Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Static-X covers Terrible Lie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Static-X covers Terrible Lie

Static-X just released a cover of "Terrible Lie" for Project Regeneration Vol 2. which they say is the last album to have Wayne's vocals on the tracks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    Static-X just released a cover of "Terrible Lie" for Project Regeneration Vol 2. which they say is the last album to have Wayne's vocals on the tracks.

LOL, the cookie monster/NIN mashup we've all been waiting for.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azad_ninja View Post
    I clicked play on the video because of this comment. Holy shit is this spot on and makes this absolutely hilarious!!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    "I feel mah hatrfeceahjghdfg grow alla mallaesteem"

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I listened up to the first verse and had to stop because I was laughing too hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Now I want someone to upload a video with a Cookie Monster puppet singing this LOL!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I mean, it sounds exactly like what you'd expect a Static-X song would sound like. And I like them (doing their own material).
    This cover though... Wayne probably made the right call to not put it out when he was in charge.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Now I want someone to upload a video with a Cookie Monster puppet singing this LOL!
    The concept really writes itself. Enter Cookie Monster reaching into his cookie jar only to realize the horrifying truth: even though said jar is labeled "Cookies," there are in fact no cookies in the jar. Queue his angry retort to the "Terrible Lie" as he searches the rest of his home for the cookies he was promised.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, at least that cover is better than the one that Trixter did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "eh, maybe we just won't figure out the arpeggiated notes in the chorus" - every band covering Terrible Lie, ever

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amplific View Post
    "eh, maybe we just won't figure out the arpeggiated notes in the chorus" - every band covering Terrible Lie, ever
    The Guenter Schulz & En Esch does pretty well...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The classic "awful metal version of a cool song".

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I like some of the electronics & drum sounds etc used in their version, but Wayne's vocals are ridiculous in this, and I really hated that fast part to kick off the song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I really hated that fast part to kick off the song.
    Yeah, it's not even a smooth transition. Also, did they omit HEY GOD! from the song, or is my hearing failing me?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I like some of the electronics & drum sounds etc used in their version, but Wayne's vocals are ridiculous in this, and I really hated that fast part to kick off the song.
    Are you serious? You realise Wayne is dead and they got these vocals from old demo tapes right?

Yeah, it's not even a smooth transition. Also, did they omit HEY GOD! from the song, or is my hearing failing me?
    Why does that matter? They did their own thing with it. The lyrics aren't exactly what the original was all the way through. The best covers are the ones where bands do it their way and don't try and make it sound exactly like the original. This is classic static-x. It won't be for everyone, but trust me, Static-X fans are stoked for it. They will have had limited vocals from I guess a demo they found in Wayne's stuff. Pretty amazing they made it sound this good. I fucking love the cover, i'm surprised there's so much hate here, everywhere else seems really positive.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voidnz View Post
    Are you serious? You realise Wayne is dead and they got these vocals from old demo tapes right?
    It probably should have stayed as a demo. I'm sure their fans like it, and good on them, but it just sounds like every nu-metal cover I've heard.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It probably should have stayed as a demo. I'm sure their fans like it, and good on them, but it just sounds like every nu-metal cover I've heard.
    Yeah, I agree with that. I don't see how the fact they grabbed the vocals from earlier recordings is actually relevant, and even taking into account the fact that it's a Static-X version, the vocals aren't good. That cover isn't good.

And I'm all for bands doing their own thing with songs, in fact I'd rather have that than bad copies of the originals. But it's like 3TEETH's cover of "pumped up kicks" ; you're just putting the song through your own filter, and it doesn't do anything interesting with it. Okay, now we have Terrible Lie with heavier guitars and nu metal drums, coolsies. It's somewhat even worse, because an industrial band covering an industrial song may be the least intriguing thing ever.

Static-X fans are thrilled because it's more Static-X (and more power to them, no stones tossed there), not because it's an awesome cover. We'd react the same way to a NIN-ified cover of Dig It...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I totally forgot Wayne passed away. So that video footage is cobbled from other sources? A stand-in with crazy hair?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I totally forgot Wayne passed away. So that video footage is cobbled from other sources? A stand-in with crazy hair?
    I think they've been touring with a new singer in a zombie Wayne Static mask

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    And I'm all for bands doing their own thing with songs, in fact I'd rather have that than bad copies of the originals. But it's like 3TEETH's cover of "pumped up kicks" ; you're just putting the song through your own filter, and it doesn't do anything interesting with it. Okay, now we have Terrible Lie with heavier guitars and nu metal drums, coolsies. It's somewhat even worse, because an industrial band covering an industrial song may be the least intriguing thing ever.
    Yep, pretty much. And generic RAWR! vocals just don't work with the song either. Trent's vocals work because you can hear the disdain and disappointment and anger that he's talking about with the lyrics. There's a little more depth to them. It's not just a straight up blast of rage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    That's pretty metal. Nu or otherwise

