Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HBO - The Leftovers

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

HBO - The Leftovers

Saw the first episode of this last night. Seems legit and interesting for now.

The Leftovers takes place in the wake of a global "Rapture" (later called "The Sudden Departure"), which caused the unexplainable disappearance of 2% of the world population. It centers not on the people who were taken, but on the ones left behind, in the fictitious suburban town of Mapleton, New York.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I was thinking about checking this out, looks interesting.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The pilot took a lot of time setting up different characters as expected. The show definitely has a weird dark vibe to it; might be the fact that Justin Theroux makes me think back to Inland Empire.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    it's cool to see some more of Theroux apart from paparazzi pics with his girlfriend. For some reason I like that guy alot and I'm glad he's got something with a more serious tone going on right now. Will check it out tonight!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Right now Theroux is the only good thing about the show. This Leftovers just doesn't seem up to HBO's usual standards.

The writing (especially exposition dialogue) is terrible, Lindolof's quirky little mysteries are weak and it looks like zero thought went into the cinematography. There's this Twin Peaks kinda feel to it but something about the setting just doesn't work with it so instead you just have a bunch of characters that are grounded in the real world but acting in strange ways as if they're not? I dunno, that complaint is hard to explain.

It really feels like nothing will ever be explained which isn't always a bad thing but when the writing and characters are this bad (or average, at least) you can't get away with the "it's not about the event, its about the people" excuse like you obviously can in something like True Detective.

I guess I'll keep watching for now though and hope it picks up. Lesli Linka Glatter is directing episode 3 or 4 so that might be cool, she's done some good stuff... but I guess some not so good stuff too.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Hey second episode and so far so good.

I don't think that this show is bad at all but its still early.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    They're pulling all the same moves they pulled on Lost with the unexplained mysteries, and the call backs I'm getting from that are really ejecting me from the show. Lost was basically six seasons of story blueballs so I'm probably gonna pass on this one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'll give it a couple more episodes until I make up my mind about this show. It's still too early so I'm okay with the introduction of multiple mysteries. I'd like to see another disappearance so the shit can really hit the fan.

Spoiler: I think it's great that they call it "what the fuck happened day".
    Last edited by BrewHa; 07-11-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The latest episode was definitely a change of pace but nice a nice one. I felt more emotional investment having spent the entire episode with a single character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    They're pulling all the same moves they pulled on Lost with the unexplained mysteries, and the call backs I'm getting from that are really ejecting me from the show. Lost was basically six seasons of story blueballs so I'm probably gonna pass on this one.
    The LOST hangover still hurts. I don't trust in mysteries getting solves, and get bored with constant unrelated puzzles and cliffhangers.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Lost was three seasons of awesome imaginative mystery, and then three confoundingly unsatisfying seasons where they failed to answer anything... and the answers they provided were so bad that they made you want to forget you ever wondered what the answer was. Warring gods? blllllaarrrrrrggggghhhghghghhsjdlaghasdkjghalksdgh aslkdgjh

They really pushed the envelope forward for a while there, and then completely fucked everything up. I think it's a bit premature to say this will go the same way though. Really, Lost could have pulled it off... it just didn't.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well, with his track record of Lost and Prometheus...I'm not optimistic that things will be explained. I haven't caught up with it yet, but I think Theroux is a fantastic actor.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Ok I'm starting to worry now. Episode 4 was horrible. The thing with the family photos? There are so many holes in that I dont know where to begin. Tommy throwing away his shoes and painting his forehead? Very stupid. Running away from security only to come back to the same spot without being noticed hours later? stupid.

The baby jesus thing? what is the point?

Not giving up yet but this was definitely a warning sign.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Ok I'm starting to worry now. Episode 4 was horrible. The thing with the family photos? There are so many holes in that I dont know where to begin. Tommy throwing away his shoes and painting his forehead? Very stupid. Running away from security only to come back to the same spot without being noticed hours later? stupid.

The baby jesus thing? what is the point?

Not giving up yet but this was definitely a warning sign.
    I am kinda at the same point. Like I find the show still interesting enough to still tune in but man they need to start patching up some of the story. A good buddy of mine gave up on the show after the third episode lol I am willing to continue watching but I just hope things to get clearer or at least interesting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Episode 3 was amazing, but unfortunately episode 4 was AWFUL. If there are filler episodes in a 10 episode season, that's usually not a good sign.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Episode 5 was thankfully waaaay better than 4. I'm still not sure where this show is going.

Who else thinks that the GRs killed one of their own for whatever wacky reason?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Episode 5 was thankfully waaaay better than 4. I'm still not sure where this show is going.

