Thread: If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power - new Halsey album produced by Trent and Atticus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    Yeah, how strange it is to a act that always flirted with pop structure in their music to produce a pop artist, right?
    It’s not strange when you consider it’s a female artist. It’s not the only reason they are mad, but make no mistake it’s part of the equation.

Seriously, none of them would have a single bad thing to say about pop releases from Bowie or The Cure.

All of that to say, I don’t even think it’s accurate to categorize Halsey as purely pop anyway. Her sound is pretty varied from what I can tell of my limited knowledge of her music.

I get into the same argument with people every year regarding the RnR Hall of Fame inductions. Folks will start screeching anytime an artist who they perceive as “not rock” ends up getting in.

But what they aren’t considering is that there was a time when “rock n roll” was basically any music that wasn’t gospel or classical music. That’s it, that was the entire definition of rock n roll in its infancy. And that’s the definition the HoF uses. That’s exactly why artists who make country, rap, RnB and even pop get in today. It’s not that hard to understand. All of those genres were influenced by the earliest iterations of rock n roll. And have gone on to influence more traditional rock artists in turn.

Eventually rock came to mean a certain style, but that wasn’t true in the beginning and it’s kind of not true anymore either. Genres have become so varied and flexible at this point in history, that they often aren’t even useful anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    It’s not strange when you consider it’s a female artist. It’s not the only reason they are mad, but make no mistake it’s part of the equation.

Seriously, none of them would have a single bad thing to say about pop releases from Bowie or The Cure.

All of that to say, I don’t even think it’s accurate to categorize Halsey as purely pop anyway. Her sound is pretty varied from what I can tell of my limited knowledge of her music.

I get into the same argument with people every year regarding the RnR Hall of Fame inductions. Folks will start screeching anytime an artist who they perceive as “not rock” ends up getting in.

But what they aren’t considering is that there was a time when “rock n roll” was basically any music that wasn’t gospel or classical music. That’s it, that was the entire definition of rock n roll in its infancy. And that’s the definition the HoF uses. That’s exactly why artists who make country, rap, RnB and even pop get in today. It’s not that hard to understand. All of those genres were influenced by the earliest iterations of rock n roll. And have gone on to influence more traditional rock artists in turn.

Eventually rock came to mean a certain style, but that wasn’t true in the beginning and it’s kind of not true anymore either. Genres have become so varied and flexible at this point in history, that they often aren’t even useful anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was talking about NIN actually haha. A lot of fans acts like NIN doesn't rely heavily on pop influences because usually it's dark, have guitars and even get "harsh" sometimes (like TDS) as if Trent himself hides the fact how Bowie or Prince were huge influences to his sound.