Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Retro Games

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Hey, while I'm at it: do any of you guys play the NBA Ballers: Rebound game on PSP?

I LOOOOOOVE the idea of it, especially Rags to Riches mode. But I can't win a SINGLE FUCKING MATCH in that mode.

I can sure win as Dirk or Steve Nash, but fuuuuuck me: in the coolest mode of the game, the arcade style, create your own character, rise up through the ranks and buy tattoos/clothes/cars/houses/become friends with NBA legends, I'm just SOL.
    Never played Ballers, but I LOVED NBA Street.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Never played Ballers, but I LOVED NBA Street.
    Are they relayed? Ballers:Rebound is one on one, aka, not exactly my cup of tea, but it DOES remind me of playing IRL when I was a kid, in our back driveway.

It even has alley basketball rules: play to eleven but you gotta win by 2, gotta run back and touch whatever "arc" you've set up, etc.

Ok, again, while I'm at it, do you know a fix for the NBA Live pitch black arms and legs glitch?

Also, I FINALLY figured out how to have a decent chance in PSP 2K11 and 12, by switching the settings from "simulation" to "arcade."
    I'm gonna set up a full season and try recreate the Mavs' 2011 championship,

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Not sure about Ballers, but NBA Street was part of the EA Big series (SSX, NFL Street, FIFA Street, etc).

Not familiar with NBA Live since the early 2000s lol

Saw this today, and it looks fucking cool (but >2X cost of the Steam Deck).

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Are they relayed? Ballers:Rebound is one on one, aka, not exactly my cup of tea, but it DOES remind me of playing IRL when I was a kid, in our back driveway.

It even has alley basketball rules: play to eleven but you gotta win by 2, gotta run back and touch whatever "arc" you've set up, etc.

Ok, again, while I'm at it, do you know a fix for the NBA Live pitch black arms and legs glitch?

Also, I FINALLY figured out how to have a decent chance in PSP 2K11 and 12, by switching the settings from "simulation" to "arcade."
    I'm gonna set up a full season and try recreate the Mavs' 2011 championship,
    What year of NBA Live? And what are you playing it on? Apparently there is still no fix for this.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    What year of NBA Live? And what are you playing it on? Apparently there is still no fix for this.
    ALL of them, on PPSSPP, RP3+. No fix to.be found.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the PS1 was the best console so far. Great exclusive title, great controller and very long lasting

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keilwerth View Post
    I think the PS1 was the best console so far. Great exclusive title, great controller and very long lasting
    There are still so many games I am discovering all these years later! Such a powerhouse of a console as far as games were concerned! What are some of your favorites?

@elevenism Yeaa, there are a few forums that have literally been trying to figure out a fix since 2011 lol.... Still nothing.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    what's weird to me is that the PS2 is the best selling console of all time, but there's really not THAT amazing games for it. The PS1 had an overall more memorable library imo.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    what's weird to me is that the PS2 is the best selling console of all time, but there's really not THAT amazing games for it. The PS1 had an overall more memorable library imo.
    Agreed. I'll never forget the hype when PS2 was being released... The graphical upgrade was the main thing people were so excited about, with nothing else (Even Nintendo) in the stratosphere of console gaming at the time.

My friend Jon's mom brought all of us to the mall to pick up his PS2. We came back with Tekken Tag Tournament and Oni... Let's just say Oni (Bungie West actually developed it) didn't get much playtime next to Tekken lol.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I do have really fond memories of Tekken Tag Tournament parties in college. I was a ninja w/ Hwoarang

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I do have really fond memories of Tekken Tag Tournament parties in college. I was a ninja w/ Hwoarang
    Opponents don't need to touch the ground....

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Hahaaa!

@Jinsai Hwoarang, Law, and Lei were my mains. I never played the sequel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Literally thinking the same way I have been thinking for a while now, and as a result I have been slowly collecting more hidden gem PS1 titles at the retro shop recently.

