Page 288 of 528 FirstFirst ... 188 238 278 286 287 288 289 290 298 338 388 ... LastLast
Results 8,611 to 8,640 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I've always thought that too; picturing TR singing the lines in front of a live audience with all that energy.
    Don't forget about Ilan Rubin's drums. His drumming made the songs on Hesitation Marks sound even better, especially on Copy of A.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Well, on the plus side, if Trent was reading the recent responses to the HM criticism, then now he knows he could literally just go to the studio today, do some basic shit for a week, ask other musicians to do whatever the hell they want on his songs, make a cool cover, release the record and still get $$$. So, Trent, as you can see, you have absolutely no excuse to not release new NIN material!

Like, really, you ask me how do I know an album was uninspired when it has fucking Closer number 2 on it? No wonder Trent is releasing ambient music now, he slowly siphons away our brains, so we eventually put the bar so low for him, he can get away without working too hard. Genius indeed.

4 years from now on ETS:
    - Duuude, have you heard the new NIN track?
    - The 0:06 long one?
    - Yeaaaah. The man's back at it with full force! He pressed three (!!) keys on a synth. Just.... wow.

Bill, where are you m8? I just now realized having absolutely no touch with reality and expecting Trent to time travel is still better, than to settle with so little. I'm just glad for the irony, that Trent's most disappointing song ever is actually titled Disappointed. It's like the dude just knew if years after the release people grow on that shit, it would be hilaaaaaarious.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Well, on the plus side, if Trent was reading the recent responses to the HM criticism, then now he knows he could literally just go to the studio today, do some basic shit for a week, ask other musicians to do whatever the hell they want on his songs, make a cool cover, release the record and still get $$$. So, Trent, as you can see, you have absolutely no excuse to not release new NIN material!
    At least one person agrees with everything you said about Hesitation Marks. If anything I think you are too kind. I always thought it HM sounded like TR sketched out a dozen songs, freestyled some lyrics, and had other people flesh out the sound. It's like the first album where Trent played the role of "Executive Artist"

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Jesus @Volband stop getting so angry

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    - Duuude, have you heard the new NIN track?
    - The 0:06 long one?
    But I like Untitled alot, it really caps off the Head Like a Hole single perfectly.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    Don't forget about Ilan Rubin's drums. His drumming made the songs on Hesitation Marks sound even better, especially on Copy of A.
    Yes, that's the one thing that I thought could have broken up the electronic monotony of HM, let Rubin rip on the drums here and there, give the record some peaks and troughs with energy. The stagnant electronic drums really killed the momentum in tracks for me. Tracks from HM seem to shine a bit more in the live setting with a band performing. It helped bring out the more organic side of the album and not feel so cold and sterile. The album just never feels to peak at all. Closest we got was Everything, which honestly didn't bother me like some folk here. Everything just made me happy to get something abrasive and energetic for once. But that's it. It just doesn't hit like other NIN records for me. And as much as I wasn't into the later releases, Year Zero, The Slip, Ghosts, etc. at least had some moments where it hit hard. Trent has a way of making a record flow and capture you, but I just didn't get that with HM. I think having Rubin play bits of drums here and there would have helped break things up a bit. Also get Pino in the studio! He knew how to liven up the basslines. And I gotta say, they sounded great with those female singers. Trent needs to find a way to bring that live sound and energy into the studio. That's how it felt pre-Year Zero, like a real collaboration of people and finding and creating new sounds organically and electronically. But lately, it's just become Trent and Atticus alone together fiddling with knobs. I wish he would bring in more people like he does live to help expand the NIN palette. We've seen and heard what just him and Atticus can do.
    Last edited by neorev; 07-06-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    At least one person agrees with everything you said about Hesitation Marks. If anything I think you are too kind. I always thought it HM sounded like TR sketched out a dozen songs, freestyled some lyrics, and had other people flesh out the sound. It's like the first album where Trent played the role of "Executive Artist"
    Yay, let's suck eachother! Really though, as whiny as Trent's first record was:
    - he was still young
    - IT WAS MADE WITH BALLS. We can laugh about Kinda I Want To, That's What I Get, The Only Time, or the stolen Dig It, but the guy - yes the guy who ~25 years later could not come up with but one original idea - made hits like Terrible Lie and Head Like A Hole, and let's not forget Something I Could Never Have, which stood the test of time so well, that song alone pisses on HM in its entirety if we talk about balls and creativity.

