Page 44 of 128 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 3812

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Yeah, and how many CURRENT members of the GOP were trash-talking Trump until he was in power?

If Sanders ends up in the White House, it'll be a clear indication that the party's voters are ready for him, and the smarter people in office will be quick to acknowledge that and get on board.
    but the democrats have never been a fall-in-line party like the republicans.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Trump brought the Republicans around by fighting for what he said he'd fight for. And by lying quite a lot. Quite, quite a lot. Really, so much lots of lying.

Anyway, I could see Bernie doing this same thing sans lying. He has already, nearly single-handedly, moved the party quite a bit to the left and changed the conversation. Even the moderates would have to admit that their platforms have all been affected by Bernie. I can at least see the possibility of this playing out where centrist Democrats get more and more on board as time goes along.

I mean, just look at you silly fuckers. You're all a week or two away from being Bernie Bros.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    shame on CBS for allowing that fucking mess tonight. Part. the first 40 minutes or so (maybe more). I won't even get into the typical lies & smears that go my candidates way, I'm just outraged at all the crosstalking, going over time, arguing, etc that went on...the gaul to allow a Bloomberg ad to air during a commercial break (nevermind the anti-M4A one)...and the allowance of the bought & paid for DNC insider audience to hoot, holler & boo all night like this is WWE. It was disgusting frankly, and easily the worst debate yet. No one won.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 02-26-2020 at 02:41 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    all the crosstalking, going over time, arguing, etc that went on...
    The contrast flipping back and forth from this to the Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool documentary on PBS was hilarious.

I'm not a political person; I don't vote, etc. I was unsure if that's normally how these debates worked or if it was just a cluster. I'll tell you this though, that Pete guy is a smug fuck.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I'm not a political person; I don't vote, etc.
    This would be a great time to get educated and change that.

I was unsure if that's normally how these debates worked or if it was just a cluster.
    Regarding format, technically, yes, that's how they all work. Last night's debate, however, was horribly moderated. Atrocious. Embarrassing. To contrast, I thought the MSNBC debate in Nevada was fairly well run, Chuck Todd notwithstanding. It's a bit of a clusterfuck in the primary phase when there are so many candidates. As the field narrows the debates become more substantive and can 1. drill down on topics important to voters with multiple questions and follow-ups and / or 2. address a wide range of topics while still giving each speaker ample time. There are probably 2 too many heads on the stage to be truly effective in a 2-hour format.

I'll tell you this though, that Pete guy is a smug fuck.
    Yes.
    Last edited by cdm; 02-26-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    I mean, just look at you silly fuckers. You're all a week or two away from being Bernie Bros.
    Warren folks are the new Bernie Bros for 2020. Warren is tight though, she's no Bernie but she's no Hillary either.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Jesus, could the audience be anymore obvious about mostly being shills and lobbyists? Mothefuckers were BOOING legal weed! FFS, at least pretend to be in touch with voters who can't afford to own a fucking yacht.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

you just need to search Barry Sanders Garth Brooks for the why.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I was reading about that earlier. The comments people were leaving on his page....fucking hell. People like that are how we ended up with Trump.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Black Twitter ain’t playin.

Last edited by allegro; 02-29-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I went to the Sanders rally today in Boston and was about 30 feet away from Sanders at the podium. It was pretty exciting and he gave a great speech. I really do get it now--this is not about one man, it's a movement.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

Black Twitter ain’t playin.

Ah yes. Voting against your own best interests to own...yourselves?

Also, it’s South Carolina. Let’s see what happens on Super Tuesday.
    Last edited by Swykk; 02-29-2020 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Ah yes. Voting against your own best interests to own...yourselves?

Also, it’s South Carolina. Let’s see what happens on Super Tuesday.
    I don’t think that’s the way they see it. They know their own best interests. Southern blacks are southern blacks.

Meanwhile, Steyer dropped out tonight.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-29-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    What’s Joe’s positions on healthcare and expanding Social Security again? What’s his tax plan?

Riiiiiight.

Once again though, emphasis on it’s SOUTH CAROLINA. Not a bastion of forward thinking liberalism.
    Last edited by Swykk; 02-29-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I love Kenny so much.

And black people most certainly don't need white folks to determine what are their best interests. Yikes.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    What’s Joe’s positions on healthcare and expanding Social Security again? What’s his tax plan?

Riiiiiight.
    Go look ‘em up. Blacks’ issues aren’t necessarily your issues.

Whatever his or any Presidential plans are, they need a majority of a vote in Congress.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    At the end of the day, we all need to rally and vote against the angry orange cheeto. I'm convinced it was Bernie Bro mentality that lead us to the catastrophe of 2016. Whoever gets the nod....hold your nose and vote, because anyone but Drumpf is better than what we have.
    It's ok to aspire to the stars, but first we need to get off the damn planet.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I love Kenny so much.

