Thread: Soul (2020)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Personally, I plan not to see the film; as long as Disney executives continue buddying with/fundraising for the Trump administration and enforcing "apolitical" stances in their work, I'm not buying any of their products or supporting their product with my dollars. But I'm stoked TR & AR continue to work with cool directors and musicians (respect to Jon Batiste), the film could well turn out to be great. Artists don't deserve to be shamed for taking work because of their employers' bad corporate policies, those are ubiquitous at the level of work they're doing.

We had a robust discussion about this (minus the usual shit-disturbers) when TR and Rob Sheridan went to work for Apple Music... I hope it doesn't get dragged to the clickbait "FAN OUTRAGE" like that YouTube header above seems to be stirring up. Hopefully, NIN is donating their income from the 'sell-out' Marvel & Pixar collaborations (both divisions of Disney) to help organize and fight against the awful policies that these monstrous mega-corporations are buying from the American government.

That's just my two cents, looking forward to hearing the music.
    This seems legitimately strange to me. Reznor has been pretty vocal about hating the current president and now he's signed up to work for a company that's fine supporting him.

I also think it's a little strange that two white dudes are scoring a movie about jazz, called Soul...unless they are just doing the more cosmic stuff.

But hey, new music from TR and AR is new music from TR and AR.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I also think it's a little strange that two white dudes are scoring a movie about jazz, called Soul...unless they are just doing the more cosmic stuff.
    I mentioned Jon Batiste because he's writing/putting together the jazz parts of the soundtrack; presumably, TR & AR are just contributing to the background score. But who knows, maybe TR will play dat sax after all!

Yeah, there is way more than just one film production company in Hollywood that's "fine [with] supporting" Trump; it's part of the rigged game of American politics. Again, I don't begrudge the artists for making their money in any way; I just don't personally feel comfortable buying a ticket in this case.
    Last edited by botley; 08-26-2019 at 11:33 AM.