Page 120 of 128 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 118 119 120 121 122 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,600 of 3812

Thread: 11/08/2022, The Midterms, aka build on 2020 aka The Election Thread

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I can't believe that both Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert got re-elected. What the hell America? This isn't a fucking team sport, and these people are as stupid as they are dangerous. And Matt Gaetz won 68% of the vote? WTF Florida?.
    Lauren Boebert is ahead by only 1,122 votes with 99% in, and there will be a recount.

A whole shit ton of area outside of Nashville is extreme conservative.

There’s a battle between extremists and “everyone else.”

Florida and Texas have become Mecca for extremists. The Census clearly shows movement from blue states to these states, and they’re extreme conservatives who want to live among other extreme conservatives.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-14-2022 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I’ve been hanging around on TikTok a lot lately.

And I’ve stumbled upon groups of people who truly believe that the Democrats are “lizard people” running a pedo ring and are really from another “matrix.”

One showed a video of a few Military guys and a K-9 golden retriever. The chick narrating the video points out that, as the one military guy with the K-9 approaches, you can see a fence through the guy. Meaning, HE’S TRANSPARENT. So, obviously, lizard person pedo ring Democrat from other matrix.

Never mind that there are 3 lenses on an iPhone and …

Anyway …

I’m not aiming to teach economics to people who are convinced that 86 million Democrats “cheated” in an election and are likely to be lizard people running a pedo ring, that JFK Jr. isn’t really dead, and that a Nest thermostat can hack a voting machine.

The biggest block of voters WERE around during Reagan. And a huge chunk of them are dumb racist assholes who pretend the economy matters when they’re out buying a new truck for $15k over sticker, hate anything “woke,” want to BUILD A WALL, and would pay zero taxes if they could but still want Social Security.
    Watch that fucking Qanon docuseries!

But, yeah.

Gas prices, supply chain issues, Geopolitical events with worldwide ramifications... You didn't know that was all up to the POTUS?

Biden sets the gas, food and energy prices, and has total control over any foreign conflict.
    He does all this in between eatin' christian babies with Obama and Tom Hanks and Oprah, and a secret cabal of Jews.

They LOVE babies. Don't believe in adrenochrome?

WATCH FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS (just make sure you don't READ anything by, or about, Hunter S. Thompson, or any MEDICAL FACTS, or the fucking history of Jewish people being fucked over since BEFORE JESUS).

All we gotta do is get Trump back. He DOESN'T eat babies.

He'll stop inflation and change gas prices and stop the global economic/energy crisis!

Remember how much he knows about Nuclear, from his uncle, and that he's the most important president of all time, and did more for black people than lincoln?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Watch that fucking Qanon docuseries!

But, yeah.

Gas prices, supply chain issues, Geopolitical events with worldwide ramifications... You didn't know that was all up to the POTUS?

Biden sets the gas, food and energy prices, and has total control over any foreign conflict.
    He does all this in between eatin' christian babies with Obama and Tom Hanks and Oprah, and a secret cabal of Jews.

They LOVE babies. Don't believe in adrenochrome?

WATCH FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS (just make sure you don't READ anything by, or about, Hunter S. Thompson, or any MEDICAL FACTS, or the fucking history of Jewish people being fucked over since BEFORE JESUS).

All we gotta do is get Trump back. He DOESN'T eat babies.

He'll stop inflation and change gas prices and stop the global economic/energy crisis!

Remember how much he knows about Nuclear, from his uncle, and that he's the most important president of all time, and did more for black people than lincoln?
    I miss Hunter S Thompson. I've read all his stuff. Towards the end, his column on the ESPN site was outstanding. I totally get why he gave up. Living in constant pain wears you down.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Kari Lake LOST!!!!

Yay!!!!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    awesome. now we need to make sure Walker loses at all costs.

edit: this is the latest I saw on the Lake race via the NY times (11 mins ago)

Republican Kari Lake won a large batch of votes from Maricopa County by a 57 to 43 percent margin, a tally that’s at once quite a bit short of what she would need to to overtake Democrat Katie Hobbs in the Arizona governor race but apparently not quite enough to prod the news networks into a quick race call.
    Last edited by versusreality; 11-14-2022 at 08:04 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    That was the last large vote dump. There’s now no way she can catch up. She needed more like 65%.

I REALLY wish we would have won In Wisconsin.

We won the Governor, and lost the Senate in Wisconsin. Really pisses me off.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-14-2022 at 08:46 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Good gravy. I have seen some say that her and Pelosi might retire this year, especially after the attack. One can hope.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    My God, people are stupid. There are rumors and allegations that Trump is once again asking to be named Speaker of the House.
    The Constitution does not directly state that the House Speaker must be a member of the chamber, but to date, the role has never been filled by an outsider.Boyle argued that the statute should be made clear, even if electing someone outside of Congress to serve as Speaker remains a long shot. His bill, titled the Mandating That Being an Elected Member Be an Essential Requirement for Speakership Act, would explicitly limit eligibility to current House lawmakers.
    “The Speaker of the U.S. House is second in the United States presidential line of succession. That Donald Trump’s name would even be tossed around as a potential speaker in the people’s house, should serve as an alarm bell that our current requirements need to be amended in the name of protecting our nation and our democracy,” Boyle said in a statement.
    Also, wasn't there supposed to be an announcement today? hmm.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Is this when we start the 2024 thread?

