Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Radiohead

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    May I suck the life out of the party and say that the studio version of True Love Waits takes away from the emotion we all know and looove?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I really do think many of these songs are growers, the numbers hit me really hard today- just so much going on in this song.

I also first thought the present tense had the emotions sucked out of it and the more i listen to it the more i realize i was extremely wrong. Is it "this dance" or "distance". I really like the mixing and at 230 you start hearing the music building, its a brilliant song- one of my favorite songs ever. I can say that because this song is 7 years old.

I also would have liked burn the witch more if I didn't hear it before the record came out, its funny how that works. I find myself not going back to that song.

True love waits is kind of strange because it came out on the live record " I might be wrong" and its hard not to feel like the song hasn't been released. I think they been trying to get this song right for many years, When I saw them in Los Angeles in 2008 they played true love waits and it sounded more like the album version than the live record "i might be wrong". Either way I think when a song you fall in love with live is changed drastically it doesn't really sit well. I think the best way to listen to these old songs is to listen to them like it's new song and stop comparing. EI - Videotape, Jigsaw falling into pieces, Present tense, and true love waits
    Last edited by Rdm; 05-16-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Album's doing pretty well. A big world tour next year seems all but certain at this point.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Loving this. Great audio and steady video. So far they've played the first four songs on the new album in order...

No string section or choir, but Jonny was playing "Burn the Witch" with a violin bow on his guitar and everything sounds pretty epic.

EDIT: Now it's over, stream continues over at https://www.periscope.tv/Twisted_Tra.../1dRJZkDolZVxB as they play "Ful Stop" and now "Morning Mr. Magpie".
    Last edited by botley; 05-20-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Anyone else kinda disappointed by the live visuals and Thom's rough voice?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Anyone else kinda disappointed by the live visuals and Thom's rough voice?
    It's probably because people died on their last tour because of their elaborate visual production- the roadies didn't set their stage up correct and I believe 2-3 people died because part their stage fell. It really wasn't Radiohead's fault but I read they took it pretty hard and cancelled some shows
    Last edited by Rdm; 05-21-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It's also possible that the stage design is more minimal because it's really difficult for trucks to travel between European borders nowadays and costs a fortune. But I mean, yeah they could also still have a bit of PTSD about that stage collapse.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    It's probably because people died on their last tour because of their elaborate visual production- the roadies didn't set their stage up correct and I believe 2-3 people died because part their stage fell. It really wasn't Radiohead's fault but I read they took it pretty hard and cancelled some shows
    That's quite incorrect. Lawsuits are still ongoing, but essentially, the facts are this: Radiohead's full indoor arena production, with an elaborate flown moving rig (think Lights in the Sky/Tension 2013), was brought to Toronto by Live Nation for an outdoor show. It was they who hired a local crew to build the faulty outdoor superstructure that couldn't support its weight, and found an engineer that would sign off on the safety of it — not Radiohead or any of their road crew. The catastrophic show that day was not rescheduled, but they honoured the remaining tour dates later in that year with a smaller video and lighting rig, which had to be rebuilt entirely from scratch.

Radiohead's lighting and video equipment are kept in their storage space between tours, as it is all customized and upgraded gradually over time... and pretty much all of it was destroyed by that collapse in addition to the tragic single death and several injuries others sustained as a result. This new stage setup seems to be, once more, a slight improvement on what was previously in place: an addition upon the rebuilt rig from four years ago. Should they continue touring next year, we can expect it to be added upon again and tweaked as time goes by. Radiohead have had the same lighting and video designer since 1994, Andi Watson. He explains a bit about his process in this interview from the tour just before the collapse.
    Last edited by botley; 05-21-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    That's quite incorrect. Lawsuits are still ongoing, but essentially, the facts are this: Radiohead's full indoor arena production, with an elaborate flown moving rig (think Lights in the Sky/Tension 2013), was brought to Toronto by Live Nation for an outdoor show. It was they who hired a local crew to build the faulty outdoor superstructure that couldn't support its weight, and found an engineer that would sign off on the safety of it — not Radiohead or any of their road crew. The catastrophic show that day was not rescheduled, but they honoured the remaining tour dates later in that year with a smaller video and lighting rig, which had to be rebuilt entirely from scratch.

