Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    What ship was leaving when the engineer drank the liquid? Why did he drink it in the first place? It seemed like he didn't even know that was going to happen?? And what was really David's reason for poisoning Holloway? That really pissed me off. I was also glad after he turned that they killed him off. I was thinking "O great, this just seems like every other sci-fi movie that has a mutated crew member and it just kills everyone with it's brute strength."

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    What about when the crew member mutated and killed people with its brute strength?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ I meant as it was happening I was thinking that. I was hoping they didn't go off with it and kept him alive lurking around the ship looking for the rest of them. Geez the more I go back into this, the more I realize how much of a mess this movie really was. That part made me think of "Sunshine" right away for some reason.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    What ship was leaving when the engineer drank the liquid? Why did he drink it in the first place? It seemed like he didn't even know that was going to happen?? And what was really David's reason for poisoning Holloway? That really pissed me off. I was also glad after he turned that they killed him off. I was thinking "O great, this just seems like every other sci-fi movie that has a mutated crew member and it just kills everyone with it's brute strength."
    I'm thinking it wasn't an engineer in the opening scene, but perhaps a monk, whose duty it was to bring life to a planet. Perhaps it was Earth many, many years ago, and the liquid was the primordial gazpacho that was the source of all life on a planet, or just the humanoid life, and it was more recent (after the dinosaurs). As for why he needed to drink it, as opposed to just dropping it from the ship, perhaps his body is a catalyst for the process. The ship above the waterfall might be operated by the space jockeys, or perhaps by a different race. The space jockeys might be the engineers, or they could be servants of the engineers. Perhaps we didn't see the engineers in Prometheus, but we will in the sequel.
    I think David gave the substance to Holloway to see if it was a key to immortality.... test it on an archeologist before giving it to Weyland.

As for why the monk's DNA disintegrated, I think it's a self-destruct feature used to prevent the propagation of their own breed of humanoids. Sure, the DNA matched human DNA, but I have a feeling it wasn't a 100% match, but then again, perhaps Earth's environment and lighter gravity altered their physique and appearance to what we're more familiar with.

Also, I have a theory that perhaps the space jockey that's woken up at the end was a good guy. Perhaps he's the one who unleashed the weapons on his crew. Maybe he felt the attack on Earth was unwarranted, killed the crew, then hid in the pod. When he wakes up and is greeted by humans from Earth, he fears the weapons will be taken back to Earth, humans and other life on Earth will be eradicated, and his attempt to save the planet 2,000 years ago would have been in vain. Maybe that space jockey is the big hero of this film. The remaining crew of the Prometheus only think the ship is destined for Earth because the navigation room indicated Earth's location being accessed previously. Or, perhaps the jockey did intend to complete the mission.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Why thank you sir I am very new to the whole series and I would definitely be able to catch some more stuff with another watch through.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Interesting take indeed

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    holy crap. the movie was rad. theres gonna be another one. there are lots of questions. if there weren't tons of questions, they wouldn't have reason for another one. also this movie was rad.

i wonder if the rumors of a merge with bladerunner are true...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    SPOILERS: I thought this was funny.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So I downloaded a CAM of this the other day cause I got baked and wanted to watch it. Obviously the video wasn't great but it was a good enough copy that I could at least see everything that was going on. Overall I thought it was a decent enough movie, it just seemed rushed and all over the place at times. Some of the things the characters do were just dumb as hell, and I really didn't give a shit about any of them. I'll watch it again once it releases on blu-ray to get a better look at the visuals but I'm glad I didn't fork out 15 bucks to go see this.

Commence hating because I watched a CAM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    What about when the crew member mutated and killed people with its brute strength?

He looked like when they guy drove into the vat of acid in the hit movie Robocop.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    That is pretty damn funny indeed!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Saw it a second time last night. Now I'm thinking about the film even more than the first time. I don't care what anyone says, I love the hell out of Prometheus.

I can't get over how beautiful the scene was where David was wandering around the map of the solar system inside of the spaceship's control pod.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Saw it tonight. It's a beautiful film. Would definitely see it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw this last night and need a little bit of help:

I had to leave the theater for a few (possibly critical) minutes during the film. I left right after they were rescued from the storm. When I returned, the SJ head was on a lab table (?) and then quickly exploded. What did I miss? Thanks.
    Last edited by orestes; 06-20-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: remove spoiler tag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcarianas View Post
    I saw this last night and need a little bit of help:

I had to leave the theater for a few (possibly critical) minutes during the film. I left right after they were rescued from the storm. When I returned, the SJ head was on a lab table (?) and then quickly exploded. What did I miss? Thanks
    They were trying to re-hydrate it (or something), in order to do some tests on it. The substance they were using reacted with the biological material, causing it to rapidly expand.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Not exactly. Shaw and the other woman were trying to figure out what lead to its death by decapitation, as shown in the hologram. They placed a probe of some kind to simulate last neural electrical activity in the brain.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The wife and I decided to see it for a third time in IMAX this Wednesday. It's going to be good times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another question:

I was confused by the Holograms. What were they-a record of the last events that took place in a certain location? What made them appear?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If you've seen the movie - watch this. WATCH THIS. I just died laughing and had to watch it again. It asks every question you might have had watching this film.

VVVVVV Well, fuck.
    Last edited by Torgo; 06-17-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Posted already.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I can't stop thinking about this movie...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    seen it loads now, so many amazing things to talk about - the Aztec-like human sacrifice at the beginning (there are shots of an elder engineer offering the cup), the hinting that we're a target for extermination for being a failed self-serving race of dickholes proven by murdering Jesus, the dark angel themes, the 'virgin birth' the film being set at Christmas... there is so much more going on here than in Alien. Incredible movie.

A telling line by David "Isn't that what everyone wants? To see their parents dead?" explains the Engineers reasoning to eradicate humankind, a failed race of destructive, murderous beings who are beginning to populate the galaxy like an infestation of vermin. They need to get rid of us before we get rid of them.

Then with all this religious symbolism it's hard not to think of 'Kane's Son' in a different light now.
    Last edited by owinn; 06-17-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcarianas View Post
    Another question:

I was confused by the Holograms. What were they-a record of the last events that took place in a certain location? What made them appear?
    This:
    Seriously.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    THe movie wasn't perfect, it had some flaws, the script could have been tighter but overall i really enjoyed it. It has some of the best visuals i've seen in a long damn time.

This movie has really divided some people, most of the time the criticism is a bit too nit picky. Audiences really don't enjoy open ended films all that much, i don't get why not.

This movie was one or two script revisions away from being an instant classic.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Problem is they didn't make those revisions...

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Nice to see Ridley Scott designed the Engineers off of Trent.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Your time is tick, tick, ticking awaaaaaaay

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Problem is they didn't make those revisions...
    yeah, and that is what keeps it from being one of the great scifi flicks of all time. still, it's up there as one of the most enjoyable.. at least for me.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    How did I not see this?! Someone really needs to photoshop a grey t-shirt, black leather jeans and killer sideburns onto him.