Thread: Chevelle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    Niceee, you got the vinyl. I passed on it, but ordered pretty early and mine still didn't come . The album however is fucking tits. Punchline and Last Days are fantastic. Plus, it's odd seeing a Chevelle track over 8 minutes.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Niceee, you got the vinyl. I passed on it, but ordered pretty early and mine still didn't come . The album however is fucking tits. Punchline and Last Days are fantastic. Plus, it's odd seeing a Chevelle track over 8 minutes.
    I got the vinyl and CD for Gore, too. I think it was more worth it in this case, though, because I get a bonus track with the CD, a different cover (which I prefer over the standard) on the vinyl, and then autographs on both (I've never been much for those, but it's still pretty cool they signed everything). I've only listened once so far, but I remember really enjoying "Punchline," too. At times, the music reminded me of something that could have been on The Fragile. One thing I'm disappointed in is the mastering. Much like Gore, the whole album clips so much. I wish this loudness war bullshit would just end.

I was one of the early ones, too, but I ordered with 2-day shipping. That's probably why I got it a day early.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I didn't find the mastering to be all that bad, even though there are so many guitar layers that are drowned out by it unless using headphones. I get really frustrated with listening to Gore because I found the mastering to be awful to where it is unlistenable at times. This brings me back to Thursday albums where the instruments were so drowned out, the terrific guitars were so hard to hear. This album crunches.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Well, I noticed it the most on the intro of "Door to Door Cannibals." Maybe I'm just confusing it with the distortion on the guitar, but my Mackie MR8s shouldn't make it sound that harsh. It got better as the album went on, but then it also started to sound a bit too "flat." Sonically, it reminds me of the darker and heavy parts of Wonder What's Next and Vena Cera mixed with the raw rock sound of Hats off to the Bull. Maybe I'm being too critical for having only listened once, and it'll get better with more listens.

Update: Listening again now. It's definitely not as bad as Gore, but I think this could have sounded even better with a larger dynamic range.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 07-07-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Two listens in, once on vinyl last night and once during work today. I don't want to be a bummer but so far it has not connected with me. This is definitely an "experimental" album of sorts and maybe that's why it hasn't clicked yet. Enemies is a stand out so far.....gonna give this one a few more spins and see what happens.

(Found my name on the shirt!)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I feel it definitely gets better with additional listens. Although, I think these may be the weirdest lyrics Pete's ever written. I was typing them into iTunes before putting the album on my iPod, and read a few lines and thought, "What the hell?" I feel like he took a cue from Gavin Rossdale on this album and did a lot of freeflow lyric writing. Fitting considering they will be going on tour together.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I always loved Pete's lyrics since they always came through as cryptic and very metaphoric. Who knew Hunter Eats Hunter was about one of them taking the garbage out, and being worried about a demon eating them? Pete doesn't like to talk about what his songs are about and I like that because it leaves the listener with even more interpretation.

The album is definitely a grower. I listened to the entire album on my way to work and it felt like it was just Chevelle going through the motions, but dam... it didn't take long until I was headbanging to every song. The album slows down perfect with Punchline which is a standout track for me, and the bridge in Last Days just shreds. Listen to that part with headphones, there is so much going on instrumentally it is almost overwhelming.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I keep getting "Door to Door Cannibals" stuck in my head. I'll be listening to the album for the first time in my car today. So far, I've listened on my computer through my Mackie MR8s and my iPod in Apple Lossless format with some stock Samsung headphones that came with my phone. Tomorrow, I will likely be listening to the vinyl on a pair of speakers my dad is going to give me now that I have a stereo receiver (I was previously plugging into an Mbox 2 Pro and playing it through a DAW).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Okay, the album underwhelmed me on first listen, but I'm happy to say it's completely grown on me and I'd say it's my favorite Chevelle album now.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Same exact thing happened to me as well. How did the vinyl sound? This is definitely my favorite album from them next to Sci-fi Crimes and This Type Of Thinking. TTOT brings me back to this specific time in my life when I was about 14, so the nostalgia takes over for it. Man, it really is hard to try and rank a Chevelle album but I'll try.

This Type Of Thinking
    The North Corridor
    Sci-fi Crimes
    La Gargola
    Vena Sera
    Point #1
    Wonder What's Next
    Hats Off To The Bull

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I haven't listened to the vinyl just yet. I plan on doing that later today, though, so I'll let you know.

