Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
I see it as a sort of noble failure. Interesting premise, but it really didn't work or make a lot of sense. Still, the campfire scenes were great, and the cast still shines. I would take it over those J.J. movies.
"MARSHMELONS!!!"

\o/

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
What...you guys didn't like the "YEAH BOI FUCKIN' BEASTIE BOYS RAWK IN YO' FACE BITCH" marketing approach to STAR TREK that they first went with?
I actually thought the first trailer was fine...and same goes for the J.J. Star Trek movies in general.

Don't forget, these movies (and, by extension, their trailers) are meant to help rescue the franchise from its chronic problem with low numbers, stagnant audience growth, and the threat of cancellation which has loomed over it since its earliest days. Getting J.J. Abrams and Justin Lin to punch it up and make it more "in your face" is a big part of that, and throwing in some badassery from the Beastie Boys can only help.

Plus, it also works on MULTIPLE levels!

Not only does does it help illustrate and highlight the more balls-out approach for a newer, younger audience, but it ALSO helps reinforce the connection between Lin's film and J.J.'s earlier installments by referencing the same song used in the '09 film to showcase Kirk's rebelliousness AND it hilariously plays off Shatner's own absurd history with the word "sabotage," lol. Which of course helps reassure know-it-all die-hards that these moviemakers know their Trek-history and trivia.

Furthermore, it works plot-wise, insofar as its a callback to Kirk's relationship with his father and his growing pains as a captain, which this movie obviously continues to dwell upon. Likewise, rumors persist of a Shatner cameo and any use of the word "sabotage" can only hint towards that all the more.

Lastly, we're talking about Star Trek here...it only has so many opportunities for the justifiable inclusion of modern day, contemporary pop-culture references. At least they chose one that's as appropriate and hilarious as it is badass and awesome.

Again, the first trailer was fine. It was just aimed more towards the casual moviegoer than the second trailer. And that's okay, too. We should all know how to share our toys by now, after all.

:)