Page 18 of 191 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I fucking hate Bicycle too, but how do you agree with Fat Bottomed Girls or Somebody to Love? Those two haven't been mentioned yet and are choice Queens songs.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebek View Post
    I fucking hate Bicycle too, but how do you agree with Fat Bottomed Girls or Somebody to Love? Those two haven't been mentioned yet and are choice Queens songs.
    maybe it's a personal aversion given that I worked in a karaoke bar for a few years, but Fat Bottomed Girls bugs the shit out of me. And I'm indifferent about Somebody to Love.

Actually, I take that back... Somebody to Love sucks (imho)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    ...indeed! If i was twiggy i would have pretended i ripped off pavement instead

One evening i realised that piggy by NIN is more or less the same as an older song... But it escapes me. Answers on a postcard

Fever by Elvis Presley! Although more or less the same is a bit too much. But the bass is really similar

We need a similar songs/blatant ripoffs thread

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    One Vision, I Want To Break Free, I Want It All, Another One Bites The Dust, Radio Gaga, Who Wants To Live Forever...come to mind.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I really like every Robbie Williams album up to and, especially, including Escapology

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebek View Post
    Fat Bottomed Girls? gtfo, that song sucks. SUCKS. That's when Queen jumped the fucking shark. That and BICYCLE.

Oh, and I also hate "Another One Bites the Dust" and "We Will Rock You." And "Radio Gaga." Blech. And I think "Somebody to Love" is smarmy.

But they redeem themselves with this ...

She keeps Moet et Chandon
    In her pretty cabinet
    'Let them eat cake' she says
    Just like Marie Antoinette

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Fever by Elvis Presley! Although more or less the same is a bit too much. But the bass is really similar

We need a similar songs/blatant ripoffs thread
    I just went to youtube to listen to both of these, and the bass line is nothing alike - what are you talking about? The Fever one in bass terms is actually more complicated I think, as the song seems mostly the bass, clicking fingers and voice

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    even as a glam rock devotee, i could never get into queen myself. 'i want to break free' is a fun little romp kind of reminiscent of 'miss you' by the stones. otherwise, that's it. bowie owned 'under pressure' and even the most celebrated queen hits are the kind of bombastic, corny drama i can't do.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I feel I should own up to a love of the Highlander soundtrack, Gimme the Prize especially

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I just went to youtube to listen to both of these, and the bass line is nothing alike - what are you talking about? The Fever one in bass terms is actually more complicated I think, as the song seems mostly the bass, clicking fingers and voice
    Yeah it's probably more a case of it my feeling it has a similar quality

To me the opening bass riff in piggy sounds similar but slower, in fever bass notes come in slowly one by one in a stacatto way (similar to opening piggy riff) and then at the end it goes 8-6-5-2 on the a string, to my ear it has a similar quality to the way the initial piggy bassline goes 3-2 on the d at the end

It most likely is more a case of it reminding me of fever rather than a stark technical similarity, apologies if anyone up on theory is writhing

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Who Wants To Live Forever
    Apparently we disagree. I fucking hate that song. There's over the top melodrama, and then there's that song.

it goes 8-6-5-2 on the a string, to my ear it has a similar quality to the way the initial piggy bassline goes 3-2 on the d at the end
    not to be an asshole, I'm genuinely curious... do you think about note progressions as fret numbers rather than the actual notes? doesn't that get confusing?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-07-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It might be confusing for a competent musician who is used to more effective systems, but it's all I know. I have no trouble reading or recalling tablature. For years I didn't even know the numbers! I think about notes as locations on the fret/keyboard (although I don't have a number system for piano, I do it by ear), the numbers are just an aid to learning or communication (once I know a tune I don't think "open, now 3 now 5", etc). I have no trouble recalling which string the numbers are assigned to.

I realise learning basic theory would make it easier but a big part of what I do day-to-day involves translation and lists of acronyms, perhaps hard to explain but learning another system is really the last thing I want to do at night. Also I more or less only play rock music so I don't feel I need too many strings on my bow. Those are my excuses anyway!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I get it. it's relative.

I mean, your tab / note thing. It's an ear thing, at that level.

(Not that I agree w the Piggy comparison; I've never heard Fever by Elvis. Is it the same as Peggy Lee's?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumprof View Post
    I don't know why Trent took the Dresden Dolls as support in 2005. This kind music is just terrible!
    I love the Dolls, and all of Amanda's stuff since she went solo, but I agree that they're not really a good fit to open for Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Korn were one of the best bands of the 90s.
    Which really shouldn't be a controversial opinion: it's only through their suckiness and relentless self-parody over the last decade+ that it seems to difficult to believe that these guys were once game-changers.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 08-08-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Korn are a band i want to hate, but I have always found Korn's 1990s material very adrenaline inducing and very well produced.
    How can you listen to tracks like Ball Tongue (which is fucking mindblowing), Blind, and Clown, Freak on a Leash, and not get carried away with it??

