Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2288

Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    haha... people either giving MM too much or not enough credit on this whole carly simon/starfuckers thing

Here's what probably happened - MM & Depp get chatting... Depp suggests the cover, the starfuckers thing occurs to MM, but he weighs up which headline is more likely;

a) Manson records song with Johnny Depp
    b) Manson records song that another song 13 years ago cribbed a couple of lines from, in order to have a pop at him

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    does anyone else feel the guitar from "Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms" sounds a little like Soundgarden? thats got to be the best track on the album. If Slo-Mo-tion didn't have such terrible lyrics I would say those two are the best that BV has to offer....

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    does anyone else feel the guitar from "Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms" sounds a little like Soundgarden? thats got to be the best track on the album. If Slo-Mo-tion didn't have such terrible lyrics I would say those two are the best that BV has to offer....
    I agree, i think BV, has either "good tunes with awful lyrics" ("Murders are getting Prettier... Slo-Mo-Tion) or "good lyrics with awful tunes" (Disengaged, Childern of Cain)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Re: You're So Vain:

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
    “I once saw an interview with [director] Guillermo Del Toro,” says Manson, “and he said the score reflects what the director wants to say. That song reflects what the actors, the characters are feeling. I thought ‘You’re So Vain’ would make the perfect statement because the record isn’t about anyone else. It’s about me.”
    Interview found here:http://www.fuse.tv/2012/05/inside-ma...mpaign=pd&xQZh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    Re: You're So Vain:

Interview found here:http://www.fuse.tv/2012/05/inside-ma...mpaign=pd&xQZh
    Well, I am glad that is over.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    does anyone else feel the guitar from "Lay Down Your Goddamn Arms" sounds a little like Soundgarden?
    Well kinda... More like Deftones.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I believe I found Mr. Manson's long lost sister

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I believe I found Mr. Manson's long lost sister
    Sopor Aeternus actually has tallent though, and about two decades worth of interesting music behind her (or him) and is consistently interesting- while only ever really pressing a couple of thousand copies per album.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jezstyle View Post
    Well kinda... More like Deftones.
    Sounds more like dog tired by down

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Mechanical Animals is a badass album. Listening to it, I get the impression that Manson could've been "the new" Bowie. Then he settled for the "shock" image and was merely "the new" Alice Cooper.

Trent was Bowie.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Mechanical Animals is a badass album. Listening to it, I get the impression that Manson could've been "the new" Bowie. Then he settled for the "shock" image and was merely "the new" Alice Cooper.

Trent was Bowie.
    I always thought that the most important moment in Bowie's carrier was when he retired Ziggy Stardust at the end of the Ziggy tour in 1973. That's why we don't have a 60+ year old Bowie parading around in makeup.

Manson had the chance to become a very different artist that he did. He could have lose the theatrics and the bullshit around the Antichrist Superstar area, and do something else. The fact that every release is still tied to his costume is kinda sad.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    I always thought that the most important moment in Bowie's carrier was when he retired Ziggy Stardust at the end of the Ziggy tour in 1973. That's why we don't have a 60+ year old Bowie parading around in makeup.

Manson had the chance to become a very different artist that he did. He could have lose the theatrics and the bullshit around the Antichrist Superstar area, and do something else. The fact that every release is still tied to his costume is kinda sad.
    Yeah, I agree.

I'm just barely listening to Manson, I've heard Antichrist, Mechanical, Low End and Born Villain so far. The artistic leap from Antichrist to Mechanical is so huge, it really sounded promising and opened things up. But from what I've read online, Mechanical "alienated" his fans so much that he had to crawl back to his usual schtick, and stay with it. But I'm not Manson expert, so I dunno. All I know is that Born Villain sounds alright, and not much more than that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I agree that after Mechanical Animals it really did feel like he would take it to the next level and become some sort of Bowie type figure, and although I like Holy Wood, it was a step backwards & image-wise it was a retreat into a comfortable aggro-goth rocker image. Like if you watch an ACSS show and then watch a Holy Wood one, the Holy Wood ones are basically the well rehearsed, slick & pro versions of ACSS shows. You can see he's had the corset made to be comfortable performance-wear, whereas in ACSS it was just some grotty corset he'd found somewhere. It's a symbol of the differing approach! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    The fact that every release is still tied to his costume is kinda sad.
    I disagree with this, in fact I think a major weakness of current Manson is that he pretty much makes zero effort with the image/imagery. He wears a bit of slap but basically he's been wearing a tshirt and leather trousers since 2007 - in Manson terms this is basically giving up on projecting an image.

I think he should have upped the artifice ala Mechanical Animals, or gone all the way stripped down, no makeup no bullshit. As it is he kind of straddles the middle ground and possesses neither dazzling spectacle or raw power

wow that sounds like I'm proper slagging him off - I still really like Manson! But there's a difference between the 90s and now

I think the problem can really be boiled down to this; He's Brian Warner again. The albums are about him, rather than some grand concept. There's no Antichrist Superstar or Omega persona for him to project himself through, it's just him, and to be honest it's not as compelling
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-30-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I agree that the Omega character could have "lasted" longer, it was a good concept, very fitting with Manson's evolution, i think BV still has songs in the "Mechanical Animals spirit" (Slo-Mo-Tion, Children of Cain, Lay down your Goddam Arms) would love to see a new Omega & The Mechanical Animals album sometime soon!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Sutekh pretty much nailed it completely. My biggest beef is that the last three albums' songs are fairly interchangeable. You could name any song and it'd fit on any of the albums. When I wanna hear glitchy, bowie Glam then I'll pop in MA. You couldn't mistake any of the songs from his earlier works. It always had the Manson touch, but he was, as many have said here already, on his way to be the next Bowie-like chameleon. The last albums were just kinda drab (despite having a few stand out tracks). Maybe he needs to rock out another full-blown concept album? That'd surely make my interest go up ten fold.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Also he doesn't do internal vocabulary anymore... as you say, the last 3 are all pretty indistinct

