Page 278 of 528 FirstFirst ... 178 228 268 276 277 278 279 280 288 328 378 ... LastLast
Results 8,311 to 8,340 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    It's so intense, I will fight anyone who disagrees that this is the best opening for a NIN show. Happened at my first show (Erie 06), and it's just an experience you never forget.
    I was there, and I concur.

I put on Tension: 2013 tonight, and as I was making dinner while watching and listening I thought "man, I kind of think Trent is done. And I'm kind of OK with that."

Now dinner is finished, and as Hurt is ending, I can't comprehend how wrong I was. I'd love another tour, with a new spin on NIN. Lisa and Sharlotte were dope additions, and on revisiting, just what was needed to freshen up the act and bring new life to the new work, along with classics. I don't know.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    The New Flesh/Pinion -> Mr. Self Destruct.

I'd take any news at this point! My brother and I are dying over here! Like most, I have dug into the archives and just can't seem to get away from the club 2005 shows. All just raw power and intense.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Getting slightly irritated by those on Genius who are missing the obvious on a few NIN songs.
    Closer and March Of The Pigs for example. Or am I missing subtext?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    The New Flesh/Pinion -> Mr. Self Destruct.

I'd take any news at this point! My brother and I are dying over here! Like most, I have dug into the archives and just can't seem to get away from the club 2005 shows. All just raw power and intense.
    The New Flesh/Pinion as an intro has always been one of those forgotten but great starts. I saw a video of it on YouTube and it's really eerie. Just that loop of The New Flesh playing as people find their seats with the house lights on, only the die hards probably knew the track, then the lights go off? Must have been crazy. Trent is really good at building up to a performance.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 05-11-2016 at 04:09 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    The New Flesh/Pinion as an intro has always been one of those forgotten but great starts. I saw a video of it on YouTube and it's really eerie. Just that loop of The New Flesh playing as people find their seats with the house lights on, only the die hards probably knew the track, then the lights go off? Must have been crazy. Trent is really good at building up to a performance.
    Totally. I do sometimes wish they'd actually have used the proper song though, and go into TL right after.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    just sitting in the dark for 3 minutes of Pinion until you get blasted up the ass with Mr. Self Destruct.
    lmao... That was great.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    I always wanted them to use full version of The New Flesh. Start it pre-recorded, and then segue in live guitars, drums and vocals for the second part

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    That bizarre TDS/New Flesh combo they were doing in Europe in 2014 was pretty incredible to hear, I really would love to see something like TNF done in full live someday (but I get why it hasn't been, it would be weird to do live and I'm sure considering Trent's comments on not liking to revisit some headspaces that a song that dark is one he isn't eager to sing).

I still think not doing 10 Miles High before All Time Low on the Tension tour was an enormous missed opportunity. It's too perfect thematically and Lisa and Charlotte could've really helped make that song work in a way that I think it couldn't with just Trent. Plus Pino could've wrecked that thing.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    That bizarre TDS/New Flesh combo they were doing in Europe in 2014 was pretty incredible to hear, I really would love to see something like TNF done in full live someday (but I get why it hasn't been, it would be weird to do live and I'm sure considering Trent's comments on not liking to revisit some headspaces that a song that dark is one he isn't eager to sing).

I still think not doing 10 Miles High before All Time Low on the Tension tour was an enormous missed opportunity. It's too perfect thematically and Lisa and Charlotte could've really helped make that song work in a way that I think it couldn't with just Trent. Plus Pino could've wrecked that thing.
    In that playlist of basically every NIN song that's been performed live that came out awhile back, there was a pretty much full version of The New Flesh in there (with Trent singing at least parts of the song). I have no idea what tour it was from to find it individually to link you to, all I can find on youtube is the short instrumental version that melds into Pinion that we have on AATCHB.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Why why why would Apple think about killing off iTunes sales?
    http://www.techinsider.io/report-app...wnloads-2016-5
    Sometimes I wish TR would make his thoughts on some of this clear, it seems he's not allowed to say anything that's not party line now he works for them

