Thread: Final Fantasy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    9 is hailed by many as a return to form
    This always bothered me. The people who loved IX seemed primarily happy that it did away with all the dark sci-fi stuff. For me that was the biggest let down. I grew up with the games, but it was with IV that it started getting good, with VI that it got great, and VII is still the best to date. Yes, the graphics are really horribly dated... it looks like Lego Final Fantasy now. The English translation was remarkably bad.

But VII finally got the world right and captured something really atmospherically perfect despite those faults. The game is still great now if you can get past the graphics. The pacing at which the world unfolds and expands is really flawless, the story is actually pretty good, the characters are memorable and interesting.

Still, a lot of the fans were split on it going in a new futuristic setting. They wanted a "return to form," forgetting that the origins of Final Fantasy were actually built around rampant fantasy trope plagiarism. The early games were plotless grinds filled with names and designs lifted directly from D&D, mythology, and Tolkien. It took a long time to move away from that towards something actually compelling... but let's throw all that away, have a "story" about a bad guy who wants to tap into a crystal, and go back to the generic fantasy setting, but this time let's update the look to be a bit more Disney.

blaaaaaaaah.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-21-2015 at 03:32 PM.