Thread: Black Mirror - Charlie Brooker

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    These seem to be getting increasingly far fetched, there were a lot of cool ideas in the last episode but not much of it was explained properly, we didn't even find out what exactly those strange camps were, or how they came to be in them.
    Last edited by isak; 12-13-2011 at 03:24 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by isak View Post
    These seem to be getting increasingly far fetched, there were a lot of cool ideas in the last episode but not much of it was explained properly, we didn't even find out what exactly those strange camps were, or how they came to be in them.
    In interviews, Charlie Brooker said that scripts were much longer, explaining everything. They were cut down by the higher powers.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Seems pretty obvious the cycles provide kinetic energy. My guess, it's a human power station with mandatory participation from a certain age (probably immediately after school or uni, reflecting the shit-upon nature of early careers in real life); you buy your way out with a certain number of Merits, earned by cycling. Treadmills would have been a more obvious metaphore, but the more static nature of a cycle fits well with the commentary on entertainment culture.

Anyway, I thought the episode/mini-film/whatever was amazing (missed the first one, but hoping to see it tonight). A more subtle version of Orwell's 1984, transposed to current culture. I loved that despite the futuristic portrayal, every piece of tech, culture and sociology is in the world today. It's entirely plausible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't really feel like you needed to know anything about the camps or how the people got there in order to understand the point Brooker was trying to make?
    Love love loved the last episode. Think it should be compulsory TV.