The North Corridor
    Vena Sera
    Sci-Fi Crimes
    Wonder What's Next
    Hats Off to the Bull
    This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In)
    La Gárgola
    Point #1

That is hard!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I always heard of La Gargola being a good and similar follow-up but I never listened.
    La Gárgola isn't a terrible album, but I found that it was trying too hard to capture the Wonder What's Next sound and take it further. It's definitely heavier and a little bit darker than everything in between those two albums (WWN and LG), but I feel that The North Corridor does a much better job of balancing a dark and heavy sound without sounding forced. Given that the band went into the studio wanting to create something that they could enjoy playing live, I think it came out sounding much more natural. As for something similar to Sci-Fi Crimes, what, specifically, are you after sonically?

How did the vinyl sound?

It definitely doesn't clip as much as the CD does, but it does still have some moments where it does. Overall, though, I found it to be a lot more pleasant to my ears.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Never ventured into this band outside of The Red (generic choice right?) and Sci-fi Crimes (thanks solely to Jars amazing radio playtime). I loved that album and have since release. maybe I should venture more into their catalog? Where to go? Is Sci-fi Crimes by itself in style or is there more like it? I always heard of La Gargola being a good and similar follow-up but I never listened.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 07-10-2016 at 09:04 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Never ventured into this band outside of The Red (generic choice right?) and Sci-fi Crimes (thanks solely to Jars amazing radio playtime). I loved that album and have since releas.e maybe I should venture more into their catalog? Where to go? Is Sci-fi Crimes by itself in style or is there more like it? I always heard of La Gargola being a good and similar follow-up but I never listened.
    I would say SFC is in a spot of itself, but LA Gargola and The North Corridor I found very similar in style and even Wonder What's Next. If I were you, I would just go in order from Point #1 and follow in order. You can get more of an idea of how their sound progressed throughout every album. This type of thinking could do us in is their most melodic, but SFC seems to be a mixture of everything they have done and more. It's really tough to point out a specific album to check out first since they are all solid fucking albums. Point #1 I would say is the most jarring since the production is very low and it has a more grungy, raw approach.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I would say SFC is in a spot of itself, but LA Gargola and The North Corridor I found very similar in style and even Wonder What's Next. If I were you, I would just go in order from Point #1 and follow in order. You can get more of an idea of how their sound progressed throughout every album. This type of thinking could do us in is their most melodic, but SFC seems to be a mixture of everything they have done and more. It's really tough to point out a specific album to check out first since they are all solid fucking albums. Point #1 I would say is the most jarring since the production is very low and it has a more grungy, raw approach.
    I figured as such but I'll venture through and see what every album has to offer me. I Think I should enjoy there majority of their material but I just never really dove into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

