Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: King Crimson

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    what's the 1000 Club?
    It's essentially their fan club. $100/year gets you various perks when they go on tour, and also gives you credit for $500 worth of downloads from the DGM Live download store (a truly massive archive of shows from all eras). It's called the 1000 Club because they only accept 1000 people in.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm toying with the idea of joining up, too, because there's at least a remote chance that I'd actually be able to make it to a Friends & Family warm-up show this year, before the summer North American tour. Maybe Bill Rieflin will be back in the lineup as well?

Still waiting for the 1969 box set, before I get any more downloads. Enjoying working my way through Sid Smith's updated band biography as well!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    So, I know the quality overall is poor, but which vinyl version of Earthbound would you guys recommend? Younger Than Yesterday (local RSD shop) has 4 versions currently that range from $20 to $40.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    So, I know the quality overall is poor, but which vinyl version of Earthbound would you guys recommend? Younger Than Yesterday (local RSD shop) has 4 versions currently that range from $20 to $40.
    Hahaha... PEORIA, REPRESENT!! I wouldn't pay more than $30 for any copy... I mean, you already know it's never going to sound great. The original UK is listed in mint condition on Discogs for about that much. So, anything later than that or in worse shape means you should pay less.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Posting again to lament about the way KC50s were handled with digital stores. Being Canadian, for some reason this means if I want the KC50s in 24bit (except #12, which isn't), I have to buy most of them from 7digital, a handful from HDtracks, and then just not buy the last few because they seem exclusive to Qobuz (still not available in Canada yet). And that's on top of the various tagging mistakes and so on. What a headache.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ I don't know why you wouldn't just buy them directly from DGMLive? I always re-tag these things for my digital library, but keep a backup of the original ZIP file, just in case the site ever goes down or the FLAC on my hard disk gets corrupted/lost. They let you download it several times, too, which a lot of digital retailers won't do.

On that note, they found another unreleased late-1972 (Larks' Tongues five-man lineup!) recording from Preston, 30th November... I caved and bought it even though I said I'd hold off on buying more downloads, haha. It's an exceptionally good performance, but as noted in the description, its sonic quality is pretty much what you'd expect for an audience recording of that vintage (ie. not great). Nevertheless, I find the pre-release Larks' songs are always great to hear, and I'm loving the first improv piece with two violins, guitar and percussion!
    Last edited by botley; 01-13-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Double-posting right now because I got to meet Tony Levin last night, at a tiny club where the Levin Brothers were playing. They ended the main set with a jazzy instrumental version of "Sleepless" — Tony looped the main bass riff and solo'd over top, and everyone went nuts! He signed their first CD afterwards for me, and was really nice when I fanboy'ed about how I have that bassline as my ringtone, haha.

They're playing a few dates around the Midwest this week, before swinging back through upstate NY at the end of the month. Go see them!
    Last edited by botley; 01-13-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Hahaha... PEORIA, REPRESENT!!
    I was going through old DGM live posts and noticed this article:

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/itll-play-in-peoria

...Peoria gets it's name from a Native American word meaning "place of fat beasts"....
    FLOL. "Peewaareewa" means "comes carrying a pack on his back" or "comes bearing goods on his back".

The venue pictured is The Barn II in Goodfield, IL. The Barn was on 9205 N. Galena Rd. and is literally a subdivision of houses now. I've thought about getting a picture holding up Earthbound and sending it DGM Live, but I'd be standing in a cul-de-sac in front of someone's house.