Trump makes it official

Former President Donald J. Trump was set to announce his 2024 presidential campaign from Mar-a-Lago Tuesday night.

But minutes before his scheduled 9 p.m. announcement from Mar-a-Lago, Trump filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) saying he was running for president in 2024 and setting up a fundraising account.

“Two years ago we were a great nation, and in two years we will be a great nation again,” Trump said Tuesday.

“Are you getting ready,” Trump said. “I am too.”

“Exactly one week ago, our citizens voted in the important midterm elections, and despite a ridiculously long and unnecessary period of waiting, far longer in fact than any third world country, just a short time ago, the Republicans won back control of the house of representatives,” Trump said.

“And it was with a great Trump-endorsed candidate Congressman elect Kevin Kiley, who is a fantastic person. A fantastic person. And I’m very happy, it was his vote that did it,” Trump said.
    kind of glad it was hard to find any information about this. I had to go all the way to r/conservative to find it and when I searched (not like a concerted effort, mind you) I didn't see anything on the news aggregators.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Is this when we start the 2024 thread?

Trump makes it official

kind of glad it was hard to find any information about this. I had to go all the way to r/conservative to find it and when I searched (not like a concerted effort, mind you) I didn't see anything on the news aggregators.
    Hopefully this drives a stake into the foul & evil heart of the Republican party. Obviously we can't let the Democrats go unchecked but we can hope that whatever rises from the ashes will be at least somewhat reasonable.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

lol

Last edited by allegate; 11-16-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Time to rename the thread:

11/5/2024

Who will the nominees be? DeSantis? Trump? Biden? Newsom?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I really dont want to see yet another Trump run, Biden either. They both need to step their old asses aside in favor of some new blood.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I really dont want to see yet another Trump run, Biden either. They both need to step their old asses aside in favor of some new blood.
    As much as I wish there were younger people in office, Biden's midterm performance was historic. We stand to actually GAIN a Senate seat, and we only lost, so far, anyway, 18 House seats. There are 9 seat’s remaining.

That's historic shit.

Changing Presidents at this point would likely be a fatal error.

And the Republicans are blaming Trump.

The Freedom Caucus wanted to pitch Kevin McCarthy as House Speaker, but in the interim were overruled ... he's still speaker for now. And it's likely that the Freedom Caucus will lose their power next year. They're a much smaller minority, now. Even Josh Hawley is going public with this "we need to rebuild the party" shit, essentially kicking Trump to the curb. They know that extremism just lost them yet MORE power, and it's going to continue.

The Biden / Harris administration has been pretty successful: https://www.whitehouse.gov/therecord/

Had the Democrats had several more agreeable Democrats in the Senate (vs. conservative Democrats like Manchin and Sinema representing conservative interests), lots more would have gotten done.

Here is a list of the Act of the 117th United States Congress

As to renaming this thread: The Midterms are not totally done. House votes are still being counted, and the Georgia runoff is on December 6th.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-16-2022 at 05:40 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    As irritating as Trump is, he has zero chance of winning.

DeSantis might actually win, and is arguably more dangerous.

I'd almost welcome another Trump run just because of that.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I am a little concerned about Biden's age. If he is re-elected he will be 86 when he leaves office. I don't think that's a deal-breaker (look at Jimmy Carter), but it is a concern.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I am a little concerned about Biden's age. If he is re-elected he will be 86 when he leaves office. I don't think that's a deal-breaker (look at Jimmy Carter), but it is a concern.
    He's still totally competent. And, he's surrounded by competent people he trusts. He stresses that all the time. He's not "running" the country all by himself. He relies on a team of trusted advisors across the board, in every area.

Just as Presidents are supposed to do.

He has a law degree, and he still cites law and areas of the Constitution. He still quotes favorite poetry. He still cites Montesquieu.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg continued to sit on the Supreme Court of the United States, fully competent and writing opinions, until she was 87.

Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. was 90 when he retired. So was Justice John Paul Stevens.

Biden's gaffs have been there for decades. They don't reflect his mental capacity.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-16-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I actually think Trump has a better chance than DeSantis. Hard to envision a scenario where Trump doesn't get the nomination, accepts his loss, and then his die hard followers show up in November to vote for someone else.

Biden isn't going to drop out. This weird hypothetical scenario, I get that it's fun to talk about but I don't see it happening. I'd love to see Newsom make it though. I love Gavin Newsom.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    He's still totally competent. And, he's surrounded by competent people he trusts. He stresses that all the time. He's not "running" the country all by himself. He relies on a team of trusted advisors across the board, in every area.

Just as Presidents are supposed to do.

He has a law degree, and he still cites law and areas of the Constitution. He still quotes favorite poetry. He still cites Montesquieu.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg continued to sit on the Supreme Court of the United States, fully competent and writing opinions, until she was 87.

Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. was 90 when he retired. So was Justice John Paul Stevens.

Biden's gaffs have been there for decades. They don't reflect his mental capacity.
    I think Biden's totally competent to be president, right now. I have no doubt that Biden has a strong team of advisors too.

While I think anyone calling him senile is horseshit and there is a lot of ageism directed towards him, his age is a legitimate issue should he decide to run for a second term.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I actually think Trump has a better chance than DeSantis. Hard to envision a scenario where Trump doesn't get the nomination, accepts his loss, and then his die hard followers show up in November to vote for someone else.

Biden isn't going to drop out. This weird hypothetical scenario, I get that it's fun to talk about but I don't see it happening. I'd love to see Newsom make it though. I love Gavin Newsom.
    If DeSantis is the Republican nominee Trump won't take it well. He will cry foul, say it was stolen, etc. Probably most doners and voters won't care, but if enough Trump diehards stay home, it could help Biden (or whoever the Democratic nominee happens to be).

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    That's what a co-worker was saying this morning, Gul. That the MAGA lunatics may not come out to vote if he's not ultimately the GOP candidate. I hope that's the case too.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It’s only a “legitimate issue” if people make it one.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-17-2022 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    As irritating as Trump is, he has zero chance of winning.

DeSantis might actually win, and is arguably more dangerous.

I'd almost welcome another Trump run just because of that.
    DeSantis is popular in Florida, but he doesn’t seem to have as much likability outside of Florida.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-17-2022 at 07:16 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    There needs to be a viable national candidate and until the Democrats stop the weird purity tests for each fractioned piece of the party there aren't going to consider anyone to be a quote-unquote good candidate. Ranked choice voting nationally? Maybe we'll get there. Maybe if the Republicans actually break apart in the the sane and insane parties they so desperately need to be in we'll see some movement on that, it did wonders in Alaska.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It’s only a “legitimate issue” if people make it one.
    And they are right to. Yes, he could step down, but whose to say that he will? It's not crazy to think that an 86 year old might have dementia. I will vote for Biden if he is the nominee, but his age going into a second term is a legitimate concern.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    And they are right to. Yes, he could step down, but whose to say that he will? It's not crazy to think that an 86 year old might have dementia. I will vote for Biden if he is the nominee, but his age going into a second term is a legitimate concern.
    Dementia is the symptom of a disease, it's not a symptom of age.

It is abnormal to think that an 86-year-old might have dementia if there's no evidence that he has a disease that would cause dementia. This is a common misconception about dementia, that it comes with "aging."

My stepmother died of Alzheimer's. By the time she died, she was nonverbal, couldn't walk, couldn't eat and was on a feeding tube.

She was 62.

Robin Williams killed himself at aged 63. He had Lewy Body dementia.

My little brother had AIDS dementia or HIV encephalopathy. He died at aged 37.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-16-2022 at 07:11 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    And I haven’t seen stuff indicative of dementia. He’s had some “yikes” moments but it’s not in line

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Dementia is the symptom of a disease, it's not a symptom of age.

It is abnormal to think that an 86-year-old might have dementia if there's no evidence that he has a disease that would cause dementia. This is a common misconception about dementia, that it comes with "aging."

My stepmother died of Alzheimer's. By the time she died, she was nonverbal, couldn't walk, couldn't eat and was on a feeding tube.

She was 62.

Robin Williams killed himself at aged 63. He had Lewy Body dementia.

My little brother had AIDS dementia or HIV encephalopathy. He died at aged 37.
    According to the Alzheimer's Association, 32 percent of people over the age of 85 have Alzheimer's. I understand that there are different types of dementia, but we are talking about Alzheimer's. 32 percent means that statistically speaking there is nearly a 1 in 3 chance that Joe Biden could develop Alzheimer's disease during a second term. So yes, for me his age is an issue.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    We need Elizabeth Warren as president. I have a lot of issues with Biden like being owned by the big banks in Delaware & letting the gas companies run amok. Better than the alternative though. The whole 2 party system is so corrupt that it's beyond saving. We need a legitimate third party led by someone sane like Mark Cuban. Look what he's doing with his pharmacy. Very innovative & doing a lot of good. As far as ranked voting goes, it's a hair brained uber liberal scheme. I'm pretty liberal but I'm big on common sense & that's sadly lacking in a lot of circles. If you think people don't trust the integrity of the voting system wait until that takes hold somewhere. We need to eliminate the electoral college (put in place to placate slavery states) & do something about gerrymandering. With the Supreme Court packed with conservatives it won't happen. It's too bad that the Democrats didn't have the testicular fortitude (sorry ladies, WWE reference) to stand up to the GOP while they were packing the court. Basically, the US has had it's day in the sun. Historically when the military becomes the whole economy, the empire is done. I worked in the military industrial complex for over a decade & I could tell some tales but they made me sign a NDA when I left. Rome, Britian, the list is long & it's the same song on repeat. I've given up hope. I just feel bad about what the kids growing up now will have to deal with.