Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreamingSlave View Post
    Everyone should keep in mind this movie is a prequel that is 100 years before the alien film .
    30 years, actually. Spoiler: And who said anything about Weyland (or Holloway, your post doesn't make it clear) being a zombie?

As for a trilogy, let's see if they make enough money to justify one sequel first, and whether Ridley has time to do another (he has three or four other directorial projects in the pipeline, and the man is 74). There's also the possibility of negative feedback around particular unsolved elements making them want to wrap things up a bit more neatly if they do manage a sequel.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Never was a Ridley Scott fan, and this movie proves he lacks the subtly when it comes to direct.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I liked it. There were some scenes that were ridiculous, and some of the dialog was a joke, but overall it was a really entertaining movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Spoiler: The ship...may or may not be...
    What's the other option?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    The story was well crafted and executed
    I'm sorry but it wasn't. It had huge gaping holes in it, and let's not forget that it's supposed to be a stand alone movie, so they shouldn't rely on your preexisting knowledge of the mythology.

The biggest problem was that basic story making rules were not followed. For example, the main forces that move the story forward are David's action, but his motivations are not clear and honestly, I'm not even convinced that the filmmakers know why he did what he did...

It also had some uber-flat dialog.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. It answered a few questions from the Alien series while beginning something entirely new. Hoping for a sequel.

Spoiler: The ship Shaw and David leave the planet on may or may not be the one carrying the alien eggs, a more perfected version of what looked like a prototype weapon as seen in the bodyhugger form. Or the ship they're on will MEET that species at some point in future.
    So hopefully this new trilogy fills in the gaps successfully in the next couple movies!
    I hope so too. I've noticed that if there is a sequel, it's supposed to wander away from the Alien mythos. But I hope they can find a middle ground as a prequel, and something new at the same time.
    Last edited by Piko; 06-11-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Keep in mind 2 more films are coming Ridley said this would be a trilogy.
    oh wait wow, I hadn't heard that. Interesting.

Roger Ebert has been raving about this movie.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Yikes, I've been on the fence about going to see it after all the things I've been reading in here, I think I'll wait for Netflix.
    I hate to say this, because I didn't really care for the movie all that much, but if you're going to see it anyway, 3D and the big screen is the only way to go. This is the first 3D movie I've seen where the 3D was genuinely good, and really did add something. Seeing it in IMAX (and a real, full-sized IMAX to boot) certainly helped. But there's no way I would ever recommend this movie in 2D or on the small screen.

Like I said, if you're going to see it anyway, that's what I would recommend. The story left me wanting, but the visuals were freaking awesome.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I still haven't seen it yet. My experiences with both Imax and 3d have been almost entirely negative. Imax makes me queasy (seen Star Trek and Kung Fu Panda and that massive screen is simply horrible to look at); 3d also, I've yet to see a film I didn't feel the 3d was actually getting in the way of my enjoyment; I spend half the film wishing I could take those damn glasses off. Friends have recommended I see this in 2d, which is the way I think I'm going to go. A good movie theater's screen is still massive.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just saw this today and I love it. The Engineers looked so fucking real, and there was plenty of action to keep me at the edge of my seat. The beginning was pretty creepy not really knowing what to expect and the build up to when everything starts to go ape shit was done perfectly. The surgery sequence was pretty dam epic I must say. Yes there were some big plot holes and the dialogue was lacking, but there was enough here (even though they could have done SO much more with this) to keep me intrigued and to look forward for another movie.

:SPOLIERS:

I really liked when they showed how the Aliens are created I guess. Seeing it pop out of the engineers stomach was pretty sweet to see. Makes me want to go and watch Alien all over again.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I still haven't seen it yet. My experiences with both Imax and 3d have been almost entirely negative. Imax makes me queasy (seen Star Trek and Kung Fu Panda and that massive screen is simply horrible to look at); 3d also, I've yet to see a film I didn't feel the 3d was actually getting in the way of my enjoyment; I spend half the film wishing I could take those damn glasses off. Friends have recommended I see this in 2d, which is the way I think I'm going to go. A good movie theater's screen is still massive.
    This is the first time I've seen a movie in 3D that I actually thought it really enhanced the experience. It was also the first time I've ever seen a movie like this in IMAX, and I enjoyed it.