Who else thinks that the GRs killed one of their own for whatever wacky reason?
    Episode 4 didn't really bother me like it did for some folk. But yes, Episode 5 was a much more gripping episode. The whole stoning scene was pretty brutal though. Hmmm, I dunno if it's one of their own. Then again, with the way this show has been going with pretty much zero answers to anything so far. I cannot discredit your theory. But my theory is that maybe it's the Feds trying to start shit with these cults. Especially the FBI guy's tone on the phone with the Chief about getting rid of them if he just said the word. Like the government is sending in undercovers to kill one of these cult folks to start up shit and allow them to come in and round them up and do who knows what to them. Kevin seems like the only person actually protecting these annoying GR bastards. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened elsewhere, their police chief would be like "Fuck yeah, come on down and send these fuckers off to some place horrible. Good riddance!" Massive amount of hate emanating from the town folk in regards to cults like the GR. Like that dude's response to Kevin investigating the hate crime after his dogs woke Kevin up in his car while watching the GR's residence. Just a theory.

I really like the show... not knowing the details of what actually happened doesn't really bother me at all. I don't think we will ever know to be honest.

What if the people that disappeared weren't really raptured? Usually when you hear "rapture" it means those people raptured were taken to some sort of heaven/happy place. But what if they weren't the ones that disappeared? What if the 2% who disappeared are actually still living on the real Earth while the other 98% of the world were the ones that disappeared/raptured into some parallel purgatory version of Earth?

You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.
    Last edited by neorev; 07-30-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post

What if the people that disappeared weren't really raptured? Usually when you hear "rapture" it means those people raptured were taken to some sort of heaven/happy place. But what if they weren't the ones that disappeared? What if the 2% who disappeared are actually still living on the real Earth while the other 98% of the world were the ones that disappeared/raptured into some parallel purgatory version of Earth?

You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.
    Interesting thought. That would be kinda cool but I feel that ending would be too much like the LOST ending everyone hated so much.... oh... yeah... they were dead all along... thanks for watching

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Patty creeps me out. I didn't get the significance of the doggy bag named Neil.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michalrose View Post

or the white shirts.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michalrose View Post
    I figured since it was a doggy bag (for leftovers) Spoiler: that Neil must be a significant other who Patty left behind (so he's her Leftover). Maybe she hasn't really let go of him, and since the cult members are supposed to let go of everything of value to them, dropping that bag on the doorstep was a symbolic exercise in surrender. I assume she filled it with her own shit, but who knows.

or the white shirts.
    For me, it was just another example of Spoiler: how Garvey is losing his shit. And the fact that the shirts are white was nice symbolism, since things involving the color white seem to be the source of most of his misery.
    Last edited by jessamineny; 07-30-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I figured since it was a doggy bag (for leftovers) Spoiler: that Neil must be a significant other who Patty left behind (so he's her Leftover). Maybe she hasn't really let go of him, and since the cult members are supposed to let go of everything of value to them, dropping that bag on the doorstep was a symbolic exercise in surrender. I assume she filled it with her own shit, but who knows.

For me, it was just another example of Spoiler: how Garvey is losing his shit. And the fact that the shirts are white was nice symbolism, since things involving the color white seem to be the source of most of his misery.

Good call. I wonder of Garvey losing his shit will tie in to his father.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm glad that I've stuck with this show now. The last 2 episodes have been very rewarding. I would say that the character centric episodes are my favorites thus far. Carrie Coon puts on one hell of a performance as Nora.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewHa View Post
    I'm glad that I've stuck with this show now. The last 2 episodes have been very rewarding. I would say that the character centric episodes are my favorites thus far. Carrie Coon puts on one hell of a performance as Nora.
    Yeah same here. The last two episodes have extended the life of this show for me. Still tons of unanswered shit but those episodes were pretty good. Looks like the show is starting to pick up.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The last episodes definitely have made the show more interesting. I was especially glad to have Holy Wayne come back into the show. He is by far the most interesting character in the series and chews up the scenery when he is around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Leftovers has been picked up for a second season

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The finale was interesting but not any kind of revelation.

Sad to see Wayne go. He was by far the most interesting person on that show. I was slightly disappointed that the whole Kevin is crazy thing was a dream sequence. Had to to do some serious belief suspension in regards to the GR placing wax figures inside people's homes while they slept. I really hope next season is something greater.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The finale was interesting but not any kind of revelation.

Sad to see Wayne go. He was by far the most interesting person on that show. I was slightly disappointed that the whole Kevin is crazy thing was a dream sequence. Had to to do some serious belief suspension in regards to the GR placing wax figures inside people's homes while they slept. I really hope next season is something greater.
    Yeah I wish the story continued with that Kevin is crazy path because that was INSANE!
    When Patti showed up, I was like "OOOOOOOH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT... this is getting cra-ZAAAAAAY"
    Then it was just a dream and I was like "FUCK! YOU GOT ME."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Season 2, Episode 1
    Wow, WTF?
    And this show gets stranger
    But I must say I find myself enjoying the new season more
    I hope it can keep up the tension and mystery
    They could actually top the first season