Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    the WHAT tour?!?!?!?!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I guess this means they'll add more Meddle songs to the set, including Echoes? They've been playing One of These Days already. It still fits their original agenda (to play only pre-Dark Side music)
    Last edited by fillow; 04-02-2020 at 04:43 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This has piqued my interest and I may attempt to get Manchester tickets. Heard Nick on BBC6 a few weeks ago and they played a couple of cuts and it sounded immense - well played to him for pulling something this cool off.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    And getting the right people to do it. I like the singer's voice, and he's a good guitarist too. Waters and Gilmour have usually tended to get really good players who get inside the music well enough to make you think you are listening to something special, as opposed to a cover band with one original member leading it. It shouldn't be any surprise then that the guy who kept the beat for the entirety of the band's history would have as good an ear for musicians who can engage with the material in their own way, while keeping the original spirit intact.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-29-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Listening to Pulse right now and am really enjoying it. RS gave it 1.5/5 stars? AMG gave it 2/5, not really agreeing with those low scores.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Pink Floyd in 1994 were as dependent on the stage show and the visual elements, and those don't obviously come through on record. It's a really solid production, but it lacks the spontaneity great live albums should have. Honestly Gilmour's Live in Gdańsk is way better in this regard as it's both solid and the band seem a little looser. When he went back on the road under his own name, he was able to pare down the show and focus entirely on the music. He had a bit of the best of both worlds in 2015-6 because he brought back Mr. Screen and had a decent laser show too.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Pink Floyd in 1994 were as dependent on the stage show and the visual elements, and those don't obviously come through on record. It's a really solid production, but it lacks the spontaneity great live albums should have. Honestly Gilmour's Live in Gdańsk is way better in this regard as it's both solid and the band seem a little looser. When he went back on the road under his own name, he was able to pare down the show and focus entirely on the music. He had a bit of the best of both worlds in 2015-6 because he brought back Mr. Screen and had a decent laser show too.
    I ordered the Gilmour live album on your recommendation. Thanks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    For those interested, all 4 live concerts David Gilmour are available to watch for free on his official youtube channel.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    For those interested, all 4 live concerts David Gilmour are available to watch for free on his official youtube channel.
    But not the one from 1984.
    C'mon David, 80s need some love too.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He's not crazy about his first solo albums, which is a shame but understandable to a degree. It's really good music but you can tell it was fit to a specific commercial sensibility that he's not had to bother with since becoming a proper solo artist, not just the guy from the band.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The About Face band was tite tho

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    He's not crazy about his first solo albums, which is a shame but understandable to a degree. It's really good music but you can tell it was fit to a specific commercial sensibility that he's not had to bother with since becoming a proper solo artist, not just the guy from the band.
    Aren't AMLOR and TDB kinda Gilmour solo albums too?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Aren't AMLOR and TDB kinda Gilmour solo albums too?
    Maaaybe AMLOR (IIRC it was even started as such), but totally disagree with Division Bell. Nick and Rick were on it in full capacity.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Maaaybe AMLOR (IIRC it was even started as such), but totally disagree with Division Bell. Nick and Rick were on it in full capacity.
    Honestly, I need to spend some more time with TDB. I instantly took to AMLOR and love that album, but couldn't really get into TDB, but I probably just need to give it another spin.

I have also heard fans refer to TFC as more of a Waters solo album That's another one I need to spend more time with.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Honestly, I need to spend some more time with TDB. I instantly took to AMLOR and love that album, but couldn't really get into TDB, but I probably just need to give it another spin.

I have also heard fans refer to TFC as more of a Waters solo album That's another one I need to spend more time with.
    I mean, I love both Lapse and Bell.
    It's The Final Cut that I have a major problem with.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    It's The Final Cut that I have a major problem with.
    Discuss:

Intro: (should include thesis)
    Main Body with three supporting ideas, broken down into multiple paragraphs:
    Conclusion:

Or just a sentence or two.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If they were not labeled as "Pink Floyd", I wouldn't care at all about The Final Cut, AMLOR and Division Bell. Endless what?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Fucking great chat with Roger and Yanis Varoufakis about the Powers that Be.

About 42 minutes in, Roger discusses some of the ideas behind his postponed This Is Not a Drill tour.
    Last edited by botley; 04-29-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If they were not labeled as "Pink Floyd", I wouldn't care at all about The Final Cut, AMLOR and Division Bell. Endless what?
    I've mentioned this somewhere else but imagine if Roger had released The Final Cut as a solo album, AMLOR, Division Bell and Endless River were Gilmour solo recrods, and the Pink Floyd discography ended with The Wall!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Even The Wall was basically Roger and David, with the other two being glorified session musicians.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

June 16th

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is one of the best live show I've seen in dvd/bluray/digital. I was so skeptical at watching Roger Waters and a "tribute band" playing Pink Floyd songs. But the production is top notch. Can't wait to watch it again.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This is one of the best live show I've seen in dvd/bluray/digital. I was so skeptical at watching Roger Waters and a "tribute band" playing Pink Floyd songs. But the production is top notch. Can't wait to watch it again.
    Is Us + Them going to get a blue-Ray release? Didn't see it on Amazon.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Looks like this is just coming out digitally for now

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yep, the on-demand version is just the main feature as shown in theatres already (it was also briefly available on Amazon Prime, then yanked after a couple of days, which is how I first saw it). Digital download includes the bonuses (behind-the-scenes documentary, plus additional songs "Smell the Roses" and "Comfortably Numb"). Probably will be DVD/Blu-ray versions down the line, as well.
    Last edited by botley; 05-21-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    ‘Us & Them Tour’ BluRay/DVD/3xLP/2xCD on September 30th. Pre-orders are up!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Another excellent entry in the "encores from home" series:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)