And the absolute saddest thing? Imagine someone telling Trent Reznor back in the end of the 80s, while he was staring down all the synths and uitars and whatnot while being in the studio, that one day, one motherfucking day he will say "I could sit here and create the sickest sounds and melodies... but I'm just gonne go with some stripped down brainless beat, because how cool is that, right? Not actually doing anything." He would've cried himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Jesus @Volband stop getting so angry
    Hah, thanks for looking out for me, but it's just an act - I am somewhat passionate about this, but I'm only mad about Juno, and not due to its quality. I do mean what I say, but I already said HM is an 8 for me, it's just you guys just can't accept for what it is. Or maybe I'm wrong, who knows, I'm all out for playing this game. What took more effort, And All That Could Have Been (song) or I Would For You? What's the better version of Closer? Closer or All Time Low? What was more innovative, Trent using the swarmatron for Copy Of A, whch he already used with HTDA, or when he released a stripped down EP (Still) - edit: should've said Year Zero probably, Still was more of a "let's do something I did not do before!", you know, something Copy Of A is not. What is worse, the music or the lyrics in Disappointed? Find My Way has nice lyrics, yea? Imagine if Trent at least gave half the fucks into the music around it as he did with Even Deeper for example. CBH is Discipline number 2, but at least he went apeshit with the electronics so that track is fine in my books, but still, it's a carbon copy electronic version of Discipline. In Two lyrically starngely reminds of a NIN song where the protagonist struggles with his inner demon, who becomes over him. Dang it, wish I could remember it! Running is a good idea ruined by not giving a fuck. Satellite is the one track which sounds original and could've stand its ground on an actual new NIN record. Absolutely no surprise that the song had nothing to do with the HM recording sessions.

Just accept that a record can be good AND uninspired at the same time. Comments like "I like HM" or "It's one of my fav. records!" have nothing to do with its quality.

edit: oh yeah, and Everything could also be a standalone song but I really don't think that it needs to be mentioned anymore.
    Last edited by Volband; 07-06-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Am I really supposed to be upset that NASA asked a nerdy guy to make a song for them and he said "you fuckin' got it"? Juno was quite literally a time-sensitive special historical event thing and I don't really think Trent went "This is to tide everybody over!"

Some people are really eager to get bitchy about everything that isn't exactly what they wish somebody else would make even though it's not even like these things are really keeping us from getting something else, anyway. People think HM sounds uninspired yet they want Trent to bunker down and just force out another NIN record as if that wouldn't be the living definition of uninspired? I just don't get it. I don't even care about Juno -- I doubt I'll listen to it again outside of possible TR&AR binge sessions someday -- but I don't feel "offended" or "mad" or, really, anything other than a shrug about it. "Huh, that's neat they got to do that; it's not really my thing, but not everything is always going to be." Not "This fucking cunt what a sell-out corporate fuckbag arharrrraaaah his haircut's shitty and we all know he's dying it, the liar"

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    The annoying part is that he doesn't do shit with NIN, yet he keeps throwing out vague promises when he can't even keep his literal promises either. Just say you are done with it Trent, instead of putting false hopes into that. The dude would sooner write an OST for an peach tree than to do something with the NIN project.

