22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Season 2, Episode 1
    Wow, WTF?
    And this show gets stranger
    But I must say I find myself enjoying the new season more
    I hope it can keep up the tension and mystery
    They could actually top the first season
    I like the change of setting. The new characters are already more interesting.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I like the change of setting. The new characters are already more interesting.
    Yes, agreed, I'm loving this season immensely more.
    I did really like the first season, but this season definitely better on all fronts.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I can't believe no one is talking about this season of The Leftovers at all here.
    Holy shit, this season has been fucking amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They took the show to a whole other level this season while still bringing things full circle and connecting with the first season in interesting and shocking ways.
    But wow, this show has grown into an amazing series.
    Season 1 is still important since it lays the groundwork, but Season 2 outshines the first season in every way and raises the stakes.
    Final episode is next week.... shit is about to hit the fan!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I have been thoroughly impressed by this second season. I think that the writers were really smart to focus on a short amount of time over many different characters. The hotel episode felt very satisfying and I wonder how that will play into this last Meg-centric episode. Tommy's last revelation really pumped me up for the finale since it is a brilliant way to connect the two seasons together.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    What a finale! Where will they go for Season 3? It's gonna be hard to top Season 2, it was such a great second season! But there's definitely some major crumbs pointing to what's gonna go down in the third season.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I thought it was unbelievably awful.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I thought it was unbelievably awful.
    That's a bit much no?

What could they really have done to make it a satisfying ending? I was happy with it. I think that the reveal in the trailer of the last episode was much more "gasp" than the finale but it felt like a satisfying enough end.

I'm not sure how I feel about Kevin going back into the hotel, perhaps that wasn't needed but I'm willing to give it a pass. It might have been cool to have Kevin interact with Mary in the hotel thus waking her but again this is nitpicking. I feel that this second season fired on all cylinders and as a whole it was damn satisfying.

I noticed a trend where people don't like where episodes end of a major cliff hanger or busts a major nut to make people tune in next week... but then complain when a season finale doesn't do that. I'm not saying that you are like these people. Just a general observation.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Never mind the ending... I gave up on this season after the first episode (VERY tempted to switch off after the seemingly irrelevant opening scenes). Only started watching full episodes again near the end when they followed Liv Tyler's character, and really wish I hadn't re-invested time, because Jesus flying spaghetti fuck, that last episode. Ugh.

Actually reasonably enjoyed the first season, but between that ridiculous opening sequence, the relocation to a new town, disruption of existing continuity, different set of characters, and the hair-pulling irritation of the opening credits' music and fonts, this run completely lost me right out of the gate. Felt like the opening of Alien 3, in which they immediately try really hard to put off anyone who's stuck around from the last outing.

Anyway, to each their own. I thought it was pretentious, deliberately offputting, paced more sluggishly than the expansion of the Atlantic and mysterious to the point of absurdity, but clearly a lot of people managed to sit through the whole thing without using their TV to chop firewood, so there must be some quality in it that I missed. I don't want to be the @billpulsipher of The Leftovers.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Switching to a new town, bringing in new characters, and expanding the world is what I thought made the second season great. I thought the pacing and build up throughout this season was perfect. It was tense, a sense of doom approaching. I felt this season outdid the first season in every aspect. This show is deeply meaningful and forces us to take a hard look at ourselves as people and a species. The opening of episode 1 and how it connects with the end is very poignant. There's so many crumbs spread throughout this season that set up the finale perfectly. This season had amazing depth. The opening titles and song are perfect, you must read the lyrics. The song itself sums up the two different type of viewers perfectly, which is actually a metaphor... you have people looking for answers behind everything and want some big explanation about the meaning of it all or you can just go on with the knowledge that not everything can be explained. We all want to know what really happened with The Departure, but there are things in life where we can't fully explain. We're never gonna know,what really happened and that is the genius behind this show. We act like finding a definitive answer is gonna make it all worthwhile, but in the end it really won't change who we are as people. We're still gonna be our miserable selves. It's like wanting to know the meaning of life or why all this was created. People feel like an answer will fill this hole inside us. Many of the folks who had people depart on them usually were in a moment of regret, where they wished they were in a different place and not with that person or persons. Imagine a world left with just these people and their regrets. This show is a huge reflection on the world and the human condition. It's a very smart show. It can feel bleak and gloomy, but it's also enlightening and uplifting. As with life and the two different mindsets of people, it's what side you choose to acknowledge. Disruption of continuity? This season connected perfectly with all the groundwork laid out in the first season. This show is not about Middletown or Miracle, it's about the world. There's a lot more detail that I'd like to get into, but I don't want to spoil it for folks not caught up. There's many pieces to the puzzle given to us, you just had to catch them. Especially the singing of Miracle's song at the end compared to the youths singing it at the start of the season.

