Page 63 of 263 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 73 113 163 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 7886

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Okay, first of all. I saw them on the pre-10k Days theater show and on the 10k Days tour and aside from a few staple songs (Sober, Stinkfist, Ænema) they were different enough. They have at least 3 "event" songs. Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, and Wings for Marie/10k Days that are significant productions.

Second, they have toyed with playlists here and there and, surprise, people are upset they heard an extended Opiate but not Pushit.

MOST people only go to one show per tour or per leg of the tour. My wife has never seen them and would love to see them if they came around, set list be damned.

And finally don't you guys dare get all greedy and shitty and act like these guys haven't been busy for 9 years. There was the original tour for about 2 years. Some other tours, legal issues, at least three side projects, three of the guys had kids, a serious illness, and a hip replacement.

Don't be dicks.
    But their track record gives fans that disdain. It took 7 years for Lateralus to come out. Then it took 4 years for 10,000 Days to come out.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I've been noticing that when I get my mocha before work of a morning, the M the guy writes on top is basically the same as Maynard's signature, minus the little round thing on top:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    But their track record gives fans that disdain. It took 7 years for Lateralus to come out. Then it took 4 years for 10,000 Days to come out.
    The band almost broke up between Ænima and Lateralus, IIRC. Maynard came out with A Perfect Circle in the interim while legal battles started rumbling. Maynard did two APC records and Puscifer between Lateralus and 10k Days while the lawsuit was ongoing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    At what point do they (or have they already) become a nostalgia act? I think this whole thing is fascinating. They really don't owe anyone anything. No one is forcing anyone to buy their records or go to their shows. But at the same time, playing the same setlist for years with not a hint of new music is pretty alienating to the long time fanbase they've had.

I'm neutral to all this nowadays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The tickets are $99 each. wtf I might just skip Saturday for Sunday night for Deftones. I'm not sure about that as well because Deftones is on before Linkin Park and Rob Zombie. Might be a short set

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    The band knows exactly what they're doing... laughing all the way to the bank. I'd be laughing too at $45-50 for a concert T-shirt.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Considering that most of the people going are probably the hardcore fans.
    Not sure why you would possibly think this. I'm not sure if you've ever been to a Tool concert, but I'd wager at least 90% of the attendees are casual fans. Mostly drunken screaming shitbags.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Not sure why you would possibly think this. I'm not sure if you've ever been to a Tool concert, but I'd wager at least 90% of the attendees are casual fans. Mostly drunken screaming shitbags.
    You don't need to attend a TOOL concert to find these people. All you need to do is throw on a TOOL T-shirt and walk around your town minding your own business, they'll come to you. Hooting and hollering all by themselves across the street, from their car windows, inside the malls. Doesn't matter, they're everywhere, screaming and yelling, sober or drunk, doesn't matter.

TOOL probably has the most casual fan base out there. Everyone is a "fan". Even the bros, Even the bros...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Te only time I've ever had a problem with Tool fans was Vegas 2010- there were about a dozen frat bros all together directly behind us and also in the same row. Bunch of dooshbags- loud and smoking and constantly going to piss.

But then again that same issue rises for ANY Vegas show I've been to. I can only speak from my experiences but NIN and Tool crowds are pretty identical if I had to compare.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I haven't. Guess i assumed considering how quick their tickets sell. But are you at least agreeing that they're phoning it in when choosing a set list?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    But are you at least agreeing that they're phoning it in when choosing a set list?
    People have to realize Maynard can't sing some of the stuff he used to, particularly the older songs where he needs to scream. That kind of limits them. Hell, listen to Vicarious where he doesn't belt out the last couple lines. Would be cool to get some other songs but they may end up sounding like shat because of that.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm not saying they need to play those songs. There's tons of other songs, I'm sure he can still do. The soft version of Pushit? Parabola? There's no excuse on why they keep recycling the same setlist except for laziness or Maynard not being able to do it. But there are plenty of songs he can probably still do that don't don't require him to really push himself too hard.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Well, when you think about it... TOOL has a lot of filler crap in between their main songs on their records... Songs like useful idiot, message to harry manback, Intermission, Die Eier von Satan, Cesaro Summability, Mantra, Faaip de Oiad etc. When you take all that away, you're really not left with much when you think about it. I'd say TOOL does a pretty good job working with what they have.

You can't expect something like Ticks and Leeches to even be considered at this point either, that song would DESTROY his voice after 1 singing, let alone a whole tour's worth of singing it night after night.

When you take into consideration what they do play VS what they have left in their catalog, I think they do a pretty good job covering all their records with what actually works live.

I mean, do we really want Disposition/Reflection/Triad to make a return and take up 1/3 of the concert? There is the Grudge, but once again, I don't think his voice could handle that now. That leaves us with a few songs that haven't been played in a while Eulogy, Jimmy and a number of tracks from Undertow, which well established acts usually like to neglect their first record for some reason anyway. We've covered all we can.

It all boils down to, they need some new material! That's all it is, these setslist aren't necessarily bad, it's just we've seen all the songs they have in their catalog played over and over at this point in their career... In 10-15 years time, if these guys are still playing by then, these are the songs and setlists people are going to want to hear anyway.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 06-24-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    But they played Hooker With A Penis. He didn't scream, and changed his approach to the song altogether. So, when I see that, I think he can do vocals on other songs. Differently, but still possible. Lack of new material after so many tours surely doesn't help.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I love how everyone says the band are finished and washed up and sellouts but we don't STFU about them, haha

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Tool are STUCK in their rut, totally totally stuck. Stuck on repeat. For a band that preached creativity and freedom and "distrust authority" this is just so embarassing. Fuck, I'd rather hear them randomly jamming for two hours, or playing a cover set, or anything, just anything but this same old same old again. Take a leaf out of your heroes The Melvins' book, or Skinny Puppy. At least those guys are putting out records, trying new things.
    The last thing I would ever have wanted Tool to become is predictable: and here they are, you go to a Tool show already knowing pretty much exactly what you'll see and hear, give or take a song or two. Here they are, touring the same album for close to a decade.
    How did it come to this?