Radiohead's lighting and video equipment are kept in their storage space between tours, as it is all customized and upgraded gradually over time... and pretty much all of it was destroyed by that collapse in addition to the tragic single death and several injuries others sustained as a result. This new stage setup seems to be, once more, a slight improvement on what was previously in place: an addition upon the rebuilt rig from four years ago. Should they continue touring next year, we can expect it to be added upon again and tweaked as time goes by. Radiohead have had the same lighting and video designer since 1994, Andi Watson. He explains a bit about his process in this interview from the tour just before the collapse.
    Yikes, the only thing correct I wrote was they will probably keep it more simple this time around

I didn't watch many of the videos to make a a valid point about Thom's voice. I'm just happy I got tickets to see them in august.

Question, is there a limited edition colored vinyl coming out in June? I didn't see that because I was in a rush to buy the boxset, I figured the boxset would be the limited release.
    Last edited by Rdm; 05-21-2016 at 09:35 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Wow, that was a great post. Thanks. I had no idea the story ran so deep. My impression was that the stage collapse had nothing to do with the actual video production, hence me not understanding why they couldn't do something similar this time around. Knowing the rest of the story, it makes more sense to me now, but still looks a tad underwhelming from some of the videos I saw so far. Who knows, maybe it'll be different in North America.

I also also listened to most of Saturday's gig on a stream, and Thom sounded MUCH better.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Last edited by botley; 05-22-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yikes, the only thing correct I wrote was they will probably keep it more simple this time around

I didn't watch many of the videos to make a a valid point about Thom's voice. I'm just happy I got tickets to see them in august.

Question, is there a limited edition colored vinyl coming out in June? I didn't see that because I was in a rush to buy the boxset, I figured the boxset would be the limited release.
    There's an indie only white vinyl coming out I think (I think it's indie only, not certain). Not sure if it's limited.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Indie colored vinyl due in mid-June, already sold out at Turntable Lab
    http://www.turntablelab.com/collecti...inyl-vinyl-2lp

It says they're expecting more stock, so maybe not so limited. Think it's just a special release to support independent shops for folks that want a special colored vinyl version.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    "Removed by user"
    what was it?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Edited above post to correct the link.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    They just played Creep.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    In preparation for some new things I put some Radiohead albums on the car USB key recently, and this morning "Supercollider" and "The Butcher" were playing - I almost forgot about these two, very very good!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    damn, these setlists are heaters. second night seems to be the night to go, as usual.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Do you guys think the white limited vinyl will come out with more. Do you think I should buy it for 75 on eBay if I want to get it ?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Do you guys think the white limited vinyl will come out with more. Do you think I should buy it for 75 on eBay if I want to get it ?
    Would it not be cheaper to.import it? https://boomkat.com/products/a-moon-shaped-pool

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Maybe I'm just more mature and coming from a different place in my life after such a long break, but I feel like the new album has really cast the Radiohead back catalogue in a different light for me. Small turns of phrase, melodic embellishments and rhythmic patterns that weren't immediately remarkable about certain songs, from King of Limbs going all the way back to The Bends, are humming with new resonances. It also helps that XL has reissued all of the Parlophone-era singles and EPs on streaming services in their proper configuration at last, as opposed to jumbled up in silly 'deluxe editions' with all the B-sides stuck together randomly. Everything is in its right place.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If anybody wants some good sounding live Radiohead, this tublr page is an excellent resource.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    At first I didnt like desert island disk, but it really grew on me.

waking up from shutdown

from a thousand years of sleep
    in you.. you know what i mean

different types of love are possible

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So A Moon Shaped Pool is on Spotify. Wonder how Yorke thinks about that.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    That's about as shocking as Pearl Jam playing Ticketmaster venues.