Page 4 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think even foos fans want to like them more than they actually do... Same as later manic street preachers... Feel bad slagging it given the history, but its breezy prozac fm rock to play in your mondeo on the way to ikea. I liked probot though, shake your blood is the best motorhead song since 1992 (effectively)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Glad you guys liked what I said, hobochic and aggroculture. Yes, Morrissey's way with vocal melodies is strong indeed, "Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together" from Viva Hate and "What She Said" from the Smiths are two of my all-time favourite songs to sing.

The wheelchair-bound genius is "November Spawned a Monster". The original studio version of this song has aged badly, but it's a live staple for Morrissey and is quite well-executed on the Live at Earls Court album. The key line "Jesus made me, so Jesus, save me from pity, sympathy, and people discussing me" is one of my all-time favourite lyrics in any pop song ever.

The faded boxer is "Boxers". Seeing what you've said so far, hobochic, I don't know if you'll be all that hot on this one, as the tune is a bit jangly and meandering, but it is a great character sketch and it's quite reminiscent of the movie The Wrestler.

Glamourous gangsters are all over Morrissey's music - he's got a bit of a fascination with the romance of crime. My two favourites, though, are "The Last of the Famous International Playboys", written as a love letter from a half-mad fanboy to the infamous Kray twins (definitely worth a wikipedia search if you're not familiar with their story) and "The Boy Racer", a straight-up rocker that proves Morrissey's sleepy band can get the lead out when they want.

The guilt-ridden priest is "Dear God, Please Help Me". Reviewers laughed at the comic couplet "There are explosive kegs/ between my legs", but my favourite part comes early in the song, where Morrissey sighs "I'm so very tired of doing the right thing". God knows I've been there. Haven't we all?

Last edited by BlueCalx; 05-13-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Nice thread...

I guess there are some artists who are 'too much' part of their time. For example, I can't relate to Bob Dylan anymore. His writing, his music and his style belong to the Boomer generation. I`m not interested in it. Same thing with Nirvana - it's music made for Generation X. It's of no relevance today, in my opinion.
    The Beatles deserve their reputation. Noone did concept albums because Frank Zappa did it first, but many people wanted to role-play like Sgt. Pepper (I'm looking at you, David Bowie). Sgt. Pepper was Paul's idea and he is not only a better songwriter than Lennon but also almost as revolutionary. I'd say that "Helter Skelter" was the very first heavy metal song. But John was needed as a corrective to keep Paul from writing too much shlock.
    It seems that there are two worlds of music, one for casual listeners and one for the real fans. For example, a lot of people on this board, music critics and other really interested people would say that Radiohead is one of the best, if not the best currently active band. But could your mother name one Radiohead song? Would you ever have a gospel choir sing a Radiohead sing like they sing 'Let it be'?
    That's why I think that U2 are not overrated - they were, not the best, but maybe the biggest band of the world until they released No Line on the Horizon (then it was Coldplay). Everyone knows at least Beautiful Day or Vertigo (or One).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So, when did this become a Share Morrisey's Music Thread?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Around about the time it stopped being an 'awkwardly debate the worth of the Beatles' thread.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

I'm glad someone took the shit I said about Morrissey and eloquently explained why they loved it. I see no point in talking shit about music and artists without the possibility of getting some cultural exchange out of it. Isn't that the point of even interacting with people?

I do admit Morrissey kinda hogged a nice chunk of this thread... fucking Morrissey.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Nirvana. Talk about ridiculously overrated. I thought they were pretty middle of the road even when they came out, but then Kurt blew his head off and all the sudden they were the voice of a generation.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Facebook are both incredibly boring soundtracks. Hours and hours of recycled Fragile & Ghosts ideas, melodies and sounds; especially the guitar tone. If you really must recycle how about using the tones from Broken? To this day I've never heard guitars that sound like that anywhere else (yeah, yeah, I know, probably not a good fit for a boring soundtrack). Regarding Ghosts, if Trent's going to make instrumental music, it would be nice if it went more in the direction of the noise experiments on Year Zero and Fixed, as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Daisy Berkowitz (and by obvious extension, TR) is the only reason I even bothered listening to Marilyn Manson in the first place. Portrait of an American Family still has the coolest/most innovative guitar work of all their albums, IMO. And they were a lot more aggressive and psychedelic with him live, than without.

The Trocadero ‘95 show on Youtube is just about the best MM show I’ve ever seen.

Sure as hell sounds better than Twiggy playing guitars now.
    Last edited by jezstyle; 05-13-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yep early MM and spooky kids was very psych... Reeks of acid. Totally different band

i think the beatles do deserve their reputation but nonetheless they get credit for things they didnt pioneer. Its a very specific point im making (badly, perhaps! Captain dickhead certainly doesnt get what im saying), for instance yourself you credit helter skelter as the first heavy metal song, but blue cheer and the kinks, to an extent hendrix were making stabs at proto metal long before '68. That is what i mean by overrated - not overrated generally speaking, but in certain ways. I think thats perfectly rational

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Jimi Hendrix: I realize he revolutionized the electric guitar yadda yadda yadda. But I don't enjoy listening to his music. I also don't find that he has good songs. Feel free to make suggestions.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Noel and Liam Gallagher on Be Here Now, Oasis's obese masterpiece. It makes me kind of nuts, but I'm with Liam on this one. It does rock, especially when you're getting ready to go out.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post

Noel and Liam Gallagher on Be Here Now, Oasis's obese masterpiece. It makes me kind of nuts, but I'm with Liam on this one. It does rock, especially when you're getting ready to go out.
    ^^ 100 times this!

