Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Rock

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Classic Rock

There are plenty of threads on the sort of pillars of the genre. This thread is dedicated more to the bands that probably don't merit a full, 10-page discussion on a Nine Inch Nails message board but are worthy of at least some discussion. Triumphs, tragedies, and everything in between as well.

Today is a dark day in the history of American music, when 35 years ago today, the plane crash that took the lives of Lynyrd Skynyrd's lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines and backup singer Cassie Gaines. It's not as game-changing as The Day The Music Died, or as culture-shocking as John Lennon's murder, but it remains one of Rock's most sad stories. Some of you have probably seen the episode of VH1's Behind The Music on the band, but for those who haven't and aren't familiar with this story, this Yahoo article lays it out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Good one. Can we talk, for a minute, about Terry Reid? You know, "Superlungs", the vocal powerhouse who came thisclose to being the frontman of what would become Led Zeppelin back when Jimmy Page was putting together the New Yardbirds? He's got some brilliant material, but my favourite from him is River, a rootsy, haunted-sounding record that received a very sexy vinyl reissue a few years ago. Here's the title track.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    My local mom & pop record store was playing one of Terry's albums (think it might have been his self-titled) on vinyl. The vintage scratched combined with the singing and guitar playing had me a bit transfixed. I didn't know but am not surprised he almost fronted Zeppelin.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Rod Stewart recorded this cover for his legendary Every Picture Has A Story and more recently was featured in the Zodiac trailer. This version was used in the opening of The Brothers Bloom and is on a Faces box set spanning their short career. They were inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this year, and recently has been touring with Mick Hucknall (of Simply Red) replacing Rod.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 02-08-2016 at 08:05 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It was a time of true soldiers

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Eric Clapton and his band toured Europe by train in 1978, and a documentary called "Eric Clapton and his Rolling Hotel" was filmed, but never released. Clapton put his band in a three-carriage train, originally at the disposal of Hermann Goering during the Nazi years in Germany, and traveled from town to town on the continent, from one concert to the next. It was an easy way to transport and house the band and equipment, and it offered ample opportunity for interviews, groups interactions, and filming. Clapton talks about his music and his works and peaks the viewers interest with stories about musicians like Hendrix and George Harrison. The interviews are supplemented with performances by Muddy waters, Elton John and George Harrison, as well as Clapton and his band. Tracks featured are Cocaine, Further On Up The Road, Lay Down Sally, Tulsa Time, Worried Life Blues, Early in the Morning, Badge, Wonderful Tonight, Key to the Highway, Double Trouble, Crossroads and Layla..

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Rod recorded this cover for his legendary Every Picture Has A Story and more recently was featured in the Zodiac trailer. This version was used in the opening of The Brothers Bloom and is on a Faces box set spanning their short career. They were inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this year, and recently has been touring with Mick Hucknall (of Simply Red) replacing Rod.
    I LOVE the Faces; this is a great video... what the hell happened to Rod Stewart anyhow? Yikes. Maybe they're better off with him out of the picture. Really hoping to see Ian MacLagan guest on one of The Rolling Stones' 50th anniversary shows this year (the one I am attending, most of all)! He was a really great second keyboardist for them during their Some Girls and Tattoo You era.
    Last edited by botley; 10-27-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Been listening to the entire Allman Brothers Band 2009 run at the Beacon Theater. It was dedicated to Duane Allman, and nearly all shows opened up with versions of Duane's "Little Martha", the final track on 1972's Eat A Peach. It was recorded two weeks before his motorcycle crash and has been the play-out music to many of their concerts. Many of the guests throughout this series of shows were people whom Duane played with outside of the ABB, including Boz Scaggs, Bonnie Bramlett, and Boz Scaggs. And most notably, Eric Clapton, who played and sang on many of the songs from the Dominos record and a few ABB originals as well.

Listening to the current line-up makes me appreciate more and more how special the original one was. At Fillmore East is about as solid a live record as there's ever been. The combo of Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks harkens back to Duane and Dickey Betts on the surface, but have styles of their own that is complementary to the old songs, as well as the other material done at these shows. The covers and little references to Hendrix, Coltrane, Dylan and The Beatles as well as the various old blues numbers they've done over the years seem as fresh and as unique as the original material the band has cultivated over the years.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-21-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I just wanted to say that THE Stevie Nicks 'double took(?)' & told me last night that I 'looked good'. I did a half-nod and said 'Thank-You.' Then she was gone.

That & I got a wink & a smile from Mick.

They both seemed to be in great spirits.

I LOVE my job.

*dies*
    Last edited by Stereo75; 05-13-2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Original post fail.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Gary would find success later on with Thin Lizzy, then as a solo artist again in the 80's and after but I really like this off-the-wall first record from 1973. Very Allman Bros./Santana influenced with a bit of prog for good measure (as well as the cosmic Hendrix-type rock of "Sail Across The Mountain").
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 05-24-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    always kind of a misnomer of a genre, especially considering nirvana, pearl jam, smashing pumpkins, etc. are actually played on classic rock stations these days... i guess it's the general definition of 20 years old being 'classic' in the same way cars are... it gets really messy if you don't set parameters, especially since it's the loosest genre next to 'alternative' as far as what the fudge it means.

but that said, when i think of classic rock i think of a 15 year or so era that eclipses the heavier rock from the late 60s, the 70s rock n' roll bands, and even some early 80s power pop crossover... not counting bowie, black sabbath, t.rex, pink floyd, beach boys, etc. (aka all the classic 60s/70s juggernauts that are worthy of having their own threads) as with all 'genres'- there are some gems. i've always been partial to blue oyster cult's hits, classic neil young (up through and including rust never sleeps), a handful of springsteen albums (nebraska/darkness on the edge of town), heart's greatest hits (BARRACUDA), nicks/buckingham-era fleetwood mac, the first king crimson record, a handful of alice cooper songs, the outfield's 'your love', those sappy carpenters songs, and even a handful of 70s aerosmith songs ('sweet emotion' and the like). i even find some guilty pleasure in the first boston record, though i probably haven't listened to it since i was a kid.

