Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Rerelease 2019 (With Teeth)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    To confirm, the flacs were 24/96 for the previous round of definitive editions, likewise for the WT DE - the flac download is 24/96. Though I doubt they're really exploiting that resolution, since TR confirmed a while ago that they work at 24/48. Their reason for using 24/96 is explained here:

The DE versions are at 24/96 because: we re-assembled the records from the original mix sources (some were analog 1/2", some were DAT, some were PT sessions) and our mastering engineer processed them in the analog world and recorded them back to digital at the higher resolution.
    With Teeth was recorded at 24/96 in Pro Tools HD, mixed down in analogue to an even higher resolution. The DualDisc DVD-Audio MLP stereo track is also 24/96. This was the gear list when they were still calling it Bleedthrough (fifteen fucking years ago):

I think it was a few years after this, possibly during The Social Network scoring sessions, when they switched to 24/48 for everything.
    Last edited by botley; 11-24-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I think it was a few years after this, possibly during The Social Network scoring sessions, when they switched to 24/48 for everything.
    It was actually just before Social Network when they were working on the first How To Destroy Angels EP.

June 23 2010FLAC quality
    George Kalamaras: Ghosts was released in 24bit 96000hz. How come this time around we're not getting the full experience?

HTDA: We recorded this at 24bit 48k because we're currently subscribing to the belief that it actually sounds better than 96k. Hence, no reason for larger files to be distributed.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Funny he should mention nothing studios here. Was this before the van in the desert photo and their relocation to LA?

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I can't imagine how much the hard drives to hold all of the tracks cost back in 2005.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    The guy owns an SSL console. Even in 2005 the hard drives would have been a drop in the ocean compared to that.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ I believe he sold that SSL to Alan Moulder when they closed Nothing Studios. And, yes, this was before the van rollover in the desert.
    Last edited by botley; 11-24-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    The guy owns an SSL console. Even in 2005 the hard drives would have been a drop in the ocean compared to that.
    I am normal peasant out here in the real world. Just trying to imagine something I can relate to.

^ I believe he sold that SSL to Alan Moulder after they closed Nothing Studios. And, yes, this was before the van rollover in the desert.
    Van rollover?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    Van rollover?
    Sometime in September 2004 when someone driving the van full of Nothing Studios' synth gear from New Orleans to Los Angeles rolled it, somewhere around Sedona, AZ.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Sometime in September 2004 when someone driving the van full of Nothing Studios' synth gear from New Orleans to Los Angeles rolled it, somewhere around Sedona, AZ.
    This is the first time I've heard of this. Are there any photos? Was anything lost?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    There was a photo on nin.com at the time which I only recently see reposted somewhere on this board, sorry I can't be more help.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    ninwiki to the rescue once again
    http://www.nin.wiki/File:9-09-04.jpg

Last edited by fillow; 11-24-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Yikes!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    ninwiki to the rescue once again
    http://www.nin.wiki/File:9-09-04.jpg

Of course, what else would it be besides a black van lol

But seriously, I hope noone was hurt

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtuck90 View Post
    Ive always picked the wav for the hi res but I decided to pick the FLAC option this time not realising it could only be 16/44. I suppose if it is the download card with the vinyl itself will give me the option
    You won't need to. The current FLAC download is 24/96, and it was only ever less on one previous release, and they fixed it later.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I hope noone was hurt
    This is what matter most.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKNALv_X...jpg&name=small

It’s always a treat when the FLACs have embedded lyrics.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    I am normal peasant out here in the real world. Just trying to imagine something I can relate to.
    So on my first reading of your reply I thought it seemed really salty but then I think perhaps you thought the same? Apologies, no snark or salt was intended. I hope we're good.

I'm a relatively normal dude too but I did work as a system administrator in 2005 and was managing disk arrays for a University so that obviously influences how I thought about it.

FWIW I do often ponder how "hands-on" someone like Trent is (or isn't) on preserving all their stuff. I mean I'm sure Trent is meticulous in terms of preserving stuff but I don't know whether he's doing that all himself or outsourcing it. Well heck I can't imagine he's got a pile of synology NAS appliances sitting around his studio and popping drives in and out himself, but on the other hand I wonder how much he would "trust" the proper preservation if he was leaving the management of it seriously arms-length. It's one of those interesting-to-me-but-ultimately-quite-mundane questions that I guess nobody who gets the face time will ever bother asking. Haha I wonder if "gearslutz"-style interviews ever go into that side of things: "so moving on from guitar pedals, how do you feel about shingled Hard-discs? what RAID level is right for the jobbing musician?"