However, there is only one thing that would seriously infuriate me. If Trent dares to pass away before he writes an autobiography.... holy shit, I'm sure I'd be so mad, I'd write at least 2 comments here on ETS. And that is, my friends, a threat. I ain't no pussy afraid of doing it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    And the absolute saddest thing? Imagine someone telling Trent Reznor back in the end of the 80s, while he was staring down all the synths and uitars and whatnot while being in the studio, that one day, one motherfucking day he will say "I could sit here and create the sickest sounds and melodies... but I'm just gonne go with some stripped down brainless beat, because how cool is that, right? Not actually doing anything." He would've cried himself.
    I think if you told him 20 years ago he'd be working with David Fincher, David Lynch (again) and the NASA he'd be quite excited. He had score projects in the past, although they didn't work out like TSN.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    If Trent dares to pass away before he writes an autobiography.... holy shit, I'm sure I'd be so mad
    Oh, seeing the state of this thread, I expect a whole lot of butthurt either way.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Oh, seeing the state of this thread, I expect a whole lot of butthurt either way.
    I don't, actually. I highly doubt we'd be seeing actual new NIN material this year, or ever, who knows. Cargo in blood, TF and WT instrumentals... NIN is just promotion and/or cashgrab now. I don't think i'm capable anymore to feel let down. TDS mega-remastered version? PHM instrumentals (rare edition)? NIN DVD eventually released and pretend it shpuld not have happened fucking 2 years ago? Nah, these shit would not even phase me. And I'm not even blaming the guy, I'd probably do the same. Scoring interests him more, more money, no tour-fatigue and expenses, while giving bones to the old fans.

Also, is HM was the pinnacle NIN material Trent could make now, then I don't even want new songs. Give me my TF reissue and go on one last tour, don't beat the dead horse.

edit: also, at least we can see some passion here! I'm happy for everyone who contributes!
    Last edited by Volband; 07-06-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I was talking about the autobiography idea, which is something so far removed from my own interests that I actually never even thought about it until now.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    But wouldn't you read it like a million times? This whole freakin' epic journey from Trent's eyes with brutal honesty. It could be the basis of a movie about Trent; I'M being serious now, he is one of the very few legends who - even if by sheer luck - to not kill himself AND get clean AND remain just as relevant after that as before. Sure, the majority of the movie would be about the beginning of the Broken era till the end of The Fragile era.

The director? Bowie's son. BOOM.

Now, back to Juno.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Yes, that's the one thing that I thought could have broken up the electronic monotony of HM, let Rubin rip on the drums here and there, give the record some peaks and troughs with energy. The stagnant electronic drums really killed the momentum in tracks for me. Tracks from HM seem to shine a bit more in the live setting with a band performing. It helped bring out the more organic side of the album and not feel so cold and sterile. The album just never feels to peak at all. Closest we got was Everything, which honestly didn't bother me like some folk here. Everything just made me happy to get something abrasive and energetic for once. But that's it. It just doesn't hit like other NIN records for me. And as much as I wasn't into the later releases, Year Zero, The Slip, Ghosts, etc. at least had some moments where it hit hard. Trent has a way of making a record flow and capture you, but I just didn't get that with HM. I think having Rubin play bits of drums here and there would have helped break things up a bit. Also get Pino in the studio! He knew how to liven up the basslines. And I gotta say, they sounded great with those female singers. Trent needs to find a way to bring that live sound and energy into the studio. That's how it felt pre-Year Zero, like a real collaboration of people and finding and creating new sounds organically and electronically. But lately, it's just become Trent and Atticus alone together fiddling with knobs. I wish he would bring in more people like he does live to help expand the NIN palette. We've seen and heard what just him and Atticus can do.
    I'd be curious to hear what happened with the new producer they got in for a while to mix things up, even though Trent said it didn't work I wonder if some people here might prefer that

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    But wouldn't you read it like a million times?
    Maybe. Maybe just once.

Yeah no.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Maybe. Maybe just once.

Yeah no.
    If you would not even be interested in it, I'd be curious why. We're talking about an honest book, of course, not where the shady details and rumours remain.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    ...We've heard it all before in better versions...
    A complaint that we’ve heard before as well. This very complaint, some of the good folks of nin fandom have levied against practically every nin album following TDS. Even a masterpiece like The Fragile in the minds of many never made it out of the shadow of TDS.