If you read the lyrics to Mechanical Animals, the analogies he draws often have a lot of spacey, sci fi-tinged imagery, clinical sounding phrases & titles (provider modules, fundamentally loathsome, disassociative, etc), the album somehow sounds the way the booklet looks

Similarly In Utero by Nirvana is all abortions, cancer, rape, sickness etc - he keeps conjuring biological processes gone awry and it builds up layer by layer to give a general unclean, angsty feel

but more recent Manson lacks that certain cohesion - the booklets for ACSS, MA and HW kick the bollocks off of every booklet since, so much more intricate & interesting. And he doesn't really push very strongly at any particular strain of imagery, Eat Me Drink Me (Which I love) is this muddle... on one track he dips his toe into supernatural/phantasmagorical (vampire), but the rest is unpretentious spurned lover/perils of fame, and there's slight references to alice in wonderland but not to a degree of substance. It's the first one where he just talks about how he is, rather than trying to project an image through a fully aligned multimedia effort

Also with Golden Age of Grotesque... if they hadn't done any promotional interviews or visuals for that, would anyone have realised he was trying to invoke Weimar Berlin? every song (apart from spade) is him boasting about how badass he is with nu metal tinged industrial rock in the background

such a shame, when I heard the concept prior to hearing the album, I envisioned something a lot more organic sounding -I expected a bit of brass or something, more of a jaunty, vaudevillian feel (to be fair I think the title track almost managed it). Anyway I'm drifting to the edge of the universe now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I thought your last comment was rather to the point.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Murderers & Antichrist in the set... off the set... in the set... suspense! Brixton will be something of a last chance saloon for his London credibility so hopefully we'll get the long set

Quote Originally Posted by Planet of the apes View Post
    Its pretty vain and kindred to what a 15 year old high school kid goes through.
    lol... "akin"

"Yes your honour, on the night in question per se
    "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What is that even supposed to mean?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

lol... "akin"

"Yes your honour, on the night in question per se
    "
    LULZ. Reading is fundamantal. Or at least it should be.

Anyways, I think Sutekh is spot on. The booklets, artwork, videos, etc. were such a big factor in MM's previous work (I know, I know...it's the MUSIC that's most important...but it's awful now) that I too think it's probably a big reason why I feel it's so bland now. Like I said, it was always HIM, but he touched upon so many genres and for a while did it very well. The whole Mechanical Animals booklet with the hidden messages, drug references...hell, in one picture he's sitting on a giant pill like it's a couch. It made you chuckle but it made a point at the same time. He went from sideshow nightmare...to antichrist superstar...to a Bowie-like glammed out space addict...to a vaudevillian ringleader...to just a guy in black leather...repeat...repeat.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    He's using the Suspiria theme as the intro? That is like the most overused intro music ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No Reflection plays during the end credits of Chernobyl Diaries, if it hasnt been said yet

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elementroejoy View Post
    No Reflection plays during the end credits of Chernobyl Diaries, if it hasnt been said yet
    Meh, in other news how was the movie? It has premise to be good based on location but I feel it's bad?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Meh, in other news how was the movie? It has premise to be good based on location but I feel it's bad?
    It was hustled into theaters without first being shown to critics, and that's usually a surefire sign that the studio responsible thinks it's a turkey. Lots of horror films are turkeys, but enjoyable turkeys, though, so it depends how much you enjoy the shaky-cam, found-footage horror subgenre. If you think it's awesome, you might like it. If you're sick of it, Chernobyl Diaries probably won't convert you.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    People using words they don't understand to look smart, and unfortunately ending up looking dumber

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Proshot from Rock am Ring 2012:

Hey Cruel World
    Personal Jesus
    ACSS

SO much better than previous years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love "Hey Cruel World" as an opener.......I hope Manson announces the rumored tour with Zombie soon for the fall and that they come close to Northeast PA.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Don`t know what it is with German festivals, but last night he had a fight with Fred on stage, similar to the one with John5 some years ago. It started after Fred apparently somehow hit Mansons lip (didnt really see how this happened). Next thing you see is Fred being pushed to the floor, lying there, Manson storming first off the stage, then going to Twiggy to complain, showing his lip. Then getting angrier he threw a water bottle in the back of Fred, who by then was up and trying to play again and the guy was somehow again on the floor. This all happened during The beautiful people, basically only Twiggy and the drummer were playing the song. Manson continued by destroying the drums, then tried to throw a mike stand at Fred, but didnt really manage. At this point Fred threw the bass on the floor and stormed off. Manson then crushed a stage-light with his fist and left too, he seemed furious...

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decadent View Post
    Don`t know what it is with German festivals, but last night he had a fight with Fred on stage, similar to the one with John5 some years ago. It started after Fred apparently somehow hit Mansons lip (didnt really see how this happened). Next thing you see is Fred being pushed to the floor, lying there, Manson storming first off the stage, then going to Twiggy to complain, showing his lip. Then getting angrier he threw a water bottle in the back of Fred, who by then was up and trying to play again and the guy was somehow again on the floor. This all happened during The beautiful people, basically only Twiggy and the drummer were playing the song. Manson continued by destroying the drums, then tried to throw a mike stand at Fred, but didnt really manage. At this point Fred threw the bass on the floor and stormed off. Manson then crushed a stage-light with his fist and left too, he seemed furious...
    [citation needed]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decadent View Post
    I'm seeing the same thing all over twitter.