Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC Extended Universe Thread

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Watched the extended edition of Suicide Squad the other night. First time seeing it. Jeez, was it f'n terrible. It was cheesy and just not well done... the editing, the pacing, storytelling all mishandled. The we want to be Guardians Of The Galaxy/Deadpool pop music felt so out of place and thrown in last minute. It's like they filmed a darker, more serious movie and tried, terribly, to make it more fun and edgy in post. The Joker was lame. The main villain even lamer. Harley Quinn had a couple of funny moments, but that's it. The Joker/Harley Quinn love story was ehhh. I can't imagine how much less of Joker scenes there must have been with the theatrical cut cuz he's barely in the extended lol. It all just felt wasted. Perhaps there is a better movie buried somewhere in there before all of the studio meddling. This and Ghostbusters are absolute trainwrecks... can't decide which one was worse. WB needs to get their crap together because each movie seems to be even worse than the one before it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    And yet they're making money. It's a weird one.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    And yet they're making money. It's a weird one.
    Making money doesn't equal a good movie...
    there are good movies that sadly didn't make much money.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I wonder if there's an assembled cut of the film of what was done before the re-shoots as I'm sure there was a lot that seemed promising until Warners fucked it all up.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    They re-shot A LOT to dumb down the tone of the film. I imagine it was much more sinister and dark before they "lightened it" up.

I still liked the film.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    For sure, but as long as they make money WB isn't going to change much.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I do like The Flash's look in the movies.

Finally rented Suicide Squad this weekend, holy crap was that a terrible movie. Really didn't like Leto's Joker, for what little time he was actually in the movie.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 12-20-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well, it begins. Reports surfacing saying production on The Batman has been delayed a few months, and that the Justice League movie is currently a "mess". Sigh...at least there's a cool new picture online?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    best d.c. has to offer so far the lego movie
    -louie

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    oh man it is getting tiresome to hear that every DC movie in the works is reported to be a "mess" by some anonymous source. Yet, I acutally do not have high hopes for everything coming out of the DCEU at the moment although the Wonder Woman trailer looked rather promising. I was hoping for Affleck's Batman movie to rock, but hearing that Margot Robbie is getting her own movie doesn't color me excited either.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/wonde...s-like-a148248

So it continues. Can't wait for Lego Batman.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Affleck officially stepping down as director of 'The Batman'. Will star and produce still...for now. Says he couldn't do it justice without devoting everything to the role. I'm getting a bad feeling about this...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    so is everybody else.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Sigh...at least there's a cool new picture online?
    Why does Gal Gadot look like a mannequin on that photo? Zooming in the full image gave me the creeps. Bad job there, Mr. Photoshop Guy.

Okay, this is all turning into a big joke. DC keeps trying to make "superhero masterpieces" or whatever, and yet they keep failing every single time. Even Marvel haters have to admit that Marvel, at least, gets things done quickly and competently. Even if one of their films or series is meh, they will quickly move on to the next one. DC has to go big and grand, because that's what people expect from Batman and Superman. But the Nolan well has run dry. If Justice League fails, people won't care about The Batman and everything else that DC has plans for will get the (re)boot.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I think people should give up and read , you know, an actual comic book.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Read a very strange rumor that Affleck might be giving up on Batman entirely, to include acting even. That kind of kills a lot of movies wouldn't it?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I've heard that too, it seems like maybe there's a lot going on behind closed doors that's gonna end up making this thing crash and burn...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    It's the brass at Warner Brothers and at DC as they have no idea what they want to do. It's as if they want something original when really, they just want something that is safe.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i think as a whole marvel has characters that are more interesting and make for better movies, even with bumbling dumb sony at the helm.
    -louie

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I went n saw The Lego Batman Movie last night. All those pithy reviews saying its the best Batman film in years? They are right. It is definitely very silly, I don't understand how Will Arnett could resist adding "..with club sauce." to the end of all of his lines. It is a colourful, joyful, fun watch.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    i think as a whole marvel has characters that are more interesting and make for better movies, even with bumbling dumb sony at the helm.
    -louie
    I guess it has more to do with the fact that DC movies have been around for a lot longer and appeared here and there with Batman and Superman having their own little franchises. DC lacks the build-up that Marvel has done and that made people care about characters that weren't THAT obvious or sometimes not even known to casual comic fans or non-comic book readers. At least that's how it looks to me.