By the way, I'm a huge fan of Alien 3, especially the Assembly Cut from Anthology boxset. Alien 3 is my favorite of the trilogy, Resurrection doesn't exist in my world.
    Last edited by neorev; 12-07-2015 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just started watching and binged through the show over the weekend. I did really enjoy it. I wouldn't exactly rave about it, but it's high points were amazing. I dug the 2nd season's transition to more of an ensemble show. I'm guessing it isn't going to get a third season, but I'd definitely watch it if it does. There were points where it seemed a little too close to Lost, but overall I enjoyed the show enough to keep watching through the weekend and not stop.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Don't know if it's already known but Season 3 will be the last.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Don't know if it's already known but Season 3 will be the last.
    Yes! I'm just glad that there will be a third season. HBO came through on this one.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Great news about getting a third season. Now they can give the show a proper ending.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Season 2 was so amazing and took this series to a whole other level.

Finishing my marathon in preparation for tomorrow night's third and final season premiere. So psyched!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I can't believe this show doesn't get as much love that it deserves here.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Great premiere!

echo echo echo echo

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Loved it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Yikes! i had to idea this was back. Gotta watch.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I thought it was really good. Can't wait to see what happens.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Glad to see Kevin Garvey Sr. getting his own episode. I was wondering what the hell he was doing in Australia this whole time.
    The guy in the desert with the VW beetle was intense.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This season has been on point

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Latest episode was great. Might be the best one yet this season. Chris Eccleston is doing a phenomenal job. The way he is able to balance tragedy and comedy in his performance is great fun to watch. The show has been getting better each season with how they have refined what it is and what it is trying to say. Kinda sad that this is the end.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Latest episode was great. Might be the best one yet this season. Chris Eccleston is doing a phenomenal job. The way he is able to balance tragedy and comedy in his performance is great fun to watch. The show has been getting better each season with how they have refined what it is and what it is trying to say. Kinda sad that this is the end.
    Oh, my God, it was perfect. TV is getting crazier and crazier, and I love it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    "That's the guy I was telling you about."
    Last edited by neorev; 05-17-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    "What's the difference between a pimple and a priest?

A pimple waits until you're 12 to come on your face."
    Last edited by neorev; 05-17-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Anyone speak French and know what the guy on the submarine is saying during the opening credits?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Anyone speak French and know what the guy on the submarine is saying during the opening credits?
    I don't remember specifically, but it was on Reddit. Basically his manifest about how the world is ending on the 7th anniversary of the Departure. 7 headed beasts coming to destroy everything or some such.

Regarding the show though - I've binged watched the entire thing in the past two weeks and HOLY SHIT. This is maybe one of my favorite shows now. I'm kinda devastated there are only 3 episodes left until it's gone forever. Ugh.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    This coming on at the same time and night as Twin Peaks is going to ruin me

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The direct line of pure unfettered emotion that has unwavered for the whole season (and perhaps, the entire show) so far feels like it was in some sense preparing you for last night's show. Amy Brenneman delivered on levels that were at times punctuated, a little mischevious, and just raw nerve sticking out. And not at the expense of other meaningful moments as well.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Beautiful ending to a wonderful show.