Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84 85 86 LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 2580

Thread: General Police Misconduct aka Murdering Black People

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Today is the sentencing for Derek Chauvin. For those interested in watching it live, it will start at 2:30pm ET

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    "Derek Chauvin's motion for a new trial is denied hours before sentencing" - Sit back and relax, honey, lol

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...floyd-n1272332

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    What the hell does he mean when he said that there will be other information in the future??

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    What the hell does he mean when he said that there will be other information in the future??
    Appeal. He likely is presenting some bullshit evidence that Floyd died of “something else.”

Chauvin just sentenced to 22.5 years.

According to MN law, he must serve 3/4 that before being eligible for release for good behavior.

He’s also facing Federal charges.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Gotcha. The way he said it though was totally sadistic, and like gaslighting the situation. Something the Floyd family did not need to hear.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Appeal. He likely is presenting some bullshit evidence that Floyd died of “something else.”

Chauvin just sentenced to 22.5 years.

According to MN law, he must serve 3/4 that before being eligible for release for good behavior.

He’s also facing Federal charges.
    are those the ones regarding his car and everything being licensed in Florida? plus general tax fraud?

https://minnesotareformer.com/2020/0...ington-county/

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    are those the ones regarding his car and everything being licensed in Florida? plus general tax fraud?

https://minnesotareformer.com/2020/0...ington-county/
    Civil rights charges:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/derek-c...rt-appearance/

The indictment accuses Chauvin of willfully depriving Floyd of the Constitutional right to be protected from illegal search and seizure, which includes the right to be free from unreasonable force by a police officer. It says Chauvin did so by pinning Floyd to the ground with a knee on his neck as he was handcuffed and unresisting, resulting in Floyd's death.

A second federal indictment also charges Chauvin with deprivation of civil rights under color of law for a 2017 incident involving a 14-year-old boy, whom Chauvin allegedly struck in the head with a flashlight and pinned to the ground with a knee on his neck and back during an arrest. The other three officers were not involved in that case.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-26-2021 at 12:15 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    oh wow. for every wtf choice the new DOJ does there's a couple that I like.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Is this the first time any proper sentencing has been carried out for this sort of offence (even though I know the family think it’s not enough), I’m just thinking will this be a precedent set that the Police can’t do this and get away with it in future?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Is this the first time any proper sentencing has been carried out for this sort of offence (even though I know the family think it’s not enough), I’m just thinking will this be a precedent set that the Police can’t do this and get away with it in future?
    Seems to me the one thing that set this case apart from many is that his [former] department basically turned on him. I can't say why...maybe it was the video evidence, maybe they hated him internally, maybe it was his past acts, maybe a combination...but it's incredibly damning to have a uniformed officer (especially in a leadership role) testifying against you. If I recall correctly, multiple officers took the stand for the prosecution. Breaking the "thin blue line" as they call it...very rare.

As for a precedent...I doubt it.
    Last edited by cdm; 06-27-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I felt bad for Chauvin's mother after her statement, until it was pointed out that she said nothing about George Floyd or offered any sympathy to his family. It's like she thinks her son is the victim.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    As for a precedent...I doubt it.
    Going back to this for a sec...here is where the real change has to happen (even though the scope here seems pretty narrow):

Until something is done with Qualified Immunity no meaningful change will happen.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    His mother not saying anything to the Floyd family was a total slap in the face. I understand she was there to support her son, but even Derek (finally) gave his condolences (if he meant it or not.)
    @WorzelG I believe if it wasn't for the video, I don't think the sentencing would've been this high.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Derek Chauvin close to plea deal which will force him to talk about George Floyd’s murder, report claims

I don't think anyone wants to hear what he has to say about it because he's going to obfuscate and lie anyway.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    What, so he can say something like his daddy abused him as a child and now has mental problems and didn't realize what he was doing so he can plea for mental health issues? Get the fuck outta here, yo!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I felt bad for Chauvin's mother after her statement, until it was pointed out that she said nothing about George Floyd or offered any sympathy to his family. It's like she thinks her son is the victim.
    Yes, fuck that.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    What, so he can say something like his daddy abused him as a child and now has mental problems and didn't realize what he was doing so he can plea for mental health issues? Get the fuck outta here, yo!
    Isn't this what they all do?
    And then get into a closed mental health facility instead of hardcore prison? And then be out for good behaviour in like 5 years? And then do it all again a year later?
    Sounds very (German) government to me.