There is nothing at all wrong with not liking these albums. But if that’s the case, then maybe it’s time that said folks consider the likely possibility that they really just don’t like nin, because this is what nin has been since the very beginning.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    If you would not even be interested in it, I'd be curious why. We're talking about an honest book, of course, not where the shady details and rumours remain.
    Well for one because Reznor is not the kind of flamboyant rock star capable of "writing" a compelling autobiographical account, I suspect. Nerdy history of the evolution of synths and plug-ins, sure. The underbelly of the avant-garde/industrial/experimental music of the 80/90s, I don't think so.

But most of all, because I'm here for the music. I like the guy, but I really don't care about his life, and even less about his own account on it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The annoying part is that he doesn't do shit with NIN, yet he keeps throwing out vague promises when he can't even keep his literal promises either. Just say you are done with it Trent, instead of putting false hopes into that. The dude would sooner write an OST for an peach tree than to do something with the NIN project.

However, there is only one thing that would seriously infuriate me. If Trent dares to pass away before he writes an autobiography.... holy shit, I'm sure I'd be so mad, I'd write at least 2 comments here on ETS. And that is, my friends, a threat. I ain't no pussy afraid of doing it.

You must've been the most insufferable person when Trent kept giving "vague promises" between TDS and TF, huh.

I swear to Christ so many people have short-term memories when it comes to things Trent Reznor has mentioned in passing vs. what's eventually released and it's insane. I wasn't even a fan back then and I feel like I've internalized it more than a lot of people have. This is the guy who in 1999 talked up wanting to do some other band with female vocals and that promise didn't deliver until a decade later.

Are you just bitchy he does scoring now or something? Because Quake must've put some real sand in your pants. And, God, Lost Highway must've been a real nightmare along with Natural Born Killers. I suppose every time he mentioned countlessly across his entire career an interest in film-composing you thought he was bluffing. Or, wait, I thought you were mad he can't "keep his promises"? He sure kept those.

Besides, the only "vague promises" he's supposedly "kept throwing out" was a whole one (!) tweet. It's the start of July. We have half of a calendar year left until he "can't even keep his literal promises" on new NIN in 2016. You're sounding like a dramatic troll more than anything at this point and it's just so not conductive to discussion whatsoever, and I'm not even bringing up you suggesting that liking ambient music somehow makes you lesser-brained or that people only like Closer to gain "fandom cred" (which, holy mother of Closer to God, if you think people are basing their likes and dislikes off of what people on a forum will think then that says more about you than anybody else).

Also as far as I'm concerned Trent's already written a great autobiography and it's called the discography of Nine Inch Nails and it tells his story as well as I think he ever could with his skillset. I really don't need another "seedy account of what it was REALLY like" by somebody who isn't a prose-based writer or author with "assistance" (see: ghostwriting) by an actual music journalist or editor dusting up my bookcase.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Geee, kleiner, aren't you the savior here, pulling bits and pieces from things I said and mold it in a preachy way! You just wrote the biggest Like-hunter post that could have been done; just check back to my first part of "Juno review" which was done by the viewpoint of the insufferable "Trent Is A GOD" perspective.

But to answer to your good questions, no, I would've had no problems with NBK and TLH, because he actually made Nine Inch Nails songs for them too, and pretty good ones as well.

No, you are not stupud for liking ambient music, you are stupid - *warning: my opinion* - if you think HM is not just a copy of a copy of a copy of a... Someone said people were comparing everything to TDS. Duuuuuuuuude, not the point. I don't care if TDS is da bomb or not, with HM Trent put a stop to half the things which made NIN what it was. The songs still had the boogie, they were still catchy, it's a good album for God's sake, but it's safe, non-innovative, not exciting, not daring, it's just what it is: the first factory produced NIN material.

Also, what do you want me to say? Sorry for having my hopes up, the the dude, three years after he promised he will release a DVD which partially can be watched on youtube for 3 years now, now hints on even more NIN, but nothing ever happens?! Like, I'm all for riding Mr. Reznor's dick, but aren'T you the guy, if by December 31st nothing new NIN would come out (some bullshit 5th edition of an album or EP doesn't count, or stuff like cargo on blood, broah), would say "geeee, big deal!!! he does whatever he wants!!! leave trent alone!!!"