La Gárgola isn't a terrible album, but I found that it was trying too hard to capture the Wonder What's Next sound and take it further. It's definitely heavier and a little bit darker than everything in between those two albums (WWN and LG), but I feel that The North Corridor does a much better job of balancing a dark and heavy sound without sounding forced. Given that the band went into the studio wanting to create something that they could enjoy playing live, I think it came out sounding much more natural. As for something similar to Sci-Fi Crimes, what, specifically, are you after sonically?
    Hard for me to say and describe...I guess the themes and tone of the album couples with the unique sound on the album is what drove me towards it initially as well as now. Something with me just clicks, it has this sarcastic but genuine meaning to the songs and lyrics. I can't pinpoint it and those adjectives probably don't even make sense to use...haha. Halp?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Hard for me to say and describe...I guess the themes and tone of the album couples with the unique sound on the album is what drove me towards it initially as well as now. Something with me just clicks, it has this sarcastic but genuine meaning to the songs and lyrics. I can't pinpoint it and those adjectives probably don't even make sense to use...haha. Halp?
    My immediate thought is Vena Sera. I think it set the tone for every album that followed, which was probably helped by it being the first album without Joe/first album with Dean.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    My immediate thought is Vena Sera. I think it set the tone for every album that followed, which was probably helped by it being the first album without Joe/first album with Dean.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Vena Sera is so polished, but dam... If you're looking for a sonic album, that is where to start. The Fad and Humanoid are stellar tracks. It's funny with Chevelle. As soon as I rank the albums, I go back to Hats Off To The Bull and realize how much I love that album and the melodic songs on there. Revenge and Envy are freaking beautiful, but dam... Revenge is a tear jerker.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Vena Sera is so polished, but dam... If you're looking for a sonic album, that is where to start. The Fad and Humanoid are stellar tracks. It's funny with Chevelle. As soon as I rank the albums, I go back to Hats Off To The Bull and realize how much I love that album and the melodic songs on there. Revenge and Envy are freaking beautiful, but dam... Revenge is a tear jerker.
    You know, I don't think I give Hats Off to the Bull enough credit. I was thinking about that one after I suggested Vena Sera and it might be a good album to go to after Sci-Fi Crimes.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    You know, I don't think I give Hats Off to the Bull enough credit. I was thinking about that one after I suggested Vena Sera and it might be a good album to go to after Sci-Fi Crimes.
    If you wanna talk experimental, HOTTB is probably their most next to SCF.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Alright alright.....after letting this one marinate and after accepting this album for what it is, I really enjoy it. It's heavy, it's loud, it's intense....its another evolution of this band. They are not afraid to take chances and it really does pay off. Highlights include Door to Door Cannibals, Rivers, Warhols Showbiz and Got burned and I still find Joyride to be very enjoyable. Hoping to catch these guys live this for this album cycle, though I may need to think about bringing earplugs.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
    Alright alright.....after letting this one marinate and after accepting this album for what it is, I really enjoy it. It's heavy, it's loud, it's intense....its another evolution of this band. They are not afraid to take chances and it really does pay off. Highlights include Door to Door Cannibals, Rivers, Warhols Showbiz and Got burned and I still find Joyride to be very enjoyable. Hoping to catch these guys live this for this album cycle, though I may need to think about bringing earplugs.
    I'm seeing them on the 2nd. Will be my sixth time and they bring their A game every time. They are going on tour with Disturbed and would love to see that as well. Have you heard "A Miracle"?? It doesn't really fit with the album, but dam... they always have the best bonus tracks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm seeing them on the 2nd. Will be my sixth time and they bring their A game every time. They are going on tour with Disturbed and would love to see that as well. Have you heard "A Miracle"?? It doesn't really fit with the album, but dam... they always have the best bonus tracks.
    Yes, A Miracle is great too. I was listening to an interview with Sam and he mentioned that A Miracle is a leftover from the La Gargola sessions....guess that explains why it doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of The North Corridor.

Let us know how these new songs translate live.....and I agree, seeing them with Disturbed and Nothing More would be a blast.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I would much prefer to see them how I am: with Bush in a few weeks. Disturbed is one of the worst and least talented bands I've ever seen. And Draiman's stage banter is more painful than Hetfield's.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I would much prefer to see them how I am: with Bush in a few weeks. Disturbed is one of the worst and least talented bands I've ever seen. And Draiman's stage banter is more painful than Hetfield's.
    If I do attend the Disturbed tour, it is mostly to see Chevelle of course, with the exception of some nostalgia from Disturbed... but that is about it. I saw them at Mayhem Fest back in like 03' and he was pretty painful to listen to with his gigantic ego, but Dragonforce took the cake as one of the worst bands I have seen live. I saw them with Bush on the last tour they were on with them. Almost made the trip to go to New Jersey to see them, but they decided to come right on Long Island .

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I dug the additional 2 albums I downloaded. I'd be interested to exploring more and I probably will be. I nearly bought the new album at the store on a whim along with La Gargola since they were both at a nice price but I didn't. Maybe I should?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I dug the additional 2 albums I downloaded. I'd be interested to exploring more and I probably will be. I nearly bought the new album at the store on a whim along with La Gargola since they were both at a nice price but I didn't. Maybe I should?
    You deff should. The North Corridor is actually on sale on their offish website for only 8 bucks. Also cool to see them in the top ten on the billboard 200. Debuted at #8. I remember La Gargola Debuted at #3.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    After two weeks The North Corridor is finally growing on me. The first half of the album is solid, but with the exception of Punchline and Shot Through a Cannon the latter half of the album isn't doing it for me. As someone who was a huge fan of Hats Off to the Bull and considers La Gargola some of their best work, I'm a little letdown. There are elements from both of those albums here, but everything feels stripped down, and to me the lyrics are weaker than their past albums. I'm coming around to The North Corridor, but I think it's one of their weaker releases.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    this album is GREAT. finally listening in full today. Some really heavy songs for them. Pumped to see them open for Bush...hope they get an hour (unlikely).