Page 16 of 102 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails - 2014 Tour Discussion/Speculation

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    It is indeed an open air location that got fairly popular over the years.

http://www.zitadelle-spandau.de/Engl...h_version.html

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Well, it'll be sold out in a few minutes, I think.
    (Till now) the only german gig. Looks a little bit strange for a venue with a capacity of 3000.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    The capacity is variable from what I did read a few years back. Up to 10.000 people fit there appearently but info is very sparse on this. Since it appears to be standing all the way through I guess the chance of scoring a ticket is not too slim.

I already booked a meeting room at our office for myself to fully engage in the presale. :P

Oh yeah, London tickets are safe! Hope to meet some of you there! I'm still planning on staying in Cambridge at a friends place or if I should stay in London until Sunday evening.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    The capacity is variable from what I did read a few years back. Up to 10.000 people fit there appearently but info is very sparse on this. Since it appears to be standing all the way through I guess the chance of scoring a ticket is not too slim.
    The citadel is indeed a beautiful venue, I've seen QotSA there numerous times, sold out as usual, capacity about 10.000 max should be about right.I have my doubts that'll be the case with NIN though.Sound is rather decent for an outdoor venue, unfortunately by far not loud enough compared to other venues.Queens had 'full production' there, so in terms of light show etc. we might get a wee bit more than just some flashing LEDs - possibly not much more though since TR just stated some financial issues with the massive production.I don't mind, especially having seen a 'big show' once in my life in Milan this year. (Btw hello to everyone from a long time lurker!)

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarazenvonWolfenstein View Post
    .......we might get a wee bit more than just some flashing LEDs - possibly not much more though since TR just stated some financial issues with the massive production....
    Where did you get that information from?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    Where did you get that information from?
    This Buzzfeed article, perhaps:

A production on the scale of Lights in the Sky or Tension requires a huge investment, and Reznor pays for much of it out of his own pocket. “Economically, it’s pretty stupid, and I’m being reminded of that right now,” he said. “The bills are showing up while I’m trying to pull this shit off.” As a result, the band is planning on a completely different and more streamlined production on upcoming legs around the world. “I can lose money, but I can’t lose that much money."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    Exactly.I think it's quite obvious that he can't continue investing in an economically 'stupid' project.I wonder if that also means personell reduction.No background singers = certainly no gems like ATLITW being played.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I wonder if losing money will force them to do a scaled back second N.A leg of Tension? Or, if the money is already sunk in the lights etc.. then maybe another full blown Tension in late '14?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This makes sense. After watching two Tension shows, it is clearly obvious that a lot of hard work, sweat and money has gone in to this production. I don't know much about touring production costs, but besides the screens, those lights that go up and down and change in to shapes cannot be cheap! The show is like a 2 hour intense movie, you cannot leave your place, because you will miss on something.

I think the future shows will be like NINJA following LITS... minimalist production and varied set lists!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^after losing out on the festival thing at Reading, I'll be well cheesed off if the lights are like the Wave Goodbye shows in 2009. It doesn't have to be Tension but not completely minimalist either

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    He said he wants the European Tour to be electronic based so I expect cool lights. Maybe like the festival dates?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarazenvonWolfenstein View Post
    I wonder if that also means personell reduction.No background singers = certainly no gems like ATLITW being played.
    I'd certainly hope that he'll be able to keep on the extra folks, at least. I imagine that the lighting+rigs+etc are probably far more expensive than keeping a few extra musicians on, if you factor in all the transportation, truck rentals, setup manpower, etc. I'd be curious to know how many extra stagehands each component of Tension ended up adding to their tour roster.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    gonna throw this out there as a wild guess. what about rob as a performing (on-stage) video/light artist? could work with the more electronic feel and could also keep the visuals interesting without much cost. in any case, cheap visuals aren't necessarily unimpressive.

otherwise, something NINJA-like (but without the JA) seems likely from what's said in the interview. maybe using the kraftwerk-type setup from the festivals again. although, who knows. maybe trent isn't even sure at this point, and the recent interviews are just what he happens to be thinking about right now.

in any case, i'm definitely jealous of those that are seeing shows on multiple legs.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    gonna throw this out there as a wild guess. what about rob as a performing (on-stage) video/light artist? could work with the more electronic feel and could also keep the visuals interesting without much cost. in any case, cheap visuals aren't necessarily unimpressive.

otherwise, something NINJA-like (but without the JA) seems likely from what's said in the interview. maybe using the kraftwerk-type setup from the festivals again. although, who knows. maybe trent isn't even sure at this point, and the recent interviews are just what he happens to be thinking about right now.

in any case, i'm definitely jealous of those that are seeing shows on multiple legs.
    I'd be very happy with a show like the festival dates. However I've decided it's pointless to speculate as anything can change up to 5 days before the tour apparently!

With his musings on electronic based shows, I wonder if that's because of the Australia shows with QOTSA. I think an electronic based NIN would complement a rock based QOTSA show nicely without boring the crowds with 2 headliners in the same rock band format. (not that I would be bored but you know what I mean, casual fans of either band). I get the impression things will be changed up again for Europe

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    ...and I'm getting pissed more and more!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I wonder what this means for the future of NIN. Rob said in that Buzzfeed article that LITS didn't get the attention it deserved. Along with constantly touring after WT, I bet that was part of the reason for the hiatus of NIN. Then they came back for Tension, another visually impressive show, but it sounds like lots of the shows didn't sell very well this tour. I wonder if this the end of the LITS/Tension style light set up? Maybe we will see more shows like the Festival ones in the future. Trent and co. can't keep losing money every tour.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    When did any tour get the attention it deserved?With the release of the new record it seems TR makes an attempt to be sort of more...dare I say it, mainstream (not musically though,fortunately), just to reach a wider audience.Ticket prices for the US leg of the tour were counterproductive imho, the more casual the fan, the less willing to pay a higher price, did they really expect to attract the masses?I don't think the general public knows how mindblowing a NIN show is, they might know some standard radio tunes and judge by that if it's 'worth attending' or not.

