:20 AM
I'll skip the whole history of my getting into them and just share what tracks I'd suggest starting with as kind of a primer for Tool / APC fans.

Momma Sed (album version first, though I prefer the EP version)
Rev 22:20 (there is something seriously haunting about this song to me)
The Mission
Potions
Humbling River (probably the "best" of these five)

That's a primer for pre-2010 Puscifer. Once you're getting into those, I would honestly just listen to Conditions of My Parole straight through (though if I had to pick favorites from that one: Green Valley, Man Overboard, Toma, The Rapture, Conditions, and Tumbleweed). Then you've got two original tracks - Breathe and Dear Brother - from the Donkey Punch EP. Both solid and underrated, in my opinion.

Which brings us to now(ish) with Money Shot. Virtually the only song I'm not a huge fan of is the title track. I'll admit that some songs were more "growers" than "showers" on first listen, but that changed pretty fast for me. To me, songs that might stick out for you: Money Shot, The Arsonist, and The Remedy. Personal favorites though are Agostina, Grand Canyon (though not the first time around), Smoke and Mirrors, and Autumn (the last two of which they closed the show with the first time I saw them, and I left the theater with chills).

As far as a mindset goes: don't try that approach. Each album tends to be written with a certain theme in mind, and he changes the tour production drastically to match. If you try to get into a mindset, it may clash with the music and make you dislike it without giving it a fair shot. I wish, wish, wish that I could have seen the Conditions tour - thankfully, the What Is... recording exists. HIGHLY recommended viewing. Then Money Shot came out, and the whole thing was lucha libre themed - not my style per se, but the music was just so fucking good live (they played literally the entire new album, among other songs). To me, it seemed as though Maynard was much more interested in performing then than he did with Tool, and for good reason - it's HIS band; he's the creative director. In Tool, he's basically the singer in Adam's band.

So yeah, I'd forgo any specific mindset and just try out the tracks I mentioned, or maybe even get a copy of What Is... and watch it.

Seeing Money Shot live really put the track into context for me. It’s much more powerful with that driving bass and pulsing vocal back and forth.

Tyson
07-22-2018, 10:29 AM
A couple of extra helpful Puscifer suggestions: When you get to the Money Shot album, be sure to listen to both the CD and vinyl versions of Simultaneous. Both are good, but I prefer the vinyl version. Also, he sings about some pretty deep things with some serious emotion, but he's not averse to dropping a juvenile, tongue in cheek limerick right smack in the middle of a song. The humor is a very important part of Puscifer. I think the message here is, enjoy the songs and think deeply about them, but don't get so serious you forget to have fun.

theimage13
07-22-2018, 10:41 AM
A couple of extra helpful Puscifer suggestions: When you get to the Money Shot album, be sure to listen to both the CD and vinyl versions of Simultaneous. Both are good, but I prefer the vinyl version. Also, he sings about some pretty deep things with some serious emotion, but he's not averse to dropping a juvenile, tongue in cheek limerick right smack in the middle of a song. The humor is a very important part of Puscifer. I think the message here is, enjoy the songs and think deeply about them, but don't get so serious you forget to have fun.

Yup - very good point. Puscifer is part thoughtful and inspired poetry, and part dick jokes. And it's amazing how well he blends them.

botley
07-22-2018, 11:49 AM
A couple of extra helpful Puscifer suggestions: When you get to the Money Shot album, be sure to listen to both the CD and vinyl versions of Simultaneous. Both are good, but I prefer the vinyl version.
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try finding that version of the album. Couldn't even get through the digital release on Tidal, the production sounded so over-cooked and like it had EVERYTHING TURNED UP LOUD everywhere. The new APC album also didn't wow me in the sound-quality regard either, but maybe its vinyl pressing is better too. It's hard to predict how much care they actually put into the mastering of sound with those projects, these days. I know Adam Jones is attempting to remaster the Tool catalogue for the LP format while they work on the new album. Or so he claims, when he's been online.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
07-22-2018, 03:15 PM
I first got into Puscifer from being a Tool fanboy when I was about 16 or 17, along with APC so that got me instantly intrigued. When they posted Rev 22:20 on MySpace I belive?? I fell in love. Not only for the sexy ass/haunting feeling it gave me, but Milla Jovovich's addition made me love it even more. The Mission I absolutely adore, and The Undertaker remix had me hooked as well.

