Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you like The Fragile reissue to be like?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

How would you like The Fragile reissue to be like?

Since it's still not out, what do you envisage as a perfect package?

For me:

- CD version, remastered

- Vinyl version on CD with extended mixes and alt mixes, plus The New Flesh, 10 Miles High and Appendage. That way, having the above gives the listener the standard release mixes, then has the opportunity to hear the different vinyl mixes. (With Decay) would be on the former and just Ripe on this one

- Carsleeve versions of all the singles and promos from the era including Starsuckers, Australian Into The Void, etc. also include art prints of all the other prototype artwork and the different covers that were being selected for TDTWWA single

- A USB with all the new material Trent found not long ago, all tagged. The USB can be in the shape of the flower on TDTWWA single cover

Add to this plz, I'm tired.
    Last edited by Ryan; 06-17-2015 at 05:10 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    CD of the complete version (all tracks in their proper places, Ripe and Decay as separate tracks)
    BD-A of the complete version in 5.1 or 7.1. Probably with videos or other visuals too, in best quality possible - which is 420p stereo for most of it.
    Vinyl version of the complete version. Preferably 150g+, clear vinyl. 45RPM would be nice but would make it much more expensive, perhaps that for the $300 version, with 33 on the standard.
    CD/Vinyl/Digital of demos/outakes and rarities. They shouldn't be tacked onto the end of any of the main album discs, to keep the album experience whole.

In addition, perhaps for the $300 version which I wouldn't get anyway:
    All singles (including Perfect Drug as it wasn't on TDS deluxe) with all their remixes and versions, such as Starsuckers. On either 12"/45rpm vinyl or CD depending on what the market prefers.
    Signed and numbered
    Artbook featuring the making of, alt art etc
    If it exists, behind the scenes footage.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Are we... allowed to talk about this allegedly-supposed-reissue-remaster-collector edition? Didn't the last topic closed or something?

For one: I don't care if it's the 16th year anniversary and not the 20th.

Should he rerelease Things Falling Apart with all the remixes not originally included? Since it has its own Halo number, I don't think it could/should be an extra cd to a Fragile reissue.

Same thing goes to AATCHB. I don't think a bluray release is possible, given the original source.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    second @sheepdean and add that i want Still on vinyl (which i know he does too)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Are we... allowed to talk about this allegedly-supposed-reissue-remaster-collector edition? Didn't the last topic closed or something?

For one: I don't care if it's the 16th year anniversary and not the 20th.

Should he rerelease Things Falling Apart with all the remixes not originally included? Since it has its own Halo number, I don't think it could/should be an extra cd to a Fragile reissue.

Same thing goes to AATCHB. I don't think a bluray release is possible, given the original source.
    I asked Rob about Still and AATCHB in HD a while ago, and he said they were shot digital at 420p, so HD is not possible for video. Though SD-BD exists, and is good for high fidelity of source and more storage.

I assume the adverts and music videos are the same, there's no reason they'd be in HD resolutions considering the period.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I don't know why, but the Aussie green card sleeve Into The Void single artwork is like my favourite NIN cover ever. There's just something soothing about it.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Oh and Trent to include liner notes and musings and recollections about each song, including Still and all the bonus and obscure tracks.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    I would like it to happen.
    I'm pretty sure it will be done right, or not at all.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Two words: Superunknown reissue. Look no further for examples.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I'm only hoping for the 5.1 mix (which will most likely be there) and multitracks of the entire album (which probably won't happen). Of course, extra goodies like unreleased/newly found demos, music videos and such would be a plus.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    -5.1 remix of the album, incorporating the vinyl/cassette only tracks.
    -Extended version of Things Falling Apart incorporating the web exclusive remixes (plus a couple new ones).
    -Demos and other unreleased material, plus The Perfect Drug and Deep.
    -And All That Could Have Been and Still, with a new 5.1 remix for Still.
    -Audio-only documentary on the making of the album.
    -Uncut and alternate versions of the music videos.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    5.1 remix for Still.
    How? It's an acoustic recording, from the videos not recorded in a way that would lend itself to 5.1

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    How? It's an acoustic recording, from the videos not recorded in a way that would lend itself to 5.1
    I'm talking about the album, not the videos.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    4/5xLP 180gram cut at 45rpm with all bonus/extended tracks in cloth bound box like ghosts and a similar hard bound book of david carson stuff/making of etc

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    CD of the complete version (all tracks in their proper places, Ripe and Decay as separate tracks)
    Appendage, 10 Miles High, The New Flesh in respective places or on outakes CD? I like the idea of Ripe w/Decay being seperated by track but still continuous as audio.

Im all for an Ultimate Version with vinyl and casssete track listings merged. But all i really want is a quality version of appendage and some outakes/unreleased shit.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    How does it being a (mostly) acoustic recording prevent it from being mixed into surround?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Appendage, 10 Miles High, The New Flesh in respective places or on outakes CD? I like the idea of Ripe w/Decay being seperated by track but still continuous as audio.

Im all for an Ultimate Version with vinyl and casssete track listings merged. But all i really want is a quality version of appendage and some outakes/unreleased shit.
    All in their respective places. 10MH, Appendage, TNF, Decay and all the long (vinyl) cuts of the tracks.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Released...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    just release the fucking thing.....could care less about a remaster, the original sounds great. more interested in unreleased songs, demos, etc.....

he claimed during during a promo interview for the Fragility live concert film that they filmed the last 25 shows of that tour.....so all 25 shows released in their entirety would suffice...