Still, if these things make you feel sick, then that's that. I don't feel ill during 3D movies, I just generally find it obnoxious. This time I was really impressed.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    This is the first time I've seen a movie in 3D that I actually thought it really enhanced the experience.
    I felt the same way. Especially Spoiler: the storm scene. Jesus, in 3D and IMAX that was epic.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I felt the same way. Especially Spoiler: the storm scene. Jesus, in 3D and IMAX that was epic.
    yeah, that was a standout moment for me... that, and there was one shot where these beams of sunlight were shooting out of the clouds into the theater. It was very subtle, and nobody else I've talked to yet seems to have noticed it, but I thought that was amazing.

Regarding this discussion about the Space Jockey... I guess I always assumed that he was fastened into some kind of birthing tube, like the apparatus extending into his face facilitated the face hugger impregnation, and the rest was a harness that kept him in place. I liked thinking it was something vague and mysterious like that. I'm not sure about the new explanation... also because Spoiler: how does the guy get back into the cockpit if he dies in a separate area? Am I to assume this is a scenario from another one of the ships? And where did the facehugger eggs come from? Did the alien from the end of the movie lay them, and then wait around for 30 or so years for Sigourney Weaver to show up? It almost seemed like the references to the original Alien movie were more an homage than an actual explanation, but who knows, maybe they'll address this stuff in the sequels... as long as they don't try to pull off that revelation that the engineers wanted to kill off humanity as revenge for crucifying alien Jesus... because that's really fucking stupid

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    I'm sorry but it wasn't. It had huge gaping holes in it, and let's not forget that it's supposed to be a stand alone movie, so they shouldn't rely on your preexisting knowledge of the mythology.
    In what way did they rely on pre-existing mythology that was to you egregious?

The biggest problem was that basic story making rules were not followed. For example, the main forces that move the story forward are David's action, but his motivations are not clear and honestly, I'm not even convinced that the filmmakers know why he did what he did...
    That's not an example of them setting rules and breaking them. It's an example of something being left insufficiently explained for you.

3D and the big screen is the only way to go.
    Big screen, yes. Having experience with and without 3-D I can say you're just fine saving the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Regarding this discussion about the Space Jockey... how does the guy get back into the cockpit if he dies in a separate area?
    Different movies, different planets, different guys, different ships.
    Last edited by Corvus T. Cosmonaut; 06-12-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I hate to say this, because I didn't really care for the movie all that much, but if you're going to see it anyway, 3D and the big screen is the only way to go. This is the first 3D movie I've seen where the 3D was genuinely good, and really did add something. Seeing it in IMAX (and a real, full-sized IMAX to boot) certainly helped. But there's no way I would ever recommend this movie in 2D or on the small screen.

Like I said, if you're going to see it anyway, that's what I would recommend. The story left me wanting, but the visuals were freaking awesome.
    I'm sure seeing it on the big screen is the better experience but I highly doubt there's any way I'll go see this now. I wanted to see it but things I've read all over the web have changed that opinion, it's 15 bucks to see a movie around here so I'll wait on this one. The Dark Knight Rises is probably the only movie this summer that I'll definitely go see, maybe The Expendables 2 if I can find some people to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That quote about a trilogy is taken out of context. Scott said that Prometheus could lead to two sequels with one of them being Alien.

I think the quote about there being an extended version on the bluray is taken out of context as well - I took what he said to mean the deleted scenes would be on it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I really wouldn't doubt an.extended cut of anything released these days. So I can only imagine the same for Prometheus. Especially when it's common knowledge that parts were cut out.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wonder if it would have helped if the three viral videos (the Weyland speech, the David video and the Shaw one) were played before the film, preferably in between trailers and commercials.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    To answer the space jockey question the one from alien was on a different planet Prometheus is on is lv-233 aliens took place on lv-246

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I wonder if it would have helped if the three viral videos (the Weyland speech, the David video and the Shaw one) were played before the film, preferably in between trailers and commercials.
    That would have been cool.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Interesting new article:

Spoiler: "From the very beginning, I was working from a premise that lent itself to a sequel," said Scott. "I really don't want to meet God in the first one. I want to leave it open to [Dr. Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace)] saying, 'I don’t want to go back to where I came from. I want to go where they came from.'"

Writer Damon Lindelof added: "['Prometheus'] has two children: One of these children grows up to be 'Alien,' but the other child is going to grow up, and God knows what happens to them. And that's what the sequel to 'Prometheus' would be."