sinspots
07-23-2018, 01:40 AM
Welcome to Puscifer - they have their own thread, you know ;)

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/53-Puscifer?highlight=puscifer

As someone who could technically be considered a Tool "OG", I actually kind of prefer Puscifer these days. Comparing recent touring setlists and overall productions, I'd actually go see Puscifer over Tool these days (and yes, I've seen them both already). Which version of Momma Sed did you get hooked on? I liked the album version when it came out, but the live version on the EP is just in a whole other league.

Thanks! I did not know about the separate thread. Sorry for clogging this one up! Album version of Momma Sed for now, will head to the live EP version next, thanks for the suggestion!

'Religious' is a... weird way to interpret a song from an EP with a title referencing another vagina and has Jesus making a poop joke on the cover. I feel like you might be putting something into that song that isn't there.

Thanks for the additional links/suggestions! On the religion thing, when I "discovered" Humbling River, I had the religious impression on the first listen before I saw the name of the album (sometimes it's nice to me to just lay down, relax, close my eyes and listen to what the radio list pumps out - related info doesn't get in to "taint" it).

I'll make sure to check out the vinyl version of Simultaneous this week. Thanks for the tip about the humor. I do have a tendency to get too serious about things, so I'll try to keep that in mind!

sinspots
08-14-2018, 01:27 AM
Hi all, new to MJK (see my post above). So I was reading up about Tool and came across info on The Joyful Guide to Lachrymology, by Ronald Vincent, 1948, which was apparently a fake book that Tool pointed to as inspiration years ago. Pretty amusing, so I google it to read a little more. And, I find a book released on Amazon in June 2018 by that name, different author: https://www.amazon.com/Joyful-Guide-Lachrymology-Peter-Barnes/dp/1721848525 (for $19.95). I find his gofundme page, discussing his "religion", https://www.gofundme.com/lachrymology, and the website for his "church", of course taking donations, https://www.lachrymology.org/. The book is apparently accessible with Kindle Unlimited but I don't have that or I would take a peek. Sure, I've even joked before about creating a Church of NIN, but doesn't it seem a bit excessive of a fan to try to sell a book by that name and take donations for a "church" based on that Tool history (of course there may not have been any actual book sales or donations)?

liquidcalm
08-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Hi all, new to MJK (see my post above). So I was reading up about Tool and came across info on The Joyful Guide to Lachrymology, by Ronald Vincent, 1948, which was apparently a fake book that Tool pointed to as inspiration years ago. Pretty amusing, so I google it to read a little more. And, I find a book released on Amazon in June 2018 by that name, different author: https://www.amazon.com/Joyful-Guide-Lachrymology-Peter-Barnes/dp/1721848525 (for $19.95). I find his gofundme page, discussing his "religion", https://www.gofundme.com/lachrymology, and the website for his "church", of course taking donations, https://www.lachrymology.org/. The book is apparently accessible with Kindle Unlimited but I don't have that or I would take a peek. Sure, I've even joked before about creating a Church of NIN, but doesn't it seem a bit excessive of a fan to try to sell a book by that name and take donations for a "church" based on that Tool history (of course there may not have been any actual book sales or donations)?

wow, that is a lot of hard work for someone... The Twitter account on follows 4 people.. and guess who they are?

sinspots
08-14-2018, 04:18 PM
wow, that is a lot of hard work for someone... The Twitter account on follows 4 people.. and guess who they are?

Five people liked it on FB, lol.
https://www.facebook.com/ChurchOfLachrymology/
https://twitter.com/LachrymologyREL

I wouldn't be bothered by it except for asking for money from people for this fake religion and well some people are easily susceptible (on the website he is selling 9 online courses that range from $200 up to $1800 each!).