Yet Marvel throws some new things into the mix as well without a huge build up. Guardians of the Galaxy is quite similar to something like Suicide Squad character wise, yet one totally blew peoples minds and one got carried away. Then came Dr Strange as a whole new hero and while a lot of its success has to do with Mr Cumberbatch that movie managed to succeed as well. I am very curious about what will happen with DC and the already established characters. Will we really get to see that Harley Quinn spin-off or are they shutting it down along the way? What happens with Justice League after the two movies and will Aquaman as well as the Flash finally start shooting?

It appears to me that they absolutely don't have a time line in mind and are just trying to find a way to release these movies and pay the characters justice. While I LOVE the design for most of the DCEU heroes so far it's a jumbled mess right now.

My only real hope is that stand alone Batman movie which is apparently just another case of the studios not knowing what to do. They are standing in their own way and seem to be indeed playing it safe as thevoid mentioned.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I dont expect WB to make an extensive film universe like Marvel has made. I think we are only seeing these movies and thats it. I feel bad for them because they are constantly being compared to what marvel is doing and then fanboys on both sides show extreme criticism to DC. It sucks because I always looked at DC at the ones that arent afraid to do something different with their movies instead following a formula. And pop culture posers just give them shit.

Also, anything Marvel has done has nothing on Batman 89 nor The Dark Knight.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I dont expect WB to make an extensive film universe like Marvel has made. I think we are only seeing these movies and thats it. I feel bad for them because they are constantly being compared to what marvel is doing and then fanboys on both sides show extreme criticism to DC. It sucks because I always looked at DC at the ones that arent afraid to do something different with their movies instead following a formula. And pop culture posers just give them shit.

Also, anything Marvel has done has nothing on Batman 89 nor The Dark Knight.
    I agree (Marvel's rinse-and-repeat formula is becoming stale), but you have to admit the last few DC movies have been formulaic in a different way than Marvel's: they all try to ape the Nolan films. The drab, brooding colors, lots of violence, incredible seriousness, loud and bombastic music without a single memorable theme and, of course, too much shit happening. And, believe me, I would be fine with all of that if, at least, they had a solid, engaging plot. Great actors can't save poorly written dialog and characters.

The funny thing is, David Ayer probably did try to do something different with Suicide Squad, but WB had to alter it in order to appeal to the masses. Sure, the fans hate them for it, but they did save their asses financially, and the movie was a big box office hit. So was BvS. Let's face it: even if WW, Justice League and The Batman end up sucking ass, they will still make lots of money, and I assume that's what WB seems to care about now. So DC has no other choice but to please their WB bosses.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I'm really pulling for Wonder Woman to be the shining light to this franchise. I hope that movie kicks so much ass.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Yeah quite looking forward to that as well and for a strange reason, really looking forward to Aquaman althought that is still miles away. And man, I really want to see Deathstroke in full action on the big screen, so I hope the Batman will indeed get on track. So far I am really tired of the comic book genre as a whole and Guardians 2 seems like the only shining light for me right now.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

The DC Extended Universe Thread

Well, Matt Reeves is being reported as the new director for The Batman. Pretty much a done deal at this point. Also a script was turned in that Affleck approves. Seems like things are back on track for this movie.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Well, Matt Reeves is being reported as the new director for The Batman. Pretty much a done deal at this point. Also a script was turned in that Affleck approves. Seems like things are back on track for this movie.
    Well this is getting interesting. I was a bit down about Affleck backing out as director, but understand his decision. This has gotten me excited again. I couldn't believe fans were actually petitioning for Zack Snyder.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    To be fair, the only good word of mouth that came from the naysayers of bvs were that they liked Ben affleck batman. I think batman would have been more of snyders bag than let's say a superman. Even though I thought both man of steel and bvs were pretty cool movies.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So uhh, yeah. Warner Bros apparently wants uhh...Sucicide Squad 2 to be directed by uhh...yeahhhh.

Mel Gibson.