Surely there are so many more gems out there that I will never find the chance to hop on, but for now, it's been a blast to get into.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    ^^^ Hahaaa!

@Jinsai Hwoarang, Law, and Lei were my mains. I never played the sequel.
    You two can't see me, with Miss Ling Xiaoyu. I'm murderous.

So I didn't have a PS2 back then, but damn. This brings back memories.
    All the young dudes had a PlayStation and Tekken 3, in my circle, and extended circles, in the Dallas area.
    At every party or get-together, and every friend of a friend's house, SOMEBODY would turn that shit on.
    And everybody was GOOD at it.

My brother and I would play my LX vs his Brian Fury like, 100 times in a row.

Now: we both knew EVERY character, but those were our respective favorites.
    We likely, no shit, played that match at LEAST ten thousand times.
    We'd also do Mokujin vs Mokujin: THAT shit is the ULTIMATE test.

Honestly, the ONLY reason we had a PS1 was Tekken 2, and then 3.

I had SoTN and GTA 1, and my brother bought THRASHER (the REAL skateboarding game, compared to Tony Hawk), but it was mostly just the Tekken Machine.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-19-2023 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)

@elevenism Yeaa, there are a few forums that have literally been trying to figure out a fix since 2011 lol.... Still nothing.
    Ok, you know what ELSE fucking sucks?

With the 2k games, (not live), on PPSSPP, there's a fucking menu glitch, wherein the sub menus open BEHIND the menu you're on.

It's still perfectly playable...no slowdown, 3x resolution, all that shit, but it's impossible to unlock the full potential of the games.

@scribnation please to lay the names of your favorite hidden gems on me?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

With the 2k games, (not live), on PPSSPP, there's a fucking menu glitch, wherein the sub menus open BEHIND the menu you're on.

It's still perfectly playable...no slowdown, 3x resolution, all that shit, but it's impossible to unlock the full potential of the games.

Standalone PPSSPP and Retroarch have the same issue?

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Standalone PPSSPP and Retroarch have the same issue?
    I've not tried any PSP retroarch cores for these games, as, in my other PSP RP3+ adventures, well...retroarch ain't gonna properly play top notch psp.

That being said, it might be worth a try.
    'ppreciative . tis worth a shot.

Edit: sadly, yeah...same issue.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-21-2023 at 02:19 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The Legend of Dragoon is now available on PSN and Plus WITH trophy support and I am the happiest person on the planet right now.

This game needs a remaster or a full on remake.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've not tried any PSP retroarch cores for these games, as, in my other PSP RP3+ adventures, well...retroarch ain't gonna properly play top notch psp.

That being said, it might be worth a try.
    'ppreciative . tis worth a shot.

Edit: sadly, yeah...same issue.
    Damn, worth trying but I figured it would be the same.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    The Legend of Dragoon is now available on PSN and Plus WITH trophy support and I am the happiest person on the planet right now.

This game needs a remaster or a full on remake.
    I was just going to say that it was already remade but I confused the title with Panzer Dragoon.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I was just going to say that it was already remade but I confused the title with Panzer Dragoon.
    Hahaa, I can see why. Panzer is one of my favorite yester-year games.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    what they really need to remake from the ground up is Panzer Dragoon Saga. That game was brilliant, and the ending choked me up. It's a work of art and it's dumb that it's relegated to this. The other Panzer Dragoon games are cool, and I've had fun with the HD remake of 1 (which is currently on sale for like a dollar btw), but Saga was something special. I feel the same way about Panzer Saga that I do about Final Fantasy VII. There was this special kind of japanese/anime take on cyberpunk that has dated really well.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I played River City Ransom the last couple of days. Still a blast.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sorry for the late reply, been a busy college student...