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I find it kind of sad actually. Not pathetic, simply sad. There's a band who lost their very iconic frontman and founder, there's this singer who's fronting for a well-known and respected band... And it's all off. I hope for everyone involved that the transition will get better with time, because this kind of masquerade feels morbid and depressing, in my opinion...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    it's Edsel from Dope. He finally admit it recently, within the last couple of months.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I find it kind of sad actually. Not pathetic, simply sad. There's a band who lost their very iconic frontman and founder, there's this singer who's fronting for a well-known and respected band... And it's all off. I hope for everyone involved that the transition will get better with time, because this kind of masquerade feels morbid and depressing, in my opinion...
    You sound like you don't have any idea on what the story is at all.....so i'll fill you in.

Static-X got back together to celebrate 20 years since Wisconsin Death Trip. The band wanted to do this but not have a new singer or use any hologram gimmick shit. Edsel Dope who was a friend of Wayne's and was going to be involved with getting Wayne back with the band before he died. He then was called in to help them find a singer etc. They decided to honour Wayne rather than replace him and the whole reason Edsel doesn't identify himself is because him being the singer isn't the point. It could be anyone in the mask, the point is to honour Wayne and not replace him - no one can grasp the concept but it's very simple. I think it's actually a very tactful way to do it given they have the full support of Wayne's family to continue the band in this way. So now they're releasing music, most of which had come from demo tapes Wayne had recorded throughout his career. As a fan of a band it's pretty awesome. The producers have spent hours and hours taking bits off the tape, manually and painstakingly putting the tracks together. And what we have is more static-x, as true to the original as possible.

Also your point above about the cover being put through their own filter, you could say that about any cover. Ridiculous point to try and make. NIN and Static -X are about as similar as NIN is to Gary Numan or Joy Division or Bowie - would you shit on those covers for the same reason? What would you think if fans of those bands made your criticisms about the NIN versions?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    You sound like you don't have any idea on what the story is at all.....so i'll fill you in.
    Drop the 'tude, son, what I sound like is someone who doesn't care that much.

Yeah I'd "shit" on whatever cover I find subpar, no matter where it comes from, there's no pussy pass for bands. Most NIN covers I don't find that interesting either. And fans DO make those criticisms and all I think about that is "fair enough".

I don't take things as personally as you seem to do. It's a band, not my mom.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Also your point above about the cover being put through their own filter, you could say that about any cover. Ridiculous point to try and make. NIN and Static -X are about as similar as NIN is to Gary Numan or Joy Division or Bowie - would you shit on those covers for the same reason? What would you think if fans of those bands made your criticisms about the NIN versions?
    That's probably 'cause NIN covers to those songs were good and respectful, the Static-X one is just the same generic "metal cover of a non metal song" where they go all over the place 'cause 'hur durr metaaaaaaaaaaal". The fact that Wayne passed away doesn't change that.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Static-X got back together to celebrate 20 years since Wisconsin Death Trip. The band wanted to do this but not have a new singer or use any hologram gimmick shit. Edsel Dope who was a friend of Wayne's and was going to be involved with getting Wayne back with the band before he died. He then was called in to help them find a singer etc. They decided to honour Wayne rather than replace him and the whole reason Edsel doesn't identify himself is because him being the singer isn't the point. It could be anyone in the mask, the point is to honour Wayne and not replace him - no one can grasp the concept but it's very simple. I think it's actually a very tactful way to do it given they have the full support of Wayne's family to continue the band in this way. So now they're releasing music, most of which had come from demo tapes Wayne had recorded throughout his career. As a fan of a band it's pretty awesome. The producers have spent hours and hours taking bits off the tape, manually and painstakingly putting the tracks together. And what we have is more static-x, as true to the original as possible.

Wait. I don't get it. Who is actually singing / performing in that Terrible Lie cover video? (Coming from someone who knows nothing about Static-X).

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Wait. I don't get it. Who is actually singing / performing in that Terrible Lie cover video? (Coming from someone who knows nothing about Static-X).
    It's Wayne, and the vocal is recorded a long time ago but remained unreleased. As for backing track, I assume it was partially or fully rerecorded by the reunited surviving members

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    You sound like you don't have any idea on what the story is at all.....tldr
    Imagine the band you're willing to go to war over is...Static-X. You've listened to a lot of music. You dig industrial music. You're on a NIN board. And after all that, the hill you want to die on is...Wayne Static. Amazing.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Split from NIN-Spotting, but please - don't be jerks to each other.