Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Motherfuckin Beastie Boys!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

The Motherfuckin Beastie Boys!

Adam Yaunch (aka MCA, aka Nathaniel Hornblower) has passed away. He died of cancer at 47, and it's a goddamn tragedy but he was a total badass during his life, so let's celebrate the good moments here and remember how awesome this guy was.

Farewell, Adam, you enriched many lives during your brief stay.
    Last edited by Magtig; 05-04-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    FUCK!! FUCK. I'm floored by this news, the Beasties were one of my favorite bands ever, and MCA was probably my favorite BBoy. I was so looking forward to Hot Sauce Committee part 1 (part 2 kicked major ass). He definitely went out with a bang, musically speaking.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Gideon Yago made a great point of how MCA's idea for "Awesome, I Fuckin' Shot That" was ahead of its time for a concept. They've been one of my favorite bands for 15 years, longer than anyone, I bought each release and studied them (even The Mix Up) and always respected how much of an outspoken and seemingly great guy he was, especially after 9/11. I'm heartbroken, pretty sure every guy born after 1980 is as well. R.I.P. MCA, we lost a legend.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The Beasties in younger days, goofing around in the forest like a bunch of over-sized kids.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Nathaniel Hornblower invades the 1994 MTV Movie awards to let us know that HE had all the ideas for Star Wars! Fucking Lucas!

Last edited by Magtig; 05-04-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    "The lyrics of this album were written a long time ago, it's actually a prequel to License to Ill, so many of the lyrics were written over 100 years ago." - Adam Yaunch on Hot Sauce Committee Part II

Additional information about Mike D's erotic book series is contained in this interview.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    RIP

Fuck cancer

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    like losing a major piece of childhood. RIP adam...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    sad day...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    They're an all right band. Not really a fan though.

RIP

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Love this track.
    RIP MCA. Gonna listen to Paul's Boutique and raise a glass.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Here's the statement by Beastie Boys management, along with a short overview of Yaunch's career.

And an interesting bit that I didn't know until now:

"Yauch also directed many of the Beastie Boys' music videos under the pseudonym Nathaniel Hornblower. In 2002, he launched the film production company Oscilloscope Laboratories. As a filmmaker, he directed the 2006 Beastie Boys concert film Awesome; I Fuckin' Shot That! and the 2008 basketball documentary Gunnin' for That #1 Spot, and his production company released the acclaimed Banksy movie, Exit Through the Gift Shop."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The hilarious Body Movin' video:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I am actually in tears. A rare event

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by owinn View Post
    I am actually in tears. A rare event
    I'd offer you a tissue but I seem to have used them all. A very sad day. He was a wonderful person.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    The hilarious Body Movin' video:

Love that they spoofed the movie, Diabolik.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm bummed now. I was just coming back from PetSmart and the clerk noticed the T-shirt I'm wearing which is the album cover for Check Your Head. He just noticed it and I was like "OK", I didn't hear about it. Fuck you Cancer!! You took away my grandmother last fall, you took away Ronnie James Dio, and now MCA Motherfuck you cancer!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Gawker's article about Nathaniel Hornblower's response to a bad review in the NYT (Borat before there was Borat, basically).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Haven't listened to these guys in ages. MCA was always my favourite Beastie.

Going to have to throw on The Sounds of Science in his honour...

Edit:

My name is MCA and I still do what I please.
    Last edited by xmd 5a; 05-04-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: forgot to post awesome song/video

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    In this interview for 'Awesome I Fuckin Shot That' the Beasties endlessly jerk around the interviewer. It's long, but it's totally hilarious.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I've been having a Beastie Boys discography day. Gone through Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, currently on Ill Communication.

Sad day. RIP

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I was also saddened to hear this news. I've been a fan ever since Paul's Boutique. I appreciated the way they grew lyrically and actually acknowledged getting older while keeping their sense of humor. I'm grateful to have been able to attend three of their shows. Definitely created great memories at those shows. R.I.P. MCA.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Too young man.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I really can't believe it. I remember the day they announced Adam had cancer in that video. This is definitely the most upset I've ever been over the death of a celebrity. Glad I got to see them at Bonnaroo in '09, didn't know that would be their last show though.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I really can't believe it. I remember the day they announced Adam had cancer in that video. This is definitely the most upset I've ever been over the death of a celebrity. Glad I got to see them at Bonnaroo in '09, didn't know that would be their last show though.
    I remember that too, it seemed like no big deal. How was their last show?

From what I can tell they were getting it done on stage right up until the very end. Here's one of their last performances (2007), and they're on fire.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Sort of timeless. 20 years in and they still looked like teens having fun.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The show was pitch perfect. The setlist was an awesome mix of all their different styles, not just a greatest hits. http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/beasti...-73d60259.html They even played one of their hardcore songs from before Licensed to Ill (Egg Raid on Mojo). Oh and Nas came out and played Too Many Rappers. Really wish I could see them again.

Edit: I just found this quote from '09 and got really upset:
    Fortunately, Yauch said that the cancer was detected early enough that it's expected to be fully treatable with surgery.
    Happier edit: RIP Cochese
    Last edited by imail724; 05-04-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Holy shit, they played Country Mike's Theme at their last show? hahaha! Never would have seen that coming, but then again unpredictability is a big part of what made them so great.

For the uninitiated, Mike D had an identity crisis and recorded an entire album of country tunes.
    Last edited by Magtig; 05-04-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    He truly was too legit to resign.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    "More sad news for the music industry, Katy Perry was found alive in a bar 5 minutes ago" - such is the text I received back from my girlfriend after saying how sad I was about MCA. She knows how to cheer me up.