Scott went on to explain that the original title of "Prometheus" was "Paradise." When Lindelof came on board, he changed the story to focus on bigger ideas of the "Alien" franchise, rather than on the creatures. As a result, the "Paradise" title will now likely become the name of the sequel, which will take us to the home planet of the Engineers. But that home planet will be far from paradise.

Because [the Engineers] are such aggressive f*ckers, I always had it in there that the God-like creature that you will see actually is not so nice, and is certainly not God," Scott explained. "I'd love to explore where the [Dr. Shaw] goes next and what does she do when she gets there, because if it is paradise, paradise can not be what you think it is. Paradise has a connotation of being extremely sinister and ominous."

Scott is very interested in returning for the sequel and so is Lindelof, but Lindelof believes a new writer should step in. "It could actually benefit going into someone else's able hand," he said. "Although, I feel like some storyline has already been constructed based on conversations that Ridley and I had about it."

Since "Prometheus" had a strong opening for an R-rated movie, it's very possible that 20th Century Fox will pressure him to postpone his other projects in order to make a sequel. But the follow-up will definitely not happen before the director shoots "The Counselor."

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    great idea for sure. a viral element outside the theater could've been cool too.

I liked the movie but i didn't love it by any means. I thought it was because I am not a huge sci-fi fan but I see here and on other sites that I have company! i am glad we saw it in IMAX 3-D because it was visually stunning. I just felt like the movie was too hollywood. So much was predictable and obvious while other important story lines were left with gaping holes in them.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    What's the other option?
    Well, it Spoiler: the ship Shaw is on at the end may have the alien eggs on it, or it's simply the ship she uses to find the Engineers' homeworld. And during whatever movie that action happens in, whether or not Shaw makes it to the end of the movie or not, the Alien ship is revealed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, it Spoiler: the ship Shaw is on at the end may have the alien eggs on it, or it's simply the ship she uses to find the Engineers' homeworld. And during whatever movie that action happens in, whether or not Shaw makes it to the end of the movie or not, the Alien ship is revealed.
    Heh, I just mean that when there's only two options, it's really redundant to list both of them. Either it is the ship with the eggs, or it isn't. Maybe it's just me, but it's irritating when people say "may or may not" when just a simple "may" is sufficient enough to get the point across.

My personal theory is that Spoiler: the Xeno we see break out of the engineer may have hitched a ride on that ship. Or did that happen after the ship took off? Shit, I hope it didn't. Anyway, if the Xeno is on the ship with Shaw and David, that could explain how the species spreads. If that happened after the ship takes off, then I need to develop a new theory. Right now I'm under the impression that the Xenos don't have their own transportation (and probably don't have the capacity to fly a ship anyhow).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If there will be a sequel and Damon Lindelof isn't involved, it should be a better movie than this one. I blame him for what I think is wrong with the story.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Well...

Spoiler: At some point, the xenos would have to revolt and take out the engineers. Since I'm sure the engineers get wiped out by them in the end. Unless there's survivors out there somewhere in the universe during the alien timeline.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    POssible Spoiler:

Is it just me or did it seems really out of character when the punk and the hippy saw the snake creature?

i mean one second they are afraid of any possible movement and go off in the oppossite direction... and then next they welcome it with open arms?

That part made no sense to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    POssible Spoiler:

Is it just me or did it seems really out of character when the punk and the hippy saw the snake creature?

i mean one second they are afraid of any possible movement and go off in the oppossite direction... and then next they welcome it with open arms?

That part made no sense to me.
    Well first, if I recall correctly, the "punk" dude actually didn't want anything to do with it. As for the "hippy", I'd say that they were scared of movement before they could see it, but then, after actually getting a look at it, he decided it was harmless. A stupid conclusion to come to, being on an alien planet an all, but I wouldn't necessarily call it out of character. We'd have to get more of a sense of who they are, aside from the archetypes that they portray. What didn't make sense to me, is at the end, Spoiler: after the ship crashed to the ground and starts rolling, why do the two women run along with it? Turn right and run that way. They could at least try and position themselves to be in the "middle" of the ship when it falls, IF it even falls to the right. They've got a much better chance of surviving by doing that, than they do by running in a direction that keeps them in the path of destruction.