And black people most certainly don't need white folks to determine what are their best interests. Yikes.
    Oh for fuck’s sake. Any time anyone remotely disagrees with you, this is your go to response. As if I pulled those specific policies of interest out of my ass. Jesus...you don’t like Bernie and Liz is losing. I get it but be honest about it. Come on. I admit I didn’t see you favoring Biden over Bernie, though so that’s a surprise.
    Last edited by Swykk; 02-29-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Considering that this was ALLLLLL OVER Black Twitter last night, it’s amazing that Tom Steyer came in 3rd today. Or, maybe it’s WHY he came in 3rd.

Last edited by allegro; 02-29-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I didn’t see you favoring Biden over Bernie, though so that’s a surprise.
    Where did she say that? I didn’t see her saying that at all. You’re reading a lot into one sentence about us white people needing to be very careful assuming what is in black peoples’ interests. She’s right about that. We don’t live black lives. We should never assume that their vote is “against their best interests.” I think THAT is what she was saying.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-29-2020 at 10:12 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    And that’s why I said I didn’t pull those specific policy questions out of my ass. I also read Twitter and the news. I stay as aware as one possibly can. Same as you. To “yikes” me is ridiculous. And she pulled nearly the same tactic—right on down to the sentence structure when I politely suggested that the Bernie/Liz squabble seemed like a misunderstanding not that long ago. It’s weak sauce.

As for assuming she favors Biden over Bernie, maybe that’s a reach but saying she loved Kenny after reading that tweet seemed like enough evidence to think that. I apologize if I’m wrong.
    Last edited by Swykk; 02-29-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    As for assuming she favors Biden over Bernie, maybe that’s a reach but saying she loved Kenny after reading that tweet seemed like enough evidence to think that. I apologize if I’m wrong.
    Kenny is a funny black gay guy on Twitter who is legendary. He is also totally KHive. And the KHive have gone Biden.

See Five Myths About Black Voters.

Meanwhile...
    This election sniping and bickering everywhere gives me a constant migraine. I wanna eject myself into the Sun.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-29-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Yeah that’s a fact (migraines). I hated that last debate.

I don’t get how anyone non Boomer could be into Bloomberg and Biden (not just from my own perspective as if I haven’t beaten that point home yet). It’s the south, though. I’m not too concerned yet.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Well, the South but also black people. Lots and lots of black people. I don’t think that should be underestimated.

Read the above article about black voters. The majority aren’t progressive.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...arent-liberal/

Biden is considered Obama liberal.

56% of the voters in the SC Democratic primary were black.

And, yeah, ugh, that last debate: THE WORST!

Time for migraine meds.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-29-2020 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Oh for fuck’s sake. Any time anyone remotely disagrees with you, this is your go to response. As if I pulled those specific policies of interest out of my ass. Jesus...you don’t like Bernie and Liz is losing. I get it but be honest about it. Come on. I admit I didn’t see you favoring Biden over Bernie, though so that’s a surprise.

Lmao. What? When? Where?

I honestly have zero clue who my second choice is. Everyone else is the same level of uninteresting and/or unrealistic to me, so it might come down to VP picks.

There are folks all over going on and on about how SC doesn't matter because they are "uneducated" and various other dog whistles that are par for the course at this point - which is why I said that Black folks certainly don't need white people to determine what is best for them.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    There are folks all over going on and on about how SC doesn't matter because they are "uneducated" and various other dog whistles that are par for the course at this point - which is why I said that Black folks certainly don't need white people to determine what is best for them.
    Yeah like eeeeek:

Meanwhile...

Last edited by allegro; 03-01-2020 at 12:55 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Ironically, I’m working on a project right now assessing the failures of desegregation and integration in the South and what policies can be implemented now to remedy that. Primarily with a focus on Black-centric institutions with equitable access to funding and other resources as opposed to forcing minorities to assimilate to the dominant culture to be deemed successful.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    just watched this again recently. Chapelle and Chris Rock hilarious and on point as ever.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I look at it this way - Bernie supporters need us for Bernie to win and we need them if we want to get Trump out, whether they fucking like it or not. That goes to passive supporters and the diehards. So, everybody needs to get out of their fucking mentions, stop reading Twitter, and go out there and vote for your favorite candidate because last night showed that even though Bernie has the clearest path to the nomination, Joe is still viable. Amy and Pete need to take a hard look and figure out if they're going to stay in this or drop out and consolidate their supporters behind Joe. Warren... we'll just see what happens on Super Tuesday.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Picture of the year contender.