The more you know.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, The Barn is now part of the Heart of Illinois Arena. We had a period where Galena Rd. was split up into Old Galena Rd, Galena Rd., IL-RT29, State St., and parts of Mossville Rd., which is what caused the confusion.
    Last edited by Jon; 01-15-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    https://www.dgmlive.com/news/king-cr...the-zappa-band

Summer 2020 North American tour called "We Paint Electric Rhythm Colour" with the Zappa Band. Tickets on sale Saturday.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm reading the book now. Just towards the end of the biography section, at the A Scarcity of Miracles (recently started streaming btw) period. I've read a lot of really good to great rock books lately, and this is certainly one of them. Sid Smith delves into the personal story and the music with the kind of precision and tact you'd expect from any KC-endorsed release. Fripp is the constant, but even with his participation and divulging of information and history, he is still kind of an enigmatic presence not unlike the one he is onstage.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 05-07-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    David Singleton said in a recent update, this tour was almost going to be with them opening up for Tool like they did in 2001.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Took advantage of Friday's Bandcamp blitz to grab more Stick Men live shows from their page. Hot damn, "Sartori in Tangier" with David Cross ripping that electric violin is the fuckin' shit!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    been doing some "quarantine jams" and we listened through the whole 80s trilogy on vinyl the other day. spun thrak yesterday and man does it sound good on vinyl. hopefully TCOL & TPTB today!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Let's say the album art for The Power to Believe is... speaking to my personal situation pretty strongly right now.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Bill Rieflin died today, according to Robert's Facebook page. I'm very sad about this news. Matt Chamberlain on Twitter said it right, fuck cancer.
    Last edited by botley; 03-24-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That’s sad to hear about Bill. Obviously his work with Crimson, Ministry, Pigface and Swans was great. Yet I always really enjoyed his solo album Birth of a Giant and the album he did with Fripp. Also his drum beat in La Mer makes that song.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Bill Rieflin died today, according to Robert's Facebook page. I'm very sad about this news. Matt Chamberlain on Twitter said it right, fuck cancer.
    NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO god damnit

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Fucking hell, 2020 blows.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO god damnit
    He really was a Giant. Huge loss to the community of musicians and artists whose lives he touched.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    This was very hard to read (CW: medical treatment, death)... but now we know. So fucking sad. At least Bill's ordeal is finally over.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    This was very hard to read (CW: medical treatment, death)... but now we know. So fucking sad. At least Bill's ordeal is finally over.
    jesus, that poor man. no one deserves that much suffering, much less someone who has helped bring so much beauty into the world. :'(

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    2021 is the new 2020!

In happier news, the 2008 tour is now available to download in its entirety. This wasn't my favourite lineup of the band (although those "best of" NYC performances included with the Heaven & Earth box are pretty great), but it's satisfying that we can at least now hear exactly why it's not the best lineup, if you know what I mean.

https://www.dgmlive.com/tours?year=2008&liveshow=on
    Last edited by botley; 04-12-2020 at 02:26 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wonder if they are postponing the 69 box set until the time the big sets usually come out (October/November-ish)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm still reeling from Bill's death... been watching this version of "Sailor's Tale" from Radical Action over and over in his memory.

Pour one out for John Wetton, too:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Imagine seeing Danny Carey and Gavin Harrison at the same show? lol...

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/king-crimson-tool-tour/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Jakko putting out new solo album Secrets and Lies later this year.

Meanwhile RF launched a new YouTube channel, and today launched "Music For Quiet Moments".

"Quiet moments are when we put time aside to be quiet. Sometimes quiet moments find us. Quiet may be experienced with sound, and also through sound; in a place we hold to be sacred, or maybe on a crowded subway train hurtling towards Piccadilly or Times Square.

Quiet Moments of my musical life, expressed in Soundscapes, are deeply personal; yet utterly impersonal: they address the concerns we share within our common humanity." - Robert Fripp

Last edited by onthewall2983; 05-01-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The Humans' complete works box set, entitled Noise in Your Head and dedicated to Bill Rieflin, will arrive in July. It includes a previously unreleased cover version of "Schizoid Man" and the entire 2010 La Scala performance with Robert Fripp on guitar (also coming on purple vinyl!)...

Here's a video for the new cover, with various shots of Toyah, Bill, and Chris in action:

Last edited by botley; 05-03-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finally listened to the new 5.1 of "in the court..." a few days ago and it really is a marked improvement over the first version steven wilson did a decade ago. it never fails to amaze me that after over 50 years, that album still sounds fresh and innovative.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)