But as was mentioned before, speculations about upcoming shows are pointless.I'm just hoping for varied setlists,too.Fingers crossed for a ton of Fragile material!Oh, and a lot of rare and weird synths for Ally to play with.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The only Songs from the Tension tour I've checked out In full on YouTube are While I'm Still Here / Black Noise and black noise sounds jaw-dropping, that's nothing to do with the visuals so I hope they continue playing that in the new shows

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I feel like the shows at The Joint in Vegas, particularly the second night:
    ... spoilers I guess...

...could almost be a dry run for next year; it's same 8-piece lineup, but with no big moving screens or other heavy production & static setlist. If they really needed to cut back on band salaries, they could probably get Gail-Ann Dorsey. She plays groovy bass like Pino does, but can also wail like Lisa.
    Last edited by botley; 11-24-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Good call on Gail Ann Dorsey - she would be amazing.....but she wouldn't come cheap, either.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    personally, I could care less about big huge light shows. No idea where TR got this idea that he needs a monster stage production to pull off a good show. Just go out and play. Also this idea that he seems convinced NIN are a huge arena band seems bizarre as well. Its not 1995 anymore? They have problems selling out arenas for the most part, they should be playing smaller places...Phil Anselmo always talks about how his bands don't need lights or fire or any bullshit, they just come out and fucking play and the rest takes care of itself.... I would like to see TR drop the backup singers, drop this 20 piece band, drop the light show, do a stripped down tour playing a different setlist every night in smaller venues and it will come off a lot more naturally and he will probably have a lot more fun...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    He probably got that crazy idea based off of the fact that a lot of people enjoy it. Crazy I know.

And the ticket sales haven't been the problem. It's the expenses. From what I understand the show I attended was one of the lesser attended shows and it was still decent. Not sold out 1995 style but on par with many other arena shows I've been to.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    personally, I could care less about big huge light shows. No idea where TR got this idea that he needs a monster stage production to pull off a good show. Just go out and play. Also this idea that he seems convinced NIN are a huge arena band seems bizarre as well. Its not 1995 anymore? They have problems selling out arenas for the most part, they should be playing smaller places...Phil Anselmo always talks about how his bands don't need lights or fire or any bullshit, they just come out and fucking play and the rest takes care of itself.... I would like to see TR drop the backup singers, drop this 20 piece band, drop the light show, do a stripped down tour playing a different setlist every night in smaller venues and it will come off a lot more naturally and he will probably have a lot more fun...
    But then he'd get slagged off for not playing big enough venues when people can't get tickets. Take London as an example, in 2007 they started with one or two nights at Brixton Academy, but then ended up playing 5 nights which all sold out. They play the 02 everybody can go even if it doesn't completely sell out, and he gets to only sing one night and not completely fuck up his voice for the rest of the tour

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The problem with doing venues that are smaller than arenas is that there is usually little or nothing in between a 15,000-20,000 capacity place and a 1,000-3,000 capacity place. The latter is too small to be suitable for a one-night appearance - which means to satisfy ticket demand and make enough to at least break even, in many locations they'd have to do multiple shows over several nights, which makes the overall tour longer. That is tiring and hard on the voice.

I loved seeing them in every club show I've seen them in but it's not physically or economically feasible to do that as the only type of venue on a year-long multi-country tour.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Which means either way Bill has something to complain about. It's a win-win situation.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Truth be told, I don't get much benefit out of the light show because I am up front and it's not really possible to see it up there. But, many many people - including those in the Non-Batshit Regular People Group (i.e., not people who participate in this board) - love it. It's a draw to "normal" fans. And it is an art piece in its entirety, which is something clearly important to Trent. He's always wanted a spectacle of some kind, whether that was smashing shit up and dressing like a goth voodoo doll or designing a stage that nobody else in music has even thought of doing, let alone actually put in place. I'm glad he does things like light shows at arenas and then the next leg just has some guys on a little stage. It's more interesting to wonder what the next time will be like.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    My point was because of all the huge light shows and production and 20 people on stage and huge venues, it seems it's more stressful than fun for TR, and is costing more money...If he just said fuck it, I'm going to do a smaller scale tour, play whatever the fuck I want-mistakes and all, he would probably find himself enjoying it a lot more, without carrying the burden of having to pull off some monster production where everything has to be executed precisely

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I think you're reading a lot more into it than what was said. All he said was it was expensive. I actually got the vibe that he was enjoying it and glad he did it and is moving on to something else before it becomes less fun. Either way its just speculation.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I feel like the shows at The Joint in Vegas, particularly the second night:
    ... spoilers I guess...

...could almost be a dry run for next year; it's same 8-piece lineup, but with no big moving screens or other heavy production & static setlist. If they really needed to cut back on band salaries, they could probably get Gail-Ann Dorsey. She plays groovy bass like Pino does, but can also wail like Lisa.
    She has also been in Bowie's band. Maybe Trent could call Bowie up and get her out to a show

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    My point was because of all the huge light shows and production and 20 people on stage and huge venues, it seems it's more stressful than fun for TR, and is costing more money...
    If this was his first big production, I could (maybe) see him getting stressed out. But by now he knows what he's getting into … he wouldn't bother doing it if he didn't enjoy it.

Not to say he never miscalculates, like playing in daylight in '09. But the "Economically, it’s pretty stupid" comment sounded like happy complaining to me.