Thread: Random NIN Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^ Yeah, I’ve been to shows where I could not hear much of anything for a few hours after I left; it was like I was underwater. Some typical classic rock arena shows, obviously, but also Ministry was some of the loudest shows.

I have permanent tinnitus which presents itself as a high-pitched ringing in both ears (but especially my left). It changes in severity depending on circumstances, e.g. caffeine or alcohol consumption, my migraine medication, sleep. Luckily, it never causes me any discomfort or pain. I had a friend whose tinnitus was SO bad, she heard what sounded like “motorcycles” which means she was mostly deaf.

I started wearing ear plugs to loud shows around 20 years ago, because I don’t want to eventually need hearing aids. MOVIES at the theater are way too loud now, it concerns me that children are exposed to those high decibels.

As @botley mentioned, in-ear monitors have revolutionized live shows for musicians, but so have house amplification systems. In the old days, there were no house PAs, there were just blasted amps on stage and the musicians were in front of them.

Lots of artists are pretty much deaf in either one or both ears and have varying severity of tinnitus, including but not limited to:

* Neil Young
    * Jeff Beck
    * Sting
    * Whoopi Goldberg (she wears hearing aids in both ears)
    * Ozzy Osbourne
    * Eric Clapton
    * Pete Townsend
    * Alex Van Halen
    * Lars Ulrich
    * Brian Johnson (AC / DC)
    * Anthony Kiedis
    * Danny Elfman
    * Moby
    * Barbra Streisand
    * Thomas Bangalter (Daft Punk)
    * Chris Martin
    * will.i.am

Even classical musicians are at risk.

Last edited by allegro; 05-15-2019 at 01:29 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    ^ Yeah, I’ve been to shows where I could not hear much of anything for a few hours after I left; it was like I was underwater. Some typical classic rock arena shows, obviously, but also Ministry was some of the loudest shows.

I have permanent tinnitus which presents itself as a high-pitched ringing in both ears (but especially my left). It changes in severity depending on circumstances, e.g. caffeine or alcohol consumption, my migraine medication, sleep. Luckily, it never causes me any discomfort or pain. I had a friend whose tinnitus was SO bad, she heard what sounded like “motorcycles” which means she was mostly deaf.

I started wearing ear plugs to loud shows around 20 years ago, because I don’t want to eventually need hearing aids. MOVIES at the theater are way too loud now, it concerns me that children are exposed to those high decibels.

As @botley mentioned, in-ear monitors have revolutionized live shows for musicians, but so have house amplification systems. In the old days, there were no house PAs, there were just blasted amps on stage and the musicians were in front of them.

Lots of artists are pretty much deaf in either one or both ears and have varying severity of tinnitus, including but not limited to:

* Neil Young
    * Jeff Beck
    * Sting
    * Whoopi Goldberg (she wears hearing aids in both ears)
    * Ozzy Osbourne
    * Eric Clapton
    * Pete Townsend
    * Alex Van Halen
    * Lars Ulrich
    * Brian Johnson (AC / DC)
    * Anthony Kiedis
    * Danny Elfman
    * Moby
    * Barbra Streisand
    * Thomas Bangalter (Daft Punk)
    * Chris Martin
    * will.i.am

Even classical musicians are at risk.

That is really sad to hear bout how many musicians suffer the loss of being able to enjoy what they love. I wonder if Trent has never talked about it because he's fine and doesn't have any loss, or if he doesn't want to admit to it because he's pretty private about things in general. I know this seems like such a tangent conversation, but it really isn't - imagine being into a visual artist and finding out they are partially blind. It's really fundamental to what they are doing and what is possible in the future.