Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Man in the High Castle

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

The Man in the High Castle

I'm a little surprised that there isn't a thread for this truly amazing show. I started watching this fall and have been hooked (five more episodes to go). Amazing "what if," what could have happened had history been slightly different. My favorite character is John Smith, a Nazi bastard, but is he truly evil, or is he just a victim of circumstances? In one life he's a salesman and an American loving patriot with a Jewish best friend. But if events had been different he would have been the top ranking American Nazi. After the American defeat it was all about saving his family and the swastika armband was "just a piece of cloth" that meant his family could eat. Or at least that's how it started.

I also really like
    Chief Inspector Kido; again, is he evil? Or is he just adhering to his code and can he really justify all his actions as in the service of the Empire?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was a massive fan of the book and I think the series did a pretty great job of not only adapting Philip K Dick's story but expanding upon it. Season 2 in particular feels very much like something he would have written IMHO (and I know they used what little existed of an unfinished sequel for inspiration). So great job on that front.

I did feel the series took a misstep in the third season but got back on the right track for its fourth but the performances remained mesmerising throughout.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchymagpie View Post
    I was a massive fan of the book and I think the series did a pretty great job of not only adapting Philip K Dick's story but expanding upon it. Season 2 in particular feels very much like something he would have written IMHO (and I know they used what little existed of an unfinished sequel for inspiration). So great job on that front.

I did feel the series took a misstep in the third season but got back on the right track for its fourth but the performances remained mesmerising throughout.
    I thought that season 4 was excellent and maybe the best. I'm not quite sure that I understand the ending though. This article tries to explain.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd go for the first two seasons as my favourites, personally, as I enjoyed the slightly more schlock vibe (with the over-dramatic cliffhangers and all) whereas I think it started taking itself too seriously, but season 4 was definitely a good one.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchymagpie View Post
    I'd go for the first two seasons as my favourites, personally, as I enjoyed the slightly more schlock vibe (with the over-dramatic cliffhangers and all) whereas I think it started taking itself too seriously, but season 4 was definitely a good one.
    While I liked season 3, especially the scenes between Frank and Chief Inspector Kido, and Helen Smith taking her daughters to the neutral zone, a lot of that season seemed superfluous to the series overall and what become of Ed? Also, I didn't like how Trade Minister Tagomi was just killed right off the bat at the start of season 4, he wasn't even in the episode. Seemed pretty anticlimactic for a major character.

On the plus side, I hated Joe Blake and he got exactly what he deserved.