If I'm a troll, then you are like my pretentious counterpart. I'm obviously half-serious about the stuff I'm throwing at Trent, I respect him a lot, but come on, you act like a fan, any fan should feel bad about themselves if they feel they'd deserve some NEW material, or at least matrial that was PROMISED, and not be the douche who starts off "weeeell, technically he did not promise it!" or some shit.

edit: as for Closer, I think it's a masterpiece, because on the surface, it's just a song about lust, basic instincts, but man, if you look deep, you see desperation and agony. what a goddamned well-orchestrated piece of art that track is. Have you guys heard it? Here, listen to it at least once, amazing! :

edit 2: for real though, if you do not get what my problem was with Closer (not the song), then read what other people said about it. some of them got what I meant - which is not to criticize your intelligence, I don't blame anyone who gets lost in my messy style.
    Last edited by Volband; 07-06-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    It's like TR made a video for his new ambient track, slammed it on Vevo channel as HERE'S OUR BRAND NEW SINGLE!! Yeah, no. What's with all the drama then?
    Does @Volband honestly, honestly think this track is distracting Trent from making new record?
    For all we know, the last several albums were released in "I was being less than honest, here's a new album" way. You should know better by now not to expect any updates until the record is 100% done and ready to go. There's whole 6 months left in the year, jeez.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I'd be curious to hear what happened with the new producer they got in for a while to mix things up, even though Trent said it didn't work I wonder if some people here might prefer that
    I never knew about this. Does anyone have any more info about this? I'm guessing Trent didn't say his name. Sounds interesting.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I never knew about this. Does anyone have any more info about this? I'm guessing Trent didn't say his name. Sounds interesting.
    It's mentioned here but he goes into detail in the In Conversation With extra on the itunes HM
    http://www.stereogum.com/1715900/tre...ng-music/news/

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @Volband never in my life have I posted on here with some formula to get likes and you're taking the internet too seriously if you do.

I've mildly complained before about the Tension blu ray and still find that whole situation to be bullshit. If nothing new billed as NIN came out by the end of the year I'd be mildly disappointed by it. I'm highly lukewarm towards How to Destroy Angels and rarely listen to the film scores outside of the same handful of songs. But I don't run around acting like an asshole about it or getting all worked up because there are plenty of other great artists I love releasing music I'm into and a wealth of stuff I've still yet to hear and then every other facet of my life keeping me busy and satisfied. My happiness and fulfillment isn't dependent on Trent Reznor doing what I want him to 24/7.

I just don't see the constructive point in huffing and puffing in an angsty manner over whether or not some artist is making what I wish they'd make and behaving as if I'm somehow more enlightened by not liking things.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Noticing how The Slip devolves into borefest after Head Down..... should have just made a cool EP out of the first songs...but also keep Demon Seed minus the shit vocals before T T T T tolerate you.

to clarify: I also like the T T T T T Tolerate you part. It's the whispered vocals up to that point that I don't like.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 07-06-2016 at 08:45 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Nooooo I love the tttttt tolerate you part. It stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Nooooo I love the tttttt tolerate you part. It stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I enjoy it too.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    If everyone heard the live band play Everything then I bet everyone would warm up to it. I personally enjoy the song. It's a a guitar song that doesn't have any guitar on it and that's what bothers people.
    it bothers people because it's a terrible song. has it ever gotten radio airplay since week 1? probably not, cuz nobody is going to request that shit.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Noticing how The Slip devolves into borefest after Head Down.....
    I'll give you Corona Radiata, though I personally love that track too, but LitS and The Four of Us Are Dying are bloody amazing. (And I love how Corona Radiata ties the two together, though I can see how that one might bore someone.) The back half of The Slip is one of the main reasons I love that album so much.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    has it ever gotten radio airplay since week 1? probably not, cuz nobody is going to request that shit.
    I certainly hope we're not going to start basing our opinion of the quality of NIN tracks (or, you know, music in general) by what gets played on the radio.