Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Challengers (2024)

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Odds of this one hitting Bandcamp?
    Probably not going to happen. That's only for Null Corporation releases. It looks like MGM wanted to release this one themselves, through Milan Records (a Sony Music subsidiary).

If you want to buy the 24-bit, it's available on Qobuz and HDTracks (with Qobuz being the cheapest):
    https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/ch.../ch37gwvytxbyb
    https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/660...9c9223a6bcb92a

The 24-bit may show up later at 7Digital and Prostudiomasters, but those are usually more expensive than Qobuz. 16-bit and lossy versions are available for less money at the usual retailers also.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Opinions seem to be positive on this so that's good to know but I think I'll sit on this until after their score comes out. I don't want my opinion of the remixes (good or bad) to taint the score itself. Seems weird to put a remix cart before the original score horse...but I'm no big-brained movie / record executive.
    Last edited by cdm; 04-12-2024 at 09:00 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is a fun listen! It's all very... moist....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BJM View Post
    Here's the link on Qobuz in Belgium: https://www.qobuz.com/be-fr/album/ch.../ch37gwvytxbyb . Available in 24-Bit/48 kHz. Total cost just below €20.
    So this [MIXED] score on apple is licensing music from NULL and Sony but itself is a Sony release? I am so confused.

Regardless, this fucking rips and I really needed this.

EDIT: I need a remix with Yeah Yeah Yeah by LCD now.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Compress is bascially Purest Feeling in a sweaty discotheque. It's the most electro boogie thing Trent's ever had vocals over ... more in line with their Fashion cover than anything.

Outside of that, the run from Challengers to Brutalizer is exactly what I want the next NIN album to sound like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    https://pitchfork.com/news/trent-rez...-album-listen/

“It’s been a fun challenge to turn this into one fluid experience and take it even further by redesigning the tracks, creating new elements and changing certain parts—especially on ‘Compress / Repress,’ which turns super epic in the end,” Boys Noize said in a press statement. “Working with Trent and Atticus has been a dream come true; they’ve been so great and helpful during the entire process.”
    Slightly worrying line from that article:

For now, the Nine Inch Nails musicians are not releasing their original score.
    But I'm guessing we'll get the actual soundtrack in a couple of weeks...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Finally some NIN techno

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BJM View Post

Slightly worrying line from that article:

But I'm guessing we'll get the actual soundtrack in a couple of weeks...
    Mmmm...that feels like a weirdly definitive statement. It makes me wonder if this DJ mix is our commercial release, and that the original score isn't getting one. I guess we'll see in a couple weeks!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Um, I FUCKING LOVE THIS.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    Mmmm...that feels like a weirdly definitive statement. It makes me wonder if this DJ mix is our commercial release, and that the original score isn't getting one. I guess we'll see in a couple weeks!
    Usually the OST comes at the same day at the movie release and I really doubt they only wrote 9 songs to the movie.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    Usually the OST comes at the same day at the movie release and I really doubt they only wrote 9 songs to the movie.
    There definitely is more. Going back to the clips uploaded and found through Instagram there is a track titled Match Point, which isn't part of the MIXED EP. The clips also have a cleaner album art...it looks like the EP has a stylized version of the score's art.

IMG_2980.jpg

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Probably not going to happen. That's only for Null Corporation releases. It looks like MGM wanted to release this one themselves, through Milan Records (a Sony Music subsidiary).
    Thank you, that’s enough for me to push the button on iTunes.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    Yeah, I know how this works...all I was saying was that we might not be getting a full commercial release, not that they only wrote 28 minutes of music. They write hours of music for every score that's then cut down for the film and cut down again for the album.

Either way, I'd forgotten that we've already seen cover art for the regular release, so this is just a misread of Pitchfork's intent with that line.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I've listened to every soundtrack they've released when they came out, but for the most part I don't really revisit them. This though, I want this on vinyl yesterday. Most fun soundtrack they've done BY FAR! Agree with others saying if this is the direction a new NIN album takes I'm all for it!

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I’m enjoying it so far. Of course “Compress/Regress” rules but “I Know” absolutely kicks ass too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Nice to hear the sexy Trent back. Excellent track; can't wait to hear the others.
    Edit: Agree with the above; "I Know" is damn good too! Love the vibe of Prince's "Erotic City."
    Last edited by Ruined; 04-12-2024 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a little confused. Is this a remix album? Is there an another official soundtrack from just TR/AR coming as well?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azad_ninja View Post
    I'm a little confused. Is this a remix album? Is there an another official soundtrack from just TR/AR coming as well?
    It's a DJ mix of selected tracks from the score. The full score is presumed to be released the same day as the movie.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Loving it, so different from all other scores!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Overall positive review for both the movie and the score from Consequence. Hard to say for sure having not yet seen the movie but it does have some details and minor plot points that may or may not be spoilery so click at your own risk.

But it does contain this tidbit:

...“Compress / Repress,” is flat-out sick, delivering Nine Inch Nails vibes with lyrics by Guadagnino and vocals by Reznor.
    https://consequence.net/2024/04/chal...ca-guadagnino/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    film seems to be a good one, and a shout out to the score being very good too:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    After listening through the whole thing in the car today, it's definitely more enjoyable to me than some of the more recent scores. I do wonder how much different this mix is from the stand alone score, but this is a fun listen that will get repeats for sure.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azad_ninja View Post
    Yes, and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    It's a DJ mix of selected tracks from the score.
    To be clear, the tracks are remixed by Boys Noize as well. From the official announcement:

"CHALLENGERS [MIXED], TRENT REZNOR AND ATTICUS ROSS’ SCORE FOR LUCA GUADAGNINO’S NEW FILM, IS AVAILABLE NOW AS A CONTINUOUS SET REWORKED AND REMIXED BY PRODUCER AND DJ BOYS NOIZE."

“It’s been a fun challenge to turn this into one fluid experience and take it even further by redesigning the tracks, creating new elements and changing certain parts—especially on ‘Compress / Repress,’ which turns super epic in the end,” Boys Noize said in a press statement.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    compress/repress: i knew those weren’t his lyrics! i was like whoa this doesn’t sound like reznor at all. i love his clean vocals and them synths. so fun. so glad to hear him singing. somebody do a britney “3” remix.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Anyone know if this is getting the physical release treatment? Seeing a lot of press on this one.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Started listening to the mix, but stopped since I want to hear the score in its proper context first. What I did hear sounds awesome though!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I've listened to every soundtrack they've released when they came out, but for the most part I don't really revisit them. This though, I want this on vinyl yesterday. Most fun soundtrack they've done BY FAR! Agree with others saying if this is the direction a new NIN album takes I'm all for it!
    I am the complete opposite of you. I mean, how can you not throw on The Vietnam War score when feeling pumped? Or TGWTDT when you're feeling moody? Or Watchmen, which at times is just NIN.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I’ve been out of town and busy since Thursday, but I’m on my flight home now and just listened to this, and hot damn, I love it.

I’ve still got 2 hours left on this flight, so I’m going in for seconds…

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The last twenty seconds of Compress/Repress. Heaven.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I'm with you. Outside of The Social Network and the TMNT score last year, I maybe give it two spins and don't revisit them much.

THIS however. I haven't been able to stop.