But the hidden gems were from my late-Grandfather who just so happen to own PS1 games in his possession. Tetris Plus, NFL Gameday 99 and MLB 2000 are the hidden gems I think are worth hopping on from time to time. Recently got myself Gran Turismo, Spyro 1 and Snowboarding (A1 Games), yet so far, I really think these sports games from this era are worth to trying out too.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    So this is exciting. Not too many people know about the Samurai Spirits (Samurai Shodown) RPG in the west. It was never localized, and was obscure enough already since it was the only RPG released for the Neo Geo, and it was brought out on the Neo Geo CD. It was eventually ported to Playstation 1 and Sega Saturn, but still never outside of Japan, and never fan translated into English. For some reason due to the tile sets used for the characters, it was supposedly a huge pain in the ass to translate... though there was a French translated Rom, so I don't know...

Anyway, it's finally, surprisingly shown up as a fan-translated rom!

I'll have time to check it out tomorrow, but I've been waiting a while for this.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    At that time the backwards compatibility feature had to help ps2 sales. That feature was a great move that made 2 generations a single library on the ps2, and assured that most people who already had an investment in ps1 games would buy the ps2. But both systems individually had great libraries. It would be hard for me to pick one over the other. To this day I still have 30+ ps2 games, many of them bangers in my mind…

and 40+ equally great ps1 games…

It goes without saying this isn’t even a drop in the bucket for either catalogue. But many of my games still get playtime to this day. In fact, a few months back I got a levelhike since none of my current monitors supported the old inputs…

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    @ Dr Channard, there's some great stuff in the PS2 library... the GTA games, Suikoden 3 and 5, Dragon Quest 8, the Metal Gear games, God of War... some stuff like Rez and the Soul Calibur games... and you've got Rogue Galaxy, which is such an underrated game. I was also big into the original SSX game... and I really liked FF12. I'm a big JRPG fan though, so a lot of what appeals to me doesn't do much for the average person.

Maybe it's just that I don't have much nostalgia for the system, and the general graphical style doesn't rock my world.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    @poinoup my brother and i were MASSIVE super dodgeball fans (which is, in a strange way, a sequel to RCR), but we TOTALLY missed RCR.

I'm playing it, now, and HOLY SHIT. That's the craziest thing, when you find a fucking NES game, post 40 years of age, and it's mind blowing.

OH. And ANYONE playing retro games on emulators, ESPECIALLY retroarch (i think), look up Retro Achievements. It is SO much fucking fun.

It does what it says on the tin: you get modern day type achievements, but for Castlevania 3, or SMB2. It is a fucking HOOT.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    If you liked RCR, try Underground that was released a few years ago. You also might try River City Girls (I didn't like it for reason).

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    SO. @virushopper @Jinsai

I was NOT going to get an RP4 Pro; i haven't had my RP3+ long enough to justify the cost. I planned to wait for a 5 or whatever.

BUT, it took a hard fall onto concrete (read: my dumb ass dropped it outside the dr's office), and it started getting glitchy. It ISN'T the micro SD card, and, while the SOFTWARE side of these things is a big hobby for me, i've no idea for the fucking LIFE of me what could have gotten jiggled around in the hardware, that makes the damn thing randomly switch to netflix while i'm trying to get Die Hard Arcade going.
    And i just had a birthday on 3-1, and, i...well,

I have an Retroid Pocket 4 Pro on the way.

It's got a Dimensity 1100 under the hood, and appears to run damn near ALL Gamecube (at just universal settings), OSTENSIBLY almost all PS2, a reasonable amount of 3DS, and SOME SWITCH, ffs.
    It also runs systems like PSP upscaled DRASTICALLY.

Also, the color wave is like, PERFECT American SNES, with the grey and the face buttons.

MY big question is, does it run San Andreas?

SPEAKING OF WHICH: i have a PS2 and a PS3 and a stack of all the best games, sitting in a row, alongside my XBOX 1 (that a friend bought me; you guys know i don't purchase such things) and my hacked Wii/Gamecube rig.
    BUT, i've managed to lose ALL of the cords for the Playstations.

Does anyone have the power and plug-into-tv cords for either of those two, the Playstations? Perhaps you had one fuck up and it's collecting dust?
    I'll pay you.