Thread: 2017.07.19 - Bakersfield, CA @ Rabobank Arena

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Breathe... breathe... okay, here are my thoughts:

- I wanted so much for a Branches/Bones opening, and I got it. Perfect way to kick things off.

- Less Than was as good live as we knew it would be.

- The Lovers was great live. I'm not sure how I feel about Trent literally holding up a recording of the verses to the microphone, but it worked.

- Burning Bright seemed awesome, but we spent most of it trying to get a fucker kicked out, so hopefully they play it again on Sunday.

- Parasite without Mariqueen seemed like a strange choice, especially with so many new tracks that went unplayed, but whatever, it sounded good.

- I Can't Give Everything Away made me lose my shit. So beautiful and such an incredible surprise.

- Burn! Reptile! The Great Destroyer!

- The same old Wish/THTF/HLAH/Hurt closer. There was an encore break before Hurt, which made it seem like we'd be getting another 2-3 songs, but nope, just Hurt.

- It seemed like Trent's voice was giving out during THTF and HLAH, so it's possible the encore break was just so he could recover, but probably not. We'll see if it's the same on Sunday.

- The visuals were great. Minimal but versatile, familiar, and interesting.

- Seeing Atticus up there was wonderful, though (to no one's surprise) he didn't do much.

- Alessandro is starting to look a lot like Rainn Wilson.

- Robin and Ilan were their usual glorious selves.

- The crowd was... decent. It's always a bummer when people around you don't know the newer stuff- particularly when that means they just stand there instead of trying to get into it- but I was also pleasantly surprised to hear a lot of people screaming along to the choruses of Burning Bright and Less Than.

- The set list was pretty perfect. One or two more new songs would've been welcomed, and I'm always bummed when THTF takes precedence over about a hundred other songs I'd rather hear, but those are tiny gripes for a show that did a great job of giving everyone something to love.

Okay, bedtime. So happy I got to experience this and meet some wonderful ETSers in the process!
    Last edited by Toadflax; 07-20-2017 at 02:17 PM.