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    got an e-mail from merchbar this morning that WT (and birdbox) are available from them, in case anyone missed out from the nin webstore.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    got an e-mail from merchbar this morning that WT (and birdbox) are available from them, in case anyone missed out from the nin webstore.
    Thank you! Birdbox sold out before I even knew it had released.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    Thank you! Birdbox sold out before I even knew it had released.
    FYI: Bird Box has been going in and out of [presale] availability all day on store.nin. It appears SOLD OUT! is more of a Wait A Second!...at least so far.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    So on my first reading of your reply I thought it seemed really salty but then I think perhaps you thought the same? Apologies, no snark or salt was intended. I hope we're good.

I'm a relatively normal dude too but I did work as a system administrator in 2005 and was managing disk arrays for a University so that obviously influences how I thought about it.

FWIW I do often ponder how "hands-on" someone like Trent is (or isn't) on preserving all their stuff. I mean I'm sure Trent is meticulous in terms of preserving stuff but I don't know whether he's doing that all himself or outsourcing it. Well heck I can't imagine he's got a pile of synology NAS appliances sitting around his studio and popping drives in and out himself, but on the other hand I wonder how much he would "trust" the proper preservation if he was leaving the management of it seriously arms-length. It's one of those interesting-to-me-but-ultimately-quite-mundane questions that I guess nobody who gets the face time will ever bother asking. Haha I wonder if "gearslutz"-style interviews ever go into that side of things: "so moving on from guitar pedals, how do you feel about shingled Hard-discs? what RAID level is right for the jobbing musician?"
    I've been an IT Engineer (SAN admin as well) my entire life although not as hands-on as I used to be (manager role now). But I can relate to what you are saying. Does he have an flash Pure Storage array just churning the crap out of all the files he's saving? LOL.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I jumped on Deviations the day it was announced because it said "ONE TIME PRESSING, WHEN IT'S GONE IT'S GONE." Bird Box doesn't have any text like that, but Deviations is still available on nin.com, as well as Amazon for $20 less. I've seen it in multiple record stores too, so I'm wondering if Bird Box will be the same, or if it is really limited just to nin.com. I just can't justify that pricetag right now, but I'd hate to miss out.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I jumped on Deviations the day it was announced because it said "ONE TIME PRESSING, WHEN IT'S GONE IT'S GONE." Bird Box doesn't have any text like that, but Deviations is still available on nin.com, as well as Amazon for $20 less. I've seen it in multiple record stores too, so I'm wondering if Bird Box will be the same, or if it is really limited just to nin.com. I just can't justify that pricetag right now, but I'd hate to miss out.
    Same exact dilemma here. And given that the EU store has way fewer copies in stock I really don't know what to do.
    I asked the US store but they answered that they didn't know whether it was a limited edition or not..

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
    Same exact dilemma here. And given that the EU store has way fewer copies in stock I really don't know what to do.
    I asked the US store but they answered that they didn't know whether it was a limited edition or not..
    don't know about the rest of your questions but it's not exclusive to nin.com, however i have no idea if the merchbar purchase comes with a download

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    don't know about the rest of your questions but it's not exclusive to nin.com, however i have no idea if the merchbar purchase comes with a download
    I think merchbar is somehow connected to nin.com. It seems they always have the same items at the same price as nin.com, including exclusive tees and whatnot. I could be wrong, but that's the vibe I've always gotten from them.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I think merchbar is somehow connected to nin.com...I could be wrong, but that's the vibe I've always gotten from them.
    This has been my assumption as well.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    You can buy deviations right now for $49 on discogs lmaooooo

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The constant dunking on Deviations is probably why there’s no special “limited time only!!!!!!!!!” language attached to Bird Box. Trent almost certainly got the message in that regard. So if it sells out it sells out.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    The constant dunking on Deviations is probably why there’s no special “limited time only!!!!!!!!!” language attached to Bird Box. Trent almost certainly got the message in that regard. So if it sells out it sells out.
    also, like...yeah, the physical package of deviations was not as great as we all would have liked. but the music is so fucking good​.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Mine just shipped from the nin.com store

I'm listening to the digital versions on good headphones and a pretty alright system, I'll have to listen to some tracks one after the other with the original versions, but certainly it seems like the new remaster is fantastic. Drums and bass seem more present, and powerful. Really happy with this.

With Teeth came out at a really special, scary and wonderful time in my life. It really was the soundtrack for much of my life back then. I had loved NIN since well before that, when I was a kid in the early 90s, and my love for NIN grew with every release. With Teeth just came along right at the perfect time for me, I was going through a lot of really intense stuff, but also a lot of amazing times. Basically I grew up a lot in those years in my mid 20s, and this album was with me all the way.

With Teeth was also the first time I got to see NIN live (and ended up going to many more since), and that will always forever be burned into my memory. Still to this day when I think of Trent "smashing" the cloth screen during BYIT and it "shatters" and then the curtain lifts up. Goddamn was amazing. Still gives me chills just thinking about it.

Anyway, I know this album isn't the top of everyone's list like TDS or The Fragile, but I really really love it in it's own different way. This is a great release.
    Last edited by Sandy Phimester; 11-26-2019 at 04:54 PM.