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    ^^
    It doesn't mean they captured 25 full shows, maybe just the portions of them. Same thing with audio.
    But yeah, some unused footage of the songs that didn't make the cut definitely wouldn't hurt (Get Down Make Love, Somewhat Damaged, TDTWWA full live video, The Fragile, Even Deeper, The Big Come Down)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm not fussed about demos or multitracks, but I would really like to have all the songs separated, not mixed together, so we get full length versions of everything, including Appendage and so on... plus I'd like to see a box set including Still, Things Falling Apart, plus all the appropriate b-sides and internet exclusives. I know the WITT single is hard to come by for many, plus the TFA CD is really annoying where the songs are almost partly mixed sometimes, but not quite (you know what I mean, right?). Maybe some video would be nice as well... AATCHB was not a favourite for me, but maybe the promo videos, Still videos and a couple of odd live tracks would go nicely together, plus a short retrospective interview with Trent just to fill it out. That would do very nicely for me.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    but I would really like to have all the songs separated, not mixed together, so we get full length versions of everything, including Appendage and so on...
    but the continuity of the album is part of what makes it an ALBUM, you know? same with the downward spiral. the segues between tracks make it a fully realized WHOLE, not just a bunch of songs stuck together. i think you actually might want the multi-tracks, because then you'd be able to make your own versions of the songs without the segues!

plus the TFA CD is really annoying where the songs are almost partly mixed sometimes, but not quite (you know what I mean, right?).
    honestly, no! haha. what do you mean?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    but the continuity of the album is part of what makes it an ALBUM
    Yeah, well that's fair enough, but I'm not a big album person - especially not big double albums. I do love The Fragile, but I'd rather edit it down a bit for my own listening, and those fades just bug me. Maybe no one else agrees, in which case yeah, multitracks are fine providing someone else has the skills to stick 'em together.
    TFA has some tracks that are very 'close together' (?) so when you skip a song, or listen on shuffle, you get just a tiny snippet of the previous track at the start. Maybe no one else really notices, but it bugs the hell out of me. Of course the same applies for TDS and others... But still, this is what I would like.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Yeah, well that's fair enough, but I'm not a big album person - especially not big double albums. I do love The Fragile, but I'd rather edit it down a bit for my own listening, and those fades just bug me. Maybe no one else agrees, in which case yeah, multitracks are fine providing someone else has the skills to stick 'em together.
    TFA has some tracks that are very 'close together' (?) so when you skip a song, or listen on shuffle, you get just a tiny snippet of the previous track at the start. Maybe no one else really notices, but it bugs the hell out of me. Of course the same applies for TDS and others... But still, this is what I would like.
    so you weren't actually talking about "mixing" you were talking about proper track division. i was cornfused

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No crossfades, vinyl mix on CD, 5.1 mix, multitracks of every song, every demo released, alternate mixes of some tracks with different overdubs, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Released...
    Yes, mostly this! I know we've been obsessing about this for *over a decade* now, but this is still something I think about all the time. Here are some things I'm hoping for:
    - 5.1 mix!
    - Remastered Stereo mix!
    - unreleased tracks and even (especially) unfinished songs.

These three things are all I really want. But as long as we're dreaming:
    - Songs like 10 miles high and Appendage included in the album where he intended them.
    - Any other songs that were meant for the album in the places he meant for them to be, be they from TFA, Still, or unreleased. I already have the original tracklist and would love a beefed up one to replace the one i made myself.
    - Instrumental tracks like what was used for the Saul Williams record. I bet there's more and what was on Tardust was so great!
    - No old songs re-worked by the modern TR. I think that part of the delay is him fighting the temptation to finish songs that were partly finished, but I'd rather hear a unfinished track than to have him add to it to complete it. What I mean is, I hope he masters or remasters everything, but don't record a new drum beat or guitar riff and overdub it to what was leftover from the old days. His style and voice was so different then, and I yearn for more material from it.
    - Liner notes on meaning, storyline, and his thoughts on the overall concept are way too much to ask, but I will anyway!

Another idea from BRoswell, how about a dvd-style 'directors commentary', with TR sharing his thoughts while the songs are playing in the background. Now I'm really just dreaming.
    Last edited by Strohbie; 06-22-2015 at 02:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i was thinking about this reissue today... for the millionth time. and i think what i want the most are the multitracks. having those would make me so happy. i want outtakes (and the "complete" tracklisting) but anything he has multi tracks of i really, REALLY want. it'd be pretty dope to listen to an instrumental Fragile. i wonder if he does intend to include them, and that's why we didn't get instrumentals on nin.remixes.com or whatever it was called. it was nice to get (most of) TDS instrumental.

edit:
    i'm surprised no one has mentioned wanting the extended video version of WITT. that'd be nice to have on an official release. i'd also like to see the full version of Into The Void (with the Slipping Away parts) as it was originally made. mmmmmmmmmm. i'd like to see every song extended as long as possible. haha.
    Last edited by RunningMonk; 06-22-2015 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Relatively easy to buy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    5.1 mix, nice deluxe packaging, double vinyl, all the videos. Oh, and I'd like it to be released already.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    OK... the remastered version (under Trent's supervision) should include the original album with the extra vinyl/cassette tracks remastered as a standalone thing.

The Deluxe Edition will include the instrumental version of the album plus extra tracks and outtakes that didn't make it to the album.

The Super-Deluxe Edition will include Things Falling Apart plus extra remixes, Still (remastered), and a DVD/Blu-Ray of the Fragility concert specials from MTV/MTV2 plus music videos, rare live performances, and a documentary on the album/tour featuring new interviews with Trent, Robin, Danny, Charlie, Alan Moulder, and several others.