Thread: Primus & Les Claypool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Awesome, I can see my head in a couple of those shots. Had rail, pretty much right in front of Les for this. Pretty awesome show. Was anyone else there?

The funny thing is that I had a really bad stomach-ache/nausea for the first 5-6 songs, and it was bad enough where I thought I might have to leave my spot and/or the show altogether. As soon as the first Aenima notes were played, I instantly felt better; and it lasted that way for the rest of the set. It was quite bizarre. I came to the conclusion that Tool can cure sickness.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was at Riot Fest but not the after show. They sounded great, was mainly waiting on Weezer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was at the solo show Saturday. It was great to see Primus again after so many years. It was also great to see Danny out of his element and that he's human after all.
    First the good

Decent setlist with a decent mix of songs, it was a little heavy on seas of cheese, but I was ok with that. They also played for about an hour and a half. The jams weren't too long either which was nice. Danny played the songs pretty much verbatim with a little touch of his own style. Danny made a few mistakes here and there but I chalk that up to nerves as it was his first show.

The Bad.
    The opening band, whatever their forgettable name was, was just AWFUL. a 3 piece trip hop band was not the way to warm that crowd up. The other shitty part was the opening band didn't even start until 11:10pm. this was hands down the latest show I've ever been too. it didn't get wrapped up until 2:10am
    Now Danny's playing was pretty spot on minus forgetting how to end a few songs, but the way his drums were mixed was not flattering. either his toms weren't mic'd, or he was using the overhead mic technique unsuccessfully. Because you couldn't hear a lot of his fills, now they did correct this somewhat after the first few songs, but it still wasn't quite right.

Overall good show, 7/10 for sure.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    The opening band, whatever their forgettable name was, was just AWFUL. a 3 piece trip hop band was not the way to warm that crowd up. The other shitty part was the opening band didn't even start until 11:10pm. this was hands down the latest show I've ever been too. it didn't get wrapped up until 2:10am
    Literal LOL when I read that, because yes. I'm usually very very nice to openers, but uggh. Not sure where you were in the crowd, but I've never seen/heard so much hate for an opener. It was advertised as "A Night with Primus" (was even on the posters), which I kinda just thought meant it'd be only them for a 90-120 min set.

The show was good. 7 out of 10 is about right, but I'd personally go to 8, just because it was a special night w/ Danny.

Not travelling specifically for Primus, but I'll be seeing them again with Carey in Denver. Anyone else gonna be at Riot Fest there?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Broadbent, I noticed that with Danny's drums too at Riot Fest. Everything sounded muffled for him...not sure why. I guess they didn't configure the mics right for his drum set I suppose.