As for the mother, no idea what relationship she had with her son but it's probably nature to always defend your kid. Although these statements are checked by a team of lawyers and all strategic play anyways. So I'm a bit surprised, too.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    No, when you accept a plea, you waive your right to the 5th. But he’s likely settling a plea because nearly EVERYONE does (relatively few criminal or civil cases go to trial) and because there was a such a quick jury decision in the MN case. His lawyers know he’s toast in the Federal case, too. And a Federal trial could lead to Federal precedent. They don’t want that. Copping a plea bypasses that.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-03-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I don't know if people outside of the E.U. can view this but it has happened yet again and already has international attention (warning, this is a rather brutal video):

https://www.hln.be/video/productie/a...rdachte-240614

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    I don't know if people outside of the E.U. can view this but it has happened yet again and already has international attention (warning, this is a rather brutal video):

https://www.hln.be/video/productie/a...rdachte-240614
    Here is an article in english https://www.cpr.org/2021/07/27/2-aur...iolent-arrest/ . Ya know it's really crazy how this particular police department keeps committing violent, sometimes murderous, crimes against citizens. Has anyone looked into this?

Eh, forget it...I'm sure it's nothing.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Pamplin Media Group - Street racing closes NE Portland intersection for three hours

"It can be very frustrating and overwhelming. It evolves very quickly," said Portland police Sgt. John Holbrook. "When you pull up on a scene and there are several hundred people and you are the only ones there? That can be a scary situation."
    Oh wow I hope you didn't pull a hypocrisy muscle saying that.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Amber Guyger’s conviction in murder of Botham Jean will stand, appeals court in Dallas rules
    yay!
    Guyger can now appeal to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, which is the state’s highest criminal court and is much more conservative than Dallas’ Fifth District Court of Appeals.
    boo!

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Yes, fuck that.
    I still feel bad for his mother, just like I feel bad for Jeffrey Dahmer’s parents. It has to be the worst thing on earth to find yourself famous because your child turned out to be a monster

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I still feel bad for his mother, just like I feel bad for Jeffrey Dahmer’s parents. It has to be the worst thing on earth to find yourself famous because your child turned out to be a monster
    I don’t feel bad for Chauvin’s mother, at all.

In her court statement, she focused almost entirely on herself; on the impact a sentence would have on her; on how she wouldn’t see her son, and how it would make her suffer. She was trying to circumvent justice by using pathos, except why should anyone else feel empathy for her, when she went on to point out her son’s exemplary police record, his awards, and how he’s a good police officer and a hero? She obviously still believes he’s innocent. She looked at that video and didn’t see a sadistic son torturing a man; she saw her heroic son making a useless n*gger get what he deserves.

I don’t feel one iota of pity for that woman. She’s likely why her son ended up the way he is.

When my (late) brother committed criminal acts, it hurt my mother to the core. But she didn’t protect him by deluding herself as to his false innocence; and she didn’t blame herself, as she knew that he was influenced by outside sources and things beyond her control (and my brother told her to stop blaming herself). And she was empathetic and apologetic to anyone who might have been affected by my brother’s actions.

Chauvin’s mother’s ego does not allow her to experience any of this.

The only time Chauvin showed any emotion was when his mother testified about how she’d suffer. It was a telling moment.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-07-2021 at 11:28 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    She’ll lose. There has to be an error, not “I don’t like the verdict.”

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

gee. I wonder if the police budget was affected by this in any way.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

1k facepalms

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    1k facepalms
    "tell me you don't have a fraud department without telling me don't have a fraud department"

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)