Thread: Add Violence

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    It pisses me off that:

- Some people edit versions of The Background World to remove the looping second half.
    - Some people edit versions to keep the looping part, but remove the off-beat cut of silence between each loop because 'it flows better.'

I don't know which one is more annoying. With the first one you're basically neutering the entire song but with the second one you're actually trying to rewrite the music instead of just removing something. The 'skip' that happens from the silence wasn't an accident or an oversight, it's an essential part of the sound that is supposed to be off-putting and wrong. One of Trent's strongest fortes has always been crafting an inherent pain or ugliness to the music so who tf are these people who decided that suddenly this is crossing the line and they have to fix Trent's mistakes lmao.
    Then you'll be even more pissed to learn that I've done quite a few edits (as well as extensions) of Nine Inch Nails songs over the past few years.

Also, is it any different from creating a remix of a song? Look, I dig the outro a lot, but unless I'm listening to the full EP, I don't always have the patience to listen to the whole track. So...yeah...I made my own personal edit of it (which, by the way, is probably a little different from what everyone else has done) for when I just want to hit shuffle and see where things go, and I don't feel a bit bad about it. I doubt Trent and Atticus are sitting at home, browsing through YouTube and cursing fans who have supposedly defiled their work.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 06-23-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Then you'll be even more pissed to learn that I've done quite a few edits (as well as extensions) of Nine Inch Nails songs over the past few years.

Also, is it any different from creating a remix of a song? Look, I dig the outro a lot, but unless I'm listening to the full EP, I don't always have the patience to listen to the whole track. So...yeah...I made my own personal edit of it (which, by the way, is probably a little different from what everyone else has done) for when I just want to hit shuffle and see where things go, and I don't feel a bit bad about it. I doubt Trent and Atticus are sitting at home, browsing through YouTube and cursing fans who have supposedly defiled their work.
    Same. I've remixed a dozen or so songs, but for a few, I've just muted certain elements in order to highlight something else tucked away or less noticeable. "The Perfect Drug" is one of my favorite songs so I made a seven and a half minute version with the stems. I don't consider these better than the originals, just different and, in some cases, more enlightening. Also, the idea that someone could be pissed off about how anyone chooses to listen to Nine Inch Nails is kind of silly. Reznor released multi tracks SPECIFICALLY so people could fuck with, alter, and experiment on his work.

Also, as someone posted somewhere recently, I only listen to the edited TBW in my trilogy playlist to mitigate the two closers (TBW and OAO), not when I'm listening to AV...although I usually stop the album when the degradation begins.
    Last edited by paul_guyet; 06-23-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Same. I've remixed a dozen or so songs, but for a few, I've just muted certain elements in order to highlight something else tucked away or less noticeable. "The Perfect Drug" is one of my favorite songs so I made a seven and a half minute version with the stems. I don't consider these better than the originals, just different and, in some cases, more enlightening. Also, the idea that someone could be pissed off about how anyone chooses to listen to Nine Inch Nails is kind of silly. Reznor released multi tracks SPECIFICALLY so people could fuck with, alter, and experiment on his work.
    Yep, I've done a lot of messing around with the multitracks that are out there, as well as making edits or extended versions of tracks just for shits and giggles. It's like I said in the Controversial Opinions thread: it's fun to play with how malleable art can be for your own pleasure.