Tyson
08-15-2018, 03:49 AM
It's all a joke. Back in the 90s after fans realized Maynard was bullshitting, everyone wanted in on the joke, so several people would claim that they read the book. When the internet became popular it grew even more, with people making fake entries in online libraries and bookstores (which were conveniently always out of stock) and adding fake reviews. Some claiming to have found a copy in an old second-hand book store or in an estate sale, but mysteriously losing the book due to circumstances etc.

In the current "meme age" of the internet, people are propagating the ruse in more elaborate ways. Like that website. You can't actually purchase those classes or donate anything. No matter what you select when filling out the order form it always says "Not available in your state."

You may be able to donate to that gofundme, but if you're donating money to random things on gofundme that's kind of on you. If the guy ever did get donations it'd probably go to paying the server fees for the joke site.

sinspots
08-15-2018, 10:28 AM
Like that website. You can't actually purchase those classes or donate anything. No matter what you select when filling out the order form it always says "Not available in your state."

I'm able to put the Amazon book in my cart. If anyone here has Kindle Unlimited, I'd be curious to know what's in it.

Tyson
08-15-2018, 11:04 AM
The first paragraph in the book is just a brief explanation of what the "Lachrymist religion" is, and the rest of the book is just nonsensical prose (69 pages of it *wink*) that could seem really deep and meaningful if one were so inclined to take the joke seriously. It's more or less just a conversation starter/prop for Tool/Maynard fans to have on the shelf like these (https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Recently-Deceased-James-Hunt/dp/1482665328/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534348401&sr=8-1&keywords=handbook+for+the+recently+deceased&dpID=51%252BwdtocUyL&preST=_SY344_BO1,204,203,200_QL70_&dpSrc=srch) are for Beetlejuice/Burton fans.

Here's an excerpt:

The Lachrymist drinks at a mountain's underground reservoir, freshly awoken. A birthing delivered safely though administered through the night before the running of a raging bull. The astronomer wisely foretold that the Aquarian revolution would envelop the wails of the villagers sprinkled in the fields. Chuckles of children in the alleys, by the drains of the buildings, infantile cares. Aging, Larchymology's progression. Nightly beautiful kisses, past the time of heartbreak, finally at peace.

sonic_discord
08-15-2018, 12:08 PM
I can't believe it's 2018 and we're still talking about "Lachrymology." I remember reading about this bullshit when I was in high school before Salival was released (sometime in 1999 or 2000).

botley
08-20-2018, 08:53 AM
How to copy Adam Jones's super bizarre warlock-like left-hand rhythm technique in "Jambi":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-IV7Ox66lY

Try to ignore the fact that he kinda uses the term "downbeats" incorrectly (technically, those only occur on the first beat of each measure, not on all accented beats) and his time signature explanation is otherwise pretty solid — this must be a real pain in the ass to keep the rhythm consistent throughout while playing such an epic song... gotta practice it more!

Ash512
08-22-2018, 05:53 AM
How to copy Adam Jones's super bizarre warlock-like left-hand rhythm technique in "Jambi":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-IV7Ox66lY

Try to ignore the fact that he kinda uses the term "downbeats" incorrectly (technically, those only occur on the first beat of each measure, not on all accented beats) and his time signature explanation is otherwise pretty solid — this must be a real pain in the ass to keep the rhythm consistent throughout while playing such an epic song... gotta practice it more!

I think it's wrong though.

After watching countless amount of live videos, I'm pretty positive Jones doesn't drag his finger down like that. Not only is his finger cleary pulling off very perpendicularly, but you also hear a lot of accidental hammer ons in that guy's interpretation, so it almost sounds like a powerchord, while Jones sounds all open D. I'm fairly certain there's only one pull off in the sequence (sixth string), and the rest is picked, which gives it that very strong attack.

elevenism
08-22-2018, 08:43 AM
I can't believe it's 2018 and we're still talking about "Lachrymology." I remember reading about this bullshit when I was in high school before Salival was released (sometime in 1999 or 2000).
I read the book in 94. It changed my life. ;)

botley
08-28-2018, 09:23 AM
Rick Beato breaks down Parabol (including the synth-y introduction from the video) and Parabola. Includes some killer solo'd vocal and drum parts I'd never heard before!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f53W_KfQpNc

otnavuskire
09-10-2018, 03:47 PM
MJK just tweeted this:

Update- Scratch Vox tracked awhile ago. AJ deep in Guitars now. Final Vox after. Step back. Adjust. Mix. Adjust. Re-Adjust. Master. Adjust. Re-Adjust. Long Way 2 Go But Much Closer. #TOOL #2019

https://twitter.com/mjkeenan/status/1039249151366639616

Mr. Blaileen
09-10-2018, 11:31 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/c2ba5bb955513c24cd503acbfa845901/tenor.gif?itemid=6091046

Pumped!

gerbil
09-10-2018, 11:46 PM
A positive update from Maynard without of a bunch of sarcasm and cynicism actually makes me feel pretty positive about this whole thing.

PhoenixML
09-11-2018, 09:51 AM
2019. It's OFFICIAL!! It's the first time we are given a "date"!

Haysey_Draws
09-12-2018, 07:14 AM
*insert IT'S HAPPENING gif here*

aggroculture
09-12-2018, 07:33 AM
ever since the rape allegation I feel sick at the thought of Maynard
I have not listened to the new APC album
an artist I had a lot invested in *very likely* turned out to be a real shit: his response was so shitty, it alone was very revealing
the idea of a new Tool album just fills me with dismay

ryanmcfly
09-12-2018, 08:10 AM
I'm calling 12/31/19 at 11:59pm.

Bachy
09-12-2018, 10:36 AM
ever since the rape allegation I feel sick at the thought of Maynard
I have not listened to the new APC album
an artist I had a lot invested in *very likely* turned out to be a real shit: his response was so shitty, it alone was very revealing
the idea of a new Tool album just fills me with dismay

If you're referring to the allegations that arose from Twitter which also accused Trent, I seem to recall those being bogus.

RevolvingSheep
09-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Those allegations were officially confirmed as a hoax across multiple sources. It was found that the person claiming the allegations was a fraud and had posted similar allegations about Trent Reznor. While it has been proven that MJK did involve himself in sex with groupies, there has been no confirmations that he ever did so with people who were unwilling. If this had been a confirmed allegation and MJK had a track record of rape, many people would have come forward with their stories; it did not happen.

While I do feel MJK could have handled his response better, I can also understand his frustration at the claim but also at the public for being so quick to believe a stranger's claim.

And just for the record, I would be one of the first to denounce all fandom for Maynard if the claim had been proven true.

aggroculture
09-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Those allegations were officially confirmed as a hoax across multiple sources. It was found that the person claiming the allegations was a fraud and had posted similar allegations about Trent Reznor.

this statement is false; there were people sowing doubt over the story, and that's it. the doubt-sowers said that two twitter accounts registered to the same email (practically impossible) were accusing both men of rape around the same time, but this was never demonstrated in any meaningful way; it was just a story that the two accounts were linked.

gerbil
09-13-2018, 03:45 AM
this statement is false; there were people sowing doubt over the story, and that's it. the doubt-sowers said that two twitter accounts registered to the same email (practically impossible) were accusing both men of rape around the same time, but this was never demonstrated in any meaningful way; it was just a story that the two accounts were linked.

I felt sick and was worried to death about it but there doesn’t seem to be anything there. Nothing substantial ever came of it.

I always give the victim the benefit of belief but nothing else has checked out with the alleged victim’s story and multiple sources have said that backstage passes were pretty thoroughly vetted.

zecho
09-13-2018, 11:57 AM

Well, she also refused to talk to any media because she claimed she was doing an interview with Rolling Stone. I get the feeling that if there was anything to this they would have published that interview.

WorzelG
09-13-2018, 12:14 PM
aggroculture you can use mytwitterbirthday to check when any account was made and the two accounts were made within the same hour, with the TR one being first, so not created to reply to it. Very shady in my opinion and I would probably have believed the maynard one if it weren't for that

halo eighteen
09-13-2018, 12:24 PM
I'm longing for the day when we can move on and actually be talking about new tool music.

theimage13
09-13-2018, 12:55 PM
I'm longing for the day when we can move on and actually be talking about new tool music.

