Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Unwound and all things related

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Unwound and all things related

I started this thread at the old ETS. Unwound were incredible and were introduced to me via Jinsai by way of their last album Leaves Turn Inside You some years ago. If you love Unwound, post about it. If you want to know more about them, ask about it. Anyone here ever get to see them live? Besides Brandt and Vern, Justin and Sara have been doing other projects for a long time. Now Justin and Brandt are back together in Survival Knife, and they'll be recording soon. Based on the bootlegs, I'd say it's the Hot Snakes to their Drive Like Jehu

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Unwound are amazing. Repetition and Leaves Turn Inside You are flawless albums, and I'll always speak strongly in favour of The Future of What too. I got really into them last year when I was checking to see how common the spelling "Scarlette" is for my daughter's name. First result was a YT video of the Unwound song and I fell in love from there. Although I did come up with the name on my own I am more than happy to be accused of naming her after that song.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ^^ Amazing. Can't say I don't toy around with naming my future daughter Scarlette, too

And The Future of What is so underrated. Three years ago it didn't even exist anywhere as a standalone upload online, only in a full discography torrent!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    New live album coming, plus a whole new official archive that's been in the works from the band. Amazing developments:

http://unwoundarchive.com/

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    New live album coming, plus a whole new official archive that's been in the works from the band. Amazing developments:

http://unwoundarchive.com/
    Nice! I have a bootleg (pink vinyl!) of an incredible live Unwound show... I should record that and upload it. I don't see it anywhere, and it's one of the best live albums ever (at least in the "wow that was an amazing unfiltered live show" sense).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That would awesome, Jinsai.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Ooh, the first release seems interesting. There seems to be a couple of tracks I haven't heard among the tracklist. I got all of my (legal) Unwound stuff from iTunes so lookung forward to getting some physical copies.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    aaaaaand the first vinyl release, the 4x LP 'Kid is Gone' box set has just gone up for preorders, limited to 1000 copies.
    and the set looks pretty incredible

put my preorder in

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    aaaaaand the first vinyl release, the 4x LP 'Kid is Gone' box set has just gone up for preorders, limited to 1000 copies.
    and the set looks pretty incredible

put my preorder in

Secured mine too. 4xLP version. Drooling right now!

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)

Unwound

Unwound is re-uniting for a short run of US shows! This makes me more excited than I have any right being.

If you've never heard their music, I'd actually really recommend starting with their last (and most ambitious) album, Leaves Turn Inside You, which is a post punk behemoth of a double album. Criminally underrated swan song from a band at their peak doing something completely new. It sits on the shelf next to anything.

But really you could start with any of their albums.

sometimes you laugh so hard you cry

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I walked into a Fry's Electronics in San Diego back in 2001 and saw the Leaves album. The cover art said something to me - still not sure what - and I had to buy it. Never had any experience with the band nor the genre so it was, uh, something.

Unwound -- 2023 Tour Dates
    Feb 3 - Seattle, WA - Showbox
    Feb 6 - Portland, OR - Revolution Hall
    Feb 10 - San Francisco, CA - The Regency Ballroom
    Feb 14 - Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern
    Mar 7 - Chicago, IL - Thalia Hall
    Mar 10 - New York, NY - Irving Plaza
    Mar 15 - Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer
    Fuck, I've already got a work trip scheduled the first week of February and I can't move it. figures.