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    In that playlist of basically every NIN song that's been performed live that came out awhile back, there was a pretty much full version of The New Flesh in there (with Trent singing at least parts of the song). I have no idea what tour it was from to find it individually to link you to, all I can find on youtube is the short instrumental version that melds into Pinion that we have on AATCHB.
    IIRC it was just that version but with Trent screaming "Give it toooomeeeeee I can... fucking... TAKE IT" from the Drunk In Japan leg of the Fragility 1.0 tour.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    IIRC it was just that version but with Trent screaming "Give it toooomeeeeee I can... fucking... TAKE IT" from the Drunk In Japan leg of the Fragility 1.0 tour.
    Definitely. It's one of those blown-outta-proportion things the pseudo-nerds like to repeat, like "huhuhu that Pinion version with Tront singing FLUSH! FLUSH!" when it's very clearly some bizarre backmasked vocal layer getting fucked up live just like the other layers of the track.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I bet he said the same thing in bed later that night with Leo.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Definitely. It's one of those blown-outta-proportion things the pseudo-nerds like to repeat, like "huhuhu that Pinion version with Tront singing FLUSH! FLUSH!" when it's very clearly some bizarre backmasked vocal layer getting fucked up live just like the other layers of the track.
    That's the Bowie sample! "SHUT UP" from the end of "It's No Game Part 1" in reverse.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    That's the Bowie sample! "SHUT UP" from the end of "It's No Game Part 1" in reverse.
    When was this?
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 05-12-2016 at 03:30 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    It was at Woodstock '94 notably, iirc.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It's there every time the old-school version of "Pinion" is used as a set intro (not the variations where it's mixed with something else). That sample is on the studio recording, too, but mixed down way lower in the background.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Why why why would Apple think about killing off iTunes sales?
    http://www.techinsider.io/report-app...wnloads-2016-5
    Sometimes I wish TR would make his thoughts on some of this clear, it seems he's not allowed to say anything that's not party line now he works for them
    That would be a terrible decision. Why would they do that? They're putting all their eggs in the "streaming" basket and it'll blow up in their face.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It's there every time the old-school version of "Pinion" is used as a set intro (not the variations where it's mixed with something else). That sample is on the studio recording, too, but mixed down way lower in the background.
    Interesting. I never noticed it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The Apple Music redesign will feature new music, including something from the Reznor camp. This is a presumption

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    The last time this came up, sometime in the past year or so, I think, someone here was kind enough to link me to the specific IRC chat post from Reznor himself explaining the Bowie/"Pinion" sample...but I don't recall him or anyone else mentioning that the core guitar riff of the song was sampled from "It's No Game Pt. 1" as well, which very much seems to be the case.

Did he actually mention that way back then, too?

Thanks, I just can't find it with my phone to check for myself and I'm wondering if I maybe just forgot that part or if the sampling of the guitar itself is even generally acknowledged.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yes, on Prodigy: http://www.theninhotline.net/archive...cle.php?id=327

The Hotline claims this is from 1991 but I believe it's actually late 1992.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is www.nin.com down for everyone or just me?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    That would be a terrible decision. Why would they do that? They're putting all their eggs in the "streaming" basket and it'll blow up in their face.
    It just seems counter productive to get rid of any method of paying for music. But maybe the report is bollocks?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMass View Post
    Seems to be for me, you can still access the old forums though but clicking on 'home' leads to a blank screen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Could it mean anything? AND, if it did, how quickly would someone relate the downtime to the radiohead pages going blank a few weeks back? The bands always seem to be compared with release/media approaches.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Got it, thanks!

during 'pinion', the yelling and dissonant guitars in

the background are from the end of 'it's no game' on David
    Bowie's 'scary monsters' record. (played backwards)
    So, yeah...I just forgot, lol.

That said, the mention of the sampled, "dissonant guitars in the background" of "Pinion" stemming from the END of "It's No Game Pt. 1" seems to suggest an inaccuracy in the way he worded it.

Not to second guess the artist or underestimate his studio wizardry, but to MY ears at least it sounds A LOT like the main guitar loop of "Pinion" is sampled from the riffing beneath the Japanese vocals at the start of the second verse at about the 1:20-something mark, at least one example of which seems to already be largely, and conveniently, isolated from the other instruments in the original recording.

Just a thought!

Anyone else hearing that?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMass View Post
    Down for me as well.

OMG!
    NEW ALBUM?
    THE END OF NINE INCH NAILS AS WE KNOW IT?
    WHAT COULD IT MEEEEEAAAAANNNN?!?!
    WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!?!
    *endless screaming*

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    So, I hadn't listened to this in a whi-- 1:44-1:50 SURPRISE HAPPINESS IN SLAVERY

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    as of 2:30 EST, it's still down...