Careful what you wish for. If/when it finally comes up, it'll probably be a mix of "it's Tool so it's obviously awesome" and "I waited fucking 20 years for this shit?", with maybe one or two actual reviews hidden between the insults that the opposing viewpoint holders hurl at each other. I do hope I'm wrong.

pulse
09-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Careful what you wish for. If/when it finally comes up, it'll probably be a mix of "it's Tool so it's obviously awesome" and "I waited fucking 20 years for this shit?", with maybe one or two actual reviews hidden between the insults that the opposing viewpoint holders hurl at each other. I do hope I'm wrong.

There are also Tool fans that have hated everything after Ænima. Of course there will be people that hate it. I can't imagine it being bad though. I mean, Danny fucking Carey is playing percussion on it. Unless Maynard records himself jerking off his dick for 80 minutes, it should be entertaining.

theimage13
09-13-2018, 02:10 PM
I mean, Danny fucking Carey is playing percussion on it. Unless Maynard records himself jerking off his dick for 80 minutes, it should be entertaining.

Even great artists can put out underwhelming music sometimes. And I bet a not insignificant number of people would give MJK wanking it for 80 minutes a 10/10. Tool have one of the weirdest fanbases of any popular act of the last several decades.

Frozen Beach
09-13-2018, 06:40 PM
I think the worry should be about Adam Jones wanking it since he seems to have been the one that has kept this thing held up forever. Now with Maynard, you should worry about him phoning it in.

Bachy
09-13-2018, 06:53 PM
Now with Maynard, you should worry about him phoning it in.

Hearing what he did with Eat The Elephant, I’m not at all worried about that.

RevolvingSheep
09-14-2018, 12:40 PM
I just hope that the reason this has taken so long to complete is that Tool is going forward with the rumored album/movie. I remember hearing a while back that they were talking about doing something like Pink Floyd did with The Wall.

Who knows. We might get a double album and full length movie that Adam Jones has helped usher.

BrokenSpiral
09-14-2018, 12:59 PM
I doubt it. Probably more like a 9 track album.

allegate
09-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Or five 10-minute songs and three of them are instrumentals.

ManBurning
09-14-2018, 01:40 PM
Hearing what he did with Eat The Elephant, I’m not at all worried about that.

If we're going off of "eat the elephant" than yes, we should be worried about Maynard phoning it in. He couldn't have sounded more bored and uninspired than on that record.

sonic_discord
09-14-2018, 02:35 PM
If we're going off of "eat the elephant" than yes, we should be worried about Maynard phoning it in. He couldn't have sounded more bored and uninspired than on that record.

I disagree, but I think the reason some people think that is the overall slower tempo of the songs on the album. I imagine that's not likely going to be a concern for the new Tool album.

Shadaloo
09-14-2018, 03:19 PM
Or five 10-minute songs and three of them are instrumentals.

Don't forget

Interlude 1: [[Excerpt from a Coast to Coast AM broadcast]]

Interlude 2: [[Maynard's cat farting, extended for two minutes layered underneath a backwards-masked recipe for lemon meringue pie spoken entirely in Afrikaans]]

Note: I still do enjoy Tool. Really!

Krazy
09-14-2018, 05:12 PM
Wait.

Maynard’s got a cat?...

gerbil
09-14-2018, 05:22 PM
Wait.

Maynard’s got a cat?...

If I remember my Tool FAQ correctly, it’s the sound on Mantra.

Bachy
09-14-2018, 06:13 PM

I’d agree to disagree. I feel like “Feathers” is some of the best work he’s done to date.

BrokenSpiral
09-15-2018, 02:12 PM
Yeah I thought Maynard sounded the best he has in awhile on ETE.

center27j
09-17-2018, 10:31 AM
Yeah I thought Maynard sounded the best he has in awhile on ETE.

im in that camp as well, has me more excited for the Tool record (just hope he goes heavier).

gerbil
09-17-2018, 10:44 AM
im in that camp as well, has me more excited for the Tool record (just hope he goes heavier).

I feel like he avoided using his lower range much on ETE so I wouldn’t be surprised to hear more of it on anything Tool does.