Put out a new album already, develop a new show, do something different: then we'll talk.

I am totally patient for the new album, but these live shows strike me as a complete waste of time. If it's a question of raising money, I'm sure they have a ton of stuff in the vaults they could release instead.
    This.

It's been over nine years since 10KD, and nothing has been recorded, according to Maynard. No instrumentals, no lyrics, no melodies. Zilch.

Seriously, what the fuck have they been doing this past decade? Just because they were in some drawn-out lawsuit for years doesn't mean they couldn't still get together and work on new material.

I'm not even sure I want a new Tool album, or would care if it ever got released at all. I know it's their creation and they don't owe anybody shit, but it amazes me that people still care about this band. They haven't done anything groundbreaking since Aenima nearly 20 years ago (!!!)

Bleh. Fuck 'em. I hear Maynard's wine is hitting though

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    This.

It's been over nine years since 10KD, and nothing has been recorded, according to Maynard. No instrumentals, no lyrics, no melodies. Zilch.

Seriously, what the fuck have they been doing this past decade? Just because they were in some drawn-out lawsuit for years doesn't mean they couldn't still get together and work on new material.

I'm not even sure I want a new Tool album, or would care if it ever got released at all. I know it's their creation and they don't owe anybody shit, but it amazes me that people still care about this band. They haven't done anything groundbreaking since Aenima nearly 20 years ago (!!!)

Bleh. Fuck 'em. I hear Maynard's wine is hitting though
    A band doesn't have to be ground breaking to be good. I like Tool for a lot of reasons.

As for the live stuff, anyone who's gone to a show in the last decade or listened to a bootleg can tell you that they're mixing up how they perform the songs and the way they're arranged.

Again, they've all been working on different stuff. Maynard never said nothing has been recorded or written. I don't know where you're getting that from. In fact, according to Maynard's own Instagram he's gotten a chance to listen to some rough mixes.

If you want me to get philosophical about the setlist issue... I think Maynard's done opening those old wounds. Everything they're playing is fitting with his self-professed approach to life. The setlist is more playful and upbeat.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Maynard has his vineyard and Puscifer. He's keeping busy. Danny pops up and contributes in different places. Adam does his art. I just don't think Tool is their top priority any more. And, that's fine. But they continue to tour and string people along. Tool is still profitable for them. So why not tour? As a fan, it kinda sucks. But logically, I get it. At this point, if there's a new album, awesome. I'm just not holding my breath anymore.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It's probably very hard to come up with music that will stand up to their glorious past, I think it's the main reason they are so slow and unproductive, all these super famous huge bands are probably super anxious about their heritage to the point of not wanting to release anything for fear it will ruin their legacy.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Shit- looks like that Tempe show only holds 5,000. WTF?

If that's the case it sounds cool, but I don't like my chances of securing tickets. :/

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Everyone keeps ranting about touring. Am I missing something, or is doing a one-off now considered a tour?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    People are arguing over old shows.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    People are arguing over old shows.
    Probably new ones as well.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Shit- looks like that Tempe show only holds 5,000. WTF?

If that's the case it sounds cool, but I don't like my chances of securing tickets. :/
    Holy crap. That just convinced me to go. I didn't realize it would be so small.
    Last edited by theruiner; 06-25-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Everyone keeps ranting about touring. Am I missing something, or is doing a one-off now considered a tour?
    An old Chinese proverb goes something like this: People are stupid.

:P

Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Holy crap. That just convinced me to go. I didn't realize it would be so small.

Crap- I've got competition now. Shouldn't have posted anything until AFTER I can't get tickets!

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Heh...thankfully my lunch break is at 10, so as soon as I go to lunch that's the first thing I'm doing.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I've been over Tool for a number of years. They haven't released anything new in so long that i don't care to listen to the older shit anymore. Though, i'd still see them live because they put on a great live show.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    I've been over Tool for a number of years. They haven't released anything new in so long that i don't care to listen to the older shit anymore. Though, i'd still see them live because they put on a great live show.
    Salival is some good shit though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I want new Tool so I can get some new grooves from Danny. I love Maynard's voice, and through Puscifer and APC, and older Tool shit, there's enough to keep me satisfied. Adam and Justin are great too, but I can live without them I think. Danny though..such an amazing drummer, and he's so under-utilized.

Also, they should really just put some stuff together and release Salival II. It can't be that hard.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Again, they've all been working on different stuff. Maynard never said nothing has been recorded or written. I don't know where you're getting that from. In fact, according to Maynard's own Instagram he's gotten a chance to listen to some rough mixes.
    Funny you should say that; I got it from Maynard's Instagram, actually

http://www.alternativenation.net/too...oween-concert/

Just after the big blue text in the article. "Nothing is recorded yet, but the guys are confident that the pieces are coming together swimmingly and will be ready for me to begin writing melodies and content ‘soon’.

So yea, courtesy of Maynard, nothing''s been recorded yet. That's where I'm getting it from