They are really sad men now, i always thought they could have matured somewhat but they never did, interviews with them used to make me want to puke, this is why i give myself a hard time for liking their material, because of what they turned into. And they spawned a lot of awful bands.
    I dont get how such stupid people could produce such good metal music.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Korn sucks

(ten characters)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Korn are god-awful. Worst live band I've ever seen. How hard to you have to suck to get completely blown off the stage by Powerman fucking 5000 and Papa goddamn Roach? Korn had nothing going on, a bunch of fat fucks from California on drugs. Ross Robinson was the game changer in that equation, Korn were just the vehicle.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I disagree with calling them a vehicle for Ross. He helped them channel what they were doing for those first two albums. Then they became the brand with Follow The Leader ans onward. Ross couldn't do much of anything with that last album he did with them. They're too busy driving their hybrid cars and living large. They can "go back to basics" all they want (twice so far), no producer can save that. Love the first two albums. Those albums were from a few kids from Bakersfield who had nothing. And they worked their asses off. Then they became the party band (Follow The Leader).

Cutting it short. They're a bunch of a rich 40-somethings playing korn music and trying to sound like Korn.

That dubstep album was probably the only "original" thing they've done in years. Yeah, they were cashing in on the genre, but at least they tried something different.
    Last edited by Piko; 08-09-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Korn sucks

(ten characters)
    Thank you, i dont like them too, they're always the same (Riffs, "concept", Lyrics) and his sound is flat but I've found the worst thing about Korn is Jonathan Davis, god, he's annoying! and a crap vocalist, the most insulting Korn album is definitely "Unplugged" because he want us to think he can actually sing!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    man, and the bagpipe gimmick was something else.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    I love the Dolls, and all of Amanda's stuff since she went solo, but I agree that they're not really a good fit to open for Nine Inch Nails.
    Going to have to agree with Jumprof here, I think the Dolls suck and really don't like Amanda Palmer's solo stuff as well. Their music doesn't appeal to me whatsoever, honestly it comes off to me as boring and pandering. No doubt Amanda is one of the cooler people (and not just a woman) in rock and roll and generally comes off as sincere in interviews, and Brian is a hell of a drummer, but I can't help but dislike their music greatly.

As for the Queen thing, it takes me back to that time where I stated here that I hated Bob Marley and thought he was the most overrated artist ever. I'm on this other side now of naively thinking that Queen was a respected and liked band by everyone, but looking at this page, I can see I'm wrong. Myself, I've never gotten deep into their catalog aside from "Night at the Opera" and "Live Killers" (which is one of the first cassettes I owned for whatever reason). I like their singles, but I'm more than okay at admitting that some of their songs are extremely goofy. If anything, the band is melodramatic to the max, but I'm guessing that was the point.

But Jinsai, as much as I love you, I think you're dead wrong about "Bohemian Rhapsody", no matter how hokey it is, I consider it one of the best songs ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Korn were great in the 90's
    I remember a friend gave me Life is Peachy and I thought back in 96.......WTF is this?
    Then after a lot of listens, BOOM, it clicked don't know how...but I loved it, then went back to the first one.
    It was a strange feeling when FTL came in 98'...they became HUGE, because they were this band that not a lot of people knew (I'm from Southamerica) and then they were everywhere.
    for me it was downhill from there, never got into Issues.
    Untouchables is great, TALITM, so-so, the rest of the albums, some good songs but nothing more.
    I cannot listen now to a 40 year old guy crying again about...everything.

Funny how they were compare with Deftones back in the day and how different both bands had evolve.

(BTW Ministry fucking sucks)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I absolutely HATE queen. And the fact that Muse are so blatantly influenced by them, just disappoints me, royally. And I absolutely loathe Ozzy. I tried to get into Sabbath, but I just can't. His solo stuff is even worse.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i have no issues with ozzy as a singer for sabbath, but he is the weakest link in an otherwise tremendous band.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I really can't find any appeal to Sonic Youth, they're just so mind-numbingly bland and stereotypical sounding of their genre. I've tried liking them but can't find myself liking anything minus "Bull in the Heather." I really don't get their hype.

I love RATM but their only good albums were their self-titled and Evil Empire. Battle of Los Angeles had some good tracks but was just a dry affair outside its hits. I hate Renegades outside of Maggie's Farm.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i always found daydream nation to be a bit too bloated, though that's the critical darling. if this song doesn't get you moving, probably not gonna get it:

(and maybe 'dirty boots'/goo since you like 'bull in the heather' ok).

simply curious though, what genre do you think they're stereotypical of? they were pretty unique in their heyday, even if the modern stuff is suspiciously hip jam-band turf.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 08-09-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: edited because youtube is sneaky

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Actually that song sounds good but I honestly couldn't listen to an entire album of their's with all songs like that. I'd get bored.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Korn sucks

(ten characters)
    Korn could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. And that ridiculous 'J Devil' nonsense...

Other than the first bit which was the most awkward thing I've probably seen in a year, I skipped forward to 9:00 or so in and witnessed the most unbearably awkward bullshit that I just...I can't...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^...just proved my point:

Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    ...the worst thing about Korn is Jonathan Davis, god, he's annoying! and a crap vocalist, the most insulting Korn album is definitely "Unplugged" because he want us to think he can actually sing!
    ...but i stand myself corrected... THAT video is the most insulting thing ever!!! WTF???
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 08-09-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Jonathan Skrillex