Thread: Doom

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    By the beard of Zeus! On the one hand, I can't wait to play through the 'lost mission'. On the other hand, it'll almost certainly mean giving my mod an extremely thorough colonoscopy. Yay.
    Supposedly the graphics will be "greatly enhanced", but I can't really see much difference in that trailer. The lighting may be a little sleeker, but the textures are still just as wincingly low-resolution. Then again, I'm not entirely sure it represents the final build, as allegedly the game now includes a "new armor-mounted flashlight, allowing players to illuminate dark corners and blast enemies at the same time," but it's not shown during the gameplay.

I think I see a new demon at 35s - looks a little like a Wraith, but the movement and sounds are wrong.
    Massively brightened for ease of viewing:

I'm in a bit of a minority in that I absolutely adore Doom 3, even more than its predecessors. Surprised and delighted to see it getting some love. I'm not sure what to make about the always-on flashlight though - I've tried modding it into the game and it kills a lot of tension, and exposes the low texture resolution. More optimistic about the checkpoint system though, because quicksaving does spoil the immersion a little. I just hope they don't broadcast 'CHECKPOINT!' on the HUD, because that's every bit as damaging.

There's a great article on the release here, by the way.

:edit: I think that probably is a Wraith, actually. Must see if I can find those sounds. According to the article there is a new boss creature in there though.
    Last edited by Vertigo; 05-30-2012 at 01:08 PM.