Thread: Bad/Disappointing/WTF concert experiences

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Beasties Boys did a 9/11 benefit at Hammerstein two months after the event. There were a ton of uninteresting openers (I think everyone on the bill were NYers), but sitting through Cibo Matto was one of the toughest things I've ever done. Those two chicks are fucking AWFUL at whatever they're trying to do up there...art pop? Bad downtempo hip hop? Who knows. It didn't even resemble music for long stretches. I thought I was being trolled. Sean Lennon might as well have been in a coma up there too. Glad this "band" gave it up soon after, and then their reunion went nowhere a few years ago. WORST.

I stayed up all night at Bonnaroo 2008 after Pearl Jam ended their set to attempt to watch Kanye. That motherfucker didn't come on till 4:30am (which was kinda cool in a way b/c when will I ever see something like that again?)! From The Guardian:

It's not something a super-sized ego like Kanye West's is used to. But after arriving onstage over an hour-and-a-half late at Bonnaroo festival in Tennessee at the weekend, the rapper was pelted with glowsticks and jeered by the crowd. Problems with his Glow In The Dark stage set were blamed for the delay, which resulted in Kanye taking to the stage at 4.30am to cries of "Kanye sucks!" A spokesman for the festival claimed the set problems occurred because of the time it took to dismantle Pearl Jam's set, which had overrun by an hour prior to West's slot.
    He played to less than 20,000 people (maybe closer to 10) by the time his dumb ass got on stage whereas PJ was out there in front of around 80,000. If he would have just gone on without his silly Glow In The Dark stage fully set up, he could have performed at a reasonable hour. But noooooooo...

I visited a friend from college down in Virginia during the summer of 2001 or 2002. Some of his friends were going to Medeski, Martin & Wood at the outdoor amphitheater for the northern VA area, and he said we should just tag along. After this concert, I vowed to never go see bands I don't actually want to see. Those guys are immensely talented, but that shit was a tough slog from the lawn all the way in the back if you aren't into the material and dont know how it goes. The drug induced jam band types dancing around us didn't help matters. That show felt like a fucking eternity.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 08-08-2018 at 11:34 PM.