also, if you can count stuff like the mamas and the papas, tommy james, the moody blues, simon & garfunkel, the byrds, the animals, the kinks, the hollies, and a lot of the 60s psych HITS (zombies, etc.) then yes, absolutely. lots of gems in there.

that all said, my favorite 'classic rock' artist is EASILY tom petty & the heartbreakers. love most all he does, and even accidentally cribbed the beat for this song on a drum machine:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I consider Classic Rock anything from 1964 to 1979. Pretty much started with Beatles, and ended along with the 70's.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I consider Classic Rock anything from 1964 to 1979. Pretty much started with Beatles, and ended along with the 70's.
    Agreed. I get very bothered hearing Nirvana or Pearl Jam being played on classic rock radio.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm not bothered by it, but I think the idea of "Classic Alternative" isn't a bad idea for a more widespread format. The XM stations get it right.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm not a big Dead fan (an admirer though), but this sounds great. If there's anyone around to do those songs justice in that setting, it's Warren.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Agreed. I get very bothered hearing Nirvana or Pearl Jam being played on classic rock radio.
    You could argue that Nirvana and Pearl Jam are now "classic rock."

If Led Zeppelin was "classic rock" in 1994, wouldn't Pearl Jam be "classic rock" in 2014? I think a good rule of thumb should be anything that is 20-25 years old is now "classic rock," unless some new category is created.

As someone who came of age in the 1990s, albums like Ten and Nevermind may still seem new and albums like Led Zeppelin IV and LA Woman may still seem "old," but Ten and Nevermind are both almost 25 years old--they've been out for nearly a quarter of a century.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-22-2014 at 12:33 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Jesus Jones isn't Classic Rock FFS. Just because it's old doesn't make it "classic".

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Jesus Jones isn't Classic Rock FFS. Just because it's old doesn't make it "classic".
    They are of the "rock" genre, they're from the early 90s, so why not?

You can argue that "classic rock" doesn't mean something has to be "classic," it can just mean that it's old.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Everyone with a '93 Ford Taurus is gonna be stoked! Apparently, they own a "classic" car!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Everyone with a '93 Ford Taurus is gonna be stoked! Apparently, they own a "classic" car!
    Not sure if that analogy holds up...

Anyway, here is an interesting article:
    http://www.classicrockersnetwork.com...f-classic-rock

The writer argues that "classic rock" is from a certain era and has a certain sound, but states that other people view classic rock as something that is over 25 years old.

So it's debatable.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Not sure if that analogy holds up...
    That's why I posted it; reductio ad absurdum. Anyone making this 25-years-or-more argument is effectively saying that "classic" and "old" are synonymous, which of course they are not. Otherwise the genre would just be called "old rock" and eventually, 25 years after people stop making rock music, it'll be "rock".

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    The writer argues that "classic rock" is from a certain era and has a certain sound, but states that other people view classic rock as something that is over 25 years old.
    For the purposes of this thread, my thinking is more with what he thinks too. Bands from the 80's and 90's are more prone to have their own threads here.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It was easier to know what was considered classic rock 20 years ago, when it both met a certain category (era and sound) and was 20+ years old.

Now that bands from the 80s/90s are 20-30 years, it's harder to know.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Love classic rock, i’ve been listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival, Blue Oyster Cult, Jimmy Hendrix, Toto and Canned Heat.
    Been trying to get into Uriah Heep but not sure were to begin, some of those bands have such a monster discography it’s damn hard...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Love classic rock, i’ve been listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival, Blue Oyster Cult, Jimmy Hendrix, Toto and Canned Heat.
    Been trying to get into Uriah Heep but not sure were to begin, some of those bands have such a monster discography it’s damn hard...
    Heh, when I think Uriah Heep I always think of these two songs being on the radio in the 70s ALL THE TIME:

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Heh, when I think Uriah Heep I always think of these two songs being on the radio in the 70s ALL THE TIME:
    Thanks! local radio sucks around here so you can consider yourself lucky if you catch "Hotel California" by The Eagles in a weekday, i do know "Stealin', wasn't quite familiar with the other one, Cheers!

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    I feel that "Classic Rock" will always be "Classic Rock."

Hendrix. Old Heart. Led Zep. Etc.

80's rock..well, it depends on which "rock" we are talking about. There are two genres there...Hair Metal and New Wave.

the 90's, especially when PJ and Nirvana hit brought "alternative" to the forefront of everyone's vocabulary.
    Honestly, i would LOVE to see the word "alternative" retired and used to describe 90's rock (that wasn't metal.)

I feel quite certain that Classic Rock will always mean Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, that sort of thing. It will never come to mean Jane's Addiction and Primus and whatnot.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    I'm not bothered by it, but I think the idea of "Classic Alternative" isn't a bad idea for a more widespread format. The XM stations get it right.
    Sorry for the double post, but yes.

Also, what @botley said. (as usual)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Thanks! local radio sucks around here so you can consider yourself lucky if you catch "Hotel California" by The Eagles in a weekday, i do know "Stealin', wasn't quite familiar with the other one, Cheers!
    Here's another one:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    "Oldies" is 50s rock. "Classic Rock" is 60s thru 70s ALBUM-ORIENTED ROCK (no, not the fucking Carpenters).

80s is 80s. 90s is 90s.

I'd say if you want a whole lot of Classic Rock, go watch this movie:

Fuckin' FOGHAT, man!!!

Last edited by allegro; 05-22-2014 at 10:45 PM.