It may not be their masterpiece, but I get a huge kick out of be here now and Oasis in general. I just don't get why so many people hate on them, yet their gigs are among my favorite concert moments ever (both Oasis shows and the respective shows from Beady Eye and Noel)! Not that often you get to witness such a cheerful, friendly and overall appreciative crowd singing along to the music as with Oasis. Hell, I even made friends at pretty much every single show I've been to. Doesn't matter from where the fans are, Germany, the UK, America, Spain or Italy they just bring people together and frankly I haven't had this kind of pleasure at many others shows yet. At least not to that extend and I'm not even in a fanclub or browsing through related message boards.

I guess most of the discomfort people have with these guys comes from the negative publicity both of them generate and their overall behaviour. I for one can tolerate that and hell I even find it funny at times. Other musician's feuds are way more annoying and constantly shoved into your face by the media than Oasis' IMHO.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh, hey, one last thing. I was really stoked to see a bunch of people come around in this thread to talk about how they had no use for TR's Ghosts. When I first heard that album I was struck by how cheap and tinny it sounded, how a lot of the stronger melodies were blatant retreads of stuff from TDS and The Fragile, and how totally out of step it sounded with contemporary electronic music. The instrumentals from The Fragile hold up really well because they reflect Trent drawing influence from this broad cross-section of music. The stuff on Ghosts sounds like Trent drawing influence from himself, and from his two or three all-time favourite bands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My only controversial music opinion: Who the fuck is Morrisey?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Never understood the appeal of Bjork. I flat out don't like her music.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I like Led Zeppelin a lot - it's the drumming that does it...but it's disheartening to learn how much they stole/copied from others. And AC/DC post-back to black was a cheap version of Led Zeppelin.
    Kanye West's last album was an overproduced mess, and he should stay silent on his records.
    ABBA, George Michael and The Bee Gees are very underrated.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Never understood the appeal of Bjork. I flat out don't like her music.
    I dont like her and i don't respect her, i think she had the blessing to be with really good producers/musicians but she's flat, she thinks she can sell her music by being just "cute", i heard people call her "Bjerk" because her pretentious and ignorant attitude...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    he thinks she can sell her music by being just "cute"
    She doesn't do that anymore. It stopped when her stalker tried to kill her. I think she realized the crazies that it attracts.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    To be fair, Harry Seaward is nothing more than a Marylin Manson fanboy, so he had it coming.

Seriously though, fuck AC/DC.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    AC/DC irritates the hell out of me. Shame I can't go a day without inadvertently hearing one of their songs somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Since putting down the drugs Primal Scream suck.
    Riot City Blues was almost universally derided (rightfully so, apart from "When the Bomb Drops" and a couple of other decent tracks) and Beautiful Future is fairly love-it-or-hate-it (I lean more toward the former myself), so not all that controversial really. Kevin Shields is back on board for the new album so it should be interesting despite the lack of chemical influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Wire were more important than the Sex Pistols.

House Music in the early 90's was better than Grunge.
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Just drop the Beatles argument. The thread's intended to state controversial music opinions, not defend bands to the death. In the end, no one's opinion is going to change anyways.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    agreed about AC/DC. They can be fun in small doses, but it's so repetitive and it all bores the shit out of me on a whole.

And yeah, I also agree that Wire deserves way more love than they get. Their new album wasn't that bad either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Beach Boys > The Beatles

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 Volt Phantom View Post
    The Beach Boys > The Beatles
    Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums ever made, but other than that, what other album have they put out that even comes close?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Unfortunately we'll never know the true impact that "Smile" would've had had it been completed and released in 67. That said I'm not a Beatles fan anyway, I have listened to them, enjoyed a song here and there, but would join the group who says they are overrated as hell.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 Volt Phantom View Post
    That said I'm not a Beatles fan anyway, I have listened to them, enjoyed a song here and there, but would join the group who says they are overrated as hell.

Well, that group is certainly in good company now

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    overrated:
    gang of four (a few good songs)
    radiohead (awesome thru hail to the thief, impossible to critique thanks to fan boy posturing)
    wilco (ugh)
    pavement (ugh ugh)
    animal collective (ugh ugh ugh)
    happy mondays

in my book, the beatles are obviously geniuses, but i'm pretty sick of hearing their songs. hate paul mccartney.
    PIL are far more important than the sex pistols. also agreed about wire > sex pistols, though i prefer chairs missing ---> send far more than pink flag.
    berlin-era bowie > glam bowie (love it all, prefer the alomar/davis/etc. run from young americans thru scary monsters)
    u2 were GREAT, i'd wager all the way through pop. it's when they started questioning themselves and making safe records that it became a shitshow.

i dunno, most of my controversial opinions are about the current crop of bullshit 80s nostalgia acts who blow up yet can't write a single song with all the production elements and gear they covet.
    fuck bands who can't/are horrible at playing live. stop using the punks of 30 years ago as an excuse as to why you can't play daddy's guitar to save your life.

also glad to see so much moz love, but unless i missed it, no appreciation for viva hate?

tom petty rules... great pop craftsman, as far as rock n' roll is concerned. i get so pumped by 'american girl' it's not even funny.

more later as i think of them.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 05-14-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    i prefer chairs missing ---> send far more than pink flag).
    Me too actually... I guess it would fall into the "controversial" category for me to say that Send is actually my favorite Wire album.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Don't Like At All:

The Beatles
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    AC/DC
    Oasis
    At The Drive In/Mars Volta/Sparta
    Animal Collective
    Sufjan Stevens
    pretty much ALL SKA/swing/rockabilly
    All things Danzig

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    If reznor got flood back on board for some production, things could